Rapid7 InsightVM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Rapid7 InsightVM is #2 ranked solution in top Vulnerability Management tools. IT Central Station users give Rapid7 InsightVM an average rating of 8 out of 10. Rapid7 InsightVM is most commonly compared to Tenable Nessus:Rapid7 InsightVM vs Tenable Nessus. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Rapid7 InsightVM?

Rapid7 InsightVM is the vulnerability assessment tool built for the modern web. InsightVM combines complete ecosystem visibility, an unparalleled understanding of the attacker mindset, and the agility of SecOps so you can act before impact.

Rapid7 InsightVM was previously known as InsightVM, NeXpose.

Rapid7 InsightVM Buyer's Guide

Download the Rapid7 InsightVM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Rapid7 InsightVM Customers

ACS, Acosta, AllianceData, amazon.com, biogen idec, CBRE, CATERPILLAR, Deloitte, COACH, GameStop, IBM

Rapid7 InsightVM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Rapid7 InsightVM pricing:
  • "Our licensing costs are somewhere around $40,000 annually. There are no additional fees."
  • "Its price is too high. My only concern or issue with Rapid7 is its pricing."

Rapid7 InsightVM Reviews

Bill Young
Director of Cyber Security (CISO) at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
Broad capabilities make this scanning solution able to cover a lot of ground

• "It is good and fits well with pretty much all of our use case needs."
  • "You can bring in and get online to do reports fairly quickly,"
  • "The product does not have the capability to do dynamic scanning of non-web applications."
  • "Reporting could be expanded."
  • "There are end-user needs and expectations that are being overlooked in the development that could be addressed by appointing a customer advisory board."

What is our primary use case?

In our first use case, we wanted to map the solution back to our NIS (Network and Information Systems) framework and the CIS (Center for Internet Security that publishes Critical Security Controls). That is the first part. The second part of this same use case is that we wanted to do continuous vulnerability scanning. That is we wanted to scan the complete network every month at a minimum. What we are finding out in practice is that we are scanning every week because of our network and the size of it. In the end, we are able to get even more aggressive than our original position.

The next use case was we wanted to identify the assets that were in our environment. We can identify how many servers we have, we have identified how many desktops and laptops we have got, et cetera. To that point is where we were looking at pretty good.

Our next use case was the obvious next step where we wanted to identify vulnerabilities. That meant identifying all the vulnerabilities from critical all the way down to the low. We needed to know what they were and how many. Also, we wanted to know how many are unique versus how many there are in total.

We also wanted to get away from tracking vulnerabilities on spreadsheets. It was incredibly cumbersome, incredibly hard to do, and it was not efficient. The IT guys kept telling me that they did not know how to fix certain issues. So I thought we needed to do CVSS ( Common Vulnerability Scoring System) on it. They were a bit resistant to that idea. Well, I was not about to start doing that for them. So InsightVM gives us the ability now to track the issues and communicate how the remediation should occur to fix vulnerabilities.

Then the last thing is we wanted was to have a dashboard for management. We had to have a dashboard to be able to have a CIO (Chief Information Officer) log in and find out where we sit with things. Like where do we sit with remediation where are we failing to make expected progress and things of that nature.

Rapid7 gave us the ability to do a lot of that, and it was not a cumbersome tool to implement. It is good and fits well with pretty much all of our use case needs. It only falls short in a couple of spots.

What needs improvement?

Now that we have been using it, I think there are some things Rapid7 needs to consider and address in improving InsightsVM. I think the reporting piece has room for improvement. While they have a lot of reporting, and some of the reporting is really good, there are some things that I think they can do better on. They need to add some categories that are not covered and expand a few things that have only surface coverage.

I would love to be on a customer advisory board so that I could provide feedback to them and show them what their solution does not do. For example, I could point out things that I can not do with a widget on the dashboard that I would expect it to be able to do. Things like that might help them improve the product from a real user's perspective. That could amount to a lot of different things, but ideally, it would focus on your most common issues.

There were a couple of things I know that the security analyst and I were looking at and we were wondering why Rapid7 would choose to implement it that way. Like if they did not include something we needed as part of a report, we could not do what we expected when running the report. That is a little frustrating. I would say that they need to spend some more time evaluating enhancements suggested by customers so that they can get those things implemented and round out the user experience. That is the reason why I think a CAB (Customer Advisory Board) is important for vendors like Rapid7.

We rolled it out in our operations between June and September. So we have been using it since June of 2020.

I do not know at this point just how scalable this solution is. We bought it for an enterprise solution, so our enterprise need is getting solved. I do not know how much scaling we have to do on top of that. I do not like the fact that as a vulnerability scanner, this product has a fault to a certain extent. We want to be able to scan applications dynamically and this solution does not give us that ability. It does for web apps. But if you are a company that does not have a lot of web apps, something is getting left uncovered.

Let's say you have a third-party app. You go to that third-party developer and you ask if they have ever done a security attestation on the application. They look at you and like they have no idea what the heck you are talking about and they have no idea what that means. It would be good, in that case, to be able to take the Rapid7 product and point it at that third-party app and scan it dynamically. That way you can get code vulnerabilities or functional vulnerabilities. What would otherwise be a problem is something you could identify and isolate. If Rapid7 looked at the scripting and identified a secret injection attack at line 1,141 — or something to that effect — it could be vetted. It does do that, but it only does that on web applications. Why stop there?

In order to solve that issue, you have to go out and buy another third-party product that allows you to scan the application to do dynamic or static vulnerability scanning on the application. I do not like that omission because I had that capability with Qualys. We could take Qualys and we could point it at an application and get dynamic scanning reports from it. It told us a line that needed to be fixed and everything.

I have not yet gotten into the bowels of that discussion with Rapid7, but I want to. What I did find out about it is our current setup does not cover that type of potential application vulnerability. It does allow for some scanning of web applications, but we are not a company that has a lot of web applications. We are not a retail organization. We do not sell anything. We do have web applications, but they are mainly used for marketing.

We probably have close to a dozen people in our organization who are currently interfacing in some way with Rapid7 InsightVM. That part is scalable. The utility does have those certain limitations, however.

We have a client service manager for Rapid7 tech support. He is an appointed customer service manager where we have him for the first year. We are working with him to identify things, correct things, implement, attune, and things like that. Because of that relationship, I do not have a need to call their regular tech support right now. We just worked through the service manager.

I have had some previous experience with Qualys and using Rapid7 now is really a matter of what I chose to bring on based on my personal user experience. Each has its own advantages and neither is a bad product.

The initial installation and setup were pretty much straightforward. We did run into an issue with credentialing. We ended up working through that and got that correct.

I think it was done fairly quickly overall. When we ran into that credentialing issue, we spent about three weeks or so — almost a month — working through that. The issue meant involving some guys from some of the other IT teams and getting them into the mix to help us out.

What other advice do I have?

I had implemented InsightVM before at another company. I liked it when we were using it there which is why it ended up here. I have also had previous experience with Qualys. I did not have the time or the luxury to sit back and do a full analysis, RFI (Request for Information) and RFP (Request for Proposal) when we had to bring on the solution. We are not the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), we are not the NSA (National Security Agency). We do not need any sophisticated solution or anything like that. We just needed something we could bring in, get online fairly quickly, and get running to do reports. Rapid7 InsightsVM fit the bill.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Rapid7 InsightVM as probably about an eight-out-of-ten. It gets an eight rather than scoring higher just because of some of the other stuff that I wish we had.

Private Cloud
RW
IT Security Architect at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Speed and quality of vulnerability scanning translates to reliable and timely results

• "There are many integrations with things like the VMware NSX that are great, the reporting is really solid."
  • "Some difficulties with the online reporting and lack of integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We have a few primary use cases. The main one is looking at the visibility of devices that are on our network to keep track of things as they come and go, we're looking for known vulnerabilities whether it's the operating system, network devices, mobile devices, and the like. When we find the vulnerabilities we remediate them, so it's also our job to verify that remediations have been successful. In addition, we are now beginning to get involved in setting security baselines and configuring baselines and using InsightVM to audit those configurations.

We're scanning about 6,000 devices. There are about 4,000 users in our environment, they are all IT staff. We also have technical leads from our user services, which is our workstation support, mobile devices, laptops, etc. We've got our infrastructure office which is servers and cloud administration, the IT security group, which is myself, and then our network support team and network administrators as well. It means our IT leadership gets some definite value from the reporting there. The CTO, his assistant, and all the IT managers receive their information from there as well. We have one person working in maintenance, and that's not a full-time position.

What is most valuable?

For us there are many integrations with things like the VMware NSX that are great, the reporting is really solid. I like the ability to set goals and SLAs for remediation. When a new vulnerability is found we can have an SLA associated with it automatically based on severity and some of those things. I like the integration with Cisco ISE for identity and doing automated containments and the like. But the biggest thing for me is the quality of the vulnerability scanning itself. The quality of the results and the timeliness, the speed with which they update with new checks for new vulnerabilities. That is the big thing for us.

What needs improvement?

There are some difficulties with the online reporting and lack of integrations, the information that you can get from the APIs in the software is not the best. There's still some fleshing out of their API that I think could benefit them as well.

I'd like to see more integrations with ticketing systems. Right now, JIRA and ServiceNow are the only ticketing systems that have integration with Rapid7. Extending that would be big. Some additional integrations with some patch management solutions would be good too. IBM BigFix and SCCM. Microsoft has integrations there. In our situation, we're not using either of those and that feature doesn't really give us a whole lot. If there were to be new integrations added on, both on the patch management and the ITMS side, that would be a big improvement.

Additional features would be the additional integrations for ticketing systems that I mentioned. There are always updates rolling out for new scans and things.

We've been using the solution for quite a few years.

I've been impressed with the stability. The only issues that have really come up have been on the cloud reporting aspect. We've had a couple of issues here or there, but their support people were able to get us fixed up in a couple of hours. As far as the on-premises stuff, the only issues we've honestly had with it were problems of our own making. We didn't keep an eye on storage and it filled up but that was a lack of monitoring on our side. Since then it's been rock solid.

I haven't thrown anything at it that it can't handle. The report generation slows down the larger your environment gets, and the greater the number of scans you're trying to integrate into a single report. Even with the increased resources that we gave the server when we did a rebuild hasn't caused any problems. I would anticipate that if you're getting up into the tens of thousands of devices and trying to report across all of those, I could see that grinding to a halt a little bit.

Otherwise, scalability is great. We have more than doubled the number of devices that we're scaling since we did the initial install. We're up to somewhere around 6,000 now and it's chugging right along.

The technical support have been a pleasure to work with.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. There were a couple of things with integrating and some areas where it gets a bit more complex, but for the most part, it was very straightforward, especially for how powerful a solution it is. We're running a fairly advanced setup here with multiple scanning engines, scanning pools, and integrations into other systems in our environment and all of that. Defining all of the sites and asset grouping and all of those sorts of things, took some additional time after that. You'd have to do that no matter what.

We used professional services from Rapid7 to assist with the initial deployment and set up was completed in less than two days. They were great. They took their time and didn't just do the setup, they also included user education and they have continued to reach out since then and make sure we're getting value from the product.

Our licensing costs are somewhere around $40,000 annually. There are no additional fees. We will probably increase our license count annually as our environment kind of naturally grows. We started out with probably about a third of the network covered and we are up to probably 75, 80% now. We'll get that up to over 99%, I'm sure.

We looked at a few other options: Acunetix was on the list and we looked at Manage Engine, Nessus, Rubric, Alien Vault, Microfocus, ArcSight, FireMon and RedSeal. On the vulnerability management side, we were very, very impressed with Rapid7 and the Insight VMware product. We looked more in-depth at a few of the others but VMware Insight stood out. The ease of use on VMware Insight coming from an organization that doesn't have a large dedicated security team, and being able to split out some of those responsibilities amongst people who may have a strong IT background, but may not have an IT security background really helped us out. It became a no-brainer at that point.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to take the time to have a full understanding of how schemes are scheduled, how sites and asset groups are set up and make sure it's done upfront. It's a big help. If you remove an old site and recreate it with small differences you lose some of the data associated with the old site. Getting the organization sorted from the beginning would be the biggest piece of advice.

It's very important to know what your environment is made up of. People often leave companies without documenting things and there's a lot that not everybody knows about because it was in the back of someone's mind. We now have a great repository of information on what's active on our network, what's installed on it, how all of those systems are interacting, and really having that visibility is great. One of the big lessons we were able to get value from immediately was really just having good visibility of what's in our environment.

It's a very solid product, reporting is great, it's reliable. We have a lot of faith in the results it gives us. At least once a week, I get a notification with some great new features that they've added that I didn't really even know I wanted, but now I have it and can't imagine life without it.

The product is cloud-based, but with an on-prem portion, but it all auto-updates. The actual scanning engine and all of that is on-prem for us. It's a SaaS solution, it's not one where we are running our own servers. It's provided as a service for us on the cloud. The on-premises stuff that we're running is just virtual machines on our VMware environment.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Rapid7 InsightVM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MH
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Understands and defends your network from vulnerabilities

• "I liked the dashboard on it. I could customize my dashboard with different widgets and different heat maps."
  • "I would say that it improved our visibility, but it left things open."

What is our primary use case?

We used InsightVM mainly for vulnerability management. I thought it was a pretty interesting application. I'm a fan of Rapid7's Metasploit, so when I saw InsightVM I was like, "Let's see what else they have." I liked it up until we experienced some issues relating to scans. If I wanted to do mitigation, I needed to wait until the next scan was available or ran so that I could get to see if any indentations were made.

While I was in there, if I was searching for a specific vulnerability, sometimes it was hard to find the specific ones. In the dashboard, it'll tell you the results from the scans, and it will also tell you the vulnerabilities and it will rank them for risk. I would have liked to have been able to click on the vulnerability and it would take me to another area that just has the vulnerability with all the hosts. It wouldn't let you do that. You had to come back out of that window and go into another window and search for it. Well, you wouldn't get the same results as the number of hosts. I had to work a little bit harder to find exactly what I needed.

Within our organization, there were two of us using it. Both of us were IT analysts. One was an IT analyst III (which was me), and the other one was the IT analyst manager.

How has it helped my organization?

I would say that it improved our visibility, but it left things open.

What is most valuable?

I liked the dashboard on it. I could customize my dashboard with different widgets and different heat maps. I liked that. That was a feature I liked. If your manager had a different dashboard that they liked, and you tried to go into a meeting and they say, "Well, I think your numbers are wrong because my dashboard says this" Well, you couldn't rapidly say, "Here's the default dashboard for this for risk." Whereas, with Tenable, you could go through a dashboard just for risks, and say, "Hey, let's switch to this dashboard so we're seeing the same numbers without customization."

What needs improvement?

They just need to fix it to make it more fluid. If it shows you vulnerabilities, I want to be able to click on the vulnerability and drill down into the vulnerability. If it's rating it as a 10 and it says it's got 30 hosts in it for this vulnerability, I want to click on that vulnerability and get a separate report that says, "Here's the vulnerability specific and here's the host involved." That way I could export it and say, "Hey, this vulnerability's out there, it matches a CVE number that is critical, that Microsoft, Cisco, whatever, has put a patch out there, and here guys, here's what it is and here's the proof. Here's your host that's vulnerable. Here's a change request, fix it, send me back the proof that you fixed it, then allow me to rerun a scan specific to that, on-demand, to say 'Yes, boss, we have mitigated it.'"

I want to be able to just drill down on the reports. If it showing me there's a vulnerability and there's a said number of nodes that's vulnerable to it, I want to be able to drill down and export that list without having to come back out of it, going into my assets, trying to find the name of the vulnerability, which doesn't match what the dashboard says. To me, that was backward.

I have used this solution for one year.

It was pretty stable. We didn't have any real hiccups, but it was stable. We didn't have any real hiccups there.

As far as I know, it says it's scalable. I'm not sure if that company I used to work for had to scale it up or down.

The tech support was very helpful. Actually, I knew a couple of them so it was very helpful.

I would give their tech support a rating of 10 — I knew them from using Metasploit and some other products. It was more of a, "Hey, I got this issue, how can you help me with it?" They'd point me and say, "Hey, check this out."

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, so I can't comment on that.

What other advice do I have?

Do your proof of concepts if you can. Make sure you develop your risk strategy. That's important, because it's going to give you a risk number, it's going to give you critical: highs, mediums, but you need to understand what is the risk methodology that you're going to follow. Just because it says it's critical because of how many vulnerabilities you have, doesn't mean that you need to work on it right away.

For example, there was a vulnerability that had 2,000 nodes affected. It put it as a high-risk, whereby there was another vulnerability where there were only about 10 hosts affected — it put it at medium-risk. However, the high-risk one, because it had more nodes affected, did not have a POC associated with it. A novice person looking at it would say, "I need to work on these 1,000 vulnerabilities because it's a high-risk, and ignore the medium." Well, the medium one had an active POC on it. If you didn't have a person who understood how to read the report and what it's actually telling you, then you would say, "Hey, you know what, I'm going to use these, I'm going to cut my risk down because I got 1,000 nodes with this vulnerability and I'm going to put this chain out real quick and I'm going to reduce my risk real quick because of the numbers." Well, in my opinion, you didn't reduce your risk because you have 10 nodes out there with a vulnerability that's rated medium and it has a POC on it.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. I'm going to say that is because shame on Rapid7 for having such great applications, but then that little piece there that they know about hasn't been fixed. If I remember, if I go probably log back into the community, it's probably been asked a couple of times.

Private Cloud
Kimeang-Suon
Technical Consultant at Yip Intsoi
Flexible, with good scanning, and rarely provides false positives

• "The most important aspect of the solution is that it rarely gives false positives, especially compared to other products. It provides very clear reports for our IT teams to look at."
  • "There needs to be much clearer instructions surrounding scanning."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to scan our internal OS and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution protects us from vulnerabilities. If it sees anything, it can tell us about the vulnerability and ranks it as critical or high risk. It allows us to take action immediately to protect our company from attacks.

What is most valuable?

The solution has an excellent feature that scans for vulnerabilities that may affect the Windows operating system. It helps us avoid being affected by WannaCry or other malicious attacks of that nature. It's one of the most useful features that we have. We're able to see more vulnerabilities before they become an issue due to the fact that it's so protective. It's great at helping us avoid malware or ransomware.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its smart monitoring.

There needs to be much clearer instructions surrounding scanning.

As for new features, I can't think of anything that's lacking. It's pretty good overall in terms of feature offerings.

I've only been using the solution for half a year - approximately six months. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches that I have witnessed. The solution doesn't crash. It's very reliable.

The solution is very flexible and very scalable. A company that needs to add it to their endpoints should have no issues doing so. I don't think there is a limit as to how many are possible.

Typically we deploy this solution to medium-sized enterprises in microfinance and insurance.

I've been in contact with technical support in the past. they're very good. We're satisfied with the level or attention they give us and the information they share.

The solution doesn't really have a complex setup. It's easy to set up and integrate with the endpoint. We install insights at our endpoints to help us collect vulnerability information from there.

We can also install it again and again and use active scanning to conduct vulnerability testing at the endpoints. It's very simple.

Deployment doesn't take long at all. Currently, we can deploy in around two or three days and then integrate it with the endpoint after we've gotten clear instructions from InsightVM.

The steps we choose for implementation are as follows: we first need to follow the instructions to install network communication, from the endpoint to InsightVM. Network communication from the endpoint will go to the scan engine and from the scan engine to the management console of Insight.

After we satisfy this, we start implementation and we start to deploy the engine to the endpoint. After that, we run a scan from the site configuration of each endpoint scope and we file the report displayed on the dashboard. Lastly, we export the report and provide it to the correct person that needs to be involved at the IT end of things.

In terms of the number of staff we use for deployment, from our side, we have two people to help manage everything. For the customer, we have four people to coordinate with the internal team. In total, we have six people involved with deployment. Our team includes a deployment engineer and from the customer's side, members of security operations.

Normally, we have both the reseller and the vendor to assist with deployment. From the vendor, we just consult on the step and classify each endpoint. After that, we'll discuss next steps with our team. Currently, we have a distributor that provides this product to us. We work with the vendor and work with the reseller to deploy everything to the customer's systems.

The solution offers flexible pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner of InsightVM.

We're most likely using the latest version of the solution, however, I'm not sure which exact version number it is.

We've deployed on-premises with a local scan engine.

I'd advise companies that are looking into vulnerability assessment or faster deployment, to check out InsightVM. It's easy to expand as necessary and offers flexibility in its pricing.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

JS
Director Of Information Technology at a government with 201-500 employees
Good at identifying vulnerabilities but had issues with scans and endpoint accuracy

• "The main functionality of identifying item endpoints that weren't properly patched or had vulnerabilities is the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "We found that after you passed an endpoint, it didn't always reflect it in the next scan. I'm not sure if it was a glitch or some issue with the product's software. That was never clear. That was always an issue and something that definitely needed improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for vulnerability management, specifically vulnerability scanning of the endpoint devices.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We found that after you passed an endpoint, it didn't always reflect it in the next scan. I'm not sure if it was a glitch or some issue with the product's software. That was never clear. That was always an issue and something that definitely needed improvement.

We've used the solution for four years.

I didn't notice anything in terms of stability issues. There was always data in it, so I didn't, face any problems. We just had an issue once where we would scan and then we would patch and occasionally it wasn't reflected on the next scan that that patch was there. That was the biggest issue we faced. Other than that, it was reliable. We didn't really have glitchiness or bugs. It wasn't crashing or freezing on us.

I probably don't have an opinion on the scalability. It seemed to function, however, beyond that I'm not sure. As an end-user, I just would log in and run reports. I wasn't in charge of expanding the solution. I used it in a pretty non-technical way.

There were only ever about 10 to 15 users on the solution at any given time.

I never actually got in touch with technical support. I wouldn't be able to speak t their level of service.

The company did not use a different solution before using this product.

I never set up the software myself. I was always just an end-user. I can't speak to if the solution was straightforward or complex.

I have not idea how long deployment took. I'm not sure if it was a long process or not.

Maintenance was handled by our security division. I don't know if there was one person or there were multiple admins that handled that aspect of the solution.

It's my understanding that the solution was set up in-house and an integrator or reseller was not used.

I'm not sure what the solution would cost on a monthly or yearly basis.

I'm not sure if the company evaluated other options or not. I wasn't part of that process.

The company I'm working with now is looking at evaluating Tenable.io.

What other advice do I have?

The company I worked for was just a customer and I was just an end-user. There was no business relationship between the two companies that I was aware of.

The company is considering moving from on-premises to the cloud.

I am unsure of which version of the solution is being used currently. I'm no longer at the company where I used the product.

While the solution worked well, I have never compared other solutions, so I don't know if it's best in class or not.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

ES
Owner at Sidif Del Caribe Corporation
Reseller
A stable enterprise solution that can automatically detect new devices and scan them for vulnerabilities

• "When you connect any new device to the network, Rapid7 has the ability to detect the new device immediately. It can scan that device to detect if it has any vulnerability. It tells you what is vulnerable and what has been misconfigured. It also tells you what is the risk of that misconfiguration or lack of patches and how to resolve the problem."
  • "In terms of improvements, its price could be better. Our main issue with Rapid7 is that it is too expensive. You can only sell it to enterprise accounts. In terms of new features, Rapid7 came up with a product called InsightIDR a couple of years ago, which is a good SIEM solution. We expect that Rapid7 will work on some sort of integration between InsightVM and InsightIDR, where vulnerability or anomaly detected by InsightVM can be reported in InsightIDR in some sort of real-time. Rapid7 doesn't patch. For example, if you have a vulnerability, some products can scan and also do the patching, but Rapid7 does not do the patching. It would be nice if it can also patch."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators. Our clients normally use it to detect vulnerabilities in terms of a lack of patches in certain systems and databases. Its console can be installed on-premise or on the Rapid7 data center.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, its price could be better. Our main issue with Rapid7 is that it is too expensive. You can only sell it to enterprise accounts.

In terms of new features, Rapid7 came up with a product called InsightIDR a couple of years ago, which is a good SIEM solution. We expect that Rapid7 will work on some sort of integration between InsightVM and InsightIDR, where vulnerability or anomaly detected by InsightVM can be reported in InsightIDR in some sort of real-time.

Rapid7 doesn't patch. For example, if you have a vulnerability, some products can scan and also do the patching, but Rapid7 does not do the patching. It would be nice if it can also patch.

We have been working with this solution for the last three years or so.

It has been stable. There is nothing that has caused any major damage to our customers. Normally, what happens is that when something goes wrong, the customer normally blames the tool first before admitting that they touched something or whatever the case may be.

We have a couple of customers with various company sizes, and we haven't had any scalability issues. Rapid7 is pretty much an enterprise solution. We're talking about customers with more than 1500 nodes to scan.

Their technical support is very good.

I don't handle the installation, but it was not difficult to implement. The basic setup took us about four days or so.

Normally, for a product like this, the complexity of implementation is proportional to the size of the infrastructure that is going to be scanned and also how heterogeneous it is. An enterprise product like this is not like using a coffee maker. You need to have some knowledge of where you are installing it. You also need to have some knowledge of the technology that you are going to scan. You can't scan everything in the same way.

Its price is too high. My only concern or issue with Rapid7 is its pricing.

Our clients evaluate Qualys, Tenable, and Rapid7. It doesn't really matter which one you choose. You cannot go wrong with all of these products. They have been very well ranked by Gartner. The main difference is probably the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Rapid7 InsightVM an eight out of ten.

MF
Infrastructure Security Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good site-level vulnerability scanning capability, and the dashboard is not difficult to manage

• "The most valuable feature is the site scanning, where we can provide a complete subnet and what it is we need to scan on those devices."
  • "The reporting is a little bit tricky because it can be difficult to exactly pinpoint some of the assets to filter them and generate a report."

What is our primary use case?

We use Rapid7 for our vulnerability assessment. It scans the network, identifies all of the assets that are present, and then identifies all of the vulnerabilities due to non-patching those systems. Based on that, we can generate reports and make sure that those applications or servers are patched on both the operating system and application level.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the site scanning, where we can provide a complete subnet and what it is we need to scan on those devices. It will extract all of the information, including the rating and vulnerabilities, in all of the applications that are present, on each of those machines. This is quite relevant because if you have many applications on one server then you don't know if they are individually patched, or not.

The dashboard is not difficult to manage.

What needs improvement?

The reporting is a little bit tricky because it can be difficult to exactly pinpoint some of the assets to filter them and generate a report. Improving the filtering capability would make the reporting easier.

We would like to have penetration testing features built into Nexpose, as it is the next area that we are going to be concentrating on. We have not yet tried it, but it is on our roadmap.

We have been using this solution for one year.

We have not had any issues with stability. For what we are using it for, it is okay, and we use it on a weekly basis.

We have five people who are working with Nexpose and we have not yet needed to scale.

We have been in touch with support on one or two occasions but I was not the person who dealt with them.

The initial setup is not complex. As soon as you deploy, you start by opening all of the needed communication tools on all of the target systems. In our situation, we deployed gradually as opposed to doing everyone at the same time.

We have five people who have access to this solution and can maintain it. They do not work on it full-time but can do site scanning and generate reports when needed.

A third-party was brought in to implement this solution. However, I have done some of the upgrades and I would say that it is straightforward enough that it is not necessary to bring in anybody else.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to begin by clearly identifying infrastructure and the most critical assets. This tool will give you good visibility into the network and the assets, but it is only the starting point. It is really the input for the process that you have in place to follow up and patch the assets. Simply knowing that they are vulnerable is not good enough, so the right process has to be put into place before it will work effectively.

Damir Miklavčič
Security Analyst at Zavarovalnica Triglav, d.d.
Vulnerability management that is easy to use and install, with good technical support

• "This solution is very easy to use and easy to install."
  • "It would be nice to have an additional feature that would provide reports on who has logged onto the console or who did what on the console."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for vulnerability management.

We have monthly scans and reporting. The results are in QRadar, which is our SIEM.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use and easy to install.

It has nice features.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have an additional feature that would provide reports on who has logged onto the console or who did what on the console. I don't have the time to log onto the console and use SSH to go through the logs.

We have some users with certain privileges, and sometimes they do things that I don't like.  This is why it would be nice to have an easy way to report what is in the logs.

In the next release, I would like to see reporting added to the console. It would be helpful to have reports to tell you who did what, who created reports, who created groups or who created tags.

I have been working with this solution for five years.

The stability is good. I am running it on Linux and from that point of view, Linux is stable.

We are using this solution daily.

This solution is easy to scale.

I am working at Triglav Group which is the leading insurance-financial group in Slovenia and
in the Adria region and one of the leading groups in South-East Europe

Triglav Group operates together with its subsidiaries and associated companies on seven markets and in six countries.

We use with two consoles, one is international for subdiraies and other is for the Slovenia all thogether we have 15 scan engines on locations.

Approximately a year ago, we had an issue with the dashboard. We contacted technical support to ask a question. Unfortunately, we were not able to resolve the issue that we were having. It could have been something in our network, but we don't know. It was not a big issue.

The technical support is good, they do give you answers and they are pretty quick.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward.

I deployed this solution. It took a couple of days with ten engines.

We did not use a vendor or integrator to implement this solution. We have five thousand people in this firm and I am the only one in technical team.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to just use it.

As a whole, it's a pretty good product. I don't have any problem with it.

If they had the audit reporting then I would rate it a ten out of ten, but as it is now, I would rate this solution a nine out of then.

Product Categories
Vulnerability Management
Download our free Rapid7 InsightVM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.