Elizabeth  Juarez
Global Chief Information Officer/ Chief Technology Officer at a recreational facilities/services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It helps us track processes and build our knowledge base

• "I think ServiceNow is highly stable. These kinds of tools are used in a big company, and I haven't seen any issues in terms of the core platform."
  • "It's a little expensive compared to other tools."

What is our primary use case?

I previously used the on-premise version of ServiceNow. It was a better fit for companies and banks because of their tech security protocols. But for my work with my current company, I am considering the cloud solution because we already have all the other software components in AWS.

What is most valuable?

The main features of ServiceNow that I use are incident approval management and the ability to link all the information we receive from the finance bureau service. We needed to track the different processes within the IT area and incident documentation. Then we gathered all the information and built a knowledge base. That's the central core functionality that I've been using, and I've seen immense benefits.

What needs improvement?

We are elaborating and defining the business processes, so I will believe that we will be able to avoid the older models for the second phase. But first, I wanted to have these incident and asset management models in place as a first phase of the implementation.

I've been using ServiceNow for work I've done with various clients for around eight years. I first used it with Wal-Mart International, and then we used it for one event with Brolin Management. I recently worked with Santander Bank, where we used ServiceNow for all the incident and assets management. Now, I help implement different service management tools at my current company, including ServiceNow.

I think ServiceNow is highly stable. These kinds of tools are used in a big company, and I haven't seen any issues in terms of the core platform. However, if we need to customize something, that would be the point to focus on because this would be something new, not a part of the standard flow for the tool.

I think ServiceNow is scalable in the short term.

The solution has some built-in monitoring capabilities, so we escalate cases as they come. But sometimes the response to our requests is delayed.

Setting up ServiceNow is pretty standard because we want it to manage incidents and use it for other marketing, construction, and procurement areas. But, still, everything would be based on the different services we provide for their operations area. If you move forward with the cloud, I think the number of internal staff needed would be minor. It probably takes around two people to deploy and manage. In this case, we use some external consultants for all the development and maintenance.

For us, it's better to pay the licenses monthly, and I mean when we move ahead with the cloud deployment. I understand that the service includes hosting and licensing as a service as well as some downgoing costs probably. That will be all on the implementation side. It depends if we need some customization. We will need to consider that part as a consultancy.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate ServiceNow nine out of 10 because it's a little expensive compared to other tools, but it's a very good product from a technical standpoint.

PA
Senior System Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A lot of inherent complexity, but it is stable, powerful, and feature-rich

• "ServiceNow is a very powerful tool that can perform a lot of different functions."
  • "There is inherent complexity with this tool because of the number of things that it can do."

What is our primary use case?

ServiceNow is helpdesk software that I have some experience with. This is not a solution that I deploy. Rather, I interact with it using hooks between it and NetBrain.

It is used for the creation and tracking of tickets and incidents, tasks, projects, and self-ordering. Our parent company uses ServiceNow for ordering and it has been utilized with a lot of different workflows. This is something that we never did but now that we've merged together, and we've merged our instances of ServiceNow, it means more of those self-service tech catalogs now in place and utilized.

How has it helped my organization?

As an end-user, I have not had any real problems with it. I use the capabilities that I have to and it's one of the tools that I have to use because that is where tickets are presented.

What needs improvement?

My company has been working with ServiceNow for close to 10 years.

This is a stable solution. There's very little that I'm aware of in terms of hiccups and complaints.

As an end-user, I have not been in contact with technical support.

We did have an on-premises solution until about a year and a half to two years ago, and now we're using the SaaS version. That changes features and then tools, and perhaps other things as well.

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is a very powerful tool and with power comes complexity. It's divided up well, and I have experience updating tickets in it. In my opinion, it can do a lot, although some people think that it should do a lot more.

I'm not convinced that it should be the source of truth for everything. Some people promote it as the source of truth, but in networking automation, there are multiple sources of truth. For example, Active Directory is your user source of truth. IPM is your IP source of truth. The ticketing system has access to a lot of things, but does it need to be, and should it be the source of truth for something? I don't think so.

I think that it should pull from other places and be a collection of sources of truth. It's not the source of truth for users, it uses users. It's not the source of truth for devices, as devices are managed elsewhere. However, some people try to force it to you be that source of truth. I think that following such advice can lead to trouble.

Again, it's a very complex system and you can make it do whatever you want. It's just a matter of getting it to react the way you want it to.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kush Rai
Practice Leader, Solutions architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I find it easy to use as well as easy to add plugins for new features

• "It's more about the ease of use of ServiceNow. Plus, everything is there in a single platform. If you need any additional functionality, you just need to enable the plugins without even installing anything on the servers"
  • "if I consider from the IT operations management side, ServiceNow is pretty premature on some things, especially the discovery, while the other tools like Micro Focus and BMC Remedy, those that have been in the market for quite some time. ServiceNow is evolving itself in the discovery piece of the future."

What is most valuable?

It's more about the ease of use of ServiceNow. Plus, everything is there in a single platform. If you need any additional functionality, you just need to enable the plugins without even installing anything on the servers. That's the most important thing. You don't have to completely restart the system itself as it is cloud-based so you just need to enable the plugin and then you're just ready to roll.

What needs improvement?

if I consider from the IT operations management side, ServiceNow is pretty premature on some things, especially the discovery, while the other tools like Micro Focus and BMC Remedy, those that have been in the market for quite some time. ServiceNow is evolving itself in the discovery piece of the future.

We have been using ServiceNow for more than six years. Every six months ServiceNow releases a new version. Every time we have to get ourselves certified to the new version, as well as go through different new features that ServiceNow releases. We are partners for ServiceNow. So actually, it's one of the KRS for us to make sure that we are certified with their latest release.

I would say in terms of stability, it is 90% stable. There are certain things which I've experienced with my other customers. So I was not happy with that. So that's the reason why I'm putting a 90% for the stability.

Scalability for ServiceNow is good. I would say 100%.

Documentation, I would say is not that good. I would say 80% in terms of the documentation. This is specifically from the IT operation. I cannot comment on the IT service management piece or the other parts of ServiceNow. In terms of the technical support, I would say 95% which is good.

I would definitely say that I recommend ServiceNow because I've also worked in the Micro Focus tools in the past for quite some time. When I compare it with ServiceNow it is not even close. I would say recommend ServiceNow as compared to the Micro Focus.

The setup of ServiceNow is very straightforward. You just have to raise a service request with them and they get it all setup with any plugins that you request for it. So far, I have not experienced any issues.

The pricing is very good compared to its competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say that I recommend ServiceNow because I've also worked in the Micro Focus tools in the past for quite some time. When I compare it with ServiceNow it is not even close. I would say recommend ServiceNow as compared to the Micro Focus.

Private Cloud

Other
AP
Chief ITSM area at MAINSOFT
Robust with an easy setup and fair pricing

• "The pricing of the product is quite good. It's not too expensive."
  • "The customer service of the product right now isn't very good. It's an aspect they really need to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for ITSM record catalog incident problems and Service Level Management.

What is most valuable?

The product is very robust.

The solution offers very good customization. I can make very strong chains and format excellent business rules.

The pricing of the product is quite good. It's not too expensive.

The setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

The customer service management is the grown product. INow I don't have much skill, but I think that could be an excellent complement for ITSM.

We've been using the solution for four years at this point. We have a bit of experience with it.

The product has very nice stability. We haven't had any reliability issues. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It works quite well.

I've found the scalability to be good. If a company needs to expand the product, it should be able to do so without any issues.

We have about 80-85 employees on the solution right now. They are mainly supervisors and agents. Currently, we are at capacity for the upcoming year. Beyond that, I'm unsure as to if we will expand usage in the future.

Technical support is okay, however, sometimes it takes time to get help. Our hope is that, in the future, they get even better at assisting their clients.

Although I am aware of other solutions, such as RemedyForce, currently we're using this product and we don't plan on changing any time soon.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's quite straightforward and very simple. We didn't have any issues.

Our deployment took about four to five weeks in total.

I'm not exactly sure how many people in our organization actually handled the deployment or cover any maintenance required.

We did not use an integrator, reseller, or a consultant for the deployment. We were able to handle the process ourselves.

The pricing is fair. We get good value for how much we pay. It's not overly expensive.

That said, I don't know the exact pricing of the solution. It's not an aspect of the product that I handle.

I'm not sure if the company looked at other options before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

We're both a customer and a reseller. We use the solution in our offices in Paris, Madrid and New York.

I'd recommend the solution. It's very easy to implement. The deployment is much easier compared to other solutions.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Practice Director, Global Infrastructure Services at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution which is easy to use

• "The solution is stable, scalable and easy to use."
  • "The solution should offer better security when it comes to storing data."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for IT Operations Management, SLA and ordinary day-to-day operations. We also use it for business dashboards and different groups within the company.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution very much. The majority of customers use it. It is one of the best, the most apt solution the industry has to offer. It is stable, scalable and easy to use.

The total ITSM package offers availability, performance and scalability.

I think the tool has matured sufficiently over the past six years that I do not see room for improvement. It comes with in-built capabilities and it is up to us to use it as we see fit. I would say it meets nearly every use case of ours.

What needs improvement?

While we consider the solution to be fine, a weakness of it is that it is not on-premises.

Security and privacy issues should be addressed in respect of the IT operations data and data storage. They should not be on a shared infrastructure, but on the SaaS in isolated storage. The solution should offer better security when it comes to storing data.

We have been using ServiceNow for quite some time, perhaps as long as six years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I have encountered no issues with the technical support or its response time. I have found its response time to be prompt.

The entire installation process is easy and very straightforward, which consists primarily of the installation of the tool and its configuration. We are talking about SaaS, software as a service installation, meaning one which is ready for use. As such, there is no real installation work involved.

The installation period lasts from two to several weeks. A medium enterprise would have a two week installation period and a large one would have a month.

Although I am not directly involved in the team staffing purposes relating to the installation, I would estimate that it would not involve more than five or six specialists.

The license involves a multi-year contract. While the option exists to pay for a monthly license, we are dealing with large enterprises and these typically involve multi-year licenses of ten or five years, at a minimum.

What other advice do I have?

As systems integrators, we deploy the solution both on-premises and on the cloud, although it is mostly cloud-based. While we handle both on-premises and SaaS deployment, I am only addressing the aspects involving the latter.

Globally, we manage in excess of 250 customers. We have a shared services model which serves more than one hundred customers.

I do not feel it would be beneficial to explore other options beyond ServiceNow.

I rate ServiceNow as an eight out of ten.

RM
Head of Digital Services & Technologies at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with good integrations and fairly stable

• "The solution integrates well with other products."
  • "A new user does need training or time to learn the solution before jumping in. It was very hard in the beginning to understand everything. I couldn't find the models I needed at the time."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as it's a requirement for our standards of use in the future. I primarily use the product to look for tickets. I also check for future projects and so on.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

Now that I've worked with it a little bit, I can find what I need rather quickly.

It was pretty easy to implement the solution.

The solution is quite sizable. There are a lot of features.

It can scale well.

The product is stable.

The solution integrates well with other products.

We've been pretty happy with the level of support they offer their clients.

What needs improvement?

A new user does need training or time to learn the solution before jumping in. It was very hard in the beginning to understand everything. I couldn't find the models I needed at the time.

I've only been using the solution for a few months. It's only been a rather short amount of time.

The stability of the product is good. There aren't bugs or glitches to deal with. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so.

At our organization, there are about 300 users on the product currently.

We'll be using the solution into the future.

The solution has fairly good technical support. We're pretty satisfied with their level of service. I'd say they are responsive and knowledgable.

We previously used HP before switching to this product.

The solution was easy to implement as it wasn't styled out. It wasn't too complex.

Normally there is staff training near the beginning. This is not the case anymore. You can use it right away, however, it is difficult in the beginning, coming at it from a new user's perspective. That's the main thing to keep in mind. Organizations should be aware of this at the outset and plan for it.

During the implementation, we did get help from outside sources. This assisted in the setup process. It helps if a company gets training before as well.

I'm not responsible for licensing and therefore don't have any information in terms of pricing or cost structure. It's not something that I need to worry about in my day to day.

What other advice do I have?

I assume that we are using the most up to date version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution.

On a scale from one to ten, overall, I would rate it at an eight.

JC
Sr. Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, has good workflow capabilities, but the setup could be simplified and the interface could be improved

• "The subsequent chain of tasks, I believe, is valuable."
  • "The interface requires an upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our tickets go through ServiceNow.

Any tickets that we need to open in order to interact with other teams and make things happen go through ServiceNow.

When I need to create an AWS account, I use ServiceNow. I need to use ServiceNow to request a new machine.

We use ServiceNow for everything that requires us to interact with other teams.

They use it for internal communication across all departments.

What is most valuable?

What I believe works well is the chain of tasks that occurs when you follow up after completing a task. The subsequent chain of tasks, I believe, is valuable.

What needs improvement?

The interface, in my opinion, is not very good. It's very unclear where the status is and what steps I need to take next. I don't think the layout is very good.

The interface requires an upgrade. I'm not sure if I'm using the most recent version, which could be the issue. However, I don't have control over which versions we use, and I do find the interface to be very cumbersome, there is a lot of information here, and it's difficult to find what you are looking for.

I find myself occasionally looking at the request and wondering if I already approved it or not because the status is a little strange. It's not great.

It's not very intuitive.

I interact with ServiceNow quite a bit. I have been using it for eight years.

ServiceNow is relatively stable. I haven't noticed any problems with stability.

I believe it scales well, but I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the back end or how it's set up.

It performs well, I have never had any problems with performance.

The company employs over 40,000 people. I'm going to say that the majority of people will need to use it, or maybe half of them use ServiceNow extensively.

I've never had any contact with technical support.

Black Duck, Veracode, and SonarQube are some of the tools we use.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup because it was already in place when I joined the organization.

I've heard that some of its features are difficult to implement. I've never done it myself, but from what I've heard from other teams, it takes a long time to create a full flow. It's not quite that easy.

We have a team that handles updates, patches, and fixes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ServiceNow a seven out of ten.

Dawn McClure
IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
The Cadillac of ticketing systems

• "I find the incident management part to be the most valuable. That's how the service desk tracks tickets."
  • "The discovery of assets could be improved; right now they only allow for one domain."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for incident management, change request management, and service request catalog. These are our three primary use cases.

Within our organization, there are roughly 15,000 to 20,000 employees using this solution. We have two staff members that handle all maintenance-related issues.

As our mission over the next couple of years is acquisition, we definitely plan to increase our usage of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We aligned several different service desks onto one platform. There is a cost savings in not maintaining multiple systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They could be more competitive with their licensing. We went to roll out asset management discovery and at the time they charge per network device only and you didn't get a price break until you were at 5k devices. To me, I would change the licensing to discovery of all devices. We made do with SCCM instead, but the limitation with using that is that we can only discovery over one domain.

CreatorCon is an event for Servicenow customers to show off what they've done with the tool. Servicenow benefits because they can partner with the customer to make a solution a permanent solution in the tool.

I have been using ServiceNow for 11 years.

In the 11 years that we've been using it, it's not gone down more than once; and we started with just one help desk on it — we now have five.

If you get the right person, the technical support is pretty good.

We used to use E-Service — it was horrible.

Deployment took four weeks.

A vendor helped us with the implementation. That made things pretty easy.

Our licensing is on a yearly basis. We normally end up doing a true-up payment because we tend to acquire more people and use more licenses.

Yes, Remedy (Salesforce), SysAid, Cherwell, TopDesk. Cherwell came in a close second.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to use a third-party vendor to help with the installation. Keep in mind, some are good, some aren't. You would have to send your staff away for training for about six months before they could even attempt to implement this solution.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give ServiceNow a rating of nine. There's always room for improvement, but it's the Cadillac of ticketing systems.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free ServiceNow Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.