Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure Overview

Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure is the #14 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to Sangfor HCI: Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure vs Sangfor HCI

What is Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure?

Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure - based on our leading OpenStack and virtualization platforms - provides co-located, scalable, software-defined compute and storage, driven by Red Hat Ansible Automation on economical, industry-standard hardware.

Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure is also known as Red Hat HCI, Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure for Virtualization.

Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide

Download the Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure pricing:
  • "It is quite pricey."
  • "Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure is an open-sourced, low-cost solution with full features."

Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure Reviews

systemar777972
System Architect at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 24, 2019
Comes in a small, compact model that does not have any separate management but it is not so stable

What is our primary use case?

We have a legacy application virtualized on top of the solution. It is our own product. We select what we want to run there. It is not possible to run all kinds of software because of the setup. We run a server application. For us, it is like a kind of small cloud.

• "The size of the hardware is what we need because it is very good for small configurations."
  • "This product is not so stable. Maybe it is just not mature enough in its development."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those considering this solution is that they should get what they actually need. Red Hat is a big company and it is quite flexible in the kind of environment they support. There are other products we are aware of and tried, but they failed to support our application running on top of them. With the Red Hat KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine), we could play the tricks we needed to more easily to get our application to work. KVM was the key. On a scale from one to ten where ten is the best, I would rate this product as maybe a seven. It is not bad, but it is not perfect.
AmitPrasad
Head SDWAN SBU at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 30, 2020
Stable and scalable with good automation capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a part of our in-house use in our R&D department. We use it mainly as a desktop as a service.

• "The most useful feature is the solution's automation in terms of how we are able to spin up a certain workload in real-time when we are doing R&D."
  • "The licensing policy needs to be improved. They have a licensing policy based on the number of CPU sockets. Nowadays what has happened is that the license they are trying to move is based on the number of CPU cores. With the advancement in technology there are now more cores in a single CPU. It's been very challenging in terms of managing the license around everything. Today we have a processor with 24 and 32 cores on the same physical CPU."

What other advice do I have?

I have been using Red Hat and there is a small hyper-converged solution called Zero Stack which I also use. We're in discussions with Red Hat in India to have some sort of enterprise agreement with them in the future. I'd recommend Red Hat to others. I'd rate it nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Sangfor, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: February 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PaulSorelli
Senior IT Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 16, 2020
Consolidated management and good documentation but very complex and difficult to operate

What is our primary use case?

It was implemented in a solution center for our land environments. We had three x86 servers interconnected with 10 gigabytes network.

• "The consolidation of the management in one control point is the most valuable. The whole infrastructure management is consolidated in just one console point. The documentation is also pretty good."
  • "It is not user-friendly, and it is very difficult to operate. You have to have a deep understanding of the technical details of the infrastructure to implement it. When you compare it with VMware, it is totally different because the graphical user interface is not that easy to understand. It is not intuitive. To use it, you have to read a lot of documentation and even understand what is going on behind the solution. It is not for someone who has a little bit of knowledge. Currently, it is too complex. I need something that is easy to implement. It should have a basic configuration as well as a complex configuration."

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are using just three machines at our site, and I don't know if my company is using it at other sites or planning to increase its usage. It seems very complex to manage the infrastructure. I would rate Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure a seven out of ten because of the implementation and integration issues.
reviewer1478439
Product Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 4, 2021
Stable, scalable, and good support but needs better pricing and ease of use

What is our primary use case?

It has storage and Hypervisor from Red Hat. It is used for computing and the virtualization workload for databases and other things.

• "It is stable and scalable."
  • "The main issue is the initial investment. It is an expensive product, and it should be cheaper. It should also be easier to use and manage. The professional service for this solution is quite complex and expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution. There are a couple of other solutions that are easy to manage and install, and they are also not expensive. We plan to keep selling this solution, but we are not 100% sure. I would rate Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure a four out of ten.
reviewer1279482
Senior Product Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 30, 2020
An open-source tool that encompasses the whole spectrum of vertical solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for verticals like banking, robo, oil and gas, retail — It could be pretty much anything. It encompasses the whole gamut of vertical solutions.

What needs improvement?

The cloud deployment could be improved. I also don't believe there is VDS support either.

I have been using this solution for around six to eight months.

Both the scalability and stability of this solution are excellent.

Red Hat's customer support is excellent.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward; it's not super complicated.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and