Serena Solutions Business Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Serena Solutions Business Manager?
With Serena Business Mashups, you can easily automate people-centric processes and deliver fit-to-purpose custom applications. Unlike traditional approaches to business process management, SBM provides a single platform to streamline processes, speed implementation, and deliver fit-to-purpose applications in a cost effective manner. SBM represents the next generation of TeamTrack and Tracker.

Serena Solutions Business Manager was previously known as TeamTrack.

Download the Software Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Serena Solutions Business Manager Customers
eBay, AgustaWestland, EMI Music, LenderLive, Martin-Baker Aircraft Co. Ltd.
Serena Solutions Business Manager Video

Archived Serena Solutions Business Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user713322
User at a government with 10,001+ employees
We've used it for traditional help desk and defect tracking endeavors

What is most valuable?

It is the Swiss Army knife of software applications. If you have a process, SBM can be easily used to track and report on that process.

How has it helped my organization?

We've used it for traditional help desk and defect tracking endeavors, but we've also used it for HR, Marketing, and even some non-traditional government processes which were very customized.

What needs improvement?

• Reporting is generally very good, but people always want more.
  • The UI is OK, but it is not setting any new standards for ease of use.

We have been using this solution for 10 years.

We have deployed it in multiple locations without difficulty.

There were no stability issues at all.

It will scale as large as you need it to go.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

We evaluated Rational ClearCase and Remedy. Both are a nightmare to customize and support, and are very expensive to own.

The initial setup was very easy.

The vendor team was essential in getting us moving quickly.

There was a significant ROI. The development of weekly metrics from Excel spreadsheets, Lotus Notes database, Access databases, and some Word documents was a two to three day affair. Now, this process takes seconds.

Be sure you understand what your users need to do. Full seat licenses are not cheap and are a waste for people who are only going to view data and do limited data entry.

Alexandr Logach
Independant IT Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
Allows you to get a fully functional app based on your process sketch

What is most valuable?

The solution provides business process automatization. The Composer is absolutely a magical tool. It allows you to get a fully functional app based on your process sketch, in couple of hours, without knowing BPMN notation.

How has it helped my organization?

Typically SBM is used by IT departments. We got transparency over the DevOps, after implementing ITSM and ALM processes on the MB platform.

We get automation in the Project office, including interaction with Accounting. This was incredible in terms of how fast we got a workable solution that reduced our losses on the interactions between departments.

What needs improvement?

From technical point of view, it would be better to support more than just MS SQL and Oracle DB.

We have been using this solution for 10 years.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer service is quite good.

Technical support is excellent.

• MS SharePoint: In the area of Business process automation, it was almost nightmare to implement any new process, or make even smallest modification to an existing one.
  • JIRA and HPE Service Manager for IT Processes. The HPE solution was too complex and the costs were huge.
  • JIRA is still in use by developers for some tasks.

The installation and configuration were pretty easy.

The initial steps (installation/configuration) were done by a vendor team. They also implemented a couple of processes in IT and they had excellent skills. Later on, most tasks were covered by our IT department, and even the business staff uses the tool from time to time.

Basic licenses are not tied into processes. We got a big profit with implementing a custom ITSM solution instead of buying Serena's additional licenses (SSM).

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, IBM, Microsoft and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user409653
Project Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
I can see the complete estimates for my request in one view. There are some user interface and link issues.

What is most valuable?

Estimates from all teams are visible in one general ticket (PFC). I can see the complete estimates for my request in one view.

How has it helped my organization?

Tracking of business requirements and project scope during the execution phase.

What needs improvement?

User interface and links between tickets. For me, Jira is the ideal tool. I am evaluating SBM, from this perspective.

In Jira, there are more types of links between tickets, you can create your own type of relation, and then you can filter by this relation.

In Jira, you can change your personal space/account to see only the things you are interested in, for example, dashboards and screens.

I am not the sales representative of Atlassian. I am only an experienced user.

We have been using the solution for a year.

I am not aware of any stability issues.

I am not aware of any scalability issues.

I have no experience with technical support.

I donĀ“t know why my company chose this product.

I was not involved in the initial setup of the product.

The decision about this solution was made before I came to the company. I am not aware of any other evaluated solutions.

it_user1689
VP of Operations at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Love the automation, but poor response time.

Valuable Features:

Allows us to automate work flows to provision IS services.

Room for Improvement:

Response time could improve.

Valuable Features:

Allows us to automate work flows to provision IS services.

Room for Improvement:

Response time could improve.
Download our free Software Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, IBM, Microsoft, and more!