SAP ERP Overview

SAP ERP is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top ERP tools. It is most often compared to Anaplan: SAP ERP vs Anaplan

What is SAP ERP?
SAP ERP addresses the core business software requirements of midsize and large organizations in all industries and sectors. SAP ERP includes four individual solutions that support key areas of enterprise resource planning: human capital management, financials, operations, corporate services.
SAP ERP Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

SAP ERP Customers
B&G Manufacturing, Unilever, Life is good Inc., Joy Global Inc., City of Cape Town, Bhopal Municipal, Corporation (BMC), adidas Group, Butcher & Packer Supply Company, Franklin Valve L.P., Evoshield, Prime Meats, a Norsan Group company, EMC Corporation, Varian Medical Systems Inc., FC Bayern Mªnchen AG, AkzoNobel Chemicals B.V., T¾V Rheinland, Pacific Drilling S.A., Fire & Rescue New South Wales, University of Amsterdam, Pa_alon S.A.
SAP ERP Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP ERP pricing:
  • "When you have a solution that is stable, reliable, and has a high performance as this solution, the price is going to be expensive. However, when you evaluate the service you are paying for the cost is quite reasonable for this solution."

Najva Mahdzadeh
Senior Business Process Analyst (BPM-BPMS) at Jiring
This is the best solution of this kind but has weakness in budget planning for certain user groups

What is our primary use case?

In this company, we are using only two modules, which are for purchase and sale. There is some part of the financial process involved as well. What our company has is not an enterprise version of SAP. So in my experience with the company, when I am modeling the purchase process, is not the same as using the full SAP ERP process at all. We use a process model in which we are utilizing SAP for some stages and after that, the process goes to another BPMS (Business Process Management Solution). We use Camunda BPM for additional processing. The major problem that we have using SAP ERP in Iran is… more »

• "It is the best solution in the class of ERP products."
  • "It provides great visibility into the details of enterprise resource planning."
  • "The product does not update budgeting based on exchange rates which is important for BPM."
  • "It is very expensive to customize to meet compliance with regulations in some countries."

What other advice do I have?

Because we can not do customizations of SAP easily in our company and because of its cost, I can not recommend SAP ERP to people in a similar situation because I know that it would be a failure for them. But because of the issues with expenditure and because of the dollar exchange rate problems, my advice to these people is to use some opensource solution for BPMS like Bizagi, or Camunda, or Bonita. If the technical people in the company can support the Java behind it, Bonita is the best of these solutions as a choice for their company in my opinion. On the scale from one to ten where one is…
Christophe VANDEWEGHE
Director of Transformation SAP at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Scales well and the claim management feature is useful

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and SAP ERP is one of the products that we implement for our customers. Our primary role is to advise them on tools and strategy, including business use cases that they want to transform. With ERP, we are working with customers who are looking for S/4HANA transformation, mainly from a greenfield approach. For RPA, we want to add some value in the business case because the business case of the S/4HANA transformation is not so easy to find. So we use some techniques like RPA to find more money around this transformation. Right now we try to automate some… more »

• "The most valuable features are the claim management."
  • "There are a lot of manual tasks that are used by a lot of people, so it is a very good candidate for RPA."

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to financing or accounting, SAP is quite enormous. When a company has to produce on every quarter, the numbers that would be in the SAP report, it is quite good. It has very long, long, long life behind it. Logistics, it's still okay. But for the rest, we just started G-Cloud first with a software as a service application. For HR, you have Workday, for instance. For key purchasing, maybe go to SAP Ariba. If you are looking for Salesforce automation, for instance CRM, maybe you will go to Salesforce. It really depends on which process you want to clone and you want to target, but…
Learn what your peers think about SAP ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shahzad-Islam
SAP Business One / Dynamics365FO / SAP ERP Implementer & Trainer at Freelance
Flexible with lots of great configuration capabilities and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

The majority of the projects I was involved with were for production companies with huge manufacturing capabilities.

• "The stability and performance are good."
  • "The initial setup is complex."

What other advice do I have?

I am an implementer consultant. I worked with a Microsoft partner and I've worked with an SAP partner, however, my work is as an implementer or implementation consultant. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I find it better than Microsoft as an option. SAP ERP is kind of a big effort. Therefore, the more learning and time taken for the implementation, the better off you will be. That said, it's an excellent solution.
Usman Saleem
Senior Manager IT Business Systems Architect / SAP Project Manager at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
Very mature with good procurement and payment processing aspects

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solutions from anchoring to sketching all the business processes and documentation. It can be used in everything from manufacturing to finance or even marketing. Every process you can fit inside ERP.

• "The solution is very mature."
  • "The user interface isn't as nice as SAP HANA's."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with SAP. We are in the final migrating phase from SAP ERP to SAP S4 HANA. We hope to finalize it within the year. I'd recommend the solution to other users. I would rate it at a ten out of ten.
JS
Development Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides great features, processes, and functionalities; offers a lot of customization

What is our primary use case?

I work at a hospital and SAP provides core components. We're in the health industry and we use industry solutions that are designed specifically for health care. We are customers of SAP ERP and I'm a development specialist at a health institution in Colombia.

• "The solution has far more features, processes, and functionalities than we previously had."
  • "Functionality could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very, very good solution, but a very, very expensive one too. You need infrastructure, you need training, you need a lot of components and a large amount of money. SAP has a lot of functionality. I rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Mauro  Del Quondam
IT Development Director at Lottomatica SpA
Overall good functionality, beneficial financial modules, and highly stable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily to manage financial business processes.

• "I have found all the modules related to finance valuable, such as account management and HR. The entire suite is very useful."
  • "When evaluating the current version I am using now, the SAP GUI is old-style and needs to be replaced with something more modern and easy to use. However, the SAP GUI is very optimized for connection networks and is extremely good. Many people would like to have a WebGUI or something else to have access in a different way. Additionally, there could be some drag and drop functionality added because these features are normally in any website that this solution does not have."

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP ERP a nine out of ten.
PS
Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Extensive coverage of processes, good integrations, good security, and good stability

• "The best thing that SAP ERP has is the extensive coverage of processes for every field and business unit such as procurement, inventory, financials, asset management, plant maintenance, and production. We can cover up to 99.9% processes of our organization, which is the best thing about this solution. It also has a very good capability to integrate with other applications. The security and authorization level of SAP ERP is very high. No other solution can match this level."
  • "One thing that is lacking in ERP is a good user interface. It is currently very clumsy and complex. Another thing is that reporting capability of SAP ERP is customizable, but it is not very good. Its development time is also very high if you require specialized technical services. If you want to do any changes to the report or develop a new report, you need people with specialized skills. Business processes are very straightforward and standardized as per the industry standards. However, the way it works is a bit complex, and you need to know a lot of things. There are different things that can be complex for a general user. A lot of information is being provided in ERP. A general user doesn't require all this information, and it creates a lot of confusion. Its learning curve is very high."

What other advice do I have?

I can't recommend this solution because SAP has already planned and given the notification for its discontinuation. They have already launched the next ERP version called S/4HANA, which is better than SAP ERP in terms of user-friendliness, training, complexity, and planning cycles. It seems to have all the functionality of SAP ERP, and it also has technological advancements. I would rate SAP ERP an eight out of ten. It just needs improvement in terms of user-friendliness or reporting.
ML
CIO at Kolektor Group d.o.o.
Very stable with great integration capabilities and has a reliable architecture

• "The architecture of the solution overall is great. It's great for development, testing, and production. I've worked with solutions where the architecture wasn't as strong and it was a disaster."
  • "The system is very big. It is not exactly user-friendly, due to the fact that it's so massive and complex."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any kind of business relationship with SAP. We aren't consultants or resellers. We use SAP ERP, and on the other side, on the office side, and the user side, we are straight Microsoft. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not exactly user-friendly and is quite a sizeable solution. If it weren't for that and the high price tag I might rate it a bit higher.
See 20 more SAP ERP Reviews