Ruckus Wireless WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ruckus Wireless WAN is #2 ranked solution in top Wireless WAN tools. IT Central Station users give Ruckus Wireless WAN an average rating of 8 out of 10. Ruckus Wireless WAN is most commonly compared to Ubiquiti Wireless:Ruckus Wireless WAN vs Ubiquiti Wireless. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 37% of all views.
What is Ruckus Wireless WAN?

The Ruckus product portfolio of Wi-Fi, switching, IoT, LTE, software and SaaS lets you deliver a great end-user connectivity experience while reducing the amount of time you spend managing the network. And because Ruckus packs more capability into every network element, you can build that network at a lower cost per connection.

Whether your users are employees, customers, guests, residents, students, visitors, fans, or subscribers, Ruckus products are designed to enhance their experience—and yours.

Download the Wireless WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Ruckus Wireless WAN Customers

American University of Sharjah, Dordt College, Drew University, Lamar University, Raroa School

Ruckus Wireless WAN Video

Archived Ruckus Wireless WAN Reviews (more than two years old)

IJ
Senior Engineer at TIC
A straightforward initial setup that's stable and offers good wireless management

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and offers good management for wireless.

What needs improvement?

The overall management of the solution in general needs improvement. The solution could use a better user interface.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

It is scalable. For our clients, the amount of users on the solution range between five and 20.

Technical support is okay.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took us about two days.

We occasionally…

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and offers good management for wireless.

What needs improvement?

The overall management of the solution in general needs improvement.

The solution could use a better user interface.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

Technical support is okay.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took us about two days.

We occasionally have a consultant that assists us with implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller for small and medium-sized companies. We use the public cloud deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution for those who need wireless capabilities.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

WK
Technical Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Good scalability but it takes time for support to reply

What needs improvement?

The support could be faster. It takes time for them to reply. I also think the solution should be more user friendly.

We've been using this solution for a year and a half.

It is stable.

The deployment access in the local system is about 200 access points. External access points are more. The number is huge. There about 1,000 users in total.

I would rate the technical support as seven or seven and a half out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

What needs improvement?

The support could be faster. It takes time for them to reply.

I also think the solution should be more user friendly.

We've been using this solution for a year and a half.

It is stable.

I would rate the technical support as seven or seven and a half out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution, but we have some distrust since working with Cisco. Some users may have had a problem and some haven't.

I would rate the solution overall as about seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Ruckus, Ubiquiti Networks, Cambium Networks and others in Wireless WAN. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MA
Sr. Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great management features and easy to set up

• "The feature I like most, is the product activity."
  • "I would like to see built-in Wi-Fi."

What is most valuable?

The feature I like most is the product activity. This is a technology-orientated product and the management features are awesome as compared to other products. I like the management, control, access points, plane, data plane, and complete Wi-Fi productivity if offers.

What needs improvement?

Most vendors offer built-in Wi-Fi. So from this point of view, I would like to see built-in Wi-Fi with this solution also, so that we can save money by not having to buy two different components. I would also like to see built-in firewalls.

One thing about Ruckus products is that you have documentation based on the scenarios. All the documentation features are explained well, so when you try to figure out some examples or scenarios, you have multiple scenarios and snapshots to follow so that you can build your own setup. I didn't find that kind of documentation with this solution from Ruckus. For the switches perspective as well as the Wi-Fi perspective. The documentation from other vendors like Huawei, Cisco, Aruba are very unique. What they do, is to start with the technology, and then they explain everything to you step by step. Then they give some scenario examples.

Another thing that Ruckus lacks, is the certification part. They have very basic online exams but not expert level exams. I would like to be able to do a very professional career-based program with Ruckus.

The last thing that needs to improve, is to have direct contact with a support engineer if one has technical issues.

I have been using the solution for two years.

It is a perfect, reliable product. As soon as it was deployed, it worked well and we didn't have any issues with it. The management of the solution is very easy.

I signed up for a total of 1000 users, as the companies that we deploy for, are either small, medium or enterprise businesses. So far the solution has been scalable.

I'm totally satisfied with the technical support. They're very responsive. One thing that can be improved, is that whenever I need to contact the engineer, there is no contact. I have an open case with the Ruckus team so I must be able to contact an operator or someone in online chat. At this stage, they only do a proxy for us. They just take our information and then they talk to the engineers directly. Then they come back to us whenever they are available. Sometimes we need immediate support, so we would like to have direct communication. I have noticed this and some of our customers also complain about that.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

In the next release, I would like to see a better and easier firewall for proper scanning of our network analyzer. At this stage, it is analyzing my complete traffic on the protocol level and then I have to analyze and spend a lot of time to understand my existing traffic flow. So it is very time-consuming. On a scale from one to 10, I rate it a 10 out of 10. This solution is a complete product and the best product out there.

PS
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good dashboards, performance, and efficiency in the RF spectrum

• "The performance of this solution is amazing in terms of radiofrequency technology."
  • "The captive portal should be more customizable because right now, it is very limited."

What is our primary use case?

We supply this solution to provide our clients with wireless network support.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Ruckus is not keeping up with the features that some of the competitors have implemented.

Compared to other vendors, the analytics has to improve a lot.

We would like to see support for different captive portals with the basic solution.

The captive portal should be more customizable because right now, it is very limited. You can only change the icon. The market is asking for more improved captive portals.

Support for multiple tenants or multiple users with ZoneDirector would be an improvement.

We have been working with this solution for seven or eight years.

This is a stable solution.

We are comfortable with the scalability. We have no complaints.

The technical support for this solution is good. We have email access to the platform.

We used another solution prior to this one, but we switched because of the radio. That's our biggest concern and why we recommend Ruckus to our customers.

The initial setup of this solution is pretty easy.

What other advice do I have?

This technology is really good.

This is a solution that I recommend, but there are a lot of features that they have to get into the solution. However, the first and main topic is the radio and efficiency in the spectrum.

If the customer wants additional features or the budget is a concern then we will recommend another solution.

Abubaker Musa
Information and Communication Technologies Engineer at Ascenx Technologies
Easy to install, Stable Wireless connection, but marketing needs to expand to other areas

• "I made some comparisons with other competitors and I found that Ruckus was number one in regards to stability."
  • "I have some friends who have not heard of Ruckus, but are aware of other competitors."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used in our hotel as an access point to connect our guests on the internet.

The deployment model we used is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the indoor and outdoor wireless access points.

What needs improvement?

I hope that they will be expanding the market. I have some friends who have not heard of Ruckus but are aware of other competitors. They should expand it in the Middle East and other areas and make offers for others to make comparisons.

I would like to see more offers for smaller businesses.

I have been using this solution for one year.

This solution is stable.

You could have two hundred or more users. Cisco has a higher capability of users, they can have about five hundred users.

They have no problems with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I took some training beforehand and the setup was easy, it is not as complicated as others.

This solution offers a yearly subscription. The price is not high and other solutions are much higher than Ruckus.

I made some comparisons with other competitors and I found that Ruckus was number one in regards to stability.

What other advice do I have?

I really like this solution and it is recognized here in Riyadh Airport, most of the WiFi is with Ruckus, not with Cisco or any other solution.

One of the largest Airports in Saudi Arabia is using the Ruckus Wireless WiFi as an access point. It means it's a genuine, reliable solution.

In Saudi Arabia we have a lot of outdoor WiFi and it's recognized through Ruckus, Cisco and sometimes Linksys.

Unfortunately, at work, they are using Linksys. I am an IT engineer and I have used Ruckus as a WiFi access point for all of the hotels. It can be connected directly to the wireless access controller and making this a firewall for the DMZ and the client just enters the WiFi with a password.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

FE
Network Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good analytics and works well in a hospitality solution

• "The analytic solution is good and should be improving further."
  • "This product needs a point-to-point, bridge solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our customers.

This solution works best as a high-efficiently access point in high-density areas.

How has it helped my organization?

Ruckus works very well for hospitality solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the software infrastructure.

The analytic solution is good and should be improving further.

What needs improvement?

The technical support for this solution needs to be improved.

This product needs a point-to-point, bridge solution. The network access controls should be improved.

The Cloudpath feature should be improved.

We have been using this solution since 2011.

This solution is very stable in my opinion.

Ruckus technical support was the best when compared to others, such as Cisco.

When you have an issue you are chatting with an engineer. They are also able to connect remotely, and it doesn't matter if you are a technical person, or not. They take you through the process step-by-step and they get to the issue.

However, lately, the quality of support has been decreasing, so this needs to be improved. The problem is that the first engineer you speak with for support has less experience. The first one that you speak to can be a little bit better.

Overall, I would rate their support a seven or eight out of ten.

I have had experience with a lot of different brands over the past fifteen years.

Ruckus still has some work to do if they want to compete with Aruba and Cisco, except in the case of a high-efficiency access point in high-density areas, which is where Ruckus is the best.

The initial setup and configuration of this solution are easy. Ruckus is the easiest vendor in the market.

I am impressed with the point-to-point bridge solution that is offered by Cambium networks.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, Ruckus is the best wireless company. They have recently joined forces with CommScope, and are facing some positive changes because of it.

Overall, this solution is ok and one that I recommend.

MashukThakur
Senior Wireless Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Good performance, data throughput, reliability, and technical support

• "The performance is very nice, the throughput is better than any other product, and it's reliable."
  • "The pricing needs to be reconsidered because it's expensive."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is wireless networking for small businesses.

What is most valuable?

On the technical side, it is very easy to troubleshoot. I am working with an ISP and we provide the service to the customers and we monitor it for troubleshooting tasks. Ruckus is much easier than other products.

I have checked with other vendors and for a cloud-based service, Ruckus the fastest and the easiest.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs to be reconsidered because it's expensive.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

The support is good. It is not a problem to open a ticket with Ruckus for Technical Support.

I have been in this field for fifteen years. At first, I started with Cisco then to Aruba, and in the last three years, I started working with Ruckus.

I am frequently working with these three products, and as recent as last week, I have started with Fortinet.

The initial setup is very nice and it's straightforward.

The solution is a little pricey, so customers sometimes select other products because of the price.

They have other cheaper models, but compared to other cheaper solutions it is not the best.

What other advice do I have?

I will always ask customers first if they have a specific vendor in mind and if they say no, then I always refer them to the Ruckus solution because of the technical aspects.

I am not involved in sales or the pricing but it's expensive.

It has very good speed, for the current user, the quantity is more. Ruckus is the first vendor who has declared access by live access points.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Wireless WAN
Download our free Wireless WAN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Ruckus, Ubiquiti Networks, Cambium Networks, and more!