Riverbed AppResponse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Riverbed AppResponse is #21 ranked solution in APM tools and #34 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. IT Central Station users give Riverbed AppResponse an average rating of 8 out of 10. Riverbed AppResponse is most commonly compared to Dynatrace:Riverbed AppResponse vs Dynatrace. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Riverbed AppResponse?

Riverbed® AppResponse delivers full stack application analysis—from packets to web pages to end-user experience—letting you observe all network and application interactions as they cross the wire, whether they are encrypted or not. Using powerful, flexible network and application analytics and workflows, AppResponse speeds problem diagnosis and resolution, helping you get to answers fast

Riverbed AppResponse was previously known as OPNET SteelCentral AppResponse, ACE Live, OPNET, AppResponse Xpert.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Riverbed AppResponse Customers

N11.com, OneMain Financial, China Bank, Halkbank, Kaust

Riverbed AppResponse Video

Archived Riverbed AppResponse Reviews (more than two years old)

Tunay Güneş
APM Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The application response time is user-friendly.

• "With some APM solutions, it can take a long time to check a periodic report, but you can get all the necessary details quickly with AppResponse."
  • "They need to better integrate with products and solutions from different vendors."

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest problem of end-to-end Application Performance Monitoring (APM) solution is that service assurance is mapping a problem to the appropriate team. When the business units check their jobs, step by step, every single system seems to work properly but they need to check the big picture, which AppResponse does easily.

What is most valuable?

The application response time is very user friendly. With some APM solutions, it can take a long time to check a periodic report, but you can get all the necessary details quickly with AppResponse.

What needs improvement?

The admin dashboard could be easier, as it takes a little bit of time to get used to it. Also, they need to better integrate with products and solutions from different vendors.

Each AppResponse implementation made our stability better across our 500+ applications.

Technical support is 10/10, as they have a quick response time and are awesome.

Initial setup is really straightforward and can be completed with a couple of clicks and you don't need to perform a lot of deep dives.

The initial setup was performed by the vendor team, but updates and reinstalls have been done by in-house staff.

The licensing model is expensive compared to its competitors, but the service it gives to your business, and the data quality, means that it's worth it.

During the PoC process, we met with representatives of various vendors about different solutions and Riverbed was one of them. AppResponse and ARX showed us the red points easily and quickly. We then decided to add the product to our portfolio and now the monitoring team and application owners are happier now.

What other advice do I have?

The implementation is very easy. Business application and server logic can show the root cause of issues and provide service assurance through end-to-end business relations. Every service assurance and monitoring team should try the product. It can probably improve your internal business relationships.

BB
IT Admin at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees

• "Ability to see end to end user, application, server, and network response time and throughput data."
  • "Need to bring back the NetFlow module for AppResponse."

How has it helped my organization?

We see trends developing and can get a fix in place before the customers notice. The database module has helped us spot troublesome queries. We can usually find within a few clicks if a performance issue is related to a specific server, the application, web page or network device. Scheduled reports provide historical data for our application and network teams.

What is most valuable?

Ability to see end to end user, application, server, and network response time and throughput data. Good reporting and alerting mechanism. Easy interfacing with Wireshark or Riverbed Transaction Analyzer to view detailed packet data. Easy to organize web page families, network device interface, and server response time and throughout into real-time or historical views.

What needs improvement?

Need to bring back the NetFlow module for AppResponse.

Not at all.

Sales and Sale support have been very responsive

AppResponse Support is excellent.

BMC TrueSight. Easier to use and better functionality.

Setup was very easy.

We used a combination of in-house and Riverbed PS. Expertise was good.

What other advice do I have?

Creating a functional network map before implementation will insure you are getting the correct view of you network and applications.

Find out what your peers are saying about Riverbed, Dynatrace, New Relic and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BDE Cloud Services with 51-200 employees
AppResponse Xpert is a great solution for whoever is looking to for infrastructure troubleshooter.

What is most valuable?

End User Experience Monitoring: conversations, protocols but first of all the web transaction analysis feature with waterfall capabilities is now a fundamental tool for our NOC/SOC team.

How has it helped my organization?

Any potential issue is now discovered by our NOC/SOC team before it impacts the end-user experience. We are currently monitoring the performance perceived by the end user accessing and using the strategic applications of our worldwide customers. Usually, a problem is analyzed from a variety of different viewpoints but never from the most important: the End User. Thanks to the Riverbed Steelcentral AppResponse technology our remote services are now focused on monitoring the End User "satisfaction" instead of watching only the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

We are working to improve SAP transactions monitoring capabilities. This feature will give us a great differentiator to our monitoring and managed services.

1 year

No. As any monitoring tool, the deployment is a process and it never ends.

Absolutely none.

The 1200 and 2200 models are sufficient for any PMI. If you want to scale in terms of performances and features you have to consider the 3300.

The support we had as of now is excellent.

No, we didn't use any other NPM/APM solution before Riverbed, but we tested some competitors.

Again, the setup is easy but it has to be considered a never ending process as the infrastructure is, at the end, dynamic.

In house

AppDynamics, Fluke Networks

What other advice do I have?

It's a great solution and we think it could be used in many different ways.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Riverbed partner
BDE Cloud Services with 51-200 employees
It's not able to monitor SAP transactions but it is a complete solution portfolio for monitoring and solving issues.

What is most valuable?

End-user experience monitoring for web and non-web applications at the user transaction level.

How has it helped my organization?

Simply moving the focus from the IT infrastructure components to the end user with the result that it drastically reduces the time spent on troubleshooting performance issue.

What needs improvement?

It's not able to monitor SAP transactions.

I've used it for two years.

Absolutely not and it's easy and fast. Within a few minutes you can see what you didn't see before.

No, we haven't gotten any problems so far.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It's not able to monitor SAP transactions.

I've used it for two years.

No, we haven't gotten any problems so far.

No issues with the hardware/software, but the licensing did cause some issues.

Good.

Good.

No we didn't.

As I said before the initial set-up was simple and fast.

We implemented it in house.

What other advice do I have?

We chose Riverbed for its complete solution portfolio that can help monitoring and solve performance issues.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Riverbed Partner. We have developed a Cloud service based on Riverbed NPM and APM products lion.lantech.it
User with 51-200 employees
Excellent for strategic metrics and as a troubleshooting/analysis tool, but needs better integration with AppInternals Xpert

Valuable Features:

Appliance passively monitors network traffic. Ability to group transactions, great charts and correlation capabilities. Excellent for strategic metrics and as a troubleshooting/analysis tool. Thresholds and trap generation. Excellent protocol analytics out-of-the-box. Traffic capture warehouse. Good integration with AppTransaction Xpert (transaction analysis like wireshark) and Wireshark. Publishes reports. Some data accessible though API - can be integrated with existing management systems.

Use of Solution:

I began using ARX in 2008. I use it frequently as an APM analytic tool.

Stability Issues:

I've found these appliances to be very stable

Scalability Issues:

Although the Director provides some centralized…

Valuable Features:

Use of Solution:

I began using ARX in 2008. I use it frequently as an APM analytic tool.

Stability Issues:

I've found these appliances to be very stable

Scalability Issues:

Although the Director provides some centralized management and RPM Dashboards provides some degree of integration, each appliance stands alone in collection and analytical ability. The appliances come in rather large sizes, but if you have a large enterprise and you're looking to bring data feeds in from several locations, it will likely have to be served on several appliances.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We provide professional services replying and using the analytic functions for Riverbed customers. We are also a partner.
Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
Efficient network troubleshooting and application performance solution

Valuable Features

Opnet probes (AppResponse Xpert), now part of Riverbed, capture network traffic and calculate automatically many applicative and network KPI. AppResponse Xpert can trigger alerts on KPI.
Captured traffic can be analysed in AppTransaction Xpert to find network or applicative issues. AppTransaction Xpert is a powerfull tool permitting to focus quickly on problems and freeing the network engineer from fastidious and time consuming calculations / research.

Improvements to My Organization

Provides quick feedback on day to day applicative and network issues and permit to quickly break the tie between applicative teams suspecting the network and network teams suspecting servers or applications.

It avoids long time discussions by providing quick results and reduces dramatically time to repair / fix the issue.

Use of Solution

4 years

Disks are heavily used for traffic capture and may break times to times but RAID feature avoids any production pause.

Medium.

Medium.

Senior Network Planner at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great trouble shooting tool. Isolation of problem points is key.
I have used AppResponse Xpert for several years. It's a great trouble shooting tool. Isolation of problem point(s) is key. Use it for initial high level capacity planning exercise and input to models for detail or discrete performance and capacity metrics.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Perfect for seeing the impact of SOA and complex applications

Valuable Features:

Very easy to use and gather value from the start. Easy to deploy on servers with little impact. Easier to gather information from the Server than from the Network Switch when there are multiple servers to combine for an application study.

Room for Improvement:

Marketing is complex and not well understood, so often this product is not considered a good fit just for a surface look. Applications are getting more complex as there are islands of services that are combined to provide value to the customer. The response time delay is hidden within service calls that are being made. This family of tools provides the insight needed to know where that response delay is happening. It also provides insight as to the number of service calls that are being made. While each service call may be short, doing 1,000 of them, brings major delays to the overall response time. Finding where that delay is happening is key to improving the application. These tools provide that insight and provide the ability to show the total response time that is taking place. As a side note: Often I used the Capture side of the product more than the Analysis side of the product. The ability to do captures without having to use tcpdump on each system is very helpful. This ability takes the grunt work out of gathering the basic information that is required for deeper analysis.They (Opnet) also use Wireshark in their analysis phase and then add even more analysis for some deeper dive information. This is helpful for general analysis. Also some of their decodes have been helpful as well.

Other Advice:

Use Cases: SOA brings a whole new meaning to the word distributed processing. Finding where work is really happening when an application is using SOA concepts is a challenge. In some cases, multiple traces are required as each trace reveals other servers and services that are engaged that were unknown to the original calling program of the SOA service. These are buried within the process of calling the first SOA service.
Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Riverbed, Dynatrace, New Relic, and more!