Riverbed Steelhead Overview

Riverbed Steelhead is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top WAN Optimization tools. It is most often compared to WAAS: Riverbed Steelhead vs WAAS

What is Riverbed Steelhead?

Riverbed SteelHead is the industry's #1 optimization solution for accelerated delivery of all applications across the hybrid enterprise. SteelHead also provides better visibility into application and network performance and the end user experience plus control through an application-aware approach to hybrid networking and path selection based on centralized, business intent-based policies for what you want to achieve as a business.

Riverbed Steelhead is also known as RIverbed Steelhead, Steelhead.

Download the WAN Optimization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Riverbed Steelhead Customers

Orasure Technologies, Energia Communications Inc., GHD, JLL, Northwest Pipe, Dudek & Associates, Lathrop & Gage, Carilion Clinic

Riverbed Steelhead Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Sr. IT Infrastructure and Systems Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Many of our offshore installation are on low bandwidth but this has really helped to optimize the network.

What other advice do I have?

Riverbed is great product and base functionality of these devices which is WAN optimization is handled by them in best and intelligent way.
Security Technical Analyst at a government with 10,001+ employees
The data reduction was fantastic, saved the company I was working for at the time a lot of time and money in upgrading circuits.

What other advice do I have?

Riverbed Steelhead is a brilliant concept, and well executed appliance. It really does do it's job very well and worth the investment.
Find out what your peers are saying about Riverbed, Cisco, Citrix and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
​It's helped ​to reduce WAN traffic by approximately 60%.​

What other advice do I have?

The SteelHead product is very good, easy to configure, however a home page which can be altered would enhance the gui
Network Engineer at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Easy deployment Fantastic bandwidth optimization Low maintenance requirements

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved the stability and throughput of the WAN, especially for remote small branches with low link speed. Reduced impact to network performance from Windows updates deployment on users PCs.

What needs improvement?

Better logic of the web GUI.

I've been using it for three years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We had some stability problems with a few devices. Probably RAM leaking issue by some processes which caused problem with remote access to the devices trough SSH or…
Senior Software Engineer at a government
Through this product, we can easily find the bottlenecks and where the traffic occurs or generated in the network. Not all devices are available for creating the topology.
Infrastructure Administrator at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
The compression features are valuable, as at most sites it doubled our effective MPLS bandwidth capabilities for transfers.
Network Administrator at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Easily, we were able to determine source/destination and how much data they have used.

What other advice do I have?

No additional comments or advice regarding Riverbed Steelhead. The devices were great, and proved to be a very valuable asset to the company.
Senior Network Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The reports available through the interface are very helpful to understand how effective the solution is working.

What other advice do I have?

In addition to the effective optimization we get out of this solution it integrates directly with some Riverbed SteelCentral monitoring tools we own. Check out software-defined WAN solutions as well before any hardware solution. SD WAN acceleration solutions have likely improved quite a bit in the last few years.
Validation Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
It compresses more than 50% of the daily throughput​.

What other advice do I have?

This product is far way ahead from its competitors.
Network Administrator at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has become a valuable traffic shaping tool via its ability to set QoS marking on traffic we specify.​

What other advice do I have?

Although I'm sure this is obvious to most it may not be to some when you make your initial purchase you need to buy at least two. The SteelCentral Controller is not strictly needed as all the units can be managed individually, but the more units you deploy, it becomes more difficult to maintain a standard configuration across devices. This is where the SCC comes in very handy.
Senior Network Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
​By utilizing the RSP slots we can create a virtual domain controller and/or member server at our remote sites.

What other advice do I have?

It is very good at optimizing WAN traffic and it has so many more features on top of that which help global enterprises monitor, identify and police traffic by application type, IP subnet, source, and/or destination. Amazingly efficient tool to use when troubleshooting WAN issues..(customer complaints and more).
Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
Senior Network Operations Specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Customer Service and Tech Support get a 5 out of 5. It should handle more traffic simultaneously.

What other advice do I have?

Please do some diligent research before purchasing the product. It is quite expensive but it is worth it in the long run.