LE
BG lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Very stable, has all the features, works well, and useful for tracking activities and opportunities

• "The activities, opportunities, follow-up of the opportunities, and business tracking are valuable features. It provides everything that we need. It works pretty well."
  • "In terms of features, for our business needs, we have more than enough right now. There is nothing that we are missing or would like to add. They can maybe share some best practices so that when you are starting, you can stick to a good process, and you don't have to think so much about the process that you want or your CEO or CMO wants. The process should not be based on one person in the company. Having some best practices will make it easier to get started. These best practices can be based on what has worked for others. Its basic version is pretty simple, and the customizations are up to the companies, which can make startups like ours lose a lot of time in figuring out what all stakeholders want rather than what would work."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for follow-up of sales opportunities. We are using Enterprise Salesforce.

What is most valuable?

The activities, opportunities, follow-up of the opportunities, and business tracking are valuable features. It provides everything that we need. It works pretty well.

What needs improvement?

In terms of features, for our business needs, we have more than enough right now. There is nothing that we are missing or would like to add. They can maybe share some best practices so that when you are starting, you can stick to a good process, and you don't have to think so much about the process that you want or your CEO or CMO wants. The process should not be based on one person in the company. Having some best practices will make it easier to get started. These best practices can be based on what has worked for others. Its basic version is pretty simple, and the customizations are up to the companies, which can make startups like ours lose a lot of time in figuring out what all stakeholders want rather than what would work.

I have been using this solution for four years.

It is very stable and works very well.

We have scaled it, and it works pretty well. It has good scalability. We have around 50 people in our organization who use this solution.

I have not used technical support. It is very stable, and most of the issues were at the user level. Therefore, I did not need any advanced technical support for this.

It is pretty easy to set it up. The first version came out in two weeks.

What other advice do I have?

Before using this solution, you must make sure that your processes are very clear. You should know what do you want from the CRM and what outcome you are expecting. The CRM itself is very easy to use and deploy, but you can also make mistakes while going back and forth. If you don't have complete clarity of what you want from the business standpoint, you will lose valuable time in customizing the stuff that is not required. You will end up measuring stuff that you don't really care about. That's why you need to know your needs and the outcome that you're expecting.

I would rate Salesforce Platform a nine out of ten.

RV
Quality Assurance Lead at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to scale, easy to setup, good performance, and good technical support

• "The process and the workflows are amazing."
  • "Integration needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are predominantly a Salesforce consulting company and we do Salesforce implementation for various types of clients.

We are in the implementation business and we help our clients. Most of our services are in the nonprofit public sector and CPQ.

What is most valuable?

In terms of a CRM or a BAR, Salesforce is absolutely great from a client standpoint.

The completely out-of-the-box service is absolutely great.

The process and the workflows are amazing.

What needs improvement?

Integration with a few of the other products such as Spring Boot is a problem.

Integration needs improvement. We have found that there are some issues with integration.

DevOps is lagging in Salesforce development practice. We are looking for a better understanding of DevOps for Salesforce.

I would like to see automation DevOps in the next release.

It's a 14-year-old company and we have been using Salesforce Platform for nine months.

We are using the latest version. We have been working with both public and private clouds.

There have been some issues with the stability of the Salesforce Platform, but it's very minor compared to other applications.

The scalability of the Salesforce Platform is amazing. There are no issues with the scalability of this product.

We have 1,000 employees who use it.

As partners with Salesforce, we are dedicated and in touch with Salesforce all of the time.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is quite easy.

The price varies depending on the cloud.

We are exploring multiple different tools at this point.

Within our company, we haven't developed automation practice so far, which is the reason why I have been doing research to identify the most suitable tool exclusively for Salesforce functional automation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. This is the right time to look into Salesforce, so it's going to be huge in few years.

I am totally in love with this solution. Any issues it may have for example with integration are all minor when you compare it with the performance, scalability, and ease of use. I would definitely rate it a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Salesforce Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GG
SVP, Senior Director, Platforms and Delivery at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great dashboards, highly scalable, and overall stable

• "We used it for providing a 360 view of the customers from within Salesforce. So, a lot of data got presented there, for which we used Einstein Analytics. The Einstein Analytics dashboards were really great."
  • "It is quite expensive. It has gotten to that point where it is a lot more pricey. It has kind of got its own proprietary language for development. It is probably never going to change, but if it had a more market language for development, it would be easier to find developers. They come at a premium cost, so it is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We used it for sales and mobile access. We had to create mobile access for sales agents. We also used it for customer service and for onboarding in the treasury space with the nCino product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely improved the way our organization functions.

What is most valuable?

We used it for providing a 360 view of the customers from within Salesforce. So, a lot of data got presented there, for which we used Einstein Analytics. The Einstein Analytics dashboards were really great.

What needs improvement?

It is quite expensive. It has gotten to that point where it is a lot more pricey. It has kind of got its own proprietary language for development. It is probably never going to change, but if it had a more market language for development, it would be easier to find developers. They come at a premium cost, so it is expensive.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

Overall, it is stable. We generally tend to wait until somebody else has upgraded.

It is highly scalable. In my previous organization, we probably had 2,000 or 3,000 users.

They have a model where there are a lot of user groups before you get into really calling them. We go through the sales channel and get assistance through that. We didn't really use the tech support itself that much. We kind of leveraged sales engineers to help us with things that we had questions about.

Based on my knowledge, we were not using any other solution. I have used it here for four years, but they have had it for eight years.

It really depends on what you're doing.

It is quite expensive. Its developers come at a premium cost, which makes it expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go with the base functionality first and then develop specific use cases for your expansion and customization. Try to leverage, as much as possible, the core capabilities without customization. Rely on configuration because customization is really expensive. The developers are expensive.

I would rate Salesforce Platform an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
RN
Managing Partner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
A stable and scalable enterprise platform-as-a-service solution with useful reports and dashboards

• "I like the reports and the dashboards. Since I'm a managing partner, I use the reports and dashboards to understand my team's contact management, opportunity management, and account management activities. We use Pardot for marketing campaigns."
  • "Reporting could be better. Reporting is Excel-based, and it has sucked since the inception of the company. That's why I was excited about the fact of them bringing MuleSoft into the fold and Tableau."

What is our primary use case?

We use Salesforce Platform for marketing, opportunity tracking, and account management within the sales element.

How has it helped my organization?

Coming into the early 21st century, actually automating a number of processes and work activities were done with legacy tools like Excel, Word, and so on. It's really just bringing everything into a modern integrated platform.

What is most valuable?

I like the reports and the dashboards. Since I'm a managing partner, I use the reports and dashboards to understand my team's contact management, opportunity management, and account management activities. We use Pardot for marketing campaigns.

What needs improvement?

Reporting could be better. Reporting is Excel-based, and it has sucked since the inception of the company. That's why I was excited about the fact of them bringing MuleSoft into the fold and Tableau.

I have been using Salesforce Platform since the late 90s.

The Salesforce Platform is very stable.

The Salesforce Platform is scalable. In consulting work, about four years ago, I did some work for GE. GE then consolidated 80 different Salesforce instances into either two or three instances. That's a company of 300,000 people globally at that point. Today, my business has a hundred partners, of which probably 60 or 70 partners use Salesforce.

My admin has used Salesforce technical support, and to my knowledge, everything has been very positive and very successful.

Over the years, we've created our own custom objects in fields. We try to keep the applications as standard or vanilla as possible, but we've tailored them to our business model and processes. The product is used moderately, and we have one Salesforce administrator to manage it.

What other advice do I have?

I've been against Salesforce for many years, and even today, with Lightning, they haven't migrated everything that the platform did within Classic to Lightning. It's just continuing to improve the user interface and the integration capabilities with other non-Salesforce applications.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Salesforce Platform an eight.

Other
TA
Solution Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to scale, good reporting, but they need more data quality

• "The reporting capabilities are pretty user-friendly."
  • "They should provide access to data quality tips and tricks to make it better."

What is our primary use case?

I sell competitive solutions, and I am an end-user of the Salesforce Platform, which is our CRM. We use this solution to keep track of customers, prospects, and associated contacts.

What is most valuable?

The reporting capabilities are pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

They should provide access to data quality tips and tricks to make it better.

I've been at my current job for five years, and I've been using it for that time. I have also used salesforce at other companies as well.

We are using the latest version, it's called Lightening.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues with the stability of the Salesforce Platform.

It is easy to scale. It is, of course, the original software as a service.

We have 300 users in our organization who are using this solution, who are mainly Sales and Sales Management.

I haven't used technical support. We have our own first-line support for our company. I've never had to actually reach out to Salesforce themselves.

Previously, I hadn't used any other solution. I have used Salesforce at this job and at my previous two jobs.

I was not a part of the initial setup, it was already in place and done for me.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is good.

It's only as good as the company that you are working for, who sets it up, and that monitors it and dates it. This is one of the biggest challenges with customer relationships.

Management Software such as the Salesforce Platform ensures data quality.

The tool can be great, but if you don't enter enough accurate data and keep it up to date then the CRM tool functionality cannot be leveraged.

I would advise having a data quality manager for this solution. If you're going to be using it to manage sales over time and for marketing efforts, if you don't have up-to-date complete information in there, then you don't get the value out of the solution.

I would rate Salesforce Platform a seven out of ten.

Manuraj Kapoor
Manager - Key Accounts at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Modular, stable, scalable, and usable on various devices

• "It is very modular in approach. It is very light, and it can be used on various devices. It could be used on an Android phone or a laptop, which makes it good for the sales team on the road."
  • "It could have a lot more customization options in terms of fonts and reports. There should be an even lighter version with just two or three fields. It could be a bit more light if the field guys want to use it on a mobile phone on the road. For deploying it for CRM, maybe we can have our customer database, project funnels, and projects to help us in managing our supply chain business."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage the customer base, sales funnel, and sales team. We also intend to use it for CRM.

What is most valuable?

It is very modular in approach. It is very light, and it can be used on various devices. It could be used on an Android phone or a laptop, which makes it good for the sales team on the road.

What needs improvement?

It could have a lot more customization options in terms of fonts and reports.

There should be an even lighter version with just two or three fields. It could be a bit more light if the field guys want to use it on a mobile phone on the road.

For deploying it for CRM, maybe we can have our customer database, project funnels, and projects to help us in managing our supply chain business.

I have been using this solution for almost ten or eleven years. In my current organization, we have been using it for the last two years. I have also used it in my previous company.

It has been quite stable. We didn't have any challenges.

In terms of scalability, it has been good so far. I have seen it working fine for a team of 10 people as well as for a team of 1,000 people. There are probably more than 1,000 users in our organization globally.

In this organization, it is primarily for managing the sales team and sales funnel, but we also intend to use it for CRM around three years down the line.

I am a sales guy, and from my point of view, I never had any problem.

It is straightforward.

I have heard that it is fairly priced. It offers ROI.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good platform. To deploy it in your organization, users should identify their problems and needs. They should align it with their needs in terms of customization.

I would rate Salesforce Platform an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
ST
Customer Service Representative at Global Services
A great platform but crashes and loses notes occasionally

• "It is a great platform. It's definitely an improvement from the GCP application that we were using previously."
  • "When we're documenting information such as notes, and so forth, if we were to go back to the same case all notes go missing."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the CRM.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The issue that my company has is, say, for instance, a user is dealing with more than one member in the system and they're looking up over five members. Once they hit the fifth member, it goes down. It crashes. This only happens when one of our customer service agents pulls up multiple members at once.

When we're documenting information such as notes, and so forth, if we were to go back to the same case all notes go missing. It's not great for documentation purposes as the CRM is losing our notes. This can be a big issue for the company especially if the provider has called and said they want to check on a specific case where the notes were lost. I need to review what's sent over. We've had customer service go back to a case number to seek those notes out, however, the CRM really should be able to just keep them in their system properly.

We have been using the solution since 2018. It's been a few years at this point.

The stability isn't the best, especially if you are looking at multiple member profiles at the same time. If you open more than five, it crashes the system.

We used to use a GCP application and we switched to this product in 2018. We find it to be a much better CRM overall.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten. If it didn't crash or lose notes, I would rate it higher. However, it is a pretty good CRM.

LV
Client Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Powerful platform with massive scalability potential

• "It has definitely improved how we function."
  • "Salesforce is a pretty cumbersome product. It's a product that you need to spend quite a bit of time customizing to your unique business model. Unless you have somebody in house that knows it really well, you're better off spending money with a consultant to get what you need."

What is our primary use case?

We have five sales people, we are primarily using Salesforce to manage opportunities.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely improved how we function.

What needs improvement?

Salesforce is a pretty cumbersome product. It's a product that you need to spend quite a bit of time customizing to your unique business model. Unless you have somebody in house that knows it really well, you're better off spending money with a consultant to get what you need. It's a very powerful platform. You can do a lot with it, but you need to spend the time with it.

That's not necessarily a negative. It's just a large, monolithic application that you need to spend time customizing. You could be in the middle of updating something and think, "Wow, it'd be really nice if I had this widget or if I had this drop down." Because none of us are experts on it, somebody may go off and spends exorbitant time to find out how to implement this feature or make that customization.

I have been using the Salesforce platform for six months.

Salesforce is a stable solution. We have not had any issues with it.

Salesforce has massive scalability potential.

We have never had to use the Salesforce tech support.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give regarding Salesforce is plan to spend customization money on it. You have to really customize it to make it work for your business.