SCCM Overview

SCCM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to Ansible: SCCM vs Ansible

What is SCCM?
With System Center Configuration Manager, you can manage PCs and servers, keeping software up-to-date, setting configuration and security policies, and monitoring system status while giving your employees access to corporate applications on the devices that they choose.

SCCM is also known as System Center Configuration Manager.

SCCM Buyer's Guide

Download the SCCM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

SCCM Customers
Bank Alfalah Ltd., Wªrth Handelsges.m.b.H, Dimension Data, Japan Business Systems, St. Lucie County Public Schools, MISC Berhad
SCCM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SCCM pricing:
  • "The licensing is good because they have various options, depending on what you are looking for."
  • "Pricing is negotiable with Microsoft, depending upon which of their packages you choose."
  • "When you compare this solution with other tools in the market you might actually find a lot of variation in the pricing and that's why people opt for the other tools rather than Microsoft tools."

SCCM Reviews

Usman Siddique
Information Technology Lead at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 7, 2020
Works well with Windows, very stable, and can scale well

What is our primary use case?

Our main use is, first of all, to update the patches and to push the patches from SCCM, to check systems software, and to see which software is installed along with the systems. These are the major three things that we use on SCCM. We are on the endpoint side. We just ensure that the SCCM agent is installed appropriately. I have an on-site server also. There are the primary servers, and then there are site servers of SCCM. I have a site server also. With the site server, I have to make sure it is working and there is no hardware level or any other issue on these machines. This site server is… more »

• "The main, clear valuable feature is updating the latest, patches and updates from Windows. This is the main feature we really utilize a lot."
  • "Devices like smartphones and tablets are managed very well on VMware, however, they are absent in SCCM. I could configure iPad from the VMware site and it was done very easily. It should be just as possible on SCCM."

What other advice do I have?

We are at an endpoint site. The servers that are in our data center. I don't know which exact service-side version we are using at our data center. I would recommend SCCM to others. I've used it from scratch and with the new features, especially Intune. I do recommend the SCCM, especially in the Microsoft environment. VMware Workspace One is also good, from what I understand. The issue is they give very limited trial features. If they would give I full fledged trial base version of the VMware Workspace One, it would be easier for someone to completely evaluate the two. Microsoft gives you a…
OmidKoushki
Cloud Engineer, Infrastructure Architect at SarvHamiPars
Dec 11, 2020
Flexible, great for patching on virtual machines, and pretty stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using SCCM to manage the virtual machine configuration. We had around 100 or 200 virtual machines and wireless, and we need to configure different settings on all of the virtual machines. We need to handle patching, updating, and installing security updates. We prefer to use System Center instead of other solutions like GFI LanGuard that are already installed in other environments.

• "It's helped us solve problems surrounding patching, installing, and reporting different patches, etc., on the virtual machines."
  • "Based on my experience with SCCM 2016, the main, big issue is not having a good user-friendly environment. It needs much better GUI."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. In the past, we used System Center version 2012, and after one year we upgraded to System Center 2016. Out of all the products in the market, the best solution is System Center, especially for Microsoft virtual machines and all services that are related to Microsoft Technologies. If you are evolving in the Microsoft environment, I prefer to use the System Center due to the fact that it includes different solutions like System Center Configuration Manager, System Center Operation Manager, System Center Virtual Backup. It's a full solution and provides different services…
Learn what your peers think about SCCM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1059522
IT Assistant at a international affairs institute with 10,001+ employees
Jun 1, 2019
Graphical reporting is informative and easy to use, but an agentless version is needed

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for vulnerability management. Our primary use case is for software updates, including ad-hoc and monthly updates, as well as security patches.

• "The most valuable feature is the graphical-based reports of software updates that have been successful, the ones that have failed, and a summary of where the failures are what security breaches may occur."
  • "I would like to see an agentless version of the solution."

What other advice do I have?

Since this solution is agent-based, computers without the agent cannot be reached on the network. In addition, non-Microsoft products are not supported. So if you have a mix of platforms like Linux and Mac OS, you'd be better off looking for an agentless solution and not SCCM. Security is one of the big problems with Microsoft products, but usability is equally good. I would rate this product a seven out of ten.
Abul Fazal
Service Delivery Manager at Almoayyed Computers
Jul 27, 2020
Easy to implement with good patching and has lots of new features in the pipeline

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for client management, especially for day-to-day operational activities, like access management or software deployment.

• "Microsoft is being very competitive right now, and they are really investing in a lot of new features to be more competitive in the marketplace."
  • "We'd like the solution to make it easier to manage remote users."

What other advice do I have?

We are a Microsoft gold partner. We're noticing many users in our country moving away from Microsoft and towards AWS. We tend to use the latest solution, or something close to that. We always are trying to keep it up to date in all the customer database and systems. Whenever there is the latest update available, we update everything immediately for our customers. The latest version may be 19.06. While all the customers we have are currently on-prem, we are looking for cloud-based solutions going forward, due to the fact that our customers tend to gravitate towards the cloud. They are like…
reviewer1383303
Systems engineer - IT infrastructure management at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 24, 2020
An easy initial setup and very scalable and stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for client and server deployments, and software deployments, as well as software metering.

• "The initial setup is straightforward and not too complicated."
  • "With Microsoft Premier Support, you get what you pay for. There's Third Tier Support that you pay for. If you pay for that, you get excellent support, and if you don't pay for that, then you get the less experienced staff."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft customer. It's a very good product. The basic question is the size of the company itself that may want to implement the solution. the point is if you're big enough to afford an enterprise agreement, with Microsoft, then I would highly recommend it. It's a suite of products. If you're a small to medium business, which does not have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft, I would recommend that you look around for third party products. Simply from a cost perspective, you might be better off, but if you have the money and the size and the revenue, then definitely, Microsoft is…
BrucePollard
Infrastructure, Technical Computing Applications at EQF Solutions
Oct 31, 2020
Stable and works well for large environments

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for SCCM is for managing workstations. All of the software that runs on our workstations is packaged and distributed and managed. Along with that, some of our security software is managed a little bit differently, but is accounted for in that way. We also use it for keeping track of our patches.

• "We're a Microsoft-centric organization, so we are happy with the integration between products."
  • "There is no asset management package included."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody looking into implementing SCCM is that it has to be on a larger scale, and you have to be committed to Microsoft. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1468257
System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Dec 17, 2020
Full featured and stable but limited support for one operating system

What is our primary use case?

SCCM does everything from A to Z for a Windows operating system. It provides a full-featured deployment for Windows-based systems from the setup screen.

• "SCCM does everything from A to Z for a Windows operating system."
  • "They need to improve the support for the Mac operating system."

What other advice do I have?

Compared to other tools I would recommend SCCM as a good solution for Windows systems only for managing your systems because it provides support for server operating system as well, rather than only for the client's operating systems. I would rate SCCM a nine out of ten but since their support for other operating systems other than Windows is limited, I rate them overall, a six out of ten.
reviewer1475949
System Engineer
Dec 21, 2020
Scalable with good management and an excellent set of features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for patch management.

• "The solution has a very good set of features."
  • "The analysis is something that can be integrated. Their report analysis can be improved a little bit due to the fact that most of the time complaints policies are saved by the admins. It's something that we need to look into and search for."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with SCCM. Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We've been mostly satisfied with it as a product.
See 10 more SCCM Reviews
Download our free SCCM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.