Radware DefensePro OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Radware DefensePro is #5 ranked solution in top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. IT Central Station users give Radware DefensePro an average rating of 8 out of 10. Radware DefensePro is most commonly compared to Arbor DDoS:Radware DefensePro vs Arbor DDoS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Radware DefensePro?

DefensePro is a real-time, perimeter attack mitigation device that secures organizations against emerging network and applications threats.

Part of Radware’s attack mitigation solution, DefensePro protects the infrastructure against network and application downtime (or slow time), application vulnerability exploitation, malware spread, network anomalies, information theft and other types of attacks.

Radware DefensePro was previously known as "Radware Defense Pro".

Radware DefensePro Buyer's Guide

Download the Radware DefensePro Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Radware DefensePro Customers

SingleHop

Radware DefensePro Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Radware DefensePro pricing:
  • "The pricing is based on the amount of network traffic and the number of packets being inspected."
  • "The initial cost is over $100,000 for one appliance."
  • "The price was well over six figures."
  • "The Radware DefensePro was bundled together with our security platform."

Radware DefensePro Reviews

Muyideen  Adewale
Information Systems Management Specialist at Mission Control NOC and Helpdesk Services
Reseller
Verbose and descriptive reporting, reliable, and it is easy to scale

• "The reporting is very good and provides us with a comprehensive description of where attacks are emanating from."
  • "This solution may not cover all of the requirements in situations for which I am unfamiliar, and there is always room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I set this solution up for a company who was using it as their edge security solution. It was used to secure the entire infrastructure for the company and helped to protect against DDoS attacks. It was being used in conjunction with a load balancing solution and an open-source firewall running on CentOS.

I was working with them at the time that this solution was deployed, but I have now moved.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has given us protection against our network being compromised. All of our customers are depending on services that are offered on our network, and DefensePro makes sure that it is protected and customers have access to these services at every point in time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the DDoS protection.

The reporting is very good and provides us with a comprehensive description of where attacks are emanating from. The solution mitigates against these attacks in real-time and you can see where their base path is routing from.

If for any reason, DefensePro goes offline, it doesn't prevent your infrastructure from functioning or your customers from reaching you. Obviously, the protection will not be there, but your customers can still reach the services that you are hosting internally. This is a good feature because otherwise, it would be a single point of failure for your entire infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

We implemented this solution in 2015 and it is still working.

This solution is quite stable. If the device is ever offline then you can still have everybody access the entire infrastructure. This is important in Africa, where power is not always stable. You can just wake up in the morning and discover that the power provider has made a mistake and the entire infrastructure is down. Once the power is restored, this solution boots up and simply begins working again.

Radware DefensePro is highly scalable. You have to imagine the high volume of packet inspection. As you add more links, you want the inspection capability to be able to handle more packets. It is just a matter of buying more licenses that allow you to inspect more packets.

This solution is part of the security wall that is protecting between 600 and 700 users in a call center services environment. Several call centers across the country are relying on DefensePro as part of their edge security.

The technical support is okay. They are very accessible and they have different levels of services, depending on your plan.

We did use another solution prior to this but we were getting a lot of attacks. This meant that we were paying a lot for bandwidth and our customers were complaining that our services were not happening in a timely manner. Based on this, we felt that our solution was insufficient to protect the infrastructure, which is why we switched to Radware.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took about three days and the plan was executed such that there was minimal disruption to the business services.

We had been satisfied with the outcome of the simulation and everything we did before actually migrating to the production environment.

Two staff members, both system administrators, are handling maintenance. The same two people focus primarily on the edge protection devices.

The company had two consultants visit from Radware and assist with the deployment. They were very helpful, supportive, and trained us in such a way that we were confident in handling the solution on our own and no longer needed to depend on them.

All the way from the testing phase to the deployment stage, the Radware consultants were there to support our efforts and everything was successful.

Before choosing Radware DefensePro, we did an extensive evaluation of all of the solutions that were available. This is a fantastic solution and it met all of our requirements at the time, which is why it was chosen.

What other advice do I have?

The reporting provides us with a lot of interesting and rich data. It allows us to have total control over what is being protected.

When I first started using this solution, I wondered why it was that the DDoS protection could not be coupled with other edge protection features that I have on my firewall. I questioned why it was that I couldn't have all of the protection in a single box. However, I now realize why it is, from a strategic perspective, and it just makes more sense to have DDoS in its own box.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that you can't assume that everything is right unless you have insight as to what is currently going on within your infrastructure. You can't just relax and think that everything is okay. It is not a good policy to assume that customers are simply complaining about the services and their experience for the sake of complaining. Rather, consider that something is not right and look into it. This begins with getting the proper solutions in place.

Overall, I'm happy with this solution and what it has offered so far. The suitability of using DefensePro depends on your budget and your requirements. My advice is to make sure that you have your requirements right and then compare against the other products that are out there. I tend to believe that this solution is fit for all institutions and in my opinion, anyone who implements this will not regret it because it will serve them well.

While this solution has worked well, I can't say it is perfect because there might be requirements out there that I am unfamiliar with and are not currently being met.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: distributer
LM
Senior Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
MSP
Offers granular control DDoS with good stability and great protection

• "They have a hybrid model approach if a client wants to go that way."
  • "The solution is a little more pricey than other options on the market."

What is most valuable?

Cisco partners with Radware and Radware integrates with Firepower very easily.

The Radware DefensePro module, the virtual module running on Firepower, provides more DDoS protection than, for example, Cloudflare.

There is a long list of all arrays of the DDoS attempt cross-mitigation that it does. ISP just basically does IP-based DDoS or TCB DDoS protections. Radware goes beyond that, into DNS DDoS, content-based DDoS, et cetera, so it has many levels.

With Radware, there's a lot more granular control of what DDoS you're looking at in terms of DDoS visibility and protection.

It's an on-prem appliance, however, they also have a cloud-based appliance, meaning that copies always are on demand.

They have a hybrid model approach if a client wants to go that way.

There's a lot of flexibility, and a lot of different deployment models available whereas Cloudflare, for example, is only in the cloud.

What needs improvement?

There are customers who don't want Firepower. Let's say they have Sophos or they have Palo Alto. We're trying to re-position Radware DefensePro as a separate appliance in their environment.

The solution is a little more pricey than other options on the market.

It could be a little bit more user friendly, however, that said, it's pretty decent compared to a lot of other vendors.

I've only been dealing with the solution for 30 days or so. It's quite new still. I haven't spent that much time with it.

I've never seen the solution go down or fail. Its performance seems reliable. I'd say the stability is good as I have never seen any issues with it. It's not buggy or glitchy. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable as far as performance, yes. However, it is not scalable when in a high availability scenario - meaning a lot of my customers have dual data centers. They have dual firewalls. You can configure the product to be high availability as well, however, it requires a customer to have that private link. It is great when you have two high ability firewalls in the same data center, however, then when you have high ability firewalls at different data centers, you can make it work. I have customers who have high ability firewalls, one in each data center, and they have a private, dark fiber link that syncs both firewalls. You can potentially do the same with this solution.

I haven't gotten a chance to work with technical support. I can't speak to their level of knowledge or their responsiveness in terms of dealing with issues.

I also have experience with Cloudflare. It covers the basics, however, it doesn't cover everything. Whereas, the Firepower that has the Radware DefensePro module in it does DDoS attacks, DNS, content, et cetera.

Cloudflare is also in the cloud. It's template-based. It's a standard template-based subscription that you get with their DDoS. The same applies to all of their customers.

The solution is expensive. it is not a cheap option.

The DefensePro is not a cost-effective solution. It's very expensive. I have a lot of schools - K through 12 school districts. They want DDoS protection. When you're comparing it with a cloud service, which is a new emergent thing, a lot of ISPs offer it. However, if customers want to get their own DDoS protection, you have Cloudflare, who I think is Radware's biggest competitor, and they offer everything in the cloud. If you need something on-premises, it's going to be more expensive.

I did a price comparison between Cloudflare and this product, the three gig model, which is the minimum. What we needed was way too expensive, way over the budget for our client.

The initial cost is over $100,000 for one appliance. That said, in year two, you won't have that cost. With Radware, you pay upfront, and it's your own. Cloudflare, their main competition, is on the cloud and is $37,000 a year. The costs never come down. If you have Radware for three-plus years, you'll begin to see your costs come down as you don't have to keep repaying for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't spent a good amount of time with the solution or with implementations just yet. From what I have seen, I would rate it eight out of ten. The main downside is that it is expensive.

Learn what your peers think about Radware DefensePro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FB
Director Of Infrastructure at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good monitoring helped keep us operational and protected, but the customer service needs improvement

• "It has kept us up and operational on a day-to-day basis, without being interrupted by an attack from outside sources."
  • "This product would be improved if ongoing live monitoring with dashboards were added."

What is our primary use case?

We used this product as part of our security solution. However, we do not plan to continue to use it.

How has it helped my organization?

This product would determine if we were under a DDoS attack, should one happen. It has kept us up and operational on a day-to-day basis, without being interrupted by an attack from outside sources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the monitoring.

What needs improvement?

The customer service needs to be improved. I do not mean the support, but specifically the customer service. They didn't listen to what we were asking for and what we needed. When we went to upgrade, we kept telling them what we needed and they would offer something else. It was as if we were trying to buy oranges and they would offer us apples. We corrected them and offered additional detail, yet they continued to come back and offer us the wrong solution. This was very expensive and ultimately, we decided to look elsewhere.

We had been using Radware DefensePro for probably six years.

This is a very stable product.

Scalability is part of the problem that we were having. We were trying to get them to scale and they wouldn't listen to what we were asking. I know that they have the ability to scale, so I would say there is good scalability with the product.

Our use case was a school district and more than 30,000 people were using it.

This was the first DDoS solution that the company deployed.

I was not here when the initial setup was completed, although I'm assuming that it was pretty straightforward. My understanding is that the deployment took less than 24 hours to do because they were under attack. They contacted Radware to stop the DDoS attack at the time, and they came in and installed it. By the time that it was installed and put into place, the attack had stopped, and it hasn't really been utilized since that time.

The reseller assisted with the deployment and the experience was good.

Staff is required for ongoing maintenance. It would require standard engineers or network engineers.

The price was well over six figures. There are ongoing monthly costs for when they monitor the line and then if you activate the service then there is an additional cost. Essentially, you hold them with a retainer fee, and then when you go active, there could be an additional cost associated.

What other advice do I have?

I know for a fact that Radware DefensePro worked. We tested it over all those years. We tested to make sure that it's operational and that it works. It was a very good product, but it just no longer fit our needs and what we were looking for. At least not that I know of because they would never give us what we asked for. As I said, back to that customer support issue. We asked for it, I know that the company does what we ask, but they would not offer it to us. Instead, they kept trying to offer us things we weren't asking for.

My advice for anybody who is looking at this product is to make sure that they get what they are looking for because they wouldn't listen to what we wanted. I spent a solid year trying to stay with them, but they wouldn't listen. They would come back every two or three months with new offers and it was just crazy. It wasn't what we wanted.

The biggest lesson than I have learned from using this product is to stay on top of your solution provider to make sure that they're providing what you need.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
MM
Network Security Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Good configuration capabilities, good stability, and integrates well with Cisco

• "The product integrates well with Cisco."
  • "The dashboard could be updated."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for preventing distributed denial of service, or DDoS attacks.

What is most valuable?

The ease of installation is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The configuration is very simple and straightforward.

The stability of the product is very good.

The product integrates well with Cisco.

What needs improvement?

We are currently using the solution in conjunction with Cisco Firepower. In terms of the defense devices, I would like to see an improvement within the implementation and upgrade phases.

The dashboard could be updated. It's just the one that is used with Internet Explorer 11 and with outdated Java. It's only a small part of their web interface and is not the entire dashboard.

The implementation process could be a bit better.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point.

It's a very stable product. Once you gather all policies and configure all necessary policies, everything works fine.

There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been reliable in terms of performance.

We've never really tried to scale the solution. I can't speak to how easy it would be to expand it out if you needed to.

We have maybe a thousand users, and it's a very complex environment.

We'd like to maybe just increase the speed in the future - the speed of the WIFI link and internet service provider's uplinks.

Technical support has been fine overall. They are very easy to work with. We're satisfied with the level of support we've been given overall.

We did not previously use a different solution. This is our first tool for this particular purpose.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward and very easy. The configuration process, as well, is excellent and very straightforward. A company shouldn't face any issues when they are implementing the solution.

That said, we have a pretty complex environment. Our implementation process could have been easier.

The deployment process was very fast and took about one week.

There is a different team the deals with pricing, licensing, and subscriptions. I don't have any knowledge as to the overall costs.

We did not evaluate other options. We are a Cisco Gold partner, and this is their recommended and compatible product that works specifically with Cisco Firepower Threat Defense.

What other advice do I have?

We are users of the solution.

We've been mostly very happy with the product. I would rate it at a nine out of ten. They just need better implementation and to work together with Cisco for faster and better results.

Private Cloud
SC
Security Specialist at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up while offering good security from DDoS attacks and reasonable pricing

• "The pricing is reasonable. It's not overly expensive."
  • "There needs to be more reporting."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to protect our cockpit internet line which is serving our cockpit application.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a keen, tight service. It's very good at protecting us from DDoS attacks. It's very good at cleaning our pipeline when support routes traffic through.

The product has been stable. The performance is pretty good.

The pricing is reasonable. It's not overly expensive.

It's my understanding the initial setup isn't too hard.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its communication with users. Last year, there was a lot of silence on their end. There have been communication delays we would rather not deal with.

There needs to be more reporting. I'd like to be able to see more information on traffic or the system's data. Right now, information is lacking, from what I can tell.

I have been at my current company for one year now, and have used it since I started. However, I can't speak to how long the company has used the solution before I arrived.

The solution is stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been good so far.

We may have limitations on the scalability due to our own model. I can't speak to its general scalability.

At the moment, we do not have plans to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is okay, however, it could be better. We're not directly operating the device, and therefore don't have too much access to them, however, there have been some communication breakdowns.

My understanding is that the initial setup is not overly complex. I've heard it's straightforward. I'm not actually the person that does the implementation, and therefore I don't have direct experience in the matter. The equipment seems pretty simple and straightforward.

Currently, the pricing is quite reasonable. We have no complaints when it comes to the cost of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Radware.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using.

I'm not sure if we intend to switch products. In the future, that will depend on if there are any new functions or features, or if the price of a new product is better.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been satisfied with the solution and its capabilities for the most part.

VP Technology at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Simple to install and the ability to create signatures on-demand is helpful

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to create signatures on-demand."
  • "I would like to see more focus on layer seven protection."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of Radware DefensePro is to protect against DDoS attacks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to create signatures on-demand.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with the automated incident response platform, and the ecosystem in general, would be an improvement. Everything should be automated and seamless.

I would like to see more focus on layer seven protection. This is the application layer.

I have been using Radware DefensePro for two years.

We have not noticed any bugs or glitches when using DefensePro.

This solution is used on a daily basis.

We have not been in contact with technical support for issues other than during setup and deployment. In those cases they were helpful.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is simple. The deployment should take no more than one or two days. There are sometimes challenges during the implementation, which is why it takes this long to complete. The support from Radware is very helpful.

We normally use an integrator to assist us with deployment.

The Radware DefensePro was bundled together with our security platform.

We evaluated other solutions including one by F5.

What other advice do I have?

Normally we do not use the latest version of an application, but one version back, which is the case with this product.

This is a solution that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Radware DefensePro Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.