MarkusBurger
Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
High usability and good collaboration tools help bring everybody closer to the process

• "The collaboration hub, which helps us in terms of being able to communicate with our customers, brings everybody into the tool and close to the process, allowing them to comment and to implement their own processes."
  • "One of the most important points in Signavio that would be a great change would be the management of variants of the process."

What is our primary use case?

We are working to help our customers with manufacturing use cases from areas such as the automotive sector, mechanical engineering, production, and OEMs. Most of the time, it is end-to-end processes.

Our specialty is supply chain management on operational manufacturing, and in this environment, we usually use Signavio to model end-to-end processes.

How has it helped my organization?

I would rate the ease of use for this solution at five stars. The customers are more open to actually work with the product and in the product landscape because it's so easy to use compared to other products, where changes and remarks are very intransparent. This is a big advantage to Signavio.

We worked together with Signavio for a customer and six months ago they had nothing. That was a complete greenfield approach. I would say from March this year up to November they began with zero users to now it's a complete 180-degree change. They started from nothing and now everybody's using Signavio, communicating and collaborating and modeling their processes.

With regard to the solution’s integration of process modeling, mining, and automation, we usually get started from a maturity-level point of view. We've got our own framework to independently assess different customers process landscapes, and this is firstly done by our maturity level questionnaire, then intense interviews and workshops, and by having a thorough look at the data documents. It's pretty much hands-on and a lot of talking.

This solution enables us to carry out the entire process-improvement lifecycle in a unified hub, otherwise, we wouldn't use it.

I think that this solution gives our users everything they need in terms of functionality. In my opinion, it's customizable enough that you can realize your own ideas, but it's also standard enough that you don't have to make too many changes.

What is most valuable?

The usability of Signavio is at a very high level.

The Collaboration Hub, which helps us in terms of being able to communicate with our customers, brings everybody into the tool and close to the process, allowing them to comment and to implement their own processes. That is very important for us because that makes the process-based change really successful for the customer.

Signavio one hundred percent underlines the mind change that is required to implement a successful process landscape.

What needs improvement?

We very often face situations where Signavio comes to its limits. One of the most important points in Signavio that would be a great change would be the management of variants of the process. This is very unhandy at the moment and what would bring a benefit to Signavio, as well as to the customer, is an even closer integration of the collaboration tools. These are the process manager, workflow accelerator, and process intelligence.

We are using the process manager and the Collaboration Hub.

This is a solution that we deploy for our customers.

I have no worries with respect to stability.

It's always a little work to scale this type of solution. When you start with, for example, two modelers and a handful of collaboration app users, it's very easy to handle. If you scale, you have to think of different aspects like user management or rights and so on. That said, we have had no problem with scalability.

We've implemented Signavio for companies with about one thousand employees. We have also implemented Signavio for a company with fifteen thousand employees and the scaling never was a problem.

I had a situation last year on the 24th of December, which is Christmas Eve in Germany. Usually nobody is working. I had a problem with my workspace and I rang up the support line. One hour later, everything was absolutely fine. That was really the best customer service impression I've ever had.

I personally found out about Signavio about seven years ago and just followed the company, their internal roadmap, and the development. I liked what I saw because they kept the pace over the last six, seven years.

But in general I had worked and I'm still working with different solutions. It's most important that we can work with the tools the customer requires.

From the technical point of view, it's very simple because as soon as you use a cloud solution, you don't have to worry about anything.

From the hands-on and from the working point of view, it might be a little bit difficult if you have never worked with BPMN. However, as soon as you get into it and based on the help Signavio or the tool provides, as soon as you start to work in it, it is pretty straightforward. If you're a motivated user it might take one to two weeks and then you are fully functional in Signavio.

We just finished a proof of concept with an automotive supplier in Germany where we completed a very rough analysis of about two weeks. We tried, based on the process intelligence approach, to improve the procure to pay process. For example, in this process we identified a quarterly potentially for savings of about €70,000 ($77,000 USD). That's definitely a saving.

We also have a customer that started from a blank sheet of paper and now they have an entirely functioning process landscape. This is intangible and not really a money-wise benefit, but they gained a thousand people in the process landscape during half a year. That's amazing.

To get a more objective view, we did a study last year. This was an internal study where we compared seventy BPMN tools and in the end, there were four or five tools, depending on the use case, that we put on our internal chart list.

Signavio was one of them. Depending on the use case, there might be one or two tools that we also would recommend to a customer. From an overall point of view, Signavio just had the best evaluation based on our survey. When it comes to high-end tool functionalities, they are very close to each other. However, with Signavio, it was also the support, the service, and the prospective. They are really trying to build some good features into the tool over the next one or two years. I'm very sure that they will outperform even the other vendors on our shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

Our clients are not currently using the process intelligence functionality because of a lack of quality data. However, some are starting to implement SAP this year and based on this implementation and the gathered data, there will be definitely a process intelligence or process mining approach. This will happen in the next two to three years.

From our internal BPMN survey of over seventy tools, I feel that Signavio is still a very good choice. That said, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a consulting partner of Signavio
AB
Procurement Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has high-level process mapping features and has reduced bottlenecks, reworks, mistakes, and unnecessary activities

• "There are many valuable features, of course. I would say the main value of Signavio is to have your current process map in a way that is easy to read and derive optimization actions to make it leaner, faster, more user friendly, etc. Another great feature is the visualization, which is easy to see and read. How they map the process is also very user friendly, with drag-and-drop functionality. Also, it's a very self-explanatory, user-friendly solution."
  • "I would like to see more predictive analytics. The tool already has all the process maps, but it could offer a more proactive improvement offering. For example, they could put a little bit more machine learning behind it."

What is our primary use case?

In my case, representing the procurement department, we use it now for process mapping of all procurement processes, such as source to contract, procure to pay, and supplier management. First, we map and analyze the current process, then we determinate situations that can be optimized or improved based on our process mapping.

We knew we needed to invest in Signavio because we are a large company with around 15,000 employees and multiple departments. It was impossible to have an overview of all the processes that we have, including processes that are linked to each other and that we might have in Excel, Word, or PowerPoint. How do you bring all of these together to identify possible redundant or contradictory processes? Putting everything into one solution gives us the efficiency of mapping everything and knowing where we might need to focus to make it easier, faster, and leaner for everyone.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of how Signavio has improved our organization, take our supplier onboarding process, to name one concrete example. In the past it took around 18 steps, so we mapped them in scenarios to identify double work, reworks, and things that took much more time than they should. Today, if I look at the new process thanks to Signavio, we were able to reduce it from 18 steps to six, so you can imagine the amount of effort reduced, in terms of people touching the process and time touching the process. This is an example of how we use Signavio to reduce process cycle times.

The solution enables us to carry out the entire process improvement life cycle in a unified hub, because we have all the processes mapped so we can check at the lowest level of detail. We do not only see the process overview but even the activity or task level.

I think the solution's functionality provides everyone in our organization what they need. I am not a superuser, but more of a standard user. For the requirements we have today, at least in my team, we are covered.

I do not use the process intelligence function personally, but my team uses it. Of course, it has affected the way we approach business transformation. We use Signavio to map our processes and identify bottlenecks, double work, and reworks. We eliminate those and make the transformation from a bureaucratic process to a user and customer-friendly process. We don't use it on a daily basis, but we do use it on a regular basis to identify these issues.

The process intelligence has also provided insights into how our organization is actually operating. One example could be that by identifying our processes, we can identify how we organize our team. If you optimize certain processes, you might need fewer resources and you can allocate those resources in areas of the process where you might need more support.

Signavio enabled us to identify a few processes that could be improved. We removed a bottleneck by mapping the process and using the intelligence module, in order to identify where it was redundant. We then removed parts of the process to make it leaner. Another example is on the compliance side, where Signavio helped us identify that we did not check all checkpoints in the process so we could be leaner and even more compliant.

The solution has improved employees' workday functions. By reducing bottlenecks, reworks, mistakes, and unnecessary activities, employees can focus on adding more value activities and eliminating or at least reducing non-value-added activities.

The collaborative features helped our team create a process-centric mindset because there's no process in any company that is not cross-functional. Every process touches another function. Taking the same example of supplier onboarding, it enforced the collaboration between accounting and procurement, minimized the effort, and therefore made the collaboration even smoother because you don't fight about bottlenecks on the reworks. You have one lean process from both sides.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features, of course. I would say the main value of Signavio is to have your current process map in a way that is easy to read and derive optimization actions to make it leaner, faster, more user-friendly, etc.

Another great feature is the visualization, which is easy to see and read. How they map the process is also very user-friendly, with drag-and-drop functionality. Also, it's a very self-explanatory, user-friendly solution.

I would rate Signavio's ease of use as eight to nine out of ten. I am not a process management expert, but more of a business expert, yet I don't need much training to use it.

In terms of process modeling and automation, I can only speak on the process mapping feature, because that is the area I'm responsible for. I would rate it at a very, very high level. Besides ease of use, it is actually very professional in terms of its visualization. We even use it for external compliance audits and the like.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more predictive analytics. The tool already has all the process maps, but it could offer a more proactive improvement offering. For example, they could put a little bit more machine learning behind it.

I am not a technical person, but so far I have not seen any performance problems.

As we mapped all of our process, we started with the simple ones and we've scaled up to the complex ones. As of today we have all of our process in.

For me it sounded simple, but I don't know if the people behind it found it to be complex.

It is difficult to specify how much money we have saved in Euros, but I can name you as a percentage. I think Euros depends on the volume, but a percentage is determined more by the specific use case. In the case of supplier onboarding, we reduced the time from around six days of onboarding a supplier to a 24-hour service level.

What other advice do I have?

I think that this solution makes a lot of sense if you want to integrate many processes. If you do it for a single process, you might get some advantage, but you will not get the most out of this solution, which is made for bringing in different topics and processes and mapping them together. It also helps you decide where to split or eliminate roadblocks in order to make it leaner. The more processes you put in, the more Signavio makes sense.

I would rate it between eight and nine points out of ten. I think it's a super-advanced, easy to use solution that brings added value that we need. As a non-key user, but someone who uses the system from time to time for needs that we have, I find it to be a great solution.

Learn what your peers think about SAP Signavio Process Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SarahBullen
Head of Business Analysis Design and Engineering at BBC
Real-time collaboration improves efficiency and reduces problems

• "I like the collaboration and the real-time aspects of it."
  • "There could be something more on the reporting side of it for the processes you have captured or processes that might be work in progress to see where to target your effort because you don't always have lots of resources to spare"

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for capturing our workflows and processes in all areas of the business, whether that's HR or content production or finance. It's about discovering some of those workarounds and unblocking our workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

With respect to how easy Signavio is to use, that's an interesting one because different roles may look at processes in different ways and to some, the word-defined process is a complete turnoff. From the business analyst perspective, it is really easy to use. They're used to using Visio and modeling tools anyway. When it comes to the collaboration hub use, that took a bit of explaining to start. But again, it's a case of a picture paints a thousand words. Even a process diagram, as you're leading your collaborators through it, it's easier to understand.

To explain one way that this solution has improved our organization, I will use an onboarding process as an example. We were seeing the onboarding processes coming through a number of pieces of work and there were problems in the workflow because the issues were being addressed in individual functions, with HR or particular departmental areas rather than looking at it holistically. The fact that we can model the process end to end from the moment a new person is required for a role right through to that person being in their seat and working at their desk and engage with all the different subject matter experts in the different functional areas, really helped.

Using Signavio supports and enables our business transformation. From a business analysis perspective, we're always looking at the "as is" and the "to be" models. Having all of those workflows and processes documented to understand what we're doing now really helps with moving forward in a positive way.

What is most valuable?

I like the collaboration and the real-time aspects of it. The way that we captured processes previously started with the drawing of an image using Microsoft Visio. We might have had to have two, three, or four workshops to get to an end process that was usable. Now with Signavio, it's real-time. We might have one workshop to start off and capture the main tasks around a workflow, but then we can comment and update that real-time online and collaborate online. It's really helpful, especially as a team spread across the UK.

What needs improvement?

The user interface for the collaboration hub is antiquated and should be improved. It feels sort of 90s and I think there is more that can be done with it.

I would like to see more support for targeting efforts in terms of resources. One of the things we've done for ourselves is added an attribute to indicate where the process is from. This means that we can do a bit of a heat map of where we've got processes modeled and where we haven't. This gives us the ability to target particular areas of the business. There could be something more on the reporting side of it for the processes you have captured or processes that might be work in progress to see where to target your effort because you don't always have lots of resources to spare. So it's more around targeted efforts.

We've had Signavio in the business for about eighteen months. We started with a very small team of business analysts using it and then spread that across the BAs embedded in all of the digital products, as well as our studio's BAs. After this, with the Collaboration Hub, we've got all our people who work in the project and program delivery, as well as product delivery, all working together and collaborating.

Stability-wise, it's been fine. We've had a couple of minutes of downtime and when we've rung the Signavio help team, they've been fine and worked with us and it's been back online. There is nothing where I'd say it had an impact on what we were doing.

We started with twelve to fifteen users to begin with and now we're at seventy-eight. We're not in the hundreds or thousands but given the people that do the actual modeling versus the people we collaborate with, we collaborate with a lot more, so we have seventy-eight process modelers in the organization, but then we have two hundred collaborators.

Signavio support helped us with our initial setup and a couple of times when we had issues with downtime. They have always been helpful.

The initial setup was straightforward. We had a few information security issues to work through, which was due to the BBCs level of security and what we require. We've gone through all of that process. Again Signavio was on board and made sure that if we had any questions they'd answer those for us. We had their engineers on any calls with our InfoSec team as well. All of that worked through fine.

There has been time saved, definitely. Getting the monetary value requires additional effort in your process capture because, without the measures on that, process capture is very hard to get to the monetary value of return on investments.

Time is very easy to prove because I can see that from the number of people that would have been in workshops to capture those processes initially and how many times we would have been around that same scenario to do that. However, to get to specific use cases, you need to have the measures around those processes captured at the same time, so that's another degree of capture that you wouldn't have necessarily done in the original process capture, but it's fine. It's doable and then you can get to the monetary value, but we have not done that.

Right at the very beginning, we looked at five different products with Signavio being one of them. We had a list of requirements of what we wanted from our process repository. We went through all five products, had demonstrations of them, did a compatibility and feature matrix against all of our requirements and three came out of that process. Post further demos we had done, Signavio was the choice in the end because it met our business needs.

What other advice do I have?

We do not yet use the process mining and process intelligence functionality, but it is on the roadmap and we plan to do a proof of value this year.

This is a good solution but there needs to be work done on the Collaboration Hub user interface. Also, there is always room for improvement.

StephanSiegwart
Process Engineer at Swissgrid
Easy to use with good collaboration and state of the art modeling capabilities, but the licensing should be changed

• "I have done a lot of modeling over quite a number of years, and I think that the modeling capabilities in Signavio are state of the art."
  • "For us, it would help a lot if this solution had floating licenses."

What is our primary use case?

We are a transmission system operator that handles the high voltage electricity network in all of Switzerland. There are a lot of core processes and managing support processes, and they need to be very accurate because what we're doing is quite critical.

It's critical infrastructure, so doing things wrong at the core can cause a lot of damage and cost a lot of money, but it can also cause injury or death. It is dangerous, therefore our processes need to be very well understood and need to be run very strictly.

How has it helped my organization?

Our employees rely on the Collaboration Hub to understand the processes. They know exactly what to do and how to do it, what the procedure is, and if necessary, what forms to use. We have a few modelers around the company who are based in the business units. They keep up with what the processes are, keep them alive, and keep them updated.

One of the things that are quite easy to achieve with a tool like this is that you start getting together and talking about what you're doing. Being able to show that, graphically, raises the understanding of what all of the team members think we are doing. It is a good way to discuss our understanding, which could be different than it was in the beginning. Just condensing and focusing on this graphical representation unifies our views, which I think is already a big, big step in improving what we're doing.

I think that this solution would help us to carry out the entire process improvement lifecycle. However, I fear that our maturity of processes is not too high. I'm glad that most of the critical processes are there, documented, can be read, and are kept alive. We're not really doing an improvement lifecycle, not really doing metrics measuring, doing improvement, or things like that. We're still one or more stages away from that.

For the time being, I think that everyone in our organization has the functionality that they need.

In terms of improved employees’ workdays, I have seen stability brought to them. I noticed it first about three years ago. This solution has also improved from the modeling side over that time, whereas it has always been easy for the end-user.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing for me is the collaboration hub that can be used by everybody. They can really get their information quickly. It shows them the logic workflows, and also allows them to get the needed documentation, forms, templates, and whatever they need. It's easy to use, you know where you go to get your information, and it's very valuable for everybody.

What needs improvement?

For us, it would help a lot if this solution had floating licenses. I would consider this to be my number one improvement because we try to involve as many people as possible in modeling, rather than having them just consume work that other people have done. We feel that it is important for people to identify with the processes, and with what we model, so it requires that we have a lot of licenses. If we had a floating license or a concurrent license, then it would help a lot.

Stability has been fine for quite some time, although I had some trouble with the introduction of a new release a few weeks ago. This shook the stability slightly, and unfortunately, it was exactly at the time I was giving a course on using Signavio.

It took perhaps one or two days where it was very slow, and sometimes not responding at all, but it is now back to normal and working well.

We have four hundred and fifty to five hundred people in our company who have access to our processes through the Collaboration Hub.

We started with perhaps three hundred users in the beginning, which is not a big difference from where we are now, but scaling it was fine.

In most of the cases, technical support has been quite quick. Not always, but what I liked is that when I had a problem and there was an answer, I used the tracking tool and it was easy to get back to the same person.

This is important to me because I've had experience in other areas where if you need to have three contacts for one topic, you always start at point zero with a new person. This is very boring and I didn't see that. In this way, I think that technical support is good and organized.

Before I joined the company, they were using ARIS BPM. It was perceived as being complex and not easy to use.

The setup seemed straightforward. When I saw it, the solution was up and running.

We used a company called EnerBit in Switzerland. They are a partner of Signavio and they performed the setup for us.

Measuring ROI is quite a complex thing, which is probably the main reason why we don't currently do it. My gut feeling is that we have realized ROI because the license is not too expensive.

I think that the price of the licenses is between $2,000 USD and $3,000 USD per license per year, plus the hub usage. I cannot remember the exact cost, but it is affordable.

The biggest investment is in training the people, and building up the processes and discussing how it should be. That's where a lot of time goes. That's where the money goes. For me, this equilibrium is very good. The money should not go into licenses, but rather the big value is in the content in the end.

We did a GATT / WTO and there were a lot of companies applying. One of our central points was ease of use, especially for the end-users, but secondly for the modelers. I think that Signavio was selected because of this. It was very easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

I was in the software business for a long time, developing SaaS solutions, so I am quite critical when it comes to rating products. I think Signavio BPM does its job, it is easy to use, but it runs a little slow sometimes and it could be faster.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

OliviaKleine
IT Team Assistant for Integrity and Compliance at TUI Group
A complete package that includes a QuickModel feature to help you start working right away

• "The formatting features are quite good because you can create very complex models, but you can easily clean them up so that they look very nice."
  • "I would like to be able to include images in the documentation."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use for Signavio Process Manager is to document our process and look at how we can improve them. We also use it as a basis for communication, internally and externally, to show workflows and ask for feedback. You can really see what has to be done on both the development and user's side.

How has it helped my organization?

Signavio is very easy to use. I've seen some other products and the modeling in this solution is super fast. I like the QuickModel feature, where I can sit down with someone who isn't into process modeling at all. You can just type out the steps that there are, and then later clean it up into a proper process model.

Using this solution has helped when we work together on a project with a lot of different people. In our compliance environment, you have several people in different roles. There is me, who is the technical person on the team. There are lawyers that bring in the expertise and the content. Then, you have developers that actually build the platform for us. Having a diagram instead of a ten-page document that describes what we want to do gives us a language that everybody understands. We can all sit there, look at the process, and everybody understands what is going on. On the basis of that, it is very easy to talk about what we need to do. It actually surprised me to see how good it is for communication and for simplifying complex topics.

The adoption is good in our own team, although overall, it is not going as we'd like. There are other teams in our company that started using it, but usually, there are only one or two real modelers in each team. This is especially true because of the license, as not everyone is going to get a license for modeling. This means that you always have experts, so to say. Normally, the other users look at the Collaboration Hub and then use comments.

We have not yet begun the integration of process modeling, mining, and automation. In fact, we haven't really begun to optimize yet. We are still in the first process of documenting our current processes and unifying them.

We are trying to work on the process-improvement lifecycle at the moment, but we aren't there yet. I've seen that the Velocity update is going to provide us with something that's going to make this easier and nicer for us to do, especially from a visual perspective. Some users need a nice visual picture and there are some things that come with the update that I think will be very beneficial for us.

With respect to giving all of the users what they need, it is hard for me to say. We mainly have power users, experts, and then we have a few users who only leave comments. We haven't rolled out the Collaboration Hub on the whole company yet.

While we have not rolled out the Collaboration Hub company-wide, I can say that in my team, it has helped create a process-centric mindset. When we do a project, we try to document everything that we want to do in Signavio, including the lifecycle. It really helps to keep us focused on what we want to get and what we have to keep in mind for the whole process.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is modeling. It is very quick and easy.

The formatting features are quite good because you can create very complex models, but you can easily clean them up so that they look very nice.

The customization is very valuable because we use a lot of attributes, which helps us with how we look at our processes and also the steps in our documentation.

The QuickModel feature allows you to start right away, put down a model, and then clean it up later. It's very quick and easy and we like that.

What needs improvement?

As a standard user, I would really like to have more flexibility in the visualization, especially on the main page of the Collaboration Hub to make it easier. I would like it to show cycles and other things, rather than just boxes and arrows.

I would like to be able to include images in the documentation.

I generally have not had problems with stability issues. It's running really fast and smooth especially for how complex some of the diagram sketches are. The only problem is that it's online-only, and there's nothing like an offline feature, which means that it is only as stable as your internet connection.

We have set Signavio up in different departments and it is easy to just add more users. There is the option to set up a separate platform inside the company if it is necessary. It has always been easy to do, but we have not yet reached our full potential.

Signavio's technical support is very good. They are very nice, helpful, and fast in replying. It is not the case, as with some solutions, where you feel like you are talking to a wall and only get standard replies. Our experience is that we've had a responsible person that has called us back and showed us things the right way. It is very nice and I really like the support.

The other solutions that I have seen are BOC ADONIS, Camunda BPM, and some free stuff as well. That had a few nice features, but I really like the way that Signavio functions.

What other advice do I have?

Some of the quality-of-life improvements that I had wished for seem to be included in the new version. My understanding is that things have been made easier for an end-user to just click through it and find the way, like a Wiki.

My advice to anybody who is researching this type of solution is to connect with Signavio and ask them for a webinar or presentation. They are very good at showing things that you might not notice in the normal advertisements, or if you just look at it by yourself. They know the basic application and what you need it for, and they can show you the features that might be of interest to you.

I am very happy with the product. I have seen some other tools, and Signavio is the whole package. It is easy to use, quick to use, I like the features, I like the support, and I like the people who are working behind it.

Private Cloud
SN
Operations Change at Morgan Stanley
Helps us to go back to basics and document our processes in a standard way, in a central repository

• "The reason we chose Signavio is it's a very robust industrial-grade business process modeling data tool, with data capture behind it, as well as a collaborative nature. A lot of it comes out of the box and requires less technology involvement. It can be run well by the business users. That's what we really like about it."
  • "I think the interface itself can improve a bit. I think the interface is still stuck about a decade in the past, if I may be so brutal about it. Some of the buttons are really small, so you can't even see them. I think it needs upgrading to the 21st century with apps and the way we use mobile phones."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is to get a better understanding of our process. We want to get right to the core of it. We went through a multi-year automation journey and we found that most people really didn't know their processes well enough. Signavio is helping us to go back to basics a bit and document our processes in a standard way in a central repository. It also gives us a better understanding of the process so that we can be more targeted, accurate, and effective in the way we do our transformation.

How has it helped my organization?

It is still early days, but we have big plans. We want to embed the use and maintenance of the process data into everything that we do. We have various roles and operations from line management and business management to risks, supervisors, and change people. We need to embed the consistent use of a single store, a golden source of data for everything that we do. Our plan is to get the process documented, but then make sure that people use that, so it's not something that sits on a shelf somewhere and people only look at it when there's a problem or issue.

In terms of a business transformation, we've had a couple of successes and good examples, but we're going slowly, so it's going to take us some time to get there. We're setting the foundation for it, hopefully.

Signavio's phone apps help improve employee's workday functions, certainly on the chain side. People that typically pick up a process map for everything that they do are getting a lot of use out of it. The feedback so far is this is great. This is something that we needed. We've gone through a lot of transformation over the last ten years, but this is setting the stage for the future.

What is most valuable?

The reason we chose Signavio is it's a very robust industrial-grade business process modeling data tool, with data capture behind it, as well as a collaborative nature. A lot of it comes out of the box and requires less technology involvement. It can be run well by business users. That's what we really like about it.

It is also easy to use. We were using Visio, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Paint until very recently to document our processes. Through this automation program I was leading, we were using another product, which has the word blue in it, which was a leg up from Visio, but still not quite what we were expecting. For us, it's really about the data-driven aspect so we are able to access the data and stitch different things together, especially when you're looking at things in hindsight.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of things that could be improved. First, I think the interface itself can improve a bit. I think the interface is still stuck about a decade in the past, if I may be so brutal about it. Some of the buttons are really small, so you can't even see them. I think it needs upgrading to the 21st century with apps and the way we use mobile phones.

Secondly, although the navigation is fine and the customization is absolutely phenomenal, it is difficult to create different perspectives and views without having to take the data out of the system and use a BI tool. Those would be sort of the two main things from my perspective.

We've been using this product for less than six months.

There have been no major issues, as we are on-premises. We're not on a cloud origin, although we'd like to move to that at some point.

We're actually working on extending our licenses. We want to almost double the number of licenses we have. That's because the amount of engagement we've had has been really good.

Their support is okay. Sometimes, we find that the turnaround time isn't as great and it can sometimes takes a few chasers to get a response, but for the most part it's okay.

This is the kind of question my boss would ask me. He said, "What's the ROI?" I would tell him that the ROI will be in the future. We've had a couple of examples where people have told us that this is what they needed. It gives them the visibility that they didn't have. It is still in the early days, though.

We started this journey with Signavio two years ago. It was actually one of my colleagues that met them at an OpEx conference in the U.S. That's sort of been our top of the list choice since then. We knew we needed to prove to ourselves and the organization that we needed a tool. That's why we used that other blue tool for a year and a half to inform our requirements and get better at it. Then we made a case for it. I think the on-premises version was always important to us. We weren't ready to put all of our stuff in the cloud yet, but I thought we were getting better at it. The collaborative nature of it and being able to customize a lot of things that we wanted without having to rely on technology support is really good. Some of the features like the API for putting data in and out provide a lot of functionality. We did a pretty extensive assessment of other solutions, but we decided that this technology was the best of all.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution somewhere between a seven and eight out of ten, because of a couple of things that we would want out of the box. The whole goal for us is not to be relying on technology to support us, but I can't customize a view or use customer attributes that I created. In some cases, I can use them, but it is very limited. Basically that and the interface are the only issues I have.

Andrew-Lim
Managing Director at Andrew Lim Consulting
Ease of collaboration increases visibility and engagement with our users

• "The most valuable feature is probably the nature of it."
  • "If you start from scratch then I think this product would be ideal, but if you already have something then it may or may not suit you."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case for this solution is (1) capture current process with Process Manager (2) invite process feedback with Collaboration Hub (3) Process Intelligence/ Process Mining from  SAP Tables for Process Discovery and Process conformance with current process.  The process are modelled to BPMN 2.0 Standard. From there, we are able to analyze the business process and identify improvement opportunities.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our organization in terms of the level of engagement. For example, everybody is more aware of the business process.

In my experience, the Signavio BPMN view is easier for the business to understand than EPC.

In the old days, we used to run workshops with post-it notes and flip charts, draft the process map and then email the process maps or stick up the draft process maps on the wall for comment. You then collate the comments and modify the process maps which is time-consuming.

Since Signavio Process Manager is a cloud-based solution, it's way easier. You just invite users to comment on the process map.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the collaborative nature of it. If somebody documents a global process then everybody can comment on it, or contribute to the process map, regardless of where their office is.

For myself, I most often use the process manager, which has a friendly user interface.

What needs improvement?

The Signavio Process Manager is a middle-range solution that is also capable of process simulation and workflow management. Whilst it may not be as strong as other products for certain tasks; For example, simulation-wise, it is probably not as strong as SIMUL8 Process Simulation Software. For complex workflow management, it's probably not as strong as Appian. It represents good value for money with strong performance.

If you wish to build a process-centric business from scratch then I think this product would be ideal.

Signavio has released a newer version of the Customer Journey Map which is way better than the previous version.

4 years.

The stability is absolutely amazing. Up until now, I haven't had anything that I'm not satisfied with. We have not had any downtime since I have been with the company.

In terms of scalability, I have used several of the components and they all seem to be integrated. Everything ties in really well. For example, the decision modeling component is linked to the business process map, which is really good.

We have about two thousand people in our organization, and about three hundred who have been trained to use Signavio.

I'm not aware of any major things for which we had to go back to Signavio. The whole platform just works. The issues are more to do with what happens on our site in terms of, for example, creating the library. How you utilize or re-use the elements is entirely based on the libraries that you have created. If you have five different elements that are all called "Approval process" then it becomes a problem, but that would be an issue of governance.

We were using a fairly old ARIS product and then switched to this solution. The ARIS product was well structured, which is good, but the user-friendliness of Signavio Process Manager beats ARIS hands-down. The ARIS solution is also very expensive.

The switch came about when our ARIS license was about to expire, and we considered upgrading the existing product. Our group of thirty-two people evaluated both the upgraded ARIS product, as well as Signavio Process Manager, and it was put to a vote. The result was a unanimous decision to transition to Signavio.

The initial setup for this solution is very straightforward, especially compared to the ARIS product that we were using. Essentially, when you sign up, they give you the username and your password. You can set up the end users in one day.

The difficulty in setup is not on the Signavio Process Manager side. Rather, it is a question of whether the process architecture has been properly defined for how you want to document the business process. Obviously, that has nothing to do with the product, but you need to have a process architect who is able to set up the process governance framework prior to the process mapping.

There was a period of change management because of our switch from the ARIS solution, so there was training involved, but it was a fairly easy transition.

During deployment, we had one person doing the training, who also helped us translate processes from ARIS to Signavio. We had one person to manage it, and another to help us roll it out.

For the implementation, it was fairly easy and we worked directly with the Signavio consultants.

No comments as I was not involved in the commercial negotiation.

This solution provides good value for the money.

We only evaluated the ARIS and Signavio solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Signavio Process Manager is a very good middle-range product. If you want to have more engagement from your SME, or are just starting out and trying to build a process-centric company, then this solution is ideal. You have all of these components in one product, and it will help you to resolve various issues.

The product itself is brilliant, but you need a strong process architect who can provide governance and the framework as to how the business will need to go about documenting and then maintaining the business processes. You need to have the right expertise within the company. The best software in the world can't make up for this.

While Signavio is quite user-friendly, it can be an issue if multiple people creating the same entity in the dictionary. For example, a subprocess "Approval Process" can be created by different teams and process owners, this is something that has to be managed properly.

If I were given the opportunity to recommend process software for people to use, I would highly recommend this solution based on my experience.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Matt Mueller
Global Business Process Management Facilitator with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and a valuable portal, but it needs a process automation engine

• "Process management/Process governance is what we think Signavio is very good at."
  • "The reporting is too slow and there is a limit of 250 processes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Signavio for global process documentation, process discussions, and process management (process owners).

We are running Signavio on IaaS (our own cloud) and Signavio Names is on-premises.

We also use the Signavio Dictionary function as a glossary of our business terms, and to manage the process roles. As we have more than 25 offices around the world and selling in more than 55 countries, we can not map functional roles on the Swim lanes chart. This would not work.

The process roles feature is crucial for us, as this is the way the people know what they do.

How has it helped my organization?

If you talk about what BPM has done to your organisation, then I would more see this as the refined question to ask.

The most important thing is to understand is that it is not about Signavio. Rather, it is about managing your processes and having process managers (process owners), with the goal of improving your processes.

It is crucial to use a BPMN capable software like Signavio, but you need a process automation engine to improve your processes, and this is what Signavio is missing! The effective workflow can not even reuse the BPMN diagram.

But to answer the question, Signavio has helped our organisation in the following ways:

We started with having 250 processes documented when we used Signavio, whereas now we have about 1,600 processes (global standards in production) and more than 8,000 processes in the system (this is like a knowledge base).

The easy-to-use Signavio has significantly helped us to climb to maturity, but we are using other tools to automate our processes. We are importing the Signavio processes and automate them using the automation tools.

What is most valuable?

This is what we use and find most valuable:

• Quick modeler; as the process interview can be done by everyone. The Gateway is missing, which is a shame because others have this feature.
  • Signavio modeler; this is our bread and butter functionality, although it is missing process variants, localisations, and no "To Be" process management.
  • Dictionary; this is an extremely powerful function that helps us to understand who does what, system and data usage, capability, and Business Term Management.
  • Collaboration Hub; we name it the Zespri process Portal. It is the one place to go, and a single source of information of truth.
  • Process management/Process governance is what we think Signavio is very good at.

What needs improvement?

It is missing workflow functions. The actor's email is stored in maps, which makes it unusable.

The reporting is too slow and there is a limit of 250 processes. There are not many reports available.

The governance report is only available on the dashboard.

There is no metadata and everything is on a map level. Process owners have to be entered into a single map!

There is no functionality for variants of processes.

There is no "To Be" process functionality. We have established a time-consuming workaround.

The copy function is only a one to one process if you like to keep your revisions/versions. Folders cannot be copied.

The number of bugs has increased a lot and it is still rising.

I have been using Signavio for more than five years.

Daily stability is ok. Mass uploads of processes and dictionary items will break the system, and process uploads are not managed properly. Some imports will complete only halfway or not at all.

We have 280 modelers and more than 8,000 Process Maps (As Is and To Be).

I guess we are a very heavy user because, for the past six months, we have reached our limit.

Customer service/support was great in the beginning but is now extremely poor.

You can feel that Signavio does not like on-premises any longer, as they try to push everyone onto the cloud-based SaaS.

If you are experienced then it is really straightforward.

Everything in-house for the application level and we used our service provider for implementing the IaaS component.

SaaS has no setup cost, just licensing fees.

We have looked at more than 100 other solutions, and Signavio was selected because of its ease of use and the portal. We had an enterprise workflow solution, but the workflow was not that important.

For data mining and process intelligence, there is a lot of software out there that is better and cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

We prefer to have an on-premises solution, as we can choose what version we are using. With more and more bugs showing up, that is a big benefit.

Overall, this is a good solution, but process automation is missing. This is what drives real improvement. Be careful about their sales promises and create a SLA if there are lots of people using it. We have some bugs that have been hanging for more than nine months.

Also, we believe that there are lots of process mining companies out there.

My advice is to check out what the product offers, see what fits your needs, and see what the prices are.

I compare Signavio with an amazing car that has very comfy seats but no motor under the hood. That seems harsh, but think about it: the power is the automation, as this delivers value by minimizing risk, saving costs, executing faster, and improving precision.

In summary, Signavio has helped us a lot in terms of becoming process-centric, but it is not enough and you need other tools. Most importantly, have a BPM methodology in place. We use BPTrends with help from Roger Tregear.

Private Cloud