Anders Wall
CIO at Vätterleden Invest AB
Easy to manage, with a portal that makes it easy to find access points and clients

• "The most valuable feature is the portal."
  • "It would be helpful to have a wizard when you are setting up a new access point or a wireless guest network."

What is our primary use case?

This product provides wireless access in our warehouse and the Office and for Guest.

How has it helped my organization?

Now ther is no one complaining that have no access ore lost access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the portal. It's easy to find access points and clients.

This product is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful  if  the wizard when you are setting up a new access point or a wireless guest network. Could have more sugestion on default. There are too many checkboxes to get it to work.

There should be some ? you could klick on to get a short explanation what it means.

I have been working with Ruckus Wireless for approximately six months. In the past two years ago we alos hade a Ruchkus on prem.

It's very stable. We have not had any issues at all.

It's scalable. We have not had any problems. It's easy to add more users.

We have approximately 90 users in our warehouse.

We have not had the need to contact technical support. The solution has been working.

Previously, we were working with Cisco. It was more complex to manage the Cisco Network and the setup was more complicated. This was the main reason that we switched.

We decided to go with Ruckus Wireless because it was easier to use and more user-friendly and the price was better.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. It was quite easy to set it up and get it working.

We use a vendor. It was straight forwrad. It was working dicect when we connected our AP.

The price is reasonable. It's better priced than Cisco.

Cisco Meraki and Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version and it upgrades automatically.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

HC
Wireless Network Engineer at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A wireless solution that is scalable and reliable

• "Ruckus Wireless is a valuable solution. It's both scalable and reliable."
  • "It would be better if there were more visibility on the cloud. We have some lack of visibility because of wireless interference, and you have to do some troubleshooting for the packet capture. They have a built-in packet capture, and we can monitor the application. You can see all things over the cloud. They also provide an on-premise solution, so they need to improve the on-premise version and ensure an output with more visibility. Live monitoring in a live environment should be good. What is happening with wireless is that the wireless client is not connected due to interference, and there should be a shield zone on their wireless cloud. If they give us more features on both Ruckus Cloud or on-premises, that will be best. Nowadays, security is more important for everyone using wireless technology. If they implement a little bit of reduction and prevention features for some packets on the wireless cloud, some features like web filtering and some prevention for blocking will be good for the network."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Ruckus Wireless for different enterprise networks.

What is most valuable?

Ruckus Wireless is a valuable solution. It's both scalable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if there were more visibility on the cloud. We have some lack of visibility because of wireless interference, and you have to do some troubleshooting for the packet capture. They have a built-in packet capture, and we can monitor the application. You can see all things over the cloud. They also provide an on-premise solution, so they need to improve the on-premise version and ensure an output with more visibility.

Live monitoring in a live environment should be good. What is happening with wireless is that the wireless client is not connected due to interference, and there should be a shield zone on their wireless cloud. If they give us more features on both Ruckus Cloud or on-premises, that will be best.

It's a reliable solution. There is no issue, and it's reliable. But you need to improve in cloud services because nowadays, more users are coming to the cloud, not on-premises. Because of COVID, we have more users on the cloud. So, a feature for enhancing visibility will be good.

Ruckus Wireless is a scalable solution.

Technical support could be better. Ruckus support is a little bit slow compared to others. They take time. They need to improve support at the partner end, customer end, and distributor end.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We're a reseller, and we set up and deploy this solution.

We have a yearly license for our multiple mode 200 or 300 Ruckus Wireless systems. It's a good price.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Ruckus Wireless an eight.

Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MashukThakur
Senior Wireless Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
A stable wireless solution with good coverage and speed.

• "The speed between client to client is really nice. It is better than any other vendor, but officially, I cannot say that to people."
  • "I have not got any major problem using Ruckus, but the price and technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are an ISP and mobile operator. We provide customers with almost everything there is to do with wireless. I am also currently doing the whitepaper from our company.

What is most valuable?

Personally, I like it, and I try to encourage people to go for Ruckus because I find the Ruckus coverage is fine. The speed between client to client is really nice. It is better than any other vendor, but officially, I cannot say that to people.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ruckus Wireless for six years.

It is a stable product. One of the R500 Access Points accidentally went underwater. Water was flowing inside the access point. I just kept outside it in front of a fan for two days, and it is working again. It is very nice, and I don't think any other brand will give me this kind of durability.

Technical support could be better. About two months ago, I received a complaint from one of our customers about the R500 Wireless Access Point. One of the radios was flat dynamically. But after reconfiguration, the controllers and everything else were fine. I opened a ticket with Ruckus, but it was not very helpful.

We are also an Aruba and Cisco partner.

I am in love with Ruckus because it's very easy to configure. Even after the demo and installation, it is easy for me to convince the customer, and sometimes, they can even do it on their own.

The price could be better. Normally, if you find customers paying for cost-effective wireless solutions, Ruckus devices are a little expensive compared to other vendors. Even if I ask them to go for Ruckus, they will choose Aruba and sometimes Cisco Small Business Solutions because of the price. The license is paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ruckus Wireless to potential customers.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Ruckus Wireless a nine.

Bill Sheeler
Director Of Technical Operations at GT Church
Provides good roaming capabilities and the option to have redundant backup controllers

• "Its roaming capabilities and the fact that we can have redundant backup controllers are the most valuable. There is a backup controller that is heart beated to the primary. It is also fairly easy to install."
  • "Its interface could be a little bit more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a big church, so we have to cover a 100,000 square foot building plus another 3,000 square foot building. We have Ruckus Wireless in two locations. We are on Zone Director 1200.

Our other office is running over a VPN, so it keeps connected to the Zone Director via VPN for any information that is needed, but it still works. The nice part is that they work on the internet connection that is local to the office that they are in. They work independently. Nothing comes through the controller. They just use the controller to authenticate and know what is going on with the unit.

What is most valuable?

Its roaming capabilities and the fact that we can have redundant backup controllers are the most valuable. There is a backup controller that is heart beated to the primary. It is also fairly easy to install.

What needs improvement?

Its interface could be a little bit more user friendly.

I have been using Ruckus Wireless for six or seven years.

Its stability has been acceptable.

I have contacted them. So far, so good. There are no major issues with them. They have been pretty responsive.

We used SonicPoint, which is with SonicWall. The only reason for switching was that it wasn't their main thing. They were more of a firewall, and they had it as a secondary thing. We needed something that was much more robust with more capabilities per access point. We have 250 or more people on an access point.

The initial setup was easy.

We paid for a three-year contract last year. I am not sure about what we paid. It is certainly less expensive than Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise looking at the cloud version. If we had not renewed our licensing for the standalone, we would probably look at going with the cloud solution because it is easy to support.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless an eight out of ten.

WA
Management Board Member and Network Engineer at NewLogics
Simple to install and use, stable, and provides good coverage

• "This solution is easy to use and you need minimal IT experience to work with it."
  • "In the next release of this solution, I would like to see a more detailed spectrum analysis."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Ruckus Wireless is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We have clients in the banking sector, hospitality, education, and many others.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is BeamFlex, which enhances the coverage and stability of the signal for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The cloud solution is not mature and needs to be improved.

The pricing of the high-end access points should be lowered to make them more competitive.

We have been using Ruckus Wireless since 2012.

This is a very stable product. When I install it, I do almost zero troubleshooting for a year or more, especially with hospitality. My hospitality customers are really very satisfied because I just install it and forget it.

Once it is set up, it needs minimum maintenance and support.

There are no scalability issues at all.

The technical support team is really helpful and we are satisfied with them. Whenever there is an issue with the hardware, they ship it the following day.

I have never faced any issue with technical support, although if the problem is not critical then it takes some time to respond to it. The manner in which they deal with critical issues is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward and it's not a complex solution at all. It is almost plug-and-play. For the Ruckus Unleashed solution, the deployment depends on the topology but it should take about 15 minutes to complete.

When the system is purchased there are no hidden fees because the license opens all of the features on the controller.

What other advice do I have?

Ruckus Wireless is a good solution and one that I highly recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Nimesha Balasuriya
Engineer - Network Security Operations at SLT Visioncom Pvt Ltd
Offers better coverage and has good scalability

• "The most valuable feature is that Ruckus offers better coverage."
  • "Previously, we would need to purchase appliances every time but it caused our data centers to get filled. Ruckus now has cloud-based controllers. They resolved the issue we were having."

What is our primary use case?

My company sells wifi access points to enterprise customers. Customers need to manage the wifi controller separately. We are managing their Wifi router on their behalf. We provide internet connectivity through the router, the Wireless LAN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that Ruckus offers better coverage.

What needs improvement?

Previously, we would need to purchase appliances every time but it caused our data centers to get filled. Ruckus now has cloud-based controllers. They resolved the issue we were having.

We've been using Ruckus for around five years now.

We don't have any problems with scalability. We purchased 400 access points. We had 1,800 to 2,000 APs attached to it.

We are in the process of procuring a new controller. Ruckus is fine for our solution.

Technical support is good. They resolved 100% of the issues we come to them with. We are satisfied with them.

We have to extend the access points and the controllers which was not a big issue to implement in this project. But when implementing the access points, the problem was when installing a new access point in a new location. Because we have to send a person to that place. And we have to put to the configuration on that access point and then needed to work with the controller. In the new Ruckus platform, we already accommodate using some kind of barcode reader, so that problem was resolved.

Ruckus pricing is good compared to its competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Ruckus a nine out of ten. I would recommend it.

Most customers are not using the wireless LAN as an extension of the wired LAN. So what they are looking for is some value-added service. They want wireless access with some kind of portal that can issue vouchers, like a value-added platform.

OA
NETWORK PRODUCT MANAGER at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Old, outdated, and hard to update

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "Ruckus is a bad solution in general. It's pretty old and outdated."

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Typically, the customer has the know-how to configure and put the products up by themselves. It's a pretty straightforward process.

When we buy this product for our customers, we have noted in the past that this product has an excellent signal.

What needs improvement?

Ruckus is a bad solution in general. It's pretty old and outdated.

When the customer wants to change that technology of the AP from the solution of old technology to new technology, they need to change the controller and the AP, and this is the point that tends to break the solution. It's hard to update.

We also work with Cisco and Aruba. We offer all three to our clients and they tend to choose which one they want to work with, or which has the best price point for them.

The initial setup is very easy and most customers handle it themselves. They can do the setup and configuration as it is not overly complex or difficult.

Typically, the client handles the implementation themselves, however, we can assist as necessary.

The customers don't seem to mind the cost of the solution. Typically they decide to go with it based on the cost.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners and resellers. We used to have a relationship with Ruckus, however, it was purchased by Broadcom, and we don't have any business relationship with them.

It's important for us to present to our customer with some options. However, normally, our customers have a specific budget. In this case, we only move with the needs of our customers. In terms of Meraki, Ruckus, Aruba, et cetera, all work fine. We don't have problems. We don't have interference, or need a box reset, or face other kinds of problems.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a three out of ten.

Innocent Kurehwa
Wireless Technician at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Can be used to analyze signal strength between access points

• "It gives you the whole user session, and you can tell that the client connected at the traffic post."
  • "I wish that Ruckus Wireless were more affordable for customers."

What is our primary use case?

It's our enterprise hotspot solution. I think we have over 350 hotspots, and they all use Ruckus. They all come to a controller.

What is most valuable?

I like it mostly because it gives you the whole user session, and you can tell that the client connected at the traffic post. You can actually analyze the signal strength between access points. Also, Ruckus Wireless has a mesh feature that allows you to deploy mesh mode if you can't call.

This solution is reliable and comes with prompt technical support. Installation is straightforward as well.

What needs improvement?

I wish that Ruckus Wireless were more affordable for customers. It works well but comes at a price.

When we were using the on-premises controller some time ago, they used to have a feature which they called third party. You could have third party access points report to the Ruckus controller. However, the firmware that features this has disappeared, but I think it would be ideal to have that installed.

We've been using Ruckus Wireless for maybe a year.

It is a reliable solution.

Ruckus Wireless technical support is prompt.

The initial deployment was straightforward.

I'm not sure of the details, but I think we have continuous licenses, annual licenses, and three year licenses. Cost-wise, I wish it were more affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because as a company, we have deployed Ruckus as an enterprise solution. I would rate it at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Ruckus Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.