JL
Network Specialist, Information Technology at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Significant backup time savings, user-friendly, stable, and good support

• "The web interface is user-friendly, clean, and it provides a good summary of what you're protecting at a glance."
  • "The reporting, in particular the customization of reports, needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Rubrik has been our main backup and disaster recovery solution for two campuses.

We are using the hardware appliance, rather than the virtual solution. The environments that we are protecting are 99% virtual and just a couple of physical systems.

The specific systems that we protect are SQL, Oracle, ERP, and our wireless controllers.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have to dedicate a full-time employee just to look at and manage the backups. After implementing Rubrik, we no longer need a dedicated person. It's user-friendly to the point where anybody can just look at it and figure what's going on.

The time we spend on recovery testing has been improved by up to 50%. Similarly, we have saved time in managing our backups. The savings in time for managing our backups is up to 50%.

Using Rubrik has helped to reduce our downtime by up to 50%.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the SLA design is the most useful feature. You just set it and you don't need to come back to it again or worry about it.

The SLA-based policy administration has helped us to adjust the workflow, saving us time. This is because what we have right now is that we set up an SLA based on what the appliance does; for example, it might be an SQL server or an application server.

The web interface is user-friendly, clean, and it provides a good summary of what you're protecting at a glance. It also shows you whether there are jobs running, or not. It is my daily task to look at the web interface to monitor our status.

We use the archival functionality and it seems to work fine. We don't see a conflict with it.

The integration with EMC Isilon works well and it's a really great idea to have Rubrik take the snapshot not just on its end, but on the appliance end, and be able to retrieve it.

We used the predictive search functionality and find that it makes things easier to do. We save a lot of time in trying to figure out whether we need to download a file first, or whether we need to unarchive it.

What needs improvement?

The reporting, in particular the customization of reports, needs to be improved. It should be more user-friendly and a little bit easier to do. The reports should be less dull, as they are a little bit too technical for management.

When upgrading the software, the data on the node being upgraded should still be accessible from the other nodes.

We have been a Rubrik customer since 2017.

This product is very stable. Each time that we asked to do a backup job or a restore, it simply performs the command. We have not seen any compatibility issues.

There is no maintenance, except for security advisories that Rubrik recommends once in a while.

We have not seen any limitation in the amount of data that we are backing up. Between two locations, we are backing up approximately 40 terabytes.

The support from Rubrik is excellent. They do support tunnels on the back end, and you can simply email support and they will get an answer to you within that hour. Or, if you call, then someone will address your issue right away.

Previously, we used to have Dell EMC Avamar and we were running into a problem where the backup jobs would conflict with each other. Now, Rubrik does that for us and fixes it. Not only that, but we're uploading to Azure as well. This means that we didn't have to worry about that part and how to configure it. It can be a complicated process, but the Rubrik software made it simpler to do and easy to manage.

This is one of the reasons that we switched to Rubrik.

We also have EMC Isilon, and the backup jobs were taking far too long to complete. It would take days and with Rubrik, there was a significant improvement. I would estimate a 40% cut in the time required to complete a backup.

I find the deployment process very straightforward. It was set up in just a few hours.

The process is basically to rack and stack, then assignment management and data VLAN to the Rubrik appliance.

Three of us were involved in the initial setup. There was me, a colleague of mine, and a Rubrik engineer. The engineer from Rubrik was very professional, insightful, and answered all of the questions that we had about the product.

As a technical person, I don't have the details, but from what I have heard, it can be expensive.

I did not personally evaluate other products but my colleague, who was handling the project, evaluated Veeam and Cohesity.

What other advice do I have?

Rubrik is fully-equipped in the sense that it is a full-service backup appliance. You can search, restore, perform backups, and you can live-mount.

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to look at what type of appliance you have and check the compatibility. Review case studies or testimonials from customers who have that appliance to get their feedback on it, and then do a demo.

What I have learned from using this product is that when the appliance does throw an error, it's not typically Rubrik's fault because they do the API calls. It's on the appliance end, so you have to keep it up to date. This is from both a firmware and software perspective.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Jewemars Christian Riano
Service Delivery Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can retrieve data faster, trimming down our recovery time

• "In terms of usage, Rubrik has allowed us to retrieve data 80 to 90 percent faster than our previous technology."
  • "The reporting in the dashboard and reporting for extractions both need improvement. I would suggest making them easier to understand and use, not just out-of-the-box. We should also be able to customize them."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of Rubrik are to back up critical files, servers, documents, VMs, and partition drives from servers. We protect our Linux and Unix OSs.

I am using both their physical appliances and software. We are using it on SaaS.

How has it helped my organization?

The SLA-based policy automation affects us greatly because we don't need to monitor it daily. We just allow the SLA to screen and do a daily checkup, e.g., if the SLA proceeded and or if it failed. This makes our work much easier.

We use the archival functionality in terms of our cloud operations. Instead of buying extra hardware or extra large devices for Rubrik, we attached it and transferred our on-premise data to the cloud. We had a seamless connection from the AWS platform.

What is most valuable?

Lately, we appreciate the archival to cloud and search finder for restorations, where we don't need to back up or restore the overall backup of a drive. Instead, we just retrieve specific files from specific servers.

Rubrik's web interface is user-friendly. It takes time to understand every aspect of the system and interface, but it is understandable and quite easy to use.

It is seamless with fast backup storage.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Rubrik for around two years.

We have had some minor issues, but they have been solved. In terms of backup, it has been quite good and works as expected.

I would rate the scalability as a three out of five because additional hardware is a must if in terms of infrastructure loads. In terms of archival functionality, the scalability is good because you can achieve that through cloud storage.

We have four Rubrik clusters with 41 DB in them. I would assume that we are backing up around 100 terabytes of data from the company.

We have three system administrators who handle the infrastructure side of the company.

In terms of escalating tickets or bugs, they are very quick in terms of their support system.

We used a different solution called Legato, which is an old school tape backup solution. We switched to Rubrik because of:

1. Costs.
  2. Time.
  3. Hardware updates and outdated technology.

Compared to the way that we were previously backing up different files and servers, using Rubrik is as easy as clicking a button, except using dates.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Rubrik's partner (Trend Micro) usually does the heavy work on it. It only takes around three to four hours to set up, depending on the company's infrastructure and security. We had a very good experience during the deployment process.

We were able to decrease the process around five minutes using Rubrik from a day's work.

It trims down recovery testing time from eight hours to 10 to 15 minutes.

We reviewed Commvault, Rubrik, and Dell EMC. Rubrik won out in stability, support, and functionality.

What other advice do I have?

Know your needs first and understand if Rubrik can provide the solution to your problems. In terms of backup, Rubrik is a top-notch technology. In terms of user-friendliness, UI, and the price, it is suitable for a company or startup to consider this solution.

Time matters in terms of receiving and backing up data. Having a solution that can fit in terms of time management can help a company thrive.

We don't actually backup cloud systems. We only do archival. We upload the on-premise data to the cloud.

I would rate Rubrik as a 10 (out of 10).

Learn what your peers think about Rubrik. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JR
CTO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Easy to install, easy to balance, and easy to work with

• "I don't know if it is the best or the worst but it's very easy to install and very easy to balance. Sometimes that it's a problem because the installer of these data gets extremely scared because it's so easy. The product is easy to install, easy to balance, and easy to work with. Another really good point is the instant recovery."
  • "The recovery of Oracle databases is too complicated. It is not something that helps the DBA, the Database Administrator, but it should be done by the backup person like many other solutions. Everything is ready for the DBA to recover the database. It is a way of doing things, but I don't think you should give the backup people the ability to do it."

What is most valuable?

The recovery of virtual machines and SQL databases is really fast. I mean half the time or less, which is absolutely great.

I have been using Rubrik for one and a half years.

They could make it a little bit more robust and more reliable.

We don't require any technical people for maintenance. When Rubrik was first establishing itself, we hired help for the first one or two times but the rest is so easy. The very first one, somebody has to do it, but for the second or third one, you can do it by yourself. It could be very good or very bad, depending on what you think. If you are trying to sell professional services, with Rubrik you are dead.

We've had support from Rubrik, we opened a couple of requests. It was a really fast response and they solved the problem very easily. We don't a lot of experience, just a couple of tickets but well, pretty well solved.

The initial setup was easy. The PowerPoints take something like an hour or two. Whatever the goal is, if you find problems, and you find a heavy percent of the problems are networking problems, you have the ports that need to be opened, and the person in charge of opening the ports is on vacation. But from PowerPoint to real life, there is not a big difference. The PowerPoint says an hour or two but starting from scratch to do backups, takes a few hours.

There is not a big difference between Rubrik and Cohesity. Both companies and both products are clearly the same. There are a lot of differences between Rubrik or Cohesity and the old-fashioned kind of solutions like Veritas. Rubrik represents the new way of doing backups and recoveries, it's totally different, more efficient, and easier. It's absolutely an advantage.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be when you are thinking about implementing Rubrik you need professional services and proper briefings. You need advice on-site and for configuring the system because the new way of doing things, deduplication, and all those kinds of things, is going to be a necessary configuration to run your backup system. It is very important to do it right at the beginning. To do that, you have to work closely with whatever the partner or Rubrik people you can involve.

I would rate Rubrik an eight out of ten.

AH
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy initial setup, very stable, and offers a very fast recovery process

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "The solution needs to be more secure and needs to better protect against ransomware."

What is most valuable?

The instant recovery aspect of the solution is the most valuable aspect for me. It can recover the entire VMO database within five seconds. It's really quick. The database can be recovered on the local backup machine disk, and then brought up by the virtual machines.

Of course, afterwards, you need to refresh your vMotion back to the original storage area. That takes a long time, maybe hours, however, the instant recovery portion only takes seconds to recover on the SSD hard disc.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it was cheaper and cost us less to use.

The solution could be more user friendly. The current UI could be improved considerably, which would make it more comfortable to navigate.

The solution needs Continuous Data, or CDP. It may be that we don't have it because we have an older version. It may be on version 5.2 or 5.3 already.

I've been using the solution, at this point, for about one and a half years.

The solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I believe the solution can scale pretty well. I haven't actually tried it out at our organization, therefore, it's hard to say for sure.

There only a couple of admin personnel on the solution at our company.

We have dealt with technical support in the past. In fact, we have three open cases right now. They've been pretty good in terms of the service they provide. They are responsive and are able to fix the problems we have.

Before we began using Rubrik, we used to use HP Data Protector. We decided to switch due to the fact that the HP solution we had was getting to be too old and we realized simply upgrading it would have cost us quite a bit of money.

The old solution we had was using a tape library to backup the data and it took too long to backup all the data on the tape. We were trying to find another better way or faster way to backup our data source. That's why we ultimately chose Rubrik.

We found the initial setup to be very straightforward. It wasn't complex for us in any way.

The deployment process took a few hours. It didn't take too long.

The cost of the solution is quite high. It's not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Rubrik.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using, however, it may be a variation of version five.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it had a friendlier user interface, I would probably rate it higher.

MA
Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Live Mount allows me to spin up copies of my current system in a development state, takes me 80 percent less time to manage my backup environment

• "Takes me 80 percent less time to manage my backup environment."
  • "The integrated reporting is not really that nicely built. The reporting functionality could definitely be a little bit more customizable from an administration perspective, with an easier to understand interface."

What is our primary use case?

Rubrik is our primary backup solution for production and development systems. We also use it for testing purposes when we need to spin off a temporary non-production environment. The solution protects some of our VM's, SQL, and even physical appliances.

How has it helped my organization?

A definite improvement using Rubrik has had on our organization is that it cuts down the operational time spent in the backup world, equaling fewer support calls and less time spent on engineering the product. This is because everything essentially functions straight out of the box. SLA-based policy automation is easy to use and easy to customize. It has made day-to-day operations a lot simpler because of the simplicity in creating SLA procedures. It saves us time.

What is most valuable?

The Live Mount is one of the most valuable features since it allows us to spin up copies of our current systems in what is just basically a development state.

The Rubrik archival functionality is also a good feature that works well and is definitely useful.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Rubrik for four years.

Rubrik is definitely a stable product.

I consider Rubrik scalable because all you need to do is add another Brik and it's seamless.

At this point we have adopted it 100 percent, so we do not have plans to increase its usage.

I have found Rubrik's technical support to be extremely knowledgeable and easily accessible.

Prior to using Rubrik we used Commvault. We switched solutions because of the features, the simplicity of the product, and its speed.

I'm spending less time managing the solution. I would estimate that Rubrik recovery testing saves us 80% in time as compared to our prior solution.

Rubrik's support is definitely on the expensive side, but I consider it to be top of the line. We incur no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

Needless to say, we evaluated Commvault, as we were making use of it at the time. Other solutions we evaluated include Veeam and Dell. I think it was the ease of use, reliability, and scalability of Rubrik that influenced our decision.

What other advice do I have?

The Rubrik web interface is really easy to use. Three or four people work on Rubrik in operational roles.

In addition, our use of Rubrik Polaris, which is a SaaS-based framework, is showing good savings in the time it takes us to manage backups.

In response to customer feedback, Rubrik has already implemented an improvement which enables you to restore Active Directory at a more granular level.

Boomchi Kumar
Engagement Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Live mount capability significantly reduces complexity and provides good RTO

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution extensively - it helps with fast recovery scenarios and some ransomware issues. The solution is used by the operations department and I believe there are more than five people involved in maintenance, most are storage or network admins. I'm an engagement architect.

What is most valuable?

The live mount capability is the most valuable feature in the product because it reduces the complexity and gives us good RTO.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, it's pretty rough.

I've been using this solution since it was introduced into the market about four or five years ago.

There is good stability in this…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, it's pretty rough.

There is good stability in this solution, it's reliable.

The solution is highly scalable and reliable. We have a lot of users in the company, most are storage and backup admins. Not everyone has access to the backup system.

Rubrik customer support is excellent.

I have used Veritas in the past. We switched to Rubrik because the solution offered more.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment to about three hours, no more. The setup time really depends on net issues.

What other advice do I have?

This product is easy to manage.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Rubrik Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.