SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to SAP BW4HANA: SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse vs SAP BW4HANA

What is SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse?
With NetWeaver Business Warehouse, you can quickly Capture, store, and consolidate your vital information with our real-time data warehouse platform. Tightly integrate your warehousing capabilities for a single version of the truth, decision-ready business intelligence, and accelerated operations.

SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse is also known as NetWeaver Business Warehouse, NetWeaver BusinessObjects Warehouse.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse Customers
EMC Corporation, Takisada-Osaka Co. Ltd., Eldorado, Mozzart, The VELUX Group, AOK Bundesverband, Hilti Group, Nissha Printing Company Ltd., Asian Paints, Aareal Bank Group, Magazine zum Globus (Migros Group)
SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse pricing:
  • "Pricing is based on the number of user IDs and tyhe user ID works across a suite of products."

SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse Reviews

Asst. Senior IT Manager at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
A powerful, feature-rich enterprise solution for business warehousing

• "It's an excellent over-all tool for managers to analyze their business."
  • "The program is difficult to learn to use"

What is our primary use case?

We are an automotive dealer for Toyota, Lexus, Kia, Ford and several other reputed brands.. We use this solution for providing MIS reports and information to the Service department .

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our Service nanagement analyse information across various key performance indices quickly.

What is most valuable?

There are several features in the product that we use all the time and find very valuable. Data modelling and ETL (Extract, Transform and Load)  features are quite extensive in SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse. We use SAP Business Explorer (BEx) tools for creating reports.  The BEx Query and Web template are then published on the SAP Enterprise portal.

There are valuable tools in the product. The feature set is pretty robust. BEx Queries published on the SAP Enterprise Portal have excellent features for horizontal drill down, vertical drill down, creating bookmarks and filters.  It works with convenient drag-and-drop functionality. It is easy to add and remove key figures. It's an excellent over-all tool for managers to analyze their business.

What needs improvement?

People using SAP BW have to undergo some training to be able to use the product. Complexity can be reduced and could be made a bit more user-friendly. Wizards could be introduced to assist in data modelling and creating data flows.

SAP are constantly  improving the product and adding new features. In next releases SAP have already made things simpler enabling data flows to be copied.

We have been using the product for around nine years.

The product is very stable. Our Process chains which are scheduled execute as expected. Portal reports too have no stability issues. In case any assistance is required SAP have excellent global support. With BI 7, there's no issue we have with stability.

The product is quite scalable. They have a broad range of products for companies who want to upgrade or start smaller. There are multiple tools and other products. So, depending on the users' requirement, there's no shortage of products available to scale up.

We currently have about 500 users and we have long-term plans to increase users. We get requirements for new employees and people who are transferred from one function or from one branch to another.

We scale up as per requirements.

The technical support from SAP is good. If we have any problems, we can use their ticketing system and they're able to call. They login to the system and they look into it, and they send whatever they determine that we need. We don't have any great problems.

Previously, we were using IBM tools for reporting. But these were not analytical tools. It was a programming language which we used it to develop reports. It did not have these analytical features that BW has like drilling down or across.

The deployment was a big project, so the initial deployment took a long time to roll out as per our first blueprint. It took almost a year and a half. There were several issues we faced in the first year and we continued to have some trouble for the first couple of years mainly due to a skill shortage.  We gradually gained some skills and experience on the product and things became better as time went on.

We had an implementation partner. BW was implemented  after SAP Dealer Business Management. The vendor had necessary level of expertise.

We also require time for maintenance. Currently, we have a monthly and weekly schedule.  Maintenance activities like Change log deletion, deletion of Persistent Staging area tables and compression of requests in cubes are automated. Periodically we get requests for enhancements or new report development . We also periodically do some  fine-tuning of aggregates  to improve report performance.

We already have SAP Dealer  business management and whenever a new user comes on the system, we have to pay an additional licensing cost. But for the same user ID on the Enterprise Portal  there's no additional licensing fee.

We did evaluate other options before the company decided to choose SAP.

They looked at Oracle besides other dealer management  products.

We also considered development of a custom solution in .Net. Finally, we chose SAP Dealer Business Management and SAP BW for reporting.  It was an all-in-one solution and that's why we adopted it.

What other advice do I have?

New users will go on to probably S/4 HANA (SAP high-performance analytic appliance). Because SAP has come out with a variety of products the business choice depends on the size of the company, the number of users, strategy, etcetra.Businesses intending to go to the cloud can now consider  SAP analytics cloud solution also.

But whether it's a small, medium, or large company, SAP has solutions for everyone. It depends then on the business strategy of the company, what the IT strategy is, and then the company's plans for growth. For example, they have to account for how many users they plan to have over the next few years. They have to be clear on how much they are willing to invest in the solution.

It also makes a difference if they want to analyze big data or not and what future plans are.

On a scale from one to 10, I would you rate this product about 8.5 to 9.

SAP has already improved with S/4 HANA, SAP Leonardo, and they've got several features in all those products that are much better.They have got Business Objects suite. They have upgraded visual intelligence, and a lot of other features like the digital storyboard, and the geospatial features. The new versions have already got a lot of things.

SAP keeps innovating. Every few months, they come out with something new. Companies need to assess what they would like to go in for.

JL
Business Intelligence Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Robust, powerful and efficient, providing good data management in our system

• "A robust and efficient product."
  • "Design and modeling could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We have around 30-35 distant BI applications related to value sources in our company, about a third come from SAP; different modules such as HR, accounting, and finance. The remainder are connected to a relational database application specific to airlines, and we lock the information from these external systems, the data stage and also LBW. I'm the business intelligence manager and in my previous company we were partners with SAP, but in this company we're customers.

What is most valuable?

This is a very robust and efficient product. It's very powerful, in particular when it comes to data management in the SAP system. Time changing dimensions is one of the most interesting features that a business would use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by simplifying the modeling and the design. We're faced with too many options and too many object types. It could also be more user friendly as a programming language. The product could include more integration with the work bench and integration with Python would be very useful.

In the next release, I'd like to see more interaction with devices - tablets and mobile phones.  It could be a lot more efficient than it is now. At the same time, there could also be improvement in terms of reporting, particularly in terms of administration and monitoring.

I've been using this solution for 12 years.

The stability is really good and we also maintain the system. I would require probably a team of three as a minimum. Currently, we are a bit under-staffed but I think two or three would be enough to maintain a bare minimum of the business contents.

This is a scalable solution and it can be done quite easily. The product is suitable for medium to large size companies. Currently we have around 200 users connecting daily on this system. It would probably be a large investment for a small company.

Technical support has improved over the years. We get a good flow of regular information although it can be difficult keeping up with it all. Our support people are in India and they are pretty good. Sometimes we do need to make escalations.

The main difference I've seen between products is the robustness and principle validation and the permission to production, which is very much under our control. It can add complexity and make things a little cumbersome like with SAP but it's also a guarantee of readability and strength. You have to weigh up complexity against more user friendly systems which are prone to mistakes.

To have a very rapid proof of concept would take two or three weeks, it's pretty straightforward. For the deployment, I was assisted by a system administrator who was also trained and skillful with administrative set up. It was the two of us with an external consultant.

What other advice do I have?

My advice regarding SAP would be to build on top of the business content first and to push a maximum of availability there before looking to make adjustments for business needs. There is a lot of content and standard queries, many of which are unknown by the business before deployment. People think immediately about what they want instead of looking at what they are. It's worth exploring what's in the box because it covers a lot of business requirements.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Microsoft, Teradata and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: September 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed-Nabih
I.T. Manager at Egypt Foods group
Powerful solution with good security and audit procedure features

• "The security and audit procedures are the most valuable features."
  • "I think more integration with other applications would be perfect."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an IT manager and my use case is implementing MSAP 4800 in my company. It's an FMCG company and we have 2,000 callers and sales representatives and we implement all the models. The product is being used by about 80% of our employees. Our plan is to increase usage and we're about to change the management procedures to convince our employees to use it as a primary tool for all work production.

What is most valuable?

The security and audit procedures are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I think more integration with other applications would be perfect.

I've been using SAP NetWeaver Business for about eight years.

The product is very stable and solid.

The product is scalable and very powerful.

I have my core team in the company and second level support through SAP partners and then the SAP company is our third level of support. We do our own escalation but if we can't do it ourselves, it's done by the partner and if they can't do it, SAP gets involved. We have about six people in the team who deal with deployment and maintenance.

Prior to implementing SAP, I used some local ERPs but finally, I found this to be the most powerful platform. So I switched from local ERPs to the SAP.

I recall that the initial setup had some complexity. We failed in one implementation and we succeeded in another one in 2015. We hired a professional consulting company to implement for us.

I think the product is a little bit expensive and there are additional costs above the standard licensing base which we pay extra for.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to follow the best practices without making amendments or changing more than 20% in the SAP environment. Following procedures and best practices adds value to the company because the ERP comes to the company to change the procedures. The attitude would be anyone choosing the ERP must follow the best practice and stick to the SAP rules.

We had the product deployed on-premises but nowadays I'm doing assisted recovery work, so we have moved to AWS cloud.

I would rate this product a 10 out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Jose A.Santos
Head of SAP Business Intelligence at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Data analysis in a centralized location that can be viewed before sharing

• "It provides us with proof of data, we can centralize all of the information, check it, and then provide the information to our users."
  • "It is difficult when your native language is not English. It is difficult for us to explain our issue and also difficult for the technical team to explain a resolution to us."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for reporting and data analysis for the business areas.

How has it helped my organization?

We're using it to have a consolidated and centralized data access point on which we build the data models and queries that are then distributed and consumed on the SAP BO solution (Webi reports and ad-hoc reports in Analysis for Office).

What is most valuable?

Data cleansed and harmonization. It provides us with proof of data, we can centralize all of the information, check it, and then provide the information to our users.

What needs improvement?

Technical support can improve by providing support in different languages. Sometimes, both customers and support are not English native-speaking people and the issue/resolution can be misunderstood.

We have been using SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse for three years.

This solution is much more stable now that it is powered by HANA and the performance has improved a lot.

Also, the critical issues that they had in the past are all gone.

This solution is scalable.

We have thirty to forty users.

The technical support is helpful, but at times it could be better. It is difficult when your native language is not English. It is difficult for us to explain our issue and also difficult for the technical team to explain a resolution to us.

Previously we did not use another solution, we have always worked with SAP.

It depends on the area we're building the data models. Some are easier than others. For some setups, we can use the straightforward BI content and take advantage of the templates provided.

Normally we do not use a vendor or integrator to implement this solution. We only use a third-party if it is requested.

What other advice do I have?

I was successful in connecting MS-PowerBI to the Business Warehouse.