SAP Process Orchestration Overview

SAP Process Orchestration is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Business-to-Business Middleware tools. It is most often compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: SAP Process Orchestration vs Mule Anypoint Platform

What is SAP Process Orchestration?
SAP NetWeaver Process Integration facilitates the integration of business processes that span different departments, organizations, or companies. SAP PI is based on general standards so as to enable 3rd-party systems to be integrated. At the center of SAP PI is an XML-based communication that uses HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol). Irrespective of the scenario used, the application-specific contents are transferred in messages in user-defined XML eXtensible Markup Language) from the sender to the receiver either via the Integration Server, or directly between the systems involved. SAP PI can be installed in different ways: Dual usage type installation: Based on both AS ABAP and AS Java. and Advanced Adapter Engine Extended (AEX): Based on AS Java only.

SAP Process Orchestration is also known as SAP NetWeaver Process Integration, NetWeaver Process Integration.

SAP Process Orchestration Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Process Orchestration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SAP Process Orchestration Customers
Lenovo, Dansk Supermarked A/S, Ego Pharmaceuticals Pty. Ltd, Kaeser Kompressoren
SAP Process Orchestration Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Process Orchestration pricing:
  • "There are fees in addition to the licensing."
  • "The pricing for this solution is fine."

Bhargava Krishna T
Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Gateway for all integrations that is stable and quick to install

What is our primary use case?

We have several SAP systems in our landscape that have different modules incorporated in it, and we are using this solution as a gateway for the integration within our landscape of both SAP and non SAP applications that are within the firewall and outside of the firewall. The primary use case of this solution is as a gateway for all of the integrations.

• "With the latest version what I find to be the most valuable are the REST, SuccessFactors, and Ariba Network adapters."
  • "I feel that support is an area that needs improvement. They need to improve the response time and address the customer's issues as soon as possible."

What other advice do I have?

We are still in the evaluating phase and we are still evaluating other tools that are available. Based on that, we will be having a round table discussion in a meeting to discuss the outcome and finalize whether we will migrate the interfaces or go with Process Orchestration. They want to evaluate and list the pros and cons of all of the tools. As per the automation roadmap, we are planning to move everything into the cloud. We are just evaluating the cloud, particularly tools that are available. Even though we are hosting on Azure Cloud services, it is still on-premises. They have introduced…
RM
Partner & SAP Netweaver Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Offers good integration, data maps, and routing functions

What is our primary use case?

I have been a solution architect since 2005. I have a lot of experience with SAP Process Orchestration. I have a lot of experience with many kinds of integration between all kinds of processes. SAP Process Orchestration is the tool we chose to use to help us effectively design and improve workflows.

• "The product has good technical support but you usually will not need it because it is quite stable."
  • "The initial setup is easy."
  • "The monitoring governance offered by SAP is too technical and needs to be geared more toward business users."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten. Additional features that I would like to see in the next release to improve the rating would be to improve the governance of the monitor component and adopt SAP PI/PO with the new connectors that have the capabilities to work better with applications. All they are offering with the solution currently is the ability to integrate application to application or business to business.
Learn what your peers think about SAP Process Orchestration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Robert Solomons
SAP Process Orchestration Team Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Enterprise Service Bus for application integration and data transformation

What is our primary use case?

We have 2 stances of the SAP PO 7.5 SP14 Java only and it is installed on-premise using IBM Hardware to support our on-premise SAP Applications and an instance installed on AWS to integrate our cloud application with other cloud application. We use the solution for application integration and transforming of data. Decoupling of systems is a feature of SAP PO that allows us to integrate systems without having to care about the data formats , communication protocols or security features of other systems on the bus. As a retailer, all our transnational data need to feed into our SAP system and… more »

• "Great monitoring tools and has its own alert framework."
  • "The older version of the solution will no longer be supported."

What other advice do I have?

For any enterprise services, if you want to centralize your integration and have one central place that you move data through, instead of having all these various different connections, running all over the show, then this would be the system to use. You can easily set governance policies, see rules, and manage all connections in and out of your environment, especially from a security point of view. It's a great integration tool and a wonderful idea. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
MD
Infrastructure Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Secure with good documentation and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

It's a technical product. We primarily use the solution for our infrastructure. It's a mid ware. We use it due to the fact that we need to deal with messages between our system and external systems. We need to construct communication channels, interface with them to define how much time or how many times we need to complete each interaction between the system. We also need it for monitoring issues, and we use Solution Manager to monitoring interfaces.

• "The solution offers very good documentation and manuals to assist with understanding the solution."
  • "It's very difficult to find errors in a simple way."

What other advice do I have?

We are just an end-user and customer. We don't have a business relationship with SAP. We had two PI or PO installations in my company. Both installations need to be updated or upgraded. We have several SAP installations in our environment, and I can say that all of them need to be updated. My company takes a long time to make decisions in terms of investing in updating systems. The next investment will need, dozens of millions of dollars in updates. That's not in the local currency, however. We've been postponing updating since I've worked here. Over the next two years, we will need to start a…
Atakan Köycü
Founder at Negzel.net
Stable with good logging functionality and very scalable

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, my customers are using the solution for integration, however, there are so many possible scenarios. Some of them are using RFC, IDOC, Database, SOAP, File or REST API integrations, for example. I've had lots of use cases over the past eight or nine years.

• "The solution provides very good and central logging systems. It offers high flexibility with vertical and horizontal extend capacity."
  • "In terms of technical support, it would be helpful if they handled the tickets a bit faster when queries are sent to them."

What other advice do I have?

I have my own SAP installation on my local server but I'm not using it on production items. I'm just consulting with my customers on their production environment. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the solution was more flexible and offered external monitoring features I would rate it higher. The PI portion of the system is quite flexible, but I've had very complex integrations and had to develop an adaptive modem. It needs some more time to really come into its own. I'd recommend the product to others. It's very stable and you can use it for SAP and non-SAP integrations.
RR
Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good process integration and standard adapter with EBA abilities

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the business work clause. Even though there could be multiple cloud-based applications in real-time, doing on-premise work, people need some kind of security within their internet server and to do transactions. SAP Process Orchestration would encourage you to translate and do many activities. It has few disabilities. We can use standard EBA technology to transfer the invoices and make purchases.

• "The standard adapter with EBA abilities is the most valuable feature. It has good process integration."
  • "The cloud capability features need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

SAP is the best solution for them to integrate with many other third-party systems or other VRP systems. The messaging isn't good at being in real-time. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
Ayemi Musa
Sr. ABAP Developer at Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
Great integrations with a unique setup that is easy to use

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "The usability is an area where it can be improved upon."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a custumer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. The last I checked, we were using the 7.5 version. It may have since switched to 7.6, however, I'm not 100% sure. We typically use the latest version of the solution. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at a nine. We've been pretty happy with it overall.
SK
Solution Architect - SAP Banking at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Seamless integration with backend systems, but it needs to be more flexible

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP Process Orchestration to connect our on-premises safety banking systems. In the middle, we have another layer called SAP POL, which is the Process Object layer. That builds the actual orchestration and persistence of data with respect to the business objects. This is in case anything fails across multiple steps. For example, if we have seven steps and the process fails in the third step, we need to start processing from the point of failure, rather than from step one. So, there is a primary user for the process orchestration, which is the SAP POL.

• "The most valuable feature is the seamless integration with backend systems."
  • "It does not have all of the industry-standard solutions available in PO and it is not plug and play, so we have to do a lot of development."

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I'm not sure what advice I would give to those people who are researching this type of solution. I am looking at other products because I want to see how good they are. It may turn out that SAP Process Orchestration is still much better, which means that I would continue with it. There are pros and cons with all vendors, so it may not be worth switching if you are already using this. At this point, I am generally satisfied with SAP, but the roadmap is something that is bothering us. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
See 2 more SAP Process Orchestration Reviews
Download our free SAP Process Orchestration Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.