Sunil Pandey
Assistant QA Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Purely API so integration is possible with any tool; web scraping is a key feature

• "Ability to integrate with every other tool."
  • "Could have additional readability and abstraction."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is a customer of Selenium and I work in QA.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of this solution is Web Scraping although overall I think every single feature of Selenium is valuable because it's purely API so we can integrate it with any other tool.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, I think there could be additional readability and abstraction in the solution, similar to the way other frameworks function. The solution could possibly use a more generic framework with more machine learning. If the community or IT companies had the budget, they might be able to work on that but it would definitely improve the solution, particularly in areas such as image comparison and image recognition. Machine learning capability would enable a self-healing capability in terms of locators. Selenium is not a magician, you need to provide instructions in order for it to identify any element in the web. That would really be an advantageous feature. Jason Arbon, CEO at test.ai, demonstrated this in Appium, which derives from Selenium.

I'd also like to see a one-click install package. For now, I have to use TestNG, then Java, and then build them back. That could be simplified.

I've been using this solution for almost five years.

It's a pretty stable solution but we have to be careful and make sure we're using what has been released. We need to know which version to use and make sure it's the latest one so we know it will be stable.

We are a small setup so have four or five users in the company. I've worked in bigger companies where thousands have used the solution on a daily basis, so it's very scalable.
It's not the solution that deals with scalability, it's the cloud or a virtual system that enables scaling. If there are 1,000 test cases that I want to commute in an hour, then sometimes the reports can be messy.

We use Selenium forums most of the time and we get most of our answers from there. There are multiple people online providing answers. Selenium does provide a service but we don't use it because we are self-sufficient in that respect.

I have used Coded UI from Microsoft, which I believe will be deprecated some time this year. That was a very good solution. Before that, I also used HP QTP. Both of those are easier solutions than Selenium but also quite expensive.

The very first setup several years ago was quite complex, nowadays it is simple. Generally we use Maven, so it is simply importing and doing the setup. If I already know the settings, it can be deployed within half an hour. It depends on the system configuration so there can be issues sometimes. Setup can easily be done internally and if there are good community people there could be a one-stop solution layer where installation is one click. Maintenance is only required when there are updates or API changes.

What other advice do I have?

The solution requires good understanding of Python, Pearl or Java and it's important to use the documentation. It would take a few hours of watching video sessions or reading the documentation to get started. It also helps to have an understanding of how API works, the architecture and how Selenium interacts with browsers. Having the background helps to design something with more features.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
PRADEEP PAMIDIPALLI
Project Lead at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good remote server features and an easy implementation

• "The solution is very easy to implement."
  • "The login could be improved, to obviate the need for relying on another one for integration with Selenium HQ"

What is our primary use case?

We employ the version of the solution with the most ease of use, based on a search we conducted five or six years back. We now have a new client who likes the approach we used with a different one. We have a script to download the latest version, integrate it with the regression suite and then run it. Our current and previous clients equally approve of this approach. We make certain to utilize the latest version even when conducting tests during the development stage, as we find it easy to work with.

What is most valuable?

Remote server execution is a feature we find most valuable. We make use of Selenium Grid as concerns parallel execution. We also find the ordinary features of Selenium Grid to be valuable, 90 percent of our purchases comprising UI and 10 percent back-end.

What needs improvement?

In the past, we had difficulty with screenshots, but this has been remedied. We feel that all the current solutions are usable and the providers are helpful.

This said, the login could be improved, to obviate the need for relying on another one for integration with Selenium HQ. It would be nice if the solution provided an internal login system, one which would allow us to easily debug it. Until such time as a login system will be added from the vendor application, it will not be possible to identify the exact cause of a potential failure, unless there should be an interaction with, say, the UI element. Selenium HQ currently allows for an exception should an element be stale, not be found, or intractable.

We have been using Selenium HQ since 2007.

The solution is very stable. I always suggest Selenium, even when conducting internal training. As I consider this to be a better solution than that offered by the competition and one which works, I do the same with my team. I always advocate on behalf of the ease of integration of Selenium HQ.

We have not made use of Selenium HQ’s technical support. We belong to a forum site that we joined some time ago while looking for help in finding an integration solution on the pipeline side. We were able to obtain all the information we needed from the Selenium HQ forum. Meaning, there was no need to contact anyone else with our frequent questions.

The initial setup of the deployment cycle and the process of onboarding users takes an average of 10-15 minutes. This is the length of time it takes for us to set up in our pipeline the data repositories for the regression suite, and, subsequently, integrate the data with Selenium HQ, which is the point at which we run it.

What other advice do I have?

We implement the solution for our clients, not simply resell it.

The solution is very easy to implement. The first step which must be done is to go through the documentation on the site. I feel the solution to be pretty straightforward and people are drawn to it by its ease of use. There is always help available on the web for integration or implementation issues.

I rate Selenium HQ as an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Selenium HQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VK
Associate QA Manager at Xcel Serv Solution
Easy to set up and customize but is difficult for beginners to use

• "We can run multiple projects at the same time and we can design both types of framework, including data-driven or hybrid. We have got a lot of flexibility here."
  • "The latest versions are often unstable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a functional testing tool.

What is most valuable?

Selenium is a freeware tool, through which I am using Java for automating our project testing and with its feature grid and a different browser, I can do the functional testing. We can automate our functional testing through a browser. It supports all types of browsers including Firefox and Chrome.

It's easy to customize according to our needs.

Now we are getting lots of extensions such as BlazeMeter, where you can record and generate the script and modify, et cetera.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The parallel testing in Selenium is lacking.

The latest versions are often unstable.

There's no UI in Selenium. Beginners who want to start using it must have knowledge of Java, Python, or any programming language. If you are using a Chrome extension, that is a BlazeMeter extension, you can record and make the script, however, that is not very helpful for beginners.

The editor is based on Eclipse. It would be nice if there was some in-built UI for this.

I am leading a 20 person team where I have some junior staff and we have to set up lots of demos and training for them to be comfortable with Selenium.

Occasionally, if someone is downloading the latest version of Java, it might not align with the Selenium version. There needs to be a way for Selenium to alert you if there will be a conflict between versions.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The level of stability depends on the version you are referencing. For example, Version 3.1.46 is very stable, however, Version 4.0.0, the latest version, is not.

There is no technical support available for Selenium, as it is an open-source product. There is a blog where you can find answers to questions, however, there's no one to actually reach out to.

Previously, I was using VSTS Ultimate.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and simple.

You first have to install Java, JDK, in your system. Then you can install an editor such as Eclipse. In Eclipse, you can incorporate all the Selenium jar files.

The solution is free to use.

What other advice do I have?

The reason we are using version 3.14.1 and not the latest version is that this version is the latest most stable option. The most recent versions are often not the most stable.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

There are lots of tools in the market that are paid versions, such as QTP. Those have got lots of features. While Selenium has some good features, due to the fact that it's free, you cannot get support, which is why I have reduced my rating by a few points.

SR
Systems Analyst at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good API and we are happy with the UI, but we have to spend a lot of time on maintenance

• "In general, I would say that the API set is the most valuable feature."
  • "Whenever an object is changed or something is changed in the UI, then we have to refactor the code."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Selenium for web application automation and mobile automation.

What is most valuable?

In general, I would say that the API set is the most valuable feature.

We use sticker boards and we are happy with the UI.

What needs improvement?

Whenever an object is changed or something is changed in the UI, then we have to refactor the code. This means that we have to spend a lot of time on maintenance.

We have been using Selenium HQ for the past two years.

Stability has been a problem during my testing. I have run the same code several times and faced issues for no apparent reason. Problems were identified, though the objects are all in place and no changes have happened in the UI, the test failed unwantedly. Then, we run the test case for the second time, the result will be true. This means that there is instability in the tests.

We only have a small number of test cases and haven't faced any problem with scalability. However, I am not sure what will happen when we try bulk testing.

There are three different teams for automation in my organization, and each has a single point of contact, so there are three different people.

We have not been in contact with technical support. When we did have a problem, we were able to resolve it by finding the solution online.

We were using another set of tools for quite some time before we switched to Selenium HQ.

We are also using Appium, which has native support for Android and iOS devices.

The initial setup was complex and it took us approximately five days to complete.

Our in-house team handled the deployment.

One person is responsible for maintenance, although this is one of the problems that we faced. There is no separate team for maintenance.

This is an open-source product so there is no cost other than manpower.

We conducted a PoC using UiPath for RPA. We are planning to try using Tricentis Tosca for codeless automation. We are continuing with our evaluation and ultimately, want to find the best tool.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Selenium HQ is that if there is a timeframe that is separate from the automation then it is suitable. However, if there is no timeframe and the issue does not fit into the automation, and it needs to be adapted manually, then this product is not a good choice.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Bartosz Radziszewski
Managing Partner at Business Dialog
A stable and scalable browser-based regression automation suite, but it would be better if it was more user-friendly for business users

• "I like its simplicity."
  • "It would be better if it accommodated non-techy end-users. I think it's still a product for developers. That's why it's not common for end-users, and especially for RPA activities or tasks. It's hard to automate tasks for end-users. If it will be easier, more user-friendly, and so on, perhaps it can be more interesting for this kind of user."

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of information that we are putting on different websites and social media platforms because we need to inform our social network users about what we are doing, what we are planning to do, and what was done. Sometimes, it's information which is the same, or it's the same on different websites, in different web software, and so on. I am using Selenium mostly for this purpose.

What is most valuable?

I like its simplicity.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it accommodated non-techy end-users. I think it's still a product for developers. That's why it's not common for end-users, and especially for RPA activities or tasks. It's hard to automate tasks for end-users. If it will be easier, more user-friendly, and so on, perhaps it can be more interesting for this kind of user.

The second thing, when you are working in IT, you know about such tools. But if you are on the business side, you don't have much information at all.

I would like to see easy onboarding with training for end-users. Because there is a lot of stuff for developers, but for end-users, I would say none or approximately none.

I've been using Selenium HQ for five years.

I didn't have problems with stability.

I didn't have problems with scalability.

The initial setup is complex. I think some changes were done, but it's still too complicated for end-users.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to contact their IT guys because they will have a problem setting up the first automation. Of course, if there are people like me who want to develop their own knowledge, I would say they need time to get to know how to use it, optimize the process, etc.

But if not, it will be easier for end-users to start with some kind of RPA offering by different vendors because they have their tools prepared for the end-users, for onboarding, and so on.
Because these open-source tools are still tools made for developers and IT guys, not for end-user.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Selenium HQ a six.

LokeshKumar
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great for working on multiple browsers and platforms

• "Has a good Workday application that enables us to handle some of the custom controls."
  • "The stop control needs to be improved with a configuration tool to enable desktop support."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the company's managing director and we are customers of Selenium.

What is most valuable?

It enables us to handle some of the custom controls of Ajax calls to Selenium and Selenium Grid for parallel execution on different versions of the application and on different platform.

What needs improvement?

The Selenium stop control has been a challenge. We use auto IT for handling some of the small controls, small scenarios on the desktop, it needs to be improved with a configuration tool where it can handle desktop support as well as Ajax controls. Basically, there needs to be an improvement in handling the Ajax custom controls because the inbuilt method is not very helpful in that respect.

I've been using this solution for almost five years.

This is a stable and reliable solution for web applications, there is no doubt since it's an open-source tool, it's recommended for any web application. We used GitHub and Jenkins for continuous integration and everything is available online, we have experience working with the Jenkins version controls and configuration tools.

We use Google or blogs for any problems. There are sometimes delays and if we are moving into a new Chrome version or a new Firefox version, there can be delays of up to a couple of days to figure out the plugins and there's no immediate support available. We need to wait till something turns up on the internet.

We've been using Selenium for a long time and haven't had many issues; we knew how to configure it. It's not completely straightforward and implementation takes time but everything was available on the internet and the blogs. There's a lot of documentation available regarding deployment.

We're using the open source version. We don't have any support from Selenium HQ.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. If working on multiple browsers and on multiple platforms is the goal, then Selenium is definitely the right tool because it works on Windows as well as on Linux. It also supports multiple browsers.

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

AH
Automation Lead - Robotic Process Automation at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
There is a lot of community support available but it needs standardized frameworks to build automation

• "I like that it is a robust and free open source. There is a lot of community support available, and there are a lot of developers using them. There's good community support."
  • "There should be standardized frameworks to build automation."

What is most valuable?

I like that it is a robust and free open source. There is a lot of community support available, and there are a lot of developers using them. There's good community support.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, there should be standardized frameworks, which do not exist. Currently, you have to first sit down and look inward. This function is provided by some tools like Katalon.

There should be standardized frameworks to build automation.

I have been using Selenium for five to six years.

We also use Sauce Labs. We do testing on various versions of browsers, and various operating systems for Android and Apple. So Sauce Labs provided that capability, where we can easily scale up our testing to test on various versions.

The scalability and stability are quite good. It is easily scalable. With a few pieces of code, it's scalable.

We have interacted on the Selenium forums a couple of times but never contacted the technical support.

We also use Sauce Labs.

We set up the entire framework around how the tests would be and different class structures. Then we evaluated how to construct labs and how to title execution and stuff like that. It took us good four to five months of two or three people working on it, to set up a robust framework.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using it for the automation test, automation is generally good. If you have an experienced developer, it will be really good to deploy the open-source frameworks for Selenium.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Not a ten because they don't come loaded with the frameworks or different framework options. You have to build it from scratch. The build-in comes with a lot of networks and libraries and stuff. You still need to build that framework before you start writing the code

They try to come up with new features. I think they're in a very good space.

Amr EL Tahan
Software QA Lead at Ajman Municipality
Good community support, is scalable, and stable but the GUI needs improvement

• "The grids, as well as the selectors, are the most valuable features."
  • "It would be very helpful to be able to write scripts in a GUI, rather than depend so heavily on the command line."

What is our primary use case?

Selenium HQ is used by our organization to automate test scripts for our applications as well as to automate or regression tests carried out during software development.

What is most valuable?

The grids, as well as the selectors, are the most valuable features.

The ease of use for the whole tool.

What needs improvement?

I would like more usability and ease of use.

The graphical interface could be improved. It would be very helpful to be able to write scripts in a GUI, rather than depend so heavily on the command line.

I have been using Selenium HQ in my department for three years.

Selenium HQ is a stable product.

It is easy to scale Selenium HQ.

We have five members in our Quality Assurance team, and three are dedicated to Selenium.

We have plans to increase our usage in Selenium but the issue is time.

We have not contacted technical support. In a Google search, you can find the help you need. It's an open community.

We worked with other solutions previously and changed to Selenium because of the cost of the license.

We are also using Microsoft Team Foundation (TFS), which is now known as Azure DevOps. We are upgrading to DevOps.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took half a day to deploy.

One person is enough to maintain this solution.

We completed the installation and deployment internally.

The cost of the license is better than other solutions. Selenium is a free tool. It's open-source.

To date, we have not paid any additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using Selenium with Python, it will be helpful.

I would rate Selenium HQ a seven out of ten.

Download our free Selenium HQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.