HB
Unix Linux System Administrator at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Relatively inexpensive and offers average technical support but needs a better user interface

• "The price is the solution's most valuable aspect. It's much cheaper than, for example, VMware."
  • "In comparison to VMware, this solution isn't as stable. We're testing it right now, and we're not trusting the stability of the product."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface is a bit complex, in my opinion. They should work to simplify it if possible.

Currently, we cannot get a direct local resource mount.

When I want to customize the solution, I would like to have a similar operating system resource included, similar to what VMware offers. We'd like to have the same hosting features VMware has.

I've been using the solution for about two years now.

We only two people working on the solution currently, as we test it. We haven't scaled it at all.

The technical support offered by Red Hat is average. It's not exceptional, but it's not bad either.

I didn't set up the solution at our organization. I don't know if it is complex or straightforward in terms of implementation.

The solution is quite inexpensive.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't recommend the solution currently. We don't trust the product, so to use it as a mission-critical solution wouldn't be advised. However, overall, it's okay.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. Red Hat solution is not the best, in my opinion. It's not as stable, but it is much cheaper than VMware, so companies can save money using it if they need to.

JG
Engineer Developer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A responsive technical support portal is available for quickly solving problems

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the support portal."
  • "Configuring the network interfaces is much better in Ubuntu and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using RHEV in both on-premises and cloud deployments for testing.

In my team, we don't have access to a paid version of Red Hat. Instead, we mostly use CentOS and Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the support portal.

What needs improvement?

Configuring the network interfaces is much better in Ubuntu and should be improved. I find this to be the biggest problem. In Ubunto they have the idea of the Netplan, which is much better than the facility in Red Hat.

I have been using RHEV for about five months.

I have seen some bugs that I fixed on my own.

We have not had to scale this solution because it is not for everyday use. Rather, we use it for testing purposes.

Technical support for RHEV is very fast and good.

We use different versions of Linux including CentOS and Ubuntu. CentOS is very comparable to Red Hat because it is almost the same, internally.

In the beginning, the initial setup was quite complex. However, once you get used to it, I would say that the setup is of normal difficulty and not a problem.

I implemented this solution with the assistance of my colleague.

We are using the free version of Red Hat.

What other advice do I have?

RHEV is a good solution and I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about RHEV. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kshitij Singhai
Owner at Computech Associates
User friendly, easy to configure, and affordable

• "The solution is overall very good with all the facilities. It is user friendly, easy to configure, has documentation, and support is available."
  • "Customers are not aware of this solution, they can improve by providing more awareness and solution availability."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is to implement ERP. If you want to have multiple servers on the same machine or if you do not require multiple machines it supports kernel-based virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The solution is overall very good with all the facilities. It is user friendly, easy to configure, has documentation, and support is available.

What needs improvement?

Customers are not aware of this solution, they can improve by providing more awareness and solution availability. The technical features are okay right now for our requirements, but of course, with technology, there are areas for improvement.

Additionally, there should be more integration with other platforms.

I have used it for a couple of years.

It is a very stable solution.

The solution is scalable.

It has good support, but we did not require to use it much.

The installation was easy. The time was affected by configuration requirements and the extent of work needed for customization. For example, the simplicity or complexity of it, how many virtual machines we want to establish, or whether we want MDM.

We normally use approximately 35 people to implement the solution.

The solution does not require licencing but a subscription is necessary, which is very affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other users.

I rate RHEV a nine out of ten.

MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very stable, easy to install, and useful for high volumes of computing

• "It is very stable."
  • "We hope that Red Hat can produce a paradigm edition. We are looking for paradigm computing and paradigm storage. Its scalability can be improved. It is not easy to scale, and we hope that Red Hat can provide a more scalable system. They should also provide local service and support. Our customers are looking for a good software vendor to provide professional services."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for high volumes of computing. We use it for artificial intelligence and some big data analytics.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable.

What needs improvement?

We hope that Red Hat can produce a paradigm edition. We are looking for paradigm computing and paradigm storage.

Its scalability can be improved. It is not easy to scale, and we hope that Red Hat can provide a more scalable system.

They should also provide local service and support. Our customers are looking for a good software vendor to provide professional services.

I have been using this solution for more than three years.

It is very stable.

It is not easy to scale, and we hope that Red Hat can provide a more scalable system. We have 50 users who are using this system.

We do get a response from their international support through email, but they should provide local services.

We have used Ubuntu Linux and some other editions.

It was very easy to install. It took less than 20 minutes.

We buy a license for commercial use, and we also use the free editions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. We would like to keep using this solution. We are very satisfied with it.

I would rate RHEV a nine out of ten.

Muhammad Khattab
Infrastructure Consultant at Oriental Weavers
A stable and open-source solution that is good for websites with heavy traffic

• "Red Hat is the most stable system."
  • "The Administration of the Oracle database and the SAP ERP needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for making DNS, website work, DHCP, and other security functions like ID tables and other tools.

What needs improvement?

The Administration of the Oracle database and the SAP ERP needs improvement.

In the next release. I would like to see some additional features to make it easier, such as improvements to the GUI and the maintenance. The maintenance of Red Hat is difficult.

I have been using this solution for seventeen years.

Red Hat is the most stable system. It's better than other OS solutions.

At first, this solution was deployed on-premises, then I converted it to cloud using VMware tools to make our private cloud on our data center.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I have always recommended using other platforms versus Windows. I didn't like using any Windows system, Microsoft system or any system with heavy traffic like ERP and Websites.

I recommend Linux.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

PA
Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Supports key virtualization workloads

What is our primary use case?

For any application that requires 100% uptime, 100% of data accessibility, I use these servers.  Within our organization, there are roughly 100 employees using this solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be more secure. Also, the CPU power could be increased.

I have been using this solution since the very beginning — about eight or nine years.

This solution is very stable. Much more so than similar products.

It's more of an availability solution than a scalable solution.

The initial setup is very easy. Installation takes no longer than one hour.

What

What is our primary use case?

Within our organization, there are roughly 100 employees using this solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be more secure. Also, the CPU power could be increased.

This solution is very stable. Much more so than similar products.

It's more of an availability solution than a scalable solution.

The initial setup is very easy. Installation takes no longer than one hour.

I installed this solution by myself.

We have to pay extra for vulnerability and fault tolerance.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

There is no other server equivalent to this one available on the market at the moment. Not HP, not IBM, and not Dell.