SentinelOne OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SentinelOne is #2 ranked solution in endpoint security software and EDR tools. IT Central Station users give SentinelOne an average rating of 10 out of 10. SentinelOne is most commonly compared to CrowdStrike Falcon: SentinelOne vs CrowdStrike Falcon.SentinelOne is popular among Midsize Enterprise, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution is Comms Service Provider, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is SentinelOne?

SentinelOne delivers autonomous endpoint protection through a single agent that successfully prevents, detects, responds, and hunts attacks across all major vectors. Designed for extreme ease of use, the S1 platform saves customers time by applying AI to automatically eliminate threats in real-time for both on-premise and cloud environments and is the only solution to provide full visibility across networks directly from the endpoint. To learn more visit www.sentinelone.com or follow us at @SentinelOne, on LinkedIn or Facebook.

SentinelOne is also known as Sentinel Labs.

SentinelOne Buyer's Guide

Download the SentinelOne Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

SentinelOne Customers

Havas, Flex, Estee Lauder, McKesson, Norfolk Southern, JetBlue, Norwegian airlines, TGI Friday, AVX, Fim Bank

SentinelOne Video

Archived SentinelOne Reviews (more than two years old)

Tony Tuite
Consultant at NFC/IT
Reseller
AI-powered protection, data-rollback ability, and seamless integration with SolarWinds

• "It has the ability to rollback a ransomware infection instantly and with minimal disruption to the user & provides robust reporting."
  • "Set up is very labor-intensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP supporting various business verticals (including medical and pharmaceutical). Our core monitoring/deployment solution is SolarWinds RMM, through which we were recently introduced to SentinalOne. We use the bundled automation to install, patch, and monitor antimalware protection to endpoints. We are in the process of replacing Bitdefender with SentinalOne for several clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Deployment is automatable through the RMM, though a little clunky to do. The provided automation was a little challenging, but once you get it configured it's quite effective. Once we got it deployed to our users, it operates seamlessly and with minimal impact on system resources. Even our clients with lower-end workstations report improved performance since switching from Bitdefender.

After migrating, this also picked up some latent malware that was not previously detected & cleaned it immediately with almost no interaction required. I was impressed with how little this bogged down the affected system. This was in our pilot run, so I was on-site.

What is most valuable?

The fact that this runs using AI instead of heuristics provides the best protection I've seen. It has the ability to rollback a ransomware infection instantly and with minimal disruption to the user & provides robust reporting.

I tested this by deliberately infecting an unpatched test machine with WanaCry. First of all, SentinalOne blocked the initial infection attempt. I had to put S1 into "notify only" mode on that system to actually infect the machine. Once infected, WanaCry did what it does... encrypted all the documents I had copied to the test machine and put up the background.

We immediately got a notification on our dashboard that a system was infected. At the same time, we got a popup on the client machine notifying us of the infection, with the option to auto-repair the damage. It took less than a minute (granted, we only had about 200 MB of files on the test system) for S1 to repair the damage and put the machine back to normal with no evidence of the infection.

You also can't remove the client from the local machine without approving it within the dashboard. This is a nice feature to prevent tampering by either hapless users or even skilled threat actors.

What needs improvement?

Set up is very labor-intensive. You have to provide multiple codes from multiple places within the S1 dashboard in order to use the provided automation, and it's different for each client (or "sites" as they call it). It very much feels like an enterprise application that has been adapted for SMBs, but not very thoroughly. It would be better if they had a "site package" similar to the one offered by SolarWinds for the RMM. You just run the package on the client machine and done.

We have been using this solution for approximately three months.

The stability is excellent so far. Once installed, it's "set it and forget it."

Scalability is great if you're scaling up, but scaling down may prove to be challenging.

Technical support is provided for us through SolarWinds, and they're very knowledgable.

We used Bitdefender (also through SolarWinds) previously. SentinalOne was pitched by SolarWinds a few months ago as an alternative with robust ransomware protection. Being a small MSP, a single ransomware infection at a client could spell disaster for our business. We are always looking for the latest technology, but not marginal improvements.

The setup script provided by SolarWinds (proprietary to their RMM) was a little challenging to get going, but once it worked, it worked perfectly. Except it didn't run on Win7 systems because it uses Powershell commands from a later version than what's available on Win7.

The vendor team provided support, but we did the deployment.

We're making about seventy-five percent over the per-seat cost, and it's easy to sell at that price point.

The per-seat cost is low, but you have to commit to a certain number of licenses for a year.

We really hadn't seen EDR solutions in action before. Our decision was based primarily on the fact that it has SolarWinds integration.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely worth the money compared to heuristic solutions, especially for clients who tend to "stretch" their hardware as long as possible. The low impact and robust reporting go a long way to make this an easy sell, and the cost is excellent for the price point.

Massimiliano De Cò
Socio Fondatore e Proprietario at 2DC srl
A stable solution that offers very good information surrounding attacks and threats

What is most valuable?

The solution offers very rich details surrounding threats or attacks.

What needs improvement?

The price is a bit high. They should make their pricing model more affordable. The solution needs better reporting on new threats and malware. The reporting is present, but I can't find the information easily.

We are in the process of testing the solution. We've been using it for three months.

The solution is stable.

It's hard to give an impression on the stability at this time. We haven't used it on a large scale yet. We're still testing.

We haven't needed to…

What is most valuable?

The solution offers very rich details surrounding threats or attacks.

What needs improvement?

The price is a bit high. They should make their pricing model more affordable.

The solution is stable.

We haven't needed to contact technical support yet.

We are currently using Webhook as we test this new solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SentinelOne. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ZH
IT Manager at apex
Receptor is good at finding many EFC files

• "We have a preference for their receptor. It's good at finding many EFC files. EFC files could have a virus."
  • "It's fine. It's correcting all the EFC files with a virus. All the achievements, maximum EFC files. Many EFC files will be flagged as a virus. Some virus databases need to be updated. The model is good at finding many EFC files. The trouble is it needs to be updated."

What is our primary use case?

We use the public cloud version.

What is most valuable?

We have a preference for their receptor. It's good at finding many EFC files. Normally, EFC files could have a virus, but we need to exclude some of them.

What needs improvement?

It corrects all of the EFC files with a virus. All the achievements, maximum EFC files. Many EFC files will be flagged as a virus. Some virus databases need to be updated. The model is good at finding many EFC files. The trouble is it needs to be updated.

From the client-side, some scanning and other features can be enabled for scanning viruses better. If they want to scan for an individual reason other than viruses, such as scanning for legal files, they haven't been able to gather that from the client-side.

Some features could be more user-friendly. For instance, setting restrictions in the explorer for what level one must be to use it is not user-friendly. It is difficult to find what we're searching for.

The solution is stable.

Out of ten, I would give this solution 8.5 for scalability.

When we need partners, they support us well. There have been no issues with that.

What other advice do I have?

It's okay. It's a better solution than other competitors.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

CF
Managing Partner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Protects endpoints against malware and other threats

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the user-friendly interface."
  • "This solution would be more attractive to customers if the price were lower."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT company that sells solutions, and this is one of the products that we provide to our customers. We work on certain opportunities that require the capabilities of SentinelOne, but we do not use it for our own purposes.

This solution is used to protect endpoints against malware and other threats.

A lot of the deployments are hybrid. In Lebanon, the cloud is not used to a large extent. Most of the customers use on-premises solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the user-friendly interface. Our customers ask for something that is easy to use, easy to manipulate and doesn't require too much intervention. This is where SentinelOne scored big against CrowdStrike and Carbon Black.

This solution is easy to install.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be more attractive to customers if the price were lower.

We have been working with this solution for about one year.

The stability seems ok at this point because there is no negative feedback from the customers.

This solution is scalable and expandable with no issues.

We have support from both vendor and distributor, and up to now, it has been satisfactory. The response has been very good, which is something the customers really appreciate and is always considered a plus.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. The deployment is very easy and very fast, taking perhaps two or three hours, depending on the size of the project.

It is a centralized deployment.

A maximum of two people are required for the setup and maintenance.

The implementation of this project is a joint effort between our team and the vendor's technical team.

What other advice do I have?

I have done POCs with this solution for two customers and there has been no negative feedback.

My advice for anybody considering this product is to do a POC and check to ensure it fits their environment. In some areas, this may be the best product to use, but in another environment, another product or another solution would be a better fit. It's always a matter of doing the POC and trying to get the most out of the product, depending on the environment.

SC
IT Operations Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers better protection for corporate environments particularly with a lot of cloud integration and platforms like Office 365

• "All of the features are valuable. The way that it integrates into management with fault correction capabilities over is especially valuable. Any of the full gamut of the features that it provides are useful to us."
  • "In terms of improvement, I would like to see better alerting to let us know if there is anything wrong with SentinelOne working on the endpoint of the computer."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to have as a next-generation security product for our endpoint devices.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SentinelOne for six months.

It's very stable.

It's scalable. We don't have any plans to increase usage.

We haven't had to engage with their technical support.

We were previously using another solution and it was a corporate decision to switch to this solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took around two weeks.

We did the integration in-house.

We didn't evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend this solution. I would recommend that you get onto a next-generation endpoint security device like this one. It's much better protection for corporate environments particularly with a lot of cloud integration and platforms like Office 365. If you're going to start using those sort of services, then you really need a next-generation endpoint protection device like SentinelOne.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

ZB
Field Technician at Sonrise Technology Solutions
Reseller
The threat timeline feature gives a breakdown of the files and network connections

• "I have found the activity timeline and threat analysis to be particularly useful."
  • "I would like to see something a little more sophisticated than simply being able to mark a false positive as safe or there's usually just one or two options in certain areas and they're a little rudimentary at this stage."

What is our primary use case?

We're a managed service provider, so it's MSP for our clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The automation of certain features could use improvement. For example, it seems common sense to me that if a threat was executed out of a task in your task scheduler that part of neutralizing the threat would be removing that task from the scheduler.

I would like to see something a little more sophisticated than simply being able to mark a false positive as safe or there's usually just one or two options in certain areas and they're a little rudimentary at this stage.

In terms of stability, I've seen some issues with the deployment or decommissioning not working the way it's entirely supposed to. I've seen the same thing with other managed antivirus so it's nothing I consider unusual. Occasionally I have to go and clean up an installation or an installation that didn't go off cleanly.

The scale we operate at is pretty small. We've got less than 100 endpoints on this at the moment. Currently, I only have about 80 users.

We still use our traditional antivirus packages, Vipre and Bitdefender, depending on the customer and their use case.

The initial setup took a little bit of orientation but nothing I would consider unusual for learning a new product like this. The deployment did not take very long at all. From the time when we were introduced, got registered for all the different related sites and services it only took a couple of weeks before we could deploy without really needing to think about it. It was pretty simple.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to make sure that you leverage the features. It's particularly very useful in sites such as the threat timeline where it gives you a breakdown of the files and network connections.

Call the SOC, the Security Operations Center, with questions. They're always proactive and very helpful but do not rely on the automation to do everything for you. I had an instance where just glancing at the activity timeline, it was very obvious to me there was something traversing the customer's network. There was an infection that was at least partially taking hold and it was worming its way through their network and I would think that the Security Operations Center should see. If they're seeing multiple infections at the same site they should have the same inference happen and call us and notify us and do something about it.  That required manual intervention and it would've been nice to get an earlier notice on it without manual review of activity by myself.

I would rate SentinelOne an eight out of ten.

HW
IT Security Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Machine learning feature enables us to identify viruses but the reporting needs improvement

• "In the past, we were not able to identify a few viruses, but now we are able to identify them because of the machine learning feature."
  • "The reporting needs improvement and I would like to see a more granular level of administrative privileges."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for antivirus.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The machine learning module is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs improvement and I would like to see a more granular level of administrative privileges.

The initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't a long project, it took six months.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

We don't have a plan to increase the usage, it is purely based on our business requirements.

This product is nothing but different from a traditional anti-virus. We were very apprehensive to try it. Once we tried it, it gave us a good impression.

LM
CISO at a religious institution with 501-1,000 employees
The forensics analysis feature provides substantial help in determining the extent of a problem

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for those with access to sensitive or confidential data. The cost of the solution is prohibitive for all of our users, but we do want to make sure that those with access to critical data have higher levels of protection.

How has it helped my organization?

Users who have SentinelOne are very pleased with the solution and its protection, no complaints.

What is most valuable?

The forensics analysis feature provides substantial help in determining the extent of the problem and how it affects the machines.

What needs improvement?

The SentinelOne is one of my daily consoles and I use it regularly to identify the root cause of some infections.  However, when a file is flagged as suspicious it would be very helpful to have the system highlight precisely what event or characteristic of the file SentinelOne considers potentially dangerous.  In this way it would help focus our investigations on the specific characteristics or actions of the file.

We have had 100% uptime with the solution.

Given the way the solution works, I see no issues at all with scalability — both in the number of users or incidents as well as the degree of sophistication of the attacks.

Technical support has attended to our issues quickly and with a good sense of the need to communicate continually throughout an issue.

Yes, we continue to use Kaspersky for our other users.

The setup is very straightforward and simple. Our users who have the solution have spoken so highly about SentinelOne that other users who are not on the target list ask if they too can use the solution.

Our in-house team implemented the solution, working with our local engineers in the different countries where we have offices.

The pricing is rather elevated. However, the solution is the most transparent for the uses I have ever encountered as well as being normally very informative and accurate for our engineers.

We evaluated several other options, including Bromium, Carbon Black, CrowdStrike, Cylance, Forcepoint, Invincea, and some others.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the budget, this is a top-notch solution. We have used the solution for over a year now, and we plan to continue using the solution for our most critical users (those with access to sensitive or confidential data). Truly an excellent solution.

it_user580182
Security Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Identifies Zero-day attacks, provides good visibility, and it's straightforward to use

• "It has good visibility features and it's straightforward."
  • "There is not much flexibility in terms of policy fine-tuning. We can turn it off or turn it on, but, there's nothing much else to do. Everything is predefined. It's good in a way, but you don't get much flexibility if you want to do something particular."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for policy fine-tuning.

How has it helped my organization?

SentinelOne uses behavioral analysis and artificial intelligence to detect unknown malware. That is what all enterprises require today. They don't want to go with some normal anti-malware tool, which has less sophisticated detection. Even if something suspicious or a Zero-day enters the environment, SentinelOne will be able to identify it.

What is most valuable?

It has good visibility features and it's straightforward. It's not so complex.

What needs improvement?

There is not much flexibility in terms of policy fine-tuning. We can turn it off or turn it on, but there's nothing much else to do. Everything is predefined. It's good in a way, but you don't get much flexibility if you want to do something particular.

Less than one year.

We do not have any issues with stability at the moment. Before I joined the company, I heard that there were some issues with the agent, that they were having some performance issues, a portlet application was crashing. There were minor issues which are fine now.

In my organization, we are planning to deploy some 30,000 agents. I would say that it's scalable. I don't see any problem with scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I just had a conversation with a colleague who has bought McAfee ePO. He was saying that he was able to do much more in that tool than in SentinelOne. For example, he mentioned that he was able to see traffic on a particular port on a particular system, using ePO. We cannot do that using SentinelOne. In this tool, everything is already in place and there's not much that we can do.

Jestoni Paglinawan
System Engineer at a tech services company
Reseller
It has provided overall endpoint status visibility

• "SentinelOne’s Rollback is its best feature."
  • "They could add “right click>scan” where most users were trained to do so in handling flash drives."

How has it helped my organization?

Before it was a challenge for us to know who had an existing endpoint issue or who had the most attacks within the corporate network. Since SentinelOne was introduced, it has provided overall endpoint status visibility for us. Giving us the ability to easily pinpoint endpoints which had the most attacks and respond at a faster rate.

What is most valuable?

SentinelOne’s Rollback is its best feature. No solution can ever provide a 100% protection, but their rollback feature closes this gap in endpoint security giving end users a ray of hope in the event of a worst case scenario endpoint breach, especially in ransomware attacks.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve their UI and the way they show that the scanning is running on the endpoint. Sometimes users wanted to see whether their AV is working via visual context.

Also, add remote code execution via the management console, application control, device control, and all other common features found on the legacy antiviruses. This would help administrators to fully shift from legacy to Next Gen EPP without sacrificing usable features.

There have been a few cases where the agent cannot report to the management console, thus this requires a manual restart of the agent via a command prompt.

There are no problems with scalability, I could say that the product is easily scalable, since it is not limited to a physical server.

The technical support is quick and very helpful. They often response within the day or by the next business day.

As of now, SentinelOne still serves as an augmentation for our existing AV, but some of our devices are now using it as their sole endpoint protection.

The setup is very easy and straightforward. It is just like installing an ordinary program and it automatically reports back to the management console.

The price for it is very competitive compared to other Next Gen EPP. You can really get a great value for it when it is integrated with EDR.

No, since we already had experience with other products. As of today, we have tested one of its competitor using AI, but their overall protection still cannot be compared to how SentinelOne protects your endpoint.

What other advice do I have?

They have an impressive product.

Understand how endpoint protection technologies work, since they do not rely on signature databases anymore. Also, follow deployment guidelines, such as initially deploying it in their production environment using a monitor only policy and giving the agents maturity of at least one to two weeks to allow the management console to build a solid behavior base for their environment.

it_user768165
Account Director
Reseller

• "The solution can search for hidden and dormant threats on encrypted traffic in your environment."
  • "Deployment strategy for large organizations that do not use active directory (AD)."

What is most valuable?

If I am breached, they will pay the ransom on my behalf.

Cybercrime is growing in the world of technology, the defense in today’s world has no accountability. If breached, all that is said is that it is zero-day, and you still pay license fees to those vendors. The solution can search for hidden and dormant threats on encrypted traffic in your environment.

How has it helped my organization?

With automation, the time wasted on malware, like ransomware, is dealt with on a scale where everything is centralized. The IT Technician does not have to wait for a user to bring the machine to IT, as all they need is an active internet connection.

What needs improvement?

• Deployment strategy for large organizations that do not use active directory (AD).
  • Windows updates have not been done on the client side, so minimum requirements stop the installation.

One year.

None.

None.

Excellent, they have customized reports on threats in our environment that we do not have knowledge of.

Yes, Sophos, I switched because SentinelOne does more things and guarantees against ransomware and can find hidden threats that other solution could not find.

It is both straightforward and complex to install.

Machines on Windows 10 are easy and seamlessly installed.

Users machines that are not updated require updates to be done first before the solution can be installed.

Spend money on the security for the endpoint. That is where the data lies and where hackers try an attack, not the network or firewalls.

Sophos, AVG, Avast, McAfee, Kaspersky, and ESET.

What other advice do I have?

Ask about accountability for hidden and dormant threats that could be in your network.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller and Platinum partner of the solution through Cyber Intelligent Systems.
Business Development at a tech services company
Solution with competitive pricing which has the capacity to prevent new threats

• "Its capacity to prevent new threats."
  • "The management console."

How has it helped my organization?

We have been protecting more than 100 companies (with no infections) since the product was installed.

What is most valuable?

• The rollback functionality.
  • Its capacity to prevent new threats.

What needs improvement?

The management console.

Nine months.

Very fast and accurate.

Yes, Kaspersky Lab. They don't have a good next gen endpoint in order to protect against new threats.

Very easy. You can start your deploy with a single executable file or a massive deployment (GPO, etc.) with a MSI.

The price is competitive, if you compare it with other solutions on the market.

Sophos Intercept X, Cylance, Traps and a few more.

What other advice do I have?

It's very important to understand how industry-wide endpoint security solutions work to avoid possible issues.

Download our free SentinelOne Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.