SAP NetWeaver MDM [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is SAP NetWeaver MDM [EOL]?
The SAP NetWeaver technology platform enables the composition, provisioning, and management of SAP and non-SAP applications across a heterogeneous software environment.

SAP NetWeaver MDM [EOL] is also known as NetWeaver MDM.

Download the Master Data Management (MDM) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

SAP NetWeaver MDM [EOL] Customers
State of Indiana, Automotive Resources International (ARI), Alliander N.V., Chemion Logistik GmbH, Charit_ University Hospital Berlin, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital (SNUBH)
SAP NetWeaver MDM [EOL] Video

Archived SAP NetWeaver MDM [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

RaviVerma
Senior Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
SAP MDM provides flexible data modeling , efficient data deduplication and capable data harmonization capabilities.Together with SAP BPM it provides an efficient solution.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility in data modeling is one of the most valuable feature of this product as it gives numerous options to design customized data models. This helps integrate various SAP and Non-SAP solutions in an efficient way.

Strong content consolidation capability. In our experience we have found that duplicate checks and rules give impressive results.We have language dependent strategies which match data based on language based content.This feature not only helped us de-duplicate efficiently but also has improved data quality,and provides better reports.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP NetWeaver MDM together with SAP BPM provides a complete solution for Master data governance, Master Data Consolidation and Master Data Management.

For example, before MDM implementation the supplier MDM was done in various desperate systems, there was scope of increase in transparency, data governance, duplicate checks, and data standardization.

With implementation of a supplier management solution using SAP NetWeaver MDM we got a central system which became single source of golden record, quality checks, and duplicate checks are imposed. This master data then gets replicated to various desperate systems. The data being created/loaded always follows the standards and has to undergo set of approvals.This enabled us the following -

1. Improved analytics
  2. Improved transparency - who did what
  3. Improved data quality
  4. Brought desperate systems in sync
  5. Adherence to compliance

What needs improvement?

1. Match and merge performance and features - with more data volume the performance level goes severely down. Also the transformations cannot be mass downloaded or mass uploaded, as this leads to painfully pasting them one by one. No de-merge feature is also a point which will help going back to previous state after a wrong merge is done.
  2. Change tracking - This is one tool which lacks and ease of use details which SAP ECC users are really used to.It is not user friendly,performance really goes down sharply as data growth happens.

I would like to see improvement in the match and merge performance and I would also appreciate it if SAP can suggest certain ready to use usage and maintenance guides on change tracking. Currently there's only SAP notes and other documents are available but they are suggestive and leave plenty to be said.

I've used SAP MDM for a total of nine and a half years. Three years of v5.5 and six and half on v7.1 SP04 through SP13.

Stability became an issue after certain point.The system became too busy to respond during periods of peak load and even crashed on some occasions.

6/10.

6/10.

It wasn't complex.

We implemented the solution through a combination of Vendor and in-house team. My advice would be to not go ahead implementing the solution without knowing the restrictions the tool has.This is because most SAP products have different installation and maintenance requirements.

I also evaluated RAMIS MDM product along.

What other advice do I have?

We implemented the solution through a combination of a vendor and in-house team. My advice would be to not go ahead implementing the solution without knowing the restrictions the tool has.This is because it is different that most SAP Products in installation and maintenance.

Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's helped us to create and maintain product catalogs distributed to both SAP and non-SAP systems. Unfortunately, it's in a maintenance phase with no further development.

What is most valuable?

• Mass Editing
  • Duplicate Check configuration

How has it helped my organization?

We have used this for management of SAP master data with enterprise wide workflows for objects material, such as banks, customers, and vendor. Also, we have used it for the creation and maintenance of product catalogs which are distributed to both SAP and non-SAP systems.

What needs improvement?

It's in a maintenance phase with no further development.

You should consider a move away from SAP MDM

I've used it since 2008.

Not as long as you stay inside the set standards.

It is the standard level that we use from SAP. Thorough and slow, but it's very administrative if you follow strictly by the rules. It helps to know a few guys.

We did use and implement different solutions, either a custom made office solution (Notes, Sharepoint, Mail) or a Standalone SAP System.

The setup is straigthforward if you have a clear definition of the target structure and data defintions. If you have various versions of data definitions across the target landscape, the setup and rules defintition (how to transform/interpret data depending on the source-target relationships) becomes very complex. In short, the technology is straightforward, but it does not turn bad data into good data.

Both, implementation success is largely dependant on the maturity of Master Data Management overall. You will need most support on the conceptual definition of the degree and level of harmonization of data across the enterprise. Technical consulting is required depending on you in-house SAP expertise: you need SAP BW Workflow, ABAP coding and Webdynpro skills, plus a solid SAP Basis.

We have implemented other MDM products/solutions for SAP master data, e.g. Talend MDM.

What other advice do I have?

Very good Features but extremely complex system and client architecture with a mix of technology (C++, JAVA, Webynpro, ABAP etc.).

Do not start to implement SAP MDM, only look at SAP MDG.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner of SAP for a number of solutions, but we do not have a relationship with them regarding MDM or MDG.
Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Informatica, TIBCO and others in Master Data Management (MDM) Software. Updated: September 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user347577
Senior Treasury Analyst at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It’s ability to update frequently while not disturbing live information listed on ordering website is good for customer satisfaction. But, I'd like to see enhancements to the presentation layout.

What is most valuable?

The ability to drill-down into specific categories of hierarchy.

How has it helped my organization?

The company that used it was an industrial distributor with over three million parts requiring rich data. The system was the driving force behind online product catalog. It’s ability to update frequently while not disturbing live information listed on ordering website made for seamless customer satisfaction.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see future enhancements to the presentation layout as it looks dull, and should be easier on the eyes.

I've used it for three years.

It's good.

No previous solution was used.

It was complex, and hands-on training with technical attitude helps to comprehend system navigation.

We did it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

It's fairly simple to use, but continue to take a forward-looking/proactive mindset in order to keep the information up-to-date and not obsolete.

it_user347193
Senior Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It's easy to scale and integrate, if you have the right design in place, but it could improve in areas like matching/merging capability, data export operations and data import operations.
I have been working on SAP Netweaver MDM 5.5 and 7.1 for the past nine years. I have done multiple end-to-end implementations with this product across various industries. I found this product to be best suitable for industries with a heterogeneous landscape.  The product is easy to install, configure, and use. A Windows-based user interface gives the user community a feel-good factor as they can relate to the user interface very easily.  It's easy to scale and integrate, if you have the right design in place. I have seen organizations realizing benefits of this product in terms of operational benefit as well as process improvement, data standards, and quality.  Having said this, the product still has some room for improvement in areas like matching/merging capability, data export…

Having said this, the product still has some room for improvement in areas like matching/merging capability, data export operations, data import operations, and more integrated process for import (e.g. there is no concept of landing area, staging area etc). This can be looked at to take dependency from organizations having to install other EIM products.

Needless to say, I am a great fan of SAP Netweaver MDM products. I have seen SAP MDG as well, but I would still prefer Netweaver MDM over MDG.

Unfortunately, SAP is investing more on MDG these days as compared to Netweaver MDM and the roadmap also looks like Netweaver MDM is going to go away sometime in near future.

it_user341034
Developer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can deploy cross-client front ends to allow visibility and data maintenance across multiple offices and clients, but core components requires the removal of limitations that SAP has implemented.

What is most valuable?

• Data Synchronisation
  • Comparison

How has it helped my organization?

With the ability to deploy cross-client front ends to allow visibility and data maintenance across multiple offices and clients, this has allowed the data accuracy to excel and produce much better results instead of bottleneck execution of updates.

What needs improvement?

The core portal components of NetWeaver MDM requires the removal of limitations that SAP have implemented, i.e. only allowing single selection of an export method to closer mimic the Main GUI “Data Manager.”

I've used it for seven years, since v5.5.

The core stability of NetWeaver MDM has been in question over the last 12 to 16 months with releases containing fatal flaws that should not have passed simple quality testing, or the introduction of old errors that had been fixed in prior releases.

It's less than manageable, as since the closure of SAP offices which included the original development team of NetWeaver MDM, the support and stability of the product is no longer on par. With SAP not being able to determine the EOL date, which is either 2020 or 2025, the future of a once excellent product no longer looks promising.

We were the first client in Australia to Implement NetWeaver MDM as SAP ECC. It was decided to introduce NetWeaver MDM over others that where presented to us due to how the product was defined/pitched and the results that could be gained.

Unfortunately as a retail environment, the initial concept of NetWeaver MDM v5.5 was not viable for the retail sector, and took 18 months to release to the business as a concept. This was due to the product being more focused on the manufacturing and publishing sectors.

The implementation was carried out between in-house team and a third party. For implementation, a business needs to use the full features of a product as for the time/money we spent, we cannot provide an expected return. If a system that is being implemented or looked at can replace/enhance a current process, then spend the time to understand this properly before implementation.

Our ROI is the access to data and maintenance that was not possible through standard SAP at the time.

The pricing/licensing model differs between vendorsIf looking to implement NW MDM ensure that the business is ready for change from process to execution. This is a fundamental requirement for implementing a Master Data Management platform. If the business is not you will not be able to see the full realisation of what NW MDM can provide and the enhancement it can bring to multiple sectors of the business.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to implement NetWeaver MDM you shsould ensure that the business is ready for a change from process to execution. This is a fundamental requirement for implementing any Master Data Management platform. If the business is not ready, you will not be able to see the full realisation of what NetWeaver MDM can provide and the enhancement it can bring to multiple sectors of the business.

SAP Application Specialist at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to create a golden record by maintaining the majority of the product master data in one single system.

Valuable Features

• The ability to push the same controlled master data to many different systems without any extra effort.
  • Also, the complete audit trail during the whole product life-cycle.

Improvements to My Organization

• Maintaining the majority of the product master data in one single system, creating the golden record, and reducing the manual work in the receiving systems to a minimum. By interfacing the master data from SAP MDM, the data in the receiving systems are considered reliable.
  • Accessing the complete product portfolio in one single place

Use of Solution

I've used it for eight years with minor upgrades afterwards. The solution is used within a validated environment hence upgrades are a big effort due to all required testing.

During go-live the system crashed several times due to many concurrent end-users. The error had to be solved by SAP Active Global Support. The product was not stable on a Sun server environment due to the fact that SAP MDM was not a mature product eight years ago.

A lot of errors could not be solved by us and our implementation partner which forced us to not be able to go-live. SAP Active Global Support assisted with technical support but some errors had to be corrected by their developers in SAP MDM and we received new notes to be implemented. The level of support was professional but caused a big delay in the project.

SAP MDM was during this implementation a very immature software for product master data and some functions simply did not work. The pre-study and blueprint phase was very smooth but the realization phase was very challenging due to this. Most problems did not have any workaround and the only solution was to contact SAP. However, creating the database model and building workflows was very straightforward and easy.

Implementation Team

The implementation was done together with a vendor team who assisted with the technical competence. Do not underestimate the time necessary for pre-study and creating a detailed user requirement specification, this to avoid any confusion and misunderstanding during the realization phase.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Eight years ago the license model was partly based on how many interfaces to other external systems was to be activated. This is unfortunate since the main reason for using such a system is to push the data to as many systems as possible.

Other Solutions Considered

Before deciding upon a standard solution we used several own-developed solutions which all had short lifecycles. The strategy for our system landscape is SAP and therefore this was the first choice.

Other Advice

Selecting a standard product has advantages and disadvantages. The flexibility is less then with an own-developed solution but also an advantage in the perspective that not all changes can be implemented quickly with low effort.

it_user333753
Managing Solution Architect - Business Information Management at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It has helped standardise processes, enforcing strict workflow and audit control, as well as controlling data input, and reducing duplicates. However, it's now obsolete.

What is most valuable?

Ease of modelling Flexibility of design

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It's obsolete, and not generally available.

I've used it for eight years. We use it alongside SAP Master Data Governance (MDG).

Yes, unscalable for large volumes and hence obsoleted by the vendor.

Customer Service: It's good. Technical Support: It's good.

It's primarily used in SAP ERP landscapes where…

What is most valuable?

• Ease of modelling
  • Flexibility of design

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It's obsolete, and not generally available.

Yes, unscalable for large volumes and hence obsoleted by the vendor.

It's good.

It's primarily used in SAP ERP landscapes where integration with other vendors is a challenge due to the native structures and data model of SAP ECC. Both MDM and MDG have a strong integration layer for SAP ECC instances

It's complex, as most implementations require ingestion of data from multiple sources, definition of matching and merging rules, creation of workflow for data entry, as well as publishing data to multiple sources.

Implemented through my team for clients. Any implementation should have a robust business case and a supportive executive sponsor. It is imperative to understand the business requirements clearly upfront, and work with an experienced SI in a transformation type programme to get the maximum benefit.

This is very subjective, and would depend upon the type of implementation as well as the business case, degree of adoption, etc.

Download our free Master Data Management (MDM) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Informatica, TIBCO, and more!