SAP Business One OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Business One is #5 ranked solution in top ERP tools. IT Central Station users give SAP Business One an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP Business One is most commonly compared to SAP S4HANA:SAP Business One vs SAP S4HANA. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is SAP Business One?

The SAP Business One application offers a way to manage your entire business – from accounting and financials, purchasing, inventory, sales and customer relationships, and project management, to operations and human resources. SAP Business One helps you to streamline processes, gain a greater insight into your business, so that you can act fast and make decisions based on real time information, to help you drive profitable growth.

SAP Business One is also known as Business One.

SAP Business One Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Business One Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SAP Business One Customers

Ego Pharmaceuticals Pty. Ltd

SAP Business One Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Business One pricing:
  • "Business One is reasonable considering the functionality."
  • "We compared the Microsoft solution with Oracle NetSuite, as they have a price decrease. It is, however, not that much cheaper, and the price is comparable to SAP."
  • "We feel that the licensing fees are a bit on the higher side."
  • "Its licensing model is good. There is a one-off payment for the software license, and after that, you only need to pay the annual maintenance fee. Compared to other cloud-based systems, this cost model is quite reasonable for SMEs."

SAP Business One Reviews

Erdem Okte
SAP Business One Consultant at SENTIA BILISIM SAN. TIC. LTD. STI.
A tool that serves many business needs to help enhance productivity and workflows

• "The document search feature is very good."
  • "The ability to link documents to accounts, partners and events via the Golden/Yellow Arrow feature is very useful."
  • "The user interface could be improved with drag-and-drop functionality that it currently lacks."

What is our primary use case?

I am a partner for SAP Business One and I have implemented more than 30 customers. My primary use is as a reseller. The customer's primary use varies but the product is primarily used in the automation of business functions. The specific use depends on the customer's needs.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable will vary depending on the client. Turkey is a multi-currency country. Although we have Turkish Lira as our own currency, most of the trade is going on with Euro or US dollars because of the high inflation rate or because the unit pricing is in Euros or United States dollars. But Business One can handle this multi-currency situation very well. The financial model is good, so the financial piece is a nice feature for our users in Turkey at least.

The searching of documents is also a very good feature that most of my customers like. With it, they can find documents that they are looking for very easily. Also, there is a Yellow Arrow (i.e., Golden Arrow) linking feature to establish connections between the documents and accounts, the business partners, or events. The clients appreciate this feature for simplifying document management.

These two features are the ones that first came to my mind as being most mentioned by clients.

What needs improvement?

This product could be improved the most in the user interfaces. Most of the new generation users are looking for drag-and-drop functionality, which SAP does not have. Also the SAP WEB Browser access is limited to some functionalities. It would be better if a higher portion of the software is compatible with web browser.

I have been using SAP Business One for five years now.

I think that Business One is very stable.

Scalability is good. It is really easy to add new users or new departments or new branches. I have gone up to 220 users without any problems. So, I think it is good at scalability in increasing the number of users.

Our customers range is broad from the smallest to the largest of our clients. But even if the number of users in a company is small — like, for example, 20 or 25 users — I also have customers who are some of the largest 500 companies in Turkey. These companies are not creating millions of transactions. But if you look at the revenue, then all of the clients — from the smallest that we service — are larger financially than the typical small and medium-sized enterprises.

Our technical support representative is located in Hungary and he is the perfect man for providing support. On the other hand, I know that my friends in Italy have suffered from having poor technical support. So, from what I know, I can say that the quality of support is dependent on the support team and employee you are working with.

I have worked with different solutions. The one I worked with the most was Netsys and that was for about 10 years. Netsys is a local ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system.

The initial setup is simple. It usually takes only a day or so.

I think the price of Business One is reasonable considering the functionality.

As a reseller, we evaluate various solutions. In the medium to large companies, we mostly shortlist SAP S/4HANA and SAP Business One. The clients try to decide between S/4HANA and SAP Business One. This causes some confusion sometimes because there is a huge price difference between the two products. Of course, there are big differences in functionality. The question becomes whether the functionality of SAP Business One is enough for the customer's needs or not. I try to help them in making these decisions by providing clues about how the products differ and how they could fill the customer's needs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering this tool has to do with how to use it. The result is definitely very important and often people focus on that. But if you score a successful project out of 100%, a good software may be only 40% of that. Another 40% is the team of implementers, and their knowledge and experience. This is very important. The remaining 20% is the customer. You have to know if the customer ready for this kind of project. You have to know if the customer knows what he wants to have after this project is complete. Sometimes the customer does not know what he is looking for. In that case, the project can never get finished. Yes, it is important to have a good software, but it is also important to have a good team doing the project and also have a very good understanding of the project from the customer side. All of these things together are very important.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Business One as an eight-out-of-ten. The additional features I would like to see to make it score higher is increased functionality supported for web browser access and more user-friendly forms and UI templates.

Other
AndriiBelinskyi
Head of IT at New Products
MRP functions help manage the entire supply chain

• "For us, the most useful feature of Business One is Material Requirements Planning (MRP)."
  • "We bought all licenses for the whole package in the very beginning, and now we're just paying for 404 licensed maintenance. It's a standard fee. Of course, we still pay partners for implementation."
  • "Business One doesn't have a proper master data management function."

What is our primary use case?

We are a beverage manufacturer in the fast-moving consumer goods sector that uses Business One throughout our whole supply chain. We start with forecasting, which is not calibrated well currently, and then we download the sales plan into SAP. Based on the sales plan, we provide plans for production via MRP algorithms. The primary function of Business One is to handle all this data we are getting about purchase orders, raw materials, packaging, etc. We also plan to acquire a production module for MRP II functionality, but we haven't acquired it yet and have not decided on the production model. Right now, upwards of 230 people using it, including salespeople, accountants, warehouse workers, production workers, purchase servers, and people who handle procurement. At the moment, it's all.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

First of all, Business One doesn't have a proper master data management function. So, with any implementation, we had to select the work provider and determine who is responsible for which category of data. We also have to set the data format of the master data, especially an SKU, which should be formatted as an SKU. This is a vast amount of work that involves all departments. Second, I would consider the supply chain. Each function is highly dependent on another function. We still have a 1C:Accounting system, but it's not a system at all. With Business One, you have too much spare functionality. It doesn't create value for the business, but it creates a higher workload for employees in terms of payer processes, administration, development, etc. It's not easy. Because of how mature the organization is, there is less readiness for change. I would not consider this satisfactory.

After working with Business One for a while, we are becoming more effective. However, we still have some issues involving business experts and even having a category of users like business process owners. We use almost all of Business One's functionality except maybe CRM. We don't yet use CRM. Also, we don't use forecasting because forecasting is internal in B1 forecasting. It only has two algorithms, which might not be enough for us. But it would be great to have more advanced forecasting functionality.

I've been using Business One for maybe two years.

The stability of Business One is pretty nice.

Scalability has been pretty good so far. We haven't had any serious mishaps yet. If you satisfy the hardware requirements, it's completely okay.

I have not had any direct contact with SAP technical support. Our support is provided by the partners.

We used a partner to set Business One up and we still use one. We are just customers. As far as maintenance goes, we have 10 people maintaining the solution counting only key users. There are about 10 more consultants and developers on top of that. We are still in the implementation phase.

We bought all licenses for the whole package in the very beginning, and now we're just paying for 404 licensed maintenance. It's a standard fee. Of course, we still pay partners for implementation.

We also considered Microsoft Dynamics 365 as well as 1C, which is a domestic solution. It's an accounting system. 1C is a little bit different. It's a four-on-two for forecasting. The 1C accounting system is widely used in Ukraine and Russia. If you compare Business One to, for example, S/4HANA, the price is much, much better. And the consultants are not so specialized if you compare it with S/4HANA, for example.

So in the case of S/4HANA, you should have a team of maybe at least five or six consultants dedicated to particular modules. In the case of Business One, you only need one or two — perhaps one is enough. It has competence in the whole chain, starting from procurement, production, and sales.

The functionality is much lighter than the big SAP, so you can have just one brain covering the whole process. It's easier to build and implement something as well as to improve it and communicate with different functions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP Business One eight out of 10. If you are considering implementing this solution, I recommend you start with the master data. Pay as much attention as possible to the master data and establish a dedicated function.

Learn what your peers think about SAP Business One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AK
GM North at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable with good pricing and a fairly easy initial setup

• "The product seems to be quite stable."
  • "It would be ideal if the reporting and dashboards were improved upon."

What is our primary use case?

The product is mainly used for digitalizing and automating finance and distribution and production as well as project planning, among other tasks. These processes are not really automated. Nowadays, customers are already using some database application ERP. They are most migrate from there to SAP, however, there are certain customers who are not using any database management system ERP.

What is most valuable?

The features around finance and financial accounting are very good.

There are those customers who also do manufacturing, and they find the cost controlling feature of ACP to be very relevant.

The production planning and maintenance models are very helpful.

The pricing of the solution is pretty good.

The product seems to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the reporting and dashboards were improved upon. There are some analytics that could be more robust and the business intelligence portion is lacking. There are some aspects that are lacking, meaning that clients need to go to third-party services in order to get viable results.

The product does have some scalability limitations, depending on how you need to scale.

We don't really use the solution ourselves. We are basically the implementation partner of SAP. We do not use SAP VIP products.

The stability has been very good overall. Our clients don't have any complaints. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and doesn't seem to have any bugs or glitches.

We typically deal with small to medium-sized organizations.

While the solution is scalable in terms of business expansion, it doesn't come out of the box. It's very specific to a company and its requirements. Therefore, you can't just add to it as the offering is rather bespoke. However, if a company grows in size and has the same requirements, it should be fine.

While I don't really deal with technical support myself, we have a Business One team that looks after it, and they have been in touch with SAP. The support is mainly for all of the customers and we normally provide the support necessary ourselves. The support is quite limited, however, we can handle most client queries ourselves and don't need too much assistance.

The initial setup is largely straightforward. That's my understanding. I do not do it personally, however, there is a team on-site that does it and they don't seem to have too many problems.

There are two parts to the setup. One is technical, and the other is functional. To set up the technical components of Business One is very easy. It is usually done in a few hours.  The functional aspect normally isn't that difficult, as compared to SAP S/4HANA, however, it takes at least three days to one week to set up the data.

The full deployment can take somewhere around three to four months.

We handle the maintenance for our customers.

I don't handle the implementation myself, however, we have an in-house team that manages the process.

The solution is less expensive than other solutions on the market. It's reasonably priced.

There are four main costs. That includes setup, maintenance, and support, for example. Costs vary according to if the setup is handled by the company or by a partner.

I am aware of other solutions, such as Microsoft Dynamics. They are more of a two-tier ERP and have cloud functionality.

What other advice do I have?

We're an SAP partner. We have a business relationship with the company.

We don't use the latest version of the solution. We tend to use the latest minus one.

While we have implemented it on the cloud, we largely deal with on-premise deployments.

Customers considering the solution should really figure out their requirements ahead of time. If they're planning to implement an ERP for a short period of time and make sure they get an ROI, Business One is a preferred option. It's important to understand the core business and the functionalities required. Understanding the business practices to be covered will help you communicate your needs and assess the correct requirements.

Overall, I would rate this solution at an eight out of ten. It's been a largely positive experience.

CS
Managing Director at a construction company with 1-10 employees
Holds data and traceable information

• "So there are a lot of features included with the ERP system."
  • "SAP could improve the performance of the business alignment with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP Business One as a back-office role for information on products. We use SAP APIs to connect directly to our financial systems and in the cloud and for customers. It supports SMEs. We have between 10 or 20 clients using ERP.ERP is used for food resource management and vehicle car sales business. The ERP system allows control, tracking, and reporting via analysis reports. It is also useful for sales reports and historical reporting, in addition to current productivity reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP holds more data and traceable information. Information on any issues is saved, and SAP can recreate errors on the NCP portal. Solutions to issues are also available. You can find SAP features on Android with Samsung phones.

What is most valuable?

Accounting is a good feature, hence why we use SAP Business One. We use a single application to handle and control our resources. We also leave it overnight to process our purchasing tasks. All this is held in one secure database. The system provides information on products sent out to the customer. The system holds data and AI voice data. It also includes accounting control. So there are a lot of features included with the ERP system. We support SAP as we have a lot of experience within the team.

What needs improvement?

We have 10 years of experience with SAP Business One.

Overall, the ERP solutions are stable, but it is more complicated and is not always stable for some customers. It helps to understand the product so you can manage it.

SAP is scalable, as the versions of HANA are constantly being updated. They are currently up to version 6.

Technical support is very good.

Setup is okay generally, but not so easy with integrated products such as Microsoft 365.

Implementation is often complicated on the manufacturing side, as it requires integrations with .net. It usually involves using highly skilled SAP consultancy. It is often difficult for the implementer to integrate add-ons and customization, which deviate from a standard installation. I often work with the implementor, and this helps my learning curve. It isn't easy to learn at the beginning. Sometimes, while the implementation occurs, people use Excel and other control documents as a workaround until the system is ready.

We have considered using an add-on to the pack using Oracle NetSuite. They don't have a simple method of using the console or for the implementer to create an add-on. They said it was difficult to communicate on the cloud. There were also some defects when they tried to control everything on their contact form. So it didn't work very well.

What other advice do I have?

It is simple for users to use, but we can design and understand how to customize the menus for technical staff. It takes a lot of experience to technically understand the environment, especially when you need to integrate other systems such as the HANA database. We need to have more Linux and freedom experience, but not as much as with Microsoft SQL Server. You also need network knowledge, which is something you can compare the HANA database to.

I would rate SAP at about 8 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
BA
Head Of Information Technology at Kasapreko
Good stability and technical support but needs careful implementation in order to be effective

• "Technical support is quite good. They are helpful and responsive. We are quite satisfied with their level of support."
  • "Our business has grown beyond the capabilities of Business One. We need a bigger ERP solution, and therefore we are moving away."

What is most valuable?

The solution is pretty straightforward to set up and gets easier over time.

Technical support has been quite good.

We've found the stability to be very good.

What needs improvement?

We aren't overly satisfied with the solution. We are moving away from it.

The solution needs to be implemented properly, otherwise, a company will not be able to get the full benefit of the product.

They need to do more with, budget planning within the solution, in terms of financial budgeting. Right now, we can only input values at our sales target, however, we can't input numbers. The solution also needs to look at the monthly balance. There will need to have some type of maintenance in there. Yet, there is no model for maintenance. If you buy it you need to go and find another solution for your maintenance however, if they can do a maintenance solution within this solution that that would be a wonderful thing.

I've been using the solution for seven years or so. It's been a while. I've spent a lot of time on it.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash and freeze. It's very reliable in terms of performance.

Our business has grown beyond the capabilities of Business One. We need a bigger ERP solution, and therefore we are moving away. We're looking at SAP S/4 HANA since we already use other SAP products.

We currently have 101 users. In the future, we'll be looking at 130 to 150 users.

We are actually going to move over to S/4HANA. We looked at Oracle, however, we decided on SAP as we already had SAP products. I've worked with a lot of ERP and other products, including other SAP products.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's pretty straightforward. However, at the outset, when we were fresh users, it seemed to be a bit complex. Over time, you get more and more comfortable with the process.

The price of the solution itself is not the issue, however, the cost of the licensing is strange. No other ERP that concurrent licensing. As I have what will be a hundred users at the time to use it, doesn't matter whether Samuel or George come on, SAP requires an individual attached to a license. That means even if a person is no longer a user, we have to untie the license so nobody can use that license. I need to fill it with a different person.

What other advice do I have?

I am a customer and end-user of the product.

I'd recommend the product to others. Anyone who wants to use SAP Business One should do so. It's a good solution. They need to get a good implementer, however, as if it's not implemented well, you will have issues.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten. At first, we really liked it, however, as of now, we need to change as it no longer meets our needs.

Shahzad-Islam
SAP Business One / Dynamics365FO / SAP ERP Implementer & Trainer at Freelance
Customizable with an easy initial setup and a simple interface

• "It offers users a rather simple interface."
  • "In terms of business processes, the production could use improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily implement the solution for manufacturing companies.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped with inventory, especially. Having the right inventory figures in the system has really helped companies. It's helpful in making cash orders for sales better due to the fact that the ordering approval process is streamlined.

What is most valuable?

The customization features are the solution's most valuable aspect. You can make user-defined fields and user-defined forms and those make life very easy for the business. The fact that you can do some customization without going into any coding is great.

It offers users a rather simple interface. I like its interface as it is nice and compact. It's user-friendly and easy to navigate.

The initial setup isn't too complicated.

What needs improvement?

If I compare it to bigger ERPs, I'd like to see some more time management options and maybe some better expense management features.

In terms of business processes, the production could use improvement. There could be more maintenance fields.

In some places, there are still many areas that could be enhanced.

I've been working with the solution for a long time. It's likely been over five years at this point.

I haven't noticed any problems with stability. Security-wise, I don't see any issues in the backend of the SQL server. It's okay due to the fact that it is closed off. The reports can become heavy on SQL, so it sometimes slows down.

In general, I haven't dealt with bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

If the solution was more customizable, it would be more scalable. We can scale it to some extent. However, it could be a bit better.

Typically, the partner or consultant provides technical support, and not the company itself. I wouldn't be able to directly comment on their own technical support. I don't have enough insight into it.

The initial setup isn't too complex. It's very straightforward. There is an implementation center for Business One, however, I didn't use any of it during this project. The project management activities in terms of the initial setup sometimes require authorization instead of initialization and it should maybe be better. In general, though, it's pretty logical.

The pricing is pretty good. It's not bad if you compare it to other software on the market - such as Microsoft GP or AX.

What other advice do I have?

Due to the countries I work in, largely on-premises deployments are the norm and are preferred.

I used to work with different companies for Business One because my main job is as an implementer. I work as an ERP manager as well, however, my main work is implementation.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been mostly very happy with the product.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
GK
Financial Controller at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
Reliable, easy to use and install

• "It's simple to use and very direct."
  • "I am not sure if it has an HR and Payroll functionality, but it would be helpful and make it a more complete ERP if they could put the HR and Payroll functionality in it."

What is our primary use case?

I work in a small college. It is a small to medium-sized enterprise, with few requirements. We are in the service sector and this product works for us.

We have done some integrations with our operational software. We are doing the billing, warehouse management, and inventory management.

We are doing financials.

We also do a full end-to-end procurement from purchasing.

What is most valuable?

It's simple to use and very direct.

I like the simplicity and that it's not very complicated.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some shortcuts. Sometimes, you find that you have used some ERPs and other systems that make use of external data from applications such as Excel. If you have some information in Excel and you want to easily customize it for entry for SAP then this is an area that is a problem. If you want to do this then it becomes difficult. I know that there are avenues where it can be done, but it becomes difficult. It is much more difficult when you compare it with what I have experienced with some other systems.

I have been worked with this solution for six years.

It's a stable solution. We haven't had any limitations yet.

We have approximately 50 users.

We haven't contacted technical support through SAP.

We have a local support partner here. When we have some small issues, we are able to go through them and they help us.

The initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't very difficult.

We don't require a team for maintenance.

We feel that the licensing fees are a bit on the higher side. If there is a scope for reductions, it would be very welcome.

The price could always be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Business One to someone who is the in the scale of what we do. It's a pretty stable system. That said, there is always room for improvement in any product.

KL
IT Head at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Good licensing model, simple, and stable, but not suitable for large enterprises

• "It is quite simple, and it is suitable for medium and small businesses."
  • "Our company is expanding to different countries, and business is growing. We feel that it is not good enough for the huge volume of the business. On-premises setup is not good enough for the overseas office. We have our onsite premises in Hong Kong, but we have a major sales office in the US. We are looking for a more efficient setup to fulfill our requirements and needs. It can have portals for vendors, suppliers, and customers. I know that they have this feature in version 10, but it still has space to improve."

What is most valuable?

It is quite simple, and it is suitable for medium and small businesses.

What needs improvement?

Our company is expanding to different countries, and business is growing. We feel that it is not good enough for the huge volume of the business. On-premises setup is not good enough for the overseas office. We have our onsite premises in Hong Kong, but we have a major sales office in the US. We are looking for a more efficient setup to fulfill our requirements and needs.

It can have portals for vendors, suppliers, and customers. I know that they have this feature in version 10, but it still has space to improve.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable. There are some limitations, but they are there because we are using quite an old version. We are using version 9.2, which is no longer supported by the SAP. When we have to find any issue or any bug, it is not easy to find a way to resolve it. This is not really a product issue.

We get support from a local service provider. They also did the implementation of this solution. We have a good relationship with them for the enhancements on the software in the offices.

Its initial setup is simple. It was not done by me, but I know that it is not so complicated to set up.

We have a consultant firm that helps us with the setup.

Its licensing model is good. There is a one-off payment for the software license, and after that, you only need to pay the annual maintenance fee. Compared to other cloud-based systems, this cost model is quite reasonable for SMEs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution depending on the nature and the size of the business. For SMEs with a simple business model, SAP Business One is good enough to meet their needs, but for big enterprises, SAP ECC would be more suitable.

I would rate SAP Business One a seven out of ten.

Product Categories
ERP
Download our free SAP Business One Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.