Selenium HQ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Selenium HQ is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Eggplant Digital Automation Intelligence: Selenium HQ vs Eggplant Digital Automation Intelligence

What is Selenium HQ?

Selenium HQ is a suite of tools to automate web browsers across many platforms. Selenium runs in many browsers and operating systems and can be controlled by many programming languages and testing frameworks. Selenium consist of two types:

1. Selenium WebDriver - create robust, browser-based regression automation suites & tests and scale & distribute scripts across many environments.
  2. Selenium IDE - create quick bug reproduction scripts and create scripts to aid in automation-aided exploratory testing.

Selenium HQ is also known as SeleniumHQ.

Selenium HQ Buyer's Guide

Download the Selenium HQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Selenium HQ Customers

BrowserStack, Sauce Labs, experitest, Tricentis GmbH, SmartBear Software

Archived Selenium HQ Reviews (more than two years old)

JJ
Quality Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The primary benefit is its cost and the ability to use the cloud

• "The primary benefit is its cost and the ability to use the cloud."
  • "It does require a programming skill set. I would like the product not to require a heavy programming skill set and be more user-friendly for someone without a programming background."

What is our primary use case?

We are using mobile application and functional testing. It performs pretty well.

We are using Selenium for scripting. We use Sauce Labs for the hardware device coverage on the client side.

How has it helped my organization?

The primary benefit is its cost and the ability to use the cloud.

We use it with Sauce Labs. So, we have a large base of real devices and emulators, as well as breadth of coverage.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility
  • Scalability

What needs improvement?

It does require a programming skill set. I would like the product not to require a heavy programming skill set and be more user-friendly for someone without a programming background.

So far, I have not have any issues with its stability.

Technical support is one of the downsides of it. When you are buying a commercial tool from a vendor, your technical support is readily available but you are paying for it. However, they're going to take care of you. When you're dealing with open source, your support is based on research that you can do on the Internet. You rely on somebody else having had the same experience or one of the developers of the code having put something out there on the subject.

This product is open source and free. That was a huge deciding factor for us getting into it.

What other advice do I have?

I don’t see it as a company spending money on anything. I like to keep up with the market because I built my career around test automation.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Ease of implementation
  • Ease of adaptability
  • How much skill set would be required to operate it. Can I take somebody with no programming background and get them up and running on it, or does it require a heavy-duty programming background?
SG
Principal Consultant at Digital Web Advisors Pvt Ltd
Without this tool, the software license required to accomplish our testing would have thrown us out of business

• "Our platform runs into several thousand screens and a few thousand test cases, something which would typically take months to test manually. As of today, the entire process takes a little over two days to run."
  • "In the beginning, we had issues with several test cases failing during regression. Over a period of time, we built our own framework around Selenium which helped us overcome of these issues."
  • "Improvement in Selenium's ability to identify and wait for the page/element to load would be a big plus. This would ensure that our failed test cases will drop by 60%."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily have been using Selenium WebDriver for functional and regression testing of our business management platform.

Our technology stack includes Apache HTTP, Tomcat, PostgreSQL, CentOS, Java, J2EE, JavaScript, and Eclipse. Plus, we are using Selenium WebDrivers and TestNG for testing with Firefox and Chrome.

How has it helped my organization?

Our platform runs into several thousand screens and a few thousand test cases, something which would typically take months to test manually. However, we have been using Selenium to automate our testing process since day one. As of today, the entire process takes a little over two days to run. We plan to further optimize it and bring this duration down to about 12 hours.

We plan to integrate Selenium with JMeter for performance testing, too.

What is most valuable?

WebDriver and Grid: Without these, we would have been nowhere so far. The shear size of team/software license required to accomplish this humongous task would have thrown us out of business.

What needs improvement?

Improvement in Selenium's ability to identify and wait for the page/element to load would be a big plus. This would ensure that our failed test cases will drop by 60%. Introduction of FluentWait has improved things, but it does not work in all scenarios

Three to five years.

I have had experience with Rational tools in the past, but with DWA Commerce, we wanted to go the open source route.

We have had extensive experience in testing and have pretty much worked with most testing solutions. Therefore, we did not have to go in for a re-evaluation. Our choice was clear.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it.

Learn what your peers think about Selenium HQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Engenheiro de automação de teste at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees

• "Selenium has helped to complete tests in less time, which would not be possible relying on manual testing only."
  • "It is programming language agnostic, you can write tests in most currently used languages."
  • "It has helped to complete tests in less time, which would not be possible relying on manual testing only."
  • "It would be very great if Selenium would provide some framework examples so newcomers could get started more quickly."
  • "​To simplify the development process, everyone needs to do a Selenium Framework to acquire the web application functions and features from Selenium methods."

What is our primary use case?

I have used Selenium in many test automation projects from web report applications to internet banking.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Compatibility with all major browsers; it has become the industry standard.

What needs improvement?

• To simplify the development process, everyone needs to do a Selenium Framework to acquire the web application functions and features from Selenium methods.
  • It would be very great if Selenium would provide some framework examples so newcomers could get started more quickly.

Three to five years.
Deva Veluchamy
Test Automation Lead/Consultant at Aspire Systems
It replaces manual regression testing, reducing testing time due to its cross-browser, parallel, and remote executions. But, it needs more support for IE and Safari.

What is our primary use case?

We took Selenium for web product test automation and as it very well suits as it has capacity to execute in different browser, different environment. Also it has lot other capacities to scale up test automation and yield better ROI.

How has it helped my organization?

Web-based application automation are mostly done using Selenium. It's the right automation tool as a replacement for manual regression testing that indispensably reduces the testing time due to its cross-browser, parallel, and remote executions.

What is most valuable?

- Most importantly, it is an open source tool.

- Parallel executions (same browser in parallel, different browser in parallel).

- Remote executions using Node and Hub.

- Integration with CI tools like Jenkins

- Multi-platform support (for details have a look at http://www.seleniumhq.org/about/platforms.jsp).

- Cross-browser Support (Chrome, Firefox, different versions of IE, Safari, Opera).

- Supported environments are Windows, Linux & Mac.

- Supports different scripting languages (JAVA, C#, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Objective C, Javascript).

- Huge user community.

What needs improvement?

It has extensive support for Chrome and Firefox, but more is needed for IE, Edge and Safari.

To some extent it is unstable while executing against different versions of IE browser, but that could be overcome through some work-around and framework design. Edge browser executions are not stable as IE browsers.

Obviously, we have better support from various users as it is an open source tool. We have a huge number of customers in the open community at different levels to provide support.

Basically, to start with setup is straightforward and easier. If you use the remote web-driver, it is slightly complex to make the setup.

Our in-house team is used for the entire implementation of the framework. Being open-source, lot of valuable additions are made in a free-flow while developing the framework.

It's an open source tool.

Senior Automation Test Developer/Automation Test Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
BrowserStack and Sauce Labs work with it. It also can work with most of programming languages.

• "It supports most of the mainstream browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, IE and etc."
  • "It is not easy to make IE plus Selenium work good as other browsers. Firefox and Chrome are the best ones to work with Selenium."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to make our UI functional tests, layout test, and any tests related to the browsers.

How has it helped my organization?

1. We have automation tests (API, UI, unit, integration tests, and etc.). It saves on our manual QA time.
  2. It reduces our manual QA repeatable works.
  3. It saves our manual QA's energy.
  4. The QA time move from manual QA to automation QA, and improve the relationship between developer and QA, Since automation tests make them work closer.
  5. QA becomes more technical and love to know more about technical and architecture of the code such as they have to use GitHub, CI system, servers, and etc.
  6. QA know more about tests such as unit tests, integration tests, and Selenium UI tests.
  7. Make QA life much fun/easier.
  8. Deduce the developers work such as automation QA/developer develops the test library and test framework, both developer and QA, some times, PM also can develop their own tests by using the test library and test framework.

What is most valuable?

1. Selenium is a good tool to do UI testing
  2. It works with many popular programming languages such as Java, JavaScript and etc.
  3. It supports most of the mainstream browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, IE and etc.
  4. It supports mobile local application as well and work with Appium.
  5. It is free.
  6. Selenium grid is a wonderful tool.
  7. BrowserStack and Sauce Labs work with Selenium.
  8. Headless browser, such as Xvfb and PhantomJS, can work with Selenium as well.
  9. Selenium works with CI system such as TeamCity, Jenkins, and CircleCI.
  10. Selenium can work with most programming languages. I use Java more as I am really comfortable using it.
  11. I do not use Selenium IDE, but it can help the beginner to learn how to find the elements by XPath, CSS selector, and etc.
  12. New geckodriver in new version of Selenium.
  13. It is able to work with Galen test framework to do layout test.

What needs improvement?

1. Stability.
  2. Documentation, the Java doc description for most of the API is almost empty. No example with no detail.
  3. It is not easy to make IE plus Selenium work good as other browsers. Firefox and Chrome are the best ones to work with Selenium.
  4. Java gets a lot of supports. Python as well. However, it seems not PHP. It is amazing, and Selenium can work with a lot of programming languages.
  5. Firefox IDE tool needs to be improved.

Some times with timeout issues.

When your tests number increases, driver manager and Selenium Grid performance become important.

There are a lot of test frameworks that support Selenium.

Saurabh Chauhan
Project Engineer at Mathworks India Pvt Ltd
We started automating the browser and have done load testing for light applications.

What is most valuable?

Selenium web driver - Java.

How has it helped my organization?

As traditional load testing we use some expensive tools available in the market, but with the help of Selenium we started automating the browser and done load testing for light application.

What needs improvement?

Handling frames and windows needs to be improved.

I've been using it for one year.

9/10

Straightforward by using…

What is most valuable?

Selenium web driver - Java.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Handling frames and windows needs to be improved.

I've been using it for one year.

9/10

Straightforward by using Selenium IDE.

We did an in-house implementation, doing our R&D over the internet.

Hot tool in market. Makes thing easier to use and implement. Demand increases cost.

Since it is an open source. It is free to use. However my company see it as the future of load testing.

What other advice do I have?

You'll have a lot to do when automating many different applications. Just practice.

it_user373965
Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Since it supports Java and other programming languages, it is easy to integrate with other systems.

• "Language support - since it supports Java and other programming languages it is easy to integrate with other systems."
  • "There is no good tool to find the Xpath. They should provide a good tool to find Xpath for dynamic elements and integrate API (REST/ SOAP) testing support."

What is most valuable?

• Support for UI Automation
  • Language support - since it supports Java and other programming languages it is easy to integrate with other systems
  • Multiple browser support
  • Selenium Grid supports the execution of test case in distributed way

How has it helped my organization?

• It's open-source, so there's no need to pay for a license
  • Support different programming language hence DevOps and QA work together to built better test suite
  • Since it is a lightweight tool, hence it helps in running test cases fast

What needs improvement?

There is no good tool to find the Xpath. They should provide a good tool to find Xpath for dynamic elements and integrate API (REST/ SOAP) testing support.

I've been using it for five years.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

I have used Silk Test and QTP before using Selenium. The reason for choosing the product can be found in answer 4 and 5.

I used SilkTest and QTP before using Selenium

It was easy to set-up.

We did it in-house one, you choose the solution which best suite your needs. Don’t spend to much time in building robust solution unless it is really required.

I have invested my time in learning the tool and got good recognition for creating automation framework. It can continue to run as open source tool.

What other advice do I have?

You just need to choose the solution which best suites for you.

Selenium Automation Engineer at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
​I would advise you that it's a good tool to automate UI.

What is most valuable?

All the features in Selenium to automate the UI.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced license cost

I've used it for four years.

5/10

Selenium Grid set-up is bit complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you that it's a good tool to automate UI. There have been issues in the product.

What is most valuable?

All the features in Selenium to automate the UI.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced license cost

I've used it for four years.

5/10

Selenium Grid set-up is bit complex.

it_user542793
QA Test Lead at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides Freedom To Choose The Tools Needed For Full-Fledged Automation Framework

• "The ability to present your tests on a wiki page and hooking them up to the scripts/fixtures."
  • "Selenium could offer better ways to record and create scripts. IDE is available, however, it can be improved."

What is most valuable?

FitNesse: The ability to present your tests on a wiki page and hooking them up to the scripts/fixtures. This is an amazing feature as you could literally ask your product owner, business analysts/developers to go to wiki and see all tests that are written and running automatically. Using the Gherkin format this can be very user readable, and one can also run those tests from the wiki themselves. They can even write their own tests using the available functions. Can easily be connected to Jenkins as well.

Selenium: The part with Selenium I like the most is the ability to parse and select an element from DOM. The various selectors make the job easier! At the same time one has to be careful of the selectors one uses, as it can make performance inefficient. With Selenium, one has a lot of freedom to choose the rest of the tools needed to make a full-fledged automation framework. You can use Cucumber/testing/JUnit as your test engine. You can use something else for reporting, etc., etc. It's available in so many languages, so you can choose the one which is close to your application. It’s not like a separate tool with its own scripting framework lying and maintained on the side. If your application is in Java, you can also choose Java for Selenium. If its C#, you can choose C# for Selenium. So your developers can also contribute to your framework and code.

How has it helped my organization?

It has largely improved our efficiency in QA. So every regression we don’t have to run a lot of repeatable test cases for which the flow didn’t change. However they are important to execute, so automation helps us there. Daily Smoke runs and weekly regression runs ensure that Build is continuously tested, which helps in Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery. I must be cautious here: You cannot automate everything as you still need the exploratory and cognitive behavior of a human being. So a part of testing over releases will still be manual. Efficiency can be achieved on repeatable tasks, which is still quite a gain.

About four years.

No issues with stability. The Selenium community maintains it well.

Depends on the hardware we choose to host the automation scripts. No issues there.

There is enough material on the internet and the community answers questions/problems pretty fast. So, very good!

In the past I have used HPE QuickTest Pro, now ALM. Also Coded UI. However, Selenium is better for web applications, although the others provide more versatility in terms of supporting more than just web applications! They come with their license fees as well.

As Selenium is just a library, you have to build the whole framework around it yourself. There are enough templates available on internet to give you a head start, though.

There is no pricing cost. License is Apache License 2.0.

Ours is a web application and, considering my experience with other tools, our choice was easier. We did try Protractor and Jasmine, however Protractor is also based on Selenium. It works better with angular pages. For us, Selenium was enough and we want to use FitNesse.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a web application, I would strongly recommend this, as it has a lot of benefits as described above.

QA Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Free to use and is not limited to any scripting language

• "Selenium WebDriver and Selenium IDE are useful."
  • "Selenium has room for improvement as it does not support the tests and result-sharing in anything but a manual way."

What is most valuable?

Selenium WebDriver and Selenium IDE are useful.

Selenium IDE is able to record and playback. It was useful for me when I did not know coding. Selenium WebDriver has got packages which help in automating test cases.

The best part of Selenium WebDriver is that it supports multiple web browsers, thus, helping in cross-browser testing.

It is free to use and is not limited to any scripting language.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization as automating the test cases is much easier and faster now. It covers a wide range of test cases and in many browsers.

What needs improvement?

I have been using it for six months now.

There were some stability issues with Selenium. Sometimes my tests were not stable.

I have scalability issues with Selenium.

I did not use any technical support other than the help from my colleagues.

I have used Tricentis Tosca before, but I find Selenium much better as it is an open source tool and free to use.

The initial setup wasn't easy as I didn't know what packages to use and which ones were useful for my project.

Pricing: It is free to use.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to use Selenium WebDriver and to understand all the packages useful for their project.

Adarsh Em
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
​It supports most of the actions that a user would do on a website.​​

What is most valuable?

It supports most of the actions that a user would do on a website.

How has it helped my organization?

Automates more than 5000 test cases and takes around 30-36 hours by which it reduces the manual effort of one QA person in 20-25 days.

What needs improvement?

More than 2 Years

More than 2 Years.

Yes, with Internet Explorer only.

So far, No.

There are large forums available and their support staff were awesome.

Straightforward. But I would say the complexity will depend on the framework you create.

What's my

What is most valuable?

It supports most of the actions that a user would do on a website.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

More than 2 Years

More than 2 Years.

Yes, with Internet Explorer only.

So far, No.

There are large forums available and their support staff were awesome.

It's free!

Yes, Sahi Pro was on the list.

What other advice do I have?

The tool supports most of the features you want to automate and the stability of the executions is good too. And finally, it's free!

Senior Test Analyst at a maritime company with 51-200 employees
Testers do not need to be technical. You can use forums for any issues that arise.

What is most valuable?

Some valuable features are that it is easy to use and the ability to use forums for any issues that arise.

How has it helped my organization?

Regression testing time was greatly reduced, following implementation of Selenium automated test suites.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, without codes or tests being altered, errors would result. This was often due to the speed at which the test was run. Therefore, I would say robustness is an area for improvement.

I have used this product for five years.

This product is easy to deploy.

I did encounter some stability issues. So, I found it was better to run automation scripts at slower speeds to get consistent results.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I did not contact customer service.

The beauty of Selenium is that since many people use it, technical questions can be quickly answered in many available online forums.

I have not used any other solution before.

The setup was a straightforward process. It was easy to download the latest version from the website.

We implemented this product in-house.

Regression testing could be completed within hours at the end of each sprint, rather than taking days of manual testing.

This is an open source, so this product was free.

We have not evaluated any other options.

What other advice do I have?

If you are testing websites, this is a great tool. It is easy to use, even without much coding knowledge. Testers do not need to be very technical to start creating useful test cases.

Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) at KUKA Robotics
Regression tests for multiple browsers are now automated.

What is most valuable?

It's free and continuously improved e.g. support for mobile, and new browsers. Also special services allow remote cross-browser testing on desktop and mobile browser (such as BrowserStack or SauceLabs).

Also the automation of Microsoft Edge is supported, where as other tools are having issues.

How has it helped my organization?

Regression tests for multiple browsers are now automated robustly across all main browsers.

What needs improvement?

• Video controls of an embedded HTML5 video
  • AJAX/web 2.0 dynamic web content (though there is a framework called Protractor for Angular)
  • Better detection if a page has indeed finished loading

Never

Due to its high rate in releases sometimes working code cannot be executed after an upgrade due to a new feature or different behaviour.

Service is only available through a community (LinkedIn, Stackoverflow) but since this product is widely used you can always find a solution to your problem.

It was very straightforward, just one line of code, with two dependencies and you already have a browser up and running ready to be automated.

I made the concept and implementation myself.

No license necessary, but to get the best results it requires a Java Software Developer with WebDev-background and a tester attitude. Tests can be automated fairly quickly and across the main browsers therefore you can get results in less than a week.

Don’t forget the maintenance that is required to keep the framework running, therefore I would suggest the Page-Object-Model, to separate the test logic from the test object. Also you might wanna start on Chrome, it’s better supported.

Ranorex, Sahi, TestComplete, TestWhizz, QF-Test, WatiR, Squish, CodedUI

Saraswathi B
Test Automation Project Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has good support to extend and integrate with other automation tools like Jmeter & OWASP ZAP.

Valuable Features:

• It's open source tool (cost effective)
  • More Test Coverage through Multiple browser support(Chrome,FF,IE9,10,11,Opera,Safari and Edge(recently)
  • Scalable to extend and integrate with other Automation tools like Jmeter & OWASP ZAP, thus enable team to perform Fuctional, NonFunctional test(Performance, Security)
  • Can be integrated with CI tools like Jenkins
  • Can be integrated with builder tools like Maven & ANT
  • Can be extended to cloud environments (sauce labs)
  • Multiple platform support like windows, Linux and MAC
  • Can be used with different Automation frameworks like TDD,BDD and Hybrid
  • Remote script execution possible with Grid & node setup
  • Less Turnaround time with Parallel Executions
  • Easy to Learn & Mastering
  • Huge user community base and support
  • Support for version control tools like SVN and Git
  • Headless Browser support using HTMLUnit & PhantomJS drivers

Improvements to My Organization:

It is an awesome tool to use with great ROI, we have been using this tool extensively in most of our projects to reduce the manual regression efforts and to prevent production defects. Another beauty of this tool is to extend and integrate with other functional & non functional tools(Jmeter, OWASP ZAP, Appium ..etc.)

Recently we have implemented the Extended Reporting to support rich reporting structure with Charts,Dashboards that would be easy for stakeholders to Analyze and arrive at decisions.

Room for Improvement:

Compatibility issues with newer versions of browsers (IE & Firefox) and latest server versions, but this can be addressed with some workarounds.

Handling Windows based dialogs (or) performaning Non browser action can bit challenging, so far we are using AutoIT tool to perform this.

Rather QTP or any other Commercial tools, Selenium expects more Techinical(Prograaming) expertise, but other end this feature makes selenium more flexible

Deployment Issues:

We had compatibility issues with some newer versions of browsers.

it_user395031
Selenium Specialist at BrowserStack
It makes life easy when it comes to writing test cases.​

What is most valuable?

The whole code is available on the internet. This gives potential users the ability to modify the code as per their use case. It automates the entire manual testing process reducing testing time drastically. For instance, during my internship, we automated the entire Sanity and Regression testing suite and bought down the total testing time from one hour to five minutes.

How has it helped my organization?

Selenium has two uses in my company. Firstly, our QA team uses Selenium to automate their tests. Secondly, our product BrowserStack Automate is based over Selenium and lets you run any Selenium script on different browser and OS combinations.

What needs improvement?

Primarily there are improvements I can suggest:

• Its does not support AJAX requests
  • It is not optimized for testing on mobile devices

I have been working as a Selenium Specialist at BrowserStack for the past 20 months. I answer any Selenium related emails that our customers send us. Previously, I had used Selenium during my Internship at TCS.

Deployment is not applicable to Selenium.

Selenium is pretty stable, if not 100%.

Scalability is certainly possible. Selenium server can handle multiple tests running in parallel.

Working as Selenium tech support for BrowserStack, I wouldn’t be able to rate myself. However, the software being open source, the help on the internet is immense.

I haven't had to use any other products.

You need a basic understanding of the any particular language such as Java, C#, PHP to get started with Selenium. If yes, getting started with Selenium is pretty easy. Takes less than an half an hour to get started.

I have tried it myself. As I mentioned, a lot of resources are available on the internet regarding different approaches to use Selenium.

It’s open source and free.

What other advice do I have?

There's nothing much to complain about Selenium, barring a few shortcomings. The Selenium IDE plugin – http://www.seleniumhq.org/projects/ide/, records your clicks and you can export this recorded test case to code in Java, C# etc. Though the converted code is not entirely stable, it certainly makes life easy when it comes to writing test cases.

QA Automation Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
An overview of the Selenium Suite
Selenium is an open-source browser automation suite consisting of three parts: WebDriver, Server/Grid, and IDE. The IDE portion s useful for doing quick recordings of steps, but the resulting scripts are extremely fragile. This portion is also slated for deprecation with the upcoming release of Selenium 3.0. The remaining two-thirds of the suite are the most useful parts of this product. The WebDriver API is the interface used to control browsers. Most popular browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc.) are supported either directly or through secondary server interfaces that are available via the SeleniumHQ.org website. The ability to write tests that can be used cross-browser and cross-platform is one of the most valuable aspects of this product. In addition to being a…

The WebDriver API is the interface used to control browsers. Most popular browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc.) are supported either directly or through secondary server interfaces that are available via the SeleniumHQ.org website. The ability to write tests that can be used cross-browser and cross-platform is one of the most valuable aspects of this product. In addition to being a cross-platform solution, Selenium has been ported from the original Java to multiple languages including Python, Ruby, and C#, which makes it a feasible option regardless of the language most frequently used in your organization.

Selenium Server/Grid allows for controlling a browser on a remote machine. If a grid is implemented, the tests will provide information regarding the browser and environment needed and the hub will then direct the test to an appropriate node. When the test is completed, the results are return via the hub. Establishing an in-house grid can be costly and difficult to maintain if your product requires multiple OSs and browsers. To date, my experience has been limited to working within a local grid environment, but other options, such as SauceLabs, can be used to outsource the grid while keeping the test development in-house.

One drawback of Selenium is that is does require development experience in order to create tests are not fragile and can be reused. There are many resources to teach someone how to use the API and some recommended strategies, such as the Page Object Model. The testing framework can be developed to work with Cucumber front-end to allow non-developers to create tests using Given-When-Then scenarios.

In regards to pricing, the Selenium Suite is a free automation API. This means that the cost of implementation is limited to personnel time and hardware required. This is an excellent deal when you consider that the learning curve/employee time and hardware tend to be the same regardless of the product used.

While it isn't without faults, Selenium is probably the best and most versatile web testing tool available. I highly recommend it's use over any of the products I have used in the past.

Update for 2.49.1:

The version seems to be a bit buggy. I noticed a greater sensitivity to screen resolutions and intermittent issues connecting with Firefox over Selenium Grid. I was forced to revert to 2.45.0 by these instabilities. I have seen that 2.52.0 has been released, but I have not had time to review it.

Software Engineering Intern at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
There were ​no issues with the stability.

Valuable Features

They are working on a new product which gives you an opportunity to test your product with different browsers at the same time.

Room for Improvement

They pay version is expensive, and I found it difficulot to implement.

Use of Solution

I used the free trial for 14 days.

Customer Service: 10/10 Technical Support: 7/10

At the beginning, it was difficult to implement then it works.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The free option is very limited, but the pay version is expensive.

Valuable Features

Room for Improvement

They pay version is expensive, and I found it difficulot to implement.

Use of Solution

I used the free trial for 14 days.

10/10

7/10

At the beginning, it was difficult to implement then it works.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The free option is very limited, but the pay version is expensive.

Senior Director, Software Development and Testing at Softcrylic
It gives us the ability to execute tests in parallel which provides time savings for testing.

Valuable Features

• Automate test across several browsers such as IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
  • Write automation scripts in any language of your choice Java, C#, PHP, Python and many more
  • Ability to execute tests in parallel which provide time saving for testing
  • Ability to take screenshots of every tests
  • An open API that can be extended based on our needs
  • A Recorder Tool to record tests and execute them for non-developers

Improvements to My Organization

We provide IT services and solutions, and this solution helped our clients reduce their manual testing efforts to greater level. Our clients have realized benefits by reducing their testing cycle from three days to three hours through Selenium.

Room for Improvement

They can improve test reporting, and more importantly on test scripts, by providing less constructs to automate more complex testing scenarios.

Use of Solution

I've used it for the past nine years. We use it alongside Appium.

Deployment is little tricky but with good help from external vendors organizations, can implement a Selenium based test automation solution in a short period of time.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

There is great on-line support from the users community. External vendors have innovative solutions build using these tools where they provide tremendous support.

It was difficult to some extent, but with good documentation from the on-line community we where able to implement the tool.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house. If you are implementing it for enterprise level its better to seek external vendor help.

ROI

We have seen ROI of more than 60%. It's open source.

Other Advice

I would say start lean, gain small wins and incrementally add more. Example: Start automating test cases for one browser and slow expand to multiple browsers.

it_user374013
Associate Architect -Test Automation with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's language and environment compatible.

What is most valuable?

• Browser
  • Language and environment compatible
  • Opensource

How has it helped my organization?

We designed the Omani-channel automation framework, and achieved the maximum testing coverage includes localization (approximately 19), environment (web and mobile [iOS and Android]), and browser.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the iOS automation for hybrid app's and try to comparable for desktop app automation.

I've used it for six years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

I observed like batch execution issues and comparability issues like AngularJS app's etc.

There were no issues with the scalability.

8/10 - they need to improve their in-office blog.

Used other is solutions for my assignments, and more opensource ones.

It's simple to set-up.

We did it in-house.

It's open-source so it's free.

What other advice do I have?

You'll be good to go with this.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are secondary sponsors.
it_user373947
QA Manager at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

• Automate any web page by providing URL
  • One can use any programming language such as Ruby, Java, Python and few others
  • Support for several types of locators
  • Cross browser support

How has it helped my organization?

We run automated test cases after every deployment. The product helped us to implement continuous integration and worry free deployment process.

What needs improvement?

I had issues testing a flash application with Selenium Webdriver.

I've used it for five years.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

It is an open source product with a strong user base and lot of user community support.

I have briefly used QTP. There are a few reasons.It is an open-source tool and it has cross browser support. Testers can run automated test cases in different browser, and QA engineers can write test cases in his/her choice of language such as Java, Ruby, Python and a few others.

The set up is straightforward if you have a programming background.

It is an open source tool but price in terms of time it is totally worth it. It saves us lot of time and cost once implemented. The cross browser testing functionality helped us to find issues quicker in specific browsers.

What other advice do I have?

The product has record and play back tool but it is always better to write your own code and implement the framework.

QA Expert at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It provides us simple objects recognition and multi-language support.

What is most valuable?

Simple objects recognition It's easy to use Multi-language support Open source with good support A lot of information and help online

What needs improvement?

Selenium IDE needs to be improved not like just an record / play back tool, but as effective web elements spy. TestNG has more support, and also has ntegration with Appium and Jmeter which Selenium misses.

I've been using it for 10 years, since 2005.

Throughout the last five years, I have not had any difficulty to install or set-up Webdriver.

What is most valuable?

• Simple objects recognition
  • It's easy to use
  • Multi-language support
  • Open source with good support
  • A lot of information and help online

What needs improvement?

I've been using it for 10 years, since 2005.

This is an open source, so some issues are always pop[ing up , but compared to other open source automation tools web driver is much much better.

It covers all regression testing with 20,000 test cases run during 24 hours and easy maintenance.

Customer support is very good for a non-commercial tool.

I used Silk Test and Win Runner previously. Borland SilkTest is an excellent tool, but it costs.

It very straight forward and easy. Of course it’s required basic programming skills.

We have in house automation framework and it works great with continuous integration. I do not see reasons to pay for third party services.

It's a free tool.

What other advice do I have?

Just use web driver and enjoy.

Test Automation Engineer at a security firm with 51-200 employees
The parallel batch execution as well as reporting feature in the tests are very valuable to me.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We are using this product to do regression testing. In this way it has improved the quality of our product.

What needs improvement?

As of now I can't see anything which needs to be improved but once I am through with Selenium, will let you know.

I've been using it for one year and two months.

I have not had any issues with the deployment.

I have not had any issues with the stability.

I have not had any issues with…

What needs improvement?

I've been using it for one year and two months.

I have not had any issues with the deployment.

I have not had any issues with the stability.

I have not had any issues with the scalability.

It's an open source tool. So the only support is Google for us.

This product is more user friendly than others. So this is the reason for choosing this product.

The set-up was straightforward.

it_user373083
QA Test Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
CI can be achieved with tools like Jenkins. Like QTP, there should be an option to run the test from a point or state of application.

What is most valuable?

• It supports many programming languages like Java, and Ruby etc.
  • It can be plugged with Junit, TestNG and other Java frameworks for reporting
  • CI can be achieved with tools like Jenkins

How has it helped my organization?

Cost effective solution for automation test.

What needs improvement?

Dynamic Debugging needs to be improved. Like QTP, there should be an option to run the test from a point or state of application. Currently the test should be run from the beginning to debug or test the new scenario which has been added.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There are stability issues, especially when Mozilla Firefox updates.

There's no scalability issues.

It wasn't very difficult.

We did it in-house.

It's free and there's no licence needed.

What other advice do I have?

An engineer from any background can learn and build automation easily.

it_user373041
QA Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Building an automation framework can be used easily across teams with minimal training.

Valuable Features:

Selenium is an open source automation tool founded in 2004 by Jason Huggins used widely for functional testing of web based applications. It supports multiple languages and browsers which gives it the versatility. Users can develop their automation framework in the language of their choice and test their product across various browsers. The most vital feature of Selenium Webdriver is, that it allows report generation with the help of TestNG.

Improvements to My Organization:

Selenium Webdriver has streamlined the entire quality assurance process in our organization. As the regression suites run more frequently than before bugs are reported to developers at a faster rate which has in turn helped in attaining a rapid stability of the product. Alongside these automation scripts can be used to validate the functionality across various browsers and platforms which reduces time and effort considerably.

Room for Improvement:

In the future releases I would like to see a support for testing images in web applications and a provision for identifying captcha.

Deployment Issues:

There were no issues with deployment.

Scalability Issues:

There are no issues with its scalability.

Other Advice:

Implementing an automation tool for Quality assurance has become the latest trend in many organisations.

1. The biggest challenge is to identify whether there is really a need for an automation tool. Incorporating automation requires a robust product which undergoes minimal changes during its lifetime otherwise the automation scripts would require constant change.
  2. Selenium only supports web based applications and it is not suitable for testing small sized products which can be easily tested manually. The effort in incorporating an automation framework would be larger than testing it manually.
  3. User should have good knowledge of any of the programming languages supported like Java, C#, Ruby / Python to build an automation framework.
  4. Building an automation framework can be used easily across team with minimal training.
it_user372603
Senior Automation QA, Automation Expert at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees

Valuable Features

This is open-source product with large community, it allows to use your favourite language to write test framework.

Improvements to My Organization

Selenium is an automation tool which allows to perform automation web testing and reduce amount of manual tests.

Room for Improvement

Maybe more stable cross-browser autotesting (some times test which works ok for one browser fails in another).

Use of Solution

I've used it for over four years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

Sometimes there are issues with automation testing in Internet Explorer.

There's no issues with the scalability.

This is open source product with large community, the main issues can be solved using this community

To use Selenium WebDriver effectively you should have good knowledge of programming language, this is one of the main complexity

Other Solutions Considered

Compared to commercial tools such as TestComplete, Selenium WebDriver is a better choice for web auto-testing. It allows us to write frameworks using object-oriented programming languages like Java.

Other Advice

To use Selenium WebDriver effectively user should have good knowledge of programming language, this is one of the main complexity. Using Selenium you have to write test framework using your favourite language and some additional tools should be used also (like Jenkins for CI and reports), this is the first step which should be done.

it_user372513
Independent Consultant/Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It has the ability to test on all of the major web browsers.

What is most valuable?

The ability to test on all of the major web browsers.

How has it helped my organization?

I’ve used Selenium in multiple ways of the years. In one case I was working on a web site that got updated once a week. Mostly by others. Every week we would find out that a page changed that we were not expecting because we had changed included content, not knowing it was appearing on another page. I convinced management to allow me to write a script that went to each page on the production site and compare the page to the stage site. I reported the changes to management so that if they didn’t know about them, they were aware of the change.

On another site, we used Selenium to do basic application level testing. Just about the time I would start to think I was wasting my time, the test would reveal a problem that needed to be addressed.

What needs improvement?

Can’t think of anything I would change.

I've used it for at least five years.

There's never been an issue with deploying it.

As the various browsers change, tests stop working. But that can hardly be blamed on Selenium. Every problem I've ever had has always been answered by “Get the most recent version of Selenium.”

I've never had a problem scaling the tests.

It is open source, I don’t think this applies. The documentation could use some work but there are books that fill this hole.

I had used TestComplete at one point a very long time ago. What I didn’t like about TC is that it was a complete development environment, which I didn’t really like. Selenium gives me the ability to write my test using the programming environment I am already familiar with.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, but when you branch into using the Selenium Grid, things do get a bit more complex. It is all pretty easy now that I know how.

I implemented it myself using search engines and trial and error.

It’s free. And relatively easy to get setup.

What other advice do I have?

Learn how to use the “Page Model” approach to creating tests. If you code direct to the Selenium API and don’t using the Page Model, as things change in your web application, it will become more and more difficult to update your test to reflect the changes.

Selenium Test lead automation engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
​I can run a set of regression test cases with every release to QA.

What is most valuable?

I can easily integrate with TestNG and Maven. Also I am able to set servers and hubs to execute my test case against

How has it helped my organization?

I can run a set of regression test cases with every release to QA.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to capture HTML header information but I have not been able to do that yet

I've used it for three years.

There were no issues during deployment.

Currently WebDriver is having issues running against the latest of Firefox.

There have been no issues scaling it out.

How are customer

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

I can run a set of regression test cases with every release to QA.

I've used it for three years.

There were no issues during deployment.

Currently WebDriver is having issues running against the latest of Firefox.

There have been no issues scaling it out.

There is none yet there is a lot sites where questions can answered.

I used Capybara. I am more familiar with Java

It was pretty straightforward. It needs some degree of programming knowledge.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. This is one of the best open source solutions I know of.

it_user371337
Junior Quality Assurance Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
It allowed us to be assured that basic functionality works fine and to be informed about bugs quickly.

Valuable Features:

The most important features of Selenium, in my opinion, are:

• Multiple finding options (by Xpath, CSS class, ID, etc.
  • It is a multi-platform, so it can be used in different languages

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

I would like to see a better method handling. I mean methods/properties like Displayed, which should return false when there is no such element on the page instead NoSuchElementException, which has to be handled in my code – it should be provided with Selenium.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable so far.

Scalability Issues:

We've scaled sufficiently with it.

Other Advice:

Please remember it is just a tool and not everything can be automized.

it_user371700
Automation Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is now being implemented for testing in many browsers.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features I've found are:

• Cross browser support
  • Easy to use

Improvements to My Organization:

Selenium is now being implemented for testing in many browsers, e.g. IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Edge, etc. Also, we have implemented it in many other features in form of a framework.

Room for Improvement:

I would suggest cross-browser support need to be improved, as all methods do not support when we change the browser.

Other Advice:

A few features such as synchronization techniques, cross-browser coding, and customized reporting need to be implemented.

it_user126786
Test Automation Trainer at a training & coaching company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

• Selenium WebDriver can be used only for web test automation.
  • The framework is very flexible and powerful.
  • It can be used together with other frameworks for unit testing (JUNIT, TestNG), reporting (Allure), screenshot (aShot).
  • It can be used for creating automation scripts and execute them locally, in a locally managed computer grid or in the cloud.
  • It is great that Selenium works on any operating system and with many programming languages.

How has it helped my organization?

One thing that brings a lot of benefits is automating the smoke tests executed for each new build. If the automated tests are then integrated using Jenkins in the process of generating new builds, this leads to having better application builds.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any suggestions for the time being, but because it's open source, the only support is from forums and non-vendor resources.

No issues encountered.

Being an open source product, there is no customer service or technical support available.

I used QTP previously for web test automation. Until recently, QTP had limitations because of the scripting language (VB Script) and inability to run automation scripts on multiple operating systems and browsers. After starting work with Selenium, I did not consider any other automation tool for web automation.

The set up was fairly easy. I started creating scripts and running them on my local computer. In time, as soon as the script number went up, I started running them in the cloud.

I did it in-house. Start small and make gradual changes when implementing Selenium WebDriver.

The product is fantastic. It requires development knowledge so if you want to get most of it, learn a programming language well first.

it_user371361
QA Lead at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
It allows us to verify user flows effectively and very easily. I can use any web browser to assert user flows.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

It's helped us get good coverage with functional regression tests, reducing the reduction of manual effort to sign off on every release. We can now do so in just one day to sign off a regression test as compared to 4 day before we had automated tests.

Plus, as the regression runs are invoked on every commit, the tool has also reduced the number of issues introduced by regressions and has highlighted the regression issues on every commit/push. This allows us to get very early fixes and reduces the risks associated with changes and releases.

Room for Improvement

Overall, there aren't any areas for improvement. However, there are some things you have to do make make effective use of the tool. Make sure the language you select to work with is the same as the language your applications is developed in. Also, make sure you use Selenium Grid to get the test and suites to run in parallel.

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability has been fine for us.

It scales without issue.

It's open source, so there's no customer service.

It's customer service, so we provide our own technical support.

it_user324654
IT Principal Analyst at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
We got faster server response times by using its automation tools for our website.

Valuable Features

Selenium web driver.

Improvements to My Organization

We were using other HP tools to automate for our website and it took a lot of memory which slows down our server response times and also slower than Selenium. We gained like seven seconds after moving to Selenium.

Room for Improvement

Though Selenium is an open source tool, I would like to see If it can support all the browsers to the latest versions and with a predefined framework tied to it. Since selenium goes with the Java there is no standard framework defined and every other company builds their own framework which is good in one way. But the skills sets requires to build this framework takes a lot of time and ROI time is also increased.

The only as I mentioned is supporting the latest versions of the browsers. The code that works in FF doesn’t work in Chrome. Scalability wise, Selenium only supports the websites with pure HTMLs.

There are lot of forums on web. So never have to worry about reaching to technical support and I’m not aware of any either.

Building the framework is the one thing and using selenium (which is straightforward) after that is much easier.

Implementation Team

We developed in house and I totally support the In house. In house you can change your framework based on the needs with frequent code changes.

ROI

We have a great savings after building the initial framework. We run 600 test cases in parallel in virtual desktops in 16hours which takes 52 hours to execute manually. This execution takes place once in a month on an average.

it_user365250
Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
With Selenium WebDriver you can create robust, browser-based regression automation suites and tests, scale and distribute scripts across many environments.

What is most valuable?

When using Selenium WebDriver you will find that most valuable feature is integration with other technologies and frameworks.

Selenium can test almost any kind of web application and it supports many types of technologies. You can write scripts in various programming languages (Java, C#, Ruby, Python...).

Another important feature is scalable remote execution platform, you can execute your tests in parallel on great number of different machines using Selenium grid.

How has it helped my organization?

If used in right way (you can build your own test automation framework) it provides great test automation coverage and boosts time spent on writing automated test scripts. It can cope with almost any commercial tool in test automation area.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see more frequent releases and more bug fixes. Selenium has good support, but sometimes it seems that they mark some issues to easily with "won't fix" label.

Internet Explorer webdriver has some issues and should have better support.

I've been using it for one and half year, and intensely for the last eight months.

I encountered some smaller stability issues, but most of the time it can be solved quickly. There are also some minor issues with parallel test executions but there are workarounds for this specific cases so it can be avoided.

Support is pretty good, I would rate it 7/10.

I used a few commercial solutions in my career and Selenium offered me (almost) everything that this products did, in some cases even more. I chose it because it's open source, easy to integrate with other technologies/tools and offers everything that automation testing team needs.

Initial setup is complex just as any other development project setup is. Selenium has no installation files, it's just a bunch of libs which you need to import in your favorite IDE and set it up. It really depends on your experience, but no, it's not that complex.

What other advice do I have?

It's an open source product, (probably) the most popular one in a whole software test automation industry. Although it's free and open source it has good support and great integration with different technologies.

If you have a good QA team with engineers which have strong technical background and experience in software development I would definitely recommend you Selenium WebDriver. It offers everything you need, you can make your own framework and architecture, based on your business and technical needs.

If you have non-technical QA team and you want test automation - Selenium WebDriver is not the right solution, you should invest in some commercial products which are easier to use and don't demand that level of technical skills from your team.

it_user364443
Lead Automation Architect at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are now able to execute 3000 test cases in less than one hour.

What is most valuable?

Videos of test cases Scalable multi threading test execution

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to execute 3000 test cases in less than one hour. This is a great milestone for us.

What needs improvement?

It needs more support for mobile devices and also on testing web services.

I've used it for four years.Videos of test cases + Scalable multi threading test execution.

We've had no issues with scalability.

What is most valuable?

• Videos of test cases
  • Scalable multi threading test execution

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It needs more support for mobile devices and also on testing web services.

We've had no issues with scalability.

It's open source and therefore there is no customer support.

We used a different product that was not open source. We wanted to use open source.

It was not too complex, however, it would be complex for someone who doesn't know much about automation.

I implemented it through an in-house team. My advice would be to foresee all the problems that you might run in to in the future and design the framework based on that.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you get the set-up right initially.

it_user347715
Test Automation Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's provided shorter testing cycles, and saves a lot of time and mental health for manual testers, but it needs better stability for Internet Explorer.

Valuable Features

It's open source, free, stable, and easy to use. It's the best solution on the market.

Improvements to My Organization

It's provided shorter testing cycles, and saves a lot of time and mental health for manual testers. It helps with performing scheduled builds, and automatically generated test reports, etc.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to be able to perform stability for tests on Internet Explorer.

Use of Solution

We've used it for over one and a half years. We're running web test automation using Java language, and the Selenium library with the latest web drivers, alongside TestNG for managing test flow. We have Gradle for building and dependency management and Jenkins as CI tool. Tests are built and run on virtual machines (no remote driver).

The stability is a concern. Internet Explorer tests take three times longer to run and are a lot less stable than those run on Chrome, for example.

I haven't contacted them.

I haven't contacted them.

It took some time. I had to create, wrap and decorate a lot of its functionality.

It was done in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

We tried HP UFT, but did did not like the speed, and IDE. Also, there was no choice of programming language, it's not free, and a lot harder to maintain.

Other Advice

The library is nicely done. The webdriver communication with the browser is not perfect, though, especially IE. The longer the test is the higher the chance it will break down. It's impossible to reach 100% stability with more complicated tests. Very likely that the problem lies within Internet Explorer, not within the webdriver.

Very good for testers with programming experience and web developers, not so much for regular testers, unless they are given a “ready” framework and shown how to write tests.

it_user203841
Software Engineering Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We have been able to fix many browser related issues in the application before deployment, but I've seen latency issues in IE while executing scripts.

What is most valuable?

• Open source
  • Ability to run tests across multiple browsers and OS
  • Using Java as programming language

How has it helped my organization?

1. There are important projects in my organization which require a lot of cross browser testing to make sure that the application functions across different types of browsers eg. Internet Explorer, Chrome, FireFox, and Safari along with different versions eg IE9,10,11 etc. Hence we needed a tool which can run our tests across all these browsers in different machines to ensure defect free application. We have been able to fix many browser related issues in the application before deployment. Thus our efficiency of delivering a higher quality product has been increased a lot.
    This is important because our end users may use any kind of browser to use the application and we don’t want to get into issues where our applications crashes in 1 browser and works well in other.
  2. A lot of time & cost has been saved by using Selenium automation because now we don’t need all browsers to be tested by manual testers. Just 1 automation script is required which can be run across different browsers. We only need 1 person to kick off the script execution

What needs improvement?

We have seen latency issues with Internet Explorer. I would like to see better support for Internet Explorer.

I've used it for one year and one month.

I've seen latency issues in IE while executing scripts. The same script runs faster in Chrome and FireFox. Sometimes, the same xpath may not identify an object in Internet Explorer, but will identify it in Chrome/FireFox. So we have to write a different code in that case. This is not a very common scenario though.

Although there is no customer service for this, the code documentation and online resources make it easy to work with.

We used IBM Rational Functional Tester v8.5. The reason we switched over this product was because Selenium WebDriver:

• Is Open source
  • Supports execution in multiple browsers
  • Has the ability to run multiple tests across browsers and OS at the same time using Selenium Grid

It was straightforward. All we needed was an editor like Eclipse and all the required JAR files and driver executables. All these are available online.

We did it in-house. You should have JRE up to date, and make sure your IDE is configured properly. All driver executables should be downloaded and all JAR files should be applied to the project.

We have saved overs 400 hours of effort in our regression testing.

There is no license cost.

it_user324075
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Web applications functional test automation tool suite with ability integrate with many programming languages

Valuable Features:

• Supports many scripting languages (Java, .NET, Php etc)
  • Great functional testing tool with short learning curve, and this makes it easy for someone coming from programming background
  • Supports multiple web browsers/OS
  • Distributed (remote) testing

Improvements to My Organization:

Selenium is not just a one tool. It has a collection of tools.Selenium IDE can be used for creating the smoke tests quickly. Then export the test cases to your favorite programming language and run against different browsers. Once test cases are exported to the programming language the power of target language can be used to improve the tests further (e.g reporting , db connection etc)

Room for Improvement:

Integrating test reporting with WebDriver directly

Support for major browsers directly.

Other Advice:

If you don’t have a budget, go with Selenium because it has a huge community and the versions are constantly updated. Also, it supports latest browers most of the time, and major competitors are using it. It’s reliable and extendable. When it comes to performance testing, you can use the same code for both Selenium and JMeter.

it_user323916
QA Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
We use it as a base product for automation, reducing the time for regression testing and improving the quality that we deliver.

What is most valuable?

This product doesn’t need a license and doesn’t cost anything. In the consulting companies every cent matters so it’s not easy to introduce a paid product without good background. It’s even harder to sell this idea to customer.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation testing improves the quality we deliver and reduce the time for regression testing.

What needs improvement?

Actually I’m quite happy with that product.

I've been using it for at least six years. Usually I use Selenium WebDriver, NUnit, and C#. In some projects we can use WeDriver IO and JS. Tests run using Remote Phantom. But as a base product for automation I use lately Selenium as it’s a free product.

No, usually it works perfectly fine in any platforms and languages. Fits any servers including Azure and has no problems to run the tests.

As it’s a free product there is no customer support but there is a community that takes in consideration all found bugs for further improvement.

For about 10 years ago I used TestComplete for Windows Forms to write the regression suite for application. I didn’t choose this product, it was a part of the solution by the time I started to work there. As I remember it was a great product but it requires the license. It can be good for the product company which I was working in but it doesn’t fit consulting companies.

It’s really easy to set up Selenium tests. Usually you need to make a framework which you can you as a part of setup project in any project later.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it.

Download our free Selenium HQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.