Securonix Security Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Securonix Security Analytics is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top User Behavior Analytics - UEBA tools. It is most often compared to Splunk: Securonix Security Analytics vs Splunk

What is Securonix Security Analytics?

SNYPR is a next-generation security analytics platform that transforms big data into actionable security intelligence. Built on a Hadoop big data security lake, SNYPR combines an open data model, log management, security incident and event management (SIEM), user and entity behavior analytics (UEBA) and fraud detection into a complete, end-to-end platform that can be deployed in its entirety or in flexible, modular components.

Securonix Security Analytics is also known as Securonix.

Securonix Security Analytics Buyer's Guide

Download the Securonix Security Analytics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Securonix Security Analytics Customers

Securonix Security Analytics Reviews

Adam Fousek
VP Engineering at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Video Review
Puts a lot of contextual information into the events, eliminating individual searches and reducing case research time

• "Customer support and making sure that we're successful has been one of the best features, one that we weren't even looking for during evaluation, but that's what we have found."
  • "Some of the user experience when doing threat-hunting, such as being able to see multiple types of analytics from different log sources in one view, would be beneficial. Right now, there are some limitations around that."

What is our primary use case?

Securonix is a SIEM solution for us. In our deployment, it's a software as a service model, so it's a hosted solution. We are feeding several log sources to it and correlating logs, searching, building alerts. It's our primary tool for analyzing logs and alerts for our entire environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit we've seen is in reducing the number of alerts from stuff that we can tune out easily. Previously, in the solution we used, there wasn't that flexibility, so we received a lot of alerts that we knew were false positives that we easily just dismissed. But it took somebody's time to look at all of those and mark them as false positives. With Securonix the alerts are easier to tune. We can exclude certain log source types. That option wasn't available in solutions we've seen in the past. The ability to tune out stuff that we don't want to see allows the team focus on real events. That's been the biggest benefit.

One example of detection of a threat would otherwise have gone unnoticed is that they have an alert for randomly generated domains. It's using our web gateway information to look at domains that our users are going to. It has the ability to look at randomly generated domains and investigate what those are and if anyone actually submitted anything to them. Phishing domains are very popular and we have seen users clicking on phishing emails and going to randomly generated domains that are spoofing login sites. Those are things that we found that we hadn't seen in the past.

The way that a Securonix is able to put a lot of the contextual information into the events is very helpful. That has reduced the amount of time required for investigating, "Hey, this might be something I need to look at," and then doing further research. It puts all of those violations in one event or case, so that you can look at different types of violations that all correlate. That has reduced the amount of time for researching some of those cases. It's dependent upon the scenario, but in some cases it could save an hour of going out and doing a bunch of individual searches.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is for it to be reliable and scalable so it is able to ingest the amount of logs we need in a timely manner, and then make those logs available to us for search in a very quick, reliable way.

Also, since it is capable of doing UEBA — the anomaly detection, with easy-to-create rules — as we build those rules, in some products we've used in the past, they would cause performance issues. But with Securonix that hasn't been an issue. So the ability to create rules and alerts in a viable way is also very important.

What needs improvement?

Some of the user experience when doing threat-hunting, such as being able to see multiple types of analytics from different log sources in one view, would be beneficial. Right now, there are some limitations around that. So some of the user experience when doing threat-hunting could be improved. That's the main point that I've seen that we're working with them on.

Technical support has been amazing. We have a lot of different security companies that we work with and with most of them it's very difficult to get competent folks to help. That's been a non-issue with Securonix. We meet regularly. Any issue we've had, they've had prompt resolutions. Customer support and making sure that we're successful has been one of the best features, one that we weren't even looking for during evaluation, but that's what we have found.

The fact that we're using software as a service, so Securonix is hosting the infrastructure, has been a huge win for us. Before, we managed all of our SIEM on-premise. We had an appliance and we had to perform operating-system patches and upgrades to the system itself.

Getting it set up was easy. We had nothing to do. They just told us when it was ready. Then we had to set up all of our log collection to their remote ingestion node and then send that up to the cloud. Setup was definitely easy and we've been able to onboard a lot of our log sources in the first month. It's just a lot of tuning from there. So the initial setup was much easier than in our previous experience.

Return on investment is having my security team focus on their jobs and not have to maintain a SIEM. That has definitely provided a lot of value.

In addition, not having issues with the base functionality is part of the ROI. We ran a different SIEM for over five years, and if anything was tweaked then we'd end up having support tickets and spending time resolving them and making the thing work. Not having to deal with that, it's hard to measure exactly the value, but it's been very refreshing that we're actually focusing on improving our security instead of just making the log system function.

What other advice do I have?

I would say Securonix is a nine out of 10. The core functionality is the best that I've seen in the market. Being able to execute on ingesting logs, building alerts, looking at anomalies, providing fast search, and being able to provide an extensive history available to search is a huge win for us. We're often investigating stuff that happened a long time ago. The only thing that we could work on is the user experience when doing threat-hunting, and they've been open to looking at that and exploring options. So I think that will improve also.

GarySingh
Cyber Security Team Lead at Avalara
Video Review
SaaS solution enables us to move away from tool management and still have a full-featured SIEM

• "I was looking for software as a service rather than having issues with managing hardware, upgrades, updates. I was trying to step away from that. Those were the key factors when looking at Securonix as a full-feature SIEM with next-generation capabilities available."
  • "There is slight room for improvement in terms of the initial deployment. What I see is that Securonix is more focused on their product. They are expanding, in a big way, the number of customers. So there has to be a number of dedicated teams to jump on and speed up the deployment process."

What is our primary use case?

I work for Avalara. It's a tax technology company based in Seattle with offices all across the world: North Durham, California, Sao Paulo Brazil, Brighton UK, Pune India, and we are expanding right now.

We have a list of use cases, like brute force attacks. Our top executive team wanted to see — whenever we are under a serious attack — on their dashboard that the attack is happening, so that the corrective measures can be taken. That is the primary use case: to have that transparency for a number of security use cases like brute force, phishing, and others, and for our executives and our team to see that attack is happening so that we can counter-measure it and save our company from any data exposure or any security incident.

What is most valuable?

I see Securonix as a full-featured SIEM. I was looking for a SIEM tool that has traditional SIEM as well as UEBA, and found Securonix to be a good fit for our company, Avalara.

Another good thing is that I was looking to move away from tool management. I was looking for software as a service rather than having issues with managing hardware, upgrades, updates. I was trying to step away from that. Those were the key factors when looking at Securonix as a full-feature SIEM with next-generation capabilities available.

What needs improvement?

There is slight room for improvement in terms of the initial deployment. What I see is that Securonix is more focused on their product. They are expanding, in a big way, the number of customers. So there has to be a number of dedicated teams to jump on and speed up the deployment process. We would like to partner with different teams that can implement and deploy it faster, whose only job is just to go to the client's site and deploy. Just do it. That's one improvement, based on my experience, that would definitely help them go a long way. Because the way they are expanding they need to focus, because the first impression is the last impression. During the initial one to two months of deployment, that momentum and that support you provide a client is very important. That first two months after a client buys it, how the deployment goes, leaves a long-lasting impression on the client and the team.

In the initial setup itself we needed to dive deep into this. We had some deep technical questions and we were lucky that Securonix provided us with another technical resource. He really seemed knowledgeable.

And myself, I'm personally in touch with some of the technical people. We are getting that good support from them.

For the initial setup a team was assigned and a command was set up, so it was pretty straightforward. We had already gone through a PoC. Coming from a SIEM background, I understand the whole architecture and the process that takes place. We were looking at reducing the timelines and, as we go through it, we are seeing that. The log integrations are pretty fast and, as I said, tool management is done at the backend. So, the initial setup is pretty good. We got logins the day we wanted them. They were assigned, and we are proceeding ahead with the deployment, and we're pretty close to it.

The strategy was to shorten the timeline. My COO and our company didn't want to waste time in long processes. So the strategy was to first have a list of log sources, prioritize them, and integrate the important ones, and the ones that could be integrated fast, immediately into the system. The second step was to streamline the rules, to baseline the rules initially. We already had our team to work on the alerts. The strategy was to get it up and running as fast as possible. We're doing it in phases. We have already done the first phase and with the second phase we are almost there. Within the first two months, we'll have most of the SIEM organization done as well as baselining of the rules done.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product at eight out of 10 right now, because there are scopes for improvement, operationally as well as technically. But they have definitely come a long way in a very short time, so I really give them eight-plus. There's definitely some scope for improvement operationally, and there are some technical features which need to be added.

Learn what your peers think about Securonix Security Analytics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Balamurali Vellalath
Practice Head-CyberSecurity at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Analytics platform has open security data-links and it is easy to deploy

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is their analytics platform where they have the open security data-link, which they introduced. This is typically different from the other vendors."
  • "The pricing. I'm not sure how they are proceeding with the identity based pricing compared with DB pricing which most of the vendors are using today."

What is our primary use case?

In our organization, we handle cybersecurity. As an IT services company, we are limited to setting up the security operations center in different forms for our customers' requirements.

We are in the business of setting up the security operation center for the customers and we also provide other stock services for many of the customers. We do have a lot of service offerings on our stock management platform.

We do MDR via cloud security and its monitoring services, so we are very familiar with the leading platforms in the market today like QRadar and Splunk. We use them in our environment today. I have been searching out the next-gen SIEM. Then I brought Securonix to my board. I came to learn that Securonix is leading in the innovative ideas and innovations on the SIEM platform side. Particularly because my role is a security practice in Veeam SM. If you evaluate the market trends you understand the products released into the market and how best to leverage that integration and make sure that there is no bounce back to the customer in these situations. That's why I started evaluating the Securonix in a typical lead evaluation.

We are not partnered, we have just done a couple of initial discussions with some of the folks here in India. We are still in the stage of evaluating these products, including Securonix.

I noticed that this is more on the open data platform when it comes to managing the locks from a different angle and for different assets. That's one area which is more interesting for us.

Compared to other competitors in the market, what I have seen is that their module is the UEBA, User and Entity Behavior Analytics, module. That is something different which they are offering today.

These are some of the differences I see. Additionally, is the pricing issue. They are moving from DB pricing to the identity-based pricing. But I'm still confused about that identity pricing. I still have to get more clarification from the products.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is their analytics platform where they have the open security data-link, which they introduced. This is typically different from the other vendors.

What needs improvement?

As far as what can be improved, again it is the pricing. I'm not sure how they are proceeding with the identity-based pricing compared with DB pricing which most of the vendors are using today. Some of them are dealing with EPS based pricing.

There is still a need to evaluate the stability because we are very new to this platform. So we need some more time to do that.

The initial setup is straightforward, it is easy to deploy.

We did evaluate other options before choosing Securonix. As an MSSP we use many products. It all depends on the kind of requirements we get from the customer. We evaluated QRadar and Splunk. As an MSSP, we use a combination of tools.

The major difference between Securonix and the rest is that their security data-link is very open and the hosting of that platform is much simpler compared to other vendors.

Because there is no proprietary thing involved here the log management should be much easier compared to others.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would rate Securonix an eight.

RP
Regional Director, Customer Success (GTM Solutions & Services) at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Bad integration and a very immature product with two failed attempts at implementation

• "There aren't any positive aspects of the solution. It was a complete failure. There are no redeeming features."
  • "We thought they were going to be a great product, however, they're actually not great at all as an MSP."

What is our primary use case?

It was supposed to be good for security to provide as a SOC-as-a-Service, however, it failed.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution did not improve our customer's organizations at all. The implementation attempts were a complete failure. We had to move them to another product.

What needs improvement?

The integration is very bad.

The initial setup failed in both use cases.

The technical support is terrible and completely unhelpful.

The product itself needs a lot of work; it's very immature.

The stability isn't great.

We never really properly used the solution. We tried, however, on the two clients we attempted to have to use the solution, it completely fell flat.

The stability of the solution is not good.

Technical support is terrible. they are very bad. They are not helpful or responsive, and we were quite disappointed with the level of service on offer.

We ended up moving out clients over to QRadar as this solution did not end up working for either of them.

The initial setup failed. We had to move to a different solution completely. The installation process was terrible. It was not straightforward.

The implementation was done with the vendor, and the vendor failed on a number of areas to implement it.

We did not pay a licensing fee. We moved away from the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We tried to implement it and we've taken it out. We've tried it with two clients, it failed, and therefore we moved them now to QRadar. It was terrible. It offered bad support and was a bad product, and everything that was promised wasn't able to be delivered.

We canceled our partnership with them, and we've actually reverted the two clients that were supposed to go onto the Securonix, on to QRadar now.

We were trying to onboard two customers, and we ended up implementing this solution with neither of them.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten.

Sanjay-Kulkarni
Manager Security Operation Center at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A stable and scalable solution for small and medium sized companies

• "The solution is stable and scalable."
  • "We would like to see better integration with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We are a services company, so we provide services for our clients' companies.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see better integration with other products.

We have been using Securonix Security Analytics for around six months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is okay.

We work with different SIEM solutions, including IBM QRadar and LogRythm. Although I prefer IBM QRadar to Securonix Security Analytics, there are no features of this product that I wish to see included in it, as these two platforms are disparate.

The reason I prefer IBM QRadar is because we already utilize this solution with our customers, whereas with Securonix Security Analytics we are talking about a process which we have yet to complete.

The initial setup was relatively uncomplicated. It basically involved operations, with which we had some issues.

I cannot comment on pricing as this is not within my purview.

What other advice do I have?

Our clientele includes small and medium sized companies, not enterprise.

I rate Securonix Security Analytics as an eight out of ten.

Download our free Securonix Security Analytics Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.