Ruckus Wireless WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ruckus Wireless WAN is #2 ranked solution in top Wireless WAN tools. IT Central Station users give Ruckus Wireless WAN an average rating of 8 out of 10. Ruckus Wireless WAN is most commonly compared to Ubiquiti Wireless:Ruckus Wireless WAN vs Ubiquiti Wireless. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 37% of all views.
What is Ruckus Wireless WAN?

The Ruckus product portfolio of Wi-Fi, switching, IoT, LTE, software and SaaS lets you deliver a great end-user connectivity experience while reducing the amount of time you spend managing the network. And because Ruckus packs more capability into every network element, you can build that network at a lower cost per connection.

Whether your users are employees, customers, guests, residents, students, visitors, fans, or subscribers, Ruckus products are designed to enhance their experience—and yours.

Download the Wireless WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Ruckus Wireless WAN Customers

American University of Sharjah, Dordt College, Drew University, Lamar University, Raroa School

Ruckus Wireless WAN Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ruckus Wireless WAN pricing:
  • "This is a wonderful product for the price."
  • "It's expensive but you get more coverage."
  • "Here in India, Ruckus is chosen often because it is priced low."

Ruckus Wireless WAN Reviews

US
Managing Director at SiT Global GmbH
Reseller
Simple to use, great for outdoor usage and easy to disguise

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the size of the outdoor access points. It's great and you can disguise them quite well."
  • "The pricing, when compared to Ubiquiti, isn't competitive enough. If you want to have a Government or Public sector client they will ask why they should pay 200 euros if they can get something for 40 euros."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used by carriers or for government usage. It's not really designed for normal usage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the size of the outdoor access points. It's great and you can disguise them quite well.

The solution is quite simple to use.

The virtual controller is doing a fine job.

For outdoor usage, I prefer Ruckus. It's the best of all the solutions.

What needs improvement?

The only issue with the solution is that there is quite a lot of strong competition. It's very difficult to get a government or large public enterprise to buy Ruckus or Aruba over, say, Ubiquiti, which is the standard here. For example, we just lost a Ruckus deal against Ubiquiti.

At this stage, there are only minor improvements needed. Overall it's a very good product.

I've been using the solution for two to three years. However, I only use it occasionally. It's very rare that I actually use the product.

We've had absolutely zero technical issues. The solution is very stable. It's worked fine ever since the integration entered into ClearPass. Ever since then, the radius attributes work fine now.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. The solution has been fine in that sense.

I haven't been in regular contact with technical support. The last time I might have contacted them was about three years ago. We had an issue when we were trying to integrate Ruckus into ClearPass on Aruba into the ClearPass radio system. That was solved, however. The issue was that at the time Ruckus didn't accept all the attributes.

These days, it's my understanding that they are very good at assisting clients. We're satisfied with their level of service when we need to work with them.

Integration, if you're lucky, only takes a week or less.

We're implementors as well as resellers. We handle the implementation for our clients.

The pricing, when compared to Ubiquiti, isn't competitive enough. If you want to have a Government or Public sector client they will ask why they should pay 200 euros if they can get something for 40 euros.

What other advice do I have?

We're Ruckus reseller and implementors.

This solution is very high-quality. I'd advise other organizations to look for the best solutions for their situation. However, I know how difficult this is to sell. It's difficult to sell quality when organizations just want to see the price tag. This is especially true in the government and public sector, that are always constrained by budgets.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

It's a very good product. It's a high-end product and it plays in the right league. We do have customers who are willing to spend money, but it's very difficult to find these jobs nowadays.

AbdulrahmanAlshehri
IT Consultant at Asasbin
A reasonably priced solution that is easy to set up and expand

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of adding an access point."
  • "Integration with AirMagnet, the design software, would be good because it takes the layout of a building and positions the access points accordingly, based on the areas and the construction materials."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide network access points.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of adding an access point. Even a kid can do it. If the zone director is set up then adding an access point would just require it be accepted using the MAC address, and that's it.

What needs improvement?

User access control is done through a third-party, RADIUS, which is not an easy system for IT professionals to use. It is used by larger enterprises, so if you want to deploy on a small to medium scale then you definitely require integration from Microsoft.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with other products. Integration with AirMagnet, the design software, would be good because it takes the layout of a building and positions the access points accordingly, based on the areas and the construction materials. Active integration with AirMagnet would be very useful.

There should be support for a local database in the zone directory for people who do not want to use the RADIUS access server.

I have been working with Ruckus Wireless WAN for two and a half years.

This solution is very stable.

This is a very scalable solution where adding an access point is trivial.

Our customers are small to medium in size and include organizations such as hotels and large offices.

I am happy with the technical support. They are responsive and the turnaround time is good.

The initial setup is very easy, although that is not the important part. It's about the distribution of access points based on where wireless coverage is needed and also trying to minimize the number and size of blind points. Blind points are those places where the wireless signal is very weak or doesn't exist. The map has to be designed using third-party software, of course.

This is a wonderful product for the price.

I have evaluated solutions from both Cisco and Aruba. Ruckus does not outperform Cisco or Aruba, but they are in the same league for a much smaller price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to get a good system integrator. Specifically, the people who design the wireless network. You want to have a good design professional who will optimize the cost and give you the best office solution.

Overall, this is a good product that is reasonably priced.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Ruckus, Ubiquiti Networks, Cambium Networks and others in Wireless WAN. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YazeedNawafleh
System Engineer/Network Engineer at SevenGate
Covers high density areas and each action point can hold a high number of concurrent clients

• "The technical features are very good and it's very useful if you need a wireless solution."
  • "They could include a firewall feature in the next release but even there it's not really necessary"

What is our primary use case?

We use Ruckus to cover high-density areas with wireless solutions. This includes schools, airports, and anything in high-density areas. We have somewhere between 50 to 100 customers and they are mainly IT admins, IT managers, schools, hotels, universities, and army.

What is most valuable?

It's the coverage that is the most valuable feature, better than what Cisco or Aruba have, better than any other brand. And the number of concurrent clients that each action point can hold is very high.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any area that needs improvement. It's an easy product to use, the dashboards and interface are very good.

They could include a firewall feature in the next release but even there it's not really necessary because if you have a wireless solution you have a firewall and all the network components. But if I have to come up with something that needs improved, it would be the firewall.

We've been using the latest version of the product for the past two years.

It's a very stable product.

It's a very scalable product.

The technical support is very good.

I have previously worked with Meraki and Aruba. We switched to Ruckus because it's more stable and easier. The technical features are very good and it's very useful if you need a wireless solution, it's very good. A good point about Aruba is that the firewall is better than what Ruckus has. But if you need a wireless solution, Ruckus is very good.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You just move from one step to the next and then it's done. It's very good. I did the setup myself, as a technical person I have that experience and can do it myself. If you need some assistance, technical support can help.

I don't know about the price because I'm a technical person. I'm not in sales so I don't know how it's priced.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a nine out of 10. It's wonderful.

PT
IT PM at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Powerful access points with good coverage and throughput, with responsive support

• "The actual wireless access points themselves are very powerful."
  • "Of course, we'd always like it to be cheaper, but that's for every product."

What is our primary use case?

We are a University and use this solution for our staff and students.

What is most valuable?

The actual wireless access points themselves are very powerful. We get very good coverage from just one access point.

The throughput is very good and the centralized management is excellent.

Also, the ease of deployment is very good.

What needs improvement?

There's nothing that anyone else is doing that the Ruckus doesn't do.

If you compare to the market, I don't see room for improvement, to be honest. There's nothing feature-wise that I see with Ruckus that I think can be improved at the moment.

Of course, we'd always like it to be cheaper, but that's for every product.

I have been working with Ruckus Wireless WAN for six years.

It's a stable solution.

It's scalable, just as we expected it to be.

We have 30,000 to 40,000 users.

Technical support is excellent. They are very responsive, very flexible, and willing to listen to the customer.

If we do have issues, we get escalated to senior support very quickly.

It takes approximately three months to deploy.

We have a network team of approximately six people who not only support wireless, they support switches, firewalls, and load balancers.

We have six people who support Ruckus as well as other areas. Three to four percent of the time, they are supporting issues with Ruckus.

It's expensive but you get more coverage.

Approximately five years ago, we compared Ruckus with five other products in the market.

Even though the wireless access points are expensive, they tend to give you three times more coverage. We ended up with far fewer access points to support.

Some of the solutions we evaluated were Cisco, Aruba, HPE, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution and tell others to use this product.

It's fantastic! I would rate Ruckus Wireless WAN a nine out of ten.

SR
Corporate Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
A reliable solution with good coverage that is easy to deploy, but some analytics features would be helpful

• "The most valuable features are the ease of deployment, the coverage that it offers, and the reliability."
  • "It would be nice to some analytical features built into this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are an enterprise-level service provider and we supply this product to our customers for Wi-Fi solutions. We have positioned Rukus to provide wireless coverage for both the enterprise community and the public.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of deployment, the coverage that it offers, and the reliability. Overall, it's quite a good product.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to some analytical features built into this solution.

I have been work with Ruckus Wireless WAN for more than five years.

We have not had trouble with stability and the devices are always working.

The degree of scalability depends on the model. We have local controllers, as well as cloud options. For seamless scalability, the cloud options are better because the local controllers have a limit on the number of IPs that we can connect. The only way to exceed the maximum is to upgrade to another model.

I have not been in contact with technical support because it would be our technical team who deals with them if any issues arise.

We also provide a Meraki solution to some of our customers. The Meraki is mobile-based, where you just have to press a button on the AP and once the configuration is done, you are connected to the cloud. It is more suitable for a distributed network.

The initial setup and deployment are easy.

What other advice do I have?

We have not yet tested the integration with other devices such as cameras and IoT, but we are looking forward to seeing how Ruckus works with these types of devices.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

EmilioOgando
Integration Manager at Newcom
MSP
Provides great coverage and performance

What is our primary use case?

We implemented a WiFi network, with the idea to replace the wired network.

How has it helped my organization?

The deploy of Ruckus wireless brought us improvements in coverage and faster wifi.

What is most valuable?

The Beamflex technology optimize the coverage and improves the signal quality.

What needs improvement?

Asset tracking

For the two years

Stability is very good. We haven´t had problems with the services since its implemented.

Very good

Yes, and we decide to change for Ruckus, looking for a improvement in the wifi…

What is our primary use case?

We implemented a WiFi network, with the idea to replace the wired network.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The Beamflex technology optimize the coverage and improves the signal quality.

What needs improvement?

Asset tracking

For the two years

Very good

Yes, and we decide to change for Ruckus, looking for a improvement in the wifi service

The setup was relatively straightforward. The SmartZone Wireless Controller, incorporates a  graphical management interface that made easy the deploy

We implement in-house

Ruckus has a wide family of Wi-Fi equipment. It is important to understand the needs and what is the correct model of equipment that covers them.

yes, Cisco

WW
DevOps System Engineer at Monash University
Scalable and easy to install with good tech support

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a wifi, wireless solution for connecting to the gateway router.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more stable.

I have been using Ruckus Wireless WAN for a couple of years.

While the solution is stable, this could stand improvement.

The solution is scalable.

Tech support is good.

The solution is easy to install it. This process took around five minutes.

The installation can be done on one's own with zero touch configuration. There are five…

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a wifi, wireless solution for connecting to the gateway router.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more stable.

I have been using Ruckus Wireless WAN for a couple of years.

While the solution is stable, this could stand improvement.

The solution is scalable.

Tech support is good.

The solution is easy to install it. This process took around five minutes.

The installation can be done on one's own with zero touch configuration.

There are five engineers who are responsible for the deploment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I am a Ruckus consultant.

The solution is sufficiently secure and easy to use.

We have many customers making use of the solution, perhaps 100 or 1,000.

I rate Ruckus Wireless WAN as an eight out of ten.

AK
Video conferencing Admin at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stability and scalability needs improvement, but priced well

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for networks in school campuses, distribution sites, and small offices.

What is most valuable?

The solution is suitable for many types of environments, such as small businesses.

I have been using this solution within the last 12 months.

I would not consider this solution to be stable.

The solution is not scalable.

There is a license required for this solution.  Here in India, Ruckus is chosen often because it is priced low.

I have evaluated other solutions.

What

What is most valuable?

I have been using this solution within the last 12 months.

I would not consider this solution to be stable.

The solution is not scalable.

There is a license required for this solution.

Here in India, Ruckus is chosen often because it is priced low.

I have evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution.

I rate Ruckus Wireless WAN a five out of ten.

Product Categories
Wireless WAN
Download our free Wireless WAN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Ruckus, Ubiquiti Networks, Cambium Networks, and more!