EM
Senior SAP Solutions Analyst at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Effective business management, beneficial reports, but difficult to scale

• "The most valuable features of SAP ERP are the general operations. It has a good way to manage a business and do financial reporting. Overall we are happy with the robustness of the solution."
  • "Reporting is why most companies need to acquire business intelligence add-on solutions, and when it comes to SAP ERP, they could improve the reporting graphical representation of the data."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP ERP to support and manage our business process in areas, such as sales, manufacturing, distribution, shipping, financials, purchasing, marketing, opportunities, and quotations.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by allowing us to simply take a product from concept to aftermarket by following the process of developing service for the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of SAP ERP are the general operations. It has a good way to manage a business and do financial reporting. Overall we are happy with the robustness of the solution.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is why most companies need to acquire business intelligence add-on solutions, and when it comes to SAP ERP, they could improve the reporting graphical representation of the data.

I have been using SAP ERP for approximately 12 years.

The solution is highly stable.

SAP ERP is very hard to scale, it is very time-consuming, and once fully implemented it is normally fixed.

We have approximately 350 users using the solution. It is extensively used, every single position in the company uses SAP, which includes but is not limited to, customer service, customer service managers, purchasing, purchasing director, finance, and finance controller.

We do not use support from SAP but we have third-party support.

The implementation of the solution took approximately one year. However, this might seem like a long time but it is typical for ERP solutions.

We used consultants to do the implementation of the solution. I have heard from colleagues the experience was not very good.

We have an internal team of seven that does all the maintenance and support of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement the solution to use a good consultant.

The solution has been in the market for a long time. It does what it says that is going to do but it requires a lot of knowledge of the business and stabilization takes time. Once it is stable, it does everything it should be doing. Any additional changes make it a little bit difficult, once you make a decision, that decision has to be carried out for the life cycle of the solution.

I rate SAP ERP a seven out of ten.

Azzedine Allouache
GLOBAL ERP (SHIFT) Logical design and Technical Integration Lead at Sanofi
Feature-rich, quite stable, and excels at finance management

What is our primary use case?

We used SAP ERP for a variety of business processes including finance, sales, credit, distribution, and more.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the finance management. However, there are many good features.

What needs improvement?

Standardization and customization need to be improved. Technical support is an area that is in need of improvement.

This product has been used by the company for about 12 years.

The stability is quite high and we used it on a daily basis.

This product is very scalable and easy to expand. We have approximately 40,000 users.

How are customer

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Standardization and customization need to be improved.

Technical support is an area that is in need of improvement.

This product has been used by the company for about 12 years.

The stability is quite high and we used it on a daily basis.

This product is very scalable and easy to expand.

We have approximately 40,000 users.

I have been in touch with technical support and I think that it can be improved. It's quite inefficient.

We did not use another ERP solution prior to SAP.

The initial setup is complex. One of the main difficulties is that there are a lot of processes and you need to integrate all of your ecosystems. When you have a very complex environment you have to understand the details and complexity.

The deployment can be done either on-premises or in the cloud, depending on the requirements. It can be an ongoing process.

We deployed this solution with assistance from the vendor.

Both our in-house team and the vendor is responsible for maintenance.

I would say that the price is competitive. Some components are available at an additional cost, depending on the type of contract that you have.

What other advice do I have?

Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enterprise Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Is annually updated and enhanced

• "SAP is already working on improvements by doing annual releases with enhancements."
  • "More integrations and built-in integrations with other environments and products are needed."

What is our primary use case?

We implement it for customers, and we use the software internally for process management and inventory management.

What is most valuable?

SAP is already working on improvements by doing annual releases with enhancements.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integrations and built-in integrations with other environments and products. Sometimes, we have a product that needs something, and we would need to replace a feature or model in the system with other models outside.

In this case, we would like the system to be more flexible, more component-based. Then, we would be able to take one component and leave the others. We won't have to buy in bulk to benefit from the product. We can select features and pay for those.

Technical support could be better.

I've been working with this product for almost 7 years.

As for technical support, it depends on how SAP defines the level of the ticket. Sometimes, the ticket is very important to us, while from the perspective of SAP, its of low or medium priority. This makes things difficult for us.

When the ticket is of medium or low priority from the perspective of SAP, it takes more time to solve it.

So, when we have product limitations or something's not working, we would need to help the customers find a solution or workaround.

The initial setup is a little bit complex. In the beginning, it takes some time for the business consultants to prepare the environment and set up everything. Usually, if you give the consultants the appropriate time to do the setup correctly the first time, everything will go smoothly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate SAP ERP at eight.

AM
Head of Product Operations Planning at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A robust and stable enterprise resource planning software, but it could be more flexible

• "I like that SAP ERP is very robust and stable."
  • "It could be more flexible, and the company should be able to adapt the system. Not the other way around. It's very rigid and difficult to change. Reporting could also be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP ERP for finance, manufacturing, and purchasing.

How has it helped my organization?

It integrates most of the areas from a financial point of view and helps the company track operations on a global level.

What is most valuable?

I like that SAP ERP is very robust and stable.

What needs improvement?

It could be more flexible, and the company should be able to adapt the system. Not the other way around. It's very rigid and difficult to change. Reporting could also be better.

We have been using SAP ERP in our company for 15 to 20 years.

SAP ERP is a stable solution.

It's very scalable. It's just a matter of cost. We have 100 to 150 users at the moment.

Technical support is available anywhere, and it's easy to find.

The initial setup is very complex.

SAP ERP is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that the implementation could be very complex. It's key to have clarity about the company processes from the beginning before implementing SAP ERP. If you don't, the company processes will have to be adapted to the SAP standard way of working.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SAP ERP a seven.

Veerender Kumar
Product Owner at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Overall good features, stable, but lacking flexibility

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP ERP in the agricultural industry and we use it mostly for finance control models.

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is very good in the industry.

What needs improvement?

The flexibility in using the software could improve. I am from a product background and I've been testing a lot of applications, for example, Informatics. The UI, features, and cloud version could improve.

I have been using SAP ERP for approximately two years.

SAP ERP is stable.

I have found SAP ERP scalable. We have approximately 100 people using this solution in my organization.

How are

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is very good in the industry.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SAP ERP for approximately two years.

SAP ERP is stable.

I have found SAP ERP scalable.

We have approximately 100 people using this solution in my organization.

My team was involved with the support and they could improve by being faster.

We have used a previous solution and it was a purely homegrown system, which was completely customized and developed in .NET.

The initial setup was complex and took approximately three hours for all the computers.

We used an integrator for the implementation of the solution. Four consultants is a good number for the process.

We pay annually for the use of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate SAP ERP a seven out of ten.

NP
Manager - Business Intelligence, Business Relationship Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Control and governance are great features

• "Control and governance are the best features."
  • "Pricing could be improved for preferred customers."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the company manager and we are customers of SAP.

What is most valuable?

Control and governance are the best features of SAP. We have good support as well and there is a big ecosystem around SAP where we can get technical support.

What needs improvement?

SAP is always costlier than other products so I'd like to see the pricing improved for preferred customers. Integration could also be improved.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. There are four plants in my area and about 100 people using SAP. There are many, many more users worldwide.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

We used JD Edwards before SAP and as a corporate move, all the plants went over to SAP and our department also moved eventually. The company chose a good product.

The initial setup is somewhat difficult but with the kind of support we have it's not a problem. The installation or implementation is a tough thing for SAP, there are multiple factors which have to be taken into consideration.

What other advice do I have?

For larger companies, I think SAP is the best solution we have in ERP.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

OA
SAP MDG Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to install with good Material Management capabilities, but it could be more stable

What is our primary use case?

I am with a consulting company and we assist our clients with different solutions. SAP ERP is one of the products that I have experience with. It is primarily used for Material Management (MM) processes. We use an SAP S/4HANA system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of installation and the MM functionality.

What needs improvement?

I always prefer using an S/4HANA system.

I have been working with SAP ERP for more than one year.

Although I have had problems with stability, so does every product. SAP is the best of all of them in this regard.

I have never been in contact…

What is our primary use case?

We use an SAP S/4HANA system.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I always prefer using an S/4HANA system.

I have been working with SAP ERP for more than one year.

I have never been in contact with technical support.

This is an easy product to install, although the process can be more difficult depends on the customer's requirements and environment. Sometimes, we have to interact with customers a lot before it is complete.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend for others.

In summary, this is a good product but it is made by humans hands. Every product has problems, even in perfect projects. Nonetheless, this one is good enough.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
FH
SAP Basis Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A flexible and customizable solution that is both stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to help us with business processes and to run our business efficiently.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's very customizable and it's flexible.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified. Technical support response time could be better. SAP ERP needs to be more innovative when it comes to areas like mobility and the internet. They have to enable it.

I have been working with SAP ERP for approximately ten years.

It's a stable solution and we have plans to increase our usage.

SAP ERP is very scalable.

How are customer

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's very customizable and it's flexible.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified.

Technical support response time could be better.

I have been working with SAP ERP for approximately ten years.

It's a stable solution and we have plans to increase our usage.

SAP ERP is very scalable.

Technical support is good, but there is always room for improvement. They could be faster.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

It took approximately six months to deploy.

We had a tech agency help with deployment.

There are licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but not on a large scale. They should start on a smaller scale.

I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten.