Salesforce Platform Overview

Salesforce Platform is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure: Salesforce Platform vs Microsoft Azure

What is Salesforce Platform?
The Salesforce1 Platform brings together Force.com, Heroku, and ExactTarget into one family of cloud services all built API first to help deliver apps that connect products, users, and next generation experiences. Designed for scale and speed, it provides a fast way to build apps with open APIs, back-end services, integration tools, starter templates as well as powerful developer environments; there's no limit to what you can build.

Salesforce Platform is also known as Salesforce1, Force.com, Salesforce App Cloud.

Salesforce Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Salesforce Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Salesforce Platform Customers
ADP
Salesforce Platform Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Salesforce Platform pricing:
  • "The licensing is per user per month, which we took out a contract on a long time back. It's really an okay price for what solutions are available and for how many features and what kind of functionality you get."

AB
Associate Vice President at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
Empowers our sales team with a common platform, but lacks a few niche integrations

What is our primary use case?

We originally started using Salesforce Platform for our sales guys who go into the market every day. They wanted a common platform that is scalable and easy to work with, especially for the clients. We took to Salesforce because it filled this need, and because it came with multiple apps from different vendors and partners that could be integrated with it. The sales team do route planning, meeting planning, and then they take a particular vehicle to particular retailers. Then they talk to them and find out their reason for taking or not taking a particular order, so that my marketing team and… more »

• "We like that the technology is very agile and flexible in the sense that there's a large partner ecosystem within Salesforce Platform. This enables us to choose from many different partners with different advantages, and all of it can be done in a plug-and-play kind of way."
  • "Although the platform is already set up for you, there's a lot of customization that needs to be done, especially for any new component we start using. For whatever solution we wanted, we had to think for ourselves and design it all on our own. And, unfortunately, there were some components that were not really mature in the beginning, like Tableau for example."

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend Salesforce Platform to others with no hesitation. For a PaaS, all the infrastructure was in place. But when you begin with a new platform, you have to start from scratch at level zero and then keep on maturing. Thus, my advice to my team and everyone else is: don't complicate from day one. You start, make it simple, keep on using it, make sure it's working correctly and so on, and from there on out things are very easy for users. I would rate Salesforce Platform a seven out of ten.
AP
Senior Manager, Product Strategy at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Straightforward to set up, very stable, and offers good pricing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Account Management and Lead Management.

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the unit coordination between sales and marketing when it comes to lead management."
  • "Sometimes what will happen is we work on it and then we move to a different tab and work on something else. After five minutes, when we come back, it automatically signs out."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. It is my understanding that we are using the latest version of the solution at this time. Salesforce is great. Without any doubt, I would say one should definitely go for Salesforce. It does a lot of sales and marketing in the CRM that would help you if you work on productivity. If someone wants to have a single place where they need to be productive and that will deliver to the sales and marketing list, then yes Salesforce is the place. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities overall.
Learn what your peers think about Salesforce Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NW
Customer Success Director at CloudChomp
Easy to use, good integration with different applications, and customizable to our business needs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a CRM. The goal is to create an easy and organized way of collecting and reporting on data. There are many pros and cons but overall, this is the best CRM that I have used. I have utilized at least five different CRMs over the last five years and although HubSpot was the easiest to use, it was not as robust as Salesforce. Salesforce inches above the rest as my favorite. I feel like some things are complicated just to be complicated and that takes away from the overall productivity it is creating for my team.

• "Better flexibility in editing emails created from templates would be great, and being able to add hyperlinks in emails for scheduling meetings would allow us to automate more."
    Senior Developer at jarvis
    Offers good integration and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the mobile application, the Lightning application. We use it with consulting and integrating the different products like vCloud or integration with Google. There are some that we do production also. Everything is on mobile now. So we use mobile apps and then we develop those applications. It's a Cloud browser and device support that we are doing the programming. So basically now we are developing that in the Lightning Application, where we can. That is based on the event architecture and by the company's controller, we write those according to that. We develop the programming that will… more »

• "Features they are integrating to the other services."
    • "They need an easy way of getting details and then adding to it and then being able to do it in a more simplified way"

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Salesforce Cloud App at an eight out of ten.
    Head Of IT and Corporate Processes at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
    Fully integrated, providing a seamless experience and increased efficiency in our company

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for management processes such as grading sales orders, including all the KPI for the sales team to close negotiations. I'm head of IT and corporate process and we are customers of Salesforce.

• "A fully integrated solution that provides a seamless experience."
    • "An expensive solution requiring a lot of configuration."

What other advice do I have?

It's important to understand what you need for the short, middle and long term. Salesforce is a huge platform and might provide a level of functionality that you don't need. I would highly recommend implementation with a partner. It simplifies the process and if a company doesn't have the resources or people to administer the platform, it can effect the outcome. It's good to have a Salesforce administrator to assist when you need help. I rate this solution a nine out of 10.
    Head of Enterprise Architecture at Mantrac Group
    Easy to set up, stable, and offers a great ecosystem

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the CRM, the customer relationship management, but now we are expanding its usage to allow our customers use access an online customer portal based on salesforce community and using B2B commerce

• "There is very good documentation available and Salesforce offers good communication with its clients. It's very user-friendly and has a system that is easy to learn."
    • "Technical support could be a bit faster."

What other advice do I have?

We're just Salesforce customers. We don't have a business relationship with them. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're mostly quite satisfied with the product and its capabilities. I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies. However, you need a strong team to manage it. You need to have suitable admins on hand to properly implement the rules.
    JV
    Coordinator of Billing Process at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    Stable with good queue management and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

As a project manager, I deal with many use cases, however, for privacy reasons, I can't really discuss them in detail.

• "The queue management of the solution is its most valuable aspect."
    • "The initial setup is rather complex."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using. We're using both Google and Amazon clouds, however, I'm not sure where this version actually sits and if it's on one of those. I'm just a user. I'm not an integrator or reseller. I'd advise those considering the solution to ensure that the integrations are strong. We probably would have had an easier time if our older solution integrated better into this one. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, we did have some challenges at the outset with the setup.
    JL
    Enterprise Solutions Architect at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    Responsive with good UI, but takes a while to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a support console.

• "The product is pretty responsive."
    • "If you have resellers or distributors, you just need to figure out a way to set up the system in the backend. Since every company is different, it takes a little bit of time to figure that out."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Salesforce. We primarily use the solution for internal use. We don't deploy it to clients. I'm not sure of which version we are using. It's likely the latest one. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten overall. It really is a fit for all business types.
    See 17 more Salesforce Platform Reviews