SAS Enterprise Miner OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAS Enterprise Miner is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Data Mining tools. It is most often compared to IBM SPSS Modeler: SAS Enterprise Miner vs IBM SPSS Modeler

What is SAS Enterprise Miner?
SAS Enterprise Miner is a solution to create accurate predictive and descriptive models on large volumes of data across different sources in the organization. SAS Enterprise Miner offers many features and functionalities for the business analysts to model their data. Some of the business applications are for detecting fraud, minimizing risk, resource demands, reducing asset downtime, campaigns and reduce customer attrition.

SAS Enterprise Miner is also known as Enterprise Miner.

Download the Data Mining Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

SAS Enterprise Miner Customers
Generali Hellas, Gitanjali Group, Gloucestershire Constabulary, GS Home Shopping, HealthPartners, IAG New Zealand, iJET, Invacare
SAS Enterprise Miner Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAS Enterprise Miner pricing:
  • "The solution is expensive for an individual, but for an enterprise/institution (purchasing bulk licenses), it is not a high price for the use that will come from it."
  • "This solution is for large corporations because not everybody can afford it."

PS
Professor at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good GUI, an easy initial setup, and very flexible

What is our primary use case?

I'm working on a research project and we're trying to create clusters of homogeneous residents with respect to their ability or their risk of generating pressure ulcers.

• "The solution is able to handle quite large amounts of data beautifully."
  • "While I don't personally need tutorials, I can't say that it wouldn't be helpful for others to have some to help them navigate and operate the system."

What other advice do I have?

I use the latest version of the solution. For me, SAS Enterprise Miner is not a standalone product. It's an effective tool, however, for data mining, especially for large amounts of data. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Shilpa Prakash
Analytics Lead at Pegasus
Good stability, very good data analysis tool pack and excellent documentation

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used in any domain, including banking, insurance, health care, partitions, classifications, etc. It's basically a complete solution, that helps with data client consolidation.

• "Most of the features, especially on the data analysis tool pack, are really good. The way they do clustering and output is great. You can do fairly elaborate outputs. The results, the ensembles, all of these, are fantastic."
  • "Virtualization could be much better."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a SAS Enterprise Miner certified professional. I'm both a consultant and a user of the solution. Our company is using the on-premises deployment model, although we mostly use in-house products. I use the desktop version for our clients. We might use the Cloud, depending on what the client is comfortable with. Most of our clients are enterprises. I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to look at the costs and licensing to see if it is within your organization's budget. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about SAS, IBM, Knime and others in Data Mining. Updated: August 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MB
Head of Model Development at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good for modeling and data mining but needs to show development history

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for modeling and a lot of business processes with lots of data.

• "The solution is very good for data mining or any mining issues."
  • "The solution is very stable, but we do have some problems with discrepancies involving SAS not matching with the latest Java versions. It's not stable in cases where SAS tries to run on a different version because SAS doesn't connect with the latest Java update. Once a month we need to restart systems from scratch."

What other advice do I have?

We were using the on-premises deployment model, however recently we switched solutions and now we are using FICO instead of SAS. I'd recommend an open-source product over SAS, as I believe them to be the future. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
SK
Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good technical support but too complex and not open-source

What is our primary use case?

We primarily just use the analytical tool section of the solution.

• "The technical support is very good."
  • "The solution is much more complex than other options."

What other advice do I have?

We're using Enterprise Guide simultaneously with Enterprise Miner. From my perspective, I believe that open-source analytics tools are closer to fitting our needs. We prefer open-source options like Anaconda. They offer good support and features. Anaconda also integrates well with Jupyter NET, which is important for us. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a five. If there were better protocols and wasn't as complex as it is, I'd rate it a bit higher.
AtherKhan
Head Of Risk Management at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
A comprehensive data analytics tool with several valuable features, satisfactory technical support, and a stable build

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution was to perform fraud modeling techniques for a financial institution.

• "I found the ease of use of the solution the most valuable. Additionally, other valuable features include: the user interface, power to extract data, compatibility with other technologies (specifically with PS400), and automation of several tasks."
  • "The initial setup is challenging if doing it for the first time."

What other advice do I have?

Individuals using this solution should be familiar with analytical techniques before they start with Enterprise Miner. Additionally, they should know the difference between SAS and SQL and understand why are they are using one or the other. SAS is not a software development tool. Most people think that they will create applications using SAS, which is not true. It is an analytical tool and helps automate some of your tasks.
HV
Executive Head of Collections at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Excellent integration; data management and analytics are key features.

What is our primary use case?

I'm a user of this solution and our use case is mostly for data management and analytics. The solution is on a server with access through to client applications. We have about 20 people who are direct users of this product. I'm the head of data engineering and we're customers of SAS Miner.

• "Good data management and analytics."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product but there are open source products like Python that can do the same thing for free. Solutions like Jupiter Notebooks and Anaconda are also available. I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
CG
Director at EBI
Scalable, with good functional, but the languarge integration is not good

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data mining and machine learning.

• "he solution is scalable."
  • "The solution needs an easier interface for the user. The user experience isn't so easy for our clients."

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. Our clients want to use more popular and more open-source tools, so SAS isn't so popular in our region. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate the solution higher if it was easier to use. Right now, it requires too much effort to explain the tool to clients.
HarisSulehria
Business Intelligence Developer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Compare performance of multiple models built using different algorithms

What is our primary use case?

The primary use was for predictive analytics and to create a forecasting model. I was also using it for reporting.

• "The most valuable feature is that you can use multiple algorithms for creating models and then you can compare the results between them."
  • "The visualization of the models is not very attractive, so the graphics should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We did not deploy this solution for our customer. Rather, we used Enterprise Miner to create a solution that was operationalized for production. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 2 more SAS Enterprise Miner Reviews