SAP Data Services OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Data Services is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Quality tools. It is most often compared to Azure Data Factory: SAP Data Services vs Azure Data Factory

What is SAP Data Services?

You cannot afford to run your business on questionable data. With SAP® Data Services software, you can access, transform, and connect data to fuel your critical business processes. Together, these enterprise-class solutions enable data integration and data quality, providing the right level of insight across your business so you can make better decisions and operate more effectively.

SAP Data Services is also known as SAP BusinessObjects Data Services, SAP BusinessObjects Data Integrator, BusinessObjects Data Integrator.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

SAP Data Services Customers

EMC Corporation, LivePerson, Eldorado, Mozzart, The VELUX Group, AOK Bundesverband, Hilti Group, Nissha Printing Company Ltd., Asian Paints, Aareal Bank Group, Migros Group

SAP Data Services Video

Archived SAP Data Services Reviews (more than two years old)

Muzaffer Yontem
Project Delivery Manager at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Helps us to collect and analyze data and has enabled us to increase our product line

• "It is a powerful product with a broad range of features."
  • "Newer feature integration is lagging behind the company acquisitions and the product could do more to service a broader range of devices."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is just, one-hundred percent, ERP purposes. We were typically Business Intelligence guys and we were not focusing on dealing with the data in-house. After the acquisition of this product, we were led to believe that it was a good business development opportunity for us as well and that we could become a candidate for data analysis projects. Because of the fact that we were based in Istanbul, we quickly became number one in the region for data analysis projects. We used this product in the telecom business. A few of these companies we worked with are still using the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

After discovering and deploying this product for our own use in data analysis, we were able to branch out and use it to increase our product line and deploy for other organizations.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps us to collect and analyze data, and this is the most valuable feature for us. When we first used data services right after  SAP acquisition (previously Acta), we knew that we could deal with DWH projects much more easier way using the tool. Moreover, we were also sure that strong integration with BusinessObjects BI platform was also going to help us for impack analysis, automatic business layer creation etc.

What needs improvement?

An area that seems to need to be improved in this product is that it isn't completely ready to compete as it should in the market. Because of some more recent acquisitions to enhance functionality, the product parts are not one-hundred percent integrated. Because some of the integration is still missing, it seems incomplete. People with the product should be able to use most features, generally. The main differentiation in the past product from where it is now is that the product feels like it was integrated. After the acquisitions, things became more complicated. In SAP, the added products and features lack better integration and that impacts things like the metadata. So that is why I believe it can be improved. It's a GUI issue, mostly.

I'm sure this next suggestion is already done to some extent in SAP because SAP is already HANA but it seems SAP — as one of the software giants — is not making the most of their advantage to position data services as a stand-alone product. This is a problem in the market for greater acceptance, but maybe it's the strategy that SAP has chosen. But I believe that it could do better that way and increase the speed of performance. For example, some of the functionality might sit in memory. It would be using the HANA advantage, for example, but without the service to HANA. So maybe we limit certain functionality to HANA. I believe that some of the jobs with higher priority can be done in the memory of the data services which could be differentiating the product from the rest of the market more clearly.

We've been using this solution since 2007.

The product is quite stable and quite scalable. Because of our market, some companies are not convinced that these features can possibly be so good, and the cost is not helping to market the product. They want to see an example of how it is scalable. We had telecom data in our last project, and we know it works fine and we haven't had any problem. But somehow this kind of negative impression is common in our market. I believe this is just because of a lack of knowledge and not based on reality.

In the past, we have had about twenty to twenty-five users in the company. We had five to seven developers who were doing our development. On the customer side, we didn't have more than three or four for the development of external projects.

I think it may be that SAP can improve in the area of customer support because SAP is historically a data solution company. Unfortunately, they can open themselves up to better or broader product support and that this is not up to a desirable level in the marketplace. I believe the product as a whole should be improved much more to support a wider range of devices and clients.

Before using SAP, we were using SSIS — the Microsoft product. Of course, the Microsoft product is a simple product. At some point, we realized that it was not powerful enough, and, feeling discouraged, we evolved to using a better product.

Just last week we installed data services to impact data sharing in one of the bigger companies we work for and from an implementation point of view, the ease of setup is okay, I believe.

To be honest, because of the economic situation we are in we always install on-premises. This is because of the Turkish market and some telecom companies aren't quite ready to elect to deploy on the cloud. So the business environment here is not ready yet.

We do our own installations and install for other companies.

I'm not up to date about the pricing for the past three years as it is not my concern in the business, but I can advise users on some things. Since data services are not usually positioned as a stand-alone product in the telecom sector, I believe that it should be. The price should be segmented with attention to the market with some variety in enterprise packages to offer more marketing opportunities. In the past, they had some kind of pricing packaging coming from the distribution center which was definitely an advantage in the market and that's why we were able to get more than twenty projects in the past, including staying within the enterprise market. Then after that time, the pricing changed. Unfortunately, of course, SAP tried to increase revenue and the prices went up. But again, they are losing the market against products like Microsoft SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services). It is integration services, and it's also a good product for a lot of people, but in my opinion, it's not as good as SAP data services. Because of the price, the game now has changed and there is more competition.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, when one is the worst and ten is the best, I think I would rate SAP Data Services BI a nine out of ten. For me, a product needs to be perfect to rate as a ten. I couldn't even give a ten to any product because I haven't seen any product that is perfect. My true feeling is that it is between eight and nine, but if I have to say eight or nine, I choose nine.

I can recommend SAP as a product because the negative side of the product usually comes from different approaches to development. In a way, this is a kind of marketing because some developers prefer to use one type of development where they feel comfortable and think data services can be implemented properly. I believe there are better data services approaches which are much more of an advantage in the long run for projects, but of course, people don't always project the best long-term data approach because they expect short term results.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We were distributor of BusinessObjects as well as SAP after BO acquisition of SAP.
RD
Public Affairs Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Handles financial reporting but needs voice recognition

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for financial reporting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user interface.

What needs improvement?

This product could improve the uploading of documents and the amount of time it takes to upload. The required typing could be minimized by adding Voice recognition.

I have been using SAP Data Services for eight years.

It takes some time to get familiar with this solution.

Our company has one hundred and twenty thousand people around the world that use many SAP solutions.

We are happy with technical…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for financial reporting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user interface.

What needs improvement?

The required typing could be minimized by adding Voice recognition.

I have been using SAP Data Services for eight years.

It takes some time to get familiar with this solution.

We are happy with technical support and we have had no problems with it.

The initial setup is complex. It takes time to get used to.

Pricing is good. We don't have any problems with it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product, but nothing is perfect, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Informatica, Microsoft and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ZH
Technical Project Manager Big Data and BI - Banking at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy code writing and good stability but needs integration with big data solutions

• "The fact that it's built on SQL, it makes it easy to write code. The database and the connection are quite smooth."
  • "The description of error messages isn't extensive, although they point to the problem. With other solutions, like Talend, I was able to use the debugger to get directly to the problem, but with SAP Data Services the debugger is not working. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the version specifically, but I'm using it in an enterprise environment and I can't do an upgrade."

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's built on SQL, makes it easy to write code. Also, the database and the connection are quite smooth.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks user-friendly features. Compared to other integration tools I've used before, it's less user-friendly and the built-in features just aren't sufficient.

The description of error messages isn't extensive, although they do point out the problems. With other solutions, like Talend, I was able to use the debugger to get directly to the problem, but with SAP Data Services the debugger is not working. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the version specifically, but I'm using it in an enterprise environment and I can't do an upgrade.

The query feature does not allow a lot of flexibility in building the code. They need to make progress with this feature as well.

In future releases, I'd like to see the integration of a big data solution within SAP Data Services. I don't know if they offer that right now. The version I have is quite basic. If I was able to use more data sources with other software, and have the solution be more compliant with more data source types and big data sources, that would be helpful.

I've been using the solution for 1.5 years.

I would rate the stability seven out of ten. It's good, but it's not the best.

I wasn't part of the initial setup, so I can't speak directly to the implementation of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises version of the solution. We work on the enterprise version and have a few hundred users.

I like the platform. It's quite robust. It's just there are little improvements that could make the solution better, but it's quite a good tool.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

NizarAhmad
BI & EIS Manager Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution with a straightforward setup but cloud integration is not available

• "The logic is also simple. It makes it easy to build your extraction."
  • "Scheduling of jobs in the sequence is not available. It's a very tedious process to do that particular task. If there was a tool to schedule in the sequence that would be extremely helpful."

What is most valuable?

SAP Data Services is a very general tool for SAP as a source and SAP as a destination. It can also connect to any source and any destination. This is a very valuable aspect of the solution.

The logic is simple. It makes it easy to build your extraction.

You can also do data transformation any way you want to. You can do any kind of transformation to your data and you can change the data.

What needs improvement?

There is a new tool that is going to replace this one, which will be more for platform integration data services. This is a close-knit tool that SAP is suggesting for different solutions. There's a lot lacking in it. You cannot do a lot of transformations. We are facing a lot of issues from that. As a whole, Data Services, is good, but not the platform integration of the Data Services aspect.

The preview for on-prem data services needs more information. The scheduling is also weak. Scheduling of jobs in the sequence is not available. It's a very tedious process to do that particular task. If there was a tool to schedule in the sequence that would be extremely helpful.

I've been using the solution for 3.5 years.

The system is very stable. We have not faced any challenges since implementation.

Scalability is not an issue with this solution.

We have not used a single technical support call for SAP, which is great. As a whole, technical support was good, but recently we have been facing a delay because unless you raise a call with a very high priority there is a delay in the support. A very high priority means you have a financial loss or your computer system is not accessible. I would say the quality of support has been degrading as of late but we are somewhat satisfied with support overall.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not too complex.

SAP services handled the implementation. It was part of a larger implementation called a Systems Operations Planning Tool.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the solution. We have started using the Cloud Platform Integration with the CPA Data Service. It's a hybrid: both on-premises and cloud.

SAP Data Services has a tool, but it is not a cloud-capable solution. I would advise users thinking about integrating this solution to look at your entire landscape. If you have any cloud systems as part of your landscape, then you need to have a clear understanding of what BODS is capable of doing. BODS Data Services is not good for the cloud.

I would rate this solution seven out of ten because cloud integration is not available and the scheduling part is very immature at this point.

FS
Director with self employed
It offers short development time and pre-built processes for data migration and DQ

What is our primary use case?

Data migration and data quality.

How has it helped my organization?

It offers short development time and pre-built processes.

What is most valuable?

Ease of development.

What needs improvement?

Big data, real-time connectivity without the need to use SAP Replication Server

Excellent too

Excellent, you build a network of Job Servers to balanced the execution load

Local teams always available, plus direct support from Walldorf if required

I'm using SAP Data…

What is our primary use case?

Data migration and data quality.

How has it helped my organization?

It offers short development time and pre-built processes.

What is most valuable?

Ease of development.

What needs improvement?

Big data, real-time connectivity without the need to use SAP Replication Server

Excellent too

Excellent, you build a network of Job Servers to balanced the execution load

Local teams always available, plus direct support from Walldorf if required

I'm using SAP Data Services since it was an OEM product in Cognos in 1998

Data Services itself, none. The must difficult (kind of) ids to setup the databases connectivity for sources and targets.

In-House

Lower time to put applications in Production

The SAP Data Services EE License has all the additional products for enterprise wide data delivery, like Information Steward, Event Stream Processing, etc.

None, because other products cannot connect to SAP generating ABAP code to access pool and cluster tables

GG
President at i-DValue
Enables ability to change the source and target from Oracle to SQL without changing your code

What is our primary use case?

• Data warehousing project (with CDC or comparison table to update our histories).
  • Four sources: SQL Server, Oracle, SAP ECC, Excel file.
  • One target: Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
  • Complex transformation to load the Data Warehouse (good and simple optimization).

How has it helped my organization?

• It's very simple to build a data flow.
  • The development is faster than SSIS or Talend.
  • Impact analysis is very useful to know who used this KPI (the report on the user that had access to this report).
  • Profiling data is very useful to know the interesting fields.

What is most valuable?

• Portability of development (you can change your source/target from Oracle to SQL without changing your code).
  • Web console monitoring.
  • Auto-documentation.
  • Simple toolbox with all you need.

What needs improvement?

• Development with web tool (today is with client tool).
  • Connection to Active Directory to extract user and group.
  • A PaaS cloud service (today is on-premise).
  • Better connection to SAP BW.

More than five years.
Business Intelligence and Decision Support Team Leader at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
ETL and third-party data integration are great features, but inadequate data analysis and data profiling has increased testing and user-acceptance duration.

What is most valuable?

ETL is very useful. We use Data Services not only with data warehouse development but also integration with other 3rd parties and external data.

How has it helped my organization?

We have integration with 30 different systems now. Business users manual data-entry load has decreased, and data between different systems are consistent in almost-real time.

We can develop time-based, visualized analyses with our BI platform, and four years ago, business users had to prepare their complex records in Excel every time they needed data reports. Now they only need to refresh reports. On the other hand, business users were only able to query data four years ago, but now their visions are changing and they are now performing data mining and forecast analyses.

What needs improvement?

Data mining and more visualized reports are the next steps.

We had to deal with data quality problems.

It has inadequate data analysis and data profiling, which has increased testing and user acceptance duration.

BO Web Intelligence, v4.0 is more unstable than XI v3.x. We’ll upgrade to v4.1 in Q3.

No, we did not.

Setup was straightforward, but the customization and implementation process was complex.

We started with a vendor-partner, but now we have in-house team and still get consultancy advice from the partner.

• Cognos
  • Microsoft SSIS
  • SSRS

What other advice do I have?

First, perform an analysis of your business users' requirements.

The data quality and your data warehouse models are the most important parts of a BI project. Design the model from both business requirements and source data. Make sure you involve business users from the beginning and explain the advantages of business intelligence to the data life-cycle well. Assign a short and attractive name to the web site and/or tool that users can remember easily and will like.

it_user163365
Sr Solution Architect, Data at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Matching Transforms are quite complex but Connectivity with SAP is a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

Connectivity with SAP and low impact on SAP environments. Also overall stability of the product.

How has it helped my organization?

Kellogg (the company I work for) used this product for data migration into the new SAP environment that we have established for North America. We also used the tool during the Pringles acquisition.

What needs improvement?

Matching Transforms are quite complex.

5 years.

No issues that would impact our timelines.

Data Services is extremely stable and stability information steward is considerably higher in version 4.2 than it was at the initial version 4.0.

Easy to scale horizontally or vertically.

Satisfied.

Needs improvement as far as responsiveness.

I was not directly involved at the initial setup.

I heard Kellogg used a combination of SAP and Accenture for the initial setup.

Data Quality has an indirect ROI and we have not derived a fixed number.

Since I was not involved with the initial setup I am not able to answer a question about the start-up cost. As far as day-to-day cost, it is minimal (1/4 FTE) due to its stability.

What other advice do I have?

Depends on the environment. If you are connecting to SAP environment I would recommend involvement of a 3rd party vendor with experience.

it_user162117
Consultant at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Auto documentation & recovery of jobs are valuable but when working with custom functions, repeatedly fails to execute.

Valuable Features

1. Impact and Lineage analysis.
  2. Auto Documentation.
  3. Recovery of jobs.
  4. Text Data Processing.

Improvements to My Organization

I've done a migration project (from OWB to BODS) in Singapore. The reason customer opted for BODS over OWB was automated trigger E-mail when job fails and the recovery of the jobs from the point it failed in the last execution. Also, when loading data from flat files, once the data loading from a file is complete BODS is capable enough to call any batch files to move the processed files to another location after completion.

Room for Improvement

When working with custom functions, many times it fails to execute (from 4.0 onwards) because of the data types mismatch errors. This has to be corrected.

Use of Solution

More than 6 Years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

100% as no manual intervention is required once the solution is implemented.

100%.

It was quite straightforward for me as I had experience with other ETL tools and the concepts.

Implementation Team

Through vendor team and the level of expertise was satisfactory.

Other Solutions Considered

OWB.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Partner with the vendor.
it_user157935
Manager, Data and Analytics at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Ensure you invest in training early. You need someone with prior experience on your team – if not, use consultants.

What is most valuable?

SAP ERP and Salesforce.com integration.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have a single ETL tool for all data integration.

What needs improvement?

Technical Support; platform and database version support.

Three and a half years.

Yes, with some of the SAP extractors.

Customer Service: Fair. Technical Support: Not good enough.

Yes. We previously used Microsoft SSIS, but found this a poor solution for our…

What is most valuable?

SAP ERP and Salesforce.com integration.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have a single ETL tool for all data integration.

What needs improvement?

Technical Support; platform and database version support.

Three and a half years.

Yes, with some of the SAP extractors.

Fair.

Not good enough.

Yes. We previously used Microsoft SSIS, but found this a poor solution for our environment. It lacked strong integration with SAP or Salesforce and had extremely limited support for web services.

Initial setup was fairly simple.

In-house.

Estimate this saves us 2 headcount.

Only Microsoft.

it_user158871
Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, but a lot of versions over the years which makes it hard to sync up with older versions of the same tool.

Valuable Features

Scalability and easy to use.

Room for Improvement

There are a lot of version improvements in the years and makes it hard to sync up with older versions of the same tool.

Use of Solution

1 Year.

It is very stable and doesn't crash easily.

Nope.

Customer Service: On a Scale of 1-5, I would give them 3. Technical Support: On a Scale of 1-5, I would give them 3.

It was already setup on the client system. I used it just for ETL purpose.

Pretty Good

Other Advice

Its a very great tool to be used for ETL process. It has support for all the databases and in most cases, it generates SQL by itself which is a big help for beginners.

Valuable Features

Scalability and easy to use.

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

1 Year.

It is very stable and doesn't crash easily.

Nope.

On a Scale of 1-5, I would give them 3.

On a Scale of 1-5, I would give them 3.

It was already setup on the client system. I used it just for ETL purpose.

Pretty Good

Other Advice

it_user158865
Business System Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Unusual behavior of tables where only solution is to recreate them could be improved but custom functions were valuable.

What is most valuable?

Lineage analysis where used, export options, custom functions, connectivity to Business Warehouse (BW).

How has it helped my organization?

Fast data load to BW PSA, more integration options between different DBs.

What needs improvement?

Connections to DBs (datastores), unusual behavior of temp. and permanent tables that just get corrupted sometimes and only solution is to recreate them or re-import from data store.

1 year.

Sudden crashing of DS making unsaved changes lost, happens usually when logged in for a long amount of time.

Nope, its good in extending the features in terms of DWH scalability.

Good support is available via consultants.

Previously BW was being used, but is was a closed system , we had new source application which contained information in oracle and SQL DBs, and BW wasn't very good at loading the data in schedules.

Nope, because of its connectivity to BW it was choosen

it_user158793
Coordinator of response units at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
​​Its setup is straightforward; solution gave us an easy way to collect different data sources into an analytic DB.

Valuable Features:

Friendly interface and online jobs.

Improvements to My Organization:

It gave us an easy way to collect different data sources into an analytic DB.

Use of Solution:

3 years.

Initial Setup:

It is straightforward.

Implementation Team:

I did it.

Other Advice:

It's a good product which does not require deep knowledge of programming and integrates well with SAP othet products.

Valuable Features:

Friendly interface and online jobs.

Improvements to My Organization:

It gave us an easy way to collect different data sources into an analytic DB.

Use of Solution:

3 years.

Initial Setup:

It is straightforward.

Implementation Team:

I did it.

it_user154632
Director - Customer Intelligence at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Development enviorment setup was straightforward, production was more complex.

Valuable Features

Data Quality and ETL. The product has fantastic data quality options and matching/consolidation features. The ETL is very powerful and easy to use.

Improvements to My Organization

We were able to increase data quality on the back-end. We didn't have great front-end capture. We are also able to add additional data sources very easily.

Room for Improvement

Error logging is very cryptic. Embedded Data flows are only customizable on either input or output, not both.

Use of Solution

5 Years

Sometimes with complex data flows. But generally a stable product.

No. We had a very good admin. Scalability requires a lot of product knowledge.

Same as most large companies. Ok.

Ok. We had the benefit of a Platinum consultant on the project so he was able to escalate issues easily.

Wasn't personally involved, but was straightforward for the development environment. Production was more complex.

Implementation Team

In-house. We had an expert.

ROI

Don't remember exact ROI, but saved many hours in development and maintenance by using the tool.

Other Solutions Considered

Informatica. Wasn't as easy to use as Data Services and the data quality was not as robust.

it_user157926
Business Intelligence Engineer at a religious institution with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's certainly competitive with similar products, although one could argue that there are better products on the market.

Valuable Features:

The graphical user interface and powerful SQL generation capabilities make the coding of ETL flows very easy and efficient. The ability to easily run processes in parallel or sequentially is also very valuable. Overall the ease of use is Data Services key benefit.

Room for Improvement:

While Data Services performs very well when dealing with relational structures and to a lesser degree with delimited files, there is significant room from improvement with the integration with web services and related data formats (XML, JSON, etc.). We have had to code our own ETL processes in Python or Java to extract data from all but the simplest web services.

Use of Solution:

Three years.

Other Advice:

If you have a need to access non-relational data sources, review the tool’s capabilities for your specific use cases very carefully.

Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Doing De-Deduplication of data for Data Cleansing is much easier, but it needs a web client.

What is most valuable?

Data Quality Transforms, Data Cleanse, Platform, Match.

How has it helped my organization?

Doing De-Deduplication of data for Data Cleansing is much easier and has been revolutionised with Data Services. Especially used in conjunction with SAP Information Stewards.

What needs improvement?

It needs a Web-client.

2 years.

Sometimes when re-installing the product, the program corrupts and needs to be completely removed. Its wastes a lot of time.

None

Sometimes when upgrading the product, the program corrupts and needs to be completely removed. Its wastes a lot of time.

It could be better.

Could also be better. There are still a few niggles that need to be sorted out and it seems that SAP are a bit slow on the comeback.

SSIS. I switched because a) my current company specialises in Data Services and b) because DS is the best tool for working with SAP ERP and SAP Hana.

Straight forward.

In-house.

SSIS only.

What other advice do I have?

Prepare well, read the installation guide and make sure you have all the boxes ticked before going ahead and installing.

it_user157620
Microstrategy Developer Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The initial setup was straightforward and complex projects are in the pipeline.

I am Microstrategy BI developer with 6 years experience and with 1 year experience on SAP Data Services.

Out of 5, I would give SAP Data Services technical support a 4.5. The technical support from SAP was quick and technically very clear. The way the issues are being reviewed and the response we receive are great.

The first ETL tool being implemented is SAP Data Services and it was implemented during 2008.

The product was implemented by a third party consulting company. The implementation was good from a technical perspective, but there were few flaws in the business logic which the third party consulting team should have gained from the in-house business analysts.

Since I recently joined a year ago, I am not sure whether any other tool was evaluated along with this ETL tool.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise implementing SAP Data services using a Unix platform rather than a windows platform.

it_user157611
Project Leader with 5,001-10,000 employees
With the dataflows created in Dataservices, the customer could load and consolidate data from three different offices.

What is most valuable?

The easy integration with SAP Systems and the possibility to create a dataflow which is executed directly in the SAP system source.

How has it helped my organization?

With the dataflows created in Dataservices, the customer could load and consolidate data from three different offices (USA, Europe and Argentina) using the same dataflows for every company.

What needs improvement?

We used a different repository for every consultant and it created problems to maintain the final version of each dataflow in every user. I think there should exist a common repository (as well as in BO reporting suite tools) and give the different accesses via authorization roles.

I used it for 10 months.

The biggest problem was the maintenance of difference repositories.

The stability problems were caused by hardware configuration. My doubt is if Dataservice is difficult to configure or there was a lack of knowledge in the Basis team.

No, we didn't. Actually the dataflows constructed were completely scalable.

No, in that project we only used BO Dataservices.

I think it is easy to use. When we started to use it we had never worked with Dataservices and we could adapt to it easily because the main functions are similar to other tools.

The implementation was with a vendor team. Actually I was the project manager of the vendor and the level of expertise in ETL projects was high but it was our first experience with DataServices.

We only had the net margin of the project construction and it was about 15%.

As the person in charge of the consultancy, we didn’t have costs.

Before working with Dataservices I had worked with other solutions, but in this project we had no choice of another tool. Anyway, I think that Dataservices was a good choice because every source was SAP.

What other advice do I have?

From my point of view, Dataservices is a good ETL choice if there are SAP systems in the sources or the targets (it can help to make BW transformations much easier). In general I would say that it is very important to have a good source and destination definition before implementing anything, as well as in any other ETL tool.

Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A little trouble handling parallel batch jobs in one job, but helps align your information with the business process.

What is most valuable?

- Its single infrastructure for Data Migration and Data Integration.

- Heterogeneous processing with broad database support.

- Parsing, Standardization and Cleansing the Data.

- Matching and consolidation of records.

- Multi-user support and security with central repository.

- Instant trace-ability with impact analysis and data lineage functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps our organization and our clients achieve its goals and objectives by having the right information at the right time and at the right people.

We can standardize business information though data is disparate or came from many sources like flat files (CSVs, Textfiles, Excel files), RDBMS, Application Systems and etc.

With this product you can align your information with the business process and can provide Enterprise Data Warehouse that will suit to your reporting needs.

What needs improvement?

I think it has a little trouble handling more users running parallel batch jobs in one job server but minimal.

SAP BusinessObjects Data Services 3.1,3.2, 4.0 and 4.1 (SAP) for 5.3 years

Yes but minimal and can be resolve quickly.

None.

None.

4.5 out of 5.

4.5 out of 5.

Yes, because its more dynamic and has so many features.

Straightforward. You just have to follow the guides, check Product Availability Matrix (PAM) and if issues related to sources and targets arise do some research.

Both. 4.7 out of 5.

300%.

What other advice do I have?

You can leverage this product in all your business needs regarding data or information or any business requirements in the systems but first you must find a dedicated consultant or developer for this product and they should also train the people from your organization.