RK
Store Associate at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use and manage with pretty good scalability

• "They have all the features in terms of wireless technology. They have most of the features already there in the controller and their wireless system."
  • "The pricing needs to be more competitive. They need to re-examine their business model and see if there is a way to provide their service at a cheaper cost."

What is our primary use case?

Generally, customers look for wireless connectivity for their users and guests systems as well. Most of the customer feel comfortable with Ruckus due to the fact that they have SMS based authentication features and an OPB based authentication within the hardware.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and manage.

The solution is quite flexible, which is a great selling point for our clients.

They are competitive if you compare their capabilities with Cisco and other competitors.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for at least four or five years at this point. It's been a while.

In terms of the hardware, the stability could improve a bit. However, in terms of configuration and reconfiguration, it is quite stable.

The solution can easily scale and expand. If a company needs to make it larger, they can do so quite easily.

We're pretty technical, so we can assist our clients. However, when we or others need to reach out to technical support, it's remote via telephone. We're pretty satisfied with their service. I'd rate them nine out of ten overall. It's pretty good.

We use different products. Occasionally, a client may want to use Cisco. I'm not, however, too familiar with Aruba. Whatever we use depends on customer requirements and not our personal preference. I find Cisco to be a bit costlier. That said, it has lots of features on offer.

The difficulty or ease of set up depends largely on a client's environment and infrastructure.

It takes, at maximum, one day to deploy. You can get it up and running pretty quickly. If the network is there, I can configure any IP from anywhere.

Their pricing is quite high. It can be higher than Cisco. It all depends on the features a client needs.

What other advice do I have?

We're Ruckus partners.

We use a variety of different versions of the solution. We also can deploy the solution both on the cloud or on-premises, depending on what our clients require.

I personally deal more on the side of project management, although I do occasionally also do technical evaluations.

This solution works best for SMBs. Most of our clients are medium-sized organizations, typically in the university and education sector. We also handle some big nightclubs.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine. We definitely haven't had any issues with it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Prices are one of the selection criteria as of now, Prices should be match with other competitors
MB
Founder, Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, overall good functionality, and simple to manage

• "Ruckus Wireless is more of a plain Wi-Fi solution where it does the basic job well. Additionally, it has good conductivity, easy to use, simple to manage, and its access points can be used as standalone devices which gives flexibility in the SMB market."
  • "The solution lacks a lot of features other solutions provide. If you are an organization that is more focused on security or you need a lot of other features, such as location tracking then Ruckus Wireless may not be the right choice. If you want a solution with more than basic security I would choose Arista or Aruba."

What is our primary use case?

Ruckus Wireless is used for networking and security. They have both cloud-based and on-premise controllers available. You often see this solution in the hospitality sector.

What is most valuable?

Ruckus Wireless is more of a plain Wi-Fi solution where it does the basic job well. Additionally, it has good conductivity, easy to use, simple to manage, and its access points can be used as standalone devices which gives flexibility in the SMB market.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a lot of features other solutions provide. If you are an organization that is more focused on security or you need a lot of other features, such as location tracking then Ruckus Wireless may not be the right choice. If you want a solution with more than basic security I would choose Arista or Aruba.

Ruckus has gone through too many changes in their management, and in the last four or five years, they have been lacking feature sets that others provide. Additionally, the integration, network security, and BLE features need to be improved. There are key features they are still lacking.

I used Ruckus Wireless within the past 12 months.

The solution is highly stable.

Ruckus Wireless is scalable. However, in terms of the scalability of the controller, there is always a limit on the number of access points or clients the hardware can support. If the access points are placed in a decent place with multiple options of controllers everything works well.

Ruckus Wireless is the best fit for the SMB market which they have a dominant presence.

We have deployed the solution in an educational institute and in a restaurant that has a lodging segment and a coworking space.

I have not faced any problems with the solution to need to contact the technical support.

The solution is straightforward. It can be done in a short period of time.

Once you deploy Ruckus Wireless correctly, there is no maintenance required. It is close to maintenance-free, except for some operational jobs which depend upon what the customer may want and that is where you need human intervention.

If you walk into any restaurant or hotel you will find Ruckus Wireless solutions because it is economical when it comes to pricing. There is a basic subscription for the license and support.

I have evaluated Arista and Aruba.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ruckus Wireless to anyone who is looking for a plain Wi-Fi solution. If you want Wi-Fi that will provide wireless connectivity that is good and stable, this is the solution to pick. If you need a solution with a lot of features for the network, such as wireless intrusion prevention or internal location tracking, there are other solutions that you should look for.

I rate Ruckus Wireless an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YS
Senior Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up with good technical support and great performance

• "The beamforming has been the most valuable aspect of the solution for our organization."
  • "The solution should have more analytics capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to provide public WiFi.

What is most valuable?

The beamforming has been the most valuable aspect of the solution for our organization.

Technical support is very helpful.

The initial setup is easy.

We have not had issues with stability.

The scalability is great.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. We find the product to be quite expensive for our purposes. You have to pay extra for the support costs as well.

The solution should have more analytics capabilities.

We pay external fees for external third-party providers. It would be ideal if integration could be improved.

I've dealt with the solution for about four years or so. It's been a while.

The solution has proven itself to be quite stable. It doesn't crash or freeze and we don't really deal with bugs or glitches. it's reliable. The performance is good.

The solution scales well. We have given more bandwidth as well as extended the network through Smart Meshing and it's been fine. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. No problem.

You do pay extra for technical support, however, I can say that they are very good. they are helpful and responsive and we have found them to be available when we need them. We are satisfied with the level of support we get from them.

We onboarded Ruckus as the first product in our company. We did not use anything else prior to Ruckus.

The initial setup is not complex or overly difficult. It's quite straightforward and pretty simple. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We did everything in-house and did not need any outside help. We did not require an integrator or consultant. I'm a network engineer. I can handle anything related to a setup quite easily.

The price is high and you do need to pay extra to get support covered under the license.

Before choosing this solution, we analyzed other products such as Cisco's Meraki. We looked at a few other potential products as well, however, I cannot recall what they were at this time.

What other advice do I have?

We're not a supplier, however, we do implement Ruckus as a managed service.

We've used various deployment models, including on-premises as well as at the data center level.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We've mostly been satisfied with its capabilities. As long as it works, especially in an outdoor environment, we're happy.

I would recommend it to other individuals and companies.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
InnocentKurehwa
VAS Technician / Wireless Technician at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Great reporting and analytics with good configuration capabilities

• "The solution has great network intelligence from applications, clients, access points, and controllers."
  • "I would like to see more location-based services on the Smart Cell Insight on access points."

What is our primary use case?

The system is used in reporting as a vital business tool for collecting, analyzing, parsing, presenting, and storing unprecedented

The solution automatically detects network anomalies. SmartCell Insight uses advanced machine learning algorithms to automatically establish a pattern of normal behavior for each network element. The system requires no input from IT. Its predictive analytics capability automatically detects anomalous behavior in network elements—helping you to proactively address issues that might affect service levels.

How has it helped my organization?

The Ruckus SCI has transformed traditional network reporting into a vital business tool, collecting, analyzing, parsing, presenting, and storing unprecedented amounts of user, traffic, session, and location information. Data from the large networks can be stored and retrieved for several years. Ruckus SCI collects and aggregates statistics, providing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) such as upstream and downstream traffic, number of sessions, unique clients, or even the throughput customers can expect to achieve over periods of time on a per-AP basis, and filtered by time as well as a wide variety of other metrics

What is most valuable?

The most useful aspects include:

• Powerful Wireless Network Reporting and Analytics
  • Network intelligence from applications, clients, access points, and controllers
  • Predictive analytics powered by machine learning to automatically detect network anomalies
  • Variety of standardized reports with drill-down capability for highly granular detail
  • Data Explorer tool to customize reports and dashboards with drag-and-drop ease
  • Ruckus SmartCell Insight (SCI) is the industry’s first Big Data Wi-Fi analytics and reporting engine that is purpose-built to help service providers make informed business decisions regarding the operation of their Wi-Fi networks. It makes use of Big Data technology and storage innovations found in columnar database repositories which greatly enhance the scale and performance of a system when used to process historical data.
  • Easy to integrate/configure with old systems.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more location-based services on the Smart Cell Insight on access points.

I've used the solution since about May 2021.

It is very scalable. You can add more controllers as long you have license capacity.

Customer service is excellent and the service is prompt.

You can also raise the level of your issue if you need to.

You can get to choose your type of support and they can communicate with you via e-mail or a direct phone call.

I did not use a different solution just yet.

It is a straightforward setup. There is documentation for the system, which makes it easy.

It was an in-house combination of the IS team and the system users.

I'm still considering other platforms.

What other advice do I have?

This a good solution for an enterprise network.

Private Cloud
Networking Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up, simple to use, and the Unleashed software is helpful

• "I really like Ruckus Unleashed, which is the feature that provides a quick solution for me to control the APs."
  • "I would like the option to not have my logs deleted when I shut down the device so that I will be able to troubleshoot."

What is our primary use case?

We originally installed Ruckus for our public Wi-Fi, but we are now using it for our internal network. We had used it in the public Wi-Fi for at least three or four years before implementing it for our network, which was about three months ago.

Right now, we are using it for online connections and applications like Zoom and Google Meet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is simplicity.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more reports for the Unleashed feature, as my bosses require these and it would be best if I could include more.

There are times when I have trouble connecting and I would like to view the logs, but when I shut down Ruckus, the logs are deleted. Once the AP comes back up, the information will be gone. I would like the option to not have my logs deleted when I shut down the device so that I will be able to troubleshoot.

We have been using Ruckus Wireless for at least three or four years.

So far, so good. I haven't had any challenges. It is being used by my directors and I have asked them to give me feedback. So far, I'm not getting any complaints.

For the smaller network, which is just the company directors, we have about 20 who are on the network. The public Wi-Fi has a very large number of users.

I am planning to increase the number of APs once the directors have assessed it. I expect to buy more access points for other areas, such as marketing, where I want to put high-density and high-capacity APs.

Because of the simplicity and the connection, I have never had to contact technical support. I have been able to do everything on my own.

It was easy for me to set up.

I completed the installation and setup on my own.

The setup that I have at the moment does not require licensing, although I am not sure whether a bigger project will mean that I have to spend more.

With respect to our internal network, we are still using one as a control and testing the system to see if it's going to give us the solution we want.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend to others.

George Karavitis
Owner at DIGITAL HORIZON
Reseller
A fantastic enterprise solution with good stability, security, and balancing between the access points

• "Zero-handoff is one of the top features. The client balancing between the access points is good. Its security is also fine."
  • "Its pricing and licensing can be improved. Its UI can also be more user-friendly. Currently, in the Unleashed mode, the information that you have about the switches that you add to the controller is quite limited. I would like more information regarding switches. In this mode, an access point acts as a controller, so you don't need a controller. It is for deployments with less than 125 access points, and you can use an access point as a controller."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for hospitality and private companies. I have a private cloud server acting as a controller, and I also have it on-premises for some of the clients. Some of the clients also have it in the Unleashed mode, and they're using the embedded controller on the access point.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients have significantly improved their functions by reducing the number of access points and avoiding downtime, disconnect issues, and other issues.

I was trying to solve a problem for a client who had multiple access points to cover an area. There were several issues, and a colleague of mine suggested using Ruckus, and it was a revelation. It resolved all our issues. We changed from 12 access points to 3 access points, and everything started to work.

What is most valuable?

Zero-handoff is one of the top features. The client balancing between the access points is good. Its security is also fine.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing and licensing can be improved. Its UI can also be more user-friendly.

Currently, in the Unleashed mode, the information that you have about the switches that you add to the controller is quite limited. I would like more information regarding switches. In this mode, an access point acts as a controller, so you don't need a controller. It is for deployments with less than 125 access points, and you can use an access point as a controller.

I have been using this solution for the last five years.

It is quite stable.

Their technical support is fine. When and if I need something, they respond instantly.

I have used several solutions. In some cases, I am still using Ubiquity. If I have advanced requirements or need an enterprise solution, I go for Ruckus.

I have cloud and on-premises setups. Most of them were straightforward. Some of them were complex. In general, it takes a few hours for a site.

I am a reseller and system integrator.

It depends on the client. You have an initial license cost that you need to buy to bind the access point with the controller. This is a one-time fee. You also have to pay the support fee that, if I remember correctly, is about $25 per access point. Its pricing and licensing can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I am mostly using it as an access point. I plan to increase its usage and increase the number of companies. I would advise others to test the product. It is a fantastic product.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless a ten out of ten.

Joshy Varghese
Managing Director at Evenor Info Solutions Pvt Ltd
Stable, great in interior and exterior environments, and offers a strong signal

• "The initial setup is very simple."
  • "The pricing of the product can be a bit expensive. They should work on making pricing more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution internally and also help clients set up the product for their companies.

It's a frequency. They will provide the tool and stable wireless frequencies.

How has it helped my organization?

The throughput has been excellent.

What is most valuable?

The solution does not disconnect, which is extremely helpful, especially when you are working from home.

The signal, strength-wise, is its most valuable aspect. These frequencies pass through touch one to 200 voltage. The distortion will not affect this product. That's why we suggest it to our clients.

The initial setup is very simple.

We have found the solution to be very stable. It's great in interior and exterior environments.

The scalability is great.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution since 2015.

It is a stable product. The product is very good and very reliable and functions well in indoor and outdoor settings.

The scalability of the product is quite good.

In my organization, right now, we have 35 workers and we are planning to move our office. There will be 5,200 people there.

We do plan to increase usage.

Technical support could be better. They should also have it so that it's included and you should not have to pay extra for it.

I'm also familiar with Aruba. Compared to Aruba, the frequency will not disconnect.

We tried Cisco, also, however, we heard that it's not a good product. Price-wise, they're really cheap, however, they are not a better product.

The initial setup is extremely simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. Typically, one access point can be deployed in 15 minutes.

The solution doesn't really need much maintenance. We have used it for seven or eight years without incident.

Our engineers are able to implement the solution for our clients. We can implement it for ourselves in-house using our team. We can easily mount the materials.

The product is very expensive. Technical support should also be included in the pricing.

We tend to deal with yearly licensing renewal fees. We buy packages in bundles and then, every year, we need to pay to renew.

What other advice do I have?

We are Ruckus partners. We are systems integrators.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using at this time.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

DC
ICT Manager/Systems Administrator at a university with 201-500 employees
Scales well with great technical support and great reliability

• "The setup is very straightforward."
  • "The pricing is okay, however, it could be a bit lower."

What is our primary use case?

It's a wireless LAN solution. We are a college. We've got staff, students, guests, and admin staff. We use it to provide wireless internet connectivity for the third category of users usually separated by SA5U. We're using it for bringing on devices as a means by which our students can onboard their devices.

What is most valuable?

The setup is very straightforward. The configuration process is quite simple as well.

The stability is excellent.

We haven't had any issues with scaling.

It's easy enough to set up by yourself, and if you need help, they are ready to assist.

Their technical support is very responsive.

What needs improvement?

I cannot say that I have had any issues so far. I cannot recall missing any major features.

The pricing is okay, however, it could be a bit lower.

I've been using the solution for about six years now. It's been a while. I have quite a bit of experience.

The stability has been very good. It's so stable that we have never had problems for the past six years - and it's been running continuously with no issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to scale it, it can do so.

In fact, currently, we're actually in the process of increasing the number of access forms.

We have about 1300 users on the solution currently.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and found them to be very helpful and very responsive. You can reach them easily via chat or email. We are satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup is very easy and it's quite a straightforward process. It's not overly complex or difficult. If you run into any issues, in any case, their support is right there to help.

The installation process doesn't take too long. It's only about a couple of hours or so if you are doing a setup from scratch.

We have two admins and four engineers that can assist with any deployment or maintenance.

The pricing could always be a bit lower.

You do need to pay for an annual support license.

What other advice do I have?

We were using that B3000, we are moving to BXV now.

We've been quite happy with the solution and are even expanding it out right now. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten overall.

I would highly recommend the product to other users or organizations.

Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Ruckus Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.