Rubrik OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Rubrik is the #3 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Rubrik vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Rubrik?

Rubrik provides the industry's first Converged Data Management platform with the Rubrik r300 Series Hybrid Cloud Appliance, fusing enterprise-class data management with web-scale IT. Organizations use Rubrik to deliver live data access to recover from failures and accelerate application development. Our team has helped build products such as Google File System, Google Search, YouTube, Facebook Data Infrastructure, VMware Virtualization, Data Domain File System, and Amazon Infrastructure.

Rubrik Buyer's Guide

Download the Rubrik Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Rubrik Customers

Driscoll's, Red Hawk Casino, Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP, Wabash National, Chateau Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, Galliker Transport & Logistics

Rubrik Video

Archived Rubrik Reviews (more than two years old)

Matthew Gill
Senior Network System Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Takes the load off vSphere or any of our ESXi hosts and makes things just a dream to manage

• "The fact that the API is so available to us with the playground — there's an internal and public playground — is also valuable. We can write API calls — and although I'm sure there's a way we could hurt the data — we write those calls with a lot of certainty that we won't be destroying anything. We write these API calls using really easy mechanisms and generate automation a lot faster."
  • "Also, the web interface is really great. The design, from a user-experience standpoint, is really straightforward and easy to use... they nailed it. Usually, from the very first panel, the dashboard that you land on after login, you've got most of your functionality right around where you need it to be. You've got your new items on the left, you've got your support on the top right. Nothing really seems out of place or just stuck in someplace."
  • "I have a personal want which might not necessarily make sense with Rubrik as a company or Rubrik as a software, but it'd be really nice if they could also handle things like item-level backups and restores of Active Directory objects and DNS and DCP objects."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Rubrik is backup and restore and as an archival system. We use it for backup and restore for virtual machines, managed volumes that are mounted and which we use for snapshots from Rubrik to endpoint devices, NAS shares from our Isilon system, as well as SQL databases, Oracle Databases, and Windows and Linux. We may have some failover cluster Windows shares going to it. It's for backups and restores of pretty much everything. It works really well in concert with Pure Storage technology. We have a really large Pure Storage environment and they play really well together.

The solution is on-prem and it's protecting environments that are on-premises exclusively at this point, although we have plans to push towards the cloud. Most of it is virtual but I'd be surprised if we didn't have at least half-a-dozen physical machines connected to it.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't think that we have had an instance where we needed to recover en masse, like from a ransomware attack, but we have disaster recovery in production, and as part of our strategy we back up things that are also in test. Because it's test, sometimes things get configured wrong, and that's the whole point of the test. You figure out what works for you and the company and what solves the problem. But you break things in the process sometimes. It's really great to be able to do all of your testing and all of your work in testing without a great fear of really losing data or losing progress very much. We've had phone calls where they say, "Hey, I need XYZ restored, or I need this entire drive restored, or I need this entire VM restored." At the click of a button, five seconds later, it's back. It took longer for them to tell me what they needed back than it did to get it returned.

We try to run a disaster recovery test at least once a year. We want to make sure things are working, especially since here in Louisiana we have hurricanes. There could be a storm that comes in and we have to migrate our data and everything. The great thing is, we've got our data in both our production data center and our DR center. We're frequently doing those tests, we're frequently replicating between our different data centers. We do get a report about the replication status. With the exception of that, I don't think we really do much restore testing. But when we have restored, it has always worked. I never restored things before we had Rubrik so it's hard to know whether it reduces the time spent on recovery testing.

I know from my previous scenario in higher education, if the user on the phone said, "I know exactly the file and directory I need restored and I know exactly the day that I need it restored from," then I could probably do it in under 20 minutes. With Rubrik, I can do that in about 35 seconds, if I am already logged in. And in my previous occupation, that 20 minutes was only if the file was actually backing up. Frequently, we encountered issues where the file wasn't even backing up. Sometimes there were issues that we didn't get an email about and, as a result, we weren't backing things up. We only found out things weren't getting backed up because somebody needed some data. Overall, it's a huge reduction in time, if we're going from 35 minutes down to a minute.

And if Rubrik doesn't back up, we know it. If there's some issue where a system goes down and it can't take a snapshot, we know it. And that's good. It's not that I want to get those emails, but those are the emails that make you confident in your system. It has detected a problem and it immediately lets me know about it. And it tells me, "This is exactly the problem." I know exactly what I'm looking for.

It's great whenever I get a call that says, "Hey, I need this restored," because it's like I get to be a superhero. The person on the other end thinks their stuff is gone. They know, "Oh yeah, we have backups. And they might work, unless something happened and we don't have them." Whenever you give them their file back, and it's the last version that they edited, and their work is safe, it's really awesome. That's our validation. I have a lot of confidence in the system.

Regarding my team's overall productivity, here's the thing that's really great about Rubrik. It's really great that I could have someone who doesn't do this for a living. Provided that permissions were set up right, I could have a normal user, who is in charge of just his own data, go in and participate in restore operations. Rubrik is that much of a seamless, easy-to-use system. That's not just productivity for my team, a team full of people who do this every day. Users know they don't even have to ask. They can log in, they can get to what they're looking for because it's very easy to find, and they can restore it. Even though I may be one of the primary people to configure and deal with the nuts and bolts of it, that doesn't mean I'm the only one who can actually restore and get files back.

There's also the aspect that, whenever they commit a change or do something, as long as we're within our SLA snapshot time, they know that their changes are secure and that their changes will be there. So if they need to walk back or change something, they know they'll be able to. Again, confidence and trust in the system is fantastic.

What is most valuable?

The restore and backup agent is really great. It takes the load off of vSphere or vCenter or any of our ESXi hosts. It makes things just a dream to manage.

The fact that the API is so available to us with the playground — there's an internal and public playground — is also valuable. We can write API calls — and although I'm sure there's a way we could hurt the data — we write those calls with a lot of certainty that we won't be destroying anything. We write these API calls using really easy mechanisms and generate automation a lot faster. We can integrate into other systems that might not be as easy with other solutions. We can integrate Rubrik into the systems very easily because they give us the tools to do so.

Also, the web interface is really great. The design, from a user-experience standpoint, is really straightforward and easy to use. Sometimes you go to websites and you can immediately tell, "This is going to be a pain to use." The buttons are in weird placements or when you click on something it doesn't load very quickly. I don't know if Rubrik got it right on the first try or if they went through a lot of user testing, or maybe they hired some people that did user experience in the past. But they nailed it. Usually, from the very first panel, the dashboard that you land on after login, you've got most of your functionality right around where you need it to be. You've got your new items on the left, you've got your support on the top right. Nothing really seems out of place or just stuck in someplace.

Generally, within three or four clicks, I can get anywhere I need to be, whether that's restoring a snapshot or creating a new host. It's really fast. And from a technical standpoint, you can get to the interface from any of the nodes within the Rubrik cluster. You don't just explicitly have to go to the cluster host's name at the top level. You can go to any of the nodes that make up the cluster. So let's just say networking is hard, systems sometimes are hard and things can break. That's just a thing that happens with computers, they're not perfect — I wouldn't have a job if things were perfect. Let's just say something happens where you don't have access to the cluster. You can go to any of the cluster resources, any of the nodes in the cluster, and you can access virtually the same interface.

That's awesome, because usually, in the past, if something was down and it affected the cluster endpoint, the primary website, you would have to SSH in, you would have to go into command line, and reboot the server. There's no need to do that here. You have to lose your entire environment for it to go down.

In terms of SLA-based policy automation, I don't know what they were doing before Rubrik. I have to imagine there was a similar SLA system. For me, personally, I had a very static, flat rate of four weeks and that was it. If I wanted to have a separate set of SLAs, a separate 15-day SLA or a separate 20-day SLA, I had to stand up a completely separate version of that system and point things to that. Instead of having multiple SLAs in the same system, I had multiple systems that were exactly one SLA, which is a big management headache. There's a lot of overhead to that. You have to have another machine to run it, you have another cluster to run it. I don't know if this is a normal thing in the industry or if it's just a thing that all of a sudden I've seen, but of course you would do it this way. Everyone should do it this way.

For me, it was a really big eye-opener, being able to say for each resource, "You're going to be a 15-day at this time. That's every snapshot that you're going to have." It's continuous protection. It's really awesome that I get to work with a product that does that and does it well. I saw videos when I was learning about Rubrik. Other places have these features too, but they might not work as well. Frequently they don't. That's really one of the big selling points of the system.

Rubrik's archival functionality is a no-brainer. It doesn't require a ton of thought. I don't have to over-engineer different policies to validate what I think it's doing. If it says it's doing it, it's doing it, and it's really easy to click a button and say, "Now it's done." It's a very convenient piece of tech and I absolutely love it.

Regarding API support for integration with other solutions, we have not used it directly with any of the other hardware except Pure Storage. Pure Storage and Rubrik really go together well. We use a batch management control, which is like a job-controller. It's a modern solution, but it doesn't feel like a modern solution. The developers of it went in a different way, so it accepts command line and PowerShell, but with Rubrik's PowerShell modules and their API at a raw level, we're able to integrate it into pretty much anything. We're able to control when and where snapshots fire off and how to lock the different volumes to write- and read-only, depending on what we want to do. We're able to control that with our seemingly legacy — it's not actually legacy — system, even though there's not a direct integration.

It's the same thing with Isilon. Via a script mentality, and in concert with Adam Fox over at Rubrik, we're able to work with him and push all of our Isilon endpoints, all of our network shares from Isilon, into Rubrik, without having to go through the GUI. In our case, we had quite a lot of Isilon hosted storage. We were able to push that to Rubrik relatively seamlessly and simply because they had an API out there for us to use.

We have a lot of DBAs who are interested in Rubrik because, whenever you're a database administrator, I can't imagine that you'd have a lot of fun. You're always worried about mitigating loss. You have your database, and your replication of your database, and your backups for your database, and additional backups for your database, and then you need validation on those backups. The great thing is that Rubrik does most of that. It's not replication for databases, but it backs up the database and it's very seamless. It's very fast.

There are different settings that you can have on those backups to get a varying range of SLAs, where it's up-to-the-minute, or day or hour. You can get that continuous data protection, which is really great.

What needs improvement?

I joke around, every time we meet our SE, and say they could use a dark theme for the user experience. Everything else has a dark theme now, so it'd be cool if it had a dark theme.

But on the serious side, I have a personal want which might not necessarily make sense with Rubrik as a company or Rubrik as a software, but it would be really nice if they could also handle things like item-level backups and restores of Active Directory objects and DNS and DCP objects.

In Active Directory there's a recycling bin where something goes if you delete it. I don't know if it's there for a static amount of time, like 90 days, or if it's until we hold 1,000 objects, so if you delete more things, the oldest ones go from the recycling bin. It would be really nice to have an additional layer of convenience, where if it's been in Active Directory for at least a day, and we're within our snapshot time, in addition to the machine itself, we have the actual objects in the Active Directory database so we can back that up. And similarly for DNS: all the records, all the zones, DHCP.

It would also be really great for DSS if they could somehow integrate it with Microsoft's technologies at a modular level. In general, I would like to see more integration with Microsoft at an item level. It already backs up the machine itself. We have the virtual machine which contains the database with DNS or the DHCP or Active Directory, but the restore operations, from a bare-metal restore like that, is technically very cumbersome. I don't know if it would just be a lot of built-in PowerShell scripting where it exports the data, saves that export in Rubrik somehow, and then imports it back in using a reverse method, but I think it would be really helpful if it could.

At one point I thought it would be really great to use it almost like SEPM where you could have modules or files where, instead of restoring back to its original location, you could distribute it to all of your restore points. I've walked back on that somewhat. I think that's a little too outside of the focus for Rubrik.

I personally have been using Rubrik for almost five months. It was deployed before I was working at my place of occupation. I used to work in higher education and I did the backups and the disaster recovery at that organization, amongst other things. When I came onboard at my present occupation, they said, "Here's the backup you're going to use, here's the system that we bought into, it's this thing called Rubrik." I said, "Cool. You've seen one system, you've seen them all. They all work." I believe the company has been using it for about a year.

Rubrik is incredibly stable. I'm getting out of that mode of thinking with Rubrik, "Well, maybe it won't work this time. Maybe it'll be down." It's never been down, it's never been inaccessible. If I can't connect to it, I'm typing the URL wrong. That's it.

We had other systems that are homegrown systems or even that were purchased. I don't know if there were technical aspects that were outside of our control, or that we just aren't mitigating or managing very well, with them. But as far as Rubrik is concerned, I've never had an issue accessing that on-prem system — and that's true even for our DR system which is technically on-prem but "over there," very far away. That includes nodes, the cluster. It's just been very good.

We have a lot of Rubrik, a lot of "bricks". If we needed more, we'd just buy more. The horizontal scaling is really great. I don't think we need anything immediately. But I could definitely imagine a moment in the past — not that I know that this happened — where we had ten nodes instead of the 50-something nodes we now have at each site, and we needed more and we put in more. I could totally see it all just working. It would just all of a sudden get better.

If we were ever pressed and at a point where we need something better, we needed more, I would imagine Rubrik would have a solution for us and it would work 100 percent. Whether that would be to PoC some new hardware and verify that it would actually improve our situation, or tweak a setting, or do a site survey to figure out what we're using and how to help, they would either get what we are using right now to work better, or they would figure out what we need to make it better moving forward.

That's scalability in a lot of ways. That's technical scalability in being consistent and stable and being able to improve and evolve. And that's stability and scalability and not having to plan your business processes around what should be a no-brainer issue. It's something that shouldn't drive your business. It should allow your business to be driven in whatever direction it needs to go. It should be something that just works, and so far I've seen it just works.

We have over 2,000 employees, and every one of those employees has some form of a computer and some have multiple: a laptop, or a laptop and a virtual machine, or just a virtual machine, or a laptop and two virtual machines. It's a big environment. We have hundreds of Windows Servers and about 100 Linux servers, if not more. We have pretty extensive Microsoft SQL environments which are either always-on clusters or a combination of always-on clusters and available clusters, and then we have some Oracle Databases as well.

I don't remember the exact number of what we're currently supporting in Rubrik, but I know it is a lot. We've integrated it in such a way — and this is a fairly normal process, but it's great — that whenever we put a machine online, part of the workflow is to get it to back up into Rubrik. Whenever we decommission things, it's to remove those backups 90 days after we remove the physical or virtual server. We keep backups X number of months after we remove the machine, just in case, depending on what our data retention policy is.

It's ingrained. We're invested. We made the jump.

While this might not count as a "tool," the support methodology with Rubrik is really interesting. When we need to do anything that is "invasive," if I have a question about how many upgrade-blocking things are in place, I open a support window, a ticket, and usually within ten minutes I'm contacted by someone, a real person, not just an automated system, at Rubrik.

It's really good. In my previous job to this one, I never really had an experience where the first response that I got back wasn't just an automated, robo-caller saying, "We've received your ticket, we will call you in a moment," and then two days later they would call. With Rubrik, you do get an email saying, "We've received your ticket and someone's going to call you." But within ten minutes, usually, and very rarely within any longer than 30 minutes, there is a real person on the phone calling me, who knows my name and is very aware of the situation. They're not asking me for a ton of information that I've already given in the ticket. They're really top-notch. And the support is integrated really well into the product.

That's not to say that we need support because things are broken. The support is there as an aid, as a tool for us.

We upgraded a month ago to the version we're on. We're planning on upgrading to the latest version, which I think is 5.03. The great thing is that we're really close with support. They work well with us. We don't upgrade to beta or anything like that, but whenever something big is coming down, they'll usually let us know. We'll talk to them about it and they'll tell us "Hey, this is a cool thing that maybe you guys can utilize."

We replaced Avamar with Rubrik and it assumed the exact same role that Avamar had. I never got to use Avamar. It was decommissioned before I got to my current company.

When I worked in higher education, because we didn't have a lot of money to buy solutions, a lot of it was open-source. So I was the support and I was the deployment and I was the debugger and I was the guy that had to code all the integration. It was hard for me to have a vision of, and architect, how we were going to use things. Back then, we needed to use something and I needed to make it happen.

So in a lot of ways, Rubrik is my first big, differentiating factor in backup and restore software. It's not like we weren't able to do it at my previous organization, but this is a completely different realm. It's a totally different level with Rubrik. I'm not saying that Avamar wouldn't have been a similar feeling. But I hear what other people on the team who were using Avamar before are saying, and I get the feeling that Rubrik is leaps and bounds better in terms of validating that the backups actually happened and that they're there.

In terms of deployment of the solution, it was vendor-aided. Rubrik helped through our SEs. If I had to guess, it would probably be less than half-a-dozen people who were a big part of the deployment, data center access and data center deployment notwithstanding. Some people had to go and plug and rack things.

We aren't interested in lagging behind as far as updates go. We're pretty good about updating to the latest version. The only reason we haven't done so right now is because it's in use. We continue to use it and the organization I work for is big. There are a lot of teams using it. So it's hard finding the time in the day where we can disconnect everything, upgrade the system, and then reconnect everything. That's on our side where we're trying to juggle all the teams that are making use of the product.

I believe our company has seen return on investment by going with Rubrik, although I can't talk about it in detail. I'm not a finance guy. But from the way I hear people talk about previous products we were using, and from my personal experience of wasted time in managing and deploying and supporting free or open-source software, I believe there is ROI. We've definitely done whatever was necessary to make the cost worthwhile.

I remember hearing that we purchased a multi-year, contractual agreement. I don't know if we purchased the hardware outright or if it's a lease-to-own scenario.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be in the form of a question. If you have the money to purchase Rubrik, the real question is do you want success? Do you want it to work? Because if you want it to work and you want it to be easy — I don't know if Rubrik has won awards for support and service, although I feel like they should have — if you want that support for the few times that you need it, then you go with Rubrik.

It's a really good, seamless system. It's a no-brainer, sometimes. It just works.

I met up with them at VMworld and I actually got to talk to one of the people who was writing the PowerShell modules that I was using for an automation piece that I was writing. I got to ask that person, developer-to-developer, why did you make this decision? I asked a couple of very in-depth questions, and I don't get to do that with a lot of other companies, the companies that are just a logo or just a payment box and a data center. I don't feel Rubrik is a payment box and a data center. It's more than that, it's bigger than that, and that's really good. There are communities out there for Rubrik and I can speak with other developers and other teams that have implemented Rubrik, and that's awesome. It's not a support portal and it's not a place where you go to air your grievances. You go there to have fun, you go there to learn.

I don't know that I've ever used a product that's been quite like it. There are a couple of products that are similar. You definitely get a lot out of Pure Storage, which is very much the same thing, but that's storage, not backup and restore. The advice I would give is: It's not charity software, it's not "for-free" software. It does cost, but what you're buying is a solution that will actually work. It will carry whatever weight you want to give it. And you're also getting the team that helped make it great.

We have not needed to use Rubrik's ransomware recovery yet. Thankfully we've been spared from having to utilize that component. But when I was at VMworld 2019 recently and I was watching a class on ransomware recovery, it was one of those things where thought, "Wow, I didn't even really know we had this." But we totally have this. We have Rubrik, and this is neat. I ended up talking to one of our SEs about it after the fact, and he said, "Yeah, well, you haven't needed it and hopefully you never will."

I believe some of our application developer teams are using Rubrik. They might not realize they're using it though, because a lot of the integration we put in is to back up the machines that they do work on, but they don't realize that we're backing them up. That's kind of sneaky. We're devious like that. We try to protect our users even from themselves sometimes.

For day-to-day maintenance there are only two or three people. I'm one of them, and I have another member on my team who is involved. We also have one of the database administrators who plays a big role in it. My passion, and where I fit perfectly in the team, is doing a lot of scripting. I'm a general-purpose solutions engineer with a focus in PowerShell, Active Directory, and Microsoft integration.

I don't like typically giving tens, because that says there's no room for improvement. But functionally, it's a 9.99999, which rounds up to a ten.

SS
Domain Specialist infrastructure& platforms with 5,001-10,000 employees
Simple and reliable with great value

What is most valuable?

We like this product because of its simplicity, pricing and reliability.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

The tech support is extremely helpful.

It was a straightforward setup. It was simple to do.

It is a great value, but its cost is still high.

What is most valuable?

We like this product because of its simplicity, pricing and reliability.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

The tech support is extremely helpful.

It was a straightforward setup. It was simple to do.

It is a great value, but its cost is still high.

Learn what your peers think about Rubrik. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JL
Network Specialist, Information Technology at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
This solution can serve as a secondary host for emergency recoveries

• "The live mounting and compatibility of different operating systems is great."
  • "Rubrik can also serve as a secondary host for emergency recoveries."
  • "I would like to have a built-in index searching ability of files/system files within the Rubrik interface to determine if a file or item exists, rather than just recovering it, and then doing a search for the file afterwards."

What is our primary use case?

• Daily backups at different intervals
  • Audits
  • Live mounting of production servers
  • DR

We are a 90 percent VM environment. We have a different OS environment, as well as databases.

How has it helped my organization?

The product is simply easy to use, efficient, and its out-of-the-box configuration just works. The SLA policy set makes it easy to manage and forget about time conflicting backup schedules. We have had a few recoveries, and this solution worked very well.

What is most valuable?

The live mounting and compatibility of different operating systems is great. Rubrik can also serve as a secondary host for emergency recoveries. It is fast and efficient.

No issues.

No issues.

Support is very friendly, easy to work with, and showed great expertise in the product.

We used Avamar, and it was complicated.

The initial setup is straightforward. We were up and running within an hour.

We had the vendor team onsite, and it was super fast to set up.

As little downtime as possible.

The product is not cheap, but for good reason. It simply works and is very fast.

We thought about Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try and find out for yourself if it is for your environment.

Lee Apps
Cloud Services Manager at Tecala Group
MSP

• "Features we have requested are typically added to the next product release."
  • "Product support team is excellent, with issues typically being resolved on the same day."
  • "A Google-like file search, system scaling, and a frequent development cycle are some positives that this solution offers."
  • "Global management of multiple systems is lacking, as is reporting across multiple installed units."

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP and offer Rubrik as a backup service to customers on private and public cloud environments and internally managed environments. We run the solution against VMware and Hyper-V with minimal physical systems.

Currently, there is no support for image-level backups on systems in Azure and AWS from Rubrik. Presently we use agent-level backups however this is not ideal for fast whole system recovery. The next version (4.2) has support for image backups, and this will be investigated for functionality when released.

How has it helped my organization?

The legacy backup solution required large capital expenditure upfront and was not easy to scale, required a high degree of technical expertise to operate, and featured time-consuming upgrades which required a lot of troubleshooting post-upgrade. The system also had many limitations around the number of concurrent hot mount operations.

Rubrik, on the other hand, is very easy to scale, can be operated by junior staff, and upgrades to date have been seamless. Each time we add a Brik we gain additional backup and restore performance. They claim performance at up to 30k IOPS per Brik, however, I suspect the actual figure to be below that. Having said that, we can instantly recover an entire customer's environment in minutes and run happily on the system until a storage vMotion is completed to production storage without any issues.

Google-like file search is another invaluable tool to quickly find and restore files directly to your browser. This feature has saved significant time for end users who can’t remember where they saved a file.

What is most valuable?

• Google-like file search
  • System scaling
  • Ease of use/upgrade/addition of capacity.
  • Frequent development cycle which is typically 3 months between feature releases.
  • Direct feedback to product managers is invaluable, features we have requested are typically added to the next product release.
  • Product support team is excellent, with issues typically being resolved the same day.
  • Although not in large-scale use at the moment, the ability to convert a VMware image backup to an EC2 instance will be of great use moving forward to provide disaster recovery to the cloud when required.

What needs improvement?

• Global management of multiple systems is lacking, as is reporting across multiple installed units. This is presently a development item in the Polaris platform, however the current capabilities do not justify the price tag.
  • MFA/SAML support to improve security for login to the backup system.
  • Image-level backup for Azure and AWS with storage held outside of the Azure/AWS account so that if an account breach does occur backups and primary data would not be compromised in a single attack.

Less than one year.

Avamar with Data Domain, which was expensive and hard to manage, and had poor product updates.

The initial setup was done in one to two hours, with racking the equipment being the most time-consuming part of the install.

If you are unsure, get a POC unit and see how easy backups can be to manage, and how easy restores are.

Veeam, Avamar, and Cohesity.

Paul Lerner
Director of Technology at FNY Capital Management
This solution reduced the amount of failed backups, which led to a reduced workload in IT operations

• "Rubrik has led to improvement by reducing the amount of failed backups, leading to a reduced workload in IT operations."
  • "It has a streamlined user interface, provides an improved tech support experience, and reduces time required to locate and restore data."
  • "Improving PowerShell integration would greatly simplify Rubrik management."

What is our primary use case?

As a financial company, we are under stringent data compliance, availability, and integrity rules. We use Rubrik to enhance governance of data archiving, as well as the backup and restore production environment consisting of multiple converged systems. We are also looking into the feasibility of using Rubrik as part of the firm's BCDR efforts and enhancement of the development environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Rubrik has led to improvement by reducing the amount of failed backups, leading to a reduced workload in IT operations. It has a streamlined user interface, provides an improved tech support experience, and reduces the time required to locate and restore data.

What is most valuable?

Automation with PowerShell allowed us to realize the additional benefits of integrating Rubrik with other PowerShell-capable systems within the same framework.

What needs improvement?

We run Microsoft Exchange on physical servers, and we are looking into simplified physical Microsoft Exchange server backup and restore capabilities.

Currently, more properties and methods are exposed via REST API when compared with PowerShell. Improving PowerShell integration would greatly simplify Rubrik management.

Mischa Donker
Cloud and Virtualisation Specialist at VodafoneZiggo

• "Instant recovery of virtual machines allows for the restoration of services in minutes."
  • "A singular system is needed to manage all of the clusters."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Rubrik solution to back up our private cloud environment with hundreds of virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

The old method of backup wasn't the right product for our cloud solution. The restore and backup times took to long.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the instant recovery of virtual machines. It allows us to restore services in minutes.

What needs improvement?

We need one system to manage all the Rubrik clusters. We are now looking into Rubrik Polaris as a solution.

It's a very stable solution.

Not at all.

All of the Rubrik engineers know everything about their products.

We used NetBackup in the past but it didn't fit with our new requirements.

Straightforward.

A Rubrik engineer configured the system for us at location.

The instant recovery is what we needed. I don't know the exact ROI.

I can't speak for others, but look at what you require in your environment.

NetBackup, Veeam and Cohesity

What other advice do I have?

Have a look at the Rubrik API Playground to automate a lot of processes.

Sam Kemp
Enterprise Architect at SH Data Technologies
CloudOn implementation allows for virtual machines to be stored offsite, instantiated, and spun-up

• "Cut backup remediation to nearly nothing."
  • "CloudOn allows for backed up virtual machines stored offsite in Azure to be instantiated as an Azure virtual machine and spun up."
  • "Automation functions, image based backup, and the ability to instantly recover anything from files to databases."
  • "It is an expensive product."
  • "It does not offer image-level backups for Hyper-V 2012."

What is our primary use case?

We are searching for a new backup product that reduces man hours and helps us automate more of the backup and recovery process for our MSP team.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to primarily be a Veeam shop when it came to doing backups in our data center and I never thought I would look for another product. However, some issues started cropping up with very large virtual machines that Veeam didn't have an easy way to solve. I decided to try out Rubrik. I can tell you that it was one of the best decisions we have made. It fixed all of our backup issues and cut backup remediation to nearly nothing. We've gained at least ten hours a week and I never have to worry about whether something is being backed up or not.

What is most valuable?

We have also implemented CloudOn which allows us to deploy backed up virtual machines stored offsite in Azure instantiated as an Azure virtual machine and spun up. It's a perfect scenario for low cost, full disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

I wish it had image-level backups available for Hyper-V 2012. I additionally would like for it to implement some of the functions that Veeam Cloud Connect has so that I can deploy an agent on a physical server and just start backing that up to one of our Briks. It can technically be done now but the Brik has to be able to talk to the server directly, so a direct path or VPN is required.

Nope

Nope

Customer service is top notch, which I am usually pretty disappointed in. So far it's the best I've seen for a tech company. Their service is far beyond my expectations.

We used Veeam and switched because of ease of use and time savings.

Initial Setup was simple.  I think the box took longer to mount in the rack than it did to setup.

Rubrik came onsite for our initial deployment.  Subsequent installs we've done ourselves.

Rubrik is an expensive product, more expensive than most.  However, the larger the environment you have, the quicker you will see savings in man hours.  We rarely have to touch our backup environment anymore as its so well designed, managed and automated.

We did not look elsewhere because Veeam was already at the top of the list.

What other advice do I have?

If you can afford this product, I fully recommend it. You will not look back.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Rubrik Service Provider Partner
Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
Backup time and infrastructure complexity are drastically reduced. The disk mount feature allows for immediate restore.

• "Time dedicated to backup was drastically reduced."
  • "A reduced infrastructure complexity and fast to rack and go."
  • "Disk mount that lets a restore happen immediately, no need to re-hydrate."
  • "Needs integration with video CD (coming in the next release) and a multi-tenant GUI."
  • "Lacks availability in a NFR format of virtual appliances to test them in public cloud environment."
  • "Setup is immediate but pricing is not cheap."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for IaaS customer environment backup in cloud and for internal purposes. We're planning on offering a GUI to the customers so that they'll be able to restore by themselves.

How has it helped my organization?

• Time dedicated to backup was drastically reduced.
  • Reduced infrastructure complexity, and easy and fast to restore.

What is most valuable?

• Disk mount that lets a restore happen immediately, no need to re-hydrate.
  • A reduced infrastructure complexity and fast to rack and go.

What needs improvement?

• Integration with video CD (coming in the next release) and a multi-tenant GUI.
  • Availability in a NFR format of virtual appliances to test them in public cloud environment.

No issues, integration between hardware and software makes it very stable.

Not at all, it's built to be scalable.

Any of the few customer issues were promptly solved by the support. We had internal training through videos offered on their site.

We used Commvault and Acronis and we switched, the first because of complexity, the second because of unreliability.

Very simple and assisted by their engineers on site.

We bought it directly from Rubrik, whose support is praiseworthy.

Since it was fast to rack and go, ROI is highly positive, and customer response was great.

Setup is immediate but pricing is not cheap. The best solution for a small company is to join a provider to backup in the cloud and/or locally with Rubrik Air (BaaS).

We looked at VEEAM (but was based only on a software solution) and Cohesity (similar but less performant).

What other advice do I have?

I'm completely enthusiastic about the product, and I advise it to everyone who needs a fast and easy solution.

MS
Lead Storage Administrator with 501-1,000 employees
User
Mounting recent backups drastically cuts down required time. This solution features a file search across all backups

• "The file search feature across all backups has been helpful."
  • "Mounting recent backups to create new servers rather than cloning servers in VMware drastically cut down required time."
  • "Troubleshooting failed backups is difficult, and deciphering the logs without the help of support is usually almost impossible."

What is our primary use case?

We use Rubrik as a secondary recovery method for our Tier 1 applications and the primary recovery method for our Tier 2 and below applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The time it takes to manage Rubrik across our entire multi-site environment takes considerably less time that it has taken in the past to manage a single location. With Rubrik's integration into VMware, we don't have to worry about unprotected new servers or changes made to existing servers.

What is most valuable?

The file search feature across all backups has been helpful. The surprising use has been mounting recent backups to create new servers rather than cloning servers in VMware, which drastically cut down required time.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting failed backups is not what it should be. Once you gather logs, deciphering them without the help of support is usually almost impossible. However, support is great in that regard.

None whatsoever.

The only issue we have run into is the sizing of the Virtual Edge devices. In retrospect, we sized incorrectly and ran into the limits of the virtual device. If we had setup a physical cluster, we would not have had any issues at all.

We used EMC Avamar for many years. Cost and support were key reasons for the switch.

Initially we save several hundred thousand dollars on purchase/licensing. However the true ROI is hard to calculate when you start to look at the quality of the services/support offered.

Within a couple of days of a proof of concept, you'll be convinced that what they have been telling you is true. The sales team was great in putting together a thorough cost comparison.

The scope of our requirements limited the playing field. We did look at solutions like Veeam and Unitrends. However, we settled rather quickly with Rubrik.

What other advice do I have?

A proof of concept will answer all of your questions and sell itself.

reviewer863799
User
The archive functon allows for data archival on the cloud or through NFS Share

What is our primary use case?

We use it to backup our virtual machines, specifically file-based backup and backup of our SQL Database. We also use it to archive data on NFS Share and the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to perform fast backups and very quick restores. Now we have a tool to restore a virtual machine with Windows Server 2012 R2 from about 1 TB in around 2 minutes up to login.

What is most valuable?

The Archive function, which allows you to archive data on the cloud or NFS Share. This allows us to use cheap space in the cloud to archive long-term data, and for short-term data we can use NFS Share.

What needs improvement?

I think the product is perfect as it is. It does exactly what it is supposed to, backup and restore.

One additional feature that would be nice in one of the next releases would be the integration of MySQL/MariaDB.

Less than one year.

No, if you need more space you can simply add a node.

Very good support who helps with each question. Very fast response time.

Yes, we used VMProtect but had problems with large Debian virtual machines under VMware. Sometimes the virtual machine got stuck with CPU at 100% after removing the snapshot.
This solution has much better backup and restore times.

Straightforward

Implemented through a in-house team.

One hour for critical virtual machines.

The product is not cheap, but you get really good value for your money. Setup costs are cheap because the product is easy to setup.

Yes we tried Veeam, but we had the same problem with large Debian virtual machines. The performance was not really better.

What other advice do I have?

Everyone who needs fast backup and quick restore should try it.

Frederic Lhoest
Senior Technology Architect at PCCW GLOBAL
The system is able to determine when it is the best time to do backups. This is SLA-driven.

• "The system is able to determine when it is the best time to do backups. This is SLA-driven, and if it is not possible to maintain this SLA, the system will tell you too."
  • "It needs to support more applications natively, like MySQL/MariaDB."

What is our primary use case?

We were operating more than 10 different backup products company-wide and none of them were doing the job correctly. While reviewing the market, I found Rubrik. They were small at the time, and have since acquired a lot of credibility. The first PoC was a real success. We decided to start with them at the end of 2017. We were amazed by the product's simplicity and performance.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the backup/restore process by a factor of a 1000. Now, we are sure what we have on our system is an exact image of what it was at the time of backup. Restoration validation is piece of cake. This is all new to us.

What is most valuable?

With Rubrik, there is backup window to manage. The system is able to determine when it is the best time to do backups. This is SLA-driven, and if it is not possible to maintain this SLA, the system will tell you too.

What needs improvement?

It needs to support more applications natively, like MySQL/MariaDB

Put more attention on the physical world. They already support it bit, but I would love to see endpoint protection.

Still implementing.

The platform is completely stable. We have never a crash.

So far, so good.

Customer support is very efficient. It is very similar to Nutanix, in my opinion.

We tried Veeam, which could be a valid alternative, except:

• You still need storage (Rubrik provides a turnkey solution).
  • You need a Windows license (Rubrik is Linux-based).
  • You still need to manage jobs (Rubrik is SLA-based).

The initial setup is easy. I created a blog post about it.

I did everything by myself.

It is hard to tell so far.

Rubrik is not cheap. Hopefully, you can archive your data on cheap storage to keep the investment minimal.

Veeam was considered, but dismissed.

What other advice do I have?

Do not be afraid to go with newcomers. Rubrik is a fast growing company, and there is a reason for it: They understand the business!

Matthew Vallandingham
Systems Administrator at Churchill Downs
It has greatly simplified our backup process

• "The Auto-Snapshot SLA feature and recovery time are amazing. It took seven seconds to have a server back up and running in production from a total failure."
  • "The user interface (UI) is great. It is very lightweight and intuitive."
  • "Rubrik needs to continue to listen to their customers and what they want/need, not just care about money and the bottom line."

What is our primary use case?

We use Rubrik for daily VM snapshots at local sites, but it is also used for replication in our DR sites because Rubrik has the ability to run a VM on its hardware in case of a failure.

How has it helped my organization?

It has greatly simplified our backup process. We create SLAs inside Rubrik, and it does the rest. For most VMs, there is not a Client to be installed.

We also like the DR features that Rubrik has. E.g., if our main storage goes down, we can temporarily mount VMs on Rubrik.

What is most valuable?

The user interface (UI) is great. It is very lightweight and intuitive.

What needs improvement?

There are so many things Rubrik has done right. They need to continue to listen to their customers and what they want/need, not just care about money and the bottom line. If they do, they will continue to grow and be a great product.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

We have had training sessions. We used customer support once, and they resolved the issue immediately.

We previously used EMC Avamar. The reason that we switched was cost, maintenance, and customer support.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

We have installed three Rubrik devices so far. The setup took only two to three hours at each site. We were immediately able to start backing up after the initial setup.

We used Rubrik for the implementation. They let us know what the requirements were for their product to be successfully installed and implemented. We filled out a worksheet with all the configuration settings. The tech came onsite, and it was done in two to three hours.

To be determined.

The cost was less than our previous provider, and this is a much better product.

We looked into EMC's newest product, Veeam, and Cohesity.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a product that offers backups and DR capabilities, which is easy to use, look no further than Rubrik. I am very satisfied.

it_user815694
Paralegal at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
User
It brought all of our backups under a single pane of glass and made recovery extremely simple

• "Rubrik has brought all of our backups under a single pane of glass and made recovery extremely simple."
  • "In the event of any issues or questions, the support is top-notch. We rarely need to use support, but when they are needed, they are always quick to respond and very knowledgeable."
  • "It is not Windows Cluster-Aware at the moment or Exchange DAG-Aware. If they add support for these particular use cases, it would be even better."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup and recovery of VMware servers, physical Windows servers, SQL Databases, and Microsoft Exchange.

How has it helped my organization?

Our previous backup solution was slow, unreliable, and difficult to manage. Rubrik has brought all of our backups under a single pane of glass and made recovery extremely simple.

What is most valuable?

Instant Recovery of VMs: We had a case where a SQL server had been rendered unusable. Rubrik had us back up and running in seconds.

Less than one year.

In the event of any issues or questions, the support is top-notch. We rarely need to use support, but when they are needed, they are always quick to respond and very knowledgeable.

We used Backup Exec and Veeam. We made the switch as we found Backup Exec was slow, unreliable, and difficult to manage. Having two solutions was also not ideal, and Rubrik met our needs perfectly.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

Rubrik is at the pricier end of the market, but the setup and implementation are so simple that it just works.

We looked at Veeam with ExaGrid and Arcserve.

it_user865374
Network Engineer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
User
The process to manage backup and recovery is painless with this tool

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is easy backup and recovery for multiple servers and workstations. It also backups NAS, SQL Servers, and Nutanix.

How has it helped my organization?

Rubrik has made the process to manage backup and recovery painless. This frees up more time to work on other projects.

What is most valuable?

The quick, easy backups and fast restore work great. I also enjoy support calls and the easy updates to the software.

What needs improvement?

No areas need to be updated at this time. The addition features that I would like are a way to set monthly backups on a certain date and time. Also, I would like for unmanaged backups to be able to be saved in a separate policy.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

No areas need to be updated at this time.

Systems Administrator at Saint Tammany Parish Hospital

What is our primary use case?

Rubrik is being used at my organization for the backups of virtual and physical servers enterprise-wide. I no longer feel the need to babysit and monitor all of the backup jobs in the backup system. It simply works when it is supposed to, at all times. Live recovery is near instant and it handles all mounts through the appliance for rapid recovery. Spinning up test SQL servers from mounts are also great for our development team.

How has it helped my organization?

Management is so simple that anyone can check the backups and do restores when necessary.

What is most valuable?

Instant recovery because it takes about 10 seconds to restore the VM from backup to production, and also mounts from point in time.

What needs improvement?

It needs more…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It needs more storage array integration options and an easier restore for files that download using a browser.

Rubrik is very simple to implement and setup.

Frederic Lhoest
Senior Technology Architect at PCCW GLOBAL
Easy, no need to worry about managing backup jobs, all based on SLAs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is vCenter and Nutanix AHV backups. We are in an international environment which does not provide any backup window, so the SLA way of doing things is amazing.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy, no need to worry about managing backup jobs. All based on SLAs. Easy to run and learn. Nice interface. API driver and reporting included.

What is most valuable?

Adaptative backup and SLAs. They simply allow you to tell a machine to backup without taking care of the backup window. This is a real improvement.

What needs improvement?

It is already very well furnished, but live mounts for Nutanix AHV would be amazing. From what I understand, however, this will not be soon.

Still…

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is vCenter and Nutanix AHV backups.

How has it helped my organization?

• Easy, no need to worry about managing backup jobs.
  • All based on SLAs.
  • Easy to run and learn.
  • Nice interface.
  • API driver and reporting included.

Katelyn Eubanks
Information Security Administrator at City of Sioux Falls
It has a good interface which is simple to navigate and utilize

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for Rubrik in our environment is data backup and recovery. Also, Rubrik has a good interface which is simple to navigate and utilize.

How has it helped my organization?

Rubrik has improved our organization by minimizing downtime (in case of an incident was to occur). It also has quick backups helping us to stay current.

What is most valuable?

The best feature on Rubrik is the interface, as it is easy to use and navigate the program.

What needs improvement?

For Rubrik, though it does a great job, it needs to keep innovating to stay relevant in the data management field.

Infrastructure Services Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

Replaces legacy tapes and disk backups which are unreliable, expensive, and space consuming.

How has it helped my organization?

It has the ability to test DR in a controlled, inexpensive way and to restore between environments.

What is most valuable?

CloudOut, because only blocks are pushed after compression and deduplication, not raw sizing which is often a flaw with storage products.

What needs improvement?

Better integration for complex NAS structures having to mount at root adds time and workload to the process of NDMP.

Head of IT Infrastructure at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Drives the back-end through a powerful, well-documented API

• "Drives the back-end through a powerful, well-documented API."
  • "It has a ​single pane of glass interface."
  • "When errors do occur, it can be a somewhat painful process to get to the bottom of issues."

What is our primary use case?

Rubrik was purchased to replace our aging backup solution. Providing us an 'all-in-one' unit to manage backup, DR, and BC.

How has it helped my organization?

Newly onboarded and very impressed. Removes all the headaches of a traditional three-tier backup solution. A little bit of fine tuning needed, but what product does not.

What is most valuable?

• Single pane of glass interface
  • Drives the back-end through a powerful, well-documented API.

What needs improvement?

Error/fault reporting. When errors do occur, it can be a somewhat painful process to get to the bottom of issues. On the plus side, the support channel is fantastic. This means if you can't find out why, they will and quickly.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Five star rating: Calls are picked up and managed through constant communication to ensure a speedy resolution.

HPE Backup Servers, Dell EMC Data Domain, and Veeam.

Whilst this solution was effective, it took considerable management to keep it all working. Rubrik's all-in-one approach removed all the complexity.

Easy install/setup - Literally an hour from the box arriving to ingesting the first data.

Vendor (fantastic knowledge and service) and in-house implementation.

Rubrik is an all inclusive price. No additional implementation costs or licencing.

Yes. Like for like replacement, with consideration of Veeam, Arcserve, Dell EMC Data Domain, NetApp AltaVault, etc.

Burak Ustun, M.S.
Senior Engineer, System & Networking with 1,001-5,000 employees
The solution is scalable to multiple petabytes

What is our primary use case?

We are doing a business with Rubrik. I am responsible for implementing the solution to our customers. Even though I am not trained for implementing, it is easy to use and easy to learn. We also get backups for our own environment.

How has it helped my organization?

We had some VMware issue as VMware did some changes on the AHCI drivers. Rubrik saved our environment those times.

What is most valuable?

Instant recovery Live mount

What needs improvement?

The open source database needs to be supported.

There are no issues with the stability.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Instant recovery
  • Live mount

What needs improvement?

The open source database needs to be supported.

There are no issues with the stability.

The solution is scalable to multiple petabytes. Since we do not have that much data, the one which we are using is enough.

10 out of 10.

I used to use Veeam.

The initial setup was straightforward. There is a bootstrap script, which does all the IP address initialization. for all the metadata disk preparation and service openings.

We did the implementation by ourselves because the deployment and using it is straightforward.

I cannot provide that information.

The setup cost is a bit high, but the solution is an all-in-one solution. There is no licensing in terms of capacity. The TCO is lower if you buy it for two or three years.

We used Veeam before.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a distributor company in Turkey. I am responsible from the Technical team. I have extensive knowledge on Hyperconverged products.
Systems Engineer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Their support is always available and their response times are quick
Excellent company to work with as they have strong pre-sales and engineering knowledge. Their support is always available and their response times are quick. The product is as good as advertised and totally changes the way enterprise businesses do data protection. Pros:  Easy implementation whether using their physical appliance or Edge VMs that can be deployed at smaller sites. It works with VMware and Hyper-V without agent installation. If you have physical servers or non-supported hypervisors (looking at you OVM), you can install the Rubrik Backup Service and create filesets and SLA to backup your data. Cons: With multiple Rubrik clusters setup in an environment, it becomes painfully obvious that this product needs a central management console. With no single pane of…

Pros:

• Easy implementation whether using their physical appliance or Edge VMs that can be deployed at smaller sites.
  • It works with VMware and Hyper-V without agent installation.
  • If you have physical servers or non-supported hypervisors (looking at you OVM), you can install the Rubrik Backup Service and create filesets and SLA to backup your data.

Cons:

• With multiple Rubrik clusters setup in an environment, it becomes painfully obvious that this product needs a central management console. With no single pane of glass, it is causing headaches trying to maintain dozens of Rubrik installations across a big corporate environment.
  • Missing features, such as role-based access with granular permission sets, are really hurting the product. This might be a non-issue with a smaller IT department, but for larger teams, the ability to be specific on permissions for Rubrik appliances is badly needed.
Sr. Systems Engineer at a tech services company
Deployment was quick, easy, and straightforward

• "Intelligent agent technology."
  • "There are some corner cases where the Rubrik Connector (Agent) still doesn't work for our clients."

How has it helped my organization?

Rubrik has allowed our Managed Backup product to be elevated from a home-brewed concoction of free backup products wrapped in our special "glue" to a modern, intelligent, single-pane-of-glass orchestration engine. We are no longer embarrassed to explain how our backup product works!

What is most valuable?

• Near-zero RTO for VMs
  • API-first architecture
  • Intelligent agent technology

What needs improvement?

There are some corner cases where the Rubrik Connector (Agent) still doesn't work for our clients, but Rubrik Engineering listens to our feedback and has been delivering the features that we have been asking for over the last year, so we are confident that they will knock those out soon, as well.

Early on there was an issue with our special "flavor" that caused some instability with the Rubrik nodes, but that was resolved within a couple of months by their engineering team.

No, our biggest Rubrik cluster is 10 briks/20 nodes and we're still growing that pool.

Very good, almost a 10 out of 10. They are among the very best vendors we've worked with.

Very good, an eight out of 10.

Yes, we previously used a home-brewed solution that didn't have the scalability that we needed.

Straightforward. The deployment was about 20 questions and 20 minutes, and it was done.

In-house team.

Approximately three years.

Yes, we evaluated Bacula Enterprise, Commvault, Veeam, and EMC Avamar/Data Domain.

Systems Engineer
The initial setup was straightforward. The bootstrapping process was right to the point and direct.

• "They have a great PowerShell module and easy mediums to speak to the people who create and enhance them."
  • "The functionality is missing, but they are very receptive to our thoughts and ideas."

How has it helped my organization?

Saved tons of man hours on not having to do constant babysitting.

What is most valuable?

Personally, the scripting portion is my favorite aspect. They have a great PowerShell module and easy mediums to speak to the people who create and enhance them.

What needs improvement?

We ran into a few issues with physical Briks and EDGE Appliances crashing, but they were all resolved by either settings, tweaks, or hotfixes.

No issues with scalability. We have added two Briks to our environment with success.

A 10 out of 10.

A 10 out of 10.

We used a combination of Veeam and Micro Focus Data Protector (was HPDP). The scalability of those two products was lacking, and it took a lot of man hours to babysit the products.

In-house.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.

We had a PoC between Veeam/HPDP, Cohesity, and Rubrik. Rubrik won out.

Account Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple, straightforward, and able to see 50% hard savings

• "One platform for instant recovery."
  • "Rubrik can only leverage cloud storage for archiving and has no cloud failover."

How has it helped my organization?

Rubrik backup is more than twice as fast as our previous solution. Also, its deduplication rate is significantly better.

What is most valuable?

• One platform for instant recovery
  • Search
  • Development
  • Cloud

What needs improvement?

Rubrik can only leverage cloud storage for archiving and has no cloud failover.

None to date. It just works.

No. Rubrik is easily scalable when it comes to both capacity and performance.

Excellent and speedy, too.

Yes, Asigra. Switched due to cost, near zero recovery times, and the fact that VMDK restores constantly failed.

Literally racked, powered on, and all done in 30 minutes. I just needed my Vcenter details.

It’s simple, straightforward, and we were able to see 50% hard savings.

Commvault, Arcserve, and Datto.

What other advice do I have?

See past the immaturity of the product. This will improve RPO/RTOs and save you a lot of time and money.

Nathan Monk
Managing Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Rubrik, Your One Stop Shop For Data Management & Peace of Mind

• "The search functionality is second to none as the speed of the search is fast across the whole system and predictive."
  • "If I could take a snapshot from a physical and be able to stand it up as a virtual immediately without the need to rebuild an entire system and restoring files, that would be HUGE."

How has it helped my organization?

There have been many changes to how our organization has been able to approach backup and recovery thanks to Rubrik. We have been able to reduce the time for recovery, which is invaluable because it not only frees up our time to move on to other things, but it truly makes our customers feel that they are important and given “special treatment.” Typically, with the previous solutions we were using, it was owned fully by our engineering team, but we were able to train our admin team to take over all operational aspects of the product in less than two hours via a web conference thanks to the no-nonsense and easy-to-use product.

This has also become our go-to solution for disaster recovery requirements for many of our applications. The great part is we don’t have to build out DR VMs to sit there and do nothing, instead, we can deploy a snapshot from production at the time of need instead. This not only saves the customer money, but it saves on bloat in our virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

First, lets start with what is Rubrik?

Rubrik Cloud Data Management is a single, software fabric that manages all application data in the cloud, at the edge, or on-premises for many use cases, including backup, recovery, archival, analytics, development, and cloud. Rubrik takes the complexity of maintaining and managing your data and enables you to focus on other aspects of the business. The bottomline is if you have Rubrik, you have peace of mind.

It’s hard to pick out a few features to list, but I will start with these:

• Instant recovery: This has dramatically reduced our time to restore from over 20-30 minutes for a server to be recovered and back up and running, to less than 60 seconds. It’s a beautiful thing.
  • The search functionality is second to none as the speed of the search is fast across the whole system and predictive.
  • I also love the fact that I can apply an SLA domain to various areas (direct to VM, folder, cluster, etc.). I currently apply most SLA domains directly to a cluster so that we have a set-it-and-forget-it approach. When a new VM is added to that cluster, we KNOW that it is going to inherit the SLA domain and be backed up.
  • Lastly, Rubrik’s support team is phenomenal. Any time that we have had questions, issues or feature requests, the team responds rapidly and keeps you apprised of the progress without you having to follow-up all the time.

What needs improvement?

We have put in a feature request against their physical agent. Currently, the physical server agent will only back up folder structures and not truly give you the ability to restore to a bare-metal box. Well, we would love to see the physical agent have the ability to essentially P2V machines from the backup. This would be huge!

It would assist in so many areas of our virtualization projects and especially during a DR scenario. If I could take a snapshot from a physical and be able to stand it up as a virtual immediately without the need to rebuild an entire system and restoring files, that would be HUGE. It would also give us the ability to get away from physical hardware, in general, when we go through to clean up older physical boxes that are no longer under service contract or need to be segregated for any reason.

For instance, we have an initiative to get all 2003 physical servers left in our environment to a segregated cluster and we do use P2V to get them, so bypassing the P2V and just restoring a backup would speed that process up tremendously.

I have not encountered any instabilities with the product outside of limitations on the back end with our AD user object size. We have so many users that Rubrik has an issue handling so many objects, so it makes it difficult to use the RBAC features that were just released in the Firefly/3.0 code release. That being said, Rubrik support has been phenomenal working on this issue with the engineering team and we look forward to their solution very soon.

Scalability has been a great process, as we have gone through a few at this point. Rubrik handles everything. They will come onsite, upgrade the units, ensure all is working properly and it typically only takes a couple of hours. That being said, we have deployments in multiple locations and they do not currently have a management hub that allows you to manage multiple clusters from a single place. You have to go cluster to cluster to make changes.

Rubrik’s technical support has been phenomenal! They are extremely quick to respond and 99% of the time, they are able to take care of everything behind the scenes via the Support Tunnel. They not only respond to emails almost instantaneously, they will contact us about potential issues before they happen.

They have been extremely easy to understand on the phone and encourage you to write in, even with simple questions and feature requests. That has been huge, too: feature requests. We have put in numerous feature requests that were coded in amazing time, not that every feature request has come to fruition, but most have been at least put on the roadmap if they made sense globally.

We used many different products before going to Rubrik, including Tivoli and SnapManager, Nutanix Protection Domains, NetBackup, etc. They were all cumbersome and typically a pain to not only set up, but to recover from as well. By switching to Rubrik, we have been able to simplify many aspects of our backup and recovery procedures.

On top of that, we were able to gain back valuable space on our Nutanix clusters, as we were finding in some instances that snapshots were taking up 50% of the available datastores, which we all know, with Nutanix, is NOT cheap. By switching, we were able to gain that space back for VM deployments instead of having to buy additional blocks as the constraint with Nutanix has typically always been the space, not the CPU and memory.

The initial setup was extremely straightforward as Rubrik sends a field engineer out to handle everything. This goes for expansions as well. We had our initial two sites from the PoC stood up in less than two hours per site. The only reason it wasn’t faster was due to how locked down our network is. Other products we stood up at the same time took far longer to set up, and I mean one was two weeks before we could use it.

I would say that the biggest thing to keep in mind about the pricing, as it may be more expensive than other products you are looking at, is keep the operational ease in mind. Most of the other products we looked at would take far more time to manage, train and just in general use! So, when we compared the overall costs, Rubrik was cheaper because the engineering and operational side required FAR LESS dedication. So, all in all, they actually were cheaper than the competition.

We looked at many other products, including our existing solutions and products like Veeam and Cohesity. First off, Rubrik had the upper hand for the initial interest based on this... We have all gone through meetings to vet a new product of interest. During these meetings, you ask questions and get a lot of, “Oh, no one has ever asked that before” or “Let me get back to you on that,” whereas the Rubrik team had an answer for EVERY one of our questions, right then and there. That is a pretty rare thing in and of itself. That was a huge factor but obviously, the simplicity during the demo was a huge eye-catcher.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this product to ANY company who is concerned about their backup and recovery processes as well as DR scenarios. This product will simplify your life beyond belief. Not only that, you will be able to give the recovery process over to anyone, even if they don’t have a background in backup and recovery solutions.

The fact that the product is so well thought out in its simplicity for end users, makes it easy to worry less about whether or not it’s doing its job. You will have much higher confidence that you will actually be able to recover the system you are working with, instead of, “I hope it’s been backed up properly.” It will change the way you view your data, especially if you are looking for an effective and simple way to handle disaster recovery.

I have given this product a perfect rating for multiple reasons. The simplicity and ease of use are hands down better than any product we compared during the same PoC period. We have never had an issue with our system on the software or hardware side, other than an issue with the amount of objects their back end will handle for AD user authentication.

Director and Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Features include: Global (Google Like) Search, Instant Mount, Replication and Cloud Archive.

What is most valuable?

Global (Google Like) Search - This allows us to instantly search for servers and files whether they are hosted on the local Rubrik appliance, replicated to another Rubrik appliance or in the long-term storage tier.

Instant Mount - This provides us with the ability to perform instant restores within seconds and whats best is it can be scripted. Restores enable fast invocation of DR, DR testing and Test/Dev.

Replication - Replicate to another brik to enable DRaaS. This is excellent for our customers as it removes the need for a secondary DR data centre and all the associated costs such as hardware, connectivity, management and licensing.

Cloud Archive (Cloudian, S3, NFS) - This long-term storage tier ensures unlimited data retention can be achieved without the need for tape. This scale-out architecture keeps costs low and allows geographical separate for DR/compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

Speed of deployment - Setup takes 30 minutes then configuration is performed through a simple UI.

Automation - Create Local SLA domains and automate ongoing protection.

Cost reduction - Automation, scale-out architecture, central monitoring and BaaS/DRaaS in one solution all help to reduce TCO.

What needs improvement?

Since my last report we now have physical support for Linux and Windows. Hyper-V is coming very soon. We are confident by the end of 2017 that Rubrik won't have any gaps in their support matrix compared to their competition.

Over 1 year. The solution is already excellent and is improving rapidly. Rubrik are eating up the competitors customer base.

No. Its easy and quick.

No. Reliability is very good with Rubrik mainly due to the serious investment in the core technology.

No. Add a brik and scale indefinitely. Scale-out to the cloud provides no fork lift upgrades and unlimited data retention.

10/10. Never seen support like it.

The best of the best. Rubrik's investment in quality staff really shows.

Asigra. Old tech, dated code, poor with virtual environments. Zerto, great product for DR but only works on virtual and you can't keep history (journal) for long.

Easy. Plug and play.

We are a 100% Rubrik centric partner. We provide BaaS and DRaaS for enterprises worldwide with Capex and Opex budgets.

It converges backup and DR into one product so is good value for money. If you need to pay for this on a monthly model then this is achievable through Assured Data Protection.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: RUBRIK MSP - Operating through channel and direct
Director Data Center Operations at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
You can set up policies by resource pools, clusters, and folders. The array can support high workloads.

What is most valuable?

It has a quick setup and then it is hands-off. It’s a backup product, and you want to set it up and forget about it. For the VMware side, you can set up policies by resource pools, clusters, and folders. This helps with the "set up and forget" process. They have added physical servers (Windows and Linux), plus SQL. This is a huge plus as everything can be managed under one policy.

How has it helped my organization?

VM backups are common and there are a lot of vendors. The thing that sets Rubrik apart is the instant recovery feature. While other vendors have this, the storage is on you. In my case, this storage was always on a cheap disk. With Rubrik, you get an array that can support high workloads until you have a main window from which you can migrate the VM back to production storage.

Replication is also great. With one click of a button, you can replicate between Rubrik devices and public cloud storage.

What needs improvement?

The reporting can be vague, especially when something is failing. AD integration is cumbersome. For highly compliant environments, Rubrik does not patch the IPMI firmware on a regular basis. Be aware that you should design the roll-out with this in mind. Otherwise, your security teams will be calling about vulnerabilities that they can reach.

We have used this solution for over two years.

There have not been any stability issues.

There have not been any scalability issues. This is one of the pluses and a driver for buying Rubrik. If you need backups to run faster, or if you need more storage, you just add another node or Brik.

The technical support is good. They will escalate quickly if it is needed.

We had other solutions before this one. We used Veeam and VMware backups. We left Veeam due to storage management. VMware backups were not as feature rich as Veeam or Rubrik.

The installation is straightforward. You fill out the sheet with names and IPs, and Rubrik sets it all up. However, it does use a lot of network ports, at least one 10-gigabit and one 1-gigabit port per node. That adds up quickly with multiple Briks that can have four nodes each.

Make sure you create different networks and segmentation. The IPMI 1-gigabit networks need to be locked down and not allow other networks to be routed to them.

Understand what you really need to backup. Do you need a backup, or can you use storage snaps? Run their PoC trial. It will give you a good idea of what your compression will look like and it will allow you to estimate the size you need.

We used Veeam and VMware before. We also looked at Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

Understand what you want to backup. Rubrik makes it very easy to go in and back up everything, but that might not be in your budget.

Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
Fast recovery is managed by attaching a disk where the backup is located.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is fast recovery from the backup. Fast recovery is managed by attaching a disk where the backup is located. It's immediately available to the customer who doesn't need to wait for the system to recover the BKP from an archive.

How has it helped my organization?

The traditional backup solutions didn't allow us to give a prompt answer to customers who needed recovery. Plus, there were too many human resources involved for management.

What needs improvement?

Some of the areas that need improvement are the user GUI (multi-tenancy) and the promised Rubrik Edge solution, which will allow customers to back up their physical devices in our cloud. About the GUI, the interface for our customers is not available at the moment in a multi-tenant environment.

I have used this solution for around ten months.

We encountered an anomaly in freeing up space after archiving but the resolution from support has been satisfactory and fast.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. This is the best scalable backup device that we found in the market.

The level of technical support is very high in terms of the availability, skills and low time to solve issues.

Previously, we have used Commvault. It was a nice solution and also effective in deduplication. However, the license renewal costs were similar to 1 box of Rubrik.

We have also used Acronis, but it's not an enterprise-class product and the several issues that we encountered have not been solved by their support. We still use it because of the customer interface and BaaS.

It's been fast. It took about one hour and was installed for free by a Rubrik field engineer. It is important to note that they have no offices in Italy, so they came from Netherlands for installation.

Licensing is included in the HW. Pricing is adequate for CSP; however, it might be a bit too high for small companies.

We evaluated other traditional SW products; more or less, we looked at all of them.

What other advice do I have?

If a fast recovery and scalability are critical points, then this is the best choice.

It is important to note that it's an HW solution, so all the CPU, RAM and other resources are completely dedicated to backup.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We became partner a few months ago.
IT Director with 51-200 employees
The r300 Series​ is a Converged Data Management appliance that provides automated backup, instant recovery, unlimited replication, and data archival at infinite scale.
Originally posted at https://vinfrastructure.it/2016/01/rubrik-reinvent-the-backup/ Some months Rubrik announced the release of version 2.0 of Rubrik Converged Data Management to deliver complete data protection and rich data services at a global scale (see also my previous post). The idea is quite simple but disruptive: reinvent the backup models in order to eliminate backup software by integrating data protection, instant recovery, and DevOps infrastructure into a single scale-out product! Data protection is usually something complex, or at least with several components: Rubrik can remove all of them: An simple move to converged, scale-out and appliance based architecture: The idea is similar to Cohesity approach…

Rubrik can remove all of them:

An simple move to converged, scale-out and appliance based architecture:

The idea is similar to Cohesity approach (for example) but Rubrik stats with the data protection in mind as a first scope of their solution, so several features (in this area) are better developed (yet). It’s interesting see also people from Symantec, Data Domain, Veritas in the investors list.

During the last IT Press Tour #17 I’ve got the opportunity to learn more about this solution, directly the board of Rubrik: Bipul Sinha (CEO), Arvind Jain, Arvind Nithrakashyap. For the technical presentation there was also Chris Wahl.

As written the solution is (physical) appliance based, using the model of Data Domain (that has change the tradition backup infrastructure), but using a “Web-Scale” model typical of hyper-converged product, with a grow as you go approach in 2U increments. And with a really easy setup and configuration: it can be up and running in 15 minutes!
One of the best quote is: “it looks simple because we make it simple”, Bipul Sinha. It’s really simple to use and with a fast interface.

The r300 Series is a Converged Data Management appliance that provides automated backup, instant recovery, unlimited replication, and data archival at infinite scale.

The Rubrik cluster should start from three appliances, each of them can have 12x4TB HDD or 12x8TB HDD, plus 4x400GB SSD, and can grow as you need. Deduplication is cluster-wide to improve space usage.

Actually it support VMware vSphere 5.1, 5.5 or 6.0 and you have only to point to a vCenter Server and use policy based rules (called SLA Domains) to protect your VMs. At this time only VMware platform is supported, but the entire architecture is platform agnostic, so could be possible see new virtualization platform supported in the future.
In order to provide application consistency, Rubrik push a VSS provider inside each VMs.

As show in the previous picture it’s possible replicate or simple increase the retention with an external object storage: S3 is supported, but for on-prem infrastructure (if needed) could be used S3 (for example with Scality) or Swift. Also NFS could be used for on-prem long term retention.

For site replication more Rubrik appliance could be used, both for DR purpose or Dev/Test cases.

And what about the data services, like the ability to have application-level recovery? Actually this is not included or integrated and it’s far from other products (like Veeam). Rubrik has a partnership with Kroll on Track to provide this services, but I think that simplicity and convergence mean also have those kind of services inside the solution itself and I hope to see something in the next releases.

it_user240054
Technical Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Originally posted http://theithollow.com/2015/06/29/a-new-standard-for-backups-rubrik/ It’s pretty weird to get excited about backups, but I’ve found myself thinking how cool the new technology that Rubrik‘s designing. If you haven’t heard of these guys yet, you will. They presented at Virtualization Field Day 5 in Boston and had some new announcements that will blow your socks right off your feet. All travel expenses and incidentals were paid for by Gestalt IT to attend Virtualization Field Day 5. This was the only compensation given and did not influence the content of this article. The first of these announcements really had nothing to do with technology, but rather with people. Rubrik announced to the world that my good friend Chris Wahl was joining their…

The first of these announcements really had nothing to do with technology, but rather with people. Rubrik announced to the world that my good friend Chris Wahl was joining their team as Technical Evangelist. Thats a pretty big “get” for Rubrik, signing a top 10 Virtualization blogger and two times over VCDX to their team. I think it also lends some credence to their legitimacy, as I don’t suspect Mr. Wahl would have joined a team that didn’t already have something going for it.

Why is Rubrik Cool?

The Rubrik CEO Bipul Sinha explained to us that the main objective of Rubrik was to make backups useful and easy to manage. His example was using Apple’s Time Machine technology. How come my laptop backup is so easy to manage, but a corporate server backup is so difficult. Obviously servers are backed up more often with more stringent SLA etc, but his point was well received. It should be easy to do because no one wants to spend their time managing backups.

Rubrik’s model uses a hardware appliance with a scale out architecture similar to Nutanix. (This shouldn’t be a coincidence since Bipul is a founding investor in Nutanix) Rubrik’s appliance is sold as a brick (chassis) with 4 nodes (servers) in it. Once the appliance is racked, cabled and IP’d the next step is to connect it to your vCenter server(s). The Rubrik software scans the vCenter for a list of virtual machines and from there, you can select VMs to backup to the Rubrik appliance. Rubrik’s team is touting this process that only takes 15 minutes to get up and running.

Note: right now this is a 1.0 product and only supports VMware, but the roadmap is to support Hyper-V and Physical machines as well. It is not meant to be only for VMware environments for ever.

Backup Process

The process of backing up virtual machines to the Rubrik device consists of selecting a virtual machine and selecting a SLA. There are some default SLAs that come with the appliance but the backup admin is allowed to create as many as he/she needs in order to meet the organizations retention periods and backup windows.

Once the backups start, the virtual machine is snapshotted and the bits are shipped over to the Rubrik appliance where they are inline deduplicated and stored on flash temporarily. Depending on the SLA, these backups will be stored on disk as well as possibly shipped off to an S3 storage endpoint, most likely Amazon S3. This is neat right? How many times have you heard corporations state that they want to keep all data for seven years right up until they hear how much storage they are going to need to buy to accomplish that? Now Rubrik can keep the most recently backed up information locally on disk but ship off some of the bits to a cloud storage device.

Recovery Process

OK, the backup process is pretty slick. Pick a VM and a policy and let Rubrik do its thing. But everyone knows that the backup is only as good as the recovery process. Rubrik’s recovery model is great! From the Rubrik HTML5 web portal, pick the VM and a backup date to restore, or for a single file restore pick the vm, the file and the file date to restore. Simple process and the search process is VERY fast. This is because all of the backup metadata is stored on the Rubrik flash drives for quick recalls.

Now that we’ve found the files, we can perform either a recovery or an instant mount. The recovery process will power down the existing virtual machine and recover the backup in its place. Nothing new there, but if we need a recovery to take place faster, we can mount the backup directly on the Rubrik flash tier and mount it to vCenter over an NFS mount point.

Summary

I don’t know what these appliances are going to cost, but Bipul assured us all that they won’t disappoint. With an easy backup process, simple and fast recovery process, ability to scale out and still keep a single deduplication domain and a fast storage appliance, all I can think of to say is to “shut up and take my money.” We’ll see how this product does on the market , but I have a feeling that this is going to be the new gold standard for backup solutions.