Stephen Moreau
Managing Director at Dataway
Reseller
Easy to manage and deploy and covers many use cases

• "The product is extremely easy to manage after it is implemented."
  • "The solution isn't the cheapest option. However, you are getting a quality product."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller, our clients' use cases are quite broad but mainly focussed on SMB with multiple locations. A main office and satellite branches. This is where the cloud controller comes into its own.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to deploy.

The product is extremely easy to manage after it is implemented.

Ruckus is very innovative as a company and they currently drive improvements to the WiFi standards themselves. Their range of products is broad. It covers all the requirements I have, which aren't as broad as the whole market. We don't do many outdoor installations, for example, however, they cover outdoor as well as point to point and they seem to work well.

What needs improvement?

Whilst vendors are always working to improve the features of their products and make them more attractive than the competition, I cannot identify any core features which are missing. Of course, today the product offers all kinds of features, many more than our specific requirements demand.

The solution isn't the cheapest option on the market. However, you are getting a quality product. Cheap is not always best. Cheap can come back and bite you.

We have sold Ruckus wireless for the past ten years at this point. It's been quite a while, way before they went public. They have been bought and sold a couple of times in recent years but the quality remains. They have fantastic people and the product is exemplary.

When the new cloud controller came out it was functional but lacked some of the finesse of other solutions. That did not matter as much as it was an excellent product from an AP perspective. The refinements in the interface have come and Ruckus continue to innovate. I prefer a good AP over a fancy interface any day.

The solution is very easy to scale. Once you have the cloud configured and set up, you can post a single access point to remote location. Plug it in and off you go or you can pre-provision hundreds of them in advance for a mass deployment.

If there is an issue, the support is very responsive. Very helpful, never failed me in ten years.

We have used other solutions in the past. Occasionally, we do installations for clients that go against our advice and then often we have issues, however, with Ruckus, this is never the case. Never, in all the years.

The initial setup isn't complex. It's pretty straightforward.

Obviously, you have to mount access points and in the right locations. You've got to screw holes in the wall and stick it to the wall or ceiling or whatever. Once the physical installation is done and it's connected to the network/internet, which, again, is part of any kind of hardware deployments. It takes about 20 minutes to deploy a new access point from scratch.

Obviously, there's a cost factor. It's not the lowest cost solution, however, from an engineering standpoint, which is what we're more interested in, you have to ask does it work? Does it work well? The answer is yes and yes.

We continually monitor the competition. In enterprise WiFi there are about 4 or 5 contenders from my point of view. In the past Ruckus did not have a cloud management solution and that was an issue. Now it's not an issue.

What other advice do I have?

We are an authorised reseller of the product.

The reason that we sell Ruckus Wireless is that, in my opinion, it's the best-engineered hardware solution. Ruckus are innovative and define many standards in wireless technology, they apply those standards to their products and their products work very well.

We stripped away all the marketing blurb that various companies do when they're jockeying for position. The proof is in the deployment, how happy the clients are, how easy it is to deploy, and how easy it is to manage afterwards.

This solution has one of the easiest deployments. Obviously, whether I recommend it or not depends on my clients' requirements, however, I would wholeheartedly recommend Ruckus over other solutions. Having had firsthand experience of Ruckus, as well as other solutions, we do prefer it.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten... I don't do ten!

Private Cloud
YS
Lead Presales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable with good performance and connectivity

• "The solution has many innovative features."
  • "The pricing needs to be more clear and licensing could be less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for wireless connectivity.

What is most valuable?

The solution has many innovative features.

The stability is good.

We find the implementation process simple and straightforward.

The performance and connectivity are good.

What needs improvement?

Technical support has been really bad since Ruckus was acquired by another company.

The pricing needs to be more clear and licensing could be less expensive.

We've been using the solution for more than five years. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. There are no issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have more than ten customers on Ruckus currently.

Since Ruckus was acquired, I have heard that support is not as good. Even as integrators, we couldn't get the support we needed. Therefore, we've started to move away from this product.

We've worked with Cisco, Aruba, and Huawei as well. We have system integrators for all these three solutions. We also have used it in our offices.

As integrators, we have to know how to install it, and about configuration, as well as how to handle portal access and everything. We have to install it in our own organization first before putting it in the customer space. That's why we have the capabilities to implement it and it's not too hard for us.

It was a straightforward installation. Actually, other than Ruckus, all other installations are a little bit tricky. Ruckus was really good when I installed it five years back. Recently, if you go for Cisco or even Aruba and Huawei, they have some tricky configurations. With a controller, there is a different configuration. If you wanted to use it as a standalone solution, there is a different configuration as well.

Specifically, Cisco is very bad when it comes to installations. It can take three to seven days to sort out issues, to convert to emails, and to put in a support request, then they will help and everything. Though you will get good support from Cisco support, the process is not good. Aruba is definitely good. Ruckus is the easiest.

We have 4% of our team dedicated to Wi-Fi and Network. We that three engineers, that include me, plus a manager.

As implementors, we are able to help our clients with the initial setup.

After all of the acquisitions and mergers, the pricing has been a bit of a mess. They need to work to fix it.

There are no subscription fees for Ruckus.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

Laptops and phones, all kinds of wireless devices, are at every office these days. Having a Wi-Fi network is really important. You need it as well to connect to meetings and IoT solutions.

Due to evolving technologies in Wi-Fi, we are now getting more than one GBPS throughput. Even on the LAN, for accessing the applications, having something that can increase or guarantee connectivity is crucial.

Ruckus, as a company, offers an absolute good product. The features they came up with weren't even offered by Cisco. The performance that we were getting made it so that we have replaced Cisco in a number of use cases. However, once support dropped off, we started to shift to Huawei and back to Cisco. We also occasionally work with Aruba.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's the best solution on the market.

However, due to the issues surrounding support, I would not necessarily recommend Ruckus. I'd likely recommend Aruba, which is also quite good. Aruba has very good support. They have very good access points and different models with different licenses. Overall, it is really good.

Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GL
Information Technology Consultant at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Increases data rates and avoids interference

• "I haven't heard any complaints about the WiFi equipment at all causing problems."
  • "We've had issues with the ISP, not enough bandwidth."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a small school. In fact, I've worked with two separate schools with different administrations and they both had Ruckus — they both had the same equipment. There's probably one controller and maybe six, seven, eight access points.

We're running teacher PCs, might be about ten PCs on there, and then a bunch of student Chromebooks. We weren't one-to-one at the one school — they had carts they wheeled around. They might have had maybe 40 of them, but now they're one-to-one and they probably have a couple of hundred users — 200 to 300 users on there. The other school's been one-to-one, but it's a smaller school. They probably have a couple of hundred computers on the whole network — Chromebooks. That school's pretty much all Chromebooks.

I have been using this solution for five years.

I haven't heard any complaints about the WiFi equipment at all causing problems. We've had issues with the ISP, not enough bandwidth. At one place, the firewall equipment failed us, but with Ruckus, no complaints on the controllers. It's just been a solid performer for us.

I have very limited experience with support because the vendor takes care of all of that. They're kind of pricey, especially when you look at Ubiquiti.

Interestingly enough, the vendor who sold us Ruckus is now quoting an upgrade and he's no longer quoting Ruckus, he's going with Ubiquiti. I asked them why they did that, he said "Oh, it's a better value." Maybe Ruckus dropped them and now they're representing Ubiquiti. They have some staff turnover, so we keep seeing new people. And that's the local vendor. I haven't dealt with Ruckus directly at all, so I don't know what the company would provide.

I logged into the system to look at it. That was a number of years ago, so my memory is vague. The only thing I really changed when I looked at it was to set up a separate sub-network for the students. They had a guest network already set up and they already had the staff networks. I set up a student WiFi network to segregate them from the staff.

I'm not the person who really configures them, our vendor did all that. When they first went in, I took a look at the configuration, but I haven't really touched them since then. You can configure them and just leave them to do their thing.

I went in once and set up a guest network — it was pretty straightforward. I didn't even have to look at the manual to do it.

The vendor is responsible for all maintenance-related issues.

With Ubiquiti, there's no annual cost to keep the software upgraded, whereas with Ruckus, you have to pay an annual fee or three-year fee. That makes it a little more pricey.

Ubiquiti is quite a bit cheaper, just on the upfront costs than the Ruckus equipment. I mean the Ubiquiti quote we got, we're not only doing the access points, but we're also doing our switches. If one person is doing Ubiquiti switches and Ubiquiti access points, another vendor's doing Ruckus equipment. We're seeing half the cost with the Ubiquiti equipment. I worked for Ubiquiti on a very small installation where cost was at a premium and they needed to get in as cheap as possible. It worked for them. It was a church. Dropped in about four access points and they were happy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. The cost is the only thing dragging them down.

EmilioOgando
Integration Manager at Newcom
MSP
Requires less equipment, offers good pricing and is very stable

• "The product has good technical support and offers excellent documentation."
  • "The solution needs to have some sort of security offering, like a firewall, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for internal use for deployments.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't have specific metrics that could describe who this solution has improved how the company operates. It just offers better connections for the users.

What is most valuable?

The product does a very good job of covering specific areas using less equipment than other providers.

The solution offers better coverage. It offers a better footprint in order to connect with the user.

The possibility to deploy the solution and the configuration of all the equipment through the console makes everything very easy.

The product has good technical support and offers excellent documentation.

What needs improvement?

In both cases in terms of the latest deployments we initiated, we implemented a new version, which means that in both cases the client deployed a new Wi-Fi infrastructure. As we deployed the solution, it meant that the users had to connect to the network via a patch cord.

The solution needs to have some sort of security offering, like a firewall, for example. Fortinet offers access to security via Wi-Fi controls and a management console. Ruckus does not do this.

I've been using the solution for 20 years. It's been a good two decades of usage. In just the last six months, we've implemented it for two clients.

The stability of the solution is excellent. There aren't issues with glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs. It's completely reliable.

The scalability is very, very good. We have no issues expanding as we need to. It's excellent.

We typically work with medium-sized Argentinian companies. In one of the implementations we handled in the past year, the client already wants to increase the coverage of the Wi-Fi network for the next year.

In general, we get good technical support from Ruckus. It's excellent service. In all the cases where we have reported some problems, we receive the answer about how to resolve the problem very quickly. They are extremely responsive and very knowledgeable. We've very happy with their services.

The initial implementation was easy. We had already deployed Ruckus for the client previously, and we were just doing another new deployment. It was very straightforward.

The deployment took about a month due to the fact that we needed the client to deploy the cable network. They had to finish the network before we could really finish our portion of the implementation. In another deployment, for a different client, it only took us two weeks.

The solution is less expensive than, for example, Fortinet, and requires less equipment.

In the first implementation, we did recently, the client decided to implement the Ruckus without any comparison with other solutions.

In the second implementation, we had an evaluation done and we looked at Fortinet. The client decided to implement Ruckus over Fortinet. The decision was mainly based on the different pricing between the two options and the need for access points with Ruckus. With Ruckus, we needed fewer appliances in order to bring the same coverage that Fortinet offered, for example.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner with Ruckus.

In both of the most recent deployments, we have used the Access Point R320.

Ruckus as a brand is pretty new to the Argentinian market, and therefore, we need to introduce our clients to their offering. We really need to show off the benefits of going with Ruckus over, for example, Fortinet, which is more well known.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

FI
Project Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good coverage and durability, helpful training, and good support

• "The most valuable features are the coverage and durability."
  • "I would like to see better mapping capability because it can be really difficult, especially if you are deploying on a remote island."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Ruckus Wireless is one of the products that we implement to assist our customers with providing Wi-Fi services.

Our customers are primarily in the hospitality industry, such as resorts. This solution allows them to provide Wi-Fi services to their staff and guests.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the coverage and durability.

The best thing about Ruckus is support.

The training is very helpful and very good.

The user interface for the controller is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The failure spots need to be improved, as sometimes I have trouble reaching them.

We have been working with Ruckus for more than six years, and with the wireless solution for about four years.

We have had no issues with malfunctions or coverage with the access points. However, every two or three months we have periods with downtime because of internet outages or power outages on remote islands. While this is a break in service, it is not caused by a failure on the part of Ruckus.

Scaling this product is pretty straightforward. On one of the island resorts that we deployed on, they have 120 villas in addition to the staff accommodations. In total, there are more than a thousand people in the resort.

In addition to the resort, we supply wireless coverage to the rest of the island. This brings the total number of users to more than 3,000.

Technical support from Ruckus is very good. We don't have to contact them very often because there are no major issues with the access points. When we last contacted them, they responded and resolved our issue within 12 hours.

I have experience with similar solutions from different vendors, such as Aruba. In particular with Aruba, I have had huge problems with coverage. We have had other difficulties with their solutions, as well. With Ruckus, on the other hand, it is a really robust technology and the coverage it provides is helpful during deployment. In general, it is a much better solution than Aruba.

For me, the initial setup is really straightforward. Some people, however, find it a little bit tough. The controller is a little bit difficult to work with until you have some experience.

Our in-house team handles implementation and deployment for our customers, as well as the maintenance.

For the physical installation, including pulling cables and termination, we use two people. This is more than enough for 300 access points. For the initial setup and configuration, we have another two people, bringing the total size of the deployment team to four people.

As an example, for one resort island, the total deployment took about two months. The installation and configuration can be completed within one night, once all of the hardware is in place.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that it is a good product, with good support, it is easy to set up, and the coverage is good. In a small to medium-sized business, you may not even need training to set up the controller.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

JO
IT Project Manager at SITWIFI
Outstanding when operating in a high-density environment

• "Performance-wise, it's great."
  • "It would be nice if there was a way to compare access points and hardware so you can always get the same level of performance."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use this solution for hotel and restaurant management, stadium management, and other forms of retail — typically for large environments. Still, for clients that don't have the resources for this type of hardware, we are looking for a cheaper solution or another enterprise-level access point.

Our clients are typically large businesses. They consist of a lot of major hotels; they all require huge deployments. We're talking hundreds, if not thousands of users.

We have access points with EOL (end of life) — actually, they are working very well nowadays. Still, with the new technology, we need to improve these agreements because the new data rates need to be parallel with the new technology. That's the only reason the old access points are working so well.

What is most valuable?

Performance-wise, it's great. The throughput of the speed base and the capacity when it's operating in a high-density environment is outstanding.

What needs improvement?

As an elite Ruckus partner, we get a big discount. That said, the analytics could be improved. Some of our engineers prefer the IQ platform in Extreme. They like the analytics and all of the information that they can validate from its cloud platform.

The platform that we have with version 5.12 has only just begun supporting R320. This makes things a little slow, especially in regard to the cloud menu. The analytics or maybe the kind of information that we can get about it could be better. We should be able to click on an icon for more graphics and less text.

The company I work for has been using Ruckus Wireless for roughly 12 years. Personally, I have been using this solution for six years.

Stability-wise, Ruckus Wireless is great.

Scalability is good. The SmartZone controllers have been working well. We know that they had a manufacturing issue with the first order as they had a lot of problems with the hard disks, but they seem to have resolved that problem. With the cloud, our clients have the capacity for a lot of systems.

We haven't had any issues with the technical support.

Personally, I think the deployment is easy. With Ruckus, there is a lot of documentation included to assist you with the initial setup.

We are the owners of the equipment. We rent out services to our customers. We pay for all of our devices and rent them out. We have contracts from anywhere from 36 months to five years.

Many of our customers also test and evaluate the analytics of Meraki. Analytics is very important to our customers. Ruckus has the ability to connect and get analytics, but you need to pay for that. With other platforms, we can get a lot of information for free. With Meraki, you need to pay for a license on a year-to-year basis.

What other advice do I have?

With Ruckus, even if you have a big environment, you can get great performance with only one access point.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

JM
Ing Preventa (Sales Engineer IBW) at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Reseller
High capacity, good stability, good scalability, and good support

• "Its high capacity is the most valuable. It is also very stable. It is way more stable than other platforms."
  • "Its security can be improved. It doesn't use Wireless IPS. Therefore, we have to combine WatchGuard that uses a Wireless IPS but is a separate solution. These two solutions work in conjunction. We are using the WatchGuard as a sensor and Wireless IPS, and Ruckus is like a platform that is used for the connectivity of the network."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and integrator. We use this solution when our clients have a lot of users or devices that need to be connected to one IP. We use it for a high capacity of connections.

What is most valuable?

Its high capacity is the most valuable. It is also very stable. It is way more stable than other platforms.

What needs improvement?

Its security can be improved. It doesn't use Wireless IPS. Therefore, we have to combine WatchGuard that uses a Wireless IPS but is a separate solution. These two solutions work in conjunction. We are using the WatchGuard as a sensor and Wireless IPS, and Ruckus is like a platform that is used for the connectivity of the network.

I have been using this solution for the last ten years.

Its stability is very good. We use the switches, and the switches have more stability than the wireless.

It has good scalability. We can use ten appliances with an AP. We can migrate to the SmartZone or Cloud. You can use the same appliance initially when you are a small business, and you can keep on using it as your business grows. Its scalability is very dynamic as compared to Aruba Instant On, where you have to use different appliances when your company starts to grow.

Most of our clients who are using this solution are small and medium companies. We have a few clients who are large companies.

Their technical support is very good. I was recently trying the Zone demonstration of cloud, and they responded to and answered my questions. Their support was agile. They have documentation, manuals, and videos on YouTube.

Its initial setup was easy. If we are using a common line, it is not difficult to deploy Ruckus Wireless.

The deployment duration depends on the size of the company. For a small company, we can deploy this in minutes. For a large company, it can take a lot more time.

Ubiquiti and Aruba Instant On are good for small businesses in terms of cost than Ruckus Wireless.

Our clients evaluate Ubiquiti and Aruba Instant On. Both these solutions are designed for small businesses. They are good for small businesses in terms of cost and capabilities. They have very few capabilities as compared to Ruckus Wireless, but they are very good for small businesses. Ruckus Wireless also has a better connection capacity than other brands. Ruckus Wireless is suitable for medium or large companies, and Ubiquiti and Aruba Instant On are suitable for small companies.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution depending on the needs and the size of the company. For a higher connection capacity, I would recommend Ruckus Wireless. If you don't require a higher capacity, I would recommend Aruba Instant On or Ubiquiti. Ruckus Wireless is suitable for medium or large companies, and Ubiquiti and Aruba Instant On are suitable for small companies.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless a nine out of ten.

Andres Echeverry
Director General at INNOVAR IT SAS
Reseller
Eases wireless integration with existing networks and supports many devices

• "For me, the most valuable features are good integration with the customer's existing network and the ease of deployment and configuration. Ruckus products are also easy to learn to manage and deploy for not only our own staff, but also for the IT workers in the customer's organization."
  • "Ruckus products, overall, have a wide range of useful features, however not all customers have the budget to buy a corporate Wi-Fi solution. Most of the time, it's far too expensive for our clients to consider going with Ruckus, and they might like to see cheaper solutions in the Ruckus range."

What is our primary use case?

We have two customers where we implemented on-premises solutions with Ruckus Wireless, making use of Ruckus Unleashed and access point models R510, R610, and R320.

Our one customer is a small-medium business and they have 50 to 100 employees, and the most recent solution that we implemented was for a government client where we installed 17 access points.

How has it helped my organization?

In the years that we have worked with Ruckus, we have found it to be a very comfortable solution for both my own company and our customers. Ruckus enables us to give organizations better wireless access to their network, and can support many devices.

With Ruckus, alongside some Aruba products, we are able to more easily solve communication problems in the companies we work with.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ruckus Wireless for five years now.

Ruckus products are very, very stable. We have clients that can go one or two years with no issues at all, and with other clients we tend to see only minor issues with the wireless network.

Up until 25 access points, things are very simple. When you get to more than 25 access points, you need a controller and it is sometimes an issue for clients because they generally don't want to spend more buying the controller.

The support from Ruckus Wireless is acceptable. When we open a support case, they normally respond in a short amount of time.

The setup is easy.

Our implementation process is very quick, and it normally takes only one or two days. It's especially quick to implement when we already have all the equipment and cabling ready to connect and configure on the customer's premises.

Not all of our clients can afford a fully corporate solution like Ruckus. But for many of our clients, pricing is the only factor that prevents them from choosing Ruckus, as we have found Ruckus to be a very suitable and reliable solution for integrating wireless access points to a company's network.

Normally, here in Medellín, Columbia where we work, the clients consider Ubiquiti or TP-Link first because they're cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

Ruckus incorporates the latest technology in their products and they are indeed very fast performance-wise.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
    Wireless LAN
    Download our free Ruckus Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.