Rapid7 Metasploit OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Rapid7 Metasploit is #10 ranked solution in top Vulnerability Management tools. IT Central Station users give Rapid7 Metasploit an average rating of 8 out of 10. Rapid7 Metasploit is most commonly compared to Tenable Nessus:Rapid7 Metasploit vs Tenable Nessus. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Rapid7 Metasploit?

Attackers are always developing new exploits and attack methods—Metasploit penetration testing software helps you use their own weapons against them. Utilizing an ever-growing database of exploits, you can safely simulate real-world attacks on your network to train your security team to spot and stop the real thing.

Rapid7 Metasploit was previously known as Metasploit.

Download the Vulnerability Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Rapid7 Metasploit Customers

City of Corpus Christi, Diebold, Lumenate, Nebraska Public Power District, Prairie North Regional Health, Apptio, Automation Direct, Bob's Stores, Cardinal Innovations Healthcare Solutions, Carnegie Mellon University

Rapid7 Metasploit Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Rapid7 Metasploit pricing:
  • "The great advantage with Rapid7 Metasploit, of course, is that it's free."
  • "There are two versions available, one of which is the Pro version, and the other is the free version."

Rapid7 Metasploit Reviews

AS
Principal security consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to set up, and helpful for moving from development to production

• "The most valuable feature for us is the support for testing Linux-based web server components."
  • "Better automation capabilities would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we offer a variety of services that include security and vulnerability management. Rapid7 Metasploit is one of the products that we use to identify vulnerabilities.

Specifically, Metasploit is for penetration testing. It uses models to check for exploitable vulnerabilities, and if one is detected then we would raise the importance of solving the problem. We normally operate Metasploit at the client site, which helps us to explore and assess the vulnerabilities directly in the environment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to offer additional services to our clients. Projects can vary, where one will include vulnerability testing and another may include penetration testing.

One of the services that we provide is security during the development process. This means that beyond user acceptance and performance testing, we are doing all of the security tests. It helps customers ensure that the code they are developing and deploying has all of the necessary security controls.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the support for testing Linux-based web server components.

What needs improvement?

Integration with popular vulnerability scanners would be a useful feature.

Better automation capabilities would be an improvement. For example, if a project is moving from a development to a testing environment, then automation is crucial. We are using Jenkins, JIRA, and other tools for SecOps and DevOps. If somebody is storing code or a project in SVN then it needs to be fully automated. We need the ability for the scanner to run, then have Checkmarx scan them, then exploit the vulnerabilities if any are found.

We began working with Metasploit about 15 years ago.

I do not have any complaints about stability, as it has been fine.

For the projects that we have worked on, the scalability has been fine. I'm not sure how it would perform in a hybrid environment, but for our on-premises deployment, it is quite a nice product.

We have a team of 12 people and it is used for perhaps 10 large companies.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

When we do application-level penetration testing, we employ some manual techniques. Metasploit is generally used at the infrastructure level. We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We have been working with this product for several years and it isn't a problem for us to set it up. The deployment can be completed in a matter of hours, depending on the size of the environment.

What other advice do I have?

For our needs, which is usually a dedicated environment for our customers, I cannot envision any significant improvements that need to be made.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that it works well as a component in a vulnerability testing platform. We use a combination of tools with a certain level of automation and integration, which gives us the flexibility that we need to accommodate customers with differing needs. There is no one tool in the market that covers everything and ultimately, Metasploit helps to produce the reports that we need.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this product is that if proper security checks are not done during the development process then very likely, you will face major vulnerabilities or risks in the production environment.

Overall, it is a very good product for penetration testing.

MM
Project Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A free and impactful penetration testing solution

• "All of the features are great."
  • "At the time I was using it, the graphical user interface needed some improvements."

What is our primary use case?

I used the community edition. It's a very handy and powerful product. For a free product, the capabilities are absolutely astonishing.

I used Rapid7 Metasploit as a marketing solution. I was working as a security expert and whenever I would meet a client as a consultant or a freelancer, I would open my laptop and start using the software.

Rapid7 Metasploit is a standalone solution, intended to be used by one person, but it can be used by a few people in a team — maybe 10 people or less.

What is most valuable?

All of the features are great. I used it as a tool for penetration testing. The exploitation capabilities and the development in general, are all great. It's open-source and very handy.

What needs improvement?

At the time I was using it, the graphical user interface needed some improvements. It might be better now because there was a very big community behind it, and of course, newer versions are always improved. The free, community edition I was using, lacked some very specific exploits but, as I remember, under the commercial version, you could find your exploits.

All the features that are available on the command line could be integrated with the graphical user interface.

I used Rapid7 Metasploit for more than five years.

The earlier versions had some bugs, but the last version, Version Four, was much more stable compared to the previous versions — which we stopped using because of the bugs.

The scalability is not that good.

When you use the command-line interface, not very much of the process is automated. There should always be an expert present to work with the software. Under the GUI, I believe there are some features that can be automated for testing.

The solution was not intended to be automated because penetration testing requires attention and caution because it's done on a live network with line services. Automation can damage the target network or the system on the network.

You can automate the input of data, but the results are not satisfactory.

The scalability should definitely be improved.

As it's a free product, the community edition doesn't include any technical support. I haven't used the commercial edition so I can't comment on their support.

In terms of development, the team of developers that supports the software is very active and quick to help. In short, the software is being maintained very actively, and I do believe the customer support should be the same.

I would like to see some support available for the free version; however, there are a lot of open-source materials available to solve any issues, so for me personally, there wasn't any need for technical support.

If you want to install it separately on a fresh new Linux, the solution is still effective. The installation is very, very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The great advantage with Rapid7 Metasploit, of course, is that it's free. You can download it and start using it for free, right away. The features are satisfactory, and you can do your job strictly with the free edition. Of course, you could do your job even better with the commercial edition.

There are better products available, like Core Impact, but they are much more expensive.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Rapid7 Metasploit a rating of eight.

Find out what your peers are saying about Rapid7, Tenable Network Security, Qualys and others in Vulnerability Management. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EG
Senior Information Technology Security Officer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good reporting; very good at detecting vulnerabilities, and quite stable

• "The reporting on the solution is good."
  • "The solution should improve the responsiveness of its live technical support."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution in conjunction with some governmental agencies.

What is most valuable?

The solution automatically discovers vulnerabilities. We don't need to update or fine-tune the tool. It automatically handles that itself.

The reporting on the solution is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be more user friendly. Right now, a user needs a certain level of technicality.

The solution should improve the responsiveness of its live technical support.

The solution has been stable so far. I hope it stays that way. We haven't experienced bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes.

So far, for our purposes, we've never run into issues with scalability. It's been good. I'm not sure how it would be for other companies, however, I don't forsee there being any issues if they should require the solution to expand to meet their needs.

Technical support is okay. If you access its resources online, it's quite helpful. However, if you need to contact them directly, they can be quite sluggish in their response. It's sort-of unpredictable.

We did use different solutions previously. I know of a few other products the organization utilized before this product.

The initial setup isn't too complex. If you have a bit of a technical background, you should be fine installing the solution without facing any issues. A person with no technical background, however, may find it challenging.

The pricing of the solution is pretty good. That said, it would be good if there could be more of a discount. It would be better for us.

What other advice do I have?

I used the product previously. Now, I am more of a consultant.

I'm not sure what version of the solution I'm currently using is.

This product is fantastic. I prefer using it. I'd rate it seven out of ten. If it wasn't for the unpredictable support, I would rate it a bit higher. If it added just a few more advancements, it would be even better still.

ME
Senior Cyber Security Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Open-source, simple and quick to install, with a variety of payload options

• "Rapid7 Metasploit is a useful product."
  • "Rapid7 Metasploit can add a GUI feature because it is only available online."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Rapid7 Metasploit for the network penetration testing activities.

We have used the payload during our penetration testing activities.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

Rapid7 Metasploit is a useful product.

It has a very long list of available payloads.

What needs improvement?

Rapid7 Metasploit can add a GUI feature because it is only available online.

While it is simple to use, including a GUI would make things easier. It would be very helpful.

I have been using Rapid7 Metasploit for more than four years.

Our company performs penetration testing for our clients. It is not used in the client's organization by any users normally, instead, it is used by the penetration tester, who performs the penetration testing activities.

Our company is a professional services company with 15 team members. All 15 team members are using this solution.

We have not opened any tickets, as we have not experienced any issues.

Also, the free version does not offer support, it is only included with the Pro Version.

If you're using the free version, there's an online community where you can look for a similar problem that needs to be solved.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's very easy to install Rapid7 Metasploit.

It's only five minutes to install.

This solution can be deployed and managed by a single person.

In the four years that we've been using this solution, we've only used the free version. We haven't had any reason to use the Pro Version.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Rapid7 Metasploit an eight out of ten.

AlanGallagher
CEO at Virtual Security International
Many tests available, tests capable through networks, but scalability could improve

• "The solution is open source and has many small targetted penetration tests that have been written by many people that are useful. You can choose different subjects for the test, such as Oracle databases or Apache servers."
  • "The solution is not very scalable, it does not provide any automation to be able to scale it."

What is our primary use case?

We have Rapid7 Metasploit installed on our Kali Linux system and we use it for penetration testing.

What is most valuable?

The solution is open source and has many small targetted penetration tests that have been written by many people that are useful. You can choose different subjects for the test, such as Oracle databases or Apache servers.

Someone has created a graphical interface for this solution called Armitage which has been very useful and easier to use. The solution typically only has a command-line interface.

You are able to do network tests over a network, not necessarily on the web server, but on desktops and other devices.

I have been using Rapid7 Metasploit for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is not very scalable, it does not provide any automation to be able to scale it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Rapid7 Metasploit a seven out of ten.

Product Categories
Vulnerability Management
Download our free Vulnerability Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Rapid7, Tenable Network Security, Qualys, and more!