SAP Lumira OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is SAP Lumira?

SAP Lumira delivers beautiful visualizations, allowing you to easily articulate and share key data insights.  Discover hidden patterns and transform the way you communicate your data – big and small in the most engaging way. SAP Lumira lets you pull data directly from a variety of sources and bring it all together in a repeatable, self-service way. Point and click data manipulation lets you organize and consolidate data the way you want to: quickly and easily.  Through the intuitive interface and engaging visualizations you can analyze data effortlessly to discover valuable insights that can help keep you organized and agile with your data.

Click here for a free trial.

Features:

·       Quickly extract and analyze data from virtually any source, create compelling visualizations, and share key insights with ease.

·       Expand your business intelligence by cleaning, enriching and merging multiple datasets together.

·       Streamline discovery by exploring any volume or type of data in real time, without sacrificing performance or security

·       Simplify the 360-degree view of your business by bringing together data from enterprise sources across all lines of business straight to your desktop

·       Share data visualizations and collaborate with colleagues or business partners using SAP Lumira, Server for Teams

SAP Lumira was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Lumira.

Download the Data Visualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SAP Lumira Customers

Medtronic, Cirque du Soleil, Antarc, B&G Manufacturing, EarlySense, eBay, Ferrero, James Austin Company, Lenovo, Sagem, RAK Ceramics, Vodafone

SAP Lumira Video

Archived SAP Lumira Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user856440
Team Leader Analytics at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
It needs an easier printing feature. It is fairly easy and fast when it comes to using it.

What is our primary use case?

Data visualization and data preparation are the primary uses.

What is most valuable?

It is fairly easy and fast when it comes to using it.

What needs improvement?

An easier printing feature.

Stability is pretty decent (not bad).

It is highly scalable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is easy to use. It is unbelievable to use for operations and exploration.

What is our primary use case?

Data visualization and data preparation are the primary uses.

What is most valuable?

It is fairly easy and fast when it comes to using it.

What needs improvement?

An easier printing feature.

Stability is pretty decent (not bad).

It is highly scalable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

it_user448320
Development and Alumni Relations Associate at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
The overall user-friendly experience is nice. It needs the ability to drill down more.

• "Geographic hierarchy and the ability to connect with SAP sources, such as CRM, ERP, and BW."
  • "It needs the ability to drill down more. Analyzing data with Lumira at times becomes a bit difficult."

What is most valuable?

Geographic hierarchy and the ability to connect with SAP sources, such as CRM, ERP, and BW. Several data visualization tools do not support this. I am currently a student and what I like about it is the overall user-friendly experience. It is easy to manage and understand.

What needs improvement?

It needs the ability to drill down more. Analyzing data with Lumira at times becomes a bit difficult. Once you know what is where, one can design the visualization. To know what is where using Lumira is difficult.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We have experienced no issues with performance.

It has been able to scale for our needs.

This is my first solution of this type. It was provided by the university for all students to help them with their studies.

What other advice do I have?

It has a good interface. It is not so good for analysis.

Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Tableau, Qlik and others in Data Visualization. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user434982
Global Manager BI Applications at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
There are improvements that need to be made everywhere. Its capabilities feel like that of a store app with the intuitiveness of a desktop app, which is not a good combination.

• "The most value that Lumira provides is in its ability to consume the Business Objects universe."
  • "Lumira's capabilities feel like that of a store app with the intuitiveness of a desktop app, which is not a good combination."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

In our experience, it hasn't improved our organization.

What needs improvement?

There are improvement that need to be made everywhere.

Lumira's capabilities feel like that of a store app with the intuitiveness of a desktop app, which is not a good combination. For SAP, Lumira may seem phenomenal, but when you take your SAP glasses off, it pales in comparison to other products in this space.

I've been using it for one year.

The product crashed on several occasions, particularly when dealing with larger data sets.

I got an error when trying to load more than 10,000 rows, while I was able to load 200 million in PowerBI.

I started with Lumira first, but it’s like Chinese food - it's satisfying at first, but you quickly find yourself wanting more.

As SAP products go, the initial setup was easy, but, again, when compared to PowerBI, Lumira was more cumbersome.

PowerBI is way more capable at a much better price point: $10 per user without all the associated setup costs.

What other advice do I have?

Don't waste your time. Lumira falls short of its competitors in this space both in capabilities and in ease of use. It has somewhat of a updated front end, but it suffers from its cobbling together of older technology components, i.e Webi menu hierarchy and a dialogue-box approach.

As a visualization tool, Xcelsius is superior to Lumira; as a data acquisition tool, Lumira is a vast improvement. In Xcelsius, it's difficult to get a finished product, but the finished product can be stunning. Although not as difficult, Lumira makes getting lack luster results harder than they should be. Lumira leaves you wondering whether the result you get is worth the effort you put in.

If you put your SAP glasses on and make believe the rest of the world does not exist, Lumira can seem like a God-send. Short of that, I cannot in good conscience recommend rolling this out to end users. It feels very much like a concept-in-progress rather than a finished product. Unlike true technology companies (Google, Apple Microsoft) which invest billions a year in research projects -- research projects that may not have payoff in 10 years -- Lumira is the result of a quarter-to-quarter company mentality. What can I rehash to sell you now to meet my numbers? If SAP wants our money, they are going to have to meet us half-way and start investing some of theirs in products that we can use today and which put us in a position to take advantage of tomorrow, i.e. wider data integration with non-SAP data sources (the world doesn’t revolve around HANA), Cortana, conversation OS, SMS instead of screens, and the list goes on.

The challenge should’ve been simple: give me the same capabilities of Xcelsius with some updated features, and deliver it in a package that’s simple, intuitive and easier than before. Although clever, Lumira falls short on all these fronts.

Instead of improving or expanding the capabilities of Webi, SAP decided to create a new product. However, instead of the product being new, it seems to be a new face atop a set of glued components from their older products. From what I have gathered, there is nothing in Lumira that is not already available in an existing SAP product in some form or another. Lumira appears to be a watered-down version of these capabilities found across the SAP product line. I guess all this is to limit cannibalization. What this watering down leads to is an artificially-limited BI tool. This watering down is done while retaining the complexity inherited from the grafted pieces of its older technology.

This is a reflection of how SAP views BI. Instead of BI being ubiquitous, SAP views BI as products they can sell. You have to go to a product to do a certain type of “BI”. Hence, SAP takes BI capabilities and provides them across twelve products (four in the future, which is still too many). Conversely, the Microsoft philosophy is to provide BI capabilities within and across all its tools, with PowerBI being a standalone culmination. Microsoft accomplishes all this elegantly in a well thought out product without adding complexity. Lumira is to PowerBI what Blackberry is to the iPhone.

I get it, SAP must sell "new" products. With the saturation of the traditional ERP market, SAP must introduce new products to grow revenue. They have to do so without cannibalizing the products they have in other markets. This drives how SAP approaches the market. This reality appears to limit Lumira’s capabilities and feature set as it must always be careful not to cross over into capabilities found in sister products BO or Data services, Explorer etc. This is not the case with PowerBI, hence PowerBI has a broader feature set that, ironicall, is easier for SAP to use.  As a result, PowerBI is a superior product which widens the gap with every month’s release.

Making the comparison is almost unfair. Even though they are both cars, it’s like asking to compare an upgraded Yugo to a new Ferrari. And in this case, the Ferrari costs less. So why would anyone in their right mind choose the Yugo? Someone who is used to using horses, of course, and no one is better at selling used cars than SAP.

The good news is that SAP can change this. But it’s going to cost them to convert from a technology company with products from a product company that has acquired some technology. One has immediate payback while the other may take years to see a profit.

it_user435360
SAP HANA Architect Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "Beautiful visualizations."
  • "It would be great to have more ETL capabilities so that the user can do more cleansing/mining on his/her side."

What is most valuable?

• Beautiful visualizations
  • Data cleansing
  • Slice and dice reports

How has it helped my organization?

This is a tool that gives more power to the user. Now we don't have to wait on our IT teams to create or change reports. Once IT gives us a static list of ingredients (fields), we can create our own recipes (charts and tables) without further IT dependence.

What needs improvement?

I've used it for two years.

There was an issue with non-dynamic charts a while ago when we started, but it’s all good now.

There was an issue with non-dynamic charts a while ago when we started, but it’s all good now.

The level of customer service is good, but the speed and quality of their responses vary each time.

The initial setup was straightforward since Lumira provides direct connectors to SAP HANA. It was really easy to connect and consume live data. s

We had an in-house team and we recommend a migration of the database to SAP HANA to maximize the performance.

What other advice do I have?

Lumira is a really good data exploration tool. Download the desktop tool and give it a try.

it_user432627
Planning Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We’ve created several dashboards that display large sets of data in an insightful and easily digestible way. It needs more functionality when creating visualizations.

What is most valuable?

Ability to quickly and easily create visualizations with large datasets.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Each quarterly upgrade has new features, but then existing features tend to break. This is highly frustrating and affects existing Lumira documents.

It also needs more functionality when creating visualizations (basic functionality exists; would like ability to do more complex functions).

It additional could use greater ability to manipulate data in the Prepare tab.

I've used it for one year.

There have been no deployment issues.

At times, Lumira will crash and/or the save function doesn’t work. These seem to happen when the program has been open for a long period of time (several hours).

Lumira doesn’t handle large datasets well. I needed to bring in multiple years’ worth of data recently, but was unable to due to the size of the dataset.

Technical support is good. I contacted SAP about an issue on a Friday afternoon and was able to speak with an SAP rep on Monday morning. The matter was not resolved, but SAP was very responsive over a period of several days.

We had no previous solution was in place.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I wasn’t involved in the decision. A key decision maker in my organization uses Tableau and raves about it. I believe we went with Lumira since it was part of the SAP product stack and thus complemented our existing SAP tools.

What other advice do I have?

Choose a few people to become super users with Lumira (one business user and one technical user), and allow them to champion the product and teach others what they’ve learned. Watch YouTube videos!

it_user488862
Junior SAP Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
I find myself using it for fancier reports. It's not flexible enough for me to use every day.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration, so it's easy to integrate different data sources. Then you can play with the data in the first screen that basically turns it into a table. I like that, that I can integrate multiple sources of data.

How has it helped my organization?

To be honest, the way I function, I'm not sure it has improved the organization. I work for an SAP third-party vendor, so I got my Lumira license through my company. Basically, we use it because it's an SAP product and we have a certain amount of licenses for our company. I use it as a tool to visualize some data about SAP, so actually, I typically only use it for presentations. To some extent, it has improved them.

What needs improvement?

An area of improvement, for sure, is the flexibility of the visualization. Often, my clients want us to see the data in a very specific way, maybe with their color palettes or whatever they want to see. Lumira is not very flexible when it comes to the color palette, or even being able to sort of like change the axes so that I want to see data in a different order. I want to see the bars in a different order, things like that. It's harder to manipulate than if I were to use Excel, where it's very simple to manipulate that kind of thing.

Lumira is a little bit more what-you-see-is-what-you-get, but if you need to change it substantially, I still go back to Excel.

The first time I used it was about a year and a half ago. I use it pretty infrequently. I don't use it every day, but yeah, I've been using it for about a year and a half.

It's a bit slow. It seems to be a bit of a hog on resources, but overall, I've never had it crash. I have heard that it has crashed when you pull in big data sets, but typically, I don't pull in very big data sets. Maybe I only have a thousand records. I've never experimented with a million records or two million records, or other loads that might be a better test of its stability.

I haven't had any scalability issues because I've never really really leveraged the tool for very, very large data. I've only ever used the tool for its visualizations with small data sets, a thousand records or less.

I've never reached out to Lumira customer service. Overall, I'm happy with their releases. Their releases seem to be come out fairly frequently. New releases always seem to improve it, but I've never spoken to the customer service directly.

The setup was very straightforward. I installed it, I registered the license, and then I was up and running within a few minutes. It really wasn't very hard to set up.

I've used Tableau before. I like Tableau. The company I work for now doesn't have a license for Tableau, and they have a license for Lumira. I wanted to leverage Lumira for the same functions as Tableau. I would say that, to be honest, it's not quite the same level.

What other advice do I have?

My rating is because I see the potential that it has for the business user. I don't think it's quite at the point where it's flexible enough to be a stand-alone data visualization tool, the only one you use, because, as I've mentioned, I still use Excel. I use Excel more than I use Lumira for some specific reports and similar tasks, but I often find myself using Lumira for some of the fancier reports. For example, the geographical and other reports that Excel doesn't do quite as well. I see that it has a lot of really great tools, but it's not flexible enough for to use day-to-day.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work for a third-party vendor.
it_user488865
Dashboards and Analytics with 1,001-5,000 employees
It was useful for me. I stopped using it because another solution is more friendly and perfectly meets my current needs.

How has it helped my organization?

It's very easy to import data and also to create formulas and so on. In that sense, it's really easy and friendly. Also, it made creating charts, and especially, for example, the bubble charts, really easy and very powerful.

I've been creating metrics that show variances, for example, in surgery times and supplies used in surgeries, and also in expenses, analyses of expenses. That has helped me a lot. What I presented was really, really impressive for the rest of the team.

What needs improvement?

It would be valuable if I could more easily share what I do. Right now, where I work, we have SAP BusinessObjects, but there's no way to easily store on a server and share. If we could store models I create in a folder that I could share. Sharing is something that I think should be improved.

Also, because Lumira saves directly to your My Documents folder, it stays in your C: drive. That means I cannot simply share it with the team in my department. They have to make it easier for you to store in any folder, not just My Documents, because My Documents is on my C: drive, and that makes no sense. I thought, "Why did they do that?"

Another thing that should be improved is the connection, the ability to use different sources in the same model. I think Lumira can do it, but it's not easy. We don't have HANA, so I cannot easily access any of the queries I have in BusinessObjects. I have to go to BusinessObjects, export to Excel, and then input the Excel file into Lumira.

Not being able to use data that is updated continuously is something that really bothers me, because I have to keep remembering, "I have to update this, I have to update this." I know that the refresh works, it refreshes and it's really really good.

Also, sometimes it doesn't input data, which is really important. For example, if there is an Excel file that is really big, like 1GB, it was just unable to input it. I just couldn't work with it. The file I was using was perfect. The file didn't have any blocks or something like that. I don't know why it didn't input that one.

Also, if you have one visualization, and you want to show several areas or windows that you can resize and so on. With Lumira, it's very difficult to resize it because the areas are square. It's not like what I had before.

I would like to see them improve the format of the text that you use, so you can play more with fonts, and put more information on one screen.

I had been using the solution for maybe a year and a half.

I did not encounter any stability issues. It's a stable product. Once you import the data and you start working with it, it's very stable.

I don't use it for high volumes right now, because when I started to input big files, it was not possible to work with it. It took too long or it didn't input at all. I found that limit. I don't want to have issue because we use very big files. Sometimes we want to analyze three or four years of data, and those are big files. Lumira is not good at that at this moment.

I haven't really had to use support. I didn't ask for support because the tool is easy to use. I don't know if support is good or not, because I haven't used it.

I didn't have to call them, because the training videos that they have are really good. They are very clear and very easy to follow. They cover a lot of areas, so that's maybe why I didn't ask for any support. Every time we needed something, I went to the videos and I learned how to do it.

I used SAP Dashboard Designer, and switched because SAP Dashboard Designer is too much work. Every time, if, for example, you have the data through May, and then the June data arrives, you want to update it. Your source file updates perfectly, but the chart doesn't update. It doesn't create that additional column. You have to go into the setting and change it. It's a lot of work. I was working with that, maybe, for two to three years. I created like 200 visualizations of different areas, but then I said, "No".

With Lumira, if the data updates, it updates my model, but in SAP Dashboard Designer it doesn't do that.

Initial setup was basically straightforward. It was easy, really easy. There was no problem with that. I already had a Lumira personal edition that I bought for me. I have it on my personal computer at home. I started it with no issues. The one we have in the hospital, the guys in IT, they installed it very easy, so that's not an issue.

Lumira was very useful for me, but now I have more needs, and I have to move faster because I am responsible for a lot of data, and a lot of information that I have to provide to the directors and VPs. I need a tool that works really fast and that allows me to build like a master.

Power BI is the tool I was looking for, so I stopped using Lumira completely, because the software from Microsoft is exactly what I wanted. The connections and the way I save and everything is something that I was looking for. With Lumira, it's a lot of work and everything has to be in Excel most of the time anyway. I need to connect directly between my databases. That's my experience. For now, Lumira works fine, but I couldn't do what I do now, combining different files and things like that easily. That's my experience.

When I compare Lumira with the other software that I'm using now, Power BI, I see that Power BI does it in such a friendly way and it covers every need. For someone like me who is in business analysis, Power BI gives me exactly what I need.

What other advice do I have?

It's really user-friendly.

it_user488871
SAP BASIS/Technology Lead at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable features are all of the analytical dashboards, which then pull real-time data. One area where I would like to see improvement is the speed.

What is most valuable?

We can prepare a summary and, with these dashboards, anybody can build it and they are all self-service tools. You don't really need to program and you don't need any high tech people to hand over the dashboards to the business. It's mainly user-friendly and a self-service tool.

How has it helped my organization?

We haven't actually done anything. We are just exploring. We are doing a couple of proof of concepts. We haven't realized anything in production.

We have something planned. I was given a glimpse of what we intend to do. We have a lot of data sitting on our database. We would like to deliver an analytical dashboard which really provides somebody about the performance of our sub-layer. We would like to take a look and see how our sub-layers are performing. What is the quality of the developers? Are they really meeting their deadlines? We have 100,000 sub-layers. If they don't meet their deadline, we don't either, so that's a very critical to our delivery date. These are some of the things we would like to build our dashboards and go from there.

What needs improvement?

One area where I would like to see improvement is the speed. It needs so much resources. I would like to see everything running on the server rather than having it separated between the Lumira server and Lumira desktop, with one flavor here, one flavor there. I would like to have everything in one place, so that you don't really need to worry about having a lot of resources on the PCs, especially if you want to deploy the solution to business users. If it's not a high tech company, we don't give them any PCs with 10 TB of memory.

I'm rating it a five. When they improve its performance, it can go to seven or eight. If they add even more drill-down features and so on, it can be a 10.

We just started using Lumira, only in the last couple of months.

I did encounter issues with stability and performance. It really takes a long, long time, if you want to do analysis on viewed data. There is definitely a lot of opportunity to improve on the performance run.

I don't know because we're not there yet. We are just in the very, very pre-evaluation phase, so I cannot really comment on that.

I haven't used technical support yet. We are a premium customer of SAP. We have a good relationship but Lumira is just one of the tiny products we use. We have quite a few business tools. We do get pretty good support and we follow the same process and methodology. Also, we have very good contact from our technical quality managers if we need to escalate and get good support. I think we are covered on the support front.

In the past, we used some of the other reporting tools, but they all needed a lot of technical expertise. Those are not true self-service tools. You need to have a shadow IT team in the business for some of them. With Lumira, I don’t expect any IT guy to utilize the tools. Once you get all the data into the backend and define all the views and so on, it’s up to the business how they want to consume and how they want to design their dashboard: What kind of filter? What kind of measurements they want to see? It's up to them, but I think that they're covered.

We were all sitting in a conference room, four of us, and we watched a YouTube video, which is eight minutes long. After that, we were able to build a couple of dashboards by ourselves, just from that one watch and learn session. It is so easy to learn.

Setup was not an issue but there was an issue with the license key because we had already bought Lumira. It took some time for them to make the software available and give us the license key. It took a good two weeks to go back and forth between us and SAP. That was not a problem. It's just a simple application flaw.

it_user488877
Manager, Enterprise Reporting Systems, Information Technology with 1,001-5,000 employees
Connecting to an Excel file is easy. For more complex setups, there's a steeper learning curve.

What is most valuable?

I think rapid development, geospatial coding, using it to connect to multiple data sources are all good selling points for it.

That's important to our company because it enables self-service or data as a service for the end-user community.

How has it helped my organization?

We've streamlined our tool selection. A lot of other groups within the company have used other products, Excel, Power BI, Tableau, and then Lumira came into play. Being an SAP company, we're trying to have people gravitate towards one common tool and platform, so I think it increased the efficiency just from the training perspective, the support perspective, and also just aligning with the overall IT strategy.

What needs improvement?

I think there is room for improvement in connectivity, basic connectivity across data sources or datasets. HANA is a new set that we could connect to, but there are limitations for blending data with multiple sources with HANA.

Same thing on the BW side, there could probably be some improvement with the run time or the ease of connecting and bringing bigger datasets back to the tool itself.

Another connectivity option or issue is, if there's 100 HANA views out there, the end users don't know the technical or the common names to go to. I think giving some more intuitive way to select the connections in use would be a better feature.

I'm rating it a seven because of the deficiencies with connectivity across the BW and HANA platforms. There's different version mismatches that bring down the rating.

With the geospatial coding for latitude and longitude, there are deficiencies if you have a column, a specific one for latitude, and one for longitude, you really need to concatenate it together for the UI or the Lumira application to leverage it. When exporting basic models that you're using to a PDF file, it renders blank PDF pages to us, so that capability was useless.

I've been using this solution for about two years.

We definitely encountered issues with stability. We found a lot of bugs throughout the amount of time that we've been using the product. As we find the bug, it's typically service pack related or related to the source system that you're connecting to. I think that it is a big deal for my company.

We don't really have Lumira in production at this point, we've got a lot of POCs and we're building the hype around the training and the use case of it. I think some of these defects actually have prevented us from getting it into production at this point.

Scalability is more on the configuration side. We've installed the vanilla installation on the tool. Yes, scalability is typically when we get some end users kicking the tires and playing with the system, we find some bugs or defects and then we need to modify or potentially enhance some of the custom or vanilla settings used when it was installed. Put it this way: These are typical issues with BusinessObjects.

On a scale of one to five, with five being outstanding and one being horrible, I'd say technical support rates a four.

I didn't previously use a different solution but other people in the functional team did. The switch was a result of a corporate IT initiative to standardize on one set of tools.

For the basics, if you are connecting to an Excel file, most end users could connect easily. When it comes to connecting to BW, HANA, Universe, something more complex, there's a steeper learning curve.

When you connect to HANA, for example, if you don't have your HANA username and password then you need to go work with a separate team potentially to go get that. An end user would typically would know the channels or the resources to work with. However, I can see a scenario where you connect to HANA but also want to blend that with an Excel file. That feature functionality doesn't seem to be incorporated with the current release of Lumira that we have.

Pushing to the BI platform when we did our install in our sandbox dev and quality environment, we ran into multiple issues with the install. I worked SAP on some switches and we still don't have it fully resolved.

It's cool that you can download a 30-day trial. I'd like to see that maybe more of an extended trial.

it_user467373
Enterprise Distribution Analyst at a paper AND forest products with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's more intuitive than a pivot table because you can dump a spreadsheet in it and it sort of figures out what relationships work and what relationships don't.

What is most valuable?

The ability to upload a spreadsheet and immediately start using it. It's more intuitive than a pivot table because you can dump a spreadsheet in it and it sort of figures out what relationships work and what relationships don't. I think it helps for people who aren't necessarily predisposed to inherently grasping data.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave me the ability to see things that I otherwise wouldn't see from a pivot table.

What needs improvement?

I think probably what I was trying to do at the time was create some sort of map if you will. I work a lot with freight data, transportation data and I've been trying to find a solution to show volumes and distances out of a specific point so if we've got a distribution center in Dallas, Texas, something that I can just drop the data in and by zip code it will show you know a heat map of the zip codes that we're shipping to and don't recall the mirror being able to do that.

I went in there for a couple of hours one day and just explored.

I didn't experience any issues with the performance.

I was testing it so I didn't need to scale it.

Most of what I do is in Excel and Access. So Lumira and the other options I looked at were really to supplement that rather than to replace anything else that I was using.

I seem to recall it being pretty simple.

It seemed to be fairly user friendly. I've also done trials on Tableau and Spotfire before and I would say I had limited interactions with both of those as well, it's probably on par with both of those as far as being able to get in there and use it without a whole lot of you know training and tutorials and that sort of thing. It's pretty user friendly from what I recall, but I just didn't really get down into the real details of it.

What other advice do I have?

It was comparable to the other solutions that I looked at as far as being able to just get in there and dump some data in and go.

it_user46953
Business Intelligence Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a little bit less of a dashboard, and more of a discovery tool within the data.

What is most valuable?

The ability to render and visualize data across time or organizational hierarchies. It provides better, more robust ability to visualize data than in Excel or some of the other desktop tools that are out there, providing users the ability to identify actionable trends in their data sets that they normally wouldn't see, like in a spreadsheet or tabular data, a report.

It's a little bit less of a dashboard, and more of a discovery tool within the data, being able to slice and dice your data in various ways and then render that visually, rather than within a strict spreadsheet.

We can visualize the data across different timelines, across different organizations. Whatever way you're trying to look at it, you can see the trends a little bit easier than you can in its specific data points in a spreadsheet.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for things like planning major holidays, looking at resources required by hour based on things like traffic or sales or other important events that we may need to take into consideration. We can also provide some executive guidance on sales trends and forecasted results for the end of the day, the end of the week. We use it for a little bit of short term forecasting from time to time.

What needs improvement?

I would say a better integration with the Business Objects platform. To develop the views, it's not user friendly. It's a great tool for developers to create the information model for Lumira. Once that has been developed then it's easier for the users to then go in and manipulate the data that's within that view, but it's not a great tool for the end user to poll data, to cleanse data, to merge data. All that, it's much better for a developer tool, but for the end users to then dynamically interact with it once the developer had built the framework for it.

I don't see that this would add a lot of value to our buyers. But for store operations, looking at how things have been running in the stores, it could be a good tool. People that are interested and have a passion for analyzing data, this is a great tool for them. Again it's not a tool for everybody, and not a tool for probably most senior executives. It is a pretty analytical tool and it requires that kind of mind set, either on the business side or on the IT side.

I've used it for three years.

The updates are easy, they get pulled down directly from SAP. I haven't personally encountered any bugs or defects within it.

We haven't had any issues.

It's not a tool for the entire enterprise. It's a tool for people that are used to doing data analysis, so financial planners, inventory or merchandise planners.

6/10 - I haven't really had to reach out to SAP much for any support on it.

We use Webi but people wanted to see was really columnar data. I started using Lumira to try and demonstrate different methods to render some of the same data in ways that would expose trends that weren't obvious within a spreadsheet or within Webi. Once I started doing that I got some other departments interested in viewing data the same way.

The installation initially of the client was very straight forward. I did it myself. As far as if you have HANA you can't install it on HANA, but the integration with Business Objects directly is still not great. It's better as a client on people's desktops than on a server based component. For me that's a little bit of a limitation that's been challenging. It does make it a little less appealing to roll out for the entire enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

I would say expect to do a number of proof of concepts for various departments before finding a successful partner to implement with. As a client it's great, as an application, I would expect as an application with Business Objects, that integration is still not great. From an enterprise supported tool, I find that a little wanting. But as a client it's awesome.

it_user469269
Business Analytics Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
The number one feature for us in the geo map feature since we do a lot of work with the healthcare industry.

What is most valuable?

The number one feature would probably be the geo map feature. I like it because my consultant company is starting to get a lot of business in the healthcare industry, and that's something that they like to see. They like to see their data spread out on a map. That's the direction that they're starting to go in, and Lumira offers you the ability to do that.

How has it helped my organization?

We're starting to get a lot more demo requests. We can create a demo for the client really easily in Lumira, because it's quick and easy and it's just drag and drop. Up until Lumira we were using Design Studio which takes a lot more coding and work to actually create something. It's an easier tool to use.

What needs improvement?

The ability to bring in a Lumira application inside of another SAP tool like Design Studio. I don't know if that's offered yet. Whatever you create in Lumira, it would be nice to have the option to import it into Design Studio or Webby, or vice versa.

I know for the geo map you have to have an account with Esri. It would be good if you have the license for the tool, you don't have to have a separate account with Esri for the geo mapping. It should be combined into one license.

I've used it for about a year.

We've had no issues with the performance.

Most of the data I've uploaded has been simple data, simple columns. I haven't had any data with any issues yet.

I haven't had to reach out to anybody for technical support.

It's one of the newer tools that SAP offered. It's more of a user-friendly tool, it's easy. It speeds up the process.

It was pretty simple. You download it, you extract a folder, and you run through the steps.

What other advice do I have?

I feel like something's missing, but I can't put my hand on it what's missing, if that makes sense. It's a great tool though.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
it_user469260
Sr. Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides quick visualizations for reports.

What is most valuable?

The dynamic creation of dashboards and the quick visualization is the key feature. It provides quick visualizations for reports. As it's hard to explain our reports, sometimes management miss the point, so the visualization is a lot better than a table that we typically show. It's the visualization that helps them understand what we report on.

How has it helped my organization?

The program helps us understand quickly the market so we're seeing what is being built and how much data they are using.

What needs improvement?

I am happy with the product, but they could improve in the discovery of the product.

I've been using it for the last three years.

I'm happy and don't have any issues.

The data we had was stored fine. It was nothing bad. It was okay. It was very large. We kind of summarized a lot of data so we are okay with that. We don't contract too many issues because our benefits are smaller.

It was OK. We are not uncomfortable because a lot of the recommendations, and I don't see any problems.

This is more user friendly than what we used previously.

Initially when we got the solution it wasn't straightforward, but slowly it has caught up with the market.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
it_user465852
Business Intelligence Analyst at a recreational facilities/services company with 501-1,000 employees
The simplicity of being able to visualize the data is the best part because it is drag-and-drop.

What is most valuable?

We like the idea of being able to tell a story about our data and do some ad hoc data mining. It was like doing some dashboarding to show the sales across territories and actually see which ones were performing better than other ones and see which ones were outperforming. It was kind of an eye-opener.

How has it helped my organization?

We knew which stores were selling a lot, but we didn't know that they were actually outperforming all the other stores. When we were able to visualize it, it actually drove that home, and we were able to do that on the fly. It took a very short amount of time for us to do that, where someone goes through and spends time doing financial reporting and stuff along those lines, but they're typically usually using old technology (Excel) and it takes them a week to put that together. Within an hour or so, we had actually a better visualization of the data.

What needs improvement?

I would look at the geospatial part of it which doesn't seem work well as when you look at converting that for your maps, it a little cumbersome, and it's not as accurate. It doesn't seem to do it as accurately so it's needs to be done manually. It's more of the data prep part of it.

We've been using it for a couple months.

It seems to be stable. It had some in-crashing and sometimes it locked up on me. It's been a little slow crunching the data, but we're not running it on a HANA database, we're running it on a traditional system, so it's a little slower.

The more workload you throw, it seems to slow down, but that's typical for data mining.

When I was first getting started I was sending emails to tech support and they were quick at getting back, so they were pretty awesome with that. I was trying to connect it and do some of that type of stuff to our BW system, and they were really quick in responding. I would say they were doing a good job. Instead of calling them, I would send them an email, and within five - ten minutes I got a response back.

We also use SAP Business Objects, and we were using some other products like Explorer and we know that Lumira was on the cutting edge, but we've had some other people looking at another product called Tableau. We're a SAP house, so we thought that it would be better to stick with the SAP tools, and that Lumira's a much more robust tool, so we are looking at moving forward with it and rolling it out to our end users.

It was really straightforward. All you have to do is go and say that you want to connect, and you have to download some .DLLs, and once they're in place, you're connected. It's pretty straightforward. That's why we're looking at allowing some people to do their ad hoc reports, or visualization of data without contacting IT services.

What other advice do I have?

I think the simplicity of putting it together or being able to visualize the data is the best thing, because once it's connected, it's drag-and-drop. You can then create your storyboards and it's pretty straightforward. If you're familiar with using any kind of program or tool, it's pretty straightforward to get the results that you need.

The only problem I had was just getting some of the data prepped. I would say they need to focus on getting that type of stuff improved.

You have to prep your data, and sometimes you have to change your field types, especially if you take your zip code and you try to convert that into geospatial so you can do a display of your sales on a map. It's not as straightforward as it could be, and it doesn't quite do a good enough job. You might be in the right state, but you may not be in at quite the right location. It's still better, it's still good, but there could be some more improvement there.

it_user449472
Senior Vice President and Head of Multicultural Insights at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
User friendly and easy to learn. I like the charts and graphs, geo map and the integration with ESRI.

Valuable Features:

The connection almost covers our main RDBMS and SAP products. Users can fix, operate datasets, and build a story on top of it. Especially for HANA live and HANA offline connections, its performance is pretty good and operate data live. What impresses me most are the charts and graphs, geo map, the integration with ESRI, and the third part of designing geo maps. What’s more, you can integrate with other third party APIs and design your own charts. Last but not least, you can publish not only a dataset, but also the whole storyboard to cloud, BIP, and the Lumira server, which makes it easy for your team to share, view and edit.

Improvements to My Organization:

I would say Lumira is very user friendly and easy to learn for a business analyst and their clients. It removes dependency on IT, and a business can sometimes build their own story from a dataset. That’s a huge improvement for our organization.

Room for Improvement:

It has some limitations when operating BW data, and has limited functions when mixing different data sources. Also, the publishing and sharing integration with BIP and other cloud products needs work.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for two years.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Other Advice:

This product is amazing and changes how people think of the relationship between IT and businesses. It makes processes easier and faster and enables businesses to know exactly what they need so that their storyboard becomes more accurate and easy for them to present.

it_user449442
Business Operations Analyst at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Easy reporting tool for business analysts to use.

What is most valuable?

• Data analysis
  • Data visualization
  • Selection of data from various sources
  • Easy reporting tool for business analysts

How has it helped my organization?

• Fast response
  • Easier to use than our previous solution
  • Can do the data manipulation and altering
  • Can be installed on desktops
  • Easy to download and install
  • No technical expertise required for data analysis

What needs improvement?

The Cloud/Edge version of SAP Lumira still needs to be more user friendly. It's still in the initial stages, so we can expect more features in future releases. SAP is coming up with a new improved cloud version.

I've been using it for eight months.

It's good.

We chose it because of it's ability to have a selection of data from various sources, and it's an easy reporting tool for business analysts to use.

We used a vendor team to implement it, and it's going to be supported by an in-house one.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty good solution, but you should wait for SAP’s new improved version of Lumira.

it_user446850
SAP Innovation Analyst at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Integration with SAP HANA gives next-to Real-time Performance as long as the data models are not very complex. Connecting to HANA Online mode uncovered a few bugs which were fairly resolved by SAP.

What is most valuable?

Dynamic real-time visualizations by connection to real-time databases.

How has it helped my organization?

• Better and faster visualizations
  • Integration with HANA gives next-to real time performance
  • Easy to share

What needs improvement?

A lot of bugs keep coming up when we connect to HANA or create our custom color palette. Also, after coding JavaScript, sometimes the elements get hidden behind the graph and then there is no way to know how to make modifications. Another concern is the security regarding which users are allowed which kinds of data sources. This setting is done on the BI platform. Ours is 4.1 but still, there is security for Hadoop as a data source.

I've been using it for around a month.

We have encountered no issues with its stability.

It’s a scalable application.

I would prefer more documentation with examples regarding the security and custom javascripts within Lumira. Other than that, the support is good.

I have never used any other product.

It's complex only when establishing a separate Lumira Server and initial configurations.

We implemented it on our own.

We evaluated Tableau. It requires bit of an expertise in the usage of the product. Lumira is easy to understand and learn. Plus the easy integration with SAP. Also, licensing reasons.

What other advice do I have?

It is a product that's easy to learn and understand, with the ability to create dynamic visualizations and various integration options including next-to real-time.

it_user449415
Principal Consultant - SAP HANA,BW,BusinessObjects BI at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is embedded in SAP HANA live analytics which cuts down time to deliver solutions to users.

Valuable Features

The ability to merge enriched data from different sources and also to connect to SAP HANA live data. It is also embedded in SAP HANA live analytics which cuts down time to deliver a solution to users. It also helps power users to design their own Lumira stories without any need for IT.

Room for Improvement

It needs to have more complex and enriched chart functions.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for three years.

There were some issues but SAP support stayed on to help throughout the deployment.

It's very good.

It was straightforward.

Implementation Team

We used a mixed team of vendor and in-house. We engaged a SAP Lumira product team from the get go.

Other Advice

Engage a SAP Lumira product team, and ask questions to understand how many deployment options there are available with SAP Lumira. Choose the option that fits your strategy and seek advice from the SAP Lumira support team on how best to deploy for maximum ROI.

it_user435042
Senior Consultant at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us is that it allows us to generate complex charts and dashboards on the fly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is that it allows us to generating complex charts and dashboards on the fly.

How has it helped my organization?

It's very easy to use. For example, even for us non-developers who don't know how to code or to handle databases, we're able to use Lumira. All we've needed is knowledge of some of the basic functionalities of it.

What needs improvement?

There are several features that competitors have in the reporting tools market, such as Qlikview, Crystal Reports, and Dashboard Designer. SAP should make Lumira more comparable and competitive to those solutions.

I've been using it for approximately one-and-a-half years.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

There have been some issues. The product itself is going through the improvement stages and the newer versions seem to be more stable.

We have had no issues with scaling it for our needs.

8/10. Customer service is good, but it still can be further improved in terms of response times with issue fixes.

I've been using SAP technologies for the last six years. I have used Dashboard Designer, Crystal Reports and Webi reports to build our dashboards, but as it was something new and easy to use, we tried using Lumira for our POCs. Now, it seems to be one of the best SAP dashboard/chart/data analysis tools available.

The initial setup was not too complex, but no one was aware of it which increased its complexity. Now, it is very easy to deploy and use.

We implemented it on our own. SAP is doing a good job, and I am sure they will work on making implementations better.

SAP Lumira Standard Edition is approximately $185 per user.

What other advice do I have?

It is really easy to use and provides the best results. It can really help any organization/domain to build their own dashboards easily and to analyze complex data.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a SAP partner.
Product Categories
Data Visualization
Download our free Data Visualization Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Tableau, Qlik, and more!