ML
SAP Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Strong financial and manufacturing integration

• "S4HANA is a completely integrated solution. It's an end-to-end ERP system with strong manufacturing and financial integration, which is not common among ERPs. And it's a solution that's driven by industry best practices."
  • "Maybe its user interface and reporting can be improved across the board, but it is manageable."

What is our primary use case?

Mostly I have dealt with project-based manufacturing companies where they do custom product builds, like heavy equipment, compressors, steam turbines, and stuff like that.

What is most valuable?

S4HANA is a completely integrated solution. It's an end-to-end ERP system with strong manufacturing and financial integration, which is not common among ERPs. And it's a solution that's driven by industry best practices.

What needs improvement?

I've been using S4HANA for about 16 years.

S4HANA's stability is good.

S4HANA is pretty scalable. We normally plan three to five years ahead and scale up accordingly. So as long as your sizing is done properly, you're good.

I don't have much experience with SAP's tech support, but I have used the online support system. It's okay for a company the size of SAP. But from a customer perspective, it can be time consuming to get help from them.

Setting up S4HANA is straightforward if you have a little bit of expertise, especially on the S4HANA side. You need to understand the appliances and hardware so you can set requirements for RAM as opposed to storage. If you have some experience in server administration, it's not like climbing a mountain; it's a small trip.

Most of the time, I've been able to quantify the soft savings, like savings in terms of time spent on processes and efficiencies that you gain. FDA reductions are generally difficult to establish over a finite period, but your soft savings are far more rewarding, and it's also more compliance related.

I have not dealt with licensing directly because our head office manages that. We only pay SAP to perform maintenance on the solution instead of doing it in-house. Given the size of an ERP system, you need some extra labor to maintain it, but it's justified if you look at the cost-benefit analysis. Some companies go overboard with hiring many people, and then they say it's too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate S4HANA 10 out of 10. It's a good solution. I think some companies are penny wise and pound foolish. They invest a lot in other ERPs, and when they start to grow those systems, they create a lot of inefficiencies in the process.

Ali Mirnia
Chief Executive Officer at Redment
Highly scalable, stable, and plenty of features

• "The functionality of SAP S4HANA is very good when comparing it to others, such as Oracle, Microsoft, and other ERP solutions."
  • "Thi solution can improve the Bill of Materials (BOM) and production planning."

What is our primary use case?

SAP S4HANA is a resource-plaining solution that can help with digital transformation by using features, such as robotic process automation. It has very useful functionality but, at the moment, AI is not very natural in the world.

Our company is very large and out of the largest six modules in SAP S4HANA, we use Material Management, Sales and Distribution, Plant Maintenance, Quality Management, Customer Service, and Production Planning.

We use all modules in accounting, for example, Financial Supply Chain Management, Treasury Management, and Project System. In the warehouse, we use Transportation Management and Extended Warehouse Management and in the HR system, we use Personnel Administration, Payroll, and Time Administration.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP S4HANA robotic process automation has helped our organization by reducing approximately 80% of work in the accounting department.

What is most valuable?

The functionality of SAP S4HANA is very good when comparing it to others, such as Oracle, Microsoft, and other ERP solutions.

What needs improvement?

Thi solution can improve the Bill of Materials (BOM) and production planning.

In an upcoming release, the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) in SAP is very simple, and SAP should extend PLM in the ERP system. Additionally, SAP S4HANA should add more advanced features for monitoring in the database, such as in the Oracle solution.

I have been using SAP S4HANA for approximately five years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is highly scalable.

We have more than 6,000 people using this solution in my organization.

We are not able to use technical support in my country because in Iran it is sanctioned. However, we have not needed the support, the solution has been working well.

The initial setup of SAP S4HANA is a very complex and time-consuming process. If you want to implement all modules then it will take more than 10 days.

The price of the solution is reasonable but some modules can be expensive. When comparing SAP S4HANA to other solutions, such as Oracle, it is not expensive.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I would strongly recommend this solution to others.

I rate SAP S4HANA a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SAP S4HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VB
User at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Interface suits all users, high database performance, and reliable

• "I have found the most valuable features are the interface, which is very good for all users, and the database performance is good."
  • "In an upcoming release, it would be beneficial to have more practical intelligence in the system, such as protective maintenance, or artificial intelligence."

What is our primary use case?

We are using SAP S4HANA for supply chain management, production planning, and material management. We have connected systems that have intelligent optimization for production planning outside of SAP S4HANA.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable features are the interface, which is very good for all users, and the database performance is good. Additionally, we have more service APIs to communicate with third-party solutions or systems, such as cloud systems or other participants, than in our last ERP system.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, it would be beneficial to have more practical intelligence in the system, such as protective maintenance, or artificial intelligence. This would not be too complicated to provide nowadays. If you have a mission learning or artificial intelligence, you have to have it in the cloud and have cooperation between the ERP and the cloud. It is not as good as it could be.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

We have had no problems with the stability of this solution.

The scalability of this solution depends on the hardware and the platform you use. If you have fixed hardware, then you need more effort to have scalability. If it is on the cloud, such as Azure, it is a lot easier to scale. The software itself is very practical and scalable.

The technical support is very good between the service levels.

The installation is straightforward.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The solution is expensive. There are many discussions surrounding the topic of third-party indirect usage of SAP solutions. If you have a third-party system and you have a connection to the SAP system, should this third-party usage qualify as a cost or not. It is very complicated to handle with the SAP organization.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend those wanting to implement this solution to make sure their internal IT departments are trained well to be able to educate the teams.

I rate SAP S4HANA an eight out of ten.

Rahul Lamba
Senior Functional Consultant at Cognitus Consulting
Ability for remote access is a key feature in streamlining our processes

• "The Fiori design is a valuable feature."
  • "Documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior functional consultant and we partner with SAP.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, when a sales person had to register a deal, it meant logging onto Windows to look at the deals, now it can all be done from a mobile phone. That's a huge benefit for us.

What is most valuable?

The best part of this solution is the Fiori design.

What needs improvement?

The documentation for this solution can definitely be improved and I'd also like to see more support, more numbers of Android or iPhone apps.

I've been using this solution for three years.

This solution is stable.

The solution is highly scalable. We've scaled it more than 75% of what we initially had. We regularly scale and there's no excess consumption of resources or major tweaks required when we're scaling up. We have around 500 end users and we have a team of five or six people responsible for maintenance, including a system administrator. We use this solution extensively and will continue to expand our use of it.

We had a good experience with technical support. They know what they're doing and the response time was good.

We previously used SAP ECC. We switched because they discontinued maintenance of ECC and this is a new solution altogether. It didn't make sense for us to continue with SAP ECC.

The initial setup was moderate on the complexity side. Not too complex, but also not so easy. The deployment was done in-house and took several months.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of ERP solutions on the market - Oracle, JD Edwards, and the like, but when it comes to SAP, my experience is that once you implement the solution and you understand how it works, it becomes intuitive to work with. When you upgrade to a new solution or when a whole lot of changes come in, the user experience stays pretty much consistent.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

NAWAL SAXENA
SAP Project Manager at Saudi Cable Company
Helpful technical support, plenty of features, and secure

• "The solution is flexible, has a lot of functionality, and has the ability to deliver more security than other comparable solutions."
  • "SAP S4HANA is not suitable for all-size companies. If you have a small company there are better fit solutions for your needs."

What is our primary use case?

SAP S4HANA is used as a complete resource planning solution for our organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is flexible, has a lot of functionality, and has the ability to deliver more security than other comparable solutions.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SAP S4HANA for approximately five months.

We have found that SAP S4HANA is more reliable and stable than other solutions, such as ECC.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is very good. We have generated support tickets, and they have provided helpful advice and solutions to our problems in a timely manner.

I have used many other solutions, such as ECC and Business One.

The installation and cloud configuration was straightforward.

We had some issues with the installation of the solution. The implementation partner we were using was in India and they could not travel to where we are in Saudi Arabia because of the Covid-19 pandemic making resolutions difficult. Additionally, the communication was difficult. However, this was not the fault of SAP S4HANA.

We used the S/4HANA implementation team to do the full implementation.

There is a license required for the use of this solution and we are on a monthly subscription. The cost of the solution is expensive compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. However, they have to make sure it is the right fit for their environment. If they have a small company that has approximately 200 to 300 users then this solution is not the best for them, SAP Business One would be the better choice for their whole business cycle. S/4HANA is for larger-scale companies with more users.

I rate SAP S4HANA an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
DiaaHussein
Digital Transformation Director at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable, scalable, knowledgeable customer support

• "SAP S4HANA version 1909 is stable. We have not gone live with 2020 yet."
  • "The solution could improve by making customization easier. The on-premise version is a lot more flexible."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP S4HANA in a distribution business. We have the main site which purchases all material for management and then it goes through the main warehouses to the distribution sites. Finance controls, sales, and distribution are already there with the treasury added on top of the project.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SAP S4HANA for approximately two years.

SAP S4HANA version 1909 is stable. We have not gone live with 2020 yet.

SAP S4HANA is scalable in terms of infrastructure scaling. The solution does not cover all aspects of the business. For example, there is no final solution from SAP for point of sale. They have no specific point of sales solution, you have to build something to cover this area.

Our project is at a large company with 8,000 employees.

We had an issue with localization, there is some sort of localization for S/4HANA for a specific country. We did not face a lot of trouble with the support. The response was good, but overall it seems the process itself takes too much time. You have to go through specific steps waiting for a reply and then the escalation takes more time. The support could improve their speed.

The SAP cloud itself was not easy to implement any project because it is very hard to do any customization for the business requirements.

SAP S4HANA is expensive and for smaller businesses, it is very difficult for them to have the budget.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement SAP S4HANA is to make sure they have their blueprint and design. People have specific imaginations but things can turn out differently. Align very well with the business and identify your scope correctly to be sure you are following a solid plan along with the project lifecycle.

I rate SAP S4HANA an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
SA
Senior Manager at Mazars India
Good support and analytics capabilities, and it is definitely scalable

• "From a technology standpoint, the theory and analytics are fascinating."
  • "Every year, when a new version is released, it comes with a very thick booklet of 300 or 400 pages and it is a little difficult to comprehend."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and SAP S4HANA is one of the products that I work with.

What is most valuable?

From a technology standpoint, the theory and analytics are fascinating.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the delivery of features, I would like it presented in a more user-friendly way. Every year, when a new version is released, it comes with a very thick booklet of 300 or 400 pages and it is a little difficult to comprehend. This is something that should be simplified. A simple comparison between the older and newer version would be very helpful for customers and consultants.

The default UI has been the same for a long time and in my last few projects, I've found that it wasn't fast enough.

I have been working with this product since version 1511 in 2015, about five years ago.

I am comfortable with its stability.

This product is definitely scalable.

I would say that it is for medium-sized companies. For smaller companies, the scale of the project might be too large, so they may not be able to harness the complete power of S4HANA.

The support from SAP is excellent. It is very good, compared to other products.

The SAP Marketplace is a good source of support.

I have hands-on experience with a few other products that are on the market.

Compared to older versions, prior to S4HANA, it is very easy to deploy. Starting from a development environment, I say it would take about three to four months to deploy for a mid-sized customer.

What other advice do I have?

For ERP, I do not recommend anything other than SAP 4/HANA. For other applications such as CRM and planning, I may recommend a different product.

I think that the newest version is great and I think the idea should be to quickly push it to cloud completely.

LH
Senior Media Strategist at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has great scalability and allows us to get all our processes flowing together

• "We're able to get all our processes flowing together. We're able to make all of our business processes talk to each other."
  • "It should have more support. Documentation and support for mobile apps can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our financials and ERP.

How has it helped my organization?

It has got all our data more scalable, and it made it more workable for us. So, we're able to make things run faster, especially when our developer team was doing data modeling.

What is most valuable?

We're able to get all our processes flowing together. We're able to make all of our business processes talk to each other.

What needs improvement?

It should have more support. Documentation and support for mobile apps can be improved.

I have been using this solution for six months.

So far, it has been good. We had some problems with our customizations, but everything seems to be running fine.

Its scalability is fine. We plan to increase its usage and use it extensively.

All people who are using it are in IT. Some of them are in the finance department.

Their technical support is good. They were pretty knowledgeable.

We're new to that. We didn't use anything.

It was kind of complex because we didn't know the difference between the SAP Business ByDesign and SAP S/4HANA. It wasn't clear. SAP just has too many versions, and it was like, "Oh, give me a break, and tell me what to get."

For its maintenance, we have at least five people. They're in IT with different roles.

We used a consultant. Our experience was good.

We're not sure yet. I think it was six figures a year, over 100,000. It has straight-up licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10 because it has got great scalability. It has worked so far.

Product Categories
ERP
Download our free SAP S4HANA Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.