SAP Master Data Governance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Master Data Governance is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Master Data Management (MDM) Software tools. It is most often compared to Informatica MDM: SAP Master Data Governance vs Informatica MDM

What is SAP Master Data Governance?

Your company wants accurate, complete, and trusted supplier data to master your digital business processes and business models. The SAPĀ® Master Data Governance application simplifies the integration of supplier data residing in both SAP and third-party sources. It supports cleansing, standardization, duplicate detection, and best-record calculation. It then lets you synchronize clean and standardized data across cloud and on-premise applications.

SAP Master Data Governance is also known as SAP MDG.

SAP Master Data Governance Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Master Data Governance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

SAP Master Data Governance Customers

Convergent IS, CHIO Aachen, Dell, Hamburg Port Authority (HPA), City of Boston, Mozzart, Mitsui Knowledge Industry (MKI), AOK Bundesverband, eBay

SAP Master Data Governance Video

Archived SAP Master Data Governance Reviews (more than two years old)

SAP EIM Practice Head - MDG, DS, IS, HANA, Cransoft, DSP at a tech services company

What is most valuable?

I found the business workflow engine embedded inside SAP Master Data Governance to be the most useful. It helped orchestrate master data CRUD operations across the enterprise cutting across departments.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP Master Data Governance helped the organisation prevent bad and unauthorised master data from entering the production database. It helped crystallise the data governance processes.

What needs improvement?

A wizard based configuration similar to S/4 HANA Activate would make it easier for business users to contribute.

Consolidation function based on HANA needs improvement

More than five years

There have been no issues with the deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

There have been no scalability issues.

I have found them to be very helpful.

It was very easy to set-up. The out of box configuration can be activated in a few weeks itself.

Informatica MDM

What other advice do I have?

This product is suitable for a predominantly SAP landscape.

Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it for the management of SAP master data with enterprise-wide workflows, but it needs improved mass editing functions.

What is most valuable?

SAP ERP integration - infrastructure, data model, and data distribution.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used this for management of SAP master data with enterprise wide workflows for objects material, such as banks, customers, and vendor.

What needs improvement?

• Improved mass editing functions
  • Complete alignement with SAP ERP data model
  • Improved document
  • Better rich-text handling

I've used it since 2013.

Not as long as you stay inside the set standards.

It is the standard level that we use from SAP. Thorough and slow, but it's very administrative if you follow strictly by the rules. It helps to know a few guys.

We did use and implement different solutions, either a custom made office solution (Notes, Sharepoint, Mail) or a Standalone SAP System. We chose this solution becauseit has -

• Built in SAP Data model
  • Configuration rules
  • Data validation rules
  • Preconfigured workflow
  • Staging possibilities,
  • Built in status tracking and reporting

The setup is straigthforward if you have a clear definition of the target structure and data defintions. If you have various versions of data definitions across the target landscape, the setup and rules defintition (how to transform/interpret data depending on the source-target relationships) becomes very complex. In short, the technology is straightforward, but it does not turn bad data into good data.

Both, implementation success is largely dependant on the maturity of Master Data Management overall. You will need most support on the conceptual definition of the degree and level of harmonization of data across the enterprise. Technical consulting is required depending on you in-house SAP expertise: you need SAP BW Workflow, ABAP coding and Webdynpro skills, plus a solid SAP Basis.

Classical MDM in SAP ERP (Custm Transactions & SAP Business Workflow)

SharePoint based Forms

Lotus notes based Forms

What other advice do I have?

Strong solid base in the SAP ERP, but it needs to improve its maturity in certain elements (data model coverage, performance, usability, and search).

1. SAP MDG is only a valid product if your core ERP is SAP
  2. SAP MDG becomes a must if you have multiple SAP implementations that require harmonized master data
  3. SAP MDG on HANA is a good start for SAP HANA
  4. Try to stick to the standard of Master Data Governance even if you have to cut back in scope
  5. Performance issues and maintenance complexity will eat away your ROI
  6. Start simple and build on the experience
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner of SAP for a number of solutions, but we do not have a relationship with them regarding MDM or MDG.
Learn what your peers think about SAP Master Data Governance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user333753
Managing Solution Architect - Business Information Management at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It helps with enforcing strict workflow and audit control, but it could benefit from integration of its components through a central console.

What is most valuable?

• Integration with ERP

• Standard Content

• Workflow

• UI

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped standardise processes, enforcing strict workflow and audit control, as well as controlling data input, and reducing duplicates.

What needs improvement?

It could benefit from integration of its components through a central console and reduction of ABAP code for custom functions using 4GL.

I've used it for eight years. We use it alongside SAP MDM.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's good.

It's good.

It's primarily used in SAP ERP landscapes where integration with other vendors is a challenge due to the native structures and data model of SAP ECC. Both MDM and MDG have a strong integration layer for SAP ECC instances.

It's complex, as most implementations require ingestion of data from multiple sources, definition of matching and merging rules, creation of workflow for data entry, as well as publishing data to multiple sources.

Implemented through my team for clients. Any implementation should have a robust business case and a supportive executive sponsor. It is imperative to understand the business requirements clearly upfront, and work with an experienced SI in a transformation type programme to get the maximum benefit.

This is very subjective and would depend upon the type of implementation as well as the business case, degree of adoption, etc.

What other advice do I have?

SAP MDG is the only product available from SAP in the MDM space today and should be considered when working with a SAP ECC heavy landscape, or when the target environment is SAP centred.