SAP PowerDesigner OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP PowerDesigner is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Metadata Management tools. It is most often compared to erwin Data Modeler (DM): SAP PowerDesigner vs erwin Data Modeler (DM)

What is SAP PowerDesigner?

Plan and manage complex business transformation initiatives with SAP PowerDesigner. The software’s data modeling tools let you build a blueprint of your current enterprise architecture and visualize the impact of change before it happens. Automatically capture architecture layers and requirements, tap into a powerful metadata repository, and share discoveries with your team.

SAP PowerDesigner is also known as Sybase PowerDesigner.

SAP PowerDesigner Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP PowerDesigner Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

SAP PowerDesigner Customers

Medtronic, Cirque du Soleil, Antarc, B&G Manufacturing, EarlySense, eBay, Ferrero, James Austin Company, Lenovo, Sagem, RAK Ceramics, Vodafone

Archived SAP PowerDesigner Reviews (more than two years old)

OD
Senior Consultant at Mibcon DIMA
A User-friendly and extensible solution that facilitates automation of routine tasks

• "It can automate many routine tasks and save human resources to focus on real problems."
  • "There should be a better usage of current hardware including multicore CPUs, higher resolutions, and multiple displays."

What is our primary use case?

I am working for the partner of the vendor of PD. My jobs include implementing, training, customizing, and extending PowerDesigner.

One of my tasks is to develop automation that makes end users more efficient in their work.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its user-friendly extensibility, impact & lineage analysis, and source/target mappings. It can be configured to display only relevant objects across all models, of any type. It has a public meta-model and the ability to automate many features so that the users can focus on what really matters, as opposed to the formal requirements of the modeling work.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better team collaboration in PD. Passing models (or objects in it) from one role to another. Today, we have to solve it by custom extensions and modelling rules just written on paper (and not enforced automatically).

Support for ArchiMate would be an improvement.

There should be a better usage of current hardware including multicore CPUs, higher resolutions (UHD, 4K), and multiple displays.

I would also like to see better troubleshooting options for repository issues. In case of problems during check-in of the model to the repository, the error message just says "checkin was cancelled", but id doesn`t give you any details or hints where to look, what to repair.

Eleven years.

I started with IBM Rational Rose and then switched to PowerDesigner. I have some experience with Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect, too.

PowerDesigner is not the cheapest solution on the market, so make sure that you are using it up to its full potential.

Our customers often choose PowerDesigner because of its wide possibilities for data modeling, together with the huge potential to automate frequent and routine tasks. This enables them to implement their own modeling methods within the tool.

Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect is an option in terms of price, but not in terms of the number supported DBs, source-target mappings, possibilities of impact & lineage analysis, and the ease of customizability of the tool.

What other advice do I have?

Before deploying PowerDesigner, do not underestimate the initial analysis of WHAT will be modeled, as well as HOW and BY WHOM. Are your users prepared well enough for the transition to PD (training, potential changes in the modeling process, ...)?

My advice for anybody implementing this solution is not to deploy PowerDesigner fully by yourself. Allow an experienced vendor consultant to explain all of the features and possibilities of the tool to you, and then just decide what and how you want or need to use.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partner of SAP in Europe and we are implementing and customizing PowerDesigner into the customers` environments.
MahdiJalali
Founder at Rozhmaan
A Good tool for Handling Big Data in Large and Complex Datasets

• "This solution has good tools for big data, where you can manage large and complex databases."
  • "This product does not have a good BPMN Modeler."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is to design databases, but I have also used it to design processes.

I also know how to add new features and program using the API. We added some new features to PowerDesigner about five years ago.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we can convert CDM (Conceptual Data Model) to PDM (Physical Data Model), and then prepare an SQL statement to be executed.

It has a powerful engineering feature where if you change the data on a secure server then it will change it in PowerDesigner, too.

This solution has good tools for big data, where you can manage large and complex databases. By comparison, tools such as Enterprise Architect and Visio have problems with big databases.

What needs improvement?

This product does not have a good BPMN Modeler. Also, the simulations for BPMN modelers are not integrated well enough. If we want this functionality then we have to use another program. Compare this to Visual Paradigm, where we do have a good simulation for the BPMN modeler.

Ten years.

It is a very stable solution, which is one of the advantages of using PowerDesigner, especially in big databases.

I have not had to speak with technical support for this solution.

The setup of this solution is easy, but using it is rather complex.

Everywhere that I have used this solution, it was installed by somebody else such as a consultant. However, the installation was easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SAP PowerDesigner. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user931305
Enterprise Architect at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
User
The wizard report links directly to MS Word and is very useful

• "It has helped me to develop the as-is state, design its to-be state, and track the capital investment according to gap analysis."
  • "The data governance should be improved, like ER/Studio."

What is our primary use case?

• Improving retail company operations on ERP migration
  • The report wizard is extensive and useful.
  • You can import BPMN from Bizagi.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• The wizard report links directly to MS Word and is very useful.
  • The matrix processes and capabilities are good tools.
  • It is easy and fast to use.

What needs improvement?

• The UML simulation should be improved to avoid designing other tools out of the application.
  • The data governance should be improved, like ER/Studio.

More than five years.

Switched because SAP PowerDesigner is easy to use.

The ROI has been 43%.

• ERwin
  • Sparx System Enterprise Architect
it_user636216
Data Architect/Data Scientist with 1,001-5,000 employees
The publicly accessible meta-model is the foundation for utility scripts, report and general model-to-model or model-to-text generation

What is most valuable?

• Meta-model
  • Template generation
  • Library Models

The publicly accessible meta-model is the foundation for utility scripts, report, and general model-to-model or model-to-text generation.

Library models are referenced across projects.

How has it helped my organization?

• Impact Analysis
  • Traceability

Set of models with a rich set of intramodal and intermodal dependencies, which caters for modelling of upstream and downstream dependencies, allowing for Impact Analysis and Traceability.

What needs improvement?

Reverse-engineering of late JDK and .NET.

Use third party parsers and enhance Object-Oriented metamodel to cater for newer language features.

I did not use the paid support.

Straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Use source reference models for your industry and implement as library models.

Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with self employed
The data modelling features are valuable. The meta-model seems to be proprietary.

What is most valuable?

Data modelling

How has it helped my organization?

Collaborative modelling

What needs improvement?

The meta-model (a.k.a. how objects are supposed to be connected to each other) seems to be proprietary.

I have used it for six months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service is good... for a price. Technical Support: Technical support is good... for a price.

Which solution did I use previously and

What is most valuable?

• Data modelling

How has it helped my organization?

• Collaborative modelling

What needs improvement?

I have used it for six months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer service is good... for a price.

Technical support is good... for a price.

I have used Sparx Enterprise Architect that provides more functions for a fraction of the costs.

It was easy to install.

Setup is simple and does not require external help.

If you have a full SAP stack, maybe you can get it for a fraction of the cost....

it_user276171
Senior Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
We can reverse engineer databases and create data models and documentation for clients

Valuable Features:

Reverse engineering a database in order to produce documentation for client to understand their database in order to support their application, perform data migration, perform system analysis, perform impact analysis, and write interfaces.

Improvements to My Organization:

This product is very useful when starting a new project. It helped the consultant to understand the database.

Room for Improvement:

No issues encountered.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for about 15 years, starting with v5.0

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

The product is very stable, even with no maintenance updates to purchase. There were a few bugs I have found, which I just learned to work around.

It's very good.

Implementation Team:

It was implemented in-house.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at what is now CA ERwin Data Modeler.

Other Advice:

It is a great product to use, but the client does not really need to purchase the software, as the consultant can reverse engineer the database, and then create the data model and documentation in order to deliver to client. The client can use the read-only version of PowerDesigner.

it_user187392
BI Analyst at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
PowerDesigner is more powerful than Erwin, including data modeling which is non-existent with Erwin.

What is most valuable?

The customized Data Model validation because, in short, PowerDesigner offers the capability to check if the the model was done following the best practices of data modeling . This capability can be customized to review other internal validation processes.

How has it helped my organization?

Less time spent with Data Administrators and therefore more agile approvals Data Model. This is because the Data Administrator spend less time in Logical Model validation, as PowerDesigner does the majority of the checks.

Approximately one year.

I have not used them.

I have not used them.

I previously used Erwin and I switched because PowerDesigner is a more powerful tool. PowerDesigner is more powerful than Erwin in many ways, but to highlight one, the capability mentioned about the Data Modeling is non-existent on Erwin and in my opinion, it is very important.

No other options were evaluated.