SAP SuccessFactors OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP SuccessFactors is #1 ranked solution in top Talent Management tools, top Cloud HCM tools, and top Talent Acquisition tools. IT Central Station users give SAP SuccessFactors an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP SuccessFactors is most commonly compared to SAP HCM:SAP SuccessFactors vs SAP HCM. SAP SuccessFactors is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is SAP SuccessFactors?
SuccessFactors helps organizations align strategy with objectives & manage people performance to ensure execution & results. Execution is the difference.

SAP SuccessFactors was previously known as SuccessFactors.

SAP SuccessFactors Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP SuccessFactors Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SAP SuccessFactors Customers
City of Cape Town, ADAMA Agricultural Solutions Ltd., TransAlta Corporation, Keolis, PT XL Axiata Tbk, National Football League (NFL), Plan International, Yoh, A Day & Zimmermann Company, China Talent Group (CTG TMO), Umicore S.A., Butterfield Bank, Skril
SAP SuccessFactors Video

Archived SAP SuccessFactors Reviews (more than two years old)

NadaDrhimer
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good performance, can be used anywhere and offers good scalability

• "The performance of the solution is very good."
  • "he user interface could be improved."

What is most valuable?

The performance of the solution is very good.

The solution has a mobile application and is on the cloud so we have the capability to use it anywhere, not just on location.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved.

The pricing model should be adjusted.

It takes a long time to deploy the solution, and it should allow for faster implementation.

I've been using the solution for about a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The solution's technical support is good.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant and work primarily with hybrid deployment models.

I'd advise others to look at the methodology before implementing it.

Although customers don't like the cloud, it is the future and it shouldn't be feared. You don't need a lot of IT specialists to handle the solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I haven't worked on the solution for too long and haven't used a lot of features, but so far it's good. I need to look at workforce analytics a bit more to see if it's a plus for the future.

AH
SAP SuccessFactors Function Head at EOH
Good performance management, reporting, and more scalable than other solutions

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the performance management module."
  • "The GUI needs to be enhanced to be in line with the latest and complete version of the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and this is one of the solutions that my company is currently implementing for one of our clients.

This solution is used for performance management. It can also be used for forms that people have to sign, and it does the validation. You can print documents that have all of the information populated from different business applications. It allows you to manage all of the people without a headache.

This solution contains several features related to performance management. It allows you to record achievements and feedback, and create monthly reports.

This is a public cloud deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the performance management module.

The reporting is very good.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have more information on integrating this solution with other systems, such as financial solutions.

The predictive analysis functionality should be expanded to offer more recommendations.

I have been working with this solution for three years.

This is a stable solution.

This solution is more scalable than other solutions because of the features that it offers.

This solution has very good technical support. They are very professional, and we have a good relationship with them.

The initial setup of this solution is not complex at all. It is very easy. If we have any issues then we can ask technical support for an answer.

The length of time for deployment depends on the customer and their environment, but I expect that it takes four months at the maximum. For our client, the deployment took approximately three months, and four people were involved. One or two people are sufficient for maintenance.

We are implementing this solution for our client.

The licensing fees are based on the number of modules that are being used, and the number of users. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

Many features and improvements have been announced for the next release of this solution. For example, there are many new integrations, including the ability to work with Excel files.

My advice for anybody implementing this solution is to plan ahead based on the organizational structure, and implement it one or two modules at a time.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SAP SuccessFactors. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AH
Program Manager HR-IT at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
SAP SF EC Support ou HR Transformation Strategy

• "The interface is user-friendly. It is very simple and intuitive, so it's good."
  • "There should be more connectivity with other systems."

What is our primary use case?

HR Master Data core system. Connected to SAP HCM System for Payroll and Time Management Process.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution support our HR Transformation strategy. Provide ESS and MSS functionalities to employees. Employees has digital access to their data and can start processes that before required paper handling as for example the change of personal data.

Reduce HR works and let the HR organization to focus on strategy instead of repetitive work.

What is most valuable?

ESS and MSS is a powerful functionality of EC. Easy and intuitive use of all the modules is one big attraction. Using EC as HR Core System facilitates the integration of other modules as Talent and Learning, which allow to have a common data framework and facilitates the Reporting.

What needs improvement?

Related to Employee Central, the administration of Global Assignments have room for improvement. It is not so simple to manage the effect of global assignments in the Talent and Learning modules once this is activated in EC. EC Payroll and Time Management should provide more functionalities and flexibility, there is still a big gap between the SAP HCM On Premise System and Employee Central.

I just started using SAP SuccessFactors two years ago, but they've been using it in my company for five years.

Is quite stable. However we have had some performance issues during the year.

It is scalable. We don't have any issues adding more and more people.

Their technical support is okay. Sometimes it can take some time to get a response and it takes some time to resolve some issues. The service is good.

We are still using our SAP HCM systems to process time management and payroll. We decided to move to EC because it supports our HR Transformation strategy and provide digital access to our employees. Our core data is managed by EC as leading system, as a Cloud solution help us to move to the future related to HR data administration.

The initial setup is somewhat complex. We get the software and it's in the cloud and they still said we'd have to do a lot of integration with our recorded on-premise systems for it. It's not that simple, it's quite complex. There is a lot of coordination involved in order to make it happen.

Consider cost of subscriptions and costs for implementation partners.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Diaa Hussein
Information System Manager at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
Good for management to understand how people are performing

• "The most important feature is the ability to follow up on the yearly performance of the team. It's very good for management to understand how people are performing."
  • "LMS, Learning Management Systems, needs improvement because there were some stability problems."

What is our primary use case?

I use the cloud deployment model. Our primary use cases of this solution is for making a fall schedule, human resources services. We're starting with the objectives, monitoring performance, efficiency, planning, and then management.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the ability to follow up on the yearly performance of the team. It's very good for management to understand how people are performing.

What needs improvement?

LMS, Learning Management Systems, needs improvement because there were some stability problems.

I've been using SuccessFactors for one and a half years.

It's scalable. We are expanding our business now to 500 employees. Scalability is good. We started with 400 users.

We previously used HCM but I wasn't there when they switched to SuccessFactors. I don't know why they switched.

SAP implementation is not an easy thing. SAP implementation is an issue.

We used a consultant for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to focus on your business requirements and get yourself a strong, reliable partner.

I would rate SuccessFactors a nine out of ten.

Darien Khairy
Sr. Supervisor HR at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Made our operations much easier and smoother but the reports need improvement

• "The best features that were working well for us was the Goal Management and Performance Management. They were the most valuable to our organization."
  • "They should improve the reports."

What is our primary use case?

We use the private deployment model of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It was much easier than the previous system. It made things a lot easier and operations much smoother.

What is most valuable?

The best models we used were the Goal Management and Performance Management. They were the most useful. We use three modules in our company, the Goal Management and Performance, the Talent Acquisition, and there's the LMS, the training. The best features that were working well for us was the Goal Management and Performance Management. They were the most valuable to our organization.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the reports. We had a problem with the reporting. If we compare it to Oracle products, Oracle has much more comprehensive and a better reporting system all in all. They really should work on the reports and making it more user-friendly. There's room for more customization in the reporting. This is the feedback I received, that the main edge that all Oracle products have is the reporting system, which is the main reason why I'm using the system in the first place.

In the next release, I would like for them to make the system have a slot for regular, back and forth feedback. It should have a feedback form on the system.

I've been using SuccessFactors for around three years.

It is stable. We haven't had any problems.

Scalability is good. We can easily expand it. We were able to integrate it with a couple of our systems.

We were not happy with their after-sales support. Whenever we had an issue it was really difficult to get in touch with them. There was a problem with asking them about a feature or other things. They weren't as responsive as we would have hoped. During the installation of the system, they replied 24/7. However, after we deployed the system, it was not that easy to get a response.

We previously used Oracle. We switched because SAP is much more user-friendly. We weren't using Taleo or Fusion, we were using Oracle Basic. SAP was user-friendly for our employees.

The initial setup was straightforward. SAP was really supportive during this time.

We used a consultant for the deployment and they were very supportive during the time.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution that they need to really look into their requirements and be very specific regarding the requirements when getting their orientation on the system and creating the requirement documents. They really need to to be very specific and very detailed in their requirements. Make sure to understand all the features and capabilities of the system.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

ST
Deputy Human Resources Coordinator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The interface is really useful and it's very easy to combine different information and to create reports

• "The interface is really useful and it's very easy to combine different information. For example, we can easily get reports that we need. It's very easy to create reports."
  • "Some of the screens aren't that user-friendly, older employees especially have a hard time with it. They have some problems with it."

What is our primary use case?

The administration parts and PA modules are on-prem but the talent management recruitment part is on the cloud. We have 22 different companies and we selected this solution so every employee can have a main point of connection.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Some of the screens aren't that user-friendly, older employees especially have a hard time with it. They have some problems with it.

Challenge management parts should be improved. Also, the recruitment part module should be improved to help managers to select the right person without an HR.

I have been using SuccessFactors for three months.

It is stable.

We don't have problems with scalability.

We haven't needed to use support yet.

Before using this solution we used Excel.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's very easy on the cloud.

We used a consultant for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure about your processes. If you know how to plan your processes and needs, it's very easy to deploy it.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

FF
Human Resources Officer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Has a lot of flexibility but it doesn't give us the flexibility to integrate to other modules

• "It's brought to our organization a big big improvement. We would give it a good rating."
  • "We have many interruptions and disconnection points into processes, which is why we are looking to another solution. We are not so happy with the system. We believe we have in the market better solution, so we are looking for alternatives but so far the system has been used a lot."

What is our primary use case?

SAP is our ERP. On the cloud we only have SuccessFactors for the recruitment.

What is most valuable?

We are currently looking for a better solution enabling us to better analytics. So SAP on-premise is pretty old and while it allows a lot of flexibility, it doesn't give us the flexibility to integrate to other modules. We have many interruptions and disconnection points into processes, which is why we are looking to another solution. We are not so happy with the system. We believe we have in the market better solution, so we are looking for alternatives but so far the system has been used a lot. It's brought to our organization a big big improvement. We would give it a good rating.

What needs improvement?

The analytics part could be improved. Analytics are pretty poor plus some usability parts need improvement but in the end, the process is covered. In some cases, we don't have the possibilities to reverse the workflow. Overall, the product is a good product, I'm not saying it's bad. We are just looking for an integrated platform and of course, SuccessFactors is one of the possibilities. We are evaluating several alternatives.

In the next release, I would like to have the possibility to reverse workflows. There should be better automation. On the scoring, it's pretty fine. It really depends on the way you manage your recruiting. We are a wide organization so we have these type of issues. But for the normal recruiting process, it's more than enough.

We implemented SuccessFactors in 2016 so we've been using it for three years now.

The system is pretty stable. We have not had big issues with that.

Scalability needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend SuccessFactors but I think the roadmap for a better product needs to happen. Our overall rating is good but I think there is space for improvement.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

SS
IT System Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Maintains employee records, and payroll but the analytics should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use the cloud version to maintain all the employee records, payroll, etc. We use everything that comes with the HR suite.

What is most valuable?

I like that everything is delivered to the employee.

What needs improvement?

Analytics could use some work.

We've been using this solution for three years.

There are regular updates and obviously you have to keep it up yourself on a quarterly basis. That's a bit of pain, but at the end of the day it's all about digitalization and HR transformation.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I like that everything is delivered to the employee.

What needs improvement?

Analytics could use some work.

We've been using this solution for three years.

It's currently fine. It depends upon your client base. You could have 5,000, 10,000, 20,000, 30,000, or more users.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's not that complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product. I would rate it as seven out of ten.

JD
Sr. Director, HR Solutions & Analytics at Micron Technology, Inc.
Used daily for various HR functions, but excels in talent acquisition and learning

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Performance Management, Talent Acquisition, and Learning.

How has it helped my organization?

This core functionality in this solution is solid. We use it daily at Micron for various HR functions.

What is most valuable?

Talent Acquisition and Learning features are best in class.

What needs improvement?

The Reporting/Analytics and User Interface need improvement.

Eight years.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Talent Acquisition and Learning features are best in class.

What needs improvement?

The Reporting/Analytics and User Interface need improvement.

Eight years.
it_user765252
SAP HCM/SuccessFactors Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Gives you more configuration options, but needs more mature cloud solutions for Time, Benefits, and Payroll

What is most valuable?

SuccessFactors is a cloud HCM solution, though still missing out-of-the-box (OOB) integration.

What needs improvement?

It need improvement on its integration side. Plus it should have some mature cloud solutions for Time, Benefits, and Payroll, which are still missing parts in SuccessFactors.

More than three years.

SuccessFactors was down completely for one day. All the companies which were using the Amsterdam datacenter were down from 8:00 in the morning to 18:00 in the evening. Production, QA, Training, and Dev with all their instances were down.

SuccessFactors has some limitations when it comes to scalability. SAP On-Premise was more scalable.

SAP is doing well for support.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Workday was evaluated with SuccessFactors. Workday was not able to accommodate some of our customizations, so the company decided to go with SuccessFactors, which gives you more configuration options.

What other advice do I have?

Integration is challenging and companies are struggling when it comes to integration between SuccessFactors and other systems. I will recommend to put more thought and effort for integration and make an intelligent decision.

Founder at a tech company with 51-200 employees
We use it for quick and dirty solutions as well as complex services.

What is most valuable?

A. SAP is making a firm commitment to creating a new single unified platform for every app it owns, based on the top of Hana in Memory Platform. In the future I aspect HR connected with IOT with Leonardo platform.

B. SAP is asking to professional to rethink HR, less transactional and more "Conversational". In SF, the architecture of the system allows to have very structured vertical functionalities (Learning, Performance, Compensation, etc.), but you can draw new service models using together the individual modules (you can design a “Pay per performance” process for example with Performance Goal Compensation)

C. SAP SF includes libraries of free contents (different data structure in Employee Central according to local laws, competencies libraries, goals libraries, etc.)

D. The usage of HCI and HCP (from HANA Cloud family) will extend the functionality of the product connecting with third-parties software or by extending the features of the individual modules. SAP has created a market place with dozen of 3rd parties apps

E. Artificial Intelligence is the new horizon:

Intelligent Services can automatically connect all actions that the system must take when an event occurs: have a new assignment. In less than two years, SF has released 40 predefined services.

In "Business Beyond Bias" against gender and race discrimination. The recruiting module has a feature that highlights a discriminatory language for example in the job description.

BOT. I saw some test where is possible interact with the system in natural language where for instance you can require to the system a Time OFF and the system will run all the appropriate actions.

F. Collaboration with Microsoft, Apple, Slack

Microsoft, with its technology Azure, is one of the partners to improve the data center services, I suppose also that we will see a better integration with Office world.

Apple, mobile first is the claim, is working to redesign the mobile user experience. At the end of June 2017 FIORI for IOS available.

Slack, we have already discussed about the bot: in the future I assume that the interaction will be made by voice with Siri or Cortana, or Google As.

How has it helped my organization?

We can design a “quick & dirty solution” or “very complex services”, we can manage small enterprise projects (in our experience 150 users) as the big organization (in our experience 40000 users), all with the same solution. This is a big saving of time, costs, and team usage optimization.

What needs improvement?

Employee Central made an incredible improvement, but still is behind the SAP HCM “On Prem” solution.

5 years - the full suite. 10+ years Learning Management System module (formerly Plateau Software).

Not on the platform side. At the end of 2015 there are been issues in the Data Center based in Germany with access problems.

On a scale from 1-10: 7/10

a. 10 years ago we used SABA, due to a cut costing program they moved all the developers from US to India, the result was a release with hundreds of bugs.

b. 3 years ago we tested Cornestone for a premiere Insurance and we recorded some issues when the new releases went live and a weak technical support service in Europe.

a. Employee Central is critical, you need to have a good experience to work on it. Is very powerful because the choices will impact also on the other modules. We are called to support some projects that were in fact blocked for wrong configurations due to limited product knowledge by other partners.

a. Price is based on: Number of users and number of modules. Other companies like Oracle or Cornestone are very aggressive, but it’s only is a business practice that cannot go on forever. For instance, Cornestone is under pressure to be sold to investors.

What other advice do I have?

Invest the right time on Employee Central, looking for a competent partner with a proven experience on real projects.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are SF Var, SAP Gold Partner Level
it_user607389
Principal Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
We like the UI, workflow configuration and role-based permissions.

What is most valuable?

User Interface - Gives a polished look for both users and administrators when they login and access the system.

Workflow configuration - Can configure any level of workflow for approval process with functionalities such as dynamic group, dynamic role concepts.

Role-based permissions - Can define a very clear role-based permission based on portlets or fields level permission.

How has it helped my organization?

The implementation has helped the organization by having a unified process across all locations.

What needs improvement?

Configuration transportation functionality is not available in SuccessFactor. If this functionality is introduced, a lot of time can be saved configuring individual systems.

I have been using it for three years.

We haven’t had any specific issues except for few issues related to the upgrade, which was resolved by SAP.

No specific scalability issues have been found.

I would rate technical support average to good.

We used legacy human resource systems in which there was no employee self-service functionality, as well as no workflow for the approval process. The authorization part was so rigid that it was very hard to maintain. Hence, we switched to SAP SuccessFactors.

The setup is straightforward and SAP provided adequate and updated version documents for reference.

There is room for negotiation with reference to pricing and licensing, which SAP supports.

There were other products evaluated, but we found SAP SuccessFactors to be more promising with reference to functionality and from an implementation perspective.

What other advice do I have?

The first activity any company should do is to streamline their policies and procedures, set a clear authority matrix and identify their reporting requirement before going for implementation. A good policy can add real value during the implementation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work for an approved SAP SuccessFactor partner company. We do consulting, advisory and implementation services.
it_user589368
IT Director, Corporate Systems at a retailer
The role-based permissions functionality is robust and flexible. The integration methods can be more user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

The Admin Tools functionality in Employee Central is great. For a technical/functional associate within our IT team, we can accomplish many (but not all) of the requests from our business partners.

The role-based permissions functionality is beyond great (in my opinion) and is honestly more robust and flexible than any other security setup/process that we have with other business software that we use (and have the ability to maintain security roles with).

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to implementing SuccessFactors, we had nowhere to go for a single snapshot of our entire company. Today, we have our entire North America, Europe and Hong Kong businesses in the system and therefore easily accessible.

SuccessFactors allows us to have an online performance/review process that is consistent across the organization.

SuccessFactors has a workflow/approval process in place to ensure that updates are made/approved by the official ‘manager’ and 2nd level ‘manager’ for that associate. Prior, everything was done on paper and faxed to payroll for entry into the legacy JDE system.

All department/store leads now have the ability to see employee information for those reporting through them (initial level and cascaded down).

All department/store leads now have the ability to make change requests for anyone in their reporting tree without having to fill out a form and faxing to payroll.

The entire company now has a tool to view basic information (including associate photos) on their fellow associates.

What needs improvement?

I think the integration methods can be more user-friendly.

SuccessFactors modules must become more integrated than they are today (i.e., EC with Performance, Goals, Onboarding, Compensation, etc.).

SuccessFactors modules must become more integrated with other SAP products (i.e., SAP ERP, Concur, Fieldglass, etc.).

Would be nice to have more standard integrations created for SuccessFactors. Currently, we are aware of standard integrations with WorkForce Software Time & Attendance and BenefitFocus. Others would be good to have (i.e., ADP).

The new hire process should have direct deposit entry as part of the initial step; we had to custom build this to ensure that every associate had at least one direct deposit record upon hire (we are 100% direct deposit company).

We went live with EC, Performance, Goals and Compensation in May 2014; a little over 2 ½ years ago.

We have not really had any stability issues. During performance review time (i.e., August/September) there seemed to be data center issues where associates were all having system timeout issues, data was being lost from Performance Reviews documents, etc. This has been resolved, but was an issue at one time.

I am not aware of any scalability issues.

Technical support has been an issue since day one. We have made our concerns quite apparent. We pay extra for Premium Support (SAP Preferred Care) and honestly cannot see what we are really getting at times. We have an assigned CSM, but this is our 3rd one (although we like our CSM now). When a priority issue is sent to ‘Engineering’, it becomes a black hole of sorts. The priority of our case is no longer relevant as the CSM (and team) cannot do anything once it gets sent to the Engineering Team. This is a problem, since for us, SuccessFactors support is SuccessFactors support, regardless of what department/level the case sits in.

More direct interaction with the case specialist would be very helpful. When we occasionally have the ability to speak with the person actually working on the case (i.e., not CSM or initial support team), we find it extremely helpful (but unfortunately, doesn’t always happen).

We had no specific HR system. Employee data was housed in the payroll system and not available to anyone outside of HR Payroll. Performance reviews and comp were all manual with Excel and other Microsoft tools. The organizational chart was basically Excel and not always accurate.

Setup was straightforward, but that was only because our implementation team (IBM) did all of that for us and walked us through everything. Eventually, we realized how intuitive the process actually is.

The only other product we were going to use was SAP HCM On-Premise for HR and payroll with a connection to SuccessFactors for the Talent Management suite (i.e., Performance & Goals, etc.). That project never got started and once we saw Employee Central as a SaaS offering, we determined to keep the existing payroll process (it has since been upgraded to ADP) and go forward with the Employee Central/SuccessFactors integration (especially since SAP purchased SuccessFactors and should’ve had SuccessFactors/Employee Central fully integrated, which it wasn’t).

What other advice do I have?

I would make sure they do their homework on an implementation partner, as that can make all the difference in the world.

I would make sure that all potential business changes are reviewed ahead of time so that the implementation partner can incorporate accordingly. For example, organization hierarchy changes, performance/goals modifications, job code changes (if necessary), etc.

Inquire about what all of your integration and reporting options are within SuccessFactors.

Inquire about how much you, as a customer, can do (i.e., Admin Tools) once implementation is completed.

it_user589476
Sap Success Factors Learning Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees
The LMS helps engage people across the organization. Setup was straightforward.

What is most valuable?

SuccessFactors includes a variety of talent solutions, core HR, collaboration tools and workforce analytics.

One of the talent solutions is a learning management system (LMS), which is also my main area of responsibility. Based on my overall experience in the SAP world, I consider the LMS a key component-tool to engage people across the organization. It might be challenging to set it up and align with clients' requirements. However, once it is done, it becomes very handy and easy to use from a user perspective.

It is attractive enough to come and launch this application on a periodical basis due to its user-friendly interface and intuitive functioning.

Shorter implementation timelines (comparing to on-premise SAP solutions), quicker response on configuration change cycles, modern look and mobile integration possibilities: Everything together makes SuccessFactors LMS a well-recognized and demanded talent solution across different types of organizations.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides easier access to corporate learning contents and advanced tracking possibilities.

What needs improvement?

SuccessFactors LMS generally is not a financial system. However, some of the clients previously asked for more advanced financial integrations; mainly invoice processing and mainly with external systems. Learning functionality, in this case, hardly can fulfill the requirements. On the other hand, there is actually ongoing improvement in this area, and new features are introduced on a periodical bases. Definitely a positive sign.

I have used this product for three years.

We had stability issues from time to time.

We have not really had scalability issues.

Technical supports gets 4/5.

Previously, we used SAP ERP. Then we jumped into the cloud world.

Setup was really straightforward with a simple implementation road map and an open configuration that can be easily or mostly supported by local company admins.

Be prepared for price surprises. It’s quite expensive. However, once you have maintained and started utilizing it correctly, it should be a great payback on your resource development.

What other advice do I have?

Work on requirements. Clear vision will simplify the roadmap. Prepare your master data if any. Start with easy processes implementation and usage, if possible, rather than focusing on complex heavy processes that are not obviously needed across the organization. Use the opportunity for reorganizing or at least structuring your business processes.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner.
Shanker Duraibabu
SAP SuccessFactors Center of Excellence at Wipro technologies Ltd
Enables provisioning, job scheduling, and a competency library for import and export. I would like better integration with Employee Central and Employee Central Payroll.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Provisioning
  • Job scheduling
  • Competency library import and export
  • Bulk employee export
  • BizX audit report (RBP & employee profile)
  • Candidate merge
  • Cloning company from stage to production
  • Admin user import

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way our organization functions as follows:

• It has a pre-configured master tenant which can run applications.
  • It consumes less time for deployment using SAP methodologies and best practices.
  • It has a quality gate in which they assure quality at the milestone of the project.
  • It can use the same methodology for small, medium, and large enterprises.

What needs improvement?

The integration with Employee Central and Employee Central Payroll needs improvement as the client is still considering on-premises solutions.

We have used this solution for over two years.

I have not encountered any stability issues at my level. I only know the Indian market.

I have not encountered any scalability issues so far.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

I have used the following solutions:

• Adrenalin ERP: I have used this as a process owner. It is average, with limited ease of use.
  • Greytip HR: This is an average to good solution, but only for small and medium size enterprises.

The main reason for switching into SAP SuccessFactors was for its brand, ease-of-use, predefined solution per business scenario, and agility.

The installation was straightforward initially, but also complex and vast while dealing with data migration and mapping. You need good knowledge of the product.

You need a good background when dealing with MDF objects. You also need the right configuration and an understanding of SAP on-premise for hybrid scenarios.

If you are deploying SuccessFactors for the first time, the first step is to get clarity from the implementation team on licensed features about any module. Do this before gathering requirements, or before doing iterations, to avoid last-minute chaos.

What other advice do I have?

For enterprises, spend time choosing a product for its suitability as per your business process. Customization is limited in some cases, or inapplicable in other cases.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners with SAP VAR and we deal with implementation services in the Indian market.
HCM Solution Architect, SAP and SuccessFactors at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It is cloud based and accessible. The UI is valuable.

What is most valuable?

• Cloud based
  • Accessible anywhere
  • UI

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way my organization functions by introduction of self service and consolidation of processes.

What needs improvement?

Integration between HCM modules can be extended to incorporate all data. SuccessFactors have improved their integration between their HCM modules substantially over the last two years and have identified continued room to improve. Improving this area would help in simplifying processing further.

I have used it for three years.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10.

We previously used the SAP on-premise solution. We switched due to SAP investment and roadmap forward was SuccessFactors cloud-based solution, improved UI, and accessibility.

Initial setup was straightforward; complexity lied within consolidating processes across the organisation and simplifying to ensure requirements could be met by best practices in the SuccessFactors solution.

The solution is subscription based on employee count and modules implemented.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options, as we ran SAP Payroll and did not want to change our payroll solution. We implemented SuccessFactors to enhance the solution and provide flexibility moving forward.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure business processes have been reviewed prior to project commencement and simplified. As SuccessFactors is implemented using an iterative approach, ensure testing commences early and all stakeholders are involved.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We also implement the solution (SuccessFactors).
it_user581826
Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Features are available on mobile and also on cloud (internet).

What is most valuable?

• All features are available on mobile and also on cloud (internet); no need to connect any server or application systems. All HR business processes across the customers are available.
  • Cross-module integration
  • Updated with all industry best practices
  • Less cost compared to the on-premise products

How has it helped my organization?

I’m a consultant from Wipro, an implementing partner of SuccessFactors; hence, we take the feedback from customers.

What needs improvement?

Customers are expecting more features in these modules:

• Employee Central
  • Succession and CDP
  • RCM integration with Indian job portals

I have used it for three years.

We encountered stability issues in integration of SuccessFactors with SAP ECC HCM via Dell Boomi middleware; still more standard integrations are expected from customers.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I rate technical support as medium.

• WFA, WFP and Onboarding modules pricing and licensing to be very specific

What other advice do I have?

It is the best cloud product in the market, with strong support from SAP, which is a market leader in the world. Integrating SuccessFactors with any other systems/applications should be understood clearly.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Wipro is an implementing partner of SAP SuccessFactors.
it_user584106
HCM Team Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers out-of-box headcount and strategic reporting. The Learning module can be used for compliance training and talent development.

What is most valuable?

SF Learning and Employee Central are the most valuable modules in my experience.

SF Learning is a key element in making SF a tool with added value for the entire organization. All levels (managers, employees, HR, interns, etc.) can be involved in these processes and use SF Learning for compliance training, to improve their own skills, and work on their own talent development.

Employee Central is often the first full personnel backbone for a company. It offers all the possibilities to manage employee data, but even more important, it offers out-of-box headcount and strategic reporting.

For companies who are looking for a solution that supports their time registration and payroll processes, the SF solution will have some functional gaps. However, SF Employee Central is fast evolving and these gaps will be closed soon.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables active talent development by the employees, instead of driven by HR.

What needs improvement?

I would like more functionality in time registration, calculation and payroll.

I’ve been using SuccessFactors for three years.

We had stability issues multiple times; sometimes disturbing and in a few cases, it caused blocks for business.

We have not had scalability issues.

I give technical support 2.5/5. It takes too long to fix issues and the impact on our business is often underestimated by SF support.

We were using SAP Talent and Taleo. We switched to SF because of the SAP/SF roadmap strategy and insufficient integration options within Taleo.

Initial setup was straightforward. We aligned business processes, where needed, to the SF solution.

Don’t go for the traditional implementation approach with remote/offshore consulting. Use an experienced implementation partner who has enough expertise in HR projects.

We evaluated Taleo. It had insufficient integration options and was not a full-scope product. We also looked at Workday. It was not a full-scope product and was not localized enough for European HR.

What other advice do I have?

Choose an implementation partner wisely for the long term. One who has a proven record in SF implementations and understands your business. Go for phased go-lives and apply a template for rollouts. Use the momentum to optimize business processes and align where possible to the SF solution. Start this before you start the implementation.

it_user585888
Hr Solution Architect at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can use the Compensation and Recruitment modules without additional instructions.

What is most valuable?

Comp and Recruitment: They really bring value for the managers and cost savings to HR. They are the easiest to use without additional instructions. The feedback received from the managers is very positive and they can also understand the benefits to their own organizations. E.g., in Compensation, a manager can manage the whole team at once and ensure they’ll implement the pay policy and guidelines.

How has it helped my organization?

There are top management recruitments where Recruitment has been utilized without using external recruiters.

What needs improvement?

LMS, the admin tool, is quite complex and requires a lot of admin work. The admin tool in LMS is a ‘system inside another system’ as the former Plateau, and the logic is not so self-evident as it is in BizX modules. SuccessFactors has ensured well that the LMS user experience continues but the admin tool is still separate from the BizX admin centre.

I have used it since 2011. We currently use SuccessFactors EC, Comp. PM&GM, Succession, LMS, Recruitment.

I have only encountered temporary performance issues, lasting a couple of hours. These are very rare anyhow.

Based on my experience, the system can be very flexible and easily configured based on the company requirements.

Of course, the level of technical support depends on your support model and whether you are taking the support directly from SuccessFactors or from the partner. However, partners cannot impact the technical settings too much. My experience is that SuccessFactors has done a lot of enhancements to their support during the year.

We previously used SAP HR. The most important reasons for changing the system were user experience, data visibility (portal) and cost savings.

Initial setup was straightforward, as global and lean master data was maintained in the previous system.

The most important is of course what systems you are able to implement (aggressive or less aggressive implementation) and then consider the implementation and license plan. It is also very important to find and select a partner that understands your company-specific complexity, are experts in implementation and not having extra costs (CRs). I think the partner selection is a key for keeping the costs in plan.

Before choosing this product, an evaluation was done.

What other advice do I have?

You don’t need be an expert in this tool area but you should consider carefully, what is your company’s target? Shall managers use the system or only HR? Are you only migrating the old system to the new or are you trying to fully utilize the new system? However, the most important is, of course, your internal resourcing and how ready your company is for the cloud implementation (e.g., global identity management, standardized workstations)? The implementation of SuccessFactors modules is usually very easy and standard, but the complexity comes with the relationships to other topics (e.g., integrations).

Liat Oren Wachs
Global Hris Leader , Senior Director at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Working with different types of forms in one platform is helpful.

What is most valuable?

Everything in the product is most valuable to us. The flexibility of working with so many types of forms in one platform and also the ability to define different eligible populations for any process are extremely helpful features.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a single platform that the HR team, managers, senior business leaders and employees use to participate in the company's annual processes and that was a great achievement. This also had cost reduction aspects.

What needs improvement?

There should be a single mechanism to manage forms, i.e., to create a template/forms, change/route etc. There is also need for role-based permissions and the ability to add filters in the compensation form.

I have used this solution's components as listed below:

• Performance: 5 years
  • Goals: 5 years
  • CDP: 1 year
  • Compensation: 1 year

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

There is still need for improvement in the technical support; it is not ideal.

Previously, we had used Oracle on-premises for compensation purposes. The reasons why we moved to another solution were its high cost and also since it was a highly customized solution.

You should go for the three-year contract.

What other advice do I have?

You need to spend time learning this product at the SAP SF Support Portal. You should also talk to customers who have implemented it before and learn the best practice approach that has been adopted by them.

it_user589494
Sap Hcm/Success Factors Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Employee Central has customisation options. Reporting should be reduced to one tool.

What is most valuable?

Employee Central is the core of the product and is the best developed. This module is well worked out and has a lot of customisation options, which makes SuccessFactors an ideal solution for many customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with a way of visualising all our employees.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is done in several tools and should be reduced to one tool. Time management is currently not sufficiently developed for a Belgian company.

I’ve been using SuccessFactors for five years.

We had stability issues very often during the end of the year and after updates.

We did not have any scalability issues.

Technical support is very good for things that are not urgent. When urgent problems occur, they are not handled very well.

I only worked with SuccessFactors.

If you do a good analysis, the setup is never hard. The most difficult thing is the analysis.

I never do sales. I only do implementations.

What other advice do I have?

It’s better to spend more time in the analysis phase than to reanalyse in the implementation phase.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller.
it_user521811
Senior Director IT, Business Intelligence & Data Resources at Norwegian Cruise Line
Allows us to consolidate our review processes. Has a complex data integration process.

What is most valuable?

The tool allows us to consolidate many review processes into one process. We had a lot of processes and everybody was doing their own thing. This tool has streamlined that succession management process.

How has it helped my organization?

We have multiple offices in different countries. This solution allowed us to consolidate all that data together without having to send spreadsheets and emails.

What needs improvement?

There are opportunities in every piece of software. It's not 100%. It's hard to find developers. That's the only problem we really have with this solution. It's hard to find people who can manage it.

In terms of stability, so far so good.

It's our first year of implementation and we haven't had any scalability issues yet.

We have used technical support. I would rate their support as average. They are not as fast as we want them to be. They help us with backend technical interfacing between other systems. We're taking data from other systems and pushing it in.

We didn’t have a previous solution. We have lots of employees and we're growing very fast. Selecting this solution was something that needed to happen.

I was not involved in setting it up. I was involved with the data integrations, which were very complex. They have a set of web services and connections to them. The libraries were not up-to-date and this contributed to the complexity.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a small implementation first and then work from there.

When looking for a vendor, the cost is the most important factor. The next factor is scalability. We want to be able to grow with the product.

it_user521628
Technical Leader at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It is flexible to scale the classroom sessions and has the ability to make real-time availability of all the sessions. It needs to offer more customizations.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility to scale the classroom sessions and its ability to make real-time availability of all the sessions are valuable features of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us in saving costs because the guys can see the availability of the classes as to what time it is scheduled or what time it is cancelled; thus there is availability of real-time information.

What needs improvement?

It has offered all the flexibility and customization that we were looking for in a product.

However, a couple of improvements can be carried out to offer more customization of the solution that is limited in the market. We do have a subscription from SuccessFactors that we review from time to time so if something comes up we'll certainly forward the feedback to them.

It's a stable product. We have not faced any real challenges so far.

We have not really scaled this product with the implementation that we have done. The customer base that we were looking for didn't really need to scale.

We have used technical support for probably one or two instances but for nothing major as such. They were quite efficient.

There was a phase in which the customer had to identify which product suits them the best. There were three to four products that were evaluated after which we finalized SuccessFactors as the final product.

There were a few consultants from SuccessFactors who came in and did the installation. They were helpful in setting up the product and doing the initial customization, after which we took over.

We looked at one or two other solutions. However, based on the customer's environment and applications, SuccessFactors was the most applicable solution.

The important factors while selecting a vendor are its flexibility to integrate with the application that is with the customer and the adapters that are available so that we don't need to do a lot of customization. These are the main aspects.

What other advice do I have?

SuccessFactors is a great product. It offers a lot of flexibility, customization, integration and disintegration points as well. These are the most preferred requirements in an optimized solution so you should take a look.

it_user519387
Managing Partner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Implementation is modular. It suits a step-by-step approach.

What is most valuable?

It covers the entire employee lifecycle with a simple-to-use UI. It is modular in terms of implementing it and fits into the roadmap of any organization that wants to take a step-by-step approach. Constant innovation, integration and reporting & analytical capability adds lot to the value proposition.

How has it helped my organization?

We have implemented this for our customers and the areas where they have realized the values are employee engagement and satisfaction, better ROI, better visibility and predictability, faster and accurate decision making and lower overall total cost of operation.

What needs improvement?

SAP needs to add more power to its built-in analytics capability as part of the product. Faster time to market for multiple clients’ requests would help with adaption and benefit realization.

I have used it for two years.

SAP SuccessFactors is a very, very stable product and has evolved over the years. An implementation partner plays a very critical role that impacts the overall success.

Being a cloud-based solution and regular enhancements every quarter, SAP has handled scalability beautifully. Apart from that, SAP engagement with AWS gives clients more flexibility and access to the latest, state-of-the-art technologies from both software and hardware perspective; it’s a big advantage for any client.

A dedicated support team has the right expertise and has been able to resolve most of the issues on time. No major escalation in this aspect has been experienced so far.

Our clients have been using multiple systems, which caused issues such as the time and cost for managing multiple systems, retaining in-house capabilities, issues with scalability & constant upgrades and many more.

Initial setup is very smooth; all processes are very well defined and documented.

Pricing and subscriptions are very competitive and at the same time give clients a lot of flexibility to make their own decisions based on their roadmap and the budget in hand.

Our clients evaluate multiple products from vendors such as Oracle and Workday.

What other advice do I have?

1. Have very clear objectives linked and aligned with your business goal.
  2. Have all stakeholders aligned and on-boarded.
  3. Make a roadmap and start small with clear scope and timelines.
  4. Evaluate an appropriate implementation partner.
  5. Follow the implementation methodology.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a SAP partner. We do sales and implementation services for our own clients, as well as for SAP clients.
SuccessFactors Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
How to Train a Global Workforce Without Breaking the Law
“How am I going to find a system to deploy to 12-20 countries around the world?” Each one has it’s own regulations and requirements for training…” “I work for a pharmaceutical company? Is there a Learning Management System (LMS) that meets the very requirements of the FDA?" -- The SuccessFactors LMS answers these common questions by providing features that support US, French, and German requirements. At this point you may also be asking: Does it completely meet the requirements? Does it do everything I ever hoped and dreamed it could do? Perhaps - I’ll leave that up to you and your legal department. Let’s go in to a little more detail about how the system supports regulations in the following industries and countries: FDA 21 CFR Part 11 (medical and…

Perhaps - I’ll leave that up to you and your legal department.

• FDA 21 CFR Part 11 (medical and pharmaceutical companies)
    • E-Signatures
    • Deletion of User Data
  • US Federal Government Agencies
    • EHRI
    • SF-182 External Requests
  • Manufacturing and other industries requiring worker qualifications
    • Curricula

US FDA 21 CFR Part 11

Intended to protect the public against manufacturing defects and anomalies in production of medical goods and pharmaceutical products, 21 CFR Part 11 includes regulations that govern the use of electronic signatures in food and drug related industries.

The SuccessFactors LMS implemented two major features to support the regulated medical industry:

1. Electronic Signatures

21 CFR Part 11 requires an additional password when recording learning events. When E-Signatures are activated in the SuccessFactors LMS, users must enter an additional password. This password is used only when recording learning. This comes into play in two situations:

• Learning is recorded manually - Admins and Supervisors record learning for others and are prompted for the secondary password before learning is recorded.
  • Users complete online training. Typically online learning is recorded automatically. When E-Signatures are active Users must enter the secondary password before learning is recorded.

2. Audit Trails

Companies are audited regularly to ensure compliance, and must produce reports demonstrating that e-signatures are properly recorded. The LMS maintains audit tables on important data including changes to learning history, user, items (courses) and curricula. If an Admin has modified a learning history record, a report will show this change. The following reports are available on audit tables:

• Curriculum Summary Data Audit Report
  • Item Summary Data Audit Report
  • User Custom Field Data Audit Report
  • User Summary Data Audit Report
  • User Learning Plan Audit Report

French Work Council

The French government as well as work councils in France impose certain training requirements on employers operating in France. Employees must be given the opportunity to complete a certain amount of training each year and the time spent in training must be accounted for. When training takes place outside of normal work hours employers may be required to compensate employees for that time. The French government requires 2483 Reporting, which details the dollars spent on training and the amount of training delivered to employees. A percentage of revenues is collected and applied towards training some of which helps train people who are out of work.

The LMS supports the following regulations applied to companies in France by the French national government and by work councils:

• DIF Tracking
  • 2483 Reporting
  • Training Planner to forecast training budgets

German Privacy Regulations

The German government requires employee data be deleted from all systems 5 years after the employee has left the company. A process called the “Purge Deleted User Audit History” automatic process deletes user data after X days. The number of days can be set to any numeric value. It is not required to be set to1826 days (5 years), so companies can be stricter than the German government requires. Companies outside of Germany can be less stringent as they are not required to comply with German regulations.

US Federal Government

Support for US government agencies is extensive, as the SuccessFactors LMS is the system of choice for most US federal agencies. Two features in particular were implemented to support the US Federal Government regulations. The requirements were specified originally by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and generalized for companies to use if they wish.

• External Requests - Originally called SF-182 forms, External Requests provide an alternate way to request and record training by filling out a form that specifies the costs and duration of training - and requires approval from supervisors and other parties before training begins. A verification process is included, which applies an approval process to the verification of training after it has been completed. Typically users in the federal government use this feature to obtain approval for the estimated cost of training and to document the actual costs of training.
  • EHRI - There is an entire set of functionality most people never see called EHRI. EHRI is a specific set of regulations requiring federal agencies report all training data to OPM. The original idea was to provide a single training record for all government employees so that when employees change agencies (very common), the training record remains intact. Two issues were discovered in the implementation:
    • Agencies utilize many different types of systems including major LMS vendors, Access databases, and Excel spreadsheets - integrating this data into one feed with common fields is quite the task and has taken several years (with continuation)
    • Training is not standardized across agencies; while similar training may be offered in multiple agencies and could be considered the same course for qualification purposes, they often have different names and IDs. In addition, it is not clear from basic data how similar these courses may be. The task of determining what training an employee needs based on his/her past records can be difficult until these courses are standardized.

Given all that, EHRI is supported. The LMS supports loading private data including Social Security Number and Date of Birth through a feed from the HRIS directly into the LMS. PII fields are never displayed to admins and users. It is imported through a system interface, stored in encrypted tables, and exported to a standard reported transmitted through SFTP to OPM.

Employee Qualification

One other area to consider is employee qualifications. These may be strict regulations imposed by a third party or they may be internal training requirements that determine employee eligibility to work. Employees not up to date on training may be prevented from doing their job until required training is complete.

The primary feature that supports employee qualifications is Curricula. Curricula were at one time (very early versions) called Qualifications, and some database fields and code still refer to qualifications. Don’t be surprised to find the phrase QUAL when you dig deep into the underlying properties files of the system.

Employee qualifications follow a general pattern:

• Read a document and verify that the user "read and understood” - at one time this was accomplished with a handwritten signature. Today it is accomplished by pushing a button in the LMS next to the statement “read and understood”
  • Complete training - this training may be Instructor-Led, Online, or both
  • Demonstrate performance on the job - On the Job is a combination of training and demonstration. In some cases it is a hands-on mentoring process, in others it is similar to an evaluation. The application even supports checking off completion of tasks on the job through the “Tasks” feature. Fun side note - this feature works on iPads, so you can walk around the shop floor checking off tasks as they are completed.
  • Manually Record Authorization (optional) - some companies have an admin or supervisor manually record authorization and may enable these people to rescind that authorization at a later date if the employee demonstrates poor performance.

Final Thoughts…

As you can see the SuccessFactors LMS has extensive support for a wide range of both government and industry regulations across the globe. Companies operating in multiple countries should consider regulations when choosing an LMS, and ensure that whatever the choice the system does in fact support the applicable regulations. You wouldn’t want to find yourself in the middle of legal issues and fees now would you?!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a SAP and SuccessFactors partner.