Abdul Basit
Network Design Engineer at Comstar - Information Systems Associates Ltd.
Good customization capabilities with easy scalability and a straightforward setup

• "The solution is very user friendly."
  • "They should work to make their licensing more affordable."

What is our primary use case?

We belong to the hotel industry. In the hotel itself, we have deployed WIFI fully throughout the establishment. So far, it is working perfectly.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a lot of great features to its users.

The multiple FSIVs is great.

The meshing is very effective.

The solution has a very high bandwidth.

We've found the initial setup to be straightforward.

The solution is very user friendly.

It offers good customization capabilities.

We have found the dashboards to be quite good.

What needs improvement?

Occasionally, we have found some controllers malfunctioning. However, that is rare, and largely the solution works perfectly.

They should work to make their licensing more affordable.

I've been using the solution for five to six years at this point. It's been a while for sure.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I've found it to be extremely reliable.

The solution scales quite easily when you need it to. We use and mix and match the old and new versions as we change rapidly. We have our older equipment that hits its end of life, and we deploy new ones to cover the old. We are able to do this pretty seamlessly, and, if we need to, we can just continuously add on based on our requirements.

Everyone who works in our organization uses the solution.

We've been in touch with technical support multiple times. When we create a ticket, they are quite responsive. We're satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation.

We deployed almost 420 pieces and in total it only took us about a month and a half.

The licensing is paid on a yearly basis. We are working with three yearly licenses.

The pricing is okay, however, it could be more affordable.

We have looked at Aruba and Cisco as well as ExtremeWireless and compared them all to Ruckus.

What other advice do I have?

We are a large partner.

We don't use the latest version of the solution every single time. Often we mix and match versions.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. We've been largely very happy with the product overall.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Kent Rustad
President at AIC Partners
Reseller
Reliable, has exceptional coverage, and it is straightforward to set up

• "The most valuable feature is the coverage, which is exceptional."
  • "I would like to see newer on-premises controller-type models, similar to the 3000."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Ruckus reseller and this wireless product is one that we provide for our customers.

My customers are all in industrial environments, so I have worked with a lot of different controller-based models. I primarily handle warehouse management and manufacturing, so these are installed in big warehouses, the oil sector, solar-powered Wi-Fi, and other businesses.

Many of the wireless devices are by vendors like Honeywell and Zebra. They are handheld units and the network packet size is small.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the coverage, which is exceptional.

What needs improvement?

I feel that the vendor needs to have better control of who is selling the product online, especially when the reseller doesn't know anything about the product. It is frustrating when customers tell me that they have found it on Amazon for a cheaper price.

I would like to see newer on-premises controller-type models, similar to the 3000.

We have been working with Ruckus Wireless for about nine years, since 2011. I have about 24 years of experience with wireless solutions in general.

I haven't had any issues with maintenance, long-term. They have never had any trouble holding up in the environment that they're in.

The scalability of Ruckus is excellent. I have some very, very large customers.

I have experience working with Cisco, Aruba, and other types of Wi-Fi that my customers have installed.

For somebody who knows what they're doing, the initial setup is very straightforward.

Sometimes, people take an easy approach to implementing the system, but it is not as efficient as it could be. Generally, I find that you can put it in the easy way or the right way, and you need to have a little more skill than just plugging it in to get it working efficiently.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is not to become obsessed with bandwidth or throughput. It is more important to look at coverage and roaming capabilities than simply the bandwidth. I find that when it comes to schools, people who are implementing wireless usually overdo it.

For me, this is the best wireless product on the market. Every customer where I have put it in to replace an existing system loves it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Networking Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and scalable solution that lets you visualize the network, manage it through a cell phone, and check the quality of a signal

• "I can manage the network through a cell phone, which is a plus from my side. I am also able to visualize the network. I can also check the quality of the signal for different clients that are currently connected and see whether the quality is excellent, moderate, or poor. Sometimes, I can even adjust the signal strength."
  • "They could add more flexibility for switching over to another radio if a radio is poor. I am not able to change the radios from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz. I am yet to figure it out. I want it to be a bit more explicit or a bit easier to change radios. When you shut it down, you lose some of the information. It would be good to have a controller where I can store the information, and later on, I can retrieve the information. There should be some form of small storage to keep the information. Its price should also be improved. Its price is currently quite high."

What is our primary use case?

Ruckus Wireless was deployed almost four or five years ago for our Wi-Fi network, but we were not using it for our highest metric. We recently started using it for our internal network. We are using Ruckus Wireless for the metric that is connecting the top management to the internet.

What is most valuable?

I can manage the network through a cell phone, which is a plus from my side. I am also able to visualize the network. I can also check the quality of the signal for different clients that are currently connected and see whether the quality is excellent, moderate, or poor. Sometimes, I can even adjust the signal strength.

What needs improvement?

They could add more flexibility for switching over to another radio if a radio is poor. I am not able to change the radios from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz. I am yet to figure it out. I want it to be a bit more explicit or a bit easier to change radios.

When you shut it down, you lose some of the information. It would be good to have a controller where I can store the information, and later on, I can retrieve the information. There should be some form of small storage to keep the information.

Its price should also be improved. Its price is currently quite high.

Based on the experience so far, it is stable. I'm judging based on the experience of the people who are using it. I am using it for the top management, and I have also put an order for more APs.

It is scalable. You can connect the APs through a mesh without using cables, which makes it easy to scale out.

I haven't contacted them yet because I can handle the challenges. If I get something that is beyond what I can handle, I will get in touch.

It was okay. I didn't need any training for the setup. You simply go through the manual. I saw a video just once and then installed it.

I did it on my own.

It is a good product, but it is pricey. In terms of the pricing, it is a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but they should reduce the price.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless an eight out of ten.

Badar Raqeeb
Team Lead at Comstar - Information Systems Associates Ltd.
Good bandwidth and coverage, but the pricing is high

• "It's good for low-level usage."
  • "The initial setup is complex."

How has it helped my organization?

We are primarily using the solution as a third party. Our clients use it.

What is most valuable?

It's good for low-level usage.

The coverage is pretty good so far. The bandwidth is also good for the most part.

What needs improvement?

It's not providing the bandwidth as per its particular description. In my view, in one moment, it reduced one-fourth.

The controller needs improvement. Sometimes when we are doing certain operations we have trouble. It's something that needs to be looked at. We looked at APM controllers and we find them to be more difficult.

The initial setup is complex.

We have a variety of clients on the solution, and they are different sizes. Some are medium-sized. Others are large enterprise-level organizations.

While the technical support is good, they do charge money if you want to have access to the support itself. That said, we're mostly satisfied with the level of service we are provided. It's not a bad service on offer.

I do currently use Infinit Wireless Quanta products. I'm also familiar with Ubiquiti Wireless solutions.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's pretty complex. We found it to be a bit challenging.

The deployment itself takes about two to three hours.

You do need to pay extra for technical support services if you would like to have access to them.

When we first offer Ruckus Wireless to our clients, they ask the price and are a bit shocked. They asked why we chose this when there are other lower options on the market. It's a hard sell sometimes due to the price tag. It's something they need to work on so that they align better with the market and get more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners. We offer this solution to our clients.

I personally am not much of a technical person, and therefore it's hard to get into specifics.

On the bandwidth and coverage, I would rate Ruckus at a nine out of ten. However, if we are looking at just pricing, I would rate it at a seven out of ten. Overall, in general, I would rate the solution as a whole at an eight out of ten. We're mostly happy with its capabilities, however, the price makes it a hard sell to clients.

DH
Head of IT Network Division at Panorinformatika
Flexible and reasonably priced with good technical support

• "The scalability has been very good."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution offered more features."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for a variety of companies, including those in transportation and the government sector as well. It's used for wireless access.

What is most valuable?

Overall, we are very satisfied with its capabilities.

The pricing is very reasonable.

It is flexible.

It contains almost all of the new features that solutions require for wireless access.

The scalability has been very good.

Technical support has been good.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution offered more features.

The product could use more integration capabilities.

We've used the solution for a while now. We use it continuously, on different projects.

We've installed the solution for many clients so far.

We find the solution to be very scalable. I'd rate the scalability at about an eight or a nine out of ten.

We have ten employees that work directly with the product.

We have been satisfied with technical support, they have been helpful and responsive.

We use solutions such as Juniper, Cisco Meraki, Ruckus, and Extreme. We are an independent integrator company, so we use the best solution for the customer.

The time it takes to install the solution depends on the number of the EPs. We are speaking about the settings, not the manual installation. If we are speaking about the configuration, it takes one day in most cases.

We have a team of ten that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks. They are all engineers.

We handle the implementation process for our clients.

The solution is reasonably priced as compared to, for example, Cisco, which is much more expensive.

Customers need to pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

Every month we have different installation projects. Sometimes we use Ruckus if the customer is satisfied with this solution. Usually, we suggest things to the customer based on if the price and if a client is price-conscious they tend to choose this, as opposed to Cisco, which is more expensive.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We have been happy with it so far.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

MashukThakur
Senior Wireless Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Reliable and easy to deploy

• "In my experience, Ruckus devices are much more reliable than other vendors when it comes to consistency, coverage, and client density. Ruckus is very simple to configure and troubleshoot."
  • "It is very difficult to convince the customer to choose Ruckus because of the price."

What is our primary use case?

It is generally deployed in hotels and sometimes for VIP customers.

What is most valuable?

In my experience, Ruckus devices are much more reliable than other vendors when it comes to consistency, coverage, and client density. Ruckus is very simple to configure and troubleshoot.

I've been using Ruckus Wireless for almost six years.

The stability of Ruckus Wireless is better than other solutions. I never hear complaints about coverage, connectivity, or speed. I've worked in the wireless field for almost 17 years, and I've only received one call about Ruckus. During the same time, I've received four calls about other solutions from other vendors.

I've deployed in JW Marriott Hotel with almost 900 access points. And I deployed it in one house with just 20 access points. So working with both big and small projects, I've had good customer feedback. Since I'm not receiving any complaints, I feel like it is working fine on any scale.

In one of the hotels, it stopped broadcasting SSIDs, so I opened a ticket with Ruckus support. They upgraded the software of the controller and performed some configuration modifications, then it worked fine. I only faced that one issue, but this was their own issue. It was delayed too for the RNA.

For Ruckus Wireless, the setup is simple. The time for deployment has been increased somewhat. And deployment also depends on the quantity, but the solution is very easy to implement overall. Physically installation and configuration are simple. The access point is also much lighter than other solutions.

We sell both Ruckus and Aruba. Aruba is more complicated to use and less reliable than Ruckus, but it's also much less expensive. When we're quoting prices, we'll send the customer two quotations, one for Ruckus and one for Aruba. So for example, if a project costs $2,000 with Aruba, the same project will cost around $3,200 or $3,500 with Ruckus. It is very difficult to convince the customer to choose Ruckus because of the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Ruckus nine out 10. I'd also point out that Ruckus Wireless is high speed. And with Ruckus, you can use standalone or cloud-based. Standalone is much better.

ML
Director of Product Management at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Good RFS characteristics, reliable, and the technical support is good

• "The reason we picked Ruckus, in addition to our long-standing relationship with them, is pretty much that the RFS characteristics of it seem to be the best."
  • "The price is an area that requires improvement. The pricing could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are internet service providers.

We use Ruckus in our business hotspot deployment. We sell to a customer who might have a coffee shop for example, and we would install one of the Ruckus access points so that they could deploy Wi-Fi to their patrons.

What is most valuable?

The reason we picked Ruckus, in addition to our long-standing relationship with them, is pretty much that the RFS characteristics of it seem to be the best. That's what we find useful.

Also, we like the more remote deployment aspects of things as well.

What needs improvement?

The price is an area that requires improvement. The pricing could be better.

In the next release, I would like to understand more where presence analytics is going and IoT support. Is it going to be multi-way for IoT support?

I would like to see IoT presence analytics.

Our company has been using Ruckus Wireless for five years.

This is a stable product.

Ruckus Wireless is a scalable solution.

We have deployed 350 indoor access point solutions, and 650 outdoors.

We have 5,000 people in our company, but we are not the ones who are using this product. We sell 50 to 100 per month. We are incorporating it into our solution and selling it.

Technical support is good. They are supportive.

We don't call them often, and we don't really call them for technical support, we call them for integration support.

It's a different organization, we deal more with the enterprise support group.

The initial setup was complex although it wasn't a problem with Ruckus, it was our problem.

We're not using any of the Ruckus cloud features.

We're completely integrated into our own kind of a management portal and our own management system, so the issues are on our side, not theirs.

We outsourced installation, but we design and support solutions ourselves.

We don't pay any licensing fees, we purchase them.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ruckus Wireless to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless an eight out of ten.

PS
Managing Member at PJSSYSTEMS, LLC
Reliable, easy to set up, and the quality of technical support is good

• "The most valuable feature for me is reliability."
  • "Having support available that is more compatible with time zones in the United States would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I am an independent contractor and I work to set up and maintain wireless network systems. Ruckus Wireless is one of the solutions that I rely on.

I am working with a small school that has a Ruckus wireless system in place to provide service for mobile devices. In that site, we have the main controller and six or seven access points.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is reliability. It works.

What needs improvement?

I have had trouble with signal strength and coverage in the school setting, which is in part due to the construction. I have an access point in the hallway and in every classroom.

I have been using Ruckus wireless for about five years.

I haven't had any issues with the stability of the signal. It either makes the connection or it doesn't.

It is sometimes difficult to reach technical support when you need it. For example, recently I was able to get through to somebody rather quickly when I had to repair a wireless system that had gone down. At other times, it will be five or six hours before somebody returns my call. This can be a problem when I am already at a client site because I can't sit there and charge the client while I was for Ruckus to call me back. However, I have also had the same experience with Cisco.

Quality-wise, the person that I recently dealt with in regards to an RMA was outstanding.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Getting improved coverage is often just a matter of moving the devices around.

The school is at a point where they either have to expand their Ruckus system or instead replace it entirely with one from Cisco. However, given the money that they've got invested in Ruckess equipment, I don't know that replacing it is a prudent choice.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, I think that Ruckus is a good product. I'm a fan and I recommend them.

Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Ruckus Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.