Selenium HQ Overview

Selenium HQ is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Eggplant Digital Automation Intelligence: Selenium HQ vs Eggplant Digital Automation Intelligence

What is Selenium HQ?

Selenium HQ is a suite of tools to automate web browsers across many platforms. Selenium runs in many browsers and operating systems and can be controlled by many programming languages and testing frameworks. Selenium consist of two types:

1. Selenium WebDriver - create robust, browser-based regression automation suites & tests and scale & distribute scripts across many environments.
  2. Selenium IDE - create quick bug reproduction scripts and create scripts to aid in automation-aided exploratory testing.

Selenium HQ is also known as SeleniumHQ.

Selenium HQ Buyer's Guide

Download the Selenium HQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Selenium HQ Customers

BrowserStack, Sauce Labs, experitest, Tricentis GmbH, SmartBear Software

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JJ
Quality Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The primary benefit is its cost and the ability to use the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are using mobile application and functional testing. It performs pretty well. We are using Selenium for scripting. We use Sauce Labs for the hardware device coverage on the client side.

• "The primary benefit is its cost and the ability to use the cloud."
  • "It does require a programming skill set. I would like the product not to require a heavy programming skill set and be more user-friendly for someone without a programming background."

What other advice do I have?

I don’t see it as a company spending money on anything. I like to keep up with the market because I built my career around test automation. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Ease of implementation * Ease of adaptability * How much skill set would be required to operate it. Can I take somebody with no programming background and get them up and running on it, or does it require a heavy-duty programming background?
SG
Principal Consultant at Digital Web Advisors Pvt Ltd
Without this tool, the software license required to accomplish our testing would have thrown us out of business

What is our primary use case?

We primarily have been using Selenium WebDriver for functional and regression testing of our business management platform. Our technology stack includes Apache HTTP, Tomcat, PostgreSQL, CentOS, Java, J2EE, JavaScript, and Eclipse. Plus, we are using Selenium WebDrivers and TestNG for testing with Firefox and Chrome.

• "Our platform runs into several thousand screens and a few thousand test cases, something which would typically take months to test manually. As of today, the entire process takes a little over two days to run."
  • "In the beginning, we had issues with several test cases failing during regression. Over a period of time, we built our own framework around Selenium which helped us overcome of these issues."
  • "Improvement in Selenium's ability to identify and wait for the page/element to load would be a big plus. This would ensure that our failed test cases will drop by 60%."

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it.
Learn what your peers think about Selenium HQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Engenheiro de automação de teste at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees

What is our primary use case?

I have used Selenium in many test automation projects from web report applications to internet banking.

• "Selenium has helped to complete tests in less time, which would not be possible relying on manual testing only."
  • "It is programming language agnostic, you can write tests in most currently used languages."
  • "It has helped to complete tests in less time, which would not be possible relying on manual testing only."
  • "It would be very great if Selenium would provide some framework examples so newcomers could get started more quickly."
  • "​To simplify the development process, everyone needs to do a Selenium Framework to acquire the web application functions and features from Selenium methods."
Test Automation Lead/Consultant at Aspire Systems
It replaces manual regression testing, reducing testing time due to its cross-browser, parallel, and remote executions. But, it needs more support for IE and Safari.

What is our primary use case?

We took Selenium for web product test automation and as it very well suits as it has capacity to execute in different browser, different environment. Also it has lot other capacities to scale up test automation and yield better ROI.
Senior Automation Test Developer/Automation Test Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
BrowserStack and Sauce Labs work with it. It also can work with most of programming languages.

What is our primary use case?

We use it to make our UI functional tests, layout test, and any tests related to the browsers.

• "It supports most of the mainstream browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, IE and etc."
  • "It is not easy to make IE plus Selenium work good as other browsers. Firefox and Chrome are the best ones to work with Selenium."
Project Engineer at Mathworks India Pvt Ltd
We started automating the browser and have done load testing for light applications.

What is most valuable?

Selenium web driver - Java.

How has it helped my organization?

As traditional load testing we use some expensive tools available in the market, but with the help of Selenium we started automating the browser and done load testing for light application.

What needs improvement?

Handling frames and windows needs to be improved.

I've been using it for one year.

9/10

Straightforward by using…
Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Since it supports Java and other programming languages, it is easy to integrate with other systems.

• "Language support - since it supports Java and other programming languages it is easy to integrate with other systems."
  • "There is no good tool to find the Xpath. They should provide a good tool to find Xpath for dynamic elements and integrate API (REST/ SOAP) testing support."

What other advice do I have?

You just need to choose the solution which best suites for you.
Selenium Automation Engineer at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
​I would advise you that it's a good tool to automate UI.

What is most valuable?

All the features in Selenium to automate the UI.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced license cost

I've used it for four years.

5/10

5/10

Selenium Grid set-up is bit complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you that it's a good tool to automate UI. There have been issues in the product.
QA Test Lead at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides Freedom To Choose The Tools Needed For Full-Fledged Automation Framework

• "The ability to present your tests on a wiki page and hooking them up to the scripts/fixtures."
  • "Selenium could offer better ways to record and create scripts. IDE is available, however, it can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

If you have a web application, I would strongly recommend this, as it has a lot of benefits as described above.
QA Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Free to use and is not limited to any scripting language

• "Selenium WebDriver and Selenium IDE are useful."
  • "Selenium has room for improvement as it does not support the tests and result-sharing in anything but a manual way."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to use Selenium WebDriver and to understand all the packages useful for their project.
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
​It supports most of the actions that a user would do on a website.​​

What is most valuable?

It supports most of the actions that a user would do on a website.

How has it helped my organization?

Automates more than 5000 test cases and takes around 30-36 hours by which it reduces the manual effort of one QA person in 20-25 days.

What needs improvement?

More than 2 Years

More than 2 Years.

Yes, with Internet Explorer only.

So far, No.

There are large forums available and their support staff were awesome.

Straightforward. But I would say the complexity will depend on the framework you create.

What's my

Senior Test Analyst at a maritime company with 51-200 employees
Testers do not need to be technical. You can use forums for any issues that arise.

What other advice do I have?

If you are testing websites, this is a great tool. It is easy to use, even without much coding knowledge. Testers do not need to be very technical to start creating useful test cases.
Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) at KUKA Robotics
Regression tests for multiple browsers are now automated.
Test Automation Project Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has good support to extend and integrate with other automation tools like Jmeter & OWASP ZAP.
Selenium Specialist at BrowserStack
It makes life easy when it comes to writing test cases.​

What other advice do I have?

There's nothing much to complain about Selenium, barring a few shortcomings. The Selenium IDE plugin – http://www.seleniumhq.org/projects/ide/, records your clicks and you can export this recorded test case to code in Java, C# etc. Though the converted code is not entirely stable, it certainly makes life easy when it comes to writing test cases.
QA Automation Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
An overview of the Selenium Suite
Selenium is an open-source browser automation suite consisting of three parts: WebDriver, Server/Grid, and IDE. The IDE portion s useful for doing quick recordings of steps, but the resulting scripts are extremely fragile. This portion is also slated for deprecation with the upcoming release of Selenium 3.0. The remaining two-thirds of the suite are the most useful parts of this product. The WebDriver API is the interface used to control browsers. Most popular browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc.) are supported either directly or through secondary server interfaces that are available via the SeleniumHQ.org website. The ability to write tests that can be used cross-browser and cross-platform is one of the most valuable aspects of this product. In addition to being a…
Software Engineering Intern at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
There were ​no issues with the stability.

Valuable Features

They are working on a new product which gives you an opportunity to test your product with different browsers at the same time.

Room for Improvement

They pay version is expensive, and I found it difficulot to implement.

Use of Solution

I used the free trial for 14 days.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

There were no issues with the scalability.

Customer Service: 10/10 Technical Support: 7/10

At the beginning, it was difficult to implement then it works.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The free option is very limited, but the pay version is expensive.
Senior Director, Software Development and Testing at Softcrylic
It gives us the ability to execute tests in parallel which provides time savings for testing.

What other advice do I have?

I would say start lean, gain small wins and incrementally add more. Example: Start automating test cases for one browser and slow expand to multiple browsers.
Associate Architect -Test Automation with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's language and environment compatible.

What other advice do I have?

You'll be good to go with this.
QA Manager at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
The cross browser testing functionality helped us to find issues quicker in specific browsers.

What other advice do I have?

The product has record and play back tool but it is always better to write your own code and implement the framework.
QA Expert at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It provides us simple objects recognition and multi-language support.

What is most valuable?

Simple objects recognition It's easy to use Multi-language support Open source with good support A lot of information and help online

What needs improvement?

Selenium IDE needs to be improved not like just an record / play back tool, but as effective web elements spy. TestNG has more support, and also has ntegration with Appium and Jmeter which Selenium misses.

I've been using it for 10 years, since 2005.

Throughout the last five years, I have not had any difficulty to install or set-up Webdriver.

This is an open source, so some issues are always pop[ing up , but compared to other open source…
Test Automation Engineer at a security firm with 51-200 employees
The parallel batch execution as well as reporting feature in the tests are very valuable to me.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We are using this product to do regression testing. In this way it has improved the quality of our product.

What needs improvement?

As of now I can't see anything which needs to be improved but once I am through with Selenium, will let you know.

I've been using it for one year and two months.

I have not had any issues with the deployment.

I have not had any issues with the stability.

I have not had any issues with…
QA Test Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
CI can be achieved with tools like Jenkins. Like QTP, there should be an option to run the test from a point or state of application.

What other advice do I have?

An engineer from any background can learn and build automation easily.
QA Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Building an automation framework can be used easily across teams with minimal training.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing an automation tool for Quality assurance has become the latest trend in many organisations. * The biggest challenge is to identify whether there is really a need for an automation tool. Incorporating automation requires a robust product which undergoes minimal changes during its lifetime otherwise the automation scripts would require constant change. * Selenium only supports web based applications and it is not suitable for testing small sized products which can be easily tested manually. The effort in incorporating an automation framework would be larger than testing it manually…
Senior Automation QA, Automation Expert at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It allows us to write frameworks using object-oriented programming languages like Java.

What other advice do I have?

To use Selenium WebDriver effectively user should have good knowledge of programming language, this is one of the main complexity. Using Selenium you have to write test framework using your favourite language and some additional tools should be used also (like Jenkins for CI and reports), this is the first step which should be done.
Independent Consultant/Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It has the ability to test on all of the major web browsers.

What other advice do I have?

Learn how to use the “Page Model” approach to creating tests. If you code direct to the Selenium API and don’t using the Page Model, as things change in your web application, it will become more and more difficult to update your test to reflect the changes.
Selenium Test lead automation engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
​I can run a set of regression test cases with every release to QA.

What is most valuable?

I can easily integrate with TestNG and Maven. Also I am able to set servers and hubs to execute my test case against

How has it helped my organization?

I can run a set of regression test cases with every release to QA.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to capture HTML header information but I have not been able to do that yet

I've used it for three years.

There were no issues during deployment.

Currently WebDriver is having issues running against the latest of Firefox.

There have been no issues scaling it out.

How are customer

Junior Quality Assurance Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
It allowed us to be assured that basic functionality works fine and to be informed about bugs quickly.

What other advice do I have?

Please remember it is just a tool and not everything can be automized.
Automation Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is now being implemented for testing in many browsers.

What other advice do I have?

A few features such as synchronization techniques, cross-browser coding, and customized reporting need to be implemented.
Test Automation Trainer at a training & coaching company with 51-200 employees
It can be used together with other frameworks for unit testing (JUNIT, TestNG), reporting (Allure), screenshot (aShot).
QA Lead at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
It allows us to verify user flows effectively and very easily. I can use any web browser to assert user flows.
IT Principal Analyst at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
We got faster server response times by using its automation tools for our website.
Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
With Selenium WebDriver you can create robust, browser-based regression automation suites and tests, scale and distribute scripts across many environments.

What other advice do I have?

It's an open source product, (probably) the most popular one in a whole software test automation industry. Although it's free and open source it has good support and great integration with different technologies. If you have a good QA team with engineers which have strong technical background and experience in software development I would definitely recommend you Selenium WebDriver. It offers everything you need, you can make your own framework and architecture, based on your business and technical needs. If you have non-technical QA team and you want test automation - Selenium WebDriver is…
Lead Automation Architect at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are now able to execute 3000 test cases in less than one hour.

What is most valuable?

Videos of test cases Scalable multi threading test execution

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to execute 3000 test cases in less than one hour. This is a great milestone for us.

What needs improvement?

It needs more support for mobile devices and also on testing web services.

I've used it for four years.Videos of test cases + Scalable multi threading test execution.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Test Automation Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's provided shorter testing cycles, and saves a lot of time and mental health for manual testers, but it needs better stability for Internet Explorer.

What other advice do I have?

The library is nicely done. The webdriver communication with the browser is not perfect, though, especially IE. The longer the test is the higher the chance it will break down. It's impossible to reach 100% stability with more complicated tests. Very likely that the problem lies within Internet Explorer, not within the webdriver. Very good for testers with programming experience and web developers, not so much for regular testers, unless they are given a “ready” framework and shown how to write tests.
Software Engineering Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We have been able to fix many browser related issues in the application before deployment, but I've seen latency issues in IE while executing scripts.
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Web applications functional test automation tool suite with ability integrate with many programming languages

What other advice do I have?

If you don’t have a budget, go with Selenium because it has a huge community and the versions are constantly updated. Also, it supports latest browers most of the time, and major competitors are using it. It’s reliable and extendable. When it comes to performance testing, you can use the same code for both Selenium and JMeter.
QA Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
We use it as a base product for automation, reducing the time for regression testing and improving the quality that we deliver.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it.
Download our free Selenium HQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.