Ruckus Wireless OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ruckus Wireless is #3 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. IT Central Station users give Ruckus Wireless an average rating of 8 out of 10. Ruckus Wireless is most commonly compared to Aruba Wireless:Ruckus Wireless vs Aruba Wireless. Ruckus Wireless is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 34% of all views.
What is Ruckus Wireless?
The Virtual SmartZone Data Plane (vSZ-D) is a wireless LAN data plane appliance in a virtualized form factor. Made to work seamlessly with the Ruckus Virtual SmartZone Wireless LAN Controller (vSZ), the vSZ-D enables secure tunneled WLANs from Ruckus APs while minimizing CAPEX spending and maximizing Wi-Fi deployment flexibility and scale. Operators, ISPs and large enterprises can deploy the vSZ-D in a centralized data center with the vSZ, or at specific venues in a distributed topology.
Ruckus Wireless Buyer's Guide

Download the Ruckus Wireless Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Ruckus Wireless Customers
American University of Sharjah, Baruch College, Centro Escolar Liceo Santo Tomšs, Chevalier College, Chico Unified School District, Colegio de Fomento El Prado, Columbia Public Schools, Delta School District, Dordt College, Douglas County School District, Drew University, Armonea, Central Utah Clinic, Grove Hill Medical Center, Inner South Community Health Service, Midwest Surgical, Satilla Regional Medical Center, Lyndoch Living, Polonus, Roaring Fork School District, Sonora State, Vivid, Sydney, Players Club, Sandals, Scandic Hotels, Sheraton LAX, Sunbird
Ruckus Wireless Video

Archived Ruckus Wireless Reviews (more than two years old)

Fabio Focking
Senior Network Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to deploy better Wi-Fi coverage but lacks cloud-based management

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is in a higher education institution.

How has it helped my organization?

Ruckus has allowed us to deploy better Wi-Fi coverage in the past few years. Our students have had a better user experience.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Wi-Fi coverage that it has offered since early in our project.

What needs improvement?

One complaint that we have is the lack of cloud-based management. Due to the price of a controller, renewing the solution had become expensive.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is in a higher education institution.

RM
student at Westcon
MSP
Adaptive Antenna Technology Provides Enhanced Wireless Connectivity

• "The most valuable feature is the signature feature from Ruckus; the feature is called the BeamFlex. BeamFlex adaptive antenna technology takes a more adaptable approach allowing the access point to continually sense and optimize for its environment. The signals can be sent in a particular predetermined direction as desired. The technology allows for electrically manipulated antenna properties creating optimal antenna patterns for each device with which they communicated: the signal is focused, where the user is positioning."
  • "The biggest adjustment improvement will come from a price adjustment because the price is quite high; it feels like premium pricing. I suggest shaving off 10 percent to 20 percent. That would help grow users and increase the number of clients."

What is our primary use case?

I sell this solution to customers so that they can achieve their wired and wireless networking equipment and software tools to meet their needs. We are a networking company that focuses entirely on network solutions, such as switching, switch Layer 2, 3, Wi-Fi allowing access points, cloud and software products to mobile carriers, broadband service providers, and corporate enterprises. I sell to the hospitality industry.

How has it helped my organization?

The BeamFlex Adaptive Antenna Technology feature allows the client user to have a more reliable throughput and connectivity for their daily access point usage. This provides clients with a good continuous signal. There are no throughput issues with their WiFi connectivity. Their WiFi is quite stable now. If a client wants to connect to the internet or set up a LAN over the wireless network, everything runs well for them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the signature feature from Ruckus; the feature is called the BeamFlex. BeamFlex adaptive antenna technology takes a more adaptable approach allowing the access point to continually sense and optimize for its environment. The signals can be sent in a particular predetermined direction as desired. The technology allows for electrically manipulated antenna properties creating optimal antenna patterns for each device with which they communicated: the signal is focused, where the user is positioning.

What needs improvement?

The biggest adjustment improvement will come from a price adjustment because the price is quite high; it feels like premium pricing. I suggest shaving off 10 percent to 20 percent. That would help grow users and increase the number of clients.

I'd also like to see some sort of product costing and billing ability. Because not all of the users have their own producer version. We can take care of this on our end. Once we are able to bill clients for this service I think deployment will potentially go smoother.

Three to five years.

The solution is very stable. I've been quite impressed because the product is really, really good on the CLT among other things. The tool responds very well during deployment and it's adaptability is excellent when it's being used.

I'm quite impressed with the scalability. The solution can be deployed from a single SMB protocol dialect to a large number of users. The functionality is especially impressive when you have thousands of end users that you need to deploy to and the tool can support that level of functionality. It really doesn't matter the size of the enterprise from small, to medium, and large organizations the tool is equipped to handle them all.

Just as an example of the scalability of this product Google here in Indonesia used this solution to provide WiFi in remote locations. Last year the Asian Games were held here and several stadiums used this tool as their access point.

Technical support is also great. They have a portal and you can ask for open tickets. They offer a lot of options there and they also have a service provider here in Indonesia so you can meet the Principal. You are able to ask them directly or you can even direct them to your user. The support is quite good.

Our clients used several brands prior to making the change such as Cisco, HP network, and Dell EMC network as well. They changed to Ruckus because they didn't feel satisfied with the product they were currently using. The majority of the problems stemmed from access point issues; the access point offer through these brands wasn't adaptable and compatible with their needs.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. There is an initial need to arrange a lot of the setup on the user side such as setting up the controller and setting up the access point, but all in all, things are straightforward.

Deployment depends largely on project size. If you are talking about a small office, using ten to twenty access points could take between one to two weeks. We provide the initial setup, then we set up the controller and all the access points. When the unit is in place that's it for us on the client end. The only thing left is to set up the back end; the controller to connect to the user's network.

The work is managed by engineers and technicians.

I've used serval integrators for deploying the solution. I used one of the best integrators here in the nation called GIF. They are the biggest integrator solution partner for hospitality in South East Asia. I can recommend them.

The pricing is quite expensive. If you were to compare the solution, license, and pricing with another brand, I think Ruckus still have the most competitive pricing cost per feature rate among them all. For instance, drawing comparisons with similar products offered through HP or Dell EMC, Ruckus' price reasonable.

The licensing is great; it's more flexible than the other brands as well. For example, we can buy the license for upgrading the controller on an as needed basis. The other brands don't offer this option.

Before settling on Ruckus we evaluated every big tender. One of our main competitors is the HP network, as well as Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

The setup is straightforward. Our company goes to the client's location. We set up the POC for the client. Then we pass the throughput so that our access point can communicate with the provider and in with the POC, we can tell the access point through Ruckus is preferential.

I recommend finding a good system integration partner to assist with the job. If you don't, the strategy for deployment becomes confusing and the result can be disappointing.

I rate this product a strong 9 out of 10! The product is excellent, the support is very good, the hardware is good, and the software powering the hardware is also very good.

Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Barry Walton
Director, Client Technologies and Internal Systems at Sparks
Enables us to give our internal employees the ability to access our internal resources while giving our visitors access to a guest version of the network

• "Once we got it set up and configured we've had little issues and it's been relatively stable. We use it across all seven of our offices and they all have the exact same wifi setup so when I go into any office I can get on the network and access resources."
  • "o make it a ten I would like the ability to replace it if we do have a faulty device. Getting one faster might be helpful. I would like to have autoconfiguration where instead of having to configure a new network, we would be able to push all configuration out a little easier with the interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use Ruckus Wireless to provide wireless access to our employees and our clients in our offices. It works fine.

How has it helped my organization?

The multiple network access has improved my organization. It gives visitors the functionality so they can check their own networks and their VPNs and browse the internet. At the same time, it gives our employees the ability to go unplugged instead of having to be hardwired to access network resources.

What is most valuable?

The ability to have multiple wireless networks with different settings is the most valuable feature. We can give our internal employees the ability to access our internal resources while giving our visitors access to a guest version of the network which only gives them access to the internet but they can't connect to any of our internal resources.

It is very stable, it runs with no problem.

We use it in all of our offices, it scales fine. We have central control of all the offices that they all have the exact same wifi configuration that we can manage centrally.

We switched because we needed something that was a little more empire scale instead of little small hotspots located all around different wireless networks at different offices. Our people are always asking to connect and want to expand the capability of giving guests access to the internet while still protecting the infrastructure.

The first criteria we consider when considering a solution is responsiveness. They should also have good customer service and support team. We consider the stability of the platform and make sure that it's going to work and serve with minimal issues.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. My network guy ]is the one to test it and he did the setup and got it up and running pretty quickly. He switched out our old system with multiple access points all around pretty quickly.

We also looked at Cisco and Aruba but Ruckus pricing was better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. To make it a ten I would like the ability to replace it if we do have a faulty device. Getting one faster might be helpful. I would like to have autoconfiguration where instead of having to configure a new network, we would be able to push all configuration out a little easier with the interface.

MK
Managing Director at Biometrics.BD Limited

• "We used to struggle a lot doing the connectivity between the branch offices in port. Ruckus offers the flexibility to pull the connectivity and we can actually manage our workflow and application to this connectivity. It is a wonderful way of doing things fast."
  • "From the user point of view, sometimes we face a little bit of a challenge in terms of the channels selection for Ruckus. When we have installed all of the APs outdoors, those channels are actually empty in different numbers, so sometimes we found this challenging for getting paired between these point to point communications. If there is any way we can get some proprietary channels or some IT this interruption will not be there. That would be really fantastic for more reliable connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

We had to install it to some port areas and in some hospitals. In terms of mobility and reliability, we found these products are very good. Their downtime is really low.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to struggle a lot doing the connectivity between the branch offices in port. Ruckus offers the flexibility to pull the connectivity and we can actually manage our workflow and application to this connectivity. It is a wonderful way of doing things fast.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is the mobility. The transfer of credentials between the wireless APs is absolutely uninterrupted. It is also really reliable in terms of the peer-to-peer connectivity.

Three to five years.

It's stable. There were a few incidents which were actually not related to the hardware or power loss.

One of the reasons we actually moved from Juniper to say Ruckus was to avoid a future stoppage.

We are partners with Fortinet and Juniper so we have gone through their product lines. The reason we chose Ruckus is because from the very beginning we found these companies only worked on wireless.

The initial setup was complex because we were doing it for some restricted areas with some specialized applications. On the other hand, the customer is also quite sensitive in terms of security because that's an essential part.

We found it a little more expensive than the other competitors on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten because of how stable it is, the easy integration, and their maintenance. It was quite stable and we can easily scale up our installation. The integration is quite easy for now, and we already have implemented all the challenging applications and challenging environments.

Stability is something that's very important, then mobility you have to check, nowadays  Ruckus is mostly used for the enterprise-class, it's not a retail product. The climate is very important for wireless where you have quite a number of APs. If you don't have good mobility, you might not be able to enjoy the usefulness of this wireless technology.

MT
Network Services Coordinator at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Adaptive antenna arrays allow for excellent performance in challenging environments

What is our primary use case?

• Wireless platform for user and medical production devices throughout the enterprise
  • Also serves guests wirelessly.

How has it helped my organization?

Better AP capabilities in tough RF environment. We upgraded from a Cisco wireless network and saw a marked improvement. Near flawless VoWiFi using Spectralink phones.

What is most valuable?

Adaptive antenna arrays (and corresponding algorithms) allow for excellent performance in challenging environments.

What needs improvement?

It's always good to have more analytics and reporting right on the controller when possible. However, Ruckus already has pretty good capabilities in that area as well as an excellent big data analytics engine with SmartCell Insight.

Jinse Jose
Presales & Project Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The connectivity of the product is amazing.

What is our primary use case?

It is helpful with our performance and keeping the client connected with the axis point. The connectivity of the product is amazing.

What is most valuable?

The connectivity is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I suggest more controlling features on the controller. The menu of the performance must be improved, as well.

There are no issues with stability of the product.

I have not used technical support.

We have prior experience with Aruba Wireless.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The connectivity is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

There are no issues with stability of the product.

I have not used technical support.

We have prior experience with Aruba Wireless.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a service provider.
Rai Kashif Jahangir
IT Manager at SIMPEXBPO
It has one of the smoothest operations, but it is too costly

What is our primary use case?

We use and deploy it to provide internet access to our corporate users, walk-in guests, and sites users.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is extremely useful, but too costly. Most customers revoke the idea of deploying it when they observe the cost per AP license.

What is most valuable?

The product is very reliable.  It has a great response. It has one of the smoothest operations.

What needs improvement?

It is too costly.

Less than one year.

The cost per AP license should be worked on.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• The product is very reliable.
  • It has a great response.
  • It has one of the smoothest operations.

What needs improvement?

It is too costly.

Less than one year.

The cost per AP license should be worked on.

Braden Timmermann
Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Analytics on ZoneDirectors allow us to quickly identify clients taking too much bandwidth

• "Dead zones were immediately eliminated when we deployed these WAPs in all of our locations, plus Ruckus’ analytics on the ZoneDirectors allow us to quickly identify clients that are taking too much bandwidth."
  • "We are able to quickly identify Rogue WAPs in our network and move to disconnect them immediately when Ruckus alerts us."
  • "Ruckus WAPs have excellent coverage and their beamforming means that we can cover more area with fewer WAPs."
  • "At times of heavy network congestion, we can restrict the bandwidth available to clients either by SSID or at the client level, which helps cut down on our bandwidth costs."

What is our primary use case?

We have Ruckus ZoneDirectors and WAPs in all of our facilities. We have one ZoneDirector 1200 and three ZoneDirector 3000s spread across our facilities geographically, all running the latest firmware (10.1.1.0 Build 26). The ZoneDirectors are controlling a total of 48 WAPs.

How has it helped my organization?

We also had a plant where the fiber link between switches broke without warning a few months ago. The Ruckus WAPs immediately recognized the network outage and put themselves into bridge mode to bring the network back up over the WiFi link. It was so seamless we didn’t catch the fiber outage for almost 24 hours.

It also enabled us to quickly roll out RADIUS authentication for our internal company network and eliminate shared WPA keys which all of our plants were using previously.

What is most valuable?

Ruckus makes securing your wireless network as easy as a few clicks. For a basic installation, even someone without advanced IT skills could set up this system without assistance.

What needs improvement?

The only complaint I have about Ruckus is the price, but considering other enterprise WiFi products are similarly priced, I feel Ruckus is a superior product I don’t have much to complain about. The latest ZoneDirector firmware addressed all of the tiny issues I hated in older releases.

Three to five years.

We have never had a WAP fail in the four years we’ve been using Ruckus in the enterprise; the reliability is top-notch.

Bill Sheeler
    Director Of Technical Operations at GT Church
    Our internal SSID/VLAN has better security due to the use of Zero-IT​

What is our primary use case?

We are a church with an average weekend attendance of 3000. We use our Ruckus Wireless for our people to access the bible during services, as well as provide online access, etc. We use it daily for our staff of more than 50 users, as well as our Rock RMS Church Management System check-in (which we use iPads and some PCs for - most are WiFi).

How has it helped my organization?

There is better security on our internal SSID/VLAN due to the use of Zero-IT.

What is most valuable?

Zero-IT: It is easier to get people connected to the correct SSID without providing a passphrase.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be mobile friendly.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

We have replaced…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

There is better security on our internal SSID/VLAN due to the use of Zero-IT.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface should be mobile friendly.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

We have replaced some EOL access points this past year with newer AC capable devices.

it_user842955
    President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Allows us to deploy systems and not deal as much with support, because it just works

• "I think that Web management, global management, could be improved. Unfortunately, there's not one solution that does everything. There are something like six different solutions, and each of them do something better than the others. Unfortunately, there's not one global solution that does everything."
      • "Mounting options for outdoor access points, I think they could easily improve on that."

What is our primary use case?

Mainly for large, residential home automation systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to deploy systems and not deal as much with support, because it just works.

What is most valuable?

• It's reliable.
      • The company is amazing - the support and service are amazing.
      • It outperforms anything else on the market.
      • It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I think that Web management, global management, could be improved. Unfortunately, there's not one solution that does everything. There are something like six different solutions, and each of them do something better than the others.

Very stable.

Not at all. Scalability is one of the things that they excel at, beyond everybody else.

It depends. It's hard for us to say because we have a very close relationship with them, so we have back-channel access to their top people. In fact, we're the first ever gold service partner, so we basically are the support now. For any systems that we sell, we're the direct support for that product.

I think if you're a new person starting out, you can get close relationships with the local sales engineers, which is great. When I first started, the first time I even looked at the product, a sales engineer met me out in the field, took some demo gear, put it up, showed me everything. Even within that first year, I had an engineer walk three high-rise courthouses for Miami Dade County; walked every single floor with me. I was a new partner and they did that for me, which is amazing.

I think the phone support is okay, if you're just a regular partner. And it works. I would say if somebody got to know their local rep, that would be the best way to get help if you really need it in a bind.

We used to use Cisco's enterprise wireless, but I kept hearing about Ruckus and I just couldn't believe that some upstart company was better than Cisco. Once we started using it, we saw that it outperformed Cisco and, on top of that, the difference in configuration between Cisco and Ruckus is night and day. Cisco is a pain to configure, where Ruckus is pretty much already set up out of the box. There are a few tweaks here or there, but the configuration time is 10 times faster with Ruckus versus Cisco.

An engineer met me out in the field, put some gear up, and it just blew the Cisco away. And it was just so much easier to configure, that it was a no-brainer. It was cheaper. We had better coverage, it was more reliable, it was faster, and it was easier to configure. It's one of the best companies I've ever dealt with in my life. I have nothing but good things to say about them, which is the only reason I'm doing this review, because I think they deserve it.

It's very straightforward.

It's definitely a good value. It's more expensive than some of the other offerings out there, but when you compare it to other enterprise-class gear, it's very well priced. And the beauty of it is, because it has better range because of their patented BeamFlex - which is the way they can send and receive and listen to signals - you can actually use fewer access points. That means that it's a cheaper overall project.

Aruba, Meraki - and this was Meraki before Cisco, at the time. But since then we always look to see what else is out there, see if something's better, and so far we haven't found anything. Once something better comes along, we'll use it because we only want to use the best for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

Don't wait, do it now.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Gold service partner.
      KH
      Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Central admin provides quick views, from number of clients online to signal/noise readings

• "The list of options you have is great: throttling guest networks, the controller dashboards for administration, on-the-fly configuring, settings, hours of use."
      • "The most valuable is the central administration. Provides quick views of activity, from the number of clients online to signal and noise readings."
      • "The cloud controller needs work. My big issue is that all APs can't set static IPs. Also, adding customers to your dashboard is not that easy at all. I wish I could pop out some reporting from the dashboards as well."

What is our primary use case?

SMB is what we have been using Ruckus for. We have a few clients with multiple buildings and/or larger campuses that this works great with. We have deployed the outdoor APs as well and they are solid devices, especially in our hot summers in Texas.

How has it helped my organization?

It really is almost a set-it-and-forget-it solution. Our helpdesk guys can easily administrate it if needed, and troubleshoot with minimal training. Along with our documenting and naming schemes for APs and locations of devices, finding and correcting issues is easy, but rare.

What is most valuable?

The list of options you have is great:

• throttling guest networks
      • the controller dashboards for administration
      • on-the-fly configuring, settings, hours of use, etc.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

The Unleashed is a 10 out of 10. It's a great price point to push with our smaller clients and still provides top-notch coverage and features. I am not a big fan of the hosted cloud controller, 5 for that.

Justin Jahn
      Information Technology Manager
      Virtual SmartZone appliance provides better performance at longer ranges

• "Our IT staff can quickly issue guest passes for vendors and the instructions are very straightforward, requiring very little effort to get connected."
      • "Provides us with the features we need: walled garden, client isolation, 802.1x with dynamic VLAN, guest passes, etc."
      • "While the Virtual SmartZone appliance has improved in the last few years, it isn’t without issue and the performance of the Web page leaves something to be desired."
      • "Ruckus seems to have removed the built-in help from the appliance, urging the user to log on to the support web site to obtain it. This is simply a nuisance if one wishes to look up what a particular field on the configuration page does, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We are a Credit Union with over 100 employees. We utilize the Ruckus Virtual SmartZone appliance and about 25 R600 access points to provide a secure wireless solution across five branch locations. The Ruckus solution is used as a guest network for third-party vendors while onsite, as well as by staff members to access corporate data.

How has it helped my organization?

With a quality enterprise wireless solution, our employees are more mobile than ever. They experience significantly better performance at longer ranges with the R500 access points, compared with our previous wireless solution. Information Technology staff can quickly issue guest passes for vendors and the instructions are very straightforward, requiring very little effort to get connected.

What is most valuable?

Our staff maintain a wide gamut of products and we needed a wireless solution that works reliably and has all of the features we needed (walled garden, client isolation, 802.1x with dynamic VLAN, guest passes, etc.) at a cost that wouldn’t break the bank (literally). The quality of the hardware and low cost of maintenance are primary driving factors, and Ruckus exceeds in this space by providing great hardware and a low annual operating expense.

The Virtual SmartZone appliance is easy to use and quick to deploy, which helps to ensure our staff is focused on actionable results instead of constantly fiddling with wireless configuration or contacting support to resolve troublesome issues.

What needs improvement?

Additionally, Ruckus seems to have removed the built-in help from the appliance, urging the user to log on to the support web site to obtain it. This is simply a nuisance if one wishes to look up what a particular field on the configuration page does, for example.

it_user841143
      User at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Give us integrated WiFi client performance tools and advanced user access controls

What is our primary use case?

We are using Ruckus Wireless in different Zomato corporate offices (restaurant search and discovery service). We are using ZoneDirector 1200 and ZoneDirector 3000 with ruckus APs (R600, R700, R300).

How has it helped my organization?

Before Ruckus we had to buy additional devices for client performance and monitoring, but now we can do all such monitoring and improve our client performance.

What is most valuable?

Integrated WiFi client performance tools Sophisticated user access controls Easy and understandable controls and interfaces

What needs improvement?

APs should be more adaptable to denser client regions and, most important, the logs on the ZoneDirector should be classified into groups, such as type of logs and alerts.

For how long

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Integrated WiFi client performance tools
      • Sophisticated user access controls
      • Easy and understandable controls and interfaces

it_user840210
      President/Owner
      Reseller
      ​BeamFlex works well in changing environments, bouncing WiFi signals around obstacles​

• "​BeamFlex works great in changing environments by bouncing WiFi signals around obstacles​."
      • "​They need more products in the lower-end range for smaller clients​."

What is our primary use case?

We are a Ruckus Big Dog reseller. We sell and install into small retail shops that want to market their free public WiFi hotspot, manufacturing environments where new obstacles are constantly introduced, offices that need LAN-like WiFi, hotels, and event centers that need high capacity installations with 200-500 people per AP.

How has it helped my organization?

It requires very little maintenance (unlike competitive products we have sold) and provides a consistently great WiFi environment.

What is most valuable?

BeamFlex works great in changing environments by bouncing WiFi signals around obstacles.

What needs improvement?

They need more products in the lower-end range for smaller clients.

More than five years.

Very stable. We have this in very dense environments (like stadiums and manufacturing floors). The only issue we had is that Apple devices hate band-steering so you should setup separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs.

No issues with scalability. The product scales very well and eliminates co-channel interference. Very easy to add licenses to the controller to scale larger or add redundant controllers.

Technical support is about a seven out of 10.  Not bad, but not wow. Better than most. We don’t need support often.

• Cisco enterprise - expensive and complicated, more APs needed to cover an area.
      • HPE Colubris - unreliable.

Pretty straightforward, if you know what you’re doing with wireless. The only thing that is tricky is understanding that the controller does not get installed on a trunk port (different than most other solutions).

Pricing is very competitive for an enterprise solution.

Licensing: Always carry the support contract on the controller (not needed on APs).

Just about everything out there. It was between Ruckus and Aerohive, but ultimately, Ruckus BeamFlex performed better with our testing (fewer APs needed, worked around obstacles in changing warehouse environments, supported high density).

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product, excellent technology that requires fewer access points than competitors, it's easy to manage, and cost competitive (compared with other enterprise WiFi solutions).

Try it by using the virtual controller or the unleashed product (controller equivalent on an AP).

it_user840216
      User at a training & coaching company with 501-1,000 employees
      It resulted in 100% up time on our network

• "It ensured our Internet service was always up, allowing us to serve our customers 24/7."
      • "We rarely had access points fail in the field. They were rock solid, durable, and had the best signal penetration from any we tested.​"

What is our primary use case?

I was an executive with a managed services company specializing in high density WiFi deployments. We designed, installed, and managed wired and wireless networks primarily in student housing environments. This included apartment style housing and dormitory housing. Many of our installations were cinder block and steel constructions with known WiFi inhibitors.

How has it helped my organization?

As a tech company, we used Ruckus in our own internal system which resulted in 100% up time on our network. This ensured our Internet service was always up, allowing us to serve our customers 24/7.

What is most valuable?

Reliability. We rarely had access points fail in the field. They were rock solid, durable, and had the best signal penetration from any we tested.

What needs improvement?

The cost can be prohibitive for many as it is a high-end product in the WiFi market.

Three to five years.

We thoroughly tested every wireless access point on the market to ensure the success of our deployments. We intentionally selected Ruckus Wireless as our product of choice due to its robust capabilities, antennae array, ZoneDirector controller system, and support. While they were not the cheapest products on the market, they were ideally designed for the harsh WiFi conditions in which we needed them to function.

it_user817887
        Lead Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
        User
        ​Tremendous throughput and easy installation, configuration, and monitoring

• "​Tremendous throughput and easy installation, configuration, and monitoring."
        • "Comprehensive availability and performance of monitoring and reporting for WISP network monitor."
        • "Analyzes real-time, in-depth network performance."
        • "The Ruckus Location-Based Services​ (LBS) Solution is the highlight that enables businesses to enhance the way of interaction with their customers on the basis of precise location."
        • "I would like to see more detailed network performance, monitoring, and reporting tools or information. This would improve the deployment of multi-site networks and help administrators to progress on a timely efficient manner."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the wireless ISP business. Among others, we deploy Ruckus Wireless equipment on several sites of our backbone and backhaul network. Performance and quality of Ruckus Wireless APs and switches is more than satisfying.

How has it helped my organization?

• Tremendous throughput and easy installation, configuration, and monitoring.
        • Comprehensive availability and performance of monitoring and reporting for WISP network monitor.
        • Analyzes real-time, in-depth network performance.

What is most valuable?

Wi-Fi with more than basic connectivity to improve operational efficiency and engage customers. The Ruckus Location-Based Services (LBS) Solution is the highlight that enables businesses to enhance the way of interaction with their customers on the basis of precise location.

Product Categories
        Wireless LAN
        Download our free Ruckus Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.