SAP Analytics Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Analytics Cloud is #2 ranked solution in top Predictive Analytics tools and #4 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. IT Central Station users give SAP Analytics Cloud an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP Analytics Cloud is most commonly compared to Tableau:SAP Analytics Cloud vs Tableau. SAP Analytics Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 78% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is SAP Analytics Cloud?

The SAP® Analytics Cloud solution offers all analytics capabilities for all users in one product. In the boardroom, at the office, or in front of a customer, you can discover, analyze, plan, predict, and collab­orate in one integrated experience designed expressly for the cloud. Access all data and embed analytics directly into business processes to turn instant insight into quick action. Because we built it on the high­performance SAP Cloud Platform, you can trust the solution to work quickly and reliably.

SAP Analytics Cloud was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Cloud.

SAP Analytics Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Analytics Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SAP Analytics Cloud Customers

Live Oak Bank

SAP Analytics Cloud Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Analytics Cloud pricing:
  • "Compute and storage features should be sold separately."
  • "It's quite expensive and costs a lot to maintain, especially with licensing."

SAP Analytics Cloud Reviews

Santosh  Pallai
Sr Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to allocate, spread, and distribute actual figures

• "In the most recent release, the schedule publication was officially updated and it's been added on MS Office 365. I like how we had an EPM for B to C perspective; it's a great enhancement. Also, I believe the B to B connectivity has been improved. Android support for mobile is really good also. Power BI has always had android support in place, so manual support for SAP Analytics Cloud is also a very good feature."
  • "Custom visuals is another area of improvement. There are also some mobile features that are missing. There are features that aren't available on the mobile."

What is our primary use case?

My VP asked me to work with my plan number to figure out how to increase and support our sales region. On the planning admin, I created a model and then imported actual and forecasted data. From that, I was able to determine the variance. We managed to plan this with small amounts of data.

We created a planning model and enabled it to make a planning checkmark that works with the time category in the tab dimension, in order to bring it down to the lowest granularity, by month, start date, and end date.

We created an organization dimension. A responsible person to monitor each region is required. Then you can drag and drop the region hierarchy from the parent.

Then, we worked on the calculated numbers, for example, the gross margin, which was the total revenue minus COGS. We then divided that number by total revenue times one hundred. From there, we could pull the data from the file and select source actuality to validate it.

We performed all of this using SAP Analytics Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

In the most recent release, the schedule publication was officially updated and it's been added on MS Office 365. I like how we had an EPM for B to C perspective; it's a great enhancement. Also, I believe the B to B connectivity has been improved. Android support for mobile is really good also. Power BI has always had android support in place, so manual support for SAP Analytics Cloud is also a very good feature.

Smart Insights have also been enhanced, especially in regards to the Stories.

Apart from that, I would like to see more data-handling enhancement. Smart planning can give us immediate results.  When we come to analytics, If we could get more enhancement, we could probably completely skip the data warehousing concepts. This would be a big improvement.

With all of the new updates, now we can combine different types of data together and give our customers a full picture.

I am happy with the new release that is coming out. It's comparatively a little slower than the version we had from 2019-2020; however, the enhancements they have added are much better than previous versions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we can allocate, spread, and distribute the actual figures.

What needs improvement?

The cost is an area that could be improved. I also think that Ofice 365 should be incorporated. People would find it to be more user-friendly with Office 365 integrated. Flat file integration can be a distinguishing factor.

Custom visuals is another area of improvement. There are also some mobile features that are missing. There are features that aren't available on the mobile.

There should also be better connectivity tools for HANA and Success Factors. They have minimal visualization relations and they have the third-party add-ins.

I have been using this solution for the past six months.

We have 300-plus Stories that we already had in the system, that we had to do performance tuning. I brought it down to 267, to be exact. We had over 302 dashboards and then we brought it down to 111 stories on 267 visualizations. When we have too many pages, the performance gets impacted a little on the initialization part. When we open the story, it takes a little bit of time because it's not on-premise. Because our clients are based in the Netherlands and we are based in Bangalore, we had to manage the different time zones, and the business hours are different. We had to find out during the peak business hour how the SSE behaves.

We found that in the peak business hours it does slow down a little bit, considering the internet speed and everything. We did take everything into account. Then we checked the performance and the data also. In order to be competitive with the other software in the market, a little enhancement in this part also would give the upper hand compared to other BI tools.

We used to go in a cognitive window wherein we don't have any caches in place, so that we could get an accurate picture of the performance. But we also want to reduce the number of filters, and then we want to do more slicing and dicing across the data and try to see how it improves. In the near future, we would try to test the data more.

It performs quite well. Custom visuals would definitely help us to improve a little more.

There are more viewer licenses. We have got close to 130 users for Analytics Cloud. And for developer access, for read and write, at our location we have around six plus two for planning, altogether 11 to 12 licenses.

We have BW HANA. So we have only four developers as of now. We used it more extensively before the pandemic but not as much now. We do have plans to increase usage in the near future.

The technical support is quite good. Any time there is a new release and we have any issues, we connect with the technical support team and then go ahead and write about it in a blog so that the other users can also get help for similar issues.

We previously used Cognos Analytics and Tableau. I've done a couple of POCs on Tableau and worked on micro-strategy. We switched to SAP Analytics Cloud primarily for the planning, development, and the user-friendliness. When SAP comes up with a solution, they definitely try to be up to market. The features were not in a premature stage. We had faith that SAP had enhanced features compared to other BI tools.

The initial setup was pretty easy. It was also easy for my team. They thought it was easy to install. There's no download, there was no complexity.

We do the maintenance for it because we know the ins and outs of the development. We also do the admin.

What other advice do I have?

If you are new to SSE and are trying to implement SSE in your project, don't think that SSE is an SAP product. Look into the features because I am sure you'll be satisfied with the features. They come out with the releases. I go into the release notes to understand what are the enhancements are. This will make it easier to understand.

If you have somebody who isn't as experienced with BI, even that person can still learn SSE and can cope up with the BI requirements. In India, if you want to be a BI compatible, you have to have at least three years' experience so that you can understand all of the data warehousing concepts, and EDL. With SSE, learning is very smooth and easy.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

The missing point would be because of the performance.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AA
Consultor SAP Business Object, Sap Analytics Cloud at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Analytics privacy is the best in the market in BI platforms

• "It's many features make it the best in the market."
  • "Connection and integration with other applications have a lot of restrictions at the moment."

What is our primary use case?

We have many use cases. These include the SAP Analytics platform tool and the SAP Analytics Cloud project. Some of the tools these products provide tend to fit the same situation. But other use cases can depend on the clients' resources including on-premise servers, or on-premise application. There are many installation requirements, for example in Cloud connect. We often need consultancy support from SAP to assist us.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP Analytics Cloud is very popular amongst most companies around the world. There are three editions of the product.

What is most valuable?

The analytics privacy is the best in the market in BI platforms. SAP Analytics Cloud has a planning tool and integration tool. It is the best business intelligence platform. It's not very complex. Its many features make it the best in the market. It also has new extra storage. I have had very good experiences with SAP Analytics Cloud. There are many standards for setup. The SAP Analytics Cloud connects with the SAP ERP Central Component (SAP ECC) or S/4HANA (SAP's ERP for large enterprises) or any other things around the application server. SAP Analytics Cloud has machine learning installed, which includes a Smart Discovery and a smart BI tool. It's the best feature if you need machine learning. The Smart Discovery is the best tool for me in catalog discovery tools. In addition to SAP Analytics Cloud, there is SAP Data Warehouse Cloud, includes other tools about business intelligence, and SAP HANA Cloud tools

What needs improvement?

SAP Analytics Cloud can connect to any server architect, database server, or application server. There are many models for implementation to the Cloud or on-premises. The implementation process for SAP Analytics Cloud could be improved, as there are many application servers, in the company. Also, there are many applications. This implies there are many KPIs to connect with other applications. Connection and integration with other applications have a lot of restrictions at the moment. As a result, the implementation process is complicated. SAP Cloud connect is easier to implement on-premises. Future releases could include a provision to remove some of those restrictions.

Previously, I had 15 years of experience with SAP BI, using Business Objects. I have been using the latest version of SAP Analytics Cloud, for two years as a consultant. I used SAP Business Objects premium, previously, and SAP Analytics Cloud version. My related lengthy experience with Business Objects has helped me learn SAP Analytics Cloud more easily in the last two years. I am mainly experienced in using the IDM tool. I lead on Cloud installations and I have had a lot of training. I also know the core model design. I can explain the model design and related server applications. My main experience is with the design model. I have experience with graphics transformations. Also, I have designed KPIs tools in SAP Analytics Cloud working with customers to specific KPIs. I consider design knowledge to be the most important task for daily tasks. For example, in S/4HANA or SAP ECC, we have to design services, for backups and data.  In Venezuela and Latin America, we have to design the ETL process and model those in the SAP Analytics Cloud. We also have to design the dashboard for the customer. Many companies have SAP in Venezuela. As a freelance partner, I work independently. Companies utilize my services when they have a specific implementation of an SAP application they need.

It has many features as a platform. SAP Analytics Cloud has various editions. It depends what it's going to be used for and expected. It has a public edition, and an SAP Analytics Cloud public edition. SAP Analytics Cloud also has a premier edition, which includes customer tool access. The premium edition is the paid-for edition. The premium addition also has better access than the other editions of SAP Analytics Cloud. The client is a large commercial company specialising in telecommunications. I'm working on support and implementation at the moment. Stability can sometimes depend on the size of the company, as a smaller company will generally have less complicated requirements than a large company. It also depends on the design model, and the consultant to know the model and the required customer solution.

You need to know many things about the business. SAP Analytics Cloud, requires consultancy implementation. You have to have good technical skills and knowledge in your business unit or area. These are major concerns. My previous experience with business intelligence products has helped with implementations of SAP Analytics Cloud. It's easier if we have the assistance of a BI consultant, and the team have knowledge about the implementation. The team must be trained in SAP. I keep my knowledge of SAP, and the latest improvements, up-to-date daily. I run webinars for staff, as I am required to train others. The recent versions of SAP have many improvements, but staff need to be kept in the loop about these. For example, currently, I am looking at HANA Cloud within the platform. It is always important for the team to keep the documentation up-to-date, so that, if anything changes or features are added it is included with the latest information.

Implementations are usually carried out in conjunction with the vendor team, which includes SAP and BI consultants.

What other advice do I have?

The best way to keep up with relevant information about SAP Analytics Cloud is in public forums. I check those daily, including any blogs. There are many useful articles on the internet about SAP Analytics Cloud. I rate SAP Analytics Cloud as a 10, based on the implementation, functionality to the users and it is the best tool to measure KPIs in the Cloud.

Private Cloud

Other
Learn what your peers think about SAP Analytics Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BG
Human Resources Consultant - Workforce Reporting at a government with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up with good forecasting capabilities but requires knowledge of programming languages

• "There is a really nice insight feature that I enjoy using."
  • "The customizations need to be better."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for reporting. We talk to people in all different roles and in all different types of companies and organizations. It's just to get a more well-rounded scope.

We use it to build a human capital dashboard and I use it to report on workforce data, hires and exits, movements, and items of that nature.

What is most valuable?

I like the forecasting capabilities.

There is a really nice insight feature that I enjoy using. It automatically adds input, which is quite helpful.

The initial setup was super simple.

What needs improvement?

The customizations need to be better. In order to do some basic functions, in order to create certain basic functions in input control, you need to know a couple of basic programming languages. It would be better if these input controls were easier to create or to get working. For example, in Tableau, it's so easy. You just add these controls. However, in this product, for certain basic functions like dropdown boxes, it's more difficult for the basic business user. If you're not in IT, it's not as easy as Tableau.

The product needs to offer more options for navigation. There need to be dropdown filtering op boxes. Right now, when you filter, what you have filtered is not presented - the selection isn't on the screen. If you're looking at it, you don't know if you've got the right number unless you hover over it.

Some of the functionalities that do not use any IT or business language, such as BIAL, which is a subset of JavaScript, and something called CSS, need to be incorporated.

The analytics app is designed for programmers. You need to know programming languages in order to use the solution effectively, and some users aren't programmers. Unfortunately, if you want something that should be simple to do, that's not available as you need to have that programming language.

I'm a new-ish user; I just started this year. I would say I've used it for less than a year.

The product seems very secure. It seems very stable. I've had no issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It does not crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. I am not using it to its current potential, however, this is one of the benefits of the program, as is it can be scaled out for the whole organization, due to the ability for it to connect directly to the cloud data and right to the SAP.

Different business units are using the solution, including HR, long-term care, and transportation. I'm not sure how many users are leveraging it, however. We are a city-wide organization and different government areas use it.

It is not widely used right now, as we are still in the demo stage. That said, I can say that the organization is planning on committing to it.

I've never had to use technical support except to go to my own IT staff for help, and therefore I can't comment very well on SAP's level of assistance.

I'm also familiar with Tableau.

We were using Excel and Tableau, and we stopped using Excel due to the fact that there's no scalability there. It's just very slow and cumbersome. That was Microsoft, actually. With Tableau, we are also using it for other things. Due to the nature of this software, it's good for some projects, and Tableau is better for others. This one's more suited towards data that is coming directly from a live system. Tableau works really well with flat files.

For me, the implementation was very simple.

Our IT department provided me with the access rights and provided me with the appropriate links, as well as all of the training materials that SAP has on their website.

My deployment was small and quick. For the whole organization, it takes much longer. I am using it with a flat-file, inserting data into the cloud to connect with it, and therefore, my scope is very small compared to the whole organization. It did not take me long at all.

I handle the maintenance myself. It doesn't require much maintenance. I do work with IT when I need to.

I used our IT staff, however, they have been working with representatives from the company in order to deploy the product organization-wide.

I can't speak to the licensing or costs. I'm not involved in that aspect just yet.

There seem to be three different levels of licenses, including one for a viewer, and one for a designer and one is for analytics.

This is currently the solution we are evaluating.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to all-out purchase the analytics application, as some of the features are in just the designer mode, and they are not going to be sufficient. You're going to need some of the features that are contained in the third option, the analytics application.

Users need to be very familiar with what they have called the data modeler and should spend some time modeling and rendering data in their data modeler or just importing data into something called the dataset. With the dataset, users have more flexibility, however, the data modeling, that's something I didn't know starting out. Had I done it differently, I might have used the data modeler.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

MG
Analytics Practice Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Offers business intelligence and inbuilt AI capabilities, useful for both technical types and general users

• "Offers both business intelligence as well as inbuilt AI and machine learning capabilities."
  • "AI doesn't work as well with SAP live connections."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as part of an embedded analytics use case for an ERP application. SAP are starting to embed Analytics Cloud as a solution within their ERP application, which gives you the options for closed-loop analytics, as you go from insights to action within a single ERP application. It can also be used to bring together multiple data sources, different sources of data from various applications and use the application to blend and trade analytics solutions across different parts of the organization. The product suits small to large enterprise, it supports all user types. We are partners with SAP and I'm an analytics practice lead.

What is most valuable?

A point of differentiation in the market for Analytics Cloud compared to other analytics products, is it offers not only business intelligence within the application, but also it has inbuilt AI and machine learning capabilities that can be used not only by data scientist types in the organization, but for general users who can get the benefit of inbuilt predictive features in the tool. The other really compelling part of it is that it's also a planning application. You can do full life cycle from plan through execution in a single platform. That's quite unique for SAP. A lot of the other software vendors do analytics products and they do planning products. This is quite a unique combination that has both BI predictive and planning in a single application. And that's really where its strengths is.

What needs improvement?

I think what could be improved is a lot of those intelligent features that I mentioned, the AI and predictive functions within the tool work really well with data that you import into the platform, but it doesn't work as well with SAP live connections. If they could make those predictive features available to any source, whether it's SAP or non SAP, it would be a really, really compelling product.

I'd like to see formatted reporting as an additional feature, such as pixel perfect style formatted reporting. I'd also like to see the product on parity when you compare acquired data and live data models, to know that the features are identical.

I've been using this solution for two years.

I believe the stability needs more work. The product was first released about five years ago and it's still maturing, which means a lot of new functionality is released with each update. Sometimes that can be a little bit disruptive as features change.

The scalability is pretty good, you've got options of either having it publicly hosted, or you can also have a private hosting option in a restricted area in the cloud data center. You can also add capacity to it quite easily. It's elasticity as an application for scale-out is pretty good. And underneath the covers, it runs SAP HANA, which is an in-memory database. So that makes a pretty performance. I'm happy with it.

The technical support could be improved.

I would say that Analytics Cloud is definitely improving although it's not yet fully comparable. There are some features in BusinessObjects that are not yet in Analytics Cloud, but I would say, from my perspective, that the overall the benefits and advantages of using SAC outweigh BusinessObjects.

Initial setup is somewhere in the middle of straightforward and complex, it just depends on the source of information. It's not overly simple and it's not overly complex. We have the solution up and running with customers in three weeks for a trial, and that's sending up the application, connecting it to their source systems and demonstrating one really good example of a dashboard or report. We carry out the deployment internally. There's very little maintenance required because it's software as a service, a SaaS offering, a lot of that housekeeping and maintenance and upgrade of the solution is managed by SAP, by the software vendors. Again, that's one of its strong selling points, it requires very little administration overhead.

I believe that SAC is cheaper than BusinessObjects for a basic user license. It's difficult to compare because one is an on-premise pricing model and the other is subscription based. You're not really comparing apples with apples. For some of the more advanced functionalities, though, it can be more expensive. Analytics Cloud is subscription-based. There are different tiers of licensing that give you different access to different functionalities, but assuming you have all of that, there is no additional hosting or set up costs, its fully included in the price per user.

What other advice do I have?

It's really important to think about data governance in the solution because it's very much a self-service application. It can be quite open for users to create their own versions of data, so it's really important that you think about customers, think about a data governance model to make sure that there's clear ownership of data, and there's a clear single source of truth for enterprise data in the model. It's easy to create a situation where it's open, but you still very much need to consider having a data governance strategy that underpins your Analytics Cloud implementation.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AbdulRasool
Senior Practice Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good user interface, filtering options, and integrates well with other SAP products

• "The user interface is quite good for developing reports out of models."
  • "There is no direct connector from SAP to Redshift, so we are required to use a third-party product that was recommended by SAP."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The filtering options are useful.

The user interface is quite good for developing reports out of models.

What needs improvement?

There is no direct connector from SAP to Redshift, so we are required to use a third-party product that was recommended by SAP. Going forward, we would like to use connectors that are developed by SAP directly and do not require us to pay any additional licensing fees. In general, this solution should support as many databases and data warehouses, including cloud-based deployments, as possible.

There are a couple of complex reports that we cannot generate using a live connection. With the full data option, however, it is possible.

Hierarchies are not supported as of now, so it would be great if there were support for two or three-level hierarchies. It is helpful when we can drill down further into the hierarchy.

I would like to see more enhancement in terms of AI and ML. Currently, they have R visualization support in the product using a direct plugin. We need to have support for Python scripting, as well.

I am a consultant and I have been working with SAP Analytics Cloud for six months.

The solution itself is stable as of now, but we have had some challenges with connectivity. We're not sure if it is related to SAP or AWS, and it is stable at the moment, but we have had challenges.

With respect to scalability, we have only uploaded about half a million records as a pilot for the customer. At this point, we are not pushing more because we don't have the data. We do have plans to build in that regard, but for now, we cannot fully judge scalability.

We are developing solutions for enterprise-level companies.

The technical support is fine, and we have not had a problem. The SAP expert team is there if you need to speak with them.

Most of the technical support we are getting is from the marketplace. We get very good information from the SAP support portal.

For analytics, I have been working with SAP for the past twenty years. I have used the on-premises solution of business intelligence.

The initial setup is straightforward. The first time we deployed this solution it took between three and five days. This was due to some complexity that we had, including connectors. After our first experience, it now takes a maximum of two days to deploy if we have the proper documentation and connectors.

We have also recently tried Tableau and they are also pretty good. I do not find much difference between them. It is, however, the choice of the customer.

Some people like the Tableau reporting, whereas others like the SAC reporting, and it is based on the data being reported. SAC is pretty new on the market so Tableau is more flexible in terms of legacy support. A good example is Redshift. Tableau has a direct connection and SAC does not.

We have also used QlikView in the past.

What other advice do I have?

We are trying to get the reports out of AWS Redshift. We are consolidating all of our data in the Amazon Data Lake, and we have it in AWS S3. It is from there that we are pushing to Redshift, but we had a challenge because there is no native connector.

This is a solution that I recommend to anybody with SAP in their landscape. We used to prefer QlikView and Tableau, but as of now, I suggest trying SAP Analytics Cloud to see the results first. There is a lot of seamless integration and you can avoid a lot of licensing costs. It is also pretty good at connecting multiple SAP systems together. It is quite useful in terms of data connectivity, data transmission, and modeling.

Our customers definitely prefer SAP Analytics Cloud on Amazon Redshirt, regardless of the third-party connector that we had to use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ramasamy Telungupalayam
SAP Intelligent Enterprise Manager at Arram solutions ltd
Brings our team together through enhanced collaboration

• "The ability to collaborate and plan together is great."
  • "Figuring out how to navigate all of the products around Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP Analytics Cloud and BW for HANA is quite difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for financial planning and analysis. We definitely plan to expand our usage of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution brings our team together easily through its collaboration abilities.

What is most valuable?

The ability to collaborate and plan together is great. In fact, the collaboration capabilities across the board are very good. Also, integration-wise, it's very good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to know how Analytics Cloud plays with other products like SAP Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP HANA Cloud. SAP Data Warehouse Cloud is now integrated with SAP Analytics Cloud, but I would like to know how they strategically work together; what is the strategy? How do they work together and how is SAP planning to implement self-service? Currently, it's not very clear — particularly regarding Data Warehouse Cloud which is now part of SAP Analytics Cloud. It's quite difficult to navigate because SAP has many products.

Figuring out how to navigate all of the products around Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP Analytics Cloud and BW for HANA is quite difficult. The strategy of all the individual products and the roadmap itself, if you take it separately, it all looks good. There is a transformation navigator, but I don't think it's useful. It's not very easy to use; it's more technical than it is on the business side. In short, the roadmap and integration with other SAP Analytics products like Data Warehouse Cloud need to be improved. It's not clear and I can't find any information from SAP addressing the subject.

I have been using SAP Analytics Cloud for one year.

This solution is quite stable.

We don't require that much support; it's all in the cloud and it's been pretty good. It's well supported I would say.

We used Power BI and Tableau, but they both do not offer the native integration and business content that SAP provides. SAP provides a lot of business content and templates which is quite handy when it comes to complex projects.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

A team of consultants helped us with deployment — they were very helpful. As far as deployment is concerned, we followed an agile implementation model.

Deployment time varies depending on the project size and complexity. SAP has features like analytics, planning, predictive capabilities, simulation, and analytical application. All of these features are very good. They're all combined into one platform where everything can interact together.

Compute and storage features should be sold separately.

Typically, compute and storage is sold separately because there are a lot of use cases. A lot of people ask for it because other competitive products offer it. If they could provide that, it would be very helpful.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using this solution, you have to be aware of the frequent changes and product improvement that occurs. Every month there's a new update. You need to be aware of that but at the same time, don't get carried away with all the new features. Keep track of the roadmap and what new updates are coming. It won't cause any problems, but as it updates so often, it's good to keep track of what new features will be available and which features you should implement.

SAP Analytics can be used as an all-in-one source. It can bring everything together: BI, predictive, planning, simulation — it can combine all of this into a single user interface. Other products have also done this, but SAP has done it very nicely. It's quite good, it's quite stable — I like it.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. It combines all features into a single user interface, including planning, prediction, simulation, analytics application, and analytics or data dash boarding and reporting — I like it.

SO
SAP HANA Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible, easy to use with a rich number of templates, but they need support for more languages

• "The most valuable features are on the application side, where you can design applications into your analytics on the platform."
  • "They need more support for more languages, Python for example."

What is our primary use case?

I am a developer and I work mostly on the technical side.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are on the application side, where you can design applications into your analytics on the platform.

There are many scripting capabilities with a language that is close to JavaScript. It's not exactly JavaScript but it's a spin-off of it.

It has a rich number of templates included that you can enhance.

It's easier to get going on, compared to other solutions.

Many of my clients are apprehensive when you have to deploy the solution. They ask you if the data could be transferred to visualization software.

It's cloud-based, and what's good about the cloud is that it doesn't need to store any data. It can read your data and generate it from the NetApp file. It can generate your model or how your model is going to look like. You don't need to transfer your data set to the cloud to report on.

It's quite flexible.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. It's quite expensive.

I don't know how usable it is for other platforms.

In terms of connectivity, if you want to report on live data you have to use what is called the calculation view. It's a graphical view of SAP HANNA, but it's quite limiting as a structure.

They need support for more languages, Python for example. I know that Tableau does this quite well.

If you can integrate more features from the programming side, it would enhance analytics especially the languages that are more analytics-based such as R. I think SAP Analytics Cloud supports a measure of R but could be enhanced.

I may have a narrow view of its usage, but I think that it is quite dependent on SAP environments.

I have not encountered any clients who are using it for Oracle ERP or an Oracle database and are reporting are using SAP cloud.

It's quite, vendor narrow. For an analytics platform, it's quiet, vendor restrictive.

I have been working with SAP Analytics Cloud for a year and a half.

It's quite stable.

It's a scalable product.

We work with medium-sized enterprise companies, but mostly large-sized clients use SAP. Pharmaceuticals can be used as an example.

It has good technical support.

Previously, I have tried Tableau but not project wise in terms of deployment. I have a lab where I can do some trials.

Also, I have worked with PowerBI a little bit but not in-depth.

It's quite expensive and costs a lot to maintain, especially with licensing.

What other advice do I have?

If the client is SAP-based then I would say it's quite okay to implement this product.

It's stable, provided they have the budget for the licensing which is, I think most of the time, the bottleneck. Also, they have to consider other supply systems, their internal users. What is the diversity, how many of them work on strictly SAP solutions, and what are the compatibility issues where you cannot be stuck with one product?

I think it's pretty much okay provided you can scale and then it depends on how technical the people are. So, we have two variants of it in SAP.

There is the SAP Analytics Cloud Discovery, which is just mainly for discovery analytics. You basically create SAP reports, nothing advanced. Then you have the Designer, which enables you to do a little bit more scripting and other advanced features. Depending on the end-user population, you can train down towards the pure basic reporting or really develop an application on it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

RS
Project Manager at Infrabeat Technologies Pvt Ltd
Good graphing and easy to use but needs predictive analytics

• "The ease of use of the solution is its most valuable feature. We haven't tried all of the features yet. The graphing and the ease of using the analytics tools have been great. It's all drag and drop; you don't need to code anything."
  • "Statistical analysis should be a bit more profound than it is."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution to analyze our clients' data to create dashboards for them to decipher the sales patterns, income generated, geographical locations of sales, etc., to get a better understanding of how to spread out the user base.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use of the solution is its most valuable feature. We haven't tried all of the features yet. The graphing and the ease of using the analytics tools have been great. It's all drag and drop; you don't need to code anything.

What needs improvement?

Improvement-wise, it would be great if there were more analytics features in the time series. Having an accessible, easier time series or trying to incorporate more analytics products like ARIMA would be a good addition.

Statistical analysis should be a bit more profound than it is.

The ability to clean the data up would be helpful.

You have to create your own data sources and that's when you have to connect to SAP. If we could go through an SAP source, then design what kind of data we want to pick for an audit in SAP, that would be ideal. I don't want to need to audit the user creator. It would be better if we had the ability to have one person go in and say, okay, I want this data from these different tables. Then, in the backend, it could create it. That would be a vast improvement.

I'm not sure how many databases can really connect to the solution. I've just used Oracle and HANA. They need to ensure the amount of data sources they can connect to is high so that they can compete with a solution like Tableau.

I've been using the solution for three months.

The solution is quite stable.

I'm not sure if the solution is scalable as I haven't tried to expand it. According to the data I have of the sources of data that I am collecting, it's fulfilling my requirements right now.

Currently, whatever data I have, it seems able to handle it quite easily. It becomes a bit slow at times, however.

We have clients that range from small to medium-sized enterprises. Some have a user base of around 60,000.

I've never contacted technical support.

I've used Tableau and R in the past. I've also worked with SAS a bit and Python coding among others. When I came to the company, they were using the solution.

There's not too much awareness of SAP except for SAP HANA. Many companies have invested in Tableau or Click, but if the pricing was better, this solution might become more popular.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant as well as a user of the solution.

We're a small team that does work for our clients. If our clients want analytics done, we use the solution to work on their data. Our team is about 15 people. Our clients are typically small and medium-sized enterprises.

With some clients, there'll be some hand-holding with them to understand how SAP benefits them. At the same time, we've got some real large giants who have 3,000+ users and they are using a CPS room. They want lots of analytical capabilities. Some use Tableau or Click. The awareness of this solution isn't as good as those.

I'd recommend others try the solution. It's quite a good tool with a lot of features and different user levels. Users don't need to be trained professionals; anyone can start with smaller analyses on their own. A few video tutorials should be sufficient to get someone started. It's only when you get into more complex items that you may need more assistance.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Download our free SAP Analytics Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.