Radware DefensePro OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Radware DefensePro is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. It is most often compared to Arbor DDoS: Radware DefensePro vs Arbor DDoS

What is Radware DefensePro?

DefensePro is a real-time, perimeter attack mitigation device that secures organizations against emerging network and applications threats.

Part of Radware’s attack mitigation solution, DefensePro protects the infrastructure against network and application downtime (or slow time), application vulnerability exploitation, malware spread, network anomalies, information theft and other types of attacks.

Radware DefensePro is also known as "Radware Defense Pro".

Radware DefensePro Buyer's Guide

Download the Radware DefensePro Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Radware DefensePro Customers

SingleHop

Radware DefensePro Video

Archived Radware DefensePro Reviews (more than two years old)

SB
Product Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A stable user-friendly solution with good integration capabilities

• "All of our traffic has to pass through the appliance, so we can very quickly mitigate the attack. This is a very valuable feature. On top of that, it's not only volumetric attack protection that the solution offers, but also layer 7 attack protection as well."
  • "The solution needs a bit more functionality. It would be good if DefensePro could have anti-bot functionalities in order to stop bots like web scrapers from getting onto our customers’ network."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for attack prevention.

What is most valuable?

All of our traffic has to pass through the appliance, so we can very quickly mitigate the attack. This is a very valuable feature. On top of that, it's not only volumetric attack protection that the solution offers, but also layer 7 attack protection as well.

Another valuable aspect is that DefensePro can work together with Alteon and AppWall as one big platform. We can offer one holistic web application firewall, which covers aspects such as layer 7 protection, volumetric protection, and the web application firewall. The integration potential of the solution is great.

The solution is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There was occasionally a lack of communication between the distributors, the vendor, and companies that can affect how the solution operates or is implemented. The level of knowledge of the product by support was not so high in the past. There were miscommunications about integration capabilities. This is just something I noticed, and it was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if the problems have already been dealt with, or if it was a one-off case.

The solution needs a bit more functionality. It would be good if DefensePro could have anti-bot functionalities in order to stop bots like web scrapers from getting onto our customers’ network.

The solution should aim to be a multi-functional platform. It could be cloud as well, but offer a mix of functionalities under one line of products.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution can scale, but the license model could be more flexible.

Technical support is okay.

The initial setup isn't too easy. Know-how is very important when implementing the solution and without that, the solid security policy is risky. It's not worth it to do it without a good amount of technical knowledge.

There are other vendors that offer similar solutions, but we came to the conclusion that Radware would be the best for us. It helps us to sell the service, not only to customers who use our internet access but to others as well.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

It's a very, very good solution. I would recommend it to others.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

OS
Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A stable solution with good DDoS protection

• "The DDoS protection that the solution provides is its most valuable feature."
  • "I had some trouble in the registration account prior to deployment, but it was fixed. They were not very fast or responsive, however. It took about one week to resolve the issue."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used to protect our web services and mail.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to integrate the solution into our network without it affecting the network overall.

What is most valuable?

The DDoS protection that the solution provides is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The documentation needs improvement and the best practices need adjustments. I find I spend a lot of time searching for information and documentation related to implementation. They need to provide better sources to make things easier.

The performance needs to be better.

The solution needs high availability. It would help you avoid some of the trouble with configuration.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The stability of the solution is good. I've never had any issues.

My understanding with the product is that it is scalable but I don't have enough experience with it yet to make a clear determination.

Technical support is okay. I had some trouble in the registration account prior to deployment, but it was fixed. They were not very fast or responsive, however. It took about one week to resolve the issue.

We did not previously use another solution.

Implementation is straightforward, once you have all the necessary documentation. I couldn't find any documentation until I was registered, however. They don't have enough public information about the solution. Before registering, I couldn't do anything. This was a new product for me, so it was important for me to have access to the implementation guide before starting.

You only need one person to handle the implementation.

I implemented the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Radware DefensePro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Victor López Medina
Implementation Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Provides protection and blocks malicious invasions meant to stop a web site from being functional

• "A flexible affordable solution for defense against DDos attacks."
  • "It could incorporate more intelligence for reacting with web site visitors."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to prevent DDos attacks. These block legitimate users from accessing a website. DDoS attacks send more requests than the victim server can handle.

How has it helped my organization?

This application provides protection and blocks malicious invasions meant to stop a web site from being functional.

What is most valuable?

The defense against DDos attacks is the primary use, but the product provides other network security as well.

What needs improvement?

Converting or offering integration with the cloud solution would improve the product. Maybe a solution that does more to track the behaviors for the site and enhance the intelligence and proactive behavior.

We have been using the product for about six months.

The product is very stable. I don't need to make adjustments and there is no downtime.

The scalability on the cloud is something we do gradually. It is very scalable. We will eventually scale up but it won't be necessary for a few years.

Really, I don't have a need to contact technical support. The support materials are good enough and the product works well.

We were using another solution but it did not specifically do what this product can do. Because of our business and new regulations, we needed to protect traffic differently to be legally compliant.

Setup is very easy. It has a simple interface and it has good resources. It is a simple step-by-step process. It is very fast. We did use two people for the deployment.

It is very easy to deploy and I did it myself.

It is hard to really measure a return on our investment. It keeps us from attacks and that has inherent value.

The product isn't cheap but it is also not expensive. It is affordable. It does the job we need it to do well. We lease on a yearly basis.

We looked very briefly at specifications for other solutions but I was already familiar with what this product could do.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten. It's easy to deploy and efficient for protecting us from attacks. It is fast for processing positives, even on multiple platforms. You need just a few minutes to set up the standard product and maybe one-hour maximum to do something more complicated.

HG
Head Of Operations at RAH InfoTech (P) Ltd
Reseller
Secures our network for all incoming traffic against denial of service attacks and other intrusions

• "With the secure signature feature, the Radware DefensePro is a big assistance. It is a big help to our customers to improve their productivity and performance. The prompt response from the Radware team is definitely increasing in the new era."
  • "Radware DefensePro requires a continuous learning process. Using this technology, we can improve our network. Based on the different attack mechanisms, we use Radware DefensePro to provide security for our clients' networks very effectively."

What is our primary use case?

We use Radware DefensePro as a part of a shock security operation center and for securing our network. For our servers, we use Radware DefensePro

I always recommend this for the banking and manufacturing sectors where we have to secure the networks. It is an anti-DDoS solution.

We have to secure our networks for all incoming traffic, denial of service attacks, and other types of intrusion. We have multiple attacks attempting to access our internal networks.

We install Radware DefensePro as an internal application for external work, which will maintain our security so that the external attacker is unable to access our network services.

To secure our networks from the external world for different types of attacks, we use Radware DefensePro as an anti-DDoS service, which is very effective.

How has it helped my organization?

One of our customers is in the banking sector. Previously, the performance of their network and external servers was very slow. The client frequently has problems with network server downtime from different attacks.

Previously, the client was only using firewalls to secure the port structure. Now, after installing the Radware DefensePro anti-DDoS solution, they are 99% secure.

Over the last year, there has been no less frequency of the attacks. Radware DefensePro has been invaluable to the customers. They are using it seamlessly to protect their networks.

What is most valuable?

With the secure signature feature, the Radware DefensePro is a big assistance. It is a big help to our customers to improve their productivity and performance. The prompt response from the Radware team is definitely increasing in the new era.

Radware DefensePro is already working well for us, but I want a little bit of improvement, i.e. zero downtime.

What needs improvement?

We have no problem at all with Radware DefensePro. I have recommended it to more than 50 clients with no complaints about the interface's ease of use.

There are some technical issues. For first time users, the security configuration is a continuous learning process. It is not easy.

Radware DefensePro requires a continuous learning process. Using this technology, we can improve our network. That is why we recommend the product for security monitoring.

Based on the different attack mechanisms, we use Radware DefensePro to provide security for our clients' networks very effectively.

I like the stability of Radware DefensePro. I'm a diehard fan of Radware DefensePro and the vast functionality. The IPS solution is awesome from the Radware site.

Radware DefensePro is very scalable. We use it with more than 15 customers, some in manufacturing, some in banking. They are using Radware DefensePro very effectively. From my understanding, there have been no issues reported.

Depending on the network and the client agreement, the product can be deployed within 2 days. We streamline processes over 15 days to implement the policies.

We use Radware DefensePro in order to streamline hand holding and gift turning. We generally recommend the product to our customers. All of our customers use Radware DefensePro effectively and there have been no complaints.

If any of our clients experience issues, the customer support from Radware resolves them quickly. Otherwise, our team will resolve the issues personally.

We require only two people to maintain the solution. One is a solution architect and the second is a deployment guide. Our team requires fifteen days to monitor and streamline the process.

Usually, our customers implement this solution every day for 24/7/365 banking and manufacturing automation in the data center.

Radware's customer service is very good. My team always uses it. It's definitely something they need to improve on, but we don't have any complaints at all.

In my experience, I have used multiple technologies, but I feel that the most effective solution is always from Radware.

Radware DefensePro is easy to deploy and integrate with different technologies. It is simple.

For the deployment strategy, sometimes we have to use the line mode, and sometimes we use a different structure. The configuration is purely dependent upon the network, i.e. which segment that you are deploying.

Sometimes, in order to establish automation in a cloud data center, we have to take the product and design some custom settings. Sometimes, we have in-house data center requirements, so we have to design those accordingly.

We can setup Radware DefensePro within one or two days, i.e. easily within one day. The product does not take more than two days at a time to integrate.

With Radware DefensePro, integration with multiple applications is included in the solution setup. In our company, there is a dedicated team that takes care of the setup. For my own position, I only have to use this technology.

I'm a die hard fan of Radware DefensePro. I'm using it and recommending it everywhere. When I evaluated security products for the enterprise sector, we tried Symantec products.

What other advice do I have?

When we talk about the technical features of Radware DefensePro, the outcome is that we recommend it to most of our customers. We always suggest to try and test it before acquiring the product. We always suggest that the customer do the POC.

We value the customer experience of how easy the Radware DefensePro solution is. The product is a great help to them.

When we talk about the different new features required, Radware needs to incorporate a feature for better security alerts.

I would rate this product a 9.5 out of ten overall because it is easy to use and for the performance against internal/external attacks. The response times from the Radware customer support team is very awesome.

I rate Radware DefensePro with 9.5, but you can easily say that the product deserves a 10.

it_user740568
SolArch2098 at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Speed of signature updates is a key feature for us

• "A valuable feature is the speed of signature updates."
  • "SSL-based mitigation from DDoS attacks is good from their side. They are capable of preventing SSL-based attacks with certifications and everything loaded onto them."
  • "It has not gone down for a quite long time. It's working fine."
  • "If they would go to a cloud-based approach, that would give much more flexibility in terms of working with them."
  • "They should add artificial intelligence to the platform. It is currently missing the machine learning piece."
  • "I would like to see better implementation of a zero-day attack implementation strategy with self-mitigation."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for DDoS protection, especially from low-rate DDoS attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

We use this product for various services which are delivered to our end customers.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is the speed of signature updates. We have received a better response from the team that does technical support.

SSL-based mitigation from DDoS attacks is good from their side. They are capable of preventing SSL-based attacks with certifications and everything loaded onto them.

What needs improvement?

From a service provider's point of view, I would like to see better scalability in terms of a platform, rather than sticking to specific models. From a subscription or model-of-operations point of view, I think they should scale it better.

It's stable. There is no question or doubt about it.

It has not gone down for a quite long time. It's working fine.

Scalability is okay. I would rate it as a nine out of ten.

We have eight to 11 people using the solution.

Their tech support is fantastic. Their response time has been good.

It was a straightforward setup. Deployment was not a challenge, and it took a few weeks.

The product's pricing is a good value.

The cost for maintenance is cheaper because the majority of the deployments using the solution are in areas where cost of maintenance is also lower.

We also evaluated Arbor DDoS. Licensing of Radware is quite simple and straightforward, while Arbor DDos is a bit complicated.

When we looked at changing the platform, two things came to mind. One is the scalability issue, in terms of adding more appliances into a cluster form to have better throughput. Secondly, we looked at the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

It's a straightforward, simple installation. I don't see any complexity in doing it. Even a person with a basic understanding of how a Radware platform works will be able to do it.

In case of any challenges in terms of deployment, upgrades, or in change management, the technical support is there to help us. They do miss out in terms of the cloud-based approach.

it_user628056
Business Solutions Representative at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Data scrubbing and unmatched DDoS protection are valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

There is no latency. After proper setup and testing, we had no intrusions that were not detected.

What is most valuable?

Data scrubbing and unmatched DDoS protection are valuable features.

I have used DefensePro for three years.

It is very stable.

We are not that big, but I know many large scale corporations who deploy Radware DefensePro, such as Bell and Telus.

Technical support is excellent. I have a support technician who I can call 24/7.

We switched due the reliability of this…

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Data scrubbing and unmatched DDoS protection are valuable features.

I have used DefensePro for three years.

It is very stable.

We switched due the reliability of this appliance.

We needed support for testing and implementation. They will point you to tutorials and assist you where needed.

It’s not the cheapest, but it’s the best.

We looked at F5 and Arbor Networks.

What other advice do I have?

Let sales engineering guide you through the reasons to use this product. They will be honest if it is the right solution for you.

Download our free Radware DefensePro Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.