SAS Enterprise Guide OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAS Enterprise Guide is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Data Preparation Tools. It is most often compared to Alteryx: SAS Enterprise Guide vs Alteryx

What is SAS Enterprise Guide?

SAS Enterprise Guide is a point-and-click, menu- and wizard-driven tool that empowers users to analyze data and publish results. It provides fast-track learning for quick data analysis, generates code for productivity and speeds your ability to deploy analyses and forecasts in real time.

SAS Enterprise Guide Buyer's Guide

Download the SAS Enterprise Guide Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

SAS Enterprise Guide Customers

Canary Islands Statistics Institute

SAS Enterprise Guide Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAS Enterprise Guide pricing:
  • "In general, SAS has high prices, which is a reason why some clients don't use SAS solutions. The licensing is on a yearly basis."
  • "It is very expensive. We have a basic license, and there are many features that are not available with the basic version."
  • "Management liked it a lot because the license per seat was cheaper than a traditional SAS environment."

SN
Virtualization Manager at NMC Health
Very good for analysis but visualization is somewhat lacking

What is our primary use case?

We use Tableau for visualization and SAS EG for analysis. SAS EG is more useful for analysis, while Tableau is better for visualization.

• "In Daman, I had used the data module, where you can join the table and take whatever data we require for our work. You join tables and create columns as you wish, then analyze data in various ways depending on what the problem is. We used it to detect fraud, abnormalities, anomalies, abnormal trends, etc. It's also good for exporting and importing tables."
  • "Now that I have experience with Tableau, I think the visualization part of SAS EG could be more user friendly and easier to use. Tableau is very easy to use. It's just does a lot of work by itself, including color schemes. I think that could be incorporated easily into SAS EG, which would make it a much better product. Then you would not need Tableau."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it quite high, but because I don't have experience with other similar solutions, I cannot say how good this is. I have nothing to compare it to, as my experience is limited to SAS EG and Tableau. For my purposes, it has been great, but I don't know how well it can find patterns by itself with machine learning. I read in the newspapers and the internet that so much more is doable. The preliminary analysis could be done with a machine. Right now we have average, mean, median, but machine learning could provide much more. From that, instead of looking at thousands of lines, one could…
AM
Head Of Analytics at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy-to-use with a drag-and-drop querying feature, this fine tool still lags in visualization and machine learning

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for data analysis and investigations.

• "The product has a drag-and-drop feature that is excellent for business users and that makes it easy-to-use."
  • "The product is missing a visualization component so we have to use a separate tool for visualization."
  • "Machine learning is not utilized and that could enhance the product."

What other advice do I have?

When looking at different tools on the market for data analysis what you need depends on what you want to do. If you have a portfolio within your organization, you may feel that you will need a lot of other tools in addition to make a proper analysis. SAS is a broader solution. It is not just the Enterprise Guide. It has marketing automation and there is even stream processing. Then there is Enterprise Miner. Enterprise Guide is a suite and not just a one-dimensional tool. If you feel that you are ready to make an investment and you need the capability of advanced analytics within your…
Learn what your peers think about SAS Enterprise Guide. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,768 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Monica Besleaga
SAS Application Architect at a computer software company
Easy to extend, stable, has a lot of functionalities, and doesn't require coding skills

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using this solution for testing purposes. I am working for a pharmaceutical company in Belgium, and we are building a data warehouse by using SAS Data Integration Studio, and we are using SAS Enterprise Guide to test our development. We are building Enterprise Guide projects by using query builder, filters, and other things. We have also built stored procedures. Sometimes, we also write SAS base code to perform unit tests after development and to do some sanity checks to respond to UAT questions. Overall, we are using the majority of functionalities of SAS Enterprise Guide.

• "Filter and sort query builder is valuable. The ability to do advanced SAS programming is also a useful feature because we can do anything by using Enterprise Guide. It has a lot of functionalities. We can build ETL processes. There are clients who are using SAS Enterprise Guide to build ETL processes. They have a SAS-based program that is scheduled to run at a certain frequency to produce some reports for the business. It is a very useful tool for ETL unit tests and functional tests. You can also do data science projects in SAS Enterprise Guide by using different statistics. During my MBA, we used SAS Enterprise Guide for our statistic course. To query the data, there are many solutions such as SQL, but these tools are only a part of the integration. They are only useful for querying the data and require knowledge of SQL, so they are not suitable for business users. SAS Enterprise Guide can be very easily used by business users to filter and sort the data and build queries. It is not necessary to have coding skills to use SAS Enterprise Guide. For this reason, it is attractive for businesses."
  • "Our data warehouse is built on the Netezza database. We have SAS BI, and we populate the Netezza database. When we have tables with, for example, a hundred million rows in Netezza, SAS Enterprise Guide doesn't work. It doesn't return any results. It works for around 30 to 40 million rows, but it is not working for anything more than that. This issue is only with the Netezza database. With Oracle, it is quite good. They can improve its performance with the Netezza database. There should be one unique tool that includes SAS Data Integration Studio and SAS Enterprise Guide for more integration capabilities. With SAS Enterprise Guide, it is not possible to create connections and libraries and build transformations that can be used for other projects. This tool should have all capabilities that SAS Enterprise Guide does not have. Such a tool would be perfect because it will be used by developers and business users at the same time. In addition to the integration capabilities, they should also provide more deployment capabilities. There should be an option to easily create SAS packages and export them from one environment to another. There could also be a possibility to connect with R and Python. Open-source tools are hot in the market nowadays, and it would be good to extend its capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a very good tool for outputs from different domains, such as ETL reporting, data science, etc. It would be good to bring more functionalities similar to Data Integration Studio so that we have one single tool. I would rate SAS Enterprise Guide an eight out of ten.
LT
Finance System & Process Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Saved us in manpower; no longer necessary to have a dedicated data team

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to analyze the sales data of our company. We have an in-house database that has all data relating to our agents and our production. I use it when I want to have a quick check on the data. I'm the finance system and process senior manager in the company.

• "The Query Builder is very valuable."
  • "For some of the advanced functions, you need to learn some SAS code to get what you want."

What other advice do I have?

Anyone implementing this solution should check the online manual where they have very good information on how best to use the product. Whenever you have a problem that needs to use a data solution, you can just do a quick Google, and add in the link to that website, and it can show you a lot of solutions. There are also free education manuals and training courses from SAS itself. It's worth taking a look at the SAS programming essential one, and get used to this product. Always save your data! I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
Karima TOUATI
Actuarial Analyst at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Reliable, powerful for working with large data sets, and saves time

What is our primary use case?

I use it for programming. When we import data sets or databases, we work with data management and program scripts, etc. We have its basic license.

• "We are able to work on the server, and I can copy a data set and share it with someone in my team. Similarly, if I want some data from them, I can get it. Being able to work on the server and being able to switch from one user to another is a good thing. It is reliable and powerful, and its community is very wide."
  • "They should provide more information for the errors or logs. Currently, it gives you just the error message without explaining anything."

What other advice do I have?

You must have a basic background in programming, such as SQL programming, to use it easily. I would rate SAS Enterprise Guide an eight out of ten.
Gerald Zuckier
Cenior Healthcare Economic Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Exporting a data set in Unix to an Excel spreadsheet on a PC is a simple task. Not enough real estate to display the flow chart and dependencies without a lot of scrolling.

What is our primary use case?

Mostly accessing medical claims data from mainframe warehouses, plus occasional spreadsheets, etc. Aggregating and scoring according to specified algorithms and identifying medical practitioners who are statistical outliers with respect to certain procedures. Loading results of these analyses into Microsoft SQL Server and writing queries for access by users without SAS licenses. Running SAS EG on a networked Windows PC, connected to a SAS Grid on a Unix network, accessing data warehouses in Teradata.

• "Areas where SAS EG does a better job than regular SAS are in the realm of importing and exporting data. For instance, exporting a SAS data set in Unix to an Excel spreadsheet on a PC is a simple task compared to doing the same task with Base SAS."
  • "I had difficulty with the diagrammatic flow chart style representation of projects. When projects got too large and complex (which was basically every project, except the most trivial). There just wasn't enough real estate to display the flow chart and dependencies without a lot of scrolling, even when a flow was down to minimum tasks. My recourse was making the flow less "atomic". E.g., rather than use the various subset, etc., tasks as program nodes to display the details, I would write chunks of code that did a few things and use them as SAS program nodes."
C Dove
Data Architect at levvel
Statistical functionality for non-technical users, but needs integration with scheduling tools

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for moving users that need statistical data analysis and data transformation functionality that do NOT have a background in programming and/or SQL to a tool that allows for some degree of self-service. It also provides access to data sources (databases that require administrative access) that do not support individual user access.

• "Statistical functionality and basic database interaction can become very straightforward for business users that don't have a background in SQL and data analysis."
  • "I would like to see integration with schedulers when run from hosting environments such as Citrix."
Francisco Aparicio
Advisor at KPMG
Useful resources for the query builder, user friendly, and plenty of features

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for programming, data manipulation, and query building.

• "The solution is user-friendly, the resource for the query builder is very useful, and the ability to explore the data is a benefit."
  • "There needs to be a community of SAS Enterprise Guide users for assistance. For example, as they do for Python or SQL."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. However, it depends on the use case that they want to use it for. I am not sure of the price of the solution which could play a big role in if it is useful enough to purchase at the price. It is a solid solution in my experience. I rate SAS Enterprise Guide an eight out of ten.