Red Hat Linux (RHEL) Overview

Red Hat Linux (RHEL) is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to SUSE Linux Enterprise: Red Hat Linux (RHEL) vs SUSE Linux Enterprise

What is Red Hat Linux (RHEL)?
To put your enterprise in a position to win, you have to break down the barriers that hold you back. With Red Hat Enterprise Linux, a platform with unparalleled stability and flexibility, you can reallocate your resources toward meeting the next challenges instead of just maintaining the status quo.

Red Hat Linux (RHEL) is also known as Red Hat Enterprise Linux, RHEL.

Red Hat Linux (RHEL) Buyer's Guide

Download the Red Hat Linux (RHEL) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Red Hat Linux (RHEL) Customers
Travel Channel
Red Hat Linux (RHEL) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Red Hat Linux (RHEL) pricing:
  • "In terms of the solution’s single subscription and install repository for all types of systems, we can have as many RHEL installations as we want because we have a specific subscription that entitles us to have as many RHEL services as we want. We pay for a subscription and with that we get RHEL and Satellite as well."
  • "RHEL is expensive."
  • "Red Hat Linux is inexpensive. Linux solutions are generally inexpensive."

Red Hat Linux (RHEL) Reviews

Fredrik Lehtonen
Systems Analyst at Intraservice/City of G̦teborg
Jun 8, 2020
Allows us to offer our customers an easier way to get a WordPress site or to have POSTGRES or Tomcat installations

What is our primary use case?

We use it for * some of our websites * one of our main applications for the City of Gothenburg * automation * the underlying operating system for our GitLab server.

• "The solution has features that simplify adoption for non-Linux users. There is an interface that you can activate on RHEL systems, and on other Linux systems as well, so that you will get a graphical user interface instead of just a shell. It's easier for an administrator who is used to only working on Windows."
  • "Sometimes they don't have new versions for applications like Apache or PHP. I understand it's because they have to have support for them, so they can't have the latest version all the time, but that's the main thing I see that could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Try the product out. If you decide to purchase a subscription, don't be afraid to submit a ticket or a support case to Red Hat, because that's why you pay for a subscription. It took us a long time before we started to open support cases, because we thought, "Ah, we can fix this ourselves." But now we use the support system quite often and it works quite well. One of the things I've learned from using RHEL is that there are applications that work so much better on Linux than they do on Windows.
Ifham Shahid
Associate Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 15, 2021
A Linux distribution solution with good customer support

What is our primary use case?

We deploy front-end and back-end software applications on RHEL, and it's our app server. Most of our app servers and our production servers are on RHEL. They're running on RHEL, and that's why they are profiting from it. I2C is the issuer in the processing payment industry. Basically, we do the issuer processing for credit cards, and all the bank magic that happens when you swipe a credit card is handled by us. We're also using RHEL servers for processing debit card payments.

• "Customer support is valuable."
  • "Their pricing and documentation can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential customers that they should go for the latest releases. If they want to buy it, they should get a developer account from RHEL first and use that dev account before buying it. They might have some hands-on experience before spending too much money on Red Hat. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) an eight.
Learn what your peers think about Red Hat Linux (RHEL). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fayaz Ali
Linux Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 22, 2020
An excellent and inexpensive solution with great security, stability, and performance

What is our primary use case?

I use it for running RAID servers, Database clusters, and a lot of other open-source tools. I have also used it as a firewall. We have on-premises dedicated servers located in some data centers. We also have cloud servers on the public cloud. I am currently using the latest version, and I have also worked on previous versions as well as Template.

• "Its security is the most valuable. It is very stable and has many features. It also has good performance. Some of our clients were using Windows servers and products. I suggested Red Hat Linux to them and described the features. They switched to it, and they really loved it. There were around 50 servers in my last company, and they switched all those servers from Windows to Red Hat. I used to manage those servers."
  • "It is mostly better than other solutions. However, it is sometimes difficult for disaster recovery, so we have to plan accordingly."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is my most preferred solution. I like using terminals, and with Red Hat, I get to work on terminals and shell commands. It has good security. I would rate Red Hat Linux (RHEL) an eight out of ten. I find it excellent, but no system can be 100% perfect.