PS
Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Extensive coverage of processes, good integrations, good security, and good stability

• "The best thing that SAP ERP has is the extensive coverage of processes for every field and business unit such as procurement, inventory, financials, asset management, plant maintenance, and production. We can cover up to 99.9% processes of our organization, which is the best thing about this solution. It also has a very good capability to integrate with other applications. The security and authorization level of SAP ERP is very high. No other solution can match this level."
  • "One thing that is lacking in ERP is a good user interface. It is currently very clumsy and complex. Another thing is that reporting capability of SAP ERP is customizable, but it is not very good. Its development time is also very high if you require specialized technical services. If you want to do any changes to the report or develop a new report, you need people with specialized skills. Business processes are very straightforward and standardized as per the industry standards. However, the way it works is a bit complex, and you need to know a lot of things. There are different things that can be complex for a general user. A lot of information is being provided in ERP. A general user doesn't require all this information, and it creates a lot of confusion. Its learning curve is very high."

What is most valuable?

The best thing that SAP ERP has is the extensive coverage of processes for every field and business unit such as procurement, inventory, financials, asset management, plant maintenance, and production. We can cover up to 99.9% processes of our organization, which is the best thing about this solution.

It also has a very good capability to integrate with other applications. The security and authorization level of SAP ERP is very high. No other solution can match this level.

What needs improvement?

Its development time is also very high if you require specialized technical services. If you want to do any changes to the report or develop a new report, you need people with specialized skills. Business processes are very straightforward and standardized as per the industry standards. However, the way it works is a bit complex, and you need to know a lot of things. There are different things that can be complex for a general user. A lot of information is being provided in ERP. A general user doesn't require all this information, and it creates a lot of confusion. Its learning curve is very high.

I have been using SAP ERP for the last 15 years. We are currently using its latest version, but because SAP has discontinued this product and they have launched SAP S/4HANA, my organization is planning to move to S/4HANA.

It is very stable. SAP has been in the ERP domain for 36 years. It has a very dominant place in the market. There are ERP solutions from Oracle and Microsoft, but SAP ERP really stands out in comparison to other solutions.

Technical support comes along with the license when you purchase a license. It is always there, which is good. I have not faced any issue with technical support. Generally, customers take support from technical partners because SAP technical support can be expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We are considering S/4HANA for our organization. We are also looking at SAP Business One. It looks fair, but it seems to have some limitations. It doesn't seem suitable for big organizations.

What other advice do I have?

I can't recommend this solution because SAP has already planned and given the notification for its discontinuation. They have already launched the next ERP version called S/4HANA, which is better than SAP ERP in terms of user-friendliness, training, complexity, and planning cycles. It seems to have all the functionality of SAP ERP, and it also has technological advancements.

I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten. It just needs improvement in terms of user-friendliness or reporting.

ML
CIO at Kolektor Group d.o.o.
Very stable with great integration capabilities and has a reliable architecture

• "The architecture of the solution overall is great. It's great for development, testing, and production. I've worked with solutions where the architecture wasn't as strong and it was a disaster."
  • "The system is very big. It is not exactly user-friendly, due to the fact that it's so massive and complex."

What is most valuable?

I worked with some other ERPs previously and I am a computer engineer. I find it to be very stable in comparison to other systems. There is no downtime. That's important to us due to the fact that we have companies around the world and don't have specific service hours. It needs to constantly be running, and it can do that beautifully.

The integration of the solution is great.

What needs improvement?

You need to put a lot of data into the system in order to get something out of it.

The solution is expensive.

Our company began using SAP during its first installation in Slovenia. We've used it since 1998. It's been more than 20 years at this point, so more than two decades of working with the solution.

The solution is stable. There are no concerns there. We don't have bugs or glitches. It works extremely well and it reliable.

The solution is very scalable. It's quite a sizeable product, to begin with. Users would have no problem expanding it out if they need to.

We have around 1,000 users on the solution currently.

Technical support has largely been very supportive of our company. If we need an SAP developer, we're able to get one. However, the solution has been so stable so far there have been very few problems in general, so we haven't needed much help. Overall, we are satisfied with the level of support we get.

We require 10-12 people to handle the maintenance on the solution.

The pricing of the solution could be a bit lower. It's on the more expensive side, as far as solutions go.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any kind of business relationship with SAP. We aren't consultants or resellers.

We use SAP ERP, and on the other side, on the office side, and the user side, we are straight Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not exactly user-friendly and is quite a sizeable solution. If it weren't for that and the high price tag I might rate it a bit higher.

Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DM
EAM Executive at a educational organization with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to migrate from legacy systems, caters to business processes of different industries, and very stable and scalable

• "It is easier to migrate to SAP ERP from a legacy system. We have different products for data services, and it is easier to migrate to SAP ERP as compared to other solutions. Stability is one of the main features of SAP. What makes SAP ERP better than others is that SAP has taken into consideration the business processes of different industries, such as manufacturing. They have done the research, and they know what are the best practices. They have already implemented these best practices in SAP ERP, which are readily available for a client. Clients can also customize it based on their individual needs."
  • "Their support should be improved. Instead of giving a general solution, their consultants should first try to understand the problem and then resolve the same. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution."

What is our primary use case?

It is a centralized system to manage your business. With the inclusion of BA, you can do analytics as well as predictive analytics, which helps a business to grow because you know where you are lacking and where you are growing more. You can balance and take statistical decisions to optimize business processes and have more benefits.

What is most valuable?

It is easier to migrate to SAP ERP from a legacy system. We have different products for data services, and it is easier to migrate to SAP ERP as compared to other solutions.

Stability is one of the main features of SAP. What makes SAP ERP better than others is that SAP has taken into consideration the business processes of different industries, such as manufacturing. They have done the research, and they know what are the best practices. They have already implemented these best practices in SAP ERP, which are readily available for a client. Clients can also customize it based on their individual needs.

What needs improvement?

Their support should be improved. Instead of giving a general solution, their consultants should first try to understand the problem and then resolve the same. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution.

I have been using this solution for nine years.

Stability is one of the main features of SAP.

It is scalable. It has to be scalable. Otherwise, SAP will not be able to survive.

Currently, we have 5,000 to 6,000 people who are using SAP ERP as end-users. On the development side, we have around 40 to 50 people, and they are technical consultants and functional consultants. For maintenance, we have around 40 people from different function models.

There was one issue for which we were in contact with SAP. It was an isolated incident, and their support was okay. They were not that great. When an organization needs help, a relevant and experienced consultant should be made available for the client. They should properly investigate the issue before providing the solution.

It was easy to install. It took more than a month. It was done around 2012.

I did it myself.

SAP is a bit on the costly side, but they also provide support and other things. We are paying for licenses and the use of the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate SAP ERP a nine out of ten.

OP
Azure Cloud Solution Architect(CSA) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to customize and pretty stable but too expensive

• "The system can be integrated with other SAP functionalities - such as finance, production, sales, marketing, HR, et cetera, and can also be customized to become a model that's specifically designed for my business. That's the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "The solution is quite expensive. They need to work on the pricing to make it more reasonable."

What needs improvement?

There are no extra features needed. It's quite a complete solution.

I've been using the solution for seven years now. It's been a good amount of time.

The solution offers quite good stability. The performance is reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very good.

The solution is a bit smaller than I prefer to use, however, we don't have to take too many liberties with it, so, for us, it's fine.

We have about 20 users on the product currently.

We have reached out to technical support in the past. They've been quite good and I would say that, overall, we've been satisfied with the level of support they've provided.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. I don't believe it was complex.

The vendor handled the entire setup for our organization. We didn't actually have to worry about the implementation process.

The costs are high in terms of licensing. It will be too expensive for many companies if they are considering using this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with SAP.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

Although it is a good product, I'd recommend that other organizations consider an alternate solution. This is due to the fact that it's a very expensive model. For us, for the very initial stage of our business, we've spent quite a lot on it. If a company has a vision for the next five years, it could prove difficult to adhere to the solution should things unexpectedly change.

It might be better to have a basic application available on the market. The licensing costs are far too high on this one.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten, even though the costs are so large. In this time of COVID, people really are more cost-conscious and high licensing costs are untenable for a lot of businesses.

Samuel Hon
IT Manager at Chun Wo Construction
Comprehensive and robust with good scalability

• "It is a comprehensive and robust solution. It can provide lots of functional features."
  • "In general, a user should attend training before they can use this platform. There's definitely a learning curve. As a new user or employee, there may be some difficulty with onboarding."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP ERP and the financial part and procurement part and also HR, as well.

What is most valuable?

It's great for enterprise-level organizations.

What needs improvement?

The user interface isn't that great. This is an area they could really improve on.

In general, a user should attend training before they can use this platform. There's definitely a learning curve. As a new user or employee, there may be some difficulty with onboarding.

The assisting module is good enough for our construction company, however, some specific areas for construction domains are not tailor-made for construction. Ssome construction operations within the solution do not fulfill our requirements. That it is an ERP struggle, and perhaps not specific to this solution. It may not have specific details for our industry. It's fair to say that the existing module, on HR and on procurement, is good enough for us.

In this company, I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

The stability of the solution is quite good actually. It's very stable. Once you have set up and configured it well, the system works very well. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I haven't really dealt too much with scalability. Our company has been pretty steady in terms of usage. We haven't really increased anything. IN our environment, scalability isn't so much of an issue.

That sai, it is my understanding that the solution scales well, and if a company needs to expand it, they can do so with relative ease.

I have dealt with technical support in the past. I consider them to be quite good. They are not too bad, actually. Whenever we raise a support ticket, generally we have got a response within two to three days. They are knowledgable and answer our questions.

The initial setup can be quite complex. You need to have someone who is quite knowledgeable on the solution in order to successfully implement it. SAP is quite difficult.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a relationship with the organization.

If a company is considering using this solution, they need to know that training is a must for new users and employees.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of a score of ten.

MS
Senior Application Delivery Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Fully-integrated, very stable, and works well

• "It is an integrated application, and it has been working really well. Earlier, there were different companies for different applications for manufacturing, finance controlling, logistics, and quality. It probably was the first fully integrated application. Whenever somebody is entering any data, for example, invoice data or ordering data, everyone with a right to see this data can see it in the system."
  • "We will not make any major changes, and we are not expecting any enhancements or new features from SAP because they already have a new solution. No development is happening on SAP ERP because SAP has come up with a new version called SAP S/4HANA, which is memory-based technology. We are planning to upgrade to SAP S/4HANA, but we don't know when it will happen. We are in the preparation phase."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP ERP for business support, business administration, and financial aid. We are also using it for quality manufacturing and logistics.

We have many applications from the SAP side. We are also using SAP BW, SAP SRM, and SAP APO.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it for our daily operations. It is being used for handling different orders for the company. It is also used for logistics, delivery of our products, collecting cash, and controlling the business volume and business activities. It is an integrated application, and we use it quite well.

What is most valuable?

It is an integrated application, and it has been working really well. Earlier, there were different companies for different applications for manufacturing, finance controlling, logistics, and quality. It probably was the first fully integrated application. Whenever somebody is entering any data, for example, invoice data or ordering data, everyone with a right to see this data can see it in the system.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for 24 years.

It is very stable.

We are using it on a daily basis 24/7. Currently, there is no plan to add additional users. However, if we upgrade to S/4HANA, we will get new functionality and features. Most likely, we will also have more users.

Technical support comes partially from SAP. There are also certain partner companies who are providing support, so the support is quite good.

Its initial setup is quite a complex task because many business people are involved from different areas. It is not a simple solution that is being used by five or ten people. In our company, it is being used by thousands of people. Its implementation requires many consultations and discussions with different business communities. It also requires customization, configuration, and testing before you start using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for S/4HANA. I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten.

Murugesh Vellu
Deputy Manager - SAP / ERP at Cooper Corporation Pvt Ltd
Best for transactional integration of operations, but lacks in reporting

• "The transactional integration of operations is the best-recommended feature of this product. It provides integration of all operational modules."
  • "The version that we are using lacks in reporting. The reporting feature needs to be constructed more in this product. There can be better scope for mobility. They could include the technical development of reports instead of depending completely on programming. The programming method needs to be easy."

What is most valuable?

The transactional integration of operations is the best-recommended feature of this product. It provides integration of all operational modules.

What needs improvement?

The version that we are using lacks in reporting. The reporting feature needs to be constructed more in this product.

We have been using SAP ERP for around nine years.

We are using the ECC EHP 8 version, which is not the latest one. SAP HANA is the latest one.

There is not a very simple answer to this. The version that we are using is not too stable. The newer version seems to be good, more scalable, and more stable. We are yet to evaluate the newer version of this.

It is scalable. We have around 180 users. We have licenses for 250 users, but 180 users are actively using the system.

We get technical support from our external consultants. Whenever required, we also directly get technical support from SAP for any information. There is a waiting time for it.

It was complex. As we moved forward, we slowly got used to it. I won't say it is straightforward now. It is still complex, but somehow we got used to it, and we are working with it. The deployment took around eight months.

We used external consultants.

What other advice do I have?

You need to be well prepared to implement this solution. The most important thing is that there should be management involvement. It should not be left alone to the IT team or the applications team. The key to the success of any ERP is the involvement of the management.

I would rate SAP ERP a six out of ten. I won't rate it more than the average scale. This rating is based on the experience with the current version, which has a lot of scope for improvement. If I use the latest version, I might move the ranking up.

I have heard that the newest version has some capabilities to overcome the issues faced by the users in the present version. We are planning to implement the newer version. The industry or the current situation is holding us back. After we are out of this pandemic situation and the industry downturn, we will, of course, implement it.

CJ
Vice President at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Planning that can model well for specific industries but may be overkill for easier processes

• "It meets our requirements for what we need it to do in the manufacturing industry."
  • "It is a little difficult to use."
  • "It was not designed to service all industries."

What is our primary use case?

It meets our requirements for a product to help us integrate and track business requirements and processes. Within the nature of our business, it meets our requirements for what we need it to do.

What is most valuable?

SAP ERP has a solution for all our requirements. That is the only way I can put it because the evaluation was done by somebody else at our company many years back. What the product delivers kind of meets our requirements. That is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The biggest issue with the solution is that it could be a little more user-friendly.

We have been using SAP ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) for at least 10 years, but actually for as many as 15 years.

SAP ERP is a stable solution. We do not have trouble with crashes, bugs, and glitches.

SAP ERP is scalable. Our current user base is maybe around 1,000 people. We should be able to increase that at will if we have the need.

What other advice do I have?

I do not think that SAP ERP fits perfectly to all industries. You have got to be careful in choosing it or other solutions. SAP is mostly good for manufacturing. It is good for certain sectors of the industry and works in our case, but it is not for every type of business.

People do not have to do a lot of preparation before bringing the product onboard such as reading a lot of documentation. Mostly it is better that they see demos and project how it really works in their environment before they go for it because it is not user-friendly. If the business is within the service industry and service provision is the kind of environment they work in, I do not think I would suggest SAP ERP as a solution. If the potential client wants to use it for retail, again I would not suggest it because it is far too complicated for what they need to do and there are better solutions for that use case. It is typically good for manufacturing and those kinds of core product development industries.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate SAP ERP as around an eight-out-of-ten overall. For me the only thing that plays against it is that it could be more user friendly, that is the biggest issue I am looking at.