SAP ERP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP ERP is #1 ranked solution in top ERP tools. IT Central Station users give SAP ERP an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP ERP is most commonly compared to Anaplan:SAP ERP vs Anaplan. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is SAP ERP?
SAP ERP addresses the core business software requirements of midsize and large organizations in all industries and sectors. SAP ERP includes four individual solutions that support key areas of enterprise resource planning: human capital management, financials, operations, corporate services.
SAP ERP Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SAP ERP Customers
B&G Manufacturing, Unilever, Life is good Inc., Joy Global Inc., City of Cape Town, Bhopal Municipal, Corporation (BMC), adidas Group, Butcher & Packer Supply Company, Franklin Valve L.P., Evoshield, Prime Meats, a Norsan Group company, EMC Corporation, Varian Medical Systems Inc., FC Bayern Mªnchen AG, AkzoNobel Chemicals B.V., T¾V Rheinland, Pacific Drilling S.A., Fire & Rescue New South Wales, University of Amsterdam, Pa_alon S.A.
SAP ERP Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP ERP pricing:
  • "When you have a solution that is stable, reliable, and has a high performance as this solution, the price is going to be expensive. However, when you evaluate the service you are paying for the cost is quite reasonable for this solution."

SAP ERP Reviews

Najva Mahdzadeh
Senior Business Process Analyst (BPM-BPMS) at Jiring
This is the best solution of this kind but has weakness in budget planning for certain user groups

• "It is the best solution in the class of ERP products."
  • "It provides great visibility into the details of enterprise resource planning."
  • "The product does not update budgeting based on exchange rates which is important for BPM."
  • "It is very expensive to customize to meet compliance with regulations in some countries."

What is our primary use case?

In this company, we are using only two modules, which are for purchase and sale. There is some part of the financial process involved as well. What our company has is not an enterprise version of SAP. So in my experience with the company, when I am modeling the purchase process, is not the same as using the full SAP ERP process at all. We use a process model in which we are utilizing SAP for some stages and after that, the process goes to another BPMS (Business Process Management Solution). We use Camunda BPM for additional processing.

The major problem that we have using SAP ERP in Iran is that we can not customize our complete process in compliance with regulations when using the full version and all its features. This has to do somewhat with the process we want to use. Customizing ERP SAP for what we need to do is very expensive and it is not within the budget of many companies in our country. So the company I work for is seeing SAP as one, two, or three parts of a larger process and using it where we can.

It is really the most important problem for the people in my country when they are using SAP ERP. They can not model their process exactly in the standard processes of SAP. The customization is too expensive (it is not low-code). That is the reason that SAP is not more widely used in my country. It needs to be customized (coding) or it is not going to work the way it needs to for compliance. if your company is in low level of maturity, it will be hard or even impossible that processes follow the SAP default processes.

Companies pay a lot of money for SAP ERP and large companies in Iran are paying for that and it is said that the project was a mistake due to not knowing what was needed and what SAP was providing for them. But all the people I know can not afford the cost to make it work the way it needs to.

How has it helped my organization?

As far as I know, not only did not it help the organization to improve its processes, but also it  did not shorten the length of processes. in fact it made the processes more longer than what it was, due to the low organizational and process maturity level (processes could not be the exact ERP processes, they need to be customized).

What is most valuable?

I think that the ability to describe details of processes in ERP is significant comparing to BPMS.in SAP ERP it is the most interesting thing to me that there are many details prepared in advance which are very slight but important, although it may not be suitable for everyone who wants an ERP or BPMS that is less complex and easier to use.  for example; if you want to submit a PO, the SAP have prepared all the details you need to submit in advance. All I am trying to say is that it is kind of a perfect best practice to use.

What needs improvement?

I can not completely understand or agree with this opinion, but people say that the SAP ERP's UI/UX (User Interface/User Experience) is awful. It is true that it is very complicated. When employers in a company want to use ERP, you are going to have some complexity and even conflicts. All people can not use ERP because it is complicated to use almost by nature. Because it is difficult to use, some people like our junior financial staffs will not usually be able to work with it because of the complexity.

For me, I really like the product and the possibilities because I can use it to see all of the details that I want. SAP ERP is very good for a production company that has physical products because they can use it perfectly and see all the details about the business processes that they need to know. I have not experienced other ERP solutions or other ERP software but, as far as I know, SAP ERP is very full-featured and offers good visibility into processes. This is the purpose of the product.

Although it may be good for me and other technical and advanced business users, the UI/UX could be a lot better. I think that especially in some of the financial modules, they need to have some improvements in budget control. It is an important component for planning and it is not being handled well for all users. That we can not do more with controlling budgeting with an ERP solution means that the solution has some weaknesses in it.

It is a sort of tangential problem with the product. Because of extreme changes in the dollar exchange rate, when you want to put in a PO (purchase order) the price will change as time passes. By the day you need to pay the bill, it could be more than the budget that was projected. That is an example of the reason why we can not control our budget. The dollar exchange rate is changing daily and even hourly in our country. We want to be able to control the budget in SAP, but it does not update the budget field in the form in real-time values of the exchange rates. Our company can not use this feature and we have to do the budgeting part manually.

I have more than five years of experience in this area of business process analysis, but I am fairly new with this company. I have only been with them for about six months. I am currently working with them on SAP ERP (Systems Applications and Products, Enterprise Resource Planning) for about one month.

I have only been using this product for one month, but in one month I saw some bugs. So there are areas where it needs improvement still and can continue to be better. SAP is better than other ERPs and mostly with fewer bugs, I guess. In some cases, it is better than other solutions as far as stability. I am not a software engineer and this is only from what I experience. A software engineer can tell more details about scalability.

When working with the program, it sometimes just slows down. Even in large companies that have a lot of resources, lag happens sometimes. If it takes two to five minutes to load the data, we get used to it. We can not do anything else but wait.

SAP ERP has been used in many large companies, so I guess it has a reputation for being scalable. In my company, we have about 10 to 20 people using the product. But we are a small part related to a large company . In that parent company, there are somewhere between 2,000 or 3,000 people who are using SAP.

I do not know if other ERP solutions have a heatmap to show where there is the most activity. SAP ERP does not have this feature. Camunda has a heatmap that is used with the optimize and Cockpit module. The heatmap in Camunda gives you a perfect view of your company process. The map shows exactly where the processes have some difficulties at a glance. For example, it will show where the most steps are used and where work slows down with bottlenecks. Having this information can give you insight into improving your larger view of your process and where it is working or not. You can see the whole picture in one window, and you can see all the stages of the process. You can easily define where it is most important to work on making improvements.

What other advice do I have?

Because we can not do customizations of SAP easily in our company and because of its cost, I can not recommend SAP ERP to people in a similar situation because I know that it would be a failure for them. But because of the issues with expenditure and because of the dollar exchange rate problems, my advice to these people is to use some opensource solution for BPMS like Bizagi, or Camunda, or Bonita.

If the technical people in the company can support the Java behind it, Bonita is the best of these solutions as a choice for their company in my opinion.

On the scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would still rate SAP ERP as an eight-out-of-ten. It is a good rating for a good product. I think it is one of the best in the world but it does not work in our country for very many businesses. The problem that it has for people in our country does not change the fact that it is the best at what it does.

Christophe VANDEWEGHE
Director of Transformation SAP at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Scales well and the claim management feature is useful

• "The most valuable features are the claim management."
  • "There are a lot of manual tasks that are used by a lot of people, so it is a very good candidate for RPA."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and SAP ERP is one of the products that we implement for our customers. Our primary role is to advise them on tools and strategy, including business use cases that they want to transform.

With ERP, we are working with customers who are looking for S/4HANA transformation, mainly from a greenfield approach. For RPA, we want to add some value in the business case because the business case of the S/4HANA transformation is not so easy to find. So we use some techniques like RPA to find more money around this transformation.

Right now we try to automate some functionality, which is not yet really good, within ERP. We really want to connect via API to the RFP tool to S/4HANA in fact.

We do business consulting or IT consulting, and do not provide support. We do advise them on tools and strategy, including business cases that they have to transform. We work with them up to this point and do not do the implementation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the claim management. We also find the automation for the process within the "purchase to pay" can be valuable as well. We know that SAP already has an RPA solution to automate the reconciliation between the invoice and the orders, so we don't think that we can find a lot there. We would like to have some use cases with logistics and so on, but we don't have much right now.

We have a "purchase to pay" process, which is in SAP Ariba but mainly within the ERP. We would like to have more around purchasing because with purchasing we have a lot of money to gain and it could be very good for the business case.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of manual tasks that are used by a lot of people, so it is a very good candidate for RPA. SAP says that if you want to extend the solutions, you need to use some solution outside of SAP for RPA, on a platform as a service or whatever. So, if SAP could have some option, but this not the tool or the best platform that is in the market. So we try to find some solutions to better convince our customers.

I began working with SAP in 1992, about 28 years ago.

We have experienced no problems with stability.

Scalability has not been an issue for our customers. Our smaller clients have between 2,000 and 3,000 users, whereas a large company has between 10,000 and 20,000 users.

Normally our customers are in retail, the chemical industry, and energy companies. The setup is usually quite complex. When we want them to transform to S/4HANA it has been mainly customized. There are a lot of specifics because their processes are generally not straightforward.

The deployment will take perhaps two months, on average.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to financing or accounting, SAP is quite enormous. When a company has to produce on every quarter, the numbers that would be in the SAP report, it is quite good. It has very long, long, long life behind it. Logistics, it's still okay. But for the rest, we just started G-Cloud first with a software as a service application. For HR, you have Workday, for instance.

For key purchasing, maybe go to SAP Ariba. If you are looking for Salesforce automation, for instance CRM, maybe you will go to Salesforce. It really depends on which process you want to clone and you want to target, but for the core finance, S/4HANA is a good solution.

Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shahzad-Islam
SAP Business One / Dynamics365FO / SAP ERP Implementer & Trainer at Freelance
Flexible with lots of great configuration capabilities and easy to scale

• "The stability and performance are good."
  • "The initial setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

The majority of the projects I was involved with were for production companies with huge manufacturing capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The solution is ideal for large enterprises. Normally, the companies begin bigger in size and have many production facilities. In terms of SAP ERP, it's best for very large organizations.

The detail of the configuration test thas appealed to me the most. I can do a lot of things in it. There are many great features on it. If you learn its code, you can do a lot of things. Generally, there's a lot of possibilities as the solution is quite vast and flexible. The possibility to configure it to fit any shape is great.

The solution can scale well.

The stability and performance are good.

What needs improvement?

The product is not a good fit for smaller companies.

It would be better if they completed the Fiori user interface. They really need to improve the interface. It would be great if even the older interface could be updated.

The initial setup is complex.

Technical support needs to be more helpful or responsive.

The training is expensive.

I've been working with the product for three to four years at this point.

The stability is good. The performance is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can. It's ideally for large organizations.

The technical support is not very good. We are not satisfied with the level of service we get. Microsoft, for example, offers better support.

I also use Microsoft.

The one thing different between this solution and Microsoft is, with Microsoft, normally the application training is relatively free or very low cost. The training for us for HANA or SAP ERP is expensive. They should think of reducing the pricing, or even offer free training, as that will help with awareness in the user and the better usage of the application.

It's a complex application to initially set up. It takes time and you have to save a lot of small integrated details. There's so much configuration and features are available which makes the setup relatively hard. That said, it works. If you know it well, you can do it well. If you don't have the background, you will struggle.

The features on offer make it worth the price. It's not expensive in the sense that if the company needs the features, they will be willing to pay for them. They're necessary to the core business.

What other advice do I have?

I am an implementer consultant. I worked with a Microsoft partner and I've worked with an SAP partner, however, my work is as an implementer or implementation consultant.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I find it better than Microsoft as an option.

SAP ERP is kind of a big effort. Therefore, the more learning and time taken for the implementation, the better off you will be. That said, it's an excellent solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
PV
Project and Service delivery Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The biggest ERP system globally that has great features and can do pretty much everything

• "If you are well versed in SAP, the initial setup is pretty simple."
  • "Technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

It's the biggest and the most prominent ERP system in business, globally, and it can be used for almost anything. This is one of the biggest advantages of SAP - having so many modules and supporting so many different industrial sectors. Therefore, it would be hard to find what the SAP can't do.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the biggest ERP system globally and can do pretty much anything.

With all the complexity, there isn't any tool that is so complex and offers so many features as the SAP does those days.

If you are well versed in SAP, the initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

It's pretty pricey for the functionality.

In certain barriers, for example, CRM, Salesforce can do better than the analog tools in SAP. It's not naturally grown from its own development of the SAP and a lot of products or solutions are bought in or purchased by SAP. I'm using different technologies due to this.

A major problem of SAP these days is it's not homogenous. It's a conglomerate of many different solutions and systems, which are not very well integrated.

The initial setup can be difficult if your team is unfamiliar with the product.

Technical support could be better.

I've worked with the solution on and off for 15 years. I didn't spend the last 15 years just implementing SAP ERP. I did all other kinds of projects as well. That said, I've worked with the product for a while.

I was doing working with three different companies for the past 15 years as well as a couple of external clients. I've used it across a few different industries.

Technical support definitely can be faster. We have had a couple of tickets in solution support opened for a long, long time without proper or satisfactory response. We're not 100% happy with the level of support we receive.

The setup complexity depends on how strong of a team you have. If you have enough experience, then no major problem with implementation. For the cloud solutions, now you don't even really install. You just get your own tenant developed or created by the SAP itself.

The size of the technical team you will need depends on your business scale. You can do it with a small team of two or three people if it's a small implementation. You can also deal with the thousands of mandates if it's a complex enterprise implementation. That said, it's the same or very similar with any other tool as the complexity is not driven by the tool itself. Rather, it is the business processes of a customer.

It's definitely not the cheapest system to license and run. It could be cheaper.

Typically, they offer yearly licensing agreements.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not only an end-user. I'm a project manager who has implemented it in the past.

The solution can be deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Usman Saleem
Senior Manager IT Business Systems Architect / SAP Project Manager at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
Very mature with good procurement and payment processing aspects

• "The solution is very mature."
  • "The user interface isn't as nice as SAP HANA's."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solutions from anchoring to sketching all the business processes and documentation. It can be used in everything from manufacturing to finance or even marketing. Every process you can fit inside ERP.

What is most valuable?

The solution has many valuable features.

The procurement and payment processing aspects are very helpful.

The product launch capabilities and plans for builds are very good.

When compared to, for example, Oracle, this solution is much, much bigger.

The solution is very mature.

Technical support has been very helpful.

We've found the solution to be very stable.

The scalability is good.

Users will find the initial setup to be pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the solution isn't lacking any features.

What the company can get out of the solutions very much dependant on the users. They need to be knowledgeable about the product.

The user interface isn't as nice as SAP HANA's. They need to work on improving it in future versions.

We have used the solution for the past four years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability has been very good so far. There are bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

The solution is very easy to scale. IOf a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

It's also very easy to integrate with other solutions and legacy systems.

We have about 500 users on the solution currently. We use it quite regularly.

we don't really deal with technical support very often. They are pretty efficient and they respond on time. So far, we are satisfied with the level of support provided.

We're in the process of moving to SAP S4 HANA. S4 will provide all the business processes required. Whatever you need it has on offer.

The initial setup is simple. It's not complex. You have a range of requirements on the system, therefore, you don't need more complexity configuring the system.

While we used a business partner who assisted us originally, we now have the internal knowledge to handle everything in-house.

Our IT handles any aspect of the maintenance that might be required.

Originally, it was configured by a business partner in Pakistan.

The pricing is modular. You are charged according to the business process you want to take advantage of. However, it's a bit better than Oracle. For example, if I am using Oracle's finance and manufacturing modules, I need two licenses, however, in SAP, we only need one license that captures all processes we're using.

There are no additional costs beyond the central licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with SAP.

We are in the final migrating phase from SAP ERP to SAP S4 HANA. We hope to finalize it within the year.

I'd recommend the solution to other users. I would rate it at a ten out of ten.

JS
Development Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides great features, processes, and functionalities; offers a lot of customization

• "The solution has far more features, processes, and functionalities than we previously had."
  • "Functionality could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I work at a hospital and SAP provides core components. We're in the health industry and we use industry solutions that are designed specifically for health care. We are customers of SAP ERP and I'm a development specialist at a health institution in Colombia.

What is most valuable?

This product has a lot of good features. We previously used several systems that were very difficult to integrate. ERP is great because it's more or less integrated and that makes a big difference in our organization. The modeling of the SAP ERP means it has far more features, processes, and more functionalities than we previously had. In every aspect, SAP is an enterprise solution that has a lot of customization and, as a hospital, it offers us tremendous help that supports our processes.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of functionality that could be improved. We are far better now than we were before, but as a hospital we are very sensitive about security and risk because clinical information is very sensitive so we're using an on-prem solution. We're not ready to go to the cloud and I feel that SAP is trying to force us into the cloud. That is a very different model and would be a huge effort because they are very different licensing models and there are different costs involved. In addition, there are some tools we use that no longer have support for the on-prem versions. The other aspect that's important for us is availability of our systems, and without that we'd be in trouble. If you need security 24/7 and you have a cloud solution there might be a couple of areas where the platform is down and there are disruptions. That's a huge problem for us. I'd like to see some support for the on-premise solution.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This solution is rock solid stable. We had some minor performance issues when we migrated from Oracle to the HANA Database but it's been very stable since then.

The solution is scalable. We also have multiple back up systems so if one goes down there is immediate back up that's transparent for the user, because we're totally dependent on our systems.

We generally receive support from the vendor. If the problem needs more expertise, then we call SAP, but normally we talk to the vendor and they are helpful.

The initial setup is not easy. To deploy SAP ERP you need consultants and you need training. There's a lot to learn before you can properly use the product because it's a huge solution. It took us a year to complete deployment. We deployed the ERP, the central component and the HCF, the human resources module and industry solutions for healthcare that is EHS and EHSM in a year.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very, very good solution, but a very, very expensive one too. You need infrastructure, you need training, you need a lot of components and a large amount of money. SAP has a lot of functionality.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Mauro  Del Quondam
IT Development Director at Lottomatica SpA
Overall good functionality, beneficial financial modules, and highly stable

• "I have found all the modules related to finance valuable, such as account management and HR. The entire suite is very useful."
  • "When evaluating the current version I am using now, the SAP GUI is old-style and needs to be replaced with something more modern and easy to use. However, the SAP GUI is very optimized for connection networks and is extremely good. Many people would like to have a WebGUI or something else to have access in a different way. Additionally, there could be some drag and drop functionality added because these features are normally in any website that this solution does not have."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily to manage financial business processes.

What is most valuable?

I have found all the modules related to finance valuable, such as account management and HR. The entire suite is very useful.

What needs improvement?

When evaluating the current version I am using now, the SAP GUI is old-style and needs to be replaced with something more modern and easy to use. However, the SAP GUI is very optimized for connection networks and is extremely good. Many people would like to have a WebGUI or something else to have access in a different way. Additionally, there could be some drag and drop functionality added because these features are normally in any website that this solution does not have.

We are not using the newest version of the solution, it is difficult to say what needs to improve when the improvements could have already been made in the newer version. I did however see a demo version of the newest version and they have made improvements in the overall ability to manage with the solution.

I have been using this solution for approximately 15 years.

The solution stability and performance are very good we are extremely happy. We have not had any problem and when we moved from the old database to SAP HANA it provided improved performance.

In the company where I worked before, we had a large installation of SAP with approximately 10,000 licensed users. The solution was able to handle it without a problem and we were using the classic version of the Oracle database.

In the company I work for currently, we do smaller installations of approximately 350 users. We have not had any problem or any issue regarding performance, it is highly scalable. However, working with S/4 HANA, where all the database is working in the RAM memory could pose some difficulties if you want to scale because you would have to have a computer system with a large number of gigabytes of RAM.

We have only used support a few times for some minor issues, such as the production system blockage, and our experience was good. The support agent was very helpful and quick to answer our problems. I felt we were receiving the maximum level of support.

I have an internal team working on SAP ERP and we are using a very large system integrator from Italy that is assisting us with the implementation, technical support, and safety. We are working together with this system integrator for any big project that we cannot manage internally. This is not for any competencies issues, we only want to increase the number of people working with us to speed up the process.

When you have a solution that is stable, reliable, and has a high performance as this solution, the price is going to be expensive. However, when you evaluate the service you are paying for the cost is quite reasonable for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP ERP a nine out of ten.

Neeraj Jain
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
A great all-in-one product that can scale and is stable

• "The solution is quite scalable."
  • "It's very difficult to find people who are well versed in it."

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution as you get everything in one software. You get all modules in one software and therefore one doesn't have to look outside for any other software.

The solution is quite scalable.

The stability is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a few problems here and there.

It's slightly complex and can be hard to understand if you are new to the product.

The product is very, very expensive, and therefore not really suitable for smaller organizations.

It's very difficult to find people who are well versed in it.

I've been using the solution for 20 years at this point. It's been somewhere around two decades. I have a lot of experience with it.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it's not a problem. Users should be able to do so.

It is scalable in the sense that tomorrow if you have 10 users, you can scale it to 50 users, 50 to 100. That's not a problem. It's pretty easy to scale. SAP is now pushing cloud. It used to be on-premise. When it was on-premise you would have to change your hardware. Now, that is not necessarily the case.

In terms of maintenance, due to the fact that the solution is complex and nobody can know everything, it's important to have at least two people on staff for maintenance that can handle it and understand how everything - or mostly everything - works. That means either hiring out experts of having in-house personnel.

The pricing is very high. For enterprise-level organizations this may be okay, however, for smaller companies, it's likely not suitable.

What happens is that if small companies implement it, the maintenance cost is very high for this kind of ERP. It's a problem for those companies who want to implement ERP, and they find implementation cost is higher and the license cost is extremely high. The maintenance cost is very high as well.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementor.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

It covers pretty much everything. It's not that something is missing. There are better products than this, however, they are not necessarily as complete. If you're buying those products, you will have to spend money to interface with the backbone of SAP.

They're making it more user-friendly. A user has to work smart and if he's not able to work smart, we spend so much less time training people. Unless you have a photogenic memory, SAP can take a bit of work.

Other software can be learned in 15 days, however, SAP takes a while.