Sauce Labs OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sauce Labs is #7 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools and top Test Automation Tools. IT Central Station users give Sauce Labs an average rating of 8 out of 10. Sauce Labs is most commonly compared to BrowserStack: Sauce Labs vs BrowserStack.Sauce Labs is popular among Midsize Enterprise, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 34% of all views.
What is Sauce Labs?

Sauce Labs provides the world's largest secure and highly scalable automation cloud for testing desktop, mobile web, native, and hybrid applications. Sauce Labs helps companies accelerate software development cycles, improve application quality, and deploy with confidence across 450+ browser/OS/device/platform combinations.

Sauce Labs Buyer's Guide

Download the Sauce Labs Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Sauce Labs Customers

Salesforce.com, Mozilla, Zendesk, Puppet Labs, Twitter, Bank of America, Eventbrite, Bleacher Report, Okta, Intuit, Travelocity, Sharecare, CapitalOne.

Sauce Labs Video

Archived Sauce Labs Reviews (more than two years old)

AA
User at Infosys Technologies Ltd
It allowed us to scale mobile testing across the globe

What is our primary use case?

Mobile application testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Yes, it allowed us to scale mobile testing across the globe.

What is most valuable?

Cloud availability.

What needs improvement?

More physical devices.

What is our primary use case?

Mobile application testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Yes, it allowed us to scale mobile testing across the globe.

What is most valuable?

Cloud availability.

What needs improvement?

More physical devices.

abhayr
Senior Quality Engineer at Quest Software
Sauce Connect gave us ability to test an application that was hosted locally

What is our primary use case?

Validates our cloud application on multiple browsers. The application is based on Node and is hosted and deployed on the cloud. The application is supported on all major browsers.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs provided the capability to test our application on multiple browsers. It allows us to not have to worry about setup and cleanup every time we want to run the tests.

What is most valuable?

Sauce Connect gave us ability to test an application that was hosted locally. Playback recording of the entire test suite also helped us while debugging failures.

What needs improvement?

Ability to configure the memory and CPU for the test machines  Ability to install profiles on iOS real mobile devices

For how long have I used the

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

1. Ability to configure the memory and CPU for the test machines
  2. Ability to install profiles on iOS real mobile devices

Less than one year.
Learn what your peers think about Sauce Labs. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Akash Dhanagundi
Front-End Web Developer at lbrands

• "APPIUM for mobile testing has improved our organization by allowing us to test our website on more devices and browsers than we currently possess."
  • "Progress towards reducing application testing time can be made."

What is our primary use case?

It is a good web and mobile application automated testing platform. I am able to eliminate having to find a human with a specific device or browser and have them test.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to implement and is time saver. Initially, there were some stability issues with IE9 combos but have since been resolved. They have excellent customer service.

What is most valuable?

Appium for mobile testing has improved our organization by allowing us to test our website on more devices and browsers than we currently possess.

What needs improvement?

Progress towards reducing application testing time can be made. There should be better and programmatic controls on request/response recordings and sharing with developers similar to new testing frameworks on the market.

Trial/evaluations only.

Executive Chef at El Comienzo
They offer a large number of devices and browser/Operating system combinations for real device tests

• "They offer a large number of devices and browser/operating system combinations for real device tests"
  • "Lacks the ability to start multiple tests simultaneously."

What is our primary use case?

Sauce Labs was very easy to use for basic needs, but using Sauce Connect was very confusing. I am a technical person, but the documentation needs to be a little more easy to understand for non-programmers. The documentation on this site is more oriented towards the software engineer than to the QA engineer.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization has improved by testing our website on more devices and browsers than we currently have. We were able to test on the newest browsers without installing them on our computers, and test the newest operating systems without updating our mobile devices.

What is most valuable?

They offer a large number of devices and browser/operating system combinations for real device tests. I can eliminate having to find a person with the necessary device or browser who will perform the tests quickly on my desk. It also allows me to use the Selenium script test which eliminates more human error.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice for it to ask for the URL along with browser/operating system I want to try, but not for it to simply ask for a combination. I want to be able to start ten at the same time. I would also like to put a username and password before the test launch instead of entering ten tabs and having to put the same information over and over again.

Julio Gomez Ramirez
Gerente de oficina at MRW Logística Avanzada
There is a huge amount of open source, community provided resources

• "There is a huge amount of open source, community provided resources."
  • "Integration with Github, as well as several other similar tools, could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We capture bugs before they make it to production. Once the setup is done, the automation tester focuses on automation testing. Without worrying about infrastructure, we let our testers shine, and ultimately, be more effective.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs has been very important to our project. We have used Sauce Labs to run our builds for both mobile and desktop web applications, as well as for nightly regression builds. The only reason we have stopped using Sauce Labs is due to project budget and the removal of an automated QA resource. Still, we have hooked up a pretty spiffy Jenkins and Sauce Labs in conjunction with several third party web-metric systems (such as YSlow) to capture a nightly set of performance data.

What is most valuable?

Sauce Labs has one of the best infrastructures available for browser automation, and it keeps getting better. You have a huge amount of open source, community provided resources, which allow you to do almost anything right away.

What needs improvement?

Integration with Github, as well as several other similar tools, could be improved. However, Sauce Labs appears to be on that track. With all of the innovations that they have made over the past year and a half, I am looking forward to the changes they have planned for the future.

j4v1
Testing Advocate & Technical Leader at Mercado Libre
User

• "With only a few clicks, it gives us the availability to use any browser and OS combination whenever we want."
  • "An image comparison would be a nice feature to include in the Sauce Labs product."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for cross browsing testing of the largest eCommerce site in Latin America.

How has it helped my organization?

Sauce Labs gives us the availability to use any browser and OS combination whenever we want, with only a few clicks. This is very useful for our IT department. It is also used by our customer experience and marketing departments to reproduce some issues detected by our customers.

What is most valuable?

• Real devices (Test Object): It is very important to test everything on real devices, not only in simulators.
  • Analytics: It is important to know what, when, and where tests are falling, then improve them and the application.

Three to five years.
it_user783597
Software Engineer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
User

What is our primary use case?

Testing a browser-based application. We have a hotel booking site which is used across a wide variety of platforms. Starting out, we are mainly used for manual checks. However, we are in the process of getting automation.

How has it helped my organization?

Testing across multiple devices and environments is now possible to do quickly and effectively.

What is most valuable?

Being able to test on real devices is a big deal.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes pasting text while using "text object" does not seem to work, and it slows down testing times quite a bit.

Still implementing.

Previously, we only had four test devices, and it usually took…

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Being able to test on real devices is a big deal.

Still implementing.

Previously, we only had four test devices, and it usually took awhile to even track them down. We often were not able to duplicate reported issues with the tools we had.

it_user770031
Software Development Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
User
Provides zero maintenance browser instances

What is our primary use case?

It provides zero maintenance browser instances.

How has it helped my organization?

We have better validations.

What is most valuable?

It has a wide assortment of platforms.

What needs improvement?

It should provide more examples of script code.

More than five years.

We experience very infrequent issues with stability.

No scalability issues.

I would rate support as an eight out of 10.

We implemented it in-house.

Our ROI is good.

What is our primary use case?

It provides zero maintenance browser instances.

How has it helped my organization?

We have better validations.

What is most valuable?

It has a wide assortment of platforms.

What needs improvement?

It should provide more examples of script code.

More than five years.

We experience very infrequent issues with stability.

No scalability issues.

I would rate support as an eight out of 10.

We implemented it in-house.

Test Lead at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It is easy with the CI integration to have tests going in after a few hours

• "Maintaining many environments for test is a bear. These guys make it so easy with their CI integration that you can have tests going in after a few hours."
  • "There have been various times throughout the last month or so where the service has gone down during business hours."

What is our primary use case?

Using Jenkins to call Selenium tests running from Serenity BDD with Gradle. It is very easy to get tests going in this manner.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes my life much easier.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There have been various times throughout the last month or so where the service has gone down during business hours. This has impacted a release or two, so it is definitely less than ideal. Increasing uptime would be a good focus.

Over the last month or so, there have been times the service was unavailable at less than ideal times.

Now that we have an enterprise license, we no longer have to worry about minutes each month!

MTS at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Helped to integrate our performance testing and UAT

• "It helped to integrate our performance testing and UAT, which helped to deliver a bug free software for our customers."
  • "Easy to integrate with the other platform for tracking purposes."
  • "Testing subscription videos for on-demand software, making them better quality and bug free for our customers."
  • "Sauce Labs needs to be improved in the different platforms for farm testing, like iOS and Android farm testing and farm testing web browsers.​"

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Cloud testing
  • Performance testing
  • Continuous integration testing
  • Easy to integrate with the other platform for tracking purposes.

What needs improvement?

Sauce Labs needs to be improved in the different platforms for farm testing, like iOS and Android farm testing and farm testing web browsers.

Less than one year.

No issues.

I have not contacted customer service or technical support so far.

Sauce Labs is the first service that I am using.

It was built by my team before I joined the company.

In-house.

Compared with other services, Sauce Labs is a bit expensive.

We evaluated different services, e.g., LambdaTest.

What other advice do I have?

I am now an expert in Sauce Labs and can build more test scripts.

Brook Beam
Lead Software Test Automation Engineer at a tech vendor
Offers the single best solution for integrating deep automated browser testing in a CI/CD pipeline

• "It offers the single best solution for integrating deep automated browser testing in a CI/CD pipeline."
  • "The custom capabilities that can be provided to Sauce Labs VMs during automated testing sessions are a valuable option for experimental or niche testing."
  • "The Jenkins Sauce OnDemand plugin could have more options available to tap into more of the custom capabilities Sauce Labs actually supports."
  • "We have had some issues with the Sauce Connect Proxy on our Jenkins servers failing to start, which makes the optimal CI/CD pipeline come to a halt."
  • "User account management needs an overhauls, allowing for user groups rather than just a hierarchy structure."

What is our primary use case?

As we began architecting a CI/CD pipeline in our SDLC, a need quickly arose for left-shifted, continuous testing of our web applications in real browsers. Specifically, a service that could integrate seamlessly with our Jenkins CI servers and executing tests continuously against our Dockerized applications and firewalled environments. Furthermore, our company does not have the resources to implement and maintain a proprietary Selenium Grid for test distribution. Sauce Labs addresses all of these concerns, and furthermore offers a platform for manually debugging applications in any combination of platforms, browsers, and devices needed, either from an automated test script or from a manual test session. The largest selling point for our needs is its relatively seamless integration with our Jenkins CI servers, including detailed playback and test reports per build job, as well as easy configuration of the proxy tunnel used to access our firewalled environments and desired browsers-under-test, right from the Jenkins UI via their Sauce OnDemand Jenkins Plugin.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to moving to a continuous delivery model, we were on a classic two week regression testing cycle, mostly conducted via manual testing and manually-executed automated tests scripts in a large integrated testing environment. Upon shifting our SDLC to be more continuous, and rearchitecting our delivery pipeline, we were able to very quickly shift that long testing cycle to be integrated into the delivery pipeline itself by left-shifting these deep functional/regression tests to be executed during build time on our CI servers, and the implementation of these automated tests scripts being integrated into the development effort itself. Sauce Labs allowed all of this to happen by supplying the service needed to execute automated browser tests in from a CI server without having to implement or maintain our own proprietary grid of virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

Of all the services explored, Sauce Labs offers the single best solution for integrating deep automated browser testing in a CI/CD pipeline, and integrates best with Jenkins. The Jenkins UI plugin offers a way to easily configure browser settings for tests being executed continuously. The Sauce Connect Proxy is a necessary technology for companies who have firewalled testing environments, as well as localhost testing. Test reports (that also integrate seamlessly with Jenkins jobs) are also detailed and incredibly useful. Browser support is quick to be updated as new versions of browsers are released. The custom capabilities that can be provided to Sauce Labs VMs during automated testing sessions are a valuable option for experimental or niche testing.

What needs improvement?

The Jenkins Sauce OnDemand plugin could have more options available to tap into more of the custom capabilities Sauce Labs actually supports. Currently, in order to tap into these capabilities, a programmatic solution is required from the test code rather than being able to configure them via the Jenkins Plugin UI, e.g., desktop resolution, browser automation binary versions, remote Selenium version, and browser console logs. These are all things it would be nice to be able to customize straight from the Jenkins Plugin UI.

In our experience, we have also had some issues with the Sauce Connect Proxy on our Jenkins servers failing to start, which makes the optimal CI/CD pipeline come to a halt.

User account management needs an overhauls, allowing for user groups rather than just a hierarchy structure. Test job queuing is a first-come-first-serve, meaning there is no inbuilt way to queue batches of jobs from different Jenkins servers/accounts.

Occasionally there are issues with the stability of the Sauce Connect Proxy during Jenkins builds, which can cause builds to fail seemingly inexplicably, since determining the root cause is oftentimes difficult.

The only issue is cost. Each new unit of concurrency you add to your enterprise license represents a relatively linear increase in cost.

When you reach the Enterprise licensing tier, base level being with 10 concurrent test sessions, pricing is essentially per-unit-of-concurrency thereafter with a relatively linear increase and not much benefit for "bulk".

BrowserStack was also explored, but did not integrate with out intended CI/CD model as extensively or seamlessly as Sauce Labs was able to.

Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
High confidence in our automated testing, along with auditability

What is our primary use case?

Real time VM access for functional testing and manual usage.

What is most valuable?

Sauce Connect VM access

How has it helped my organization?

Reliable access to VMs with built-in recording and log tools have improved release reliability and confidence.

What needs improvement?

Implementing user requests at a faster rate.

Two years.

No major issues. Just adapting to meet our needs and existing infrastructure.

No problems other than the occasional service disruption.

Scaling options are available for purchase, but scaling by…

What is our primary use case?

Real time VM access for functional testing and manual usage.

What is most valuable?

• Sauce Connect
  • VM access

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Implementing user requests at a faster rate.

Two years.

No major issues. Just adapting to meet our needs and existing infrastructure.

No problems other than the occasional service disruption.

Scaling options are available for purchase, but scaling by improving and streamlining our processes has been the best approach.

Excellent, responsive, and goes above and beyond.

Unknown, as I was not part of the initial work to perform the setup.

The implementation was done in-house.

High confidence in our automated testing, along with auditability.

Select a plan that offers scaling, but investigate the ability to improve existing processes.

Yes, Stackdriver.

Quality Assurance at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
The setup was very easy and straightforward

What is most valuable?

Running the automation test in the cloud with different sets of devices for both iOS and Android mobile apps.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation running is very easy and fast now with the help of Sauce Labs.

What needs improvement?

Some of the new features could be improved, for example, the playback on simulators.

Two years.

Customer Service: Their customer service is good. Technical Support: Their technical support is great.

Which solution did I use previously

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Automation running is very easy and fast now with the help of Sauce Labs.

Two years.

Their customer service is good.

Their technical support is great.

Good.

The setup was very easy and straightforward. The cost is also affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I like using Sauce Labs.

Team Lead at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Its emulators and simulators are very helpful during automation testing

What is most valuable?

Cross multiple browser testing Emulators and simulators are very helpful during automation testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation test runs are faster now with Sauce Labs.

What needs improvement?

The connectivity needs improvement.

No issues.

Customer Service: Their customer service is good. Technical Support: Their technical support is good.

What is most valuable?

• Cross multiple browser testing
  • Emulators and simulators are very helpful during automation testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation test runs are faster now with Sauce Labs.

What needs improvement?

The connectivity needs improvement.

No issues.

Their customer service is good.

Their technical support is good.

The price is affordable.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool to use.

Software Tester at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Their technical support and customer service are excellent

What is most valuable?

Parallel run Real device testing

How has it helped my organization?

Fast automation.

What needs improvement?

Playback needs improvement.

For two years.

No issues.

Customer Service: Their customer service is excellent. Technical Support: Their technical support is excellent.

The implementation…

What is most valuable?

• Parallel run
  • Real device testing

How has it helped my organization?

Fast automation.

What needs improvement?

Playback needs improvement.

For two years.

No issues.

Their customer service is excellent.

Their technical support is excellent.

QA Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Manual testing is much easier with it

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is the cloud running the automation test with the help of a number of devices. I like that we can use both Android and iOS devices for testing.

Manual testing is also so much easier with Sauce Labs. Running cross browser testing is the most useful functionality for me.

How has it helped my organization?

With Sauce Labs testing, manual plus automation is very easy. It reduces running test times.

What needs improvement?

Connectivity needs to increase.

It was straightforward.

Good.

It is a good purchase. The cost is also good.

What other advice do I have?

Use it, and enjoy testing with Sauce Labs.

Team Lead at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our ROI is good, and now we have faster testing with a better quality of testing

What is most valuable?

All its features are very good. I like the following the most: CI integration Cross browser testing Multiple test runs at one time Language support

How has it helped my organization?

We now have faster and more furious testing with a better quality of testing.

What needs improvement?

Speed and connectivity need improvement.

I have used this solution for two years.

No issues.

Yes, it disconnects sometimes while the automation is running.

No issues.

Customer Service: Good. Technical…

What is most valuable?

All its features are very good. I like the following the most:

• CI integration
  • Cross browser testing
  • Multiple test runs at one time
  • Language support

How has it helped my organization?

We now have faster and more furious testing with a better quality of testing.

What needs improvement?

Speed and connectivity need improvement.

I have used this solution for two years.

No issues.

Yes, it disconnects sometimes while the automation is running.

Good.

No. I did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It was implemented in-house.

Our ROI is good.

The pricing is okay. It is worth purchasing.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool with variety of functionality.

Quality Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is very useful, especially in my manual and automation testing

What is most valuable?

Cross platform testing with multiple browsers with iOS, Android, and web. Sauce labs is suitable for both native and hybrid apps.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Sauce Labs testing, it is faster and more accurate. I can run multiple tests on multiple browsers with a different set of devices.

What needs improvement?

Some functionality needs improvement: Playback is not supported for apps. Speed needs some attention.

Two years.

Yes. Sometimes, it is not stable.

Customer…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Some functionality needs improvement:

• Playback is not supported for apps.
  • Speed needs some attention.

Two years.

Yes. Sometimes, it is not stable.

Good.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy.

We used an in-house team.

Good.

A license is easy to obtain.

What other advice do I have?

Use it. It is very useful, especially in my manual and automation testing.

Software Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is very useful in the field of testing and automation and is very easy to run

What is most valuable?

• What I like most is the parallel run for multiple tests on multiple browsers simultaneously.
  • Sauce Labs is useful in iOS, Android, and web testing as well.
  • It has many uses in automation, as well as manual.

How has it helped my organization?

• Testing is now faster using Sauce Labs.
  • More work in less time.
  • It can run on the cloud, which is very useful for me.

What needs improvement?

The slower speed needs to increase and the connectivity stability needs to improve.

It is the best.

We implemented in-house.

Our ROI is good.

What other advice do I have?

It is great tool.

Go for it. It is very useful in the field of testing and automation is very easy to run using Sauce Labs.

Health Systems QA Automation Engineer (SDET) at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Enables faster execution of regression tests without having to support the software needed to validate regressions against different devices

• "Running tests in parallel."
  • "Speeds up the time it takes to run end-to-end user interface (UI) tests inside their virtual machines (VMs)."

What is most valuable?

• Running tests in parallel
  • Sauce Connect Proxy tunnel
  • JIRA/Bamboo plugins

How has it helped my organization?

Enables faster execution of regression tests without having to support/maintain the software needed to validate regressions against different devices, OS, and browsers.

Less than a year.

None yet.

Not yet.

Not yet.

Excellent, so far.

Excellent, so far.

Yes. We built and managed all of our testing infrastructure in-house.

Pretty straightforward, except when you begin working within an enterprise organization that operates nearly all of its web applications behind a firewall. To get our automation running inside Sauce Labs's infrastructure, we first have to install and configure the Sauce Connect Proxy server. The complexity of setting up the tunnel comes mainly from the protocols our organization has for getting the approval to implement Sauce Labs behind our firewall. Explaining the details of the tunnel, why we need Sauce Labs for regression testing, and facilitating the connection between our Server's team with a Sauce Labs technical resource were all fairly complex.

In-house.

It is difficult to estimate at this time.

Start small, even if you are a large-to-enterprise level organization. The setup cost, if you're an enterprise-sized organization, is negligible. Establish a few quick and easy "wins" for one or two product teams. Hold a post-Sauce review with all the stakeholders within each team with the goal of reaching a consensus on whether the product is a good long-term fit. If the answer is yes, then calculate ROI, and if it makes sense, scale up and spend the money so every product that should use Sauce has access and the correct bandwidth.

SmartBear, Perfecto, and Ranorex.

Test Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The parallel run is very useful to run on different simulators and emulators

What is most valuable?

I like the parallel run feature the most. It is very useful to run on different simulators and emulators.

How has it helped my organization?

Testing is very fast with this tool. Also, running automation is a very easy task now.

What needs improvement?

The speed needs to increase. Something with real device also need to improve.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Good.

No, we didn't use a different…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The speed needs to increase. Something with real device also need to improve.

Good.

No, we didn't use a different solution previously.

Worth the purchase.

No, we did not.

What other advice do I have?

Use it and love it. It is worth purchasing and using.

Test Engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Cloud-based solution for multi-browser/platform testing with extensive documentation and good customer service

• "It runs on the cloud, so you don't have physical setups to run all of this."
  • "Start execution time as each time a set of tests start, it will launch a new VM so it takes a bit of time."

What is most valuable?

The ability to run on multiple browsers, simulators, and emulators and the ability to proxy to other locations. Also, it runs on the cloud, so you don't have physical setups to run all of this.

How has it helped my organization?

Currently, it's being used to run tests after deployment of some of our services so we know the status of the services. We also use it to run tests on a schedule so we can check the status of the services (if it's passing/failing). Because we can start up more than one VM through it, we can also run the tests in parallel, meaning tests can be completed faster than running it locally on one machine.

A couple of months.

Just some of the slowness, we are still investigating if this can be improved on our end and if it's network related.

Some browsers doesn't support video playback which we use for some of our tests.

If too many tests are run in parallel using Sauce Connect, sometimes the tests time out. So we had to limit the number of parallel executions.

Pretty good. The customer service guys are responsive, and will respond with a reply in less than a day.

It is also quite good. Some good suggestions are given when questions are asked.

Previously, we were only running it locally.

Pretty straightforward as the documentation is quite extensive.

I would say quite high.

Trial the product and see if it suits your needs.

Nope.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend - the community and customer service are good. The improvements are continuous with regular updates.

Software Tester at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It produces good ROI

What is most valuable?

The parallel run is awesome.

How has it helped my organization?

Can run more tests at one time.

What needs improvement?

A little bit more speed needed to improve it.

Two years.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: It's the best.

No, I didn't use a different solution.

Which other

What is most valuable?

The parallel run is awesome.

How has it helped my organization?

Can run more tests at one time.

What needs improvement?

A little bit more speed needed to improve it.

It's the best.

No, I didn't use a different solution.

Good.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool. Go ahead with it.

it_user740730
User at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables multitasking by having an abundance of devices, platforms, and browser which can be used in parallel

• "The abundance of device, platform, and browser combinations/versions that can be used in parallel."
  • "Unable to segregate reports for tests that are currently being developed, and might not be returning useful results."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Test engineers can now run more tests without bogging down the power of their PC which enables them to multitask, getting more work done.

One year.

Setting up infrastructure was challenging, but worth the effort.

Very positive. From the sales reps to the customer success reps, Sauce Labs is truly dedicated to ensuring an outstanding experience.

Good.

Previously, we had attempted to create our own, on-premise, device grids. There were many difficulties, and in the end, there were cost savings with outsourcing this.

Opening the network securely was challenging, but once established, it was very easy to start executing automated tests through the proxy.

We worked closely with Sauce Labs' support and technical teams to implement the solution properly in-house.

A lot.

Do your homework.

Yes, I won't name them, but we looked at two other products of a similar nature.

What other advice do I have?

The APIs that are offered play a huge role in reporting and metrics for us. Figuring out how to utilize them can be of a tremendous value add to any organization making data-driven decisions.

QA Engineer at a tech services company
It has good customer and technical support

What is most valuable?

Test run on simulators and emulators.

How has it helped my organization?

No need to purchase more real devices.

What needs improvement?

Speed.

Which

What is most valuable?

Test run on simulators and emulators.

How has it helped my organization?

No need to purchase more real devices.

What needs improvement?

Speed.

What other advice do I have?

QA Engineer at a financial services firm
It has a great user interface and setup is straightforward

What is most valuable?

Great user interface.

How has it helped my organization?

Works great.

What needs improvement?

Having video recording would be great.

12 months.

Customer Service: Never used. Technical Support: Never used.

Not complex at all.

In-house.

It's awesome. Its multifold increased our test efficiency.

What's my experience with

What is most valuable?

Great user interface.

How has it helped my organization?

Works great.

What needs improvement?

Having video recording would be great.

12 months.

Never used.

Never used.

Not complex at all.

In-house.

It's awesome. Its multifold increased our test efficiency.

Not too expensive for the ROI.

• "Testing my app on cloud has really helped us with save time and resources to procure various hardware and software, and set those up."
  • "Better and programmatic controls on request/response recordings and sharing with developers."

What is most valuable?

Testing my app on cloud has really helped us with save time and resources to procure various hardware and software, and set those up. The convenience of getting the test done with one click on several browsers/platforms is the key feature we use all the time.

How has it helped my organization?

We are saving a ton of the required lead time before starting any tests. Before, we would plan months ahead on browsers/platforms to determine the needed support, and keep them ready as development happened. Now, we can be much more efficient. Our feature design to the delivery timeline is not tied down by our ability to test anymore.

Slightly over a year.

No, it was smooth.

We very rarely have had any crashes, but otherwise it is stable as a rock.

I have not personally needed it yet, but their documentation and examples are solid.

Not applicable.

Everything else was homegrown; nothing like this.

Not at all.

Ourselves.

Yet to be measured, but if i were to take a wild swing at it, it's more than 1000%.

Go ahead please. Try it at a smaller scale.

None that I am aware of.

QA Engineer at a tech services company
It has provided our organization with faster execution

What is most valuable?

All features are excellent, especially the parallel runs.

How has it helped my organization?

Fast execution.

What needs improvement?

Nothing, all is good.

What other advice

What is most valuable?

All features are excellent, especially the parallel runs.

How has it helped my organization?

Fast execution.

What needs improvement?

Nothing, all is good.

Good.

What other advice do I have?

It's good to use.

it_user718533
User
Provides Faster Access To Browser Versions Without Hardware Or Software Limitations

What is most valuable?

Simulators Parallel testing

How has it helped my organization?

Faster access to different versions of browsers, without needing to worry about hardware or software limitations; 99% uptime.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if they included more user-friendly reports. In addition, I would like to see them continue to introduce more browsers and mobile versions.

Not so far.

Customer Service: Eight out of 10. Technical Support: Eight out of 10. …

What is most valuable?

• Simulators
  • Parallel testing

Eight out of 10.

We were using a local solution. We switched so we would not have to worry about hardware or software limitations.

Straightforward. You just need a username and key to start.

100%.

It's a little expensive, but worth it.

Not really.

QA Engineer at a tech services company
Testing is now easier and faster

What is most valuable?

All features are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Testing is now easier and faster.

What needs improvement?

Stability needs improvement.

Two years.

Yes, sometimes there were issues with the stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: An eight out of 10. Technical Support: A nine out of 10.

Our previous solution had less features.

The initial setup was straightforward. …

What is most valuable?

All features are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Testing is now easier and faster.

What needs improvement?

Stability needs improvement.

Two years.

Yes, sometimes there were issues with the stability.

An eight out of 10.

A nine out of 10.

Our previous solution had less features.

A nine out of 10.

Team Lead/Manager at a media company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Cross-browser testing.

How has it helped my organization?

We realize that when you make a decision to buy Test Management Software it’s important not only to see how experts evaluate it in their reviews, but also to find out if the real people and companies that buy it are actually satisfied with the product. That’s why we’ve created our behavior-based Customer Satisfaction Algorithm™ that gathers customer reviews, comments and Sauce Labs reviews across a wide range of social media sites.

The data is then presented in an easy to digest form showing how many people had positive and negative experience with Sauce Labs. With that information at hand you should be equipped to make an informed buying decision that you won’t regret.

What needs improvement?

Video playback.

1 year

No, not at all.

Very good.

Of course, yes.

not really

What other advice do I have?

Nothing, all good.

it_user702426
Snr Recruiter with 51-200 employees
Allows us to do JIRA Cloud And BambooHR Integration​

• "Allows us to do JIRA Cloud and BambooHR Integration."
  • "I would like to see improved network connectivity and it should allow playback for native apps."

What is most valuable?

Allows us to do JIRA Cloud and BambooHR Integration. As a development shop, Sauce Labs builds a lot of internal tools. We have the availability of our own JIRA Cloud and BambooHR integration as an open source project.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us free up local environment space and has freed up time for more exploratory testing with QA engineers. It improved our organization by reducing escaped bugs.

What needs improvement?

We have used this solution for about a year.

There were no deployment issues.

It is less stable when running parallel tests.

There were no scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent. I would give it a rating of 10 out of 10.

Technical support is excellent. I would give it a rating of 10 out of 10.

We were using BrowserStack, and we switched because Sauce Labs is more user-friendly.

The initial setup was simple and straightforward. The documentation is very helpful and good. You just need a username and access key to launch your automation tests.

We implemented in-house

The ROI is 100%.

It could be less like pay-per-use with a lower rate.

We did not evaluate other options. This solution was a straightforward choice for us.

QA Engineer at a tech services company
Valuable features include cross browser testing, mobile web testing, and JS unit testing

What is most valuable?

Cross Browser testing Mobile Web testing JS Unit testing

How has it helped my organization?

It was difficult for us to test our automation cases of real hardware. There is big combination of OS versions and different screen sizes. Sauce Labs has helped us to resolve this issue.

What needs improvement?

Sauce Labs test execution speed should improve.

We have used this solution for one year.

There were no deployment issues.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

What is most valuable?

• Cross Browser testing
  • Mobile Web testing
  • JS Unit testing

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Sauce Labs test execution speed should improve.

We have used this solution for one year.

There were no deployment issues.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Customer support is excellent. I would give them a rating of 10 out of 10.

Technical support is excellent. I would give them a rating of 10 out of 10.

We did not use a solution previously.

The setup was straightforward.

We implemented this in-house.

The ROI was high (100%).

It could be less money, such as pay-per-use with a lower rate.

We evaluated LunaScape 6.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is very useful in automation.

Lead Automation Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 51-200 employees
We have been able to move to a two week sprint schedule, which had been bottle-necked by manual QA.

What is most valuable?

Vastly improved speed and reliability. Support is also excellent

How has it helped my organization?

Has freed up huge amounts of time managing integrations. We have been able to move to a two-week sprint schedule, which had been bottlenecked by manual QA.

What needs improvement?

The way the owner/user/sub-user hierarchy is set up can be confusing. It would also be nice to have more control over who can see what tests.

One and a half years.

Early on we had some difficulity with parallelizing large runs, but they were resolved.

Excellent!

Exceptional!

It was quite straightforward. All we did was integrate Sauce's sample scripts into our base test and then modify, once we got the hang of it.

High.

Start with what you need and scale up.

Yes, Testbot and BrowserStack.

What other advice do I have?

The effort you'll save not maintaining a grid makes Sauce worth it, even without any of its other features

Software Test Engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Reporting, Parallel test execution, Availability of number of real devices and emulators are very valuable.

What is most valuable?

• Reporting
  • Parallel test execution
  • Availability of number of real devices and emulators

How has it helped my organization?

It was difficult for us to test our automation cases of real hardware along with a big combination of OS versions and different screen sizes. Sauce Labs has helped us a lot in resolving these issues.

What needs improvement?

More structured reporting.

Less than a year.

Three out of five.

Three out of five.

Yes. We were using BrowserStack. We switched because Sauce Labs is more user friendly.

Very straightforward. You just need username and access key to launch your automation test.

In-house. It's very easy for any non-technical user to follow the descriptive documentation.

100%.

It could be less. I would like to see pay per use with a lower rate.

Nope. Cause it was a straightforward choice for us.

What other advice do I have?

Nope.

Test Engineer II at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
The multitude of browser and OS versions are helpful for broadening testing scope.

• "I find that the multitude of browser and OS versions are very helpful for broadening testing scope."
  • "We encountered minor issues with stability from time to time but Sauce Labs continues to make improvements."

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I don't feel there are any real areas for improvement. As long as you follow best practices for programming automated tests and running them via Sauce Labs, then things tend to go smoothly.

I have used it for one year.

There were no real issues with deployment that weren't easily solved by reviewing documentation or having another pair of fresh eyes on the issues.

We encountered minor issues with stability from time to time but Sauce Labs continues to make improvements. Following best practices in our automated code also helps minimize stability issues.

We haven't had any scalability issues so far. We have built a fairly scalable automated framework to handle expansion.

Customer service is 10/10. Sauce Labs is quick to help and easy to reach out to for information or troubleshooting. They even make an effort to keep in touch and reach out preemptively.

Technical support is 10/10; plenty of resources to research before reaching out to tech support. As I've stated, Sauce Labs is very approachable and makes the effort to check in on you.

I’m satisfied with the services that SauceLabs provides. For me personally, as someone just learning all about implementation and exploring the tool, I have no valid complaints about the service itself. Any blockers I come across are easily solved by reviewing documentation, contacting a representative, or sitting down with someone locally who is more familiar with SauceLabs to solve any issues.

We did not previously use another solution

Setup was straightforward because we had help from employees that had previous experience. Additionally, documentation was helpful and it is easy to reach out to a Sauce Labs representative for hands-on help.

We implemented through an in-house team.

Sauce Labs helps us free up local environments, free up time for more exploratory testing, and assists in getting releases certified and pushed to production.

Try the free trial and work with a Sauce Labs representative to see what package works best for your application(s). They are definitely worth looking into and will most likely be the way to go.

Sauce Labs was implemented as a solution before I joined the company so I'm unaware of what other tools, if any, were evaluated.

Sr. Performance Test Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Allows us to off-load our local environments using the SauceCloud.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to easily test multiple browsers and versions, as well as off-loading our local environments using the SauceCloud."
  • "Running tests in the SauceCloud can take longer than running in a local environment."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to utilize the local server space more efficiently now that we utilize the SauceCloud for regression runs that have typically been resource-intensive.

What needs improvement?

I have been using it for six months or so.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues. SauceCloud is great.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. SauceCloud handles all of this for us!

I have not directly communicated with customer service.

I haven't had to use technical support; documentation is great. I can usually find an answer online if needed.

We previously used a locally scaled Selenium stack.

There were some issues with our firewall and the tunnel for the SauceCloud. But we were able to overcome the hurdles fairly quickly.

An in-house team implemented it.

Currently, the biggest return has been in the ability to re-purpose local environments, previously dedicated to regression testing. Also, freeing up the engineers to work on other tasks while Sauce handles the regression across multiple browsers.

We have an enterprise account; it has worked great for our needs.

We didn't find anything that directly compared to Sauce Labs.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool!

it_user577092
QA Engineer at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Automated mobile testing dashboard is the feature I like best.

What is most valuable?

Automated mobile testing dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

We can now run daily and on demand automated tests.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the tests can pass or fail inconsistently. The tunnels and jobs timeout before the app loads, or it has to try 3 or 4 times to get a good connection.

4 months.

Not yet :)

Customer Service: I have not used it. Technical Support: I have not used it.

No, I haven't.

How

What is most valuable?

Automated mobile testing dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

We can now run daily and on demand automated tests.

4 months.

Not yet :)

I have not used it.

I have not used it.

No, I haven't.

Initial setup was easy. Our company already had the account open, but I simply added the sauce configurations to my test configuration file and ran the test.

Technology Development Program Intern at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
I like that it gives me the ability to integrate testing on multiple web browsers into our Jenkins Pipeline.

What is most valuable?

I have found it very valuable that Sauce Labs gives me the ability to integrate testing on multiple web browsers into our Jenkins Pipeline.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made our end to end testing roughly 25 percent faster.

What needs improvement?

I think there could be improvements in the way Sauce Labs provides support to its users and could maybe provide tutorial videos on its services.

About 4 months.

Minor ones but they were on my end.

Our application is relatively small so no

How are customer service and technical

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has made our end to end testing roughly 25 percent faster.

About 4 months.

Minor ones but they were on my end.

Our application is relatively small so no

9/10

It was very straightforward but there was a slight learning curve.

In House.

10/10

The free version works just fine.

What other advice do I have?

Nope! But in a future release I would like to see a more seamless integration with mobile testers.

Senior Software Engineer in Test at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
I like being able to test on real devices in the cloud without having to manage the devices locally.

What is most valuable?

Being able to test on real devices through Selenium has been a fantastic tool!

How has it helped my organization?

Previously we were unable to test on real devices.

What needs improvement?

Internet connectivity to real devices has been a challenge.

Several months.

Implemented myself.

Being able to test on real devices in the cloud without having to manage the devices locally.

What's my experience with

What is most valuable?

Being able to test on real devices through Selenium has been a fantastic tool!

How has it helped my organization?

Previously we were unable to test on real devices.

What needs improvement?

Internet connectivity to real devices has been a challenge.

Several months.

Implemented myself.

Sauce Labs' billing and device access models are absolutely fantastic compared to other similar providers in the space.

Yes, many. TestDroid, TestObject, Xamarin Test Cloud, AWS Device Farm, Perfecto Mobile, Keynote/Device Anywhere

Intern - Technology Development Program at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The CI integration with Jenkins is why we were able to make a case to include this product in our ATDD process.

What is most valuable?

It's ability to test on multiple browsers and OS combinations is invaluable as a QA tool. However, it's CI integration with Jenkins is why we were able to make a case to include this product in our ATDD process.

How has it helped my organization?

This has helped greatly as our organization switches from a waterfall method to an Agile method of software development. The transition is difficult and hectic at times, as it requires a big change in the way we think about, and treat the development process. Sauce Labs, which blends seamlessly into Agile and ATDD processes, has made the process much smoother from a QA perspective.

What needs improvement?

Rarely, some tests fail, seemingly without cause, and will succeed again the next time we run the tests. This isn't a behavior we saw when testing locally.

I've been working in QA for about 6 months now, and began using Sauce Labs about 3 months ago.

We have not deployed yet, but we see no signs of issues in the future.

None so far.

I have yet to engage their customer service directly, but the support pages are full of valuable information. Maybe it could use better organization, but it's there..

We have a Sauce Labs admin at my company who deals with tech support, I have had no experience with them. However, after an initial hiccup when they were setting up tunnels so that we could test internal apps, I have seen no technical problems.

I am new to this QA position and after doing research, Sauce Labs was my first choice.

As a brand new hire, I cannot speak to how easily a seasoned QA role would see initial setup. I was learning Selenium while trying to setup Sauce Labs, and the materials were not so straight forward as to make the process easy for someone so new. It took me a few weeks to really get the hang of things, but I'm confident initial setup on a new project would be simple the next time.

I am a user in my company, I had no interaction with the vender.

Quality Assurance Analyst at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Best for cross browser and simulating different devices

Valuable Features:

Able to test in different OS and browsers

Improvements to My Organization:

It improved our organisation by reducing escaped bugs.

Room for Improvement:

Provide an automation framework suite for basic websites

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for the last year.

Valuable Features:

• Able to test in different OS and browsers

Improvements to My Organization:

It improved our organisation by reducing escaped bugs.

Room for Improvement:

• Provide an automation framework suite for basic websites

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for the last year.

Web Producer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Valuable for the multitude of devices and browser/OS combinations they provide for real device testing.

What is most valuable?

Sauce Labs is valuable to my job for the multitude of devices and browser/OS combinations they provide for real device testing. I am able to eliminate the part where I have to find a human with that device or browser and have them test (potentially not even do that correct), and do the testing quickly at my desk. It also allows Selenium script testing which eliminates more human error.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by testing our website on more devices and browsers that what our company currently owned. We were able to test on the newest browsers without installing them on our computer, or testing the newest OS without having to update our mobile devices.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they could ask for the URL and what browser/OS I want to test in, but not just one combination, I want the ability to start up 10 concurrently at a time. I would also like to put in a username and password before the launch of the test so it will auto put those in all on 10 instead of going into 10 tabs and having to put the same information over and over again.

Our company has been using SL for almost 2 years now in my department, and several more years in other departments.

Initially there was some stability issues with IE9 combos but have since been resolved. They have excellent customer service.

Customer service is top notch. When you report a bug or inquire about something they get back to you with a plan of action, not just "ok we will let our team know". It's refreshing having a company that wants to work better for its customers.

Previously we used BrowserStack, but since they couldn't comply to our legal terms we were able to find Sauce Labs and are better for it.

Sauce Labs was very easy to use for it's basic needs, but using Sauce Connect was very confusing. I am a technical person, but the documentation needs to be a little more "dummy" friendly for nonprogrammers. This sites documentation is really more geared for the software engineer rather than the Qa Engineer in my opinion.

Senior QA Analyst, Test Automation at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Cross browser/OS testing and mobile testing.

Valuable Features:

Cross browser/OS testing and mobile testing.

Improvements to My Organization:

We work on a complex SaaS web application which has lot of regression testing. If we were to run all our tests on different browsers/different OS combinations, we would need lot of new infrastructure and VM's. But with Sauce labs, we were able to use Remote WebDriver and connect to their VM's which have all the combinations we are looking for.

Room for Improvement:

We still see simulators for a few mobiles in their VM's, we want to test on real devices.

Valuable Features:

Cross browser/OS testing and mobile testing.

Room for Improvement:

Software QA Automation Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Wide variety of platform and browser configurations. Documentation and speed could be improved.

Valuable Features:

Wide variety of platform and browser configurations.

Improvements to My Organization:

Sub-accounts allow multiple teams to test concurrently.

Room for Improvement:

Documentation and speed.

Valuable Features:

Wide variety of platform and browser configurations.

Improvements to My Organization:

Sub-accounts allow multiple teams to test concurrently.

Room for Improvement:

Documentation and speed.

Testing Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
We've tapped into their API, so that our testing suites contain reliable information we can validate across the platform, switching between Sauce results and our own.

Valuable Features:

With only a few months of service under our teams belt, it has been nothing but excellent. We joined during the web interface transition and it is a more enjoyable experience. Once tapped into their API, our testing suites contain reliable information we can validate across the platform, switching between Sauce results and our own. This obviously makes troubleshooting much less daunting. Their documentation system is much improved. We rely on their services for mobile iOS and web testing across several projects.

With the rebranding and a focus on providing physical device testing. Sauce seems capable of being a top service provider now and into the future.

Improvements to My Organization:

We run eight virtual iOS simulators with our suite of over 280 feature tests. Parallel runs reduce our total execution runtime to a little over 2 hours. By adding some clever logic into our driver class for Sauce, we can send tests to random device configurations to achieve greater coverage without running the entire suite against every device. Interacting with the API makes this easily possible. We don't need to use Sauce Connect and perform each session configuration within our driver class.

Room for Improvement:

The only caveat to mention, is the availability of the next release of iOS on their systems. Their adoption seems a bit slow. I understand Sauce is making an effort to enhance their current infrastructure to make updating to the latest iOS release easier in the future.

QA Engineer at a sports company with 501-1,000 employees
Having the capability to run in parallel against various types of OS's/browsers/mobile-devices is great.

Valuable Features:

Been using Sauce Labs for a couple years now, and to say the least it's a lot better than managing my own farm of VM's.  Having the capability to run in parallel against various types of OS's/browsers/mobile-devices is great as well.  Looking forward to glancing at RDC (Real Device Cloud) and seeing if that provides a better solution as we run our mobile tests on slow emulators.

Improvements to My Organization:

Sauce Labs, for the most part, has very little to no down time, so our tests are running in parallel all through out the day and night.  It's great to go back and view the videos of our browser tests to first see what is going on, and then search the log and output files provided to narrow down the issue even further.

Room for Improvement:

I think their logging could be improved a bit, possibly to include the output that I see on my command line (print statements, etc.) which help pin-point the error (if one happens) more easily.

Senior Software Development Test Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Quickly run multiple OS and browser combinations.

Valuable Features:

Sauce Labs is great in that you can spin up a virtual machine of one of many different configurations and quickly get your test up and running.  After, you have a great report of the test status along with screenshots, video and other meta data about your test.  To do this in house would be way too time consuming and costly.

Improvements to My Organization:

Quickly running multiple OS and browser combinations with ease.  What more needs to be said?

Room for Improvement:

Not really sure.  Maybe a .NET test runner option?  This may or may not already be in place, but I know it wasn't the last time I checked on it.

Sauce Labs has a test runner available for Ruby or some other language other than .NET which allows users to execute their tests directly from it.  This would be nice to have for .NET, as well.  Currently, tests are started locally and then they are run on Sauce Labs.  It would be a nice option to have it all started and executed on Sauce Labs.

DevOps Market Analyst / Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Being a cloud based testing grid is really the key feature.

Valuable Features:

Being a cloud based testing grid is really the key feature. But inside the product the killer features for us was the new CI dashboard of test results, and the recording of bugs into JIRA.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are small. Most small dev teams do not consider testing as much. But this is exactly why we needed sauce. Quality was priority from day one. And with only developers the only solution was automated testing, and a test grid we did not have to manage ourselves. We choose Sauce because of it's popularity, but also because they have a good relationship with the market and show their interest in helping the market get better with test automation.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to see it work directly with Azure Web Apps so that we do not have to have a separate step to run tests, or setup complex flows in Jenkins.

Because our application front-end runs one Azure Websites which is a PaaS solution, we do not have server access and this makes it challenging for use to work with some external tools. I would like to see sauce labs have a direct integration with Azure Web App slots. This way we would not have to make the test runs a manual step. Currently we initiate tests manually and if they pass we do a manual promotion from an Azure Web Slot. We could integrate Jenkins or other release automation tool, but this would be additional overhead on top of what Azure provides out of the box. Another way to do this, instead of a direct integration with Azure. Is if their was a way to run tests in Sauce upon ever commit of a specific branch in GitHub. This way we could have a branch just for automation, and would not need to involve Azure Web App slots at all.

Software Engineer at a philanthropy with 51-200 employees
Fast, massively parallelizable browsers, user-and-keyboard friendly interface, and nice toolset for making CI/CT happen

Valuable Features:

Ability to run many different browsers and tests in parallel. This has allowed us to keep our total test times under 25 minutes (even as we've continually added hundreds more tests and up to 10 browsers) and run tests more often—decreasing the time from bug introduction to detection.

Being able to test mobile devices (iOS, Android, and different browsers on each device) has helped us catch tricky mobile-specific bugs in the past.

We've also found the web-based review features (video playback, step-by-step screenshots, "click to manually take over test", full logs) and API handy for diagnosing failing tests and looking back at the result and timing history.

We also found Sauce Labs to be more flexible than alternatives during the setup phase—if you go just one parallel instance over the limit, for example, I noticed they won't instantly fail your tests like another major provider does, which saved a lot of time and frustration when getting parallel tests set up to start.

Improvements to My Organization:

We now find most browser-specific breakages before they hit production. This lets us push code out knowing it won't break in specific browsers, letting us be bolder in making larger changes across our codebase, frontend to backend.

We are now getting our Sauce Labs tests integrated with our CircleCI tests using Sauce Connect, which should dramatically decrease the time-to-issue discovery and save us time tracking down bugs once our tests catch them.

Room for Improvement:

Finding ways to debug our flakier tests is an ongoing pain for us (we've fought with our own tests' flakiness across all different providers, often e.g. due to some test steps using implicit rather than explicit waits). We could always use more insights in to the causes of different failures, common advice when a failure type is detected, or more detailed guidance on best practices for test runner setup.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: While Sauce Labs is an infrastructure partner with Code.org (see https://code.org/about/partners and https://code.org/about for more on Code.org's non-profit mission), this review reflects my unbiased personal experience and opinions formed evaluating and using the service—if it wasn't great, we wouldn't be using it!
Lead Test Automation Engineer at RevContent
The Source for Effective Test Automation

What is most valuable?

There are a few features that makes this service a top-tier solution. First there is the automatic video recording of the test runs that records the actions taken. For any debugging that you have to do this makes this service invaluable. Often times I would look at the recording first before I started debugging the test locally since I would likely find the issue there faster than starting up my own debugging session.

Second best feature is the use of real mobile devices as an option for some of the test runs. There is no substitute for running tests on real devices. After setting up and maintaining a local testing grid of 9 mobile devices I can assure you using a service that does it for you is so much better. There were some weeks that were spent on just fixing issues when using my own devices.

The best feature though is the fact that they use the WebDriver protocol for executing actions on their service. A lot of companies just used their own variations on the WebDriver. This then meant that you had to write another set of wrapper functions just to make the current framework work with whatever vendor you were using. Sauce Labs just used the standard remote WebDriver. Which meant that all you needed to change was the hub url to point to their hub and you were done. If you wanted to there is a few lines of code that let you mark the test runs as successful or failed from your side instead of their generic completed message. All told that is 5 minutes of work and it would have better integration with whatever your process is.

How has it helped my organization?

The ability to share the tests that failed with the developers improved the overall efficiency of the team since there was no ambiguity on why a test failed. In addition we used some of the recorded test runs with the business to clarify the functionality of some of the more complicated features.

What needs improvement?

My company wanted test coverage for some devices that were not available on Sauce Labs so I still had to manage a small "test lab" with those devices. Some of the devices were Windows Phone 8 and Blackberry 7 and 10. On our site the only reported instances of those devices accessing our site was the test devices after 6 months so I am still unsure why we wanted to support those.

Actually since their service was so stable it helped identify some flaky tests. Before those tests were executed on bad machines so if they failed they would be executed again and then it would pass. But by running the tests on Sauce helped identified that the test itself was flaky so the tests were refactored into stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability. I personally wished that we had a budget to get more parallel executions but the cost was not justifiable.

Their customer service reps are fantastic! They have heard of all of the typical issues that can occur in business and offer solutions to it such as using one of the professional tiers to make sure that their service integrates into the workflow before going to the full blown enterprise plans.

We had used Perfecto Mobile but was unhappy since it was not easy to integrate with our existing framework. Business wanted the devices to be real devices everywhere in the world so went ahead and purchased Perfecto Mobile without trying the service.

The initial setup was so easy that I thought I must be missing something. Since their service provides so many features I was certain that there must be some other options that I have to declare in the code to get those features, but no it was really that straight forward.

I implemented it in-house since I was tired of managing 25 virtual machines and 12 mobile devices and 5 physical machines on a seemingly daily basis.

Truly agile companies that are constantly testing should get the enterprise solution that they have with dedicated machines. For more ad hoc testing or just testing before the release the pricing on their site would be the best.

I evaluated Perfecto Mobile and BrowserStack before testing out Sauce Labs and they did not compete well enough with Sauce Labs. Perfecto did have more devices available around the world than Sauce Labs but the connections were slow.

Google Partner at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It gives us excellent bandwidth channels as well as automatic and manual sessions.

Valuable Features:

There are several pros: 1. Good Trial 2. Install and uninstall apps 3. Excellent bandwitdh channels 4. Automatic and manual sessions

Room for Improvement:

The session duration is too short; it's only about 3 hours long.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

Valuable Features:

There are several pros:
1. Good Trial
2. Install and uninstall apps
3. Excellent bandwitdh channels
4. Automatic and manual sessions

Room for Improvement:

The session duration is too short; it's only about 3 hours long.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

it_user405354
Quality Assurance Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It gives us the ability to replay our tests back in video form.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would have to be the cross-browser testing functionality. Our product specifications say that we support the Big Four browsers – Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari – latest versions and up to two versions back. When including mobile, that’s 10 different browsers (and browser drivers) to maintain. This would be a near impossible task for our small testing team.

It also gives us the ability to replay our tests back in video form. This makes attempting to debug failed tests not a breeze, but easier. It also helps convincing (stubborn) developers that there is a problem.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to successfully integrate Sauce Labs into our automated test environment. From that we are able to run our test suite across multiple browsers overnight. This gives us a level of confidence that we previously didn’t have.

The other huge benefit we get from this product is the manual testing powers. When a client tells us that they’re having issues on a particular browser. We’re able to fire up that exact version and reproduce the problem ourselves.

What needs improvement?

Speed is the key. We’re a business in Australia, so any tests that we perform are having to travel to America and back. This is time that we have to wait on for us to get responses back. In an active business every second counts.

We've been using it for about 12 months.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with instability.

We haven’t had any problems that we couldn’t work around, or there wasn’t any documentation on. The only problem is that hit that point where it’s unfeasible to expand our UI testing framework as the cost to run a shed load of tests is too much for our business.

This has been an area of focus from Sauce Labs. Their customer service is unmatched, and their help documents have all been recently updated.

We have used a local Selenium grid, and still do to write our tests. However, we valued the cross-browser accessibility over speed for our nightly automated test suite.

Initial setup was somewhat difficult originally. That was due to multiple reasons, namely lack of actual programming experience on our behalf, and the documentation at the time was a mountain to climb. Sauce Labs has since updated this documentation, and we have since gained experience.

Our in-house team performed the implementation. For advice, it’s a lot like setting up Selenium Grid. One thing we did was have an Environmental Variable “ISTESTLOCAL”, we use this as a gate to whether or not our tests should run on Sauce Labs or not. This is very helpful in increasing the speed which we can write and debug our own tests.

Also, if using the Bamboo plugin, make sure to check the settings page as there is a list of already in use environmental variables set when Sauce Labs runs.

The biggest things you have to consider is how much testing you’re planning on doing, who is your client base, and what browsers they’re using, and what can’t be tested using API testing.

What other advice do I have?

If you have any issues with the product just shoot the support team an email. They always get back to me promptly with the best solution they have available. Also, spend the time to read the documentation.

If your company is security conscious, as it should be, look into Sauce Connect which creates a secure tunnel between Sauce Labs and yourself.

Art Director at a marketing services firm
It gives us multiple operating browsers, screenshots and high video quality.

Valuable Features:

Multiple operating browsers, screenshots and high video quality.

Improvements to My Organization:

A cross browser test platform is really important for a web designer, Sauce Lab providing a really fast, functional and with good quality service.

Room for Improvement:

It's a little bit slow sometimes.

Deployment Issues:

No issues with deploying it.

Scaled for our needs.

Valuable Features:

Multiple operating browsers, screenshots and high video quality.

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

It's a little bit slow sometimes.

Deployment Issues:

No issues with deploying it.

Scaled for our needs.

Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I can now virtually test the devices I need, plus a lot more devices that I wouldn't be able to get my hands on.

Valuable Features:

The beyond convenience to test websites and applications on any platform necessary.

Improvements to My Organization:

In the past, I would have to find all the devices I could to live test pages. But now, I can virtually test the devices I need, plus a lot more devices that I wouldn't be able to get my hands on.

Room for Improvement:

Just continue to support new versions as they come out. The speed can be a little slow, but other than that it's great.

Use of Solution:

At least five years.

Room for Improvement:

Use of Solution:

At least five years.

Test Automation Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It allows us to monitor test executions in real-time as well as perform actions on a testable web page.

Valuable Features:

It can be used in a very wide spectrum of environments and has a high speed of access when running tests against these environments.

The environments are really easy to configure and the UI is very friendly.

Another great feature is the monitoring of test executions in real-time as well as the ability to perform actions on a testable web page.

It also has video recording and full logging, which are great and helpful functionalities.

Room for Improvement:

I think that I found maybe only a few gaps which I don't think are very important. These are more like improvements which need to be added.

It would be very good to see a short example of the code that needs to pass into Driver capabilities, something like auto-generation of this block.

Also, it's not obvious where to look for the API key. It would be very nice to have a button on the top navigation menu.

Deployment Issues:

No issue with deployment.

No issue with stability.

Scalability Issues:

No issue with scalability.

Other Advice:

My general overall impression of Sauce Labs is very positive. I use Sauce Labs and recommend it to every engineer.

Quality Assurance at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
The most important and valuable feature is the ability to select multiple browsers and environments to test and configure how your site runs and works, but the main interface can be slow to load.

Valuable Features:

Sauce Labs is an amazing product for the work that I do, and there are many different solutions for testing out there. Sauce Labs in particular, I have used on many occasions within different roles and I found it to be a good alternative to options such as Browserstack.

The most important and valuable feature is the ability to select multiple browsers and environments to test and configure how your site runs and works. This process eliminates the need for any virtual machines taking up disk space on servers, and now Sauce Labs streamlines the testing process by being able to have these virtual instances of OS and Browsers right on-demand.

I particularly found the tabbed view of Sauce Labs useful, allowing me to have multiple browser sessions open (one for, say, each operating system as well as different browser brands) along with its clean and minimal interface. These are features which aren't found in other testing suites and are definite bonus!

As a newbie to automation testing and having experience in using a wide range of on-demand tools, my main aspect of Sauce Labs involves using the 'Manual Testing' option, which is brilliant. You simply selected the URL and choose the browser and environment, and within minutes you'll simply have a virtual environment to play with, and it is really that simple.

Another useful aspect of Sauce Labs' product is that you can allow it to take screenshots, videos and logs, which are really, really handy. Having dealt with many issues that end users see whilst a website is being developed on, often is the case that issues are hard to replicate. Knowing Sauce Labs is there to record this (in case I can't replicate it), makes this a tool which you can share the experience with other users.

The configuration and options within Sauce Labs are endless, which makes it an excellent product. A well-designed and minimal interface has also helped me to stay productive and keep focused on the main tasks which I use it for (manual on-demand testing and using different environments to see expected behavior for our platform).

Over time, I aim to expand into the automation area which looks great from the outset and be able to automate some tedious tests which could reduce the amount of time that I spend testing, and ensure I can continue to capture bugs and issues more effectively.

Improvements to My Organization:

This hasn't necessarily changed the way in which the organization functions, but has added to my skill set. Currently, Sauce Labs fits very well within the other services (Ghost Inspector, Browserstack) which I currently use and it's a tool that is there for me to be able to have the flexibility to test on demand and use whichever configuration is right for me. For example, our user base will mainly be clients using Internet Explorer 10, 11 and Edge on Windows 10 or IE and, therefore, having these environments at my disposal is really handy.

As a QA person, it is ultimately my responsibility to ensure that our product is tested on as wide a range of devices as possible and Sauce Labs helps to achieve this through the multiple environments that it offers and being able to multitask is an added benefit.

For me, it has improved the way I function as I don't require the use of virtual machines and the headache of setting them up, and running tests on local computers meaning adding to the myriad of devices already on my desk! Streamlined, easy access to testing when I need to - that's already the benefit to me of Sauce Labs.

Room for Improvement:

The main interface, although clean, is sometimes very slow to load on slower connections and selecting a machine and waiting for it to boot up the environment takes a lot longer than other products I have used. This sluggishness also increases when the user tries to navigate the environment and interact with it. Selecting Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 gave me a really slow response time and took a while to boot up. All virtual environments are expected to be slow, however the interaction between the user and keyboard presses / mouse clicks wasn't very synchronized, and often the lag that is caused distracts away from the full experience.

Manual testing also opens up in a separate browser tab, which I'm not sure why, but should ideally load over the main dashboard.

IT Software Testing Analyst II at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It's enabled several employees to schedule tests and shift left with CI, but getting accurate pass/fail results when running parallel TestNG scripts is a challenge, though we figured it out.

Valuable Features:

Ability to quickly spin up VMs to test combinations of browsers and operating systems is a must.

This service allowed me to get tests running within an hour of signing up!

Improvements to My Organization:

This service has enabled several employees here to schedule tests and shift left with CI, which offers reliability and minimizes variability.

Room for Improvement:

Getting accurate pass/fail results when running TestNG scripts in parallel by class is a challenge but after some work we figured out a solution.  I have also heard some complaints about lag when spinning up VMs but it is so much faster than the alternative that I don't mind.

QA Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has improved my testing efficiency to allow me to include devices I may not have had time to test out before.

Valuable Features:

The unlimited manual testing capabilities across so many devices saves significant amounts of time and money. In addition, the ability to have multiple sessions open at the same time I can tell right away if there is a difference in functionality of iOS vs. android.

Improvements to My Organization:

Sauce Labs tool has improved my testing efficiency to allow me to include devices I may not have had time to test out before. As most QA people know we get pinched in the time we are given to test. This tool allows for more testing to be done in that limited amount of time increasing the number of found issues before it reaches the customer.

Online Websites Advertising at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
It helps us make sure that our websites are compatible with the major browsers and are also mobile-compatible.

Valuable Features:

Free and unlimited access to a variety of browsers to test your website in a real envornemt not just simulating behavior. Fast feedback as you can run parallel sessions. Screenshots and video playbacks that can be shared online!

Improvements to My Organization:

As we desgin websites for clients, we needed to make sure that our websites are compatible with the major browsers and are also mobile-compatible.

Room for Improvement:

I only tried the free trial so far, so not a lot to say about the cons.

Valuable Features:

Fast feedback as you can run parallel sessions.

Screenshots and video playbacks that can be shared online!

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

I only tried the free trial so far, so not a lot to say about the cons.

Prodigious Programmer at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We've been able to reduce the number of applications running on our server, and therefore reduce the processor costs.

Valuable Features:

Being able to test on Windows without a VM has been a life saver.

We've had issues with IE (of course) and being able to run my selenium tests without needing to set up a virtual machine has not only made my day a lot better, but the whole process was stupidly simple.

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Honestly, I can't really think of anything. It's been a joy to use and so incredibly simple.

Other Advice:

Hands down, would recommend.

Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
With it, we have a clean, lean, and bug-free site that displays well on mobile, though the cost could be improved.

Valuable Features:

Sauce has all of the wanted features, from just about any major OS, any major browser, and different resolutions. I can't imagine how complicated it is to support such a vast array but they seem to have done it. A client has an issue on FF on 1920x1080? No problem. I can spin up a VM instance and instantly confirm the issue. This helps us bring a new responsive web experience to users and quickly fix strange issues that would literally require a server farm to have each version of every OS!

Improvements to My Organization:

A more clean, lean, and bug-free site! We know our site works on mobile. We know our site looks good on Safari 8 1280x1024. We know android phones display the website perfectly. It makes sure that the user doesn't get a bad experience which is crucial these days.

Room for Improvement:

I don't really know of any, I wish everything life was a bit cheaper, so maybe that? I honestly have no complaints. They did all of the hard work so our lives are easier and the users get a better experience every time.

Senior Search Advertising Executive at a media company with 51-200 employees
We're able to test our online ads on different browsers, though we've only used the trial version so far.

Valuable Features:

• Quick Cross-Browser Testing
  • Mobile emulation

Improvements to My Organization:

As an advertising agency, we need to see how our online ads would look like on different browsers. Before we used the Google Chrome developer emulation tool, but due to a difference between what we saw and what the client saw in a real browser, we realized that something is wrong.

Other Solutions Considered:

I made online research for a better emulators, and Sauce Labs was one of them. So many devices and OSs to choose from, with live remote sessions, we could see real results and real looks of websites across all platforms we needed to check.

Other Advice:

First it started as a Trial account, but now we are considering an full account to use always as our testing tool.

Software Quality Analyst at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
It's reduced stack overflows and I've found the dashboard valuable, but I've only used it during the 14-day trial period.

Valuable Features:

To being with, I had to find a way to communicate between a MAC and Windows machine in order to run tests specific to IE. Tons of stack overflows and, finally, I found Sauce Labs. Simple + straight forward + easy to use + pre loaded + runs PERFECTLY + great dashboard.

So in short it was fun first time experience, and having 14 days trial really allowed me see the full stretch of how the SL environments are.

Improvements to My Organization:

PROS: All that I mentioned above + the super awesome tech support guys, who are really technical when it comes to SL's product.

Room for Improvement:

CONS: None so far in my first 8 days of usage. Probably an additional 15 days of trial [just kidding], I will ping/communicate/ if I stumble across a problem for sure.

Software Developer Trainee at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We can fire thousands of events to devices and run all our tests in the cloud, but the 7-days scheme should be removed.

What is most valuable?

The temporary storage they are giving is just awesome. You can run all your tests in the cloud on one powerful platform.

How has it helped my organization?

I was just surfing to know about monkey runner and selenium tools, I encountered this cool tool and boom. Thousands of events can be fired easily to your device. Purchasing it would be worth it.

What needs improvement?

None as of now. Soon I will be purchasing ( if my Director approves :P) then i can honestly tell you. The 7-days scheme should be removed.

2 weeks

No. The configuration of server explained properly.

What do I think about

2 weeks

No. The configuration of server explained properly.

No. The most famous selenium integration is enough to show off your scalability.

4.8 out of 5

4.5 out of 5

Somewhat complex in terms of configuring server.

QA Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
I get faster results with a wider range of platforms and different browsers, but it should allow a longer trial period with more parallel tests available.

Valuable Features:

I was using my local machine only and in order to get my tests on different platforms/browsers I have tried Sauce Labs. Now I get results 100 times faster with a wider range of platforms and different browser versions used. It supports some popular languages like Java, Ruby, Python The run tests are privately secured in the cloud unless you want it to share with your colleagues. Just great for Selenium tests.

Room for Improvement:

I think it should be a longer trial period with more parallel tests available.

Use of Solution:

Trial for a couple of days

It supports some popular languages like Java, Ruby, Python

Just great for Selenium tests.

Room for Improvement:

I think it should be a longer trial period with more parallel tests available.

Use of Solution:

Trial for a couple of days

Senior QA Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We save time by running tests in parallel. Now, I integrated Sauce with Travis in the building process.

Valuable Features

Availability - Always ON Scalability - Run all tests in parallel Full Report - With logs, videos, and screenshots Easy connect and start up. Many options and platforms available Faster executions and results Parallel tests Sauce Connects Now, I integrated Sauce with Travis in the building process.

Improvements to My Organization

We have paralleled the tests, drastically reducing testing time.

Room for Improvement

Agility Faster results

Use of Solution

3+ years

They are great! Always friendly and thorough.

TestingBot

Valuable Features

Availability - Always ON

Scalability - Run all tests in parallel

Full Report - With logs, videos, and screenshots

Easy connect and start up.

Many options and platforms available

Faster executions and results

Parallel tests

Sauce Connects

Now, I integrated Sauce with Travis in the building process.

Improvements to My Organization

We have paralleled the tests, drastically reducing testing time.

Room for Improvement

Agility

Faster results

Use of Solution

3+ years

They are great! Always friendly and thorough.

TestingBot

Senior Test Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It runs and scales in the cloud with multi-platform support, features we found valuable during our 90-hour trial period for R&D purposes.

What is most valuable?

Ability to scale and run in cloud

Multi-platform support

What needs improvement?

Links are not present very easily. One has to search for them.

Ability to run on physical devices is not present.

Almost 8 months

None

Amazing. Within 12 hours of ticket creation, I was contacted.

Yet to determine.

It was easy.

In-house

Unknown at the moment.

To be determined.

Keynote, but did not use because of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I recently took a trial account of Sauce Labs for some R&D purposes. Sauce Labs has pretty amazing capabilities of providing huge combinations of OS-platforms and emulators and my objective was achieved. My impression was the the site had all the information which I needed to get started but it was scattered and not easily accessible. Example, I somehow reached the tests dashboard page and I memorized it for subsequent access instances as it was not present in links sections. Maybe I missed it, but then if key information is not placed such that it is easy to find, then others can as well miss it. I found Platform Configurator extremely helpful but I found it only when I visited the Platforms page. Before that I was struggling to find what all information should be put in desired capabilities because that appeared to change with platform. I also liked that Sauce labs provide an amazing 90 hours during trial period which is really useful when R&D has to be done. It would be icing on the cake if Sauce Labs can provide a way to run tests on real devices.
Thanks Sauce Labs, you have one more loyal subscriber.

Software Testing Enigneer (QA) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It's scalable, fast, and customer support addresses issues even when not directly related to their service or our usage.

Valuable Features

Scalability Fast Customer service Technical support Pricing

Use of Solution

Since around August of 2015

Customer Service: Sauce Labs support has been very helpful, and they are always friendly, even when it's not always a direct problem with their service or our usage of it. Technical Support: For our needs, the customer service and technical support come through the same channel, and we've been very happy with the level and quality of responsive support we receive.

Valuable Features

• Scalability
  • Fast
  • Customer service
  • Technical support
  • Pricing

Use of Solution

Since around August of 2015

Business Owner at a wellness & fitness company with 51-200 employees
Has enabled me to make changes so that my sites are (almost) universal across the range of devices and versions.

What is most valuable?

Being able to test how my websites render on a very wide range of mobile devices.

How has it helped my organization?

I am a novice web-designer really just producing for my own hypnotherapy business. However, Sauce Labs is incredibly easy to use and has enabled me to make some changes so that the sites are (almost) universal across the range of devices and versions.

A couple of hours

None

Recommendation from the web…

A couple of hours

None

Recommendation from the web developer at British Airways.

Easy

Traffic Travis

What other advice do I have?

Loving it already

Consultant at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Prior to implementation we had a three month release cycle. Now we do daily releases.

What is most valuable?

• Parallel and flawless execution of automation test
  • Go sync with any CI and CD tools

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to implementation we had a three month release cycle. Using Sauce Labs we were able to move to daily releases. Due to stable remote environment, we started believing in the product and now we are in true CI and CD.

What needs improvement?

Every product has room for improvement but for me it provided an all together complete solution that catered for all my needs.

I used Sauce Labs for two different organizations over the last three years, primarily for remote automation test execution and automation test lab management.

All you need is an access key. There is no client deployment required.

They provide good information if there is any downtime needed, hence one can plan accordingly.

No issues encountered.

Good.

No previous solution was used.

It's a very simple initial setup.

We are now on our fourth quadrant of agility and this tool helped us.

We also looked at Browser Stack.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it.

it_user208599
Software Development Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
The combination of OS platforms, platform versions, browsers and browser versions support on VMs are valuable.

What is most valuable?

The combination of OS platforms, platform versions, browsers and browser versions support on VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

Cross browser and cross platform testing on our test case scenarios.

What needs improvement?

A little clarity on documentation when integrating with third party APIs will help the users. Take for example, when a high-level language like Gherkin comes into the picture- how should users handle it?

I've used it for four months.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

Yes, the parallelization is not possible now when cucumber and junit are used together.

Haven't had the need to interact with them.

Haven't had the need to call them.

We weren't previously using a different solution.

Straightforward since the cloud based examples were clear.

Implemented in-house.

Working on open sourcing an API based on Sauce Labs support that can benefit both the parties and the community in general.

Our monthly cost as of now is $149/month for a small team.

No, we used local machines by installing different versions of browsers and platforms. I am now trying to promote this idea of using Sauce Lab across my company moving forward.

Quality Engineering Intern at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
With the help of Sauce Labs, all I need to do is to configure the settings in my codes and let the tests run.

Valuable Features

Cross-platform mobile testing. Before using Sauce Labs, I would have to setup a Selenium Grid cluster and install all versions of mobile simulators/emulators in order to test apps on different platforms. With the help of Sauce Labs, all I need to do is to configure the settings in my codes and let the tests run on the cloud. It saves me a lot of time and efforts.

Improvements to My Organization

For mobile testing, Sauce Labs platform is great for functional tests. But the option to run tests on real physical devices is missing right now, so it’s impossible to run performance stress tests which is also very important to test mobile apps. This feature is actually supported by some other mobile testing vendors like Appurify. Hopefully, Sauce Labs will add this feature soon.

Good. According to my experiences, the technical support engineers typically reply to emails within a day.

Straightforward. Just integrate the client libraries and setup processes into your existing automation framework. Detailed documents are available on Sauce Labs’ website and its Github report.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The client libraries are quite compatible with other popular testing frameworks. Chances are you can directly integrate it with your existing automation infrastructures, so the original setup cost is very low.

Software Testing Architect at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Since using Sauce, our team is able to focus on automating more processes, expanding, and new industry standards.
Setting up and maintaining internal VMs was difficult and was wasting hours of developer time. Our full stack regression process involved manual testing that took up to a week to complete. Traffic continued to increase, so the team set out to automate the processes. We knew our testing tool needed to scale with us, work cross-platform and on any OS, be easy to use, and provide detailed post-test reporting to enable us to diagnose failures. When our testing responsibilities expanded to include mobile apps on iOS and Android, we knew Sauce was a natural fit. Sauce Labs’ videos, screenshots, and in-session debugging tools have enabled employees to work together in different cities. It’s a big part of what allows me to work remotely and to continue to easily communicate with my team. We can…

Sauce Labs’ videos, screenshots, and in-session debugging tools have enabled employees to work together in different cities. It’s a big part of what allows me to work remotely and to continue to easily communicate with my team. We can troubleshoot together using video, so the process is almost instantaneous. Since using Sauce, our team is able to focus on automating more processes and expanding best practices and new industry standards such as mobile CI.

Recently we’ve started to use Appium, a cross-platform mobile automation framework, and are in the process of pulling their mobile apps into Jenkins. Currently, Github commits kick off their mobile regression tests that run on Sauce and they’re working on integrating those test results into their feedback loop. For mobile in particular, Sauce is great. We’d face a lot of problems if we had to maintain a functional mobile lab on our own. Lastly, having access to every version of every browser has an added benefit of making onboarding easy. There isn’t a long set up process for new team members’ VMs any more. There’s no need to debug unique issues on each new laptop. We just use Sauce Labs, and it’s smooth sailing. Sauce enables us to do our mobile app testing as easily as we do our web testing.

Disclosure: IT Central Station has made contact with the reviewer to validate that the person is a real user. The information in the posting is based upon a vendor-supplied case study, but the reviewer has confirmed the content's accuracy.
Software Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helps me scale my automation environments

What is most valuable?

I find the API to integrate with my script runner invaluable. I can annotate jobs and get results to display in my CI server. For more complicated scripts, the secure tunnel is extremely useful when automating a 'private' application.

How has it helped my organization?

Running WebDriver scripts in house for a single, or few browser combinations is easy but once we started to scale up both in terms of browsers and parallel execution maintaining the grid became a pain so we offloaded it to Sauce. Now we have more combinations that we had before and don't have to worry about scaling our script execution ourselves.

Before starting to use Sauce, we used an internal Se Grid running on a mix of local machines and both local and cloud VMs. The upkeep needs to keep the machines patched and healthy became increasingly a burden -- especially with a run of bad luck with AWS saying that instances were being shut down due to 'performance degradation'.

QA Manager at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Fast, scalable, flexible, reliable in-the-cloud-Selenium

Valuable Features

The on-demand provisioning, the multiple operating system and browser choices (including multiple versions), as well as the really nice screenshots and videos, as well, are key.

Improvements to My Organization

Having full logs, with videos and screenshots, has really helped us work more closely within our own team, as well as, more importantly, being able to show developers (automatically!) what the precise problem is.

Use of Solution

Since around August of 2011

Integration with Sauce has been a breeze for us here at Mozilla.

At various times, there are high-latency launches, or outright timeouts, but the Sauce Ops team has been pretty good about both 1) acknowledging the issue/investigation 2) working steadily to resolve it.

At times, the brief outages or slow service responses have temporarily hampered our fairly large (in terms of concurrency) test-automation runs, but that's not very often.

Sauce support has been very helpful -- always friendly, pretty prompt, and thorough, too -- even when it's not always a direct problem with their service or our usage of it.

Being an open-source organization, we wrote our own custom plugin to handle integration of both our in-house Selenium Grid as well as Sauce Labs (https://github.com/mozilla/pytest-mozwebqa), and although I didn't personally do any of that coding work, can attest that the APIs Sauce provides have made it pretty easy for us to do that integration and setup work.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We are lucky to enjoy Sauce Labs's "Open Sauce" program, as an open-source, not-for-profit organization: https://saucelabs.com/opensauce

Other Solutions Considered

We did look (back in 2001) at other vendors, but found the business side and open-source/project relationships fit well with us.

Other Advice

As a disclaimer, I have done a number of Selenium Meetups with Sauce Labs, as well as a few blog posts which have covered our usage of the service, as well as, finally, authored a Featured Customer case study, in which I expound on nearly all the points I've made here:

Chief Arrgonaut at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Selenium without the fuss

What is most valuable?

Turn-key access to any browser/OS combination I need Video recording with permalink to the test job

How has it helped my organization?

I've been able to help numerous companies get up and running with Selenium quickly thanks to Sauce Labs.

4 years

Customer Service: Support is friendly and responsive. Technical Support: Solid.

Local execution and a small number of virtual images. Switched because it became too onerous to support.

For a technical person, it's pretty straightforward. It can be complex given the nature of Selenium and integrating with a third-party platform.…

What is most valuable?

Turn-key access to any browser/OS combination I need

Video recording with permalink to the test job

4 years

Support is friendly and responsive.

Solid.

For a technical person, it's pretty straightforward.

It can be complex given the nature of Selenium and integrating with a third-party platform. But once you understand the fundamentals of Selenium and Sauce, it's simple enough to connect your tests to their infrastructure and capture the results for your own reporting needs.

I help companies implement Selenium. When implementing Sauce (which is a given unless there are constraints that prohibit it) I either update their existing test code to work with it, or implement my open source Selenium framework for their testing needs (http://github.com/chemistrykit/chemistrykit) which comes with Sauce support built-in.

Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Excellent solution for running functional and unit tests in browsers

Valuable Features:

Video recording / screencasts Very fast response from customer service Mobile Web, and Native Mobile Support Can handle massive amounts of parallel tests Manual testing sessions In-browser unit tests

Improvements to My Organization:

Use of Solution:

2 years

Valuable Features:

• Video recording / screencasts
  • Very fast response from customer service
  • Mobile Web, and Native Mobile Support
  • Can handle massive amounts of parallel tests
  • Manual testing sessions
  • In-browser unit tests

Improvements to My Organization:

• No longer have to manage VMs for testing. No more browser upgrading and dismissing dialogs and windows that stack up.

Use of Solution:

2 years

it_user174360
Sr. QA Automation Engineer with 51-200 employees
Video recording feature is tremendously helpful. It helps me debug and find defects quicker.

What is most valuable?

• They have a video recording feature which I find tremendously helpful. It helps me debug and find defects quicker. When I see something fails, it shows me the video of the failed part, the video playback feature is amazing.
  • Easy to setup.
  • Very responsive. Get back within the same day – overall great company.

How has it helped my organization?

My company was doing manual testing, I came in and built a framework using Sauce Labs; now it takes less than an hour for regression testing. Easy integration, increased the amount of codes that go out. I used to have to write the tests and perform manual tests; Sauce Labs, has changed all that.

What needs improvement?

Documentation is pretty extensive, but at an advanced level could be a bit better. But they are always helpful. Besides that everything is great, they help out right away, so nothing is a big deal.

About three and a half years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues at all with the product's stability.

Very good, highly scalable product.

They are amazing. Always get back to me, follow up, everything is amazing.

They are amazing. Always get back to me, follow up, everything is amazing.

Previously I used my own virtual environment – had to create and manage it on my own, now I don’t have to worry, infrastructure, setup, anything, Sauce Labs does it all for me.

Straightforward for me.

I implemented in-house.

In terms of value, we increased our release cycle to twice a week as opposed to once every two weeks – so its doubling productivity.

I did. I looked at BrowserStack. Did not have video-playback, which is tremendous for finding bugs and code.

What other advice do I have?

I think its excellent and everyone should get it – I recommend it to everyone. No brainer. Nothing else like it out there right now.

it_user174462
Sr. Engineering Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
After moving more tests to Sauce, the team was able to reduce testing time from 30 days to 3 days.
We attempted to host and run an in-house Selenium grid in 2012, but we had several failures and false positives that arose from our unstable Selenium grid versus their code. While some failures were due to normal challenges associated with a grid running hundreds of nodes, others were due in part to low familiarity with Windows, since our company’s primary focus was UNIX and Linux that year. After initially experimenting with Sauce Labs, I automated a handful of tests. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t have to manage Windows boxes, browser versions, and security settings for Windows machines. Because virtually no one on my team had Windows experience at the time either, I knew Sauce would be well received.   In a startup environment, often everyone reinvents the wheel with their favorite…

In a startup environment, often everyone reinvents the wheel with their favorite tool, and then you have to support multiple tool chains. We found no backlash when it came to Sauce, however. Every developer and QA person said, ‘this is amazing.’ Within a week everyone was using Sauce. I turned off our Selenium grid and deleted the VM that it was running on. After moving more tests to Sauce, the team was able to reduce testing time from 30 days to 3 days, a time savings of over 99%.

Our test and development environments are highly automated. QA testing is complicated because of its large matrix of supported operating systems. We use 400 to 600 UNIX, Linux, and Windows VMs to run more than 1,000 UI tests in parallel. In addition to these VMs, we use 20 machines from Sauce to run 20 test suites in parallel continuously with Jenkins, a popular CI system. We use Sauce Connect to work behind our secure firewall, and Sauce is the final check for quality across all browsers.

I do not want my team spending time on browser or image maintenance. It’s too expensive and it changes too quickly. I love that Sauce handles that for us. 40 engineers currently use their Sauce Labs account. Our large team finds the video debugging tool extremely helpful as it aids communication. With Sauce, we experienced an epiphany. It works right out of the box by recording video so we don’t have to look at log files. It helps us debug instantly.

Sauce immediately allowed my team to scale our testing from literally the day we rolled it out. It also allows me to access browsers I hadn’t thought about using previously, such as Safari and older versions of Internet Explorer, which would have required the team to manage infrastructure they were not equipped to do. We’re not browser savvy. Avoiding this, thanks to Sauce, is a huge win.

To achieve the same results in-house we get by using Sauce, we’d need to employ several systems engineers to set up and maintain the grid, for a total cost of approximately a half million annually in headcount. Lastly, avoiding the hassle of managing unfamiliar systems has helped retain top engineering talent within my team. If you tell your team of UNIX and Linux people they’ll have to maintain Windows systems for IE use, that could be an issue for some folks. So I think I saved people from leaving because Sauce handles this for us. Sauce allows me to deliver a robust and sophisticated UI testing infrastructure with very little work.

QA Director at Bridgetree
Sauce labs enables speed to market and supports continuous integration

What is most valuable?

In my previous company, we used Sauce Labs to enable the team to test with various operating systems and browsers without having to own each of them.

How has it helped my organization?

Their product gave us the ability to run multiple teams of testers across the various platforms that would be used by our customers without having to physically have the infrastructure in place. This drive our movement into continuous integration and the ability to test earlier in the cycle.

over a year

No. It was very easy to install and implement from day one.

What do I think about the

over a year

No. It was very easy to install and implement from day one.

Customer service from the initial query to sauce labs to the product evaluation to contract negotiations to purchase and installation was seamless. They are so accommodating and easy to work with and this allowed us to go from initial discussion to implementation in what I would consider one of the shortest timeframes I've seen with a new product. And I have seen many products in my 21+ year career.

It was very easy and we were up and running the product the same day.

Purchased and implemented directly through Sauce Labs.

High but I cannot disclose value.

Very low but cannot disclose amount.

DevOps Engineer at a sports company with 51-200 employees
Pros: Easy, Fast, Reliable Selenium & Appium Grid. Cons: Hosted Solution Only

Valuable Features:

* Video Recording of Test Runs

* Snapshots

* Mobile Web, and Native Mobile Support

* Running Tests in Parallel

* API to return test results and metadata

Improvements to My Organization:

Sauce labs is an easy to use hosted infrastructure for managing/launch all browser versions, mobile web browsers, and native mobile applications for seamless integration testing. I have used them at Bleacher Report while I was working as a QA Engineer for 2 years now and their has not been a tool that provided the same feature set and ease of use.

The fact that they contribute back to the open source community is also another great reason to use them. The tools they help deliver (like Appium) have helped our team scale while keeping our QA department very lean.

Use of Solution:

3 Years