SAS Enterprise Miner OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAS Enterprise Miner is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Data Mining tools. It is most often compared to IBM SPSS Modeler: SAS Enterprise Miner vs IBM SPSS Modeler

What is SAS Enterprise Miner?
SAS Enterprise Miner is a solution to create accurate predictive and descriptive models on large volumes of data across different sources in the organization. SAS Enterprise Miner offers many features and functionalities for the business analysts to model their data. Some of the business applications are for detecting fraud, minimizing risk, resource demands, reducing asset downtime, campaigns and reduce customer attrition.

SAS Enterprise Miner is also known as Enterprise Miner.

Download the Data Mining Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

SAS Enterprise Miner Customers
Generali Hellas, Gitanjali Group, Gloucestershire Constabulary, GS Home Shopping, HealthPartners, IAG New Zealand, iJET, Invacare
SAS Enterprise Miner Video

Archived SAS Enterprise Miner Reviews (more than two years old)

V Shekhar Avasthy
Chief Data Scientist & Principal Consultant, StatLabs® at Facts n Data™ at a consultancy
Enables Statistical Modeling Of Data Using Base SAS Although Limited GUI is a drawback

What is most valuable?

It enables statistical modeling of data using Base SAS (another product from the same vendor) as the backbone. One can create visual models to see the steps involved in modelling of data.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Base SAS, one can do statistical analysis of data. However, Base SAS is completely code driven (doesn't have any GUI). This is a big limitation as statisticians, often, are not so good at programming. SAS Enterprise Miner extends GUI capability and visual appeal to Base SAS, to a good extent.

What needs improvement?

The product is still not as intuitive as one would like it to be. For example, a competing product, IBM SPSS Modeler is nearly completely GUI driven, while SAS Enterprise Miner lacks some features. Plus it is prohibitively expensive and is not available with perpetual licensing.

Over seven years.

Not many.

It gets painfully slow with raw data in excess of 50GB and one has to go for multi-socket server based licensing that gets prohibitively expensive.

Email based support has a turnaround time of about 24 hours which is not good.

We use multiple solutions simultaneously.

Initial setup was OK. Not too complex, not too simple.

It has an annual licensing policy with an annual renewal of almost 35%. The initial cost (and therefore renewals) are extremely expensive. One can possibly invest that much in hardware and possibly go in for products like R that are very cheap in terms of total cost of ownership.

For clarity, R is an open source tool but with the limitation that it's an in-memory tool. When dealing with large datasets, RAM becomes an issue. R is much more flexible. So, rather that investing in a SAS license, we prefer to invest in high RAM hardware (256/512GB RAM) and use R.

Another issue with R is that native version is a single core product. Even if you have a multi-core CPU, it uses a single core. However, Microsoft R, a free version from Microsoft, does away with that limitation. There is also a multi-core (paid) version of R available through Microsoft which does away with in-memory limitation and works out to be much cheaper than SAS Enterprise Miner.

IBM SPSS Modeler, RapidMiner, R.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure of your needs. In most scenarios, the pricing of SAS Enterprise Miner is not justified by the value it adds.

it_user78834
Director of Information Manager Unit at BCI with 501-1,000 employees
It helps us obtain better campaign results, though the graphic capabilities could be improved.

Valuable Features:

Quantity models for data mining Performance is excellent

Improvements to My Organization:

Helps one of the banks where I've worked (CGD at Portugal) to have more knowledge of their clients Helps us obtain better campaign results (credit cards, etc).

Room for Improvement:

Price of the product Graphing functionalities

Valuable Features:

• Quantity models for data mining
  • Performance is excellent

Improvements to My Organization:

• Helps one of the banks where I've worked (CGD at Portugal) to have more knowledge of their clients
  • Helps us obtain better campaign results (credit cards, etc).

Room for Improvement:

• Price of the product
  • Graphing functionalities