David Mbugua
Group General Manager-ICT at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
Unmatched performance, good security, and good traceability for audits

• "The performance in terms of processing time is unmatched due to the in-memory processing capability."
  • "The product is very demanding on memory requirements."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP HANA as our primary database for our enterprise business. The product is centrally hosted where all our business departments access the product through its sister product SAP ERP.

The product hosts data for the deployed modules namely, Finance and Control (FICO), Materials Management (MM), Plant Maintenance (PM), Production Planning (PP), Quality Management (QM), Human Capital Management (HCM), and Sales and Distribution (SD).

It also hosts the business warehouse (BW)/BI environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The administration of the many records that were previously distributed in different systems into a central location has been made easier. All that information has been availed central from multi-locations without the requirement for manipulation using worksheets, as was the case before.

The database is also running our business warehouse and business intelligence environment, where insightful reports are generated for business management.

What is most valuable?

Security and performance are the two most valuable features. Our processing time came down to less than two hours from more than ten hours in the legacy system. We use the product to process our small-scale grower payments at the end of the month and whose daily tea deliveries records are in hundreds of thousands.

The audit trails in the HANA product are so robust that one can trace back to the tiny details of what happened at a particular time, who did it, and the time it was done. This makes auditing of both the transactions and performance of the product possible.

What needs improvement?

The product is very demanding on memory requirements. This is a result of it being an in-memory processing product. The choice of the hardware must be done carefully because when subject to other hardware, it gets slow and just crawls. Memory on the other hand is not cheap because you have to buy it from a third-party.

The cost of the database is not cheap either, as you have to pay for the runtime for any licenses that you purchase, and that comes each year. Now that is punitive with increasing license requirement.

We have been using SAP HANA for six years.

This is a very stable product.

SAP HANA is very scalable.

The customer service is excellent, whereas the technical support is not among the best but we managed.

We used another solution before this one and we switched due to data growth and the need for predictive management.

The initial setup is complex.

SAP itself assisted us with deployment.

Setup and licensing require planning and proper budgeting, as it is not cheap.

We evaluated products by Microsoft and Oracle.

Ali Mirnia
Chief Executive Officer at Redment
Excellent performance, scalable, and great for large-scale projects

• "The performance is very, very good. It's one of the best aspects of the solution."
  • "There's an issue in the partition. When you record more than two million records, partitioning does not work well. In Oracle it's easy. SAP must resolve this issue in order to be more competitive with Oracle."

What is most valuable?

The memory capabilities are great.

I've used Oracle for ten years, and yet, I find SAP better than Oracle. Oracle is more cost-based.

What needs improvement?

Oracle tends to have better features than SAP HANA. They should work to add the kinds of features clients expect from Oracle.

With Oracle, you can install their cloud and that enables you to see more of the database and multiple accounts. This is better than what SAP has on offer.

SAP could really work on its monitoring capabilities.

There's data aging that needs to be dealt with on the solution. It's not ideal. You might have a lot of raw data and aging can really affect it.

It would be help if the solution had a graph database. They're lacking that right now.

There's an issue in the partition. When you record more than two million records, partitioning does not work well. In Oracle it's easy. SAP must resolve this issue in order to be more competitive with Oracle.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It's been about half a decade.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. We don't have any problems in that area.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. It wasn't that good. Sometimes the information we received from them wasn't accurate. It's a difficult solution. I would say, to be fair, that their support is better than Oracle's.

In the case of Oracle, I had an issue once with Oracle GoldenGate. It took two weeks to resolve the issue. That's far too long. SAP is much more responsive. It's never taken two weeks to resolve anything.

We also used Oracle. We find SAP to be very fast. It's much faster than Oracle.

The initial setup was five years ago, so it's been a while. However, I do recall it being straightforward. We typically install a version on Linux. While it can be difficult, at the moment, it's pretty good. Things have changed a bit, and they've improved the setup a bit. It's not really that unsimilar to Microsoft's SQL server.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with SAP.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

We use an on-premises version and e have a private cloud in our company.

I'd recommend the solution. If you have, for example, a huge project that's kind of a unique, scalable database I recommend SAP HANA for it. It's easy to use and handles more RAM.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SAP HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GK
Vice President at StarTek
Flexible processing, overall great functionality, and highly scalable

• "The main feature is that the processes are very flexible, they are able to be adapted to the business and their departments."
  • "There could be better management for faster updates, last year there were some changes in India to the e-invoicing feature."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for database virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The main feature is that the processes are very flexible, they are able to be adapted to the business and their departments. The solution is very good and has covered all functional areas needed in this type of solution.

What needs improvement?

There could be better management for faster updates, last year there were some changes in India to the e-invoicing feature. During that time, there was a couple of updates that we had to wait until the release happened before we could do the implementation, this was a time we had to wait. They are pretty good at releasing updates but that time it was not the fastest.

I have been using the solution for a few months.

I have found the solution to be stable, it is very robust.

There is the ability to scale the solution by increasing capacity with no problem, it is very flexible. We have almost 34,000 users using the solution.

We had some issue with support in the past because they did not have enough availability. However, they have improved and now they are okay.

Since we have been using the solution before we did not have any issues with the install. There were not any major complex operations. However, there were some challenges but we had the full documentation with us and it was not a problem.

The price of the solution could be reduced, it is expensive. If they wanted to go into other industries and sectors the cost is on the higher side. They cannot go into each and every sector. If the cost was more reasonable, then it would be easy for them to enter more markets. This would be a disruptor in the industry because it would be used more often than other solutions, which would be good for the company.

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend this solution but at the same time, it is expensive. The cost will not be able to be afforded by everyone such as medium and small scale businesses.

I rate SAP HANA an eight out of ten.

AG
CEO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A feature-rich product that is easy to set up, stable, and scales well

• "This is a feature-rich product and I like all of them."
  • "Technical support should be more customer-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are system implementers and we have many clients who use SAP HANA. Some examples of our customers are factories, hospitals, and other businesses.

What is most valuable?

This is a feature-rich product and I like all of them.

What needs improvement?

The price of this product should be reduced.

Technical support should be more customer-friendly.

We would like to see better CRM functionality in the future because there are other products that are better and more effective.

I have been using SAP HANA since they first launched the HANA database, several years ago.

This is a stable solution.

SAP HANA is scalable and we have a lot of clients who use this product. We have installed it for perhaps 15,000 users, and plan to increase our client base.

The technical support from SAP is medium. I'm not fully satisfied and it could be improved.

It isn't always a matter of them needing to being faster. Sometimes they cannot answer our questions, whereas other times, the answers come so late that we have already solved the problem.

We used to implement our own product that we had developed. However, after engaging with SAP, we substituted our own product for SAP HANA.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have a team of about 200 consultants who implement, deploy, and maintain solutions such as this one.

SAP HANA is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

SAP HANA is a good product and I can recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud
Rmegio Lawag
Technical Department Manager at Direcbusiness Technologies, Inc.
Fast performance with good dashboards and analytics, but the documentation needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We have an ongoing cloud installation but mostly, we implement on-premises. We use this solution for SAP Business One.  It's used mainly for analytic purposes, reporting, and the processing of large data.

What is most valuable?

What I like most are the dashboards and pervasive analytics. Those are the most useful to us.

What needs improvement?

The documentation can be improved in the future. In the next release, I would like to see integration with smart devices.

I have been implementing SAP Hana for six years. We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

SAP HANA is scalable.…

What is our primary use case?

We have an ongoing cloud installation but mostly, we implement on-premises.

We use this solution for SAP Business One.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The documentation can be improved in the future.

In the next release, I would like to see integration with smart devices.

I have been implementing SAP Hana for six years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

SAP HANA is scalable.

We are project-based. In each project, there are anywhere from 30 to 50 users.

We have not really received any technical support from SAP HANA.

I think that's also one thing that maybe SAP would be most helpful, especially if we encounter several errors during installation. We don't get to have many references or we don't get to ask the technical guys of SAP HANA.

Previously we were using MySQL, but due to the fast performance of SAP HANA, we switched approximately three years ago.

In the newer versions, the initial setup is mostly straightforward. However, the older version was more complex. We had several issues with installing.

The installation usually takes approximately four hours.

There are two admins at the most to maintain this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We definitely plan to keep implementing this product in the future and I can recommend it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Vinayak Shenoy Katarsal
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable, scalable, and a good user interface

• "The user interface is very good. You can do any kind of reporting analytics from the platform."
  • "When you do a report on a non-SAP platform, you face some compatibility problems."

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good. You can do any kind of reporting analytics from the platform.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its integration capabilities.

There could be some debugging techniques when the solution goes wrong or if some of the data is wrong.

The solution needs to work a little bit faster.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

HANA is currently a stable solution after many upgrades. It's been seven years in the market, so it's fairly mature. It's been working fine for many clients here.

Scalability is good. That's the reason many customers like it. Initially, it was not so good and there were some problems with the software when it came to the market. Now it's fool proof in terms of running solutions for many clients. We typically handle enterprise-level businesses, so companies that have 500+ employees.

In terms of technical support, it depends on what partnership you have with SAP. If you're a platinum partner or a gold partner, for example, you can expect a certain level of support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not too difficult to install if you are experienced with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a very good product to learn and it's easy to use once you have an understanding of the technology. It's a nice product to work on.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

FH
SAP Basis Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, fast, stable, scalable, and innovative

• "It is very stable and very innovative. You can integrate many applications with it."
  • "The worst thing about SAP HANA is the price; it's very expensive. The licensing cost, implementation cost, hosting cost, and appliance cost are all high."

What is our primary use case?

The internet of things, big data, and utilization of block chain will be possible with HANA.

What is most valuable?

It's a reliable and fast solution.

What needs improvement?

The worst thing about SAP HANA is the price; it's very expensive. The licensing cost, implementation cost, hosting cost, and appliance cost are all high.

We've been using it for three years now.

It's a cloud-based solution.

It is a very stable solution.

It's very scalable.

The technical support has been fine.

We were running SAP on Oracle, and then we switched to HANA.

If it's a new installation, it is straightforward. However, if it's a migration from one system to a new system, it's not as straightforward as you might think it would be.

We utilized around 30 technical and functional staff because we were leaving our legacy system behind and migrating to a new one.

We pay for a maintenance license, and the licensing cost is high. In general, it is a very expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This product covers almost everything, and it's scalable and very innovative. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate SAP HANA at nine.

LA
Process Mining Data Scientist (CELONIS) at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Provides perfect performance, but needs better user experience and stability

• "The feature that I like the most is that we can transport the data to our web data application. SAP HANA's performance is really perfect. We're working on big data, and SAP HANA is really working on high performance. We are happy working with it."
  • "The user experience should be better. Its user interface is not good. I also don't like the transition concept."

What is our primary use case?

We're writing SQL queries for the verification process, and we're using SAP master tables for tables. We write huge queries for processing data.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like the most is that we can transport the data to our web data application.

SAP HANA's performance is really perfect. We're working on big data, and SAP HANA is really working on high performance. We are happy working with it.

What needs improvement?

I have been working in the SAP HANA environment for around two years.

We have experienced some glitches, and we are solving them with the help of our technical team.

It is a bit complex, but if you follow the instructions, it can be installed. The initial setup could be easier.

SAP HANA is expensive, which isn't a problem for us because it is processing the data so fast.

What other advice do I have?

It is an SAP tool. Therefore, replicating the data from SAP to HANA is easy because it provides a high-performance area without overworking the SAP site. Working with big data is really nice in the SAP HANA database.

I would rate SAP HANA a seven out of ten. I took some points because of the pricing, user experience, and stability issues.