Jewemars Christian Riano
Service Delivery Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can retrieve data faster, trimming down our recovery time

• "In terms of usage, Rubrik has allowed us to retrieve data 80 to 90 percent faster than our previous technology."
  • "The reporting in the dashboard and reporting for extractions both need improvement. I would suggest making them easier to understand and use, not just out-of-the-box. We should also be able to customize them."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of Rubrik are to back up critical files, servers, documents, VMs, and partition drives from servers. We protect our Linux and Unix OSs.

I am using both their physical appliances and software. We are using it on SaaS.

How has it helped my organization?

The SLA-based policy automation affects us greatly because we don't need to monitor it daily. We just allow the SLA to screen and do a daily checkup, e.g., if the SLA proceeded and or if it failed. This makes our work much easier.

We use the archival functionality in terms of our cloud operations. Instead of buying extra hardware or extra large devices for Rubrik, we attached it and transferred our on-premise data to the cloud. We had a seamless connection from the AWS platform.

What is most valuable?

Lately, we appreciate the archival to cloud and search finder for restorations, where we don't need to back up or restore the overall backup of a drive. Instead, we just retrieve specific files from specific servers.

Rubrik's web interface is user-friendly. It takes time to understand every aspect of the system and interface, but it is understandable and quite easy to use.

It is seamless with fast backup storage.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Rubrik for around two years.

We have had some minor issues, but they have been solved. In terms of backup, it has been quite good and works as expected.

I would rate the scalability as a three out of five because additional hardware is a must if in terms of infrastructure loads. In terms of archival functionality, the scalability is good because you can achieve that through cloud storage.

We have four Rubrik clusters with 41 DB in them. I would assume that we are backing up around 100 terabytes of data from the company.

We have three system administrators who handle the infrastructure side of the company.

In terms of escalating tickets or bugs, they are very quick in terms of their support system.

We used a different solution called Legato, which is an old school tape backup solution. We switched to Rubrik because of:

1. Costs.
  2. Time.
  3. Hardware updates and outdated technology.

Compared to the way that we were previously backing up different files and servers, using Rubrik is as easy as clicking a button, except using dates.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Rubrik's partner (Trend Micro) usually does the heavy work on it. It only takes around three to four hours to set up, depending on the company's infrastructure and security. We had a very good experience during the deployment process.

We were able to decrease the process around five minutes using Rubrik from a day's work.

It trims down recovery testing time from eight hours to 10 to 15 minutes.

We reviewed Commvault, Rubrik, and Dell EMC. Rubrik won out in stability, support, and functionality.

What other advice do I have?

Know your needs first and understand if Rubrik can provide the solution to your problems. In terms of backup, Rubrik is a top-notch technology. In terms of user-friendliness, UI, and the price, it is suitable for a company or startup to consider this solution.

Time matters in terms of receiving and backing up data. Having a solution that can fit in terms of time management can help a company thrive.

We don't actually backup cloud systems. We only do archival. We upload the on-premise data to the cloud.

I would rate Rubrik as a 10 (out of 10).

JR
CTO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Easy to install, easy to balance, and easy to work with

• "I don't know if it is the best or the worst but it's very easy to install and very easy to balance. Sometimes that it's a problem because the installer of these data gets extremely scared because it's so easy. The product is easy to install, easy to balance, and easy to work with. Another really good point is the instant recovery."
  • "The recovery of Oracle databases is too complicated. It is not something that helps the DBA, the Database Administrator, but it should be done by the backup person like many other solutions. Everything is ready for the DBA to recover the database. It is a way of doing things, but I don't think you should give the backup people the ability to do it."

What is most valuable?

The recovery of virtual machines and SQL databases is really fast. I mean half the time or less, which is absolutely great.

I have been using Rubrik for one and a half years.

They could make it a little bit more robust and more reliable.

We don't require any technical people for maintenance. When Rubrik was first establishing itself, we hired help for the first one or two times but the rest is so easy. The very first one, somebody has to do it, but for the second or third one, you can do it by yourself. It could be very good or very bad, depending on what you think. If you are trying to sell professional services, with Rubrik you are dead.

We've had support from Rubrik, we opened a couple of requests. It was a really fast response and they solved the problem very easily. We don't a lot of experience, just a couple of tickets but well, pretty well solved.

The initial setup was easy. The PowerPoints take something like an hour or two. Whatever the goal is, if you find problems, and you find a heavy percent of the problems are networking problems, you have the ports that need to be opened, and the person in charge of opening the ports is on vacation. But from PowerPoint to real life, there is not a big difference. The PowerPoint says an hour or two but starting from scratch to do backups, takes a few hours.

There is not a big difference between Rubrik and Cohesity. Both companies and both products are clearly the same. There are a lot of differences between Rubrik or Cohesity and the old-fashioned kind of solutions like Veritas. Rubrik represents the new way of doing backups and recoveries, it's totally different, more efficient, and easier. It's absolutely an advantage.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be when you are thinking about implementing Rubrik you need professional services and proper briefings. You need advice on-site and for configuring the system because the new way of doing things, deduplication, and all those kinds of things, is going to be a necessary configuration to run your backup system. It is very important to do it right at the beginning. To do that, you have to work closely with whatever the partner or Rubrik people you can involve.

I would rate Rubrik an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Rubrik. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AH
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy initial setup, very stable, and offers a very fast recovery process

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "The solution needs to be more secure and needs to better protect against ransomware."

What is most valuable?

The instant recovery aspect of the solution is the most valuable aspect for me. It can recover the entire VMO database within five seconds. It's really quick. The database can be recovered on the local backup machine disk, and then brought up by the virtual machines.

Of course, afterwards, you need to refresh your vMotion back to the original storage area. That takes a long time, maybe hours, however, the instant recovery portion only takes seconds to recover on the SSD hard disc.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it was cheaper and cost us less to use.

The solution could be more user friendly. The current UI could be improved considerably, which would make it more comfortable to navigate.

The solution needs Continuous Data, or CDP. It may be that we don't have it because we have an older version. It may be on version 5.2 or 5.3 already.

I've been using the solution, at this point, for about one and a half years.

The solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I believe the solution can scale pretty well. I haven't actually tried it out at our organization, therefore, it's hard to say for sure.

There only a couple of admin personnel on the solution at our company.

We have dealt with technical support in the past. In fact, we have three open cases right now. They've been pretty good in terms of the service they provide. They are responsive and are able to fix the problems we have.

Before we began using Rubrik, we used to use HP Data Protector. We decided to switch due to the fact that the HP solution we had was getting to be too old and we realized simply upgrading it would have cost us quite a bit of money.

The old solution we had was using a tape library to backup the data and it took too long to backup all the data on the tape. We were trying to find another better way or faster way to backup our data source. That's why we ultimately chose Rubrik.

We found the initial setup to be very straightforward. It wasn't complex for us in any way.

The deployment process took a few hours. It didn't take too long.

The cost of the solution is quite high. It's not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Rubrik.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using, however, it may be a variation of version five.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it had a friendlier user interface, I would probably rate it higher.

MA
Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Live Mount allows me to spin up copies of my current system in a development state, takes me 80 percent less time to manage my backup environment

• "Takes me 80 percent less time to manage my backup environment."
  • "The integrated reporting is not really that nicely built. The reporting functionality could definitely be a little bit more customizable from an administration perspective, with an easier to understand interface."

What is our primary use case?

Rubrik is our primary backup solution for production and development systems. We also use it for testing purposes when we need to spin off a temporary non-production environment. The solution protects some of our VM's, SQL, and even physical appliances.

How has it helped my organization?

A definite improvement using Rubrik has had on our organization is that it cuts down the operational time spent in the backup world, equaling fewer support calls and less time spent on engineering the product. This is because everything essentially functions straight out of the box. SLA-based policy automation is easy to use and easy to customize. It has made day-to-day operations a lot simpler because of the simplicity in creating SLA procedures. It saves us time.

What is most valuable?

The Live Mount is one of the most valuable features since it allows us to spin up copies of our current systems in what is just basically a development state.

The Rubrik archival functionality is also a good feature that works well and is definitely useful.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Rubrik for four years.

Rubrik is definitely a stable product.

I consider Rubrik scalable because all you need to do is add another Brik and it's seamless.

At this point we have adopted it 100 percent, so we do not have plans to increase its usage.

I have found Rubrik's technical support to be extremely knowledgeable and easily accessible.

Prior to using Rubrik we used Commvault. We switched solutions because of the features, the simplicity of the product, and its speed.

I'm spending less time managing the solution. I would estimate that Rubrik recovery testing saves us 80% in time as compared to our prior solution.

Rubrik's support is definitely on the expensive side, but I consider it to be top of the line. We incur no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

Needless to say, we evaluated Commvault, as we were making use of it at the time. Other solutions we evaluated include Veeam and Dell. I think it was the ease of use, reliability, and scalability of Rubrik that influenced our decision.

What other advice do I have?

The Rubrik web interface is really easy to use. Three or four people work on Rubrik in operational roles.

In addition, our use of Rubrik Polaris, which is a SaaS-based framework, is showing good savings in the time it takes us to manage backups.

In response to customer feedback, Rubrik has already implemented an improvement which enables you to restore Active Directory at a more granular level.

JB
Principal at a venture capital & private equity firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, supports cloud backup, and can be used as a file server

• "What I like about Rubrik is that you can back up to the cloud. It is a different kind of backup where you're not archiving the tape. Rubrik is a physical appliance. It is a dedicated appliance to which you can back up, and you can also back up to another device. So, you can back up to Rubrik and then to another device. If you have more than one site, you can set up Rubrik on site A and also on site B. You can back up to the Rubrik on site A and then replicate that data to the Rubrik on site B."
  • "It is a lot more expensive than other solutions, but you get what you pay for."

What is most valuable?

What I like about Rubrik is that you can back up to the cloud. It is a different kind of backup where you're not archiving the tape. Rubrik is a physical appliance. It is a dedicated appliance to which you can back up, and you can also back up to another device. So, you can back up to Rubrik and then to another device. If you have more than one site, you can set up Rubrik on site A and also on site B. You can back up to the Rubrik on site A and then replicate that data to the Rubrik on site B.

I like it. There are so many functions. It can also be used as a file server. It is a physical appliance. It is a backup device, but it can also be used as a file server. It can back up a file share.

What needs improvement?

It is a lot more expensive than other solutions, but you get what you pay for.

I didn't have any issues with it.

You can scale it. It is expensive, and it normally requires their support team's help because it is a physical brick. So, you usually connect another brick to it, and it scales out to that brick. So, it is easy to scale out. Scalability is not a problem.

Since the time I've used it, I never had to call their support. I didn't have any issues with it.

It is pretty easy to set up because it is a physical appliance. You just need to configure IP addresses. There is not much to set up on that. You just plug it into the network and assign IP addresses. After that, you just log in, and you're ready to go.

Some people say it is expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you want a Maserati, you have to pay for it. If you want to buy a Porsche, you have to pay for it.

What other advice do I have?

If you're still backing the tape, Rubrik is not going to be for you.

I would rate it a strong nine out of 10. It is a solid product.

Boomchi Kumar
Engagement Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Live mount capability significantly reduces complexity and provides good RTO

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution extensively - it helps with fast recovery scenarios and some ransomware issues. The solution is used by the operations department and I believe there are more than five people involved in maintenance, most are storage or network admins. I'm an engagement architect.

What is most valuable?

The live mount capability is the most valuable feature in the product because it reduces the complexity and gives us good RTO.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, it's pretty rough.

I've been using this solution since it was introduced into the market about four or five years ago.

There is good stability in this…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, it's pretty rough.

There is good stability in this solution, it's reliable.

The solution is highly scalable and reliable. We have a lot of users in the company, most are storage and backup admins. Not everyone has access to the backup system.

Rubrik customer support is excellent.

I have used Veritas in the past. We switched to Rubrik because the solution offered more.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment to about three hours, no more. The setup time really depends on net issues.

What other advice do I have?

This product is easy to manage.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Rubrik Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.